On Line Library
Pennsylvania, May 6, 1839, and died at Beaver City, October 11, 1926.
Mr. Freas received his education in the public schools of Beaver City, and for the past 45 years has been engaged in the merchandise business at Beaver City. He holds membership in the Odd Fellows Lodge and was noble grand of the order in 1920, in the Rotary Club was sergeant of arms since 1928, and the Red Cross, being a life member. His political affiliation is with the Republican party. He was united in marriage with Jeanette Wainwright, at Beaver City, January 22, 1896. Mrs. Freas was born at Adrian, Michigan, March 1, 1867. They have one daughter, Dorothy Lucile, born October 26, 1900, who married Arthur Hubbard at Beaver City, on June 26, 1919. To them were born three children, Jeanette, April 15, 1920; Phyllis, August 21, 1921; and Marion, October 12, 1925. Residence: Beaver City. (Photograph in Album).
John William Frederick
A distinguished banker of Callaway, Nebraska, is John William Frederick who is a lifelong resident of this state. He was born at Gothenburg, Nebraska, September 25, 1885, the son of John George and Amanda Elizabeth (Sellars) Frederick. His father, who is a banker, was born at Falls City, Nebraska, of French and German parents, and is still living at Callaway. His mother, who was a teacher prior to her marriage, was born at Falls City, August 1, 1864.
Mr. Frederick was graduated from the Callaway High School in 1902, and the following year studied at Boyles Business College. He was bookkeeper for various business firms, was a clerk in a grocery store, bought livestock for a time, and in 1906 entered the banking business. He has been cashier of the Farmers State Bank of Callaway for 25 years.
He is treasurer of the Chamber of Commerce, is treasurer of the Rotary Club and the Callaway School Board, and holds membership in the Elks, Modern Woodmen of America, and the Royal Highlanders. He is a member of the Consistory and Shrine bodies of the Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His social club is the local golf club, and his favorite sports are fishing, hunting and baseball.
His marriage to Olive Ellen Pershall was solemnized at Broken Bow, Nebraska, May 10, 1909. Mrs. Frederick, whose ancestry is Welsh, was born at Hillsdale, Iowa, March 19, 1881. Residence: Callaway.
John Earl Freeland
One of the leading business men at Axtell, Nebraska, is John Earl Freeland, who was born there, February 15, 1900, and is now a successful furniture dealer and undertaker there. His father, John Swan Freeland, was engaged in the furniture and undertaking business at Axtell for over 40 years; he was born in Sweden, March 5, 1855, and died at Axtell, May 8, 1930, after a resident of nearly 50 years in that community. His mother, Esther Opetele (Pearson) Freeland, was born at Galesburg, Illinois, December 21, 1869.
Mr. Freeland was graduated from the high school at Minden, Nebraska, in 1918. He was engaged in business with his father until 1930, and is now operating the establishment independently at Axtell, where he is a director in the community band. He is affiliated with the First Presbyterian Church of Axtell, is a member of the Nebraska Funeral Directors Association, and holds membership in the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a member of the Shrine and Scottish Rite bodies of the Masons, and holds membership in the Republican party.
He was united in marriage with Elsie Signild Braum Peterson at Axtell, April 17, 1924. Mrs. Freeland was born at New York City, June 10, 1901. Residence: Axtell.
Born at Rock Island, Illinois, February 22, 1852, Truman Freeland, pioneer Nebraskan, has resided in Garfield County for the past sixty years.
His father, William Calvin Freeland, was a native of Kentucky, born January 19, 1825, a farmer and mechanic. He died in Texas County, Missouri, in 1914. His mother, born in Indiana, April 9, 1825, died in Garfield County, Nebraska, in October, 1909. Her maiden name was Mary A. Cox
Truman Freeland came to Nebraska, in 1870, settling two years later in Garfield County, where he built the first frame house. He was the second settler, the first, Charlie Jones, having preceded him by ten days. His nearest neighbor, Marion Littlefield, was killed by Indians near the Freeland home.
Mr. Freeland assisted in the original survey of Custer and Loup Counties in the early 1870's, and helped build the first bridge across the Platte River in Nebraska. On February 3, 1874, he was married to Almira Jane Russel at Rock Island, Illinois. She was born in Vermont, June 19, 1832 and died in Garfield County in October, 1905. There are two children of his second marriage, which occurred December 31, 1908; Elmer Calvin, born November 2, 1909, who was graduated from Burwell High School; and Jesse A., born April 29, 1912, who passed the eighth grade in district school.
The author of many articles for newspapers and magazines in Nebraska and elsewhere, Mr. Freeland's book of poems My Thoughts, published in 1912, is very beautiful. He has also written a history of Garfield County, which he has not yet published. He is a believer in the Golden Rule. He is a member of The Nebraskana Society and the Old Settlers' Association of Garfield County. Residence: Burwell.
Robert Miller Freeman
Born at Rural Retreat, Virginia, February 24, 1886, Robert M. Freeman is the owner of a truckline business in Nickerson, Nebraska. His father, Albert David Freeman, a retired farmer, was born at Rural Retreat, Virginia, May 31, 1859, as was his wife, Zobedia (Miller) Freeman, on January 21, 1860.
Mr. Freeman attended grade school and on January 20, 1909, at Groseclose, Virginia, married Beulah Elizabeth Dutton, a school teacher. Mrs. Freeman was also born at Rural Retreat, April 11, 1885.
Mr. and Mrs. Freeman have two children: Garland Lozerne, born July 31, 1911, and Lloyd David, born August 27, 1914.
Always active in civic progress, Robert M. Freeman has been serving on the school board at Nickerson, Nebraska, since 1926, and on the town board since 1924. He was a member of the Red Cross during the years 1916 to 1918, and is now a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Odd Fellows. Mr. Freeman is affiliated with the Nickerson Methodist Church. He has been a resident of this state for twenty-two years and is a Democrat. Residence: Nickerson.
William Freidell, a Nebraska pioneer merchant of half a century, is the son of Frederick and Anna M. (Kramer) Freidell. The father, born in Heimbrum, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, July 6, 1812, settled in Dansville, New York, where William Freidell was born June 7, 1858.
In 1879, lured by the exciting stories of the opportunities of the golden west, he came to Nebraska, and secured his first job with the firm of Stein & Kramer, of Kearney. Kearney at that time was the junction of the Burlington Railroad. The country was made up mostly of Swedes, and ranchers would drive from 25 to 200 miles to do their
shopping. Because of the distance, many of them driving teams of oxen, trips would be made about twice a year, and would often take from three to five days.
The change from New York State to Nebraska was very great, and Mr. Freidell received his first thrill when he joined Dr. C. D. Dildine, who drove a horse and buggy from Kearney to three miles southeast of Minden, to see a sick child. A heavy snow fell in the afternoon and the trails and roads became so covered that they were obliged to spend the night in a sod house.
In 1880, the boom was on in the Republican Valley, and William Freidell opened a branch store for his firm in Bloomington. The following year he was transferred to Republican City, and remained there until the crops were destroyed by hot winds. The stock was moved to Sutton, Nebraska, and there he managed the store until the firm sold out, when he accepted a position with the firm of C. Armstrong of Sutton.
Mr. Freidell, having confidence in Nebraska, opened a business for himself at Dorchester, in 1883, and has resided there ever since. From that year until 1892, the firm was William Freidell & Company, Wolf & Baltzley, of Crete, being the other members of the firm. In 1892 Mr. Freidell took over the business, and a year later took in W. P. Hanley as a partner. Thus the business was operated until 1896, when the big fire destroyed most of the business section of Dorchester. This caused a heavy loss to Mr. Freidell, and in the fall of 1896 he started at the bottom of the ladder again with borrowed money. He has steadily progressed during all these years, and after fifty-nine years of continuous retail experience, is cited as one of the oldest pioneer merchants operating in Nebraska.
He is able to recall the period in the nineties when farmers sold eggs at three cents a dozen and merchants didn't want them at that price; and remembers when corn on the ear sold at eight cents a bushel, and farmers used it for fuel rather than buy coal.
During the forty-nine years of his residence in Dorchester, he has always been classed as a Democrat, yet he has stepped from the ranks when he saw better men on the other ticket. He has served fifteen years on the city council and twenty-five on the board of education, sixteen of which were as its secretary. In 1890, he was a vital figure in the building of the new brick high school at a cost of $10,000.
Mr. Freidell is a member of the Methodist Church, and a Mason. He served as master of Doric Lodge No. 118, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, for many years, was secretary five years and delegate to grand lodge many times. He is a member of the Order of Eastern Star and was recently made a life member of The Nebraskana Society.
On December 7, 1884, Mr. Freidell was married to Ida Egolf, daughter of Jeremiah Egolf, a pioneer settler of Saline County. Mrs. Freidell lived in a sod house near the present town of Dorchester, when she came from Indiana in a covered wagon. She died on January 7, 1928.
To this union five children were born, two of whom died in childhood. The three remaining are: W. Russell Freidell, who has active charge of his father's business at Dorchester; Dr. Hugh F. Freidell, a prominent physician of Santa Barbara, California; and Mrs. Rhea (Freidell) Schultz of Omaha. Residence: Dorchester. (Photograph in Album).
W. Russell Freidell
W. Russell Freidell, World War veteran, Sunday School worker and Nebraska merchant, is the son of William and Ida Freidell of Dorchester, Nebraska.
His father, born in Dansville, New York, June 7, 1858, came to Nebraska in 1879, and is one of the oldest pioneer merchants still operating in Nebraska (see Nebraskana). His mother, born in Columbia City, Indiana, September 7, 1863, died at Dorchester, on January 7, 1928. She was the daughter of pioneer settlers who came from Indiana, in a covered wagon.
W. Russell Freidell was born in Dorchester, February 3, 1890, and most of his business experience has been in association with his father in the mercantile business. He received his education in the Dorchester public schools, graduating in 1907, and later attended the University of Nebraska. When but a young man he became very active in Sunday School work, and in 1910 was elected secretary and treasurer of the Saline County Sunday School Association. He served in that office three years and was then elected president.
During that period, for the first time in thirty-seven years he brought Saline County to the very top of the list of star counties in the state and took first awards given each year for the statistical report drives. He also published the History of Saline County Sunday School Work, which dated to May 26, 1874, and placed it in the hands of every Sunday School worker in Saline County.
In October, 1915, he opened a general merchandise store of his own at Arapahoe, Nebraska, operating it until the outbreak of the World War, when he sold his business and returned to Dorchester.
On December 4, 1917, he enlisted as a first class private in the Quartermaster Corps of the Regular Army, at Fort Omaha. He was ordered to Camp Joseph E. Johnson at Jacksonville, Florida, on December 24, 1917, where, together with fourteen other Quartermaster men he was sent to Camp Park Field at Millington, Tennessee, to take charge of the Quartermaster warehouse on that flying field. This detachment remained there during the rest of the war. During that time Mr. Freidell was advanced to the rank of sergeant, and had charge of all class A property on the field. In August, 1918, he escaped possible death when an airplane in which he was riding fell 2000 feet, landing in a tree. On April 3, 1919, special orders came to discharge Mr. Freidell, and after being sent to Camp Funston, Kansas, he was given his final discharge from the 1st Company 164th D. B. Brigade.
Since his return from the army he has managed his father's general merchandise store at Dorchester. He is unmarried. He is a member of August Post No. 264 of the American Legion at Dorchester; is a Master Mason, and past master of Done Lodge No. 118, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons at Dorchester; he belongs to the Lincoln Consistory of 32nd degree Masons, and to Sesostris Temple of the Shrine. Hc is a member of the Eastern Star, and the Methodist Church. He is a member of the Shrine Country Club at Lincoln, and was recently made a life member of The Nebraskana Society. Residence, Dorchester. (Photograph in Album).
Calvin Hervey French
Clergyman and educator, Calvin Hervey French, was born at Williamsburg, Clermont County, Ohio, June 13, 1862. He is the son Charles Porter and Mary Jane (Brown) French. His father, who was born at Lindley's Mills, in Washington County, Pennsylvania, 1828, and died at Grand Ridge, in La Salle County, Illinois, 1870, also was a clergyman. He was descended from a Scotch great grandfather who came to America from Glasgow prior to the Revolutionary War and settled in Germantown, Philadelphia; with one son he participated in that war.
Mary Jane French, his mother, was born at Triadelphia, Ohio County, West Virginia, in 1830, and died at Huron, South Dakota, in 1910. She was the great-grand-daughter of William Brown who held a record as soldier in the Revolutionary War.
Dr. French has been awarded the following degrees: A. B., Lake Forest College, Illinois, 1888; A. M., 1891; D. D., Wooster College, Ohio, 1904; LL. D., Huron College, South Dakota, 1913; D. D., Lake Forest College, Illinois, 1928. Dr. French received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Lake Forest College on the 40th anniversary of his graduation from that institution.
He was married to Anna Elizabeth Long at College Springs, Iowa, in July, 1897. Mrs. French, who was
born at College Springs, November 27, 1869, is of Scotch-Irish descent. There are three children: Robert Calvin, born January 13, 1899, an oil chemist; Ralph Voorhees, June 22, 1903, a banker in the far east; and Charles Louis, September 18, 1907, who is in business.
Dr. French has held various positions in educational and religious fields. He was pastor of the Presbyterian Church, Scotland, South Dakota, from 1891-1898; president of Huron College, 1898-1913; associate secretary of the Presbyterian College board, New York, 1913-17; president of Rollins College, Florida, 1917-19. Since 1920 he has been president of Hastings College.
Dr. French is a member of the Presbyterian Church, the Hastings Presbytery, and the Y. M. C. A. Aside from his religious affiliations he is active in the Red Cross, Rotary Club and the Hastings Chamber of Commerce, the Union League Club, Chicago, and the Town Hall Club of New York. His chief outdoor activity is golf. He resides at Hastings. (Photograph on Page 431).
John Alexis French
John Alexis French, a resident of this state practically all his life, was born at Edison, Nebraska, July 8, 1876, the son of Ira and Martha Melvina (Wells) French. His father, who was a farmer and carpenter, was born at Zionville, Indiana, October 16, 1848, and died at Edison, Nebraska, April 12, 1922; he was county commissioner in Furnas County from 1900 to 1906, where he homesteaded in 1873, one mile south and three miles west of Edison. His mother was born in Indiana, September 3, 1853, and died at Edison, February 14, 1893.
Mr. French engaged in the grain business at Edison, was with the Minden Grain Company for a year, was connected with the Updike Grain Company for six years at Edison, and for the past 20 years has been manager of the Farmers' Co-operative Grain Association there. He is a member of the Christian Church and of its official board, the *Modern Woodmen of America and posses a certifi-* (sic) Modern Woodmen of America and possesses a certificate of efficiency issued by the association in 1905, and signed by the head clerk, C. W. Hawes, testifying as to his efficient handling of all matters as local clerk of Camp No. 9180 at Edison, which office he has held for 27 years. He has been a member of the Edison village board, and at various times has served on the school board in his community, and was chairman of the board and its treasurer for one year. His hobby is reading.
On April 7, 1894, he married Kate Ostrom at Elwood, Nebraska. Mrs. French, whose ancestry is Pennsylvania Dutch and English, was born at Christy, Wisconsin, June 11, 1878, and is particularly active in church work and a member of the Farm Bureau Club. They are residing in the home built by Mr. French in 1906, a period of 26 years. Five children were born to this marriage, Freda Malvina, March 21, 1896, who married Hal H. Harlan, at Kearney, Nebraska, in 1917; Dale Alexis, born August 27, 1900, who married Jane Learned on August 27, 1921, at Holdrege, Nebraska; Mae Belle, born December 21, 1904, who married James T. Pierce on December 24, 1930, at Norton, Kansas; Bonnie Avery, born February 6, 1908, and at present is superintendent of schools at Loomis, Nebraska; and Lois, born August 16, 1910, who died September 20, 1916. Mr. French is affiliated with the Republican party. Residence: Edison. (Photograph in Album).
Latta Snider Frew
Latta S. Frew was born at Hastings, Nebraska, October 25. 1888, the daughter of John and Adda (Latta) Snider. Her father, who was born at Alden, Iowa, 1560, has been a lawyer at Hastings for many years and has served as county attorney and county judge of Adams County. His ancestry is German. Her mother, who was born in Iowa, in 1861, taught in the public schools at Hastings, for 10 years after her marriage and later served as deputy in her husband's office; she is of Scotch-Irish descent.
Mrs. Frew was graduated from the Hastings High School in 1906; received her A. B. from Nebraska Wesleyan University; and in 1912 was graduated from the music department of that institution. During her college days she was active in the Young Women's Christian Association, and was elected to membership in the Orophilian Society. She was granted her A. M. degree in English at Columbia University, 1919 German and music instructor in the high school at Humboldt, Nebraska, 1912-13, she held this position in the Hastings High School from 1913 to 1918.
In 1930 she taught in the Illinois Women's College at Jacksonville, Illinois; received the B. S. degree in library science at the University of Seattle, Washington, 1921; and was assistant in the Seattle Public Library in the circulation department for a year. She has lived in Nebraska practically all her life.
On June 8, 1922, she was married to Thomas A. Frew, near Seattle. She is a member of the Dorchester Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Women's Foreign Missionary Society. She holds membership in the Nebraskana Society and the Literary Guild Club. Her hobbies are reading and music. She is a Democrat. Residence: Dorchester.
Thomas A. Frew
On February 21, 1883, Thomas A. Frew was born at Crete, Nebraska, the son of John and Sarah (Booth) Frew. His father was born at Kilsyth, County Storlingshire, Scotland, September 12, 1841, came to America in the early 1870's and was a farmer at Dorchester, for many years. He died at Dorchester, November 26, 1921. His wife was born at Yorkshire, England, in 1855, and died in Saline County, June 6, 1908.
Mr. Frew, who has farmed in Nebraska for over 30 years, attended the district school near Crete. He is a member of the local school board, and holds membership in the Nebraskana Society and the Dorchester Methodist Church.
He married Willa B. Melvin at Fremont, Nebraska, December 27, 1916. She was principal of the Dorchester public schools before her marriage, and was born at Princeton, Missouri, July 25, 1880, and died at Crete, July 6, 1921. One child was born to this union, Elsie Elisabeth, born March 3, 1919. Mr. Frew was united in marriage with Latta Snider, June 8, 1922. They have four children: Helen Louise, born March 12, 1923; John Snider, born September 26, 1925; Latta Katherine, born June 15, 1927; and Dorothy Dunn, born May 3, 1929. Residence: Dorchester.
Clarence Elmer Frey
Clarence E. Frey was born at Lincoln, Nebraska, November 14, 1889, the son of Clarence Hayes Frey and Clara Ann (Sidles) Frey. His father, who was born at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, July 27, 1865, was a pioneer florist in Lincoln, where he founded the firm of Frey and Frey. This florist establishment was Lincoln's largest retail and wholesale business. He is now retired. H. H, Frey, father of Clarence H. Frey was a florist of Dutch descent; his mother, who was English, was a teacher.
Dr. Frey's mother was born in Stevenson County, Illinois, November 20, 1864. She was the daughter of Charles Sidles, a Civil War veteran, and Sarah Lowery Sidles. Now an invalid she has been very active in Methodist church work.
Dr. Frey attended the Lincoln grade schools, the normal high school and Nebraska Wesleyan Academy. He was a student at Nebraska Wesleyan University, and the College of Pharmacy of the University of Nebraska, and
1919 was granted his M. D. at the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio. He was president of Franklin Literary Society at Wesleyan University.
After serving as interne at the Christ Hospital at Cincinnati for two years, Dr. Frey was resident physician at St. Elizabeth's hospital at Lincoln for one year. He is now engaged in private medical practice and is a member of the staff at St. Elizabeth's Hospital. He is the author of numerous medical articles and a book, Shep, a child's story of a dog, published in 1899.
He was married to Julia Elizabeth Van Pamele at Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska, January 23, 1913. Mrs. Frey, who was born at Patterson, New Jersey, May 12, 1892, is a descendent of the house of Noe of the Belgian nobility. They have one son: Clarence Van Pamele, born March 2, 1914, who is a student at Lincoln High School; he has written some promising poetry which has been published.
Dr. Frey is a member of the Lancaster County Medical Society, the Nebraska State Medical Society, American Medical Association, Elkhorn Valley Medical Society, International Postgraduate Medical Society, and the Missouri Valley Medical Association. He is a member of the National Geographic Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce, the Red Cross, and the Anti-Saloon League of Nebraska. He is a Mason, member of Ben Hur, and the Yeoman. His hobbies are the study of philosophy, psychology, and bee-keeping. Residence: Lincoln.
John Joseph Freymann
John J. Freymann, educator and physician at Omaha, was born at LeMars, Plymouth County, Iowa, December 13, 1889. His father, Nicholas Freymann, who was a grain merchant, was born in Jackson County, Iowa, February 22, 1854, and died at LeMars, August 28, 1920. His parents came from the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg, to America. Elizabeth (Wentink) Freymann, his mother, was born at Port Washington, Wisconsin, and died at LeMars, November 19, 1891. Her anceestors(sic) came from Holland.
Dr. Freymann attended school at St. Catherine's School, Oyens, Iowa, 1905; Campion High School; and Prairie du Chien High School, from which he was graduated in 1908. He was graduated from Marquette University with the degree A. B., 1911; A. M., 1913. He received his M. D. at Creighton University in 1917. He was a member of Phi Rho Sigma, medical fraternity. He was admitted to the practice of medicine in Douglas County, November 19, 1919, and has been prominent in educational and medical work since that date.
During 1917-18-19, he was medical officer in the United States Navy. Now lieutenant commander in the Medical Corps of the United States Naval Reserve he is medical officer of the 43rd Fleet Reserve Division stationed at Omaha. He is a member of the Douglas County Medical Society; the Nebraska State Medical Society; the Interstate Post Graduate Medical Society; and the American Medical Association. He is a member of the faculty at Creighton University Medical School, and holds membership in the Nebraskana Society, the National Geographic Society, and the Omaha Executives Association. His social club is the Omaha Athletic Club. He is a Democrat.
On May 31, 1919, he was united in marriage with Marion Wicks at Phiiadelphia. Mrs. Freymann was born at Los Angeles, California. Four children were born to this union: Moxley Sorrel, born January 13, 1921, who died June 4, 1921; John Gordon, born April 9, 1922; Moye Nicholas, born September 2, 1925; and Jarvis, born February 28, 1927. Residence: Omaha.
Charles B. Fricke
Born at Madison, Nebraska, January 6, 1884, Charles B. Fricke is the son of Herman and Johanna (Rugge) Fricke. His father, a farmer and implement dealer, was born in Hanover, Germany, April 17, 1843, and died at Omaha, May 20, 1931. His wife, Johanna, was born in Hanover, May 20, 1850, and died at Omaha August 30, 1932.
Charles B. Fricke was graduated from Madison High School in 1904, and received the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy in 1906. From that time until 1911 he was instructor at the Creighton College of Pharmacy, and since then has been in business at Council Bluffs, Iowa, and Columbus, Nebraska.
Mr. Fricke is vice president of the First Investment Company, and vice president of the Equitable Building and Loan Association at Columbus. Active in civic and community affairs, he has been president of the Columbus Credit Bureau (1927), president of the Lions Club (1927), president of the Young Men's Christian Association (1930) and master of the Columbus Lodge of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (1929). He is affiliate with the Federated Church, is a member of The Nebraskana Society and the Wayside Country Club. He enjoy fishing and golf.
On June 1913 Mr. Fricke was married to Laura May Smith at Council Bluffs. She was born at Stratford, Ontario, February 14, 1892, the daughter of Robert H. and Ellen M. Smith. There are three children, Jean, born Angust 30, 1920; Doris, born June 13, 1927; and Mary, born August 30, 1931. Residence: Columbus.
Henry Friday, one of the earliest settlers of Pierce County, Nebraska, was born at Bielefeld, Germany, April 20, 1858, and for the past 50 years has engaged in contracting and building near Osmond, Nebraska. He is the son of Christian Friday and Florentine Friday, the former a paper manufacturer who was born at Bielefeld. His mother was a native of Bielefeld, and died there in 1880.
Mr. Friday was graduated from the public school at at Bielefeld, Germany, and since then has engaged in contracting and building near there. He is connected with the Farmers Lumber Yard, the Farmers Elevator Company, and is a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Osmond. He has been a Mason for the past 30 years.
Upon his arrival in this country Mr. Friday settled first in Illinois, coming to Nebraska two years later where he homesteaded in Holt County. He was married at Davenport, Iowa, January 24, 1910, to Anna Wichmann, who was born at Round Grove, Iowa, November 25, 1872. They have a daughter, Dorothy E., born April 6, 1914. Residence: Osmond.
Ernest Leslie Fried
Ernest L. Fried, who has lived in this state all his life, was born at Fremont, Nebraska, September 10, 1873, the son of Carl August and Mary Anna (Gustofson) Fried. His father, who was born in Sweden, and died at Omaha, August 16, 1887, was for many years manager and buyer for Lee, Fried & Company, a firm which he organized in 1880. His mother was born in Sweden and died at Omaha, December 1, 1916.
Mr. Fried attended the Izard and Lake schools at Omaha, and for two years was a student at the Omaha High School. From 1891 to 1895 he was a clerk for the company, Lobeck & Linn, at Omaha; was stock keeper and salesman for W. J. Broatch, 1895-99; acted as salesman and buyer for the James Morton & Son Company at Omaha, 1900 to 1913; and since 1913 has owned and operated a hardware store at Beemer, Cuming County, Nebraska.
Republican, he has held the following public offices:
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller