On Line Library
Letton. A resident of Nebraska since July 1869, Mr. Letton's career has been interesting and varied. A Republican, he has served as city attorney of Fairbury, county attorney of Jefferson County, judge of the first judical (sic) district 8 years and was Supreme Court commissioner 1904 and 1905 and judge of the Supreme Court 19 years. He is the author of numerous legal addresses and articles and more than six hundred opinions of the Supreme Court of Nebraska. Prior to his election to the bench he practiced law in Fairbury 14 years, the last seven as a member of the firm of Letton and Hinshaw. Mr. Hinshaw later became a member of Congress, serving several terms.
On January 1, 1927 Mr. Letton was appointed clerk of the Supreme Court for a term of six years. A charter member of the American Institute of law, he served as president of the Nebraska State Bar Association in 1905, and as vice president for Nebraska of the American Bar Association 1925-26. He is a charter member of the Lincoln Kiwanis Club, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Nebraska Art Association, and since 1927 a member of the Nebraska Public Library Commission. In addition to the position of clerk of the Supreme Court, Mr. Letton is State Librarian. He is a member of the Nebraska State Historical Association, the Nebraskana Society, and belongs to the Lincoln University Club.
He was married to Althera Hosmer Pike of Carmel, Maine, at Fairbury, September 2, 1885. Mrs. Letton was born in Maine, and is descended from early settlers in Massachusetts. She was state regent of the Daughters of the American Revolution 1907-08; state president of the Daughters of Founders and Patriots 1928-30; and is a member of the Colonial Dames of America. There are two sons, Harry P., born in 1886, who was captain in the Engineers, American Expeditionary Forces in the World War; and William A., born in 1889, who is the auditor of a bank in Denver. Residence: Lincoln.
Harry Pike Letton
Harry P. Letton was born at Fairbury, Nebraska, May 28, 1886, the son of Charles B. and Althera H. (Pike) Letton. His father, who was born at Edinburgh, Scotland, October 25, 1853, is a former judge of the district court of Nebraska, and served as judge of the supreme court, 1906-24. He is now clerk of the supreme court and state librarian of Nebraska. He came to Nebraska with his parents and settled near Fairbury, in 1869.
His mother, who was born at Carmel, Penobscot County, Maine, July 5, 1863, is of New England ancestry. She served as state regent of the Daughters of the American Revolution, 1907-08, and was national vice president of that organization in 1914.
Mr. Letton was graduated from the Fairbury High School in 1904. He received his B. S. degree in civil engineering at the University of Nebraska in 1909. From 1910 to 1911 he was a student at Massachusetts Institute of Technology at Boston. He was elected to membership in Sigma Tau, honorary engineering fraternity, and to Kappa Sigma and is now alumnus advisor to the Nebraska University chapter of this society.
He was sanitary engineer of the New Jersey State Board of Health, 1911-13; held this position in the United States Public Health Service, 1913-1919; was a member of the engineering firm, Grant, Fulton & Letton, at Lincoln, 1919-28. Since 1928 he has been connected with the firm Burns Potter & Company, dealing in stocks and bonds at Omaha and Lincoln. He is the author of several articles on sanitary engineering subjects, published in technical publications. He has lived in Nebraska for 34 years.
On November 18, 1911, his marriage to Ethel M. Kirby was solemnized at Springfield, Illinois. Mrs. Letton was born at Liberty, Gage County, Nebraska, December 8. 1886. They have one son, Harry, born April 12, 1915.
Mr. Letton served as captain of the engineering corps with the American Expeditionary Forces during the World War; he was engaged in water supply activities from 1917 to 1919. He is a member of the American Legion, serving as first commander of Lincoln Post Number 3. He holds membership in the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce; Lincoln Executives Club; Hiram Club; and Lincoln Collectors Club. He is a member of Masonic Lodge Number 54, Scottish Rite bodies of Lincoln. His favorite sport is golf, and ih (sic) sohbby (sic) is philately. Residence: Lincoln.
August John Leuthauser
August J. Leuthauser, a prominent banker at Beemer, Cuming County, Nebraska, has lived in this state all his life, and has been a farmer, teacher, and banker since 1908. He was born at Stanton, Stanton County, Nebraska, February 4, 1878, the son of Meta (Dammann) Leuthauser and August Leuthauser. His father, who was a clergyman, was born at Grumpen, Saxony, Germany, January 23, 1849, and died at Concord, Dixon County, Nebraska, December 17, 1909; he left Germany May 6, 1866, boarded the ship Bremen May 9, and arrived in New York, May 22, at the age of 17 years. His mother was born at Hanover, Germany, November 23, 1853, and died at Grand Island, Hall County, Nebraska, December 6, 1924.
Mr. Leuthauser attended the parochial and public schools at Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska, until 1891, and was a student at Lutheran Seminary at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Since 1908 he has been cashier of the First National Bank of Beemer. He is also a director of this institution. He is a member of the Beemer Community Club; is secretary of the Beemer Lions Club; has been a member of the school board for many years and is now secretary of the board; and holds membership in the Nebraskana Society. He is a member of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church at Beemer, and for the past 21 years has been secretary of the congregation. He is an independent Democrat.
He was married to Martha E. Piper at Wisner, Cuming County, Nebraska, December 4, 1902. Mrs. Leuthauser was born at Wisner, December 12, 1881, the daughter of August and Theresia (Breetzke) Piper; her parents were born in Germany. Four children were born to them: Agatha M., born August 27, 1905; Edna H., born October 30, 1906; Olive M., born September 8, 1910; and Norman A., born June 21, 1916. Agatha was graduated from Kansas Agricultural College, at Manhattan, Kansas, and is now a home economics teacher. Edna was a student at Ames and Kansas Agricultural College at Manhattan; she is now married to Carl Wendorf. Olive attended the University of Nebraska. Norman is in high school.
During the World War Mr. Leuthauser assisted in loan drives and war savings stamp campaigns. He is a member of the Beemer Red Cross and takes an active interest in community progress and welfare work. His hobby is reading. Golf is his favorite recreation. Residence: Beemer. (Photograph on Page 714).
Victor Emanuel Levine
Victor Emanuel Levine, prominent physician, scientist, and educator of Nebraska, was born at Minsk, Russia, August 4, 1891. His father, Israel Levine, was born at Minsk in 1864. His mother, Eva L. (Meisels) Levine, was born at Minsk in 1862.
Dr. Levine attended the public schools of New York City and in 1905 was graduated from Townsend Harris Hall at New York. He holds the following degrees: A. B., 1909, College of the City of New York; A. M., 1911, Columbia University; Ph.D., 1914, Columbia University; and M. D., 1928, School of Medicine, Creighton University. He was a student at Johns Hopkins University, 1919-21 and attended Toronto University, 1923. He is a member of Pi Gamma Mu, of Phi Delta Epsilon, and has
been marshall and counsul of the Alpha Chi Chapter.
He has held the following positions through which he has distinguished himself in educational and professional circles: instructor in biological chemistry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 1913-16, assistant professor of organic chemistry, Fordham University, 1916-17; director of the pathological laboratories, Beth Israel Hospital, New York, 1917-18; assisotant (sic) professor of biological chemistry, School of Medicine, Creighton University, 1918-20; and since 1920 has been head of department and professor of biological chemistry and nutrition, School of Medicine, at Creighton. He is also advisory director of the Graduate School of chemistry at Creighton University.
Dr. Levine is the author of over 200 articles relating to original research and to general and special topics in the field of biological chemistry, nutrition, and public health. His researches in the field of nutrition has led him into the Arctic where he studied the health habits and dietary habits of the Eskimo. He is part author of International Clinics, Volume III, published in 1929 by J. B. Lippincott Company of Philadelphia, and also volumes I and II published in 1930. He is the editor of: Dietary Administration and Therapy, published in Cleveland, Ohio; and associate editor of Archives of Physical Therapy, published in Chicago. He is director of the Health Education department of the Dwarfies Corporation, at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
He is captain in the medical department of the Chemical Warfare Service of the United States Reserve Army, and holds a certificate of capacity for major. He is a member of the Reserve Officers' Association, of which he is historian. He holds membership. in the following professional organizations: Douglas County Medical Society, Nebraska State Medical Association, Missouri Valley Medical Association, and the American Medical Association in which he holds a fellowship.
Dr. Levine also holds fellowships in the following scientific societies: New York Academy of Science, of which he was secretary of the section of physics, chemistry, and astronomy, 1914-16; American Public Health Association; Royal Society of Arts and Science of Great Britain; Royal Institute of Philosophic Studies, of Great Britain; American Geographical Society; the American Institute of Chemistry; American Congress of Physical Therapy, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He is a member of: the American Bacteriological Society; American Botanical Society; Society for the Study of Internal Secretions; Annual Biochemical Conference; Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. He is also a member of the American Chemical Society and has been president of the Omaha section in 1925.
He has recently been appointed one of the five members that constitute the Research Council of the American Congress of Physical Therapy. It is the aim of this Research Council to plan and organize research in the various universities of America in the field relating to such radiations as ultra violet, infra-red, diathermy and X-Rays. The Research Council also has control of the funds available for research.
He is also an advisory member of the Committee for the Introduction of Nutrition in the Curriculum of the American Medical Schools. This committee, appointed by the American Dietetic Association at its annual meeting held in Toronto, in 1930, consists of three members representing the American Dietetic Association, one member representing the American Hospital Association, and one member (Dr. Levine) representing the medical schools.
He is at present (1931-32) president of the Nebraska Academy of Sciences. He is also serving as director of the Professional Men's Club at Omaha, and as director of the Society for the Friendless, a state organization that deals with the rehabilitation of convicts. He is a member of the Medical Editors' and Authors' Association and of the Nebraska Writers' Guild. He is at present writing a syndicated column entitled "Keeping Fit for Success," which appears weekly in over four hundred newspapers.
Dr. Levine is listed in Who's Who Among North American Authors, in American Men of Science, in Who's Who Among Educators, and Who's Who in America. His sports include: hiking; tennis; swimming; and equitation. His hobby is literature. Residence: Omaha. (Photograph on Page 716).
Mark Levy, retired merchant and salesman, was born at Malsch Ettlingen, Baden, Germany, December 15, 1854, and came to the United States in March, 1871. His father, Nathan David Levy, was born at Malsch, in 1800, and died thereon July 4, 1874. He was a farmer and merchant. His wife, also born at Malsch, died there on January 4, 1894.
Mr. Levy attended German public and Hebrew schools. After leaving school Mr. Levi engaged in the mercantile business in Vermont, and later was a salesman in New England and the West. From 1885 until 1909, he was in the clothing business in Hastings, and from 1913 to 1925 operated a ladies' ready-to-wear establishment there. In 1888, Mr. Levy began to acquire the first of his extensive land holdings. Retiring in 1925, he devotes his time to looking after his farms in Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas.
Always active in Republican politics, Mr. Levy was member of the Hastings city council 1891-1901; president of that council four years; chairman of the light committee at the time the municipal light plant was organized; chairman of the Republican county central committee in 1901; district committeeman for Captain Adams and Senator Norris when they first ran for office. Later Mr. Levy served two more terms in the city council.
A pioneer beet grower in Nebraska, he raised the first sugar beets in Adams County, in 1901, having learned how to raise them on his father's farm in Germany. He was agent for Exnard Beet Sugar Company at that time, and educated the farmers in that section of Nebraska in the art of growing sugar beets.
On October 31, 1886, Mr. Levy was married to Anna Sichl, at Nebraska City. Mrs. Levy, who was born at Carlsbad, Bohemia, in 1858, died at Hastings, on February 6, 1899. To them were born two daughters, Mabel, on April 9, 1890, who married Phillip Pizer; and Ruth, born July 18, 1893, who married Leopold Loeb.
On October 9, 1900, Mr. Levy was married to Alyne Friend at Lincoln. They have three children, Miriam, born October 31, 1901; Yetta Judith, June 15, 1903, and Nathan Simon, born November 21, 1909. All are high school graduates, and have attended college and the state university.
During the World War, Mr. Levy was local chairman for Jewish Relief Drives. President of the Hastings Commercial Club during 1895, 1896, he has served as president of Mount Sinai Cemetery Association since 1890. Of the Jewish faith, he is a teacher and organizer of the Jewish Sunday School. He is a master Mason, and the possessor of a fifty-year jewel, is a member of Hastings Consistory, 32nd degree, K. C. C. H., Tehama Temple, and is a member of Lincoln City Lodge of B'nai Brith.
Mr. Levy has always taken an interest in, and supported all worth while activities, and all efforts toward the betterment of his community. Residence: Hastings.
Charles E. Lewis
Charles E. Lewis, realtor, was born in Gordon Nebraska. October 18, 1888, son of Harry H. and Arvilla (Bachelor) Lewis. His father is retired and is of Yankee ancestry. Arvilla Bachelor was born at Correctionville, Iowa, and is also retired. Her ancestry is Irish.
In 1907 Mr. Lewis was graduated from high school
at Valentine, Nebraska, and in 1908 completed a business course at Boyles Business College in Omaha. At the present time he is secretary and treasurer of the Northwestern Realty Company of Valentine, and secretary and treasurer of the Northwestern Livestock Sales Company of Valentine. He is a Republican.
He is married to Minnie C. Hornback, who was born in Valentine, in June, 1888. There are two children, Helen, born January 10, 1909; and Pauline, born November 21, 1919.
Mr. Lewis is a member of the Methodist Church, the Rotary Club, and the Masons. Residence: Valentine.
Edward Rust Lewis
Edward Rust Lewis was born at Little Rock, Arkansas, February 23, 1886, the son of Edward Samuel and Anna Carrie (Sparks) Lewis. His father, who was born at Natick, Massachusetts, August 24, 1855, is a doctor of divinity, author, and consulting editor in the Methodist Book Concern at Cincinnati, Ohio; his Englsh (sic) ancestors settled in New England in the early history of the country. His mother, whose ancestry is English, was born near Cincinnati, July 2, 1856, and died at Cincinnati, in 1921.
Dr. Lewis attended the elementary schools of Cleveland and Cincinnati, and was graduated from the East High School at Columbus, 1903. He holds the following degrees: A. B., 1907; A. M., 1908; both from the Ohio State University. He was awarded the Ph. D. degree at Boston University in 1929. He was a student at Harvard University during the sammer (sic) sessions of 1907, was a student at Union Theological Seminary, New York City, 1908-11 where he was awarded magna cum laude honors, and Columbia University, 1910-12. He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Pi Kappa Delta, and Phi Kappa Tau.
He was engaged in missionary educational work in Canada, under the Presbyterian Board, for a time, was a minister in New York, and southern Ohio, Methodist Conferences, 1912-22, was professor of philosophy at Wesley College, 1922-23, and was a lecturer in philosophy at Boston University, 1923-24. He has been professor of philosophy at Nebraska Wesleyan University since 1924.
Dr. Lewis is a member of the American Association of University Professors, is president of the local chapter of N. W. U., 1930-32, and is a member of The Nebraska Writers Guild. He holds membership in the Philosophy Club, the Nebraskana Society, and the Symposium. He has been a frequent lecturer and speaker on religious and educational themes, and from 1925-1932 was lecturer in the Bible department of the Lincoln Woman's Club. He is a member of Pi Gamma Mu, and is a contributor to the official publication of this organization. His hobby is travel.
On November 25, 1912, he was united in marriage with Susan Choate Van Vliet at New York City. Mrs. Lewis who was a kindergarten teacher before her marriage, was born at Brookville, Pennsylvania, July 10, 1887. They have three children: Edward, born January 6, 1914; Ruth born September 4, 1916; and Mary, born May 4, 1918.
Dr. Lewis is the author of numerous articles in journals published by the Abingdon Press at Cincinnati, Ohio, and several articles published in Social Science, a quarterly of the Methodist Review. Residence: Lincoln.
Nelson Hiram Lewis
Nelson Hiram Lewis, a prominent physician at Benkelman, Nebraska, was born at Bellcenter, Wisconsin, August 9, 1868, the son of John Bird and Rhoda Amanda (Thompson) Lewis. His father, who was a farmer and served in the Civil War, was born near Indianapolis, Indiana, February 4, 1836, and died at Owatanna, Minnesota, July 22, 1916; his Welsh ancestors were early settlers in Virginia. His mother, who was born at Bowling Green, Ohio, June 24, 1842, and died at Detroit, Michigan, February 25, 1928, was descended from English ancestors who settled in Hartford, Connecticut, prior to the Revolution. Her grandfather served in the Revolutionary War. His grandfather went to California in the early days via the old Oregon Trail with an ox team, and his recollection of early life includes shooting bear cubs from a tree within a few rods of his home.
Dr. Lewis received the degree of Doctor of Medicine at Marquette University in 1905, practiced medicine at McDonald, Kansas, from 1905 to 1915, and since 1915 has been a physician at Benkelman, Nebraska. He holds membership in the Lions Club, the Nebraska State Medical Society, the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows, and the Masons.
He was united in marriage with Jeannette Korbmacher at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 3, 1906. Mrs. Lewis, whose ancestry is French and Dutch, was born at Milwaukee, May 10, 1880. She is a member of the Eastern Star and the Methodist Church. Two children were born to this marriage, Jerome B., March 7, 1909, at McDonald, Kansas; and Ruth K., February 10, 1912, at McDonald, Kansas. Residence: Benkelman. (Photograph in Album).
Samuel Arion Lewis, Jr.
Samuel A. Lewis was born at Omaha, Nebraska, January 27, 1900, the son of Samuel and Jessie (Anderson) Lewis. His father, who was born at Fort Wayne, Indiana, August 25, 1866, is a lawyer, whose ancestors came to America in 1600. His mother, who was born at Hull, England, March 19, 1873, is still living.
Mr. Lewis attended the Dundee grade school at Omaha, and in 1919 was graduated from Central High School there. He received his LL. B. degree from the University of Nebraska where he was graduated cum laude June 4, 1923. He was made a member of the Order of the Coif; was a member of the freshman and sophomore honorary societies; and was elected to Theta Chi and Delta Theta Phi.
A resident of Nebraska all his life; since 1923 he has been engaged in general law practice at Omaha. He is a member of the firm Webb, Kelley & Lewis at the present time.
His marriage to Fae Talmadge Cobb was solemnized at Glenwood, Iowa, June 21, 1924. Mrs. Lewis was born at Waterloo, Nebraska, June 15, 1902.
Mr. Lewis is a member of the Omaha Bar Association, the Nebraska State Bar Association, and the Commercial Law League of America. He is affiliated with the Dundee Presbyterian Church at Omaha; and is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He is a Republican. His sports are hunting, fishing and golfing. Residence: Omaha.
Walter Edward Lewis
Walter Edward Lewis, president of the Lewis Oil Company, was born at Dawson, Iowa, May 31, 1885, son of Charles Wesley and Florence (Gant) Lewis. His father, who was born in Illinois, is descended from early settlers in New York state. Florence Gant was born in Iowa, and was descended from early settlers in the eastern colonies.
Mr. Lewis attended country school and was engaged in the contracting business for fifteen years. For the past ten years he has been engaged in the oil business, and is president of the Lewis Oil Company, Incorporated, of Nebraska.
On January 22, 1914, he was married to Emma Nise at Dawson. She was born in Iowa, in 1883, and died at Fremont, December 18, 1926. There are five children of this marriage, as follows: Veldon, born February 22, 1906, who married Vera Johnson; Vernon, born May 25, 1909, who married Corabelle Graham; Metta, born May 27, 1912; Donald, born January 21, 1917, and Stephen, born December 5, 1920. Veldon is in the wholesale oil business.
Mr. Lewis is a member of the United Brethren Church, the Chamber of Commerce, the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. His hobbies are fishing and hunting. Residence: Fremont.
Rollie Walter Ley
Rollie W. Ley, banker and prominent citizen of Wayne, Nebraska, for over 50 years, was born at Jordan, Minnesota, May 15, 1879. His father, who was likewise a banker and merchant, was born July 5, 1850, in Wisconsin, and died at Wayne, February 13, 1925; his ancestry was German.
Mr. Ley attended the Wayne High School and later was graduated for the State Teachers College at Wayne, and the University of Nebraska. He is at present president of the State National Bank of Wayne. During the World War he served as chairman of the Liberty loan drives and War Savings campaigns. He is a member of the Episcopalian Church, The Nebraskana Society, and the Democratic party.
On October 8, 1902, he was married to Pearl Effie Reynolds, at Fullerton, Nebraska. Mrs. Ley, whose ancestry is English, was born in Iowa, October 1, 1877, and died at Wayne, February 1, 1930. Their children are: Henry, born October 25, 1903; Joy Margaret, born April 18, 1906; Mary Alice, born November 5, 1909; Marjorie, born June 21, 1912; and Josephine, born December 15, 1918. Residence: Wayne. (Photograph in Album).
E. E. Lichty
E. E. Lichty was born at Somerset, Pennsylvania, May 21, 1860. His father, Samuel A. Lichty, was born at Somerset, April 8, 1833, and died at Waterloo, Black Hawk County, Iowa, June 28, 1902. Cevilla Weitzel wife of Samuel Lichty, was born in Germany, and died at Waterloo, Iowa, April 10, 1908.
Mr. Lichty attended public school, and on September 5, 1889, he was united in marriage with Rebecca M. Musser, who was born at Berlin, Pennsylvania. They have one child, Ralph, born October 21, 1890.
Mr. Lichty has been a resident of Nebraska for forty-five years. He is a Democrat, is affiliated with the Brethren Church of Carleton, Nebraska. He holds membership in the Nebraskana Society. Residence: Carleton.
Fred August Liebers
Fred August Liebers, farmer and veteran of the World War, was born at Minden, Nebraska, February 26, 1894, son of Christian August and Anna W. (Kohler) Liebers.
The father was born in Garnsdorf, Germany, February 22, 1853, and served in the German army, as a noncommissioned officer. He came to the United States in 1884, settling in Kearney County, where he was very successful as a farmer and business man. He died at Minden, March 8, 1908. His wife, Anna, was born in Auerswalde, Germany, February 8, 1851. Her father, an engineer, helped to construct and operate the important railroads in their province.
In 1915 Mr. Liebers was graduated from the Nebraska School of Agriculture, and latter attended the University of Nebraska until 1917, when he entered military service, lacking one semester of graduation.
From October 5, 1917, until June 12, 1919, Mr. Liebers served with Company F, 314 Motor Supply Train, 89th Division. He was with the American Expeditionary Forces, and participated in the following engagements, Lucey, August 8, to September 11, 1918; St. Mihiel, September 12, to September 16, 1918; Euzizes, September 17, to October 7, 1918; and the Meuse-Argonne, October 9 to November 11, 1918.
While in the school of agriculture Mr. Liebers was president of his second year class, president of the Young Men's Christian Association four years, president of his literary society, major of the first battalion, lieutenant colonel his fourth year at the university, president of the United Agricultural Society, 1917, president of the Kearney County Club, 1917, and member of the Agricultural Club. He is a charter member of Kappa Chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho.
On June 29, 1919, Mr. Liebers was married to Winifred Martha Randall at Bennet. She was a school teacher, born at Seattle, Washington, October 9, 1891. They have one son, Wayne Randall, born December 14, 1928.
With the exception of the two years spent in the army, Mr. Liebers has lived in Nebraska all his life. He is a former member of the board of directors of the Kearney Co-operative Creamery Company, and former secretary. He is a member of the American Legion, and was commander of Bennet Post No. 280, 1929, 1930, 1931, and commander of Lancaster County 1931. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, the Bennet Community Club (president 1930-31). He is a Mason. Residence: Rennet.
Otto Hugo Liebers
In 1884 August Liebers and his wife, Anna (Koehler) Liebers, came to America from Germany and settled at Minden, Nebraska. It was here that Otto Hugo Liebers was born on June 25, 1887. He attended country grade school, the Minden High School, and Grand Island Baptist College. From 1906-09 he was a student at the State University School of Agriculture, graduating at the head of his class in 1909. From 1909-13 he was a student at the University of Nebraska from which he received his Bachelor of Science degree in June, 1913. During his time at the university he was president of the Agricultural Club, editor of the Cornhusker Countryman, a member of the livestock judging team in 1909, both the fruit judging and the dairy teams in 1910. He is a member of Alpha Zeta.
He was married to Ethel Leta Kindig at Holmesville, Nebraska, September 3, 1913. Mrs. Liebers, who was born at Benson, Illinois, July 25, 1888, is of English and German descent. There are three children, Laurence, born June 14, 1914; Harry, born December 6, 1916, and Ruth, born July 9, 1918.
During the years 1913-16 Mr. Liebers was county agricultural agent for Gage County, and from 1916-19 was agricultural and industrial agent for the Burlington Railroad at Denver. Returning to Lincoln in 1919 he organized and became president of the Liebers Equipment Company of Lincoln, continuing three years. Since 1924 he has been manager of the Nebraska Dairy Development Society.
In 1909 he was captain of the University Cadets, and served in the Food Administration during the World War. He is a member of the Second Presbyterian Church, the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce, and is an 18th degree Mason, and member of the Blue Lodge, Knights Templar and Scottish Rite bodies. His hobbies are flowers and boys. Residence: Lincoln. (Photograph in Album).
Chester J. Lienhart
For nearly three decades Chester J. Lienhart has been an outstanding citizen of Nebraska. Born at Akron, Colorado, April 28, 1890, he is the son of C. F. and Mary J. (Jones) Lienhart. His father, a druggist, and in later years a realtor and banker, was born in Stratford, Ontario, Canada, April 29, 1858, and settled in Kearney County in 1874. He was a leading Democrat, and at one time served as national committeeman. His death occurred at Hastings, April 3, 1918. His wife, Mary,
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller