On Line Library
ville, Kentucky, December 9, 1857; her ancestry is Swiss. Mr. Luehrs attended school at Kankakee, until 1898, when be became a carpenter. He was a building contractor for 32 years, and today is president of the Luehrs-Christensen Lumber & Coal Company. He is vice president of the Park Side Apartments, and is the owner of the Nearcourt Apartments, a business building, three residences, and a 160 acre farm. He is also president of the People's Co-operative Store at Fremont.
His marriage to Bessie Fauquet was solemnized at Wahoo, Saunders County, Nebraska, September 25, 1908. Mrs. Luehrs, who was a teacher before her marriage, was born at Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska, and died at Fremont, December 27, 1919; her ancestry was French. Four children were born to this union, Glen Clair, born April 10, 1910; Wilbur Ralph, born November 11, 1909; Arthur Robert, born February 28, 1917; and Bessie Marie, born December 27, 1919. Glen is a high school teacher. Mr. Luehrs was married to Adolphine Feichtinger, a trained nurse, at Wahoo, January 24, 1921.
He is a director of the Chamber of Commerce, the Retail Association, and the Young Men's Christian Association. Since 1929 he has been president of the Fremont School Board, and for several years has been trustee of Midland College and Grand Island College. He is affiliated with the First Baptist Church at Fremont, is a member of the Odd Fellows, and holds membership in the Nebraskana Society. He is a Republican. His sports include hunting, fishing, and boating. Residence: Fremont. (Photograph in Album).
A lifelong resident of this state, Eric Luhn was born at Blue Hill, Nebraska, September 18, 1894, the son of Peter and Wilhelmina Catherine (Frahm) Luhn. His father, who was born at Oconto, Wisconsin, February 28, 1865, is a retired farmer. His mother was born of German parents at Fuersville, Missouri, Nevember (sic) 10, 1867.
Mr. Luhn was graduated from the elementary schools of Webster County in 1905 and was graduated from the Christian Day School in 1909. He is a member of St. Pauls Lutheran Church, is past director of the Blue Hill School Board, and holds membership in the Nebraskana Society and the Masonic Lodge.
During the World War he served as a private in the United States Army and at this time he is a member and Past Commander of the American Legion at Blue Hill.
On March 7, 1925, he married Helen Barbara Schulz at Blue Hill. Mrs. Luhn, who was a teacher before her marriage, was born of German parentage at Blue Hill, February 24, 1901. They have two children: Rodney Gene, born May 12, 1926; and Marion Suzanne, born June 7, 1931. Residence: Blue Hill.
William Albert Luke
William Albert Luke, general secretary of the Lincoln Young Men's Christian Association, has lived in Nebraska for the past 44 years. He was born at Swan, Iowa, April 11, 1885, the son of John Wister and Anna Elizabeth (Emery) Luke. His father, who was born in Scott County, Kentucky, February 28, 1858, has been a rancher in northwest Nebraska for many years, and was a pioneer railroad man in Nebraska; he is of English and German descent. His mother was born near Dayton, Ohio, March 27, 1860, and died at Phoenix, Arizona, March, 1925; her ancestors were German.
Mr. Luke attended the public schools of Holdrege, Nebraska; was a student at Crawford High School; and was graduated from Chadron Academy, 1906. He received his A.B. degree at Doane College, Crete, Nebraska, 1911, and took some graduate work at the University of Nebraska, later. He won his honor letter in athletics at Doane College, 1910-11, and was all-Nebraska captain at Watertown, South Dakota, October 15, 1886. She is both years (sic). He was a member of Alpha Omega at Doane and Alpha Sigma Phi at Nebraska.
He has been interested and active in educational-religious work for the Young Men's Christian Association for many years, and has held the following executive positions; lay committeeman, Chadron Academy, 1902-05; assistant secretary of the railroad Young Men's Christian Association, Chadron, 1905-06; community secretary, Crete, Nebraska, 1906-07; college Young Men's Christian Association secretary, Doane College, Crete, 1907-09; Nebraska state Young Men's Christian Association college field secretary, 1909-10; assistant general secretary, Lincoln, 1910; and general secretary, 1911 to date. His administration in this office has continued to the present day, during which time the Central Building has been financed and completed, the Hi-Y Branch Building has been built and the permanent boys camp known as Camp Strader has been added. Throughout, his leadership has been marked by splendid service of constructive order and of loyal enthusiasm.
In the opening period of the World War, Mr. Luke was assigned to the Central Department Y. M. C. A. work, with executive headquarters in the city of Chicago. In this position he was instrumental in helping organize Y. M. C. A.'s at many army posts and cantonments in the middle states. Near the close of the World War he was detailed to Y. M. C. A. service overseas, and was about to sail for France when the sudden death of one of his children resulted in a delay in sailing for this patriotic service. The Armistice in the meantime was declared.
In addition to the above he has been a member of the board of directors of Estes Park 1913 to date; member of the constitutional convention of the Young Men's Christian Association of the United States and Canada, held at Cleveland, 1923; national councilman of the Young Men's Christian Association of the United States, Chicago, 1926-8, 1930; member of the Estes Park Summer School Faculty of the National Young Men's Christian Association, 1922-29; member of the United Summer Schools of the Western Region of the National Young Men's Christian Assciation, 1930; member of the National Physical Education Committee of the United States, 1929-30; and member of the National Young Men's Christian Association of the Church Councilling (sic) Commission of the United States, 1930-31.
Mr. Luke is the editor of the Red Triangle; was editor of the Rotary Propellor, 1926-27; and is the author of many articles. During the World War he was a member of the home guards and took part in Young Men's Christian Association war work, attached to the central division. He is a member of the Red Cross; the board of directors of the Welfare Society; the executive committe of the Council for Social Agencies; Lincoln Chamber of Commerce; Rotary Club; State Historical Society; the Nebraskana Society; and the Lincoln Young Men's Christian Association. He was one of the organizers and a former member of the executive committee of the Lincoln Community Chest. He holds membership in these fraternal and social clubs: Odd Fellows; Masonic Blue Lodge; Candlelight Club; and the Lincoln Musical Association. He is an honorary member of the Central Labor Union, and has served as a member of the Labor Temple Board. He is affiliated with the Lincoln Ministerial Association, of which he was secretary in 1924, and is a member of First Plymouth Congregational Church of Lincoln. Mr. Luke's political preference is the Republican party. His favorite sport is trout fishing.
He was married at Lincoln, January 12, 1912, to Hester Lura Thorpe. Mrs. Luke, who was dramatic art instructor at Doane College before her marriage, was born at Watertown, South Dakota, October 15, 1885. She is of English Canadian ancestry. They have four children: Katherine, born November 23, 1913; William, born March 9, 1915; Jean, born June 12, 1920; and John, born December 27, 1922. Residence: Lincoln. (Photograph in Album).
O. P. Lund
O. P. Lund, a resident of Dixon County, Nebraska, for the past 36 years, was born in Norway, June 6, 1862, the son of Peter O. and Jartrud (Johnson) Lund. His father, a carpenter, was born in Norway, and died there in 1918. His mother was born in Norway, and died there in 1892.
Mr. Lund, harness maker and shoe repairer at Maskell, Dixon County, Nebraska, has always been interested in the progress of his state and community. He is affiliated with Zion Lutheran Church, is a member of the Republican party, and holds membership in the Nebraskana Society.
He was married at Yankton, South Dakota, to Mary O. Rodney, who was born in Norway, and died at Yankton, October 12, 1886. In 1891, he was married to Rosey O. Birkley at Maskell. To this marriage the following children were born: Martin P.; Peter O., who died in 1921; Helma, who married Joel E. Johnson; Oscar O.; Olaf M.; Geneva, who married A. B. Dahl; Rudolph; and Violet, who married Arthur Rysta. Residence: Maskell.
Frank Otto Lundstrom
Born at Omaha, Nebraska, Frank Otto Lundstrom is the son of Charles E. and Anna Stina (Anderson) Lundstrom. His father, a native of Sweden, born August 2, 1848, came to America in 1879. He engaged in the contracting business until his death at Omaha, on May 9, 1924. His wife, Anna, was born in Sweden, November 25, 1847, came to America in 1881, and died at Omaha, October 23, 1929.
Frank Otto Lundstrom was graduated from the Omaha High School in 1905. A resident of Burt County many years, he was elected clerk of the district court in 1926. and still holds that position. Prior to that time he served as deputy county treasurer in 1914, and from 1915-22 was county clerk of Burt County.
Mr. Lundstrom was married to Bessie L. Green at Council Bluffs, Iowa, on April 19, 1911. Mrs. Lundstrom was born at Council Bluffs, November 29, 1888. To them were born three children: Frances Louise, born August 30, 1912; Louis Carl, born June 7, 1915, and Justin Frank, born August 20, 1918.
Always active in civic and fraternal organizations, as well as in educational projects, Mr. Lundstrom is chairman of the executive committee of the Burt County Chapter of the Red Cross, is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, is vice president of the Board of Education of which he has been a member since 1924. He is Past Master of Tekamah Lodge No. 31, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and Past High Priest of Mackey Chapter No. 24, Royal Arch Masons at Tekamah. His religious affiliation is with the First Presbyterian Church of Tekamah. His hobby is mechanics. Residence: Tekamah.
Claude Harold Lundy
Claude Harold Lundy, rancher and breeder of registered Hereford cattle, was born at New Providence, Iowa, April 12, 1882, son of Daniel and Sarah Ann (Jackson) Lundy.
The father, born in Lafayette, Illinois, January 13, 1841, died at Whitton, Iowa, November 30, 1914. He was a farmer, whose English ancestors came to the United States before the Revolution. He served three years in the Civil War. His wife, Sarah Ann, was born in Bucyrus, Ohio, December 26, 1844, and is still living. She was a teacher in her younger days, and is a great neice of Benjamin Lundy.
Claude Harold Lundy attended the Sheridan County schools, and was graduated from Chadron Academy in 1901. There he was valedictorian of his class and active in basketball and track, afterward he was a student at Doane College two years.
On June 4, 1907, he was married to Alice Rachel Denton at Chadron. She was born at Corning, Iowa, October 10, 1882, of Dutch and Scotch ancestry. There are four children, Lora, born May 12, 1908; Lester, born August 13, 1909; Lena, born December 9, 1910; and Doris, born March 2, 1913. The two oldest daughters are in nurses training at the Denver General Hospital.
Mr. Lundy is a Republican. He is a member of the Friends Church, and was recently elected to life membership in the Nebraskana Society. Residence: Chadron.
James William Lundy
James W. "Bill" Lundy, Sargent, Custer County, Nebraska, real estate operator, rancher, engineer and legislator was born at Atalissa, Iowa, October 30, 1872.
He came with his parents to Custer County, September 12, 1882, and they homesteaded at West Union. His father, Ira J. Lundy, was born at Atalissa, Iowa, in 1850, and died at Taylor, Nebraska, June, 1903. His mother, Maria Gregg (Ady) Lundy was born at Atalissa, Iowa, and died at Taylor, June, 1903.
Mr. Lundy attended district school near West Union, taught in district No. 189 of Custer County, in 1903 and 1904. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
He was married to Laura Etta Anderson (See Nebraskana) of Loup County, Nebraska, October 31, 1894. To them were born four children, Sadie, Alpha, Leila, and Albro L.
A self educated engineer, Mr. Lundy was a pioneer in the water power development of the state of Nebraska, having built the Luady Hydro-Electric Power Plant on the Middle Loup river, six miles west of Sargent, one of the first successful water power plants in central Nebraska. This bears his name, but is now owned by the Western Public Service Company.
A Republican, active in politics and public service, he was mayor of Sargent in 1920 and 1921. He was elected to the house of representatives from the 79th district of Nebraska in 1921, re-elected in 1923. He was an active member of the highway committee both sessions.
Mr. Lundy has served as Sergeant-at-Arms of the house of representatives of Nebraska in 1925-27-29 and 1931. This service has given him a wide acquaintance throughout the state, and he is known everywhere as "Bill Lundy." He is an optomist: a collector of smiles. An ardent football fan, he played football until 56 years of age. His chief hobby is good roads. He is the father of United States Highway No. 83, north and south through central Nebraska. He is an ex-director and a member of the Nebraska State Good Roads Association, He is a member and past grand of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge No. 162 of Nebraska. He is an active member of the Exalted Order of Yellow Dogs, and chief solicitor of the Legislative Kennel at Lincoln. He is a life member of the Nebraskana Society. Residence: Sargent. (Photograph on Page 742).
Laura Etta Lundy
Laura Etta Lundy of Sargent, Custer County, Nebraska, was born at Andover, Illinois, March 18, 1875. She came to Nebraska with her parents in 1882, they homesteaded near Taylor in Loup County.
Her father, Frans Johan August Anderson was born November 19, 1849, in Sweden, and came to Illinois when 16 years of age. Her mother, Rebecca (Garrett) Anderson, was born in 1845 in Ohio, and died at Sargent in May, 1914.
Mrs. Lundy was educated in the district schools of Loup County. She was married October 31, 1894, to James W. Lundy (See Nebreskana). To them were born four children, Sadie on September 24, 1898, who is now Mrs. Floyd Pulliam of Sargent, Nebraska, and who has two children, Reed and Merleen; Alpha, born January 17, 1899, who is now Mrs. Robert Taylor of Sargent; Leila, born August 23, 1900, who is now Mrs. William Faith of Scotia, and who has three children, Billie, Jr.,
Elaine and Lyle; Albro L., the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Lundy, was born June 23, 1902. He is married to Terry Huseman of Lincoln. They now reside in Los Angeles, California.
Mrs. Lundy has always been associated with her husband in business. She is the owner of Doris Lake ranch, a well known summer resort near Sargent. She is a member, and past noble grand of the Valley Queen Rebekah Lodge No. 154; an active member of the American War Mothers (attended the National War Mothers Convention at Long Beach, September, 1931); is a member and past president of the Justamere Womens Club of Sargent, and a member of the Christian Church. She is an active member of the Ladies Legislative League of Lincoln, Recently she was elected to life membership in the Nebraskana Society. Residence: Sargent. (Photograph in Album).
Axel Victor Erland Lunner
Axel Victor Erland Lunner, merchant, was born in Sweden, March 22, 1868, son of Johannes and Maja Stina Anderson. The father, born in 1833, was a farmer and county judge, who died in 1897. The mother, born in 1834, died in 1902.
On June 24, 1896, Mr. Lunner was married to Lillie O. Hallquist who was born in Henry County, Illinois, January 30, 1872. To them the following children were born: Robert E., February 3, 1899, who married Aneita Lavely; Myra. G., June 23, 1901, who married William Schapers and who died October 6, 1928; Edmund L., June 3, 1904, who married Deane Gleason; Evelyn V., December 13, 1907, who married Lloyd E. Corp; and Lola, July 15, 1909, who married William A. Schapers.
Mr. Lunner is a Democrat and has served as mayor, city clerk, and as a member of the city council. He is a former member of the board of education and has been president of the library board since its organization in 1916. He has been in the mercantile business for thirty years in Stromsburg, now as a senior member of the firm of Lunner & Johnson.
He is affiliated with the Salem Lutheran Church, the Red Cross the Commercial Club (former president and secretary), Stromsburg Lodge No. 126 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Parent Teachers Association and the Modern Woodmen of America. Residence: Stromsburg.
Edward Francis Lusienski
Born at Columbus, Nebraska, December 24, 1884, Edward Francis Lusienski is the son of Konstance and Katherine (Juskewiec) Lusienski. His father, born in Galicia, Poland, followed the shoemaker's trade. Coming to the United States in 1881, he settled at Columbus, removing to Platte Center in 1889. There his death occurred on November 2, 1903. Katherine, his wife, was born in Galicia, and died at Platte Center on June 13, 1917.
Edward Francis Lusienski attended St. Joseph's Parochial School where he completed a course equivalent to the twelfth grade. Forced by circumstances to go to work, he was a retail merchandise clerk and afterward engaged in the plumbing and heating business. From 1914-19 he owned and operated the Clother Hotel, and from 1920-22 managed the Farmers Union Cooperative store at Monroe. In May, 1922, Mr. Lusienski opened the first cash produce store handling a full line, adding, in February, 1924, the editing of the Radiogram, a weekly newspaper.
At the present time Mr. Lusienski handles poultry, eggs and cream, operates the Platte Center Radiogram, and engages in the insurance business. In early life a Republican, he is now affiliated with the Democratic Party. He was unsuccessful candidate for Platte county clerk in 1905; was township clerk of Lost Creek precinct about twenty-five years ago, and at present is a member of the village board of trustees, elected in 1928 by having his name written in on the ticket by all electors. In 1932 he was nominated for the legislature on the Democratic ticket, and has no Republican opponent.
On November 4, 1914, Mr. Lusienski was united in marriage to Nell Regan at Platte Center. Mrs. Lusienski, whose parents are Irish, was born at Dhoon, County Cork, Ireland, November 28, 1885. There are two children, Edward J., born June 8, 1916, and Dean R., born January 24, 1922, who are at home; Maurine, the only daughter, is married to C. J. Hittner and resides at Battle Creek, Nebraska.
During the World War Mr. Lusienski was a member of the county council, of defense, chairman of the local four minute speakers, chairman of the local selective service registration board, captain of the American Protective League and a captain in the Home Guards.
For a number of years he was president of the local Volunteer Fire Department, which he personally organized in November, 1907. Affiliated always with St. Joseph's Catholic Church, he has for more than a quarter of a century taken part in home talent plays, at least once or twice a year for the benefit of his church, Thanksgiving Day being an occasion in connection with its yearly bazaar.
Mr. Lusienski is a life member of the Nebraskana Society, a member of the Red Cross and the Community Club. His hobbies are reading, philanthropy and home-talent plays, while his present sports are baseball and football as a spectator. Residence: Platte Center.
Harry Detlef Lute
Harry Detlef Lute, farmer and stockman, was born at Holstein, Germany, January 8, 1870, and has been a resident in the United States for 61 years.
His father, John Lute, was born in Holstein, Germany, October 9, 1840, and came to the United States in 1869, where he was first a railroad section foreman. He was a stockman for many years prior to his death at Paxton, on August 2, 1901. His wife, Anna Christina Wulf, was born, in Holstein, Germany, September 7, 1846, and came to the United States in 1871. She is a devoted wife and mother, and now resides at Paxton.
Mr. Lute attended public school and business college, and in 1904 was graduated from the Nebraska School of Agriculture. He has been prominent in agricultural circles for a number of years, for three years was executive secretary of the Nebraska Farm Bureau Federation, and for five or six years was on the state executive board and the state exchange board of the Farmers Union. He was president of the local and county Farmers Union. Since 1906 he has been a staff writer for the Nebraska Farmer, and in addition, has written numerous articles for farm papers and school papers.
A Republican, Mr. Lute has never been a candidate for public office, except when he served as a member of the Nebraska Constitutional Convention of 1919 and 1920.
On September 20, 1904, he was married to Emma Lulu Woods at Ogallala. She was born at Scotland, Indiana, November 26, 1875, and before her marriage was a school teacher. She is eligible to the Daughters of the American Revolution. They have two daughters, Marjorie, born December 7, 1911; and Harriet, born January. 30, 1914, who attends Nebraska Wesleyan University.
Mr. Lute has been delegate to several national conventions of the Nebraska Farm Bureau Federation, and the Farmers Educational and Co-operative Union of Nebraska. He was Nebraska delegate to the dry farming congress at Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, in 1913, a delegate to the agricultural conference call by President Harding, 1912. He represented the Nebraska shippers before the inter-state commerce commission in 1922, in the western hay and grain case. He was a lecturer for the Farmers Institute from 1905 until 1907.
During the late war he was chairman of the Paxton
Four Minute Speakers. He is a member of the Paxton Methodist Episcopal Church, the Red Cross, and the Commercial Club. In the Odd Fellows he has been through all the chairs and has the state degree on both the subordinate and encampment branches. He is a member of the Nebraska State Historical Society, the Nebraska State Young Men's Christian Association, and is in his ninth year of service on the Paxton School Board. He was president of that organization in 1918, and was its secretary in 1925. His favorite sport is hunting, and his hobby is reading. Residence: Paxton.
Clifford Athenius Lutgen
Clifford A. Lutgen, physician and surgeon of Auburn, Nebraska, was born at Plantsville, Ohio, November 7, 1872. Dr. Lutgen is descended from a long line of illustrious ancestors on the paternal side; his great grandfather, who was a distinguished army officer under Napoleon, came to America from Germany shortly after the close of the Naponleonic (sic) Wars. Upon the death of his wife he returned to Germany where he re-entered Napoleon's army as a special guard, leaving his two children in America. His son, Dr. James H. Lutgen, settled at Stockport, Ohio, in the early history of this country, and in the Civil War organized and was captain of a company, the 77th Ohio Volunteers. His son, Athenius Lutgen, one of eight children, who was born at Stockport, October 9, 1840, and was a pioneer homesteader in Kansas, was a farmer and contractor. An energetic farmer and a great home lover, he built a home at what is now Reixord, Thomas County, Kansas, but was killed by lightning in 1886 before his farm lands were cleared and improved.
Clifford A. Lutgen, son of Athenius Lutgen, was a small boy at the time of his father's tragic death, but he took over the entire work of the new farm, helped in the care of his brothers and sisters, and walked to the country school where he received his education. His mother, who was born of Scotch ancestry in Stockport, April 24, 1843, maintained a home for her children and was a hard working pioneer mother,
Dr. Lutgen was graduated from the Colby High School, after which he studied at the Salina Normal School, at Salina, Kansas. For the next four years he taught school, and was then a student at Cotner Medical College for three years, graduated with the degree M. D. in 1901. From 1903 to 1905 he was a post graduate student at the Chicago Medical College; he has taken numerous short post graduate courses in Chicago, New York City, and San Francisco.
A resident of Nebraska for 29 years he has been a practicing physician since 1901, when he was admitted to the profession. He was admitted to the practice of medicine in California in 1923. In 1914 he established the Auburn Hospital, and since that time has been chief surgeon of that institution. Dr. Lutgen has written various medical articles for medical journals and newspapers.
He was united in marriage August 5, 1903, at Tecumseh, Nebraska, with Myrtle B. Combs who was born at Tecumseh, in 1885, and died at Auburn, in 1918; she was a talented artist. To this union two children were born: Grace Irene, born August 5, 1905, who married Dr. Robert W. Housel; Arnold, born May 17, 1909. In 1919 he was married to Ada Pearl Hanks. Mrs. Lutgen, who is a woman of high ideals and character, is descended collaterally from the mother of Abraham Lincoln. Her great grandfather was a half brother to Nancy Hanks. There is one son, Marshall Hanks, who was born January 14, 1925.
Dr. Lutgen is a member of the county, state, and national medical associations, and the Missouri Valley Medical Association. He is a member of the Kiwanis Club, the Chamber of Commerce, and numerous fraternal organizations. He was at one time a member of the American Medical Research Association. He is affiliated with the Christian Church, the Y. M. C. A., and the Red Cross.
He is fond of golfing and likes especially any kind of sport which will take him close to nature. In 1909 he took an extensive trip into Canada, where he engaged in a bear hunt. He killed two large bears, and captured a cub bear. The cub he brought back to the United States at great cost and effort, and presented to the City of Lincoln. Today it is the most valuable bear in Lincoln's animal park. An article written by him entitled Bear Hunting in the Canadian Rockies was published in the Outdoor Life magazine in 1920. Residence: Auburn.
Sidney Anson Lutgen
S. A. Lutgen, a physician at Wayne, Nebraska, for the past 20 years, was born at Plantsville, Ohio, July 2, 1882, the son of Athenis and Sarah Kathryn (Asa) Lutgen. His father, who was a farmer, died at Oberlin, Kansas, July 5, 1883; of Scotch and Irish descent; he served as captain of Company F in the Ohio Volunteers during the Civil War. His mother, who was born in Ohio, was a pioneer in Kansas, coming to the west in 1882 from Ohio.
Dr. Lutgen attended rural schools in Kansas; was a student at Rexford School, Rexford, Kansas, for three years; attended school at Colby, Kansas, for three years, and in 1904 was graduated from the medical department at Cotner University, where he was a charter member of Tau Alpha Epsilon.
He practiced medicine at Elkcreek, Nebraska, 1904-08, built a small hospital at Wayne, in 1914, and successfully operated it until 1919, when he built a large hospital which accommodates 25 beds. He operated a radio broadcasting station at Wayne, 1925-7; and is now chief surgeon of the Wayne Hospital and surgeon for the Northwestern Railroad Company. He is a member of the Kiwanis Club, the Nebraskana Society, the Elkhorn Valley Medical Society, and Sioux Valley Medical Society. His social club is the Wayne Country Club. His hobby is mechanics, and his sports are golfing, rifling, and big game hunting. Dr. Lutgen is affiliated with the Methodist Church.
He was married to Grace Carolyn Welsh at Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska, January 24, 1907. Mrs. Lutgen, who was formerly a teacher and writer, was born at Sterling, Johnson County, Nebraska, October 10, 1885. They have one son, Joe G., born January 12, 1912. Residence: Wayne. (Photograph on Page 745).
Emil Henry Lutt
Emil Henry Lutt, a prominent merchant for many years, was born in Comanche, Iowa, March 8, 1862. He is the son of Frederick and Sophia Marguerite Henrietta (Reese) Lutt. His father, born in Denmark, December 24, 1826, came to America from Germany in 1855, and became a naturalized citizen in 1859. Until his death at East Moline, Illinois, January 23, 1903, he was a farmer. His wife, Sophia, born in Germany, died at Comanche, Iowa, September 30, 1868.
Educated in the public schools of Comanche until he reached the age of fourteen, Emil Henry Lutt came to Nebraska, where he engaged in the mercantile business until 1919. At that time he retired, his sons succeeding him in business. He now devotes most of his time to supervising the working of his farming interests. He is vice president of the Bank of Niobrara, and since 1918 has been secretary of the local Red Cross.
On June 19, 1889, Mr. Lutt was united in marriage to Sophie D. Schroeder at Goose Lake, Iowa. Mrs. Lutt,, who was born in Schlesweig, Germany, April 2, 1865, assisted in the store. There are four children, Elmer, born May 15, 1892; Harry, born December 26, 1894; Marvin, born December 20, 1899; and Lewis, born December 28, 1905.
Mr. Lutt was a member of the local Red Cross committee in 1918, is a member of Odd Fellows Lodge No. 82, and from 1920 to 1924 was a member of the Niobrara
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller