On Line Library
Anselmo, Nebraska, October 2, 1897. They have two children. Katherine Margaret, born October 25, 1919; and Harry Marcus, born May 30, 1921.
Mr. Richardson volunteered for selective service in June, 1918, and was discharged for physical unfitness at Vancouver Barracks, Washington in July, 1918. He is a member of the Masons, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Nebraskana Society, and is affiliated with St. John's Episcopal Church. His hobbes (sic) are mechanics and electricity. He is a Democrat. Residence: Broken Bow.
Jacob Rickard, a general merchant at Max, Nebraska, during the past 30 years, was born at Letart, West Virginia, October 8, 1863, son of John and Louisa (Frye) Rickard.
The father, born at Letart, died there in 1913 at the age of 84 years. He was a farmer of Pennsylvania Dutch descent. His wife, Louisa, born in Letart also, died there in 1918 at the age of 86.
Mr. Rickard attended the elementary schools of Letart, was graduated from Point Pleasant, West Virginia High School in 1882, and taught the following year in Mason County, West Virginia. He came to Nebraska and taught in a rural school in Franklin County in 1884, after attending Bloomington Normal School at Bloomington, Nebraska.
In 1885 he homesteaded west of Benkelman, coming to that point overland in a spring wagon in company with a man named Franklin Koch. He taught rural school during 1885-86, and clerked for Robidoux Brothers and John Roemmich, while providing up his homestead, until elected county clerk in 1892. After the expiration of his term, he purchased the J. F. Lynch merchandise store at Max, Nebraska, which he has operated ever since. For several years he handled a lumber and coal business for the Barr Lumber Company, and for a short time, after this business was sold to the F. C. Krotter Company, he handled it until they secured a manager.
Mr. Rickard is a Republican. He was interested in local party activities from 1890-1900 and has served various times as county chairman and precinct chairman. He was clerk of Dundy County, 1892-93-94-95.
In February, 1892, he was married to Margaret Ann Hurlow at Letart, West Virginia. Mrs. Rickard was born at Letart, West Virginia, February 16, 1864, and died at Max, Nebraska, May 27, 1923. To this union were born two children, James Otis, December 10, 1893, who married Irma Jean Mills of Meadow Grove, Nebraska, on August 3, 1921. He is an extensive landowner, a clever and successful breeder and raiser of cattle, living with his family south of Max. To them were born two children, Derald, December 21, 1923, and Marjorie Ann, October 26, 1927. Anna Louisa, born May 10, 1895, who married Martin Brethouwer of Benkelman, Nebraska, in 1913. She was descended from early Welsh settlers in West Virginia.
Mr. Rickard is a Methodist, a member of the Red Cross, the Masons, the Modern Woodmen of America of which he has been secretary for several times, the Parent-Teachers' Association, and the Nebraskana Society. His hobby is reading, especially history. Residence: Max. (Photograph in Album).
Louis Franklin Rickard
Louis Franklin Rickard was born at Springfield, Illinois, October 13, 1856, the son of Henry Washington Rickard and Sarah Ann (Sims) Rickard. His father, who was a farmer, was born in Farquar County, Virginia, January 1, 1830, and died at Springfield, August 1, 1891. He was a pioneer in Nebraska, and his father was one of the early settlers of Illinois where he moved in 1831, by the covered wagon route. The grandfather of Louis F. Rickard, John Sims, built the first house in Springfield, Illinois, in 1818, and was an intimate friend of Abraham Lincoln. Mr. Lincoln made his home with members of the Rickard family and at one time proposed marriage to Sarah Rickard, an aunt of Louis F. Rickard.
Louis F. Rickard has been engaged in the hardware business at Nelson, Nebraska, for many years, and has been active in civic affairs there. He is affiliated with the Republican party, holds membership in the Presbyterian Church, and is a member of The Nebraskana Society.
On January. 13, 1881, he was married to Carrie B. Brown at Farmingdale, Illinois. Mrs. Rickard, whose ancestry was English, was born at Farmingdale, May 4, 1862, daughter of J. J. and Emily (Ralston) Brown, and died at Nelson, June 23, 1924. Their children are: Louis Peyton, born January 9, 1882, who married Adelaide Irvin; and Cyrus Dale, born June 24, 1884. Both sons are connected with the Rickard Hardware Company at Nelson. Residence: Nelson.
Ted Eugene Riddell
Ted Eugene Riddell, physician and surgeon, was born at Beatrice, Nebraska, June 17, 1896, son of Fred A. and Ella Mae (Hilton) Riddell. His mother was born in Ohio, in 1877, and died at Beatrice, April 7, 1907. Her ancestry was Irish and English.
Dr. Riddell attended the public and high schools of Beatrice, and in 1918 received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Nebraska. In 1923, he received the Bachelor of Science degree, and in the same year received the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He is a member of Delta Tau Delta, Nu Sigma Nu, Innocent Society, and received four letters in four major sports 1916-17.
Since his admission to practice in 1923, Dr. Riddell has been very active. He is the organizer of the Scottsbluff clinic, of which he is a surgeon. He is the author of various medical articles, and is a member of the American College of Surgeons, the American Medical Association and the Nebraska State Medical Society. During 1927 Dr. Riddell took post graduate work in surgery in several European clinics.
His civic organizations include the Red Cross, the Scottsbluff Chamber of Commerce, and the American Legion. An aviator in the Naval Aviation during the World War, he is now a member of the Reserve Officers Association. He is a 32nd degree Mason. He is a director of Scottsbluff Country Club, and is interested in all sports.
On August 18, 1928, he was married to Miriam F. Gilligan at O'Neill. Mrs. Riddeil was born at O'Neill, January 23, 1904, her parents having come to the United States from Ireland. She was graduated from O'Neill High School, and also from the University of Nebraska in 1925. She is a member of the Delta Gamma and P. F. O. Sisterhood Mrs. Riddell is the daughter of the late Dr. John P. Gilligan who was past president of the Nebraska State Medical Association and a former state senator. They have two children, Sandra, born December 31, 1930; and Demaris, born August 9, 1931. Residence: Seottsbluff. (Photograph on Page 1006).
Charles E. Rider
Charles B. Rider, dentist, was born at McCook, Nebraska, June 10, 1894, the son of William L. and Francenia (Shepherd) Rider.
His father, who was born at Gatesburg, Pennsylvania, October 28, 1860, of German and Scotch descent, is now retired. His wife, Francenia, was born at Clarinda, Iowa, on November 20, 1872, of English and Irish ancestry.
Dr. Rider attended public school in Nebraska, and in 1913 was graduated from the Oxford High School at Oxford, Nebraska. He received the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery from the University of Nebraska in 1919,
where he was a member of Delta Sigma Delta Fraternity. On August 25, 1919, he was admitted to practice in Nebraska. Prior thereto he was a drug store clerk, 1913-14; taught school one year; and was a drug clerk at the Orpheum Drug Company at Lincoln, while attending the University, 1915-19.
His marriage to Catherine Lofing was solemnized, at Lincoln, December 24, 1919. Mrs. Rider was born at Seward, Nebraska, August 22, 1898, and died at Imperial, April 11, 1921. Their infant child, born April 11, 1921, died the same day. Dr. Rider's second marriage was to Lela Marie Downs of Fort Collins, Colorado, August 10, 1922. They have two children, Donald Charles, born May 23, 1924, at Imperial, Nebraska; and Stanley Dale, born November 4, 1928.
Dr. Rider is a Republican. He is a member of the Methodist Church of McCook, the Medical Reserve Corps, the American Legion, the National Dental Association, the Nebraska State Dental Association, the District Dental Association, and the Nebraska-Kansas Study Club. He is first vice president of the Lions Club of Imperial, Past Worthy Patron of the Eastern Star, a Mason, a member of the Nebraskana Society, and the Parent-Teachers' Association. His favorite sport is football, while his hobby is breeding silver foxes. Residence: Imperial. (Photograph in Album).
Arthur Louis Riedesel
Arthur Louis Riedesel, hardware and implement dealer, was born at Glidden, Iowa, April 24, 1896, son of Louis A. and Sophia (Wetter) Riedesel. His father died at Glidden, Iowa in 1921, and his mother is residing at Bertrand, Nebraska.
He attended country school and in 1914 was graduated from Glidden High School. On June 9, 1920, he received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Buena Vista College at Storm Lake, Iowa, magna cum laude. He was active in debating three years, and in dramatics and orchestra work.
At the present time Mr. Riedesel is a member of the firm of Hobbs & Riedesel at Bride and Ogallala. He is a Republican. During the World War he served 16 months with the 318th Engineers, 6th Division, 13 months of this was overseas. He is a member of the American Legion and the Congregational Church.
On June 10, 1920, Mr. Riedesel was married to Catherine Marie Lawrence at Carroll, Iowa. Mrs. Riedesel was born at Anita, Iowa, July 1, 1897. They have two children, Arthur, Junior, born October 6, 1921; and Lawrence Eugene, born April 30, 1925. Residence: Brule.
Franz Joseph Riesland
Franz Joseph Riesland was born at Wood River, Nebraska, March 17, 1877, the son of Henry and Caroline Marie (Bansbach) Riesland. His father, who was an evangelical minister and a farmer, was born at Berlin, Germany, January 17, 1817, and came to New York City in 1834. His marriage to Caroline Marie Bansbach was solemnized at New York City, April 4, 1841. They came to Nebraska in the spring of 1874 settling at Wood River, where he died January 23, 1893. His mother was born at Manheim, Germany, December 27, 1828, and died at Wood River, December 21, 1896.
Mr. Riesland is the youngest of the family of nineteen children. He was graduated from high school in 1894, served for three years as an apprentice plumber and fitter, and from 1896 to 1899 studied heating engineering by correspondence. He has always been active in the Republican party and served as assistant postmaster at Wood River, 1902-04, and postmaster since 1925.
He is a member of the Nebraska Association of Postmasters, the National League of District Postmasters, the Wood River Chamber of Commerce, the Nebraskana Society, and the Red Cross. He is affiliated with the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Wood River, and holds membership in the following fraternal organizations: Masons, serving as financial secretary of the Woodmen of the World; the Hastings Consistory; Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Riesland has set a record preforming a worthy cause, he has sung for 400 funerals, a great many of which have been those of personal friends. He was first called on at the age of sixteen.
His marriage to Leah Alice Miller was solemnized at Wood River, September 12, 1901. Mrs. Riesland, who was a teacher prior to her marriage, was born at Wood River, June 7, 1879. Their children are: Rex Reed, born July 14, 1902, who married Nell Lee Sadler; Lela Marie, born October 19, 1903, who married Dr. Walter Price Moore; Almerie June, born July 15, 1909, who is studying music at Hastings College; and Ruby Dot, who is assistant postmaster at Wood River. Rex was graduated from Creighton University and is now a registered pharmacist. Lela Marie majored in voice and public school music at Wesleyan University. Residence: Wood River.
Fred J. Riggert
Fred J. Riggert, who has been a farmer in Nebraska since 1910, was born in Marshall County, Kansas, March 5, 1881, and for several years engaged in farming in Kansas. His father, August Riggert, who homesteaded in Marshall-County in 1875, was born in Germany, February 22, 1848, and came to America in 1868. His mother was born in Marshall County, December 31, 1858, and died at Bremen, Kansas, August, 1901.
Mr. Riggert attended parochial school until 1895 and later attended public schools in Kansas. He has served as a member of the school board in Gage County for 12 years, is president of the Odell Lumber Company, is vice president of the Farmers Elevator, and for ten years served as a member of the township board at Odell. He owns and farms 240 acres of land in Gage County, and owns registered Guernsey cattle.
He is a member of the Gage County Cow Improvenment Association, for eight years has been a board member of the Lutheran Hospital of Beatrice, Nebraska, is a member of the Farmers Union Associaton, and is now serving as a member of the board of the Gage County 4-H Club. He has been an elder in the Bethlehem Church at Odell for the last six years. During the World War he was solicitor for Liberty bonds and war savings stamps.
His marriage to Mary Adam occurred at Hanover, Kansas, April 13, 1903. She was born at Odell, November 13, 1881, and died there, January 28, 1915. Seven children were born to them: Elsie, born February 14, 1904, who married Walter Oldehoeft; Edwin, born November 18, 1906, who married Lulu Duensing; Martha, born September 27, 1908, who is a stenographer at Beatrice; Alfred, born February 26, 1910, who married Florence Beckman; Clara, born February 9, 1912, who is a teacher in the public schools; and Paul, born January 10, 1915. He married Lena Adam at Beatrice, April 13, 1916. To their marriage were born the following children: Lilian, born July 15, 1917; Agnes, August 2, 1919; Alice, born November 1, 1921; and Ruby, born October 8, 1923. Residence: Odell.
Edwin Harvy Riggs
Born at Aroma, Illinois, November 7, 1859, Edwin Harvy Riggs has been engaged in the practice of law in Blaine County continuously since 1894. His father, Porter Riggs, a farmer and a veteran of the Civil War, died at Brewster, Nebraska. His mother died at Aroma, Illinois.
Edwin Harvy Riggs attended the common schools of Illinois, until 1878, and in 1883 came to Nebraska. Having studied law with local attorneys in Brewster, he
took the bar examination at Thedford, and on April 13, 1894, was admitted to practice. Since 1895 he has been connected with the general mercantile business in connection with his legal practice.
A Republican, he has held various offices, including county clerk, county treasurer and county attorney, which last office he now holds. He was first elected county clerk in the fall of 1886, and has never been defeated for office.
On December 25, 1888, Mr. Riggs was married to Mary Dill, from whom he is now divorced. To them was born one daughter, Joy, in 1900. She is married to Jay Williams. On September 18, 1905, he was married to Mrs. Gertrude (Fitch) Yoste, at Omaha. They have one son, Harold, born in March 28, 1908, who married Adah Howard.
Mr. Riggs is a member of the Red Cross, and a life member of the Nebraskana Society. His hobby is baseball. Residence: Brewster.
Myron Michael Riley
Myron Michael Riley, physician, was born at Dawson, Nebraska, February 7, 1874, son of Michael and Bridget Maria Riley. He attended public and high school, received his Bachelor of Arts degree from St. Mary's College (Kansas) in 1896, and his degree of Doctor of Medicine from Creighton University in 1900.
He has been instructor of medicine Catholic University 1901, professor of medicine Catholic Universty (sic), 1908, instructor of materia medica, Catholic University College of Dentistry, 1910-11. He has served as profesor (sic) of medicine and head of the department of the school of medicine at Catholic University, and as secretary of the university's administrative board, and as a director of the medical staff of St. Joseph's Hospital and the School of Nursing of St. Joseph's Hospital. In 1917 he was made secretary of the administrative board of St. Joseph's.
Dr. Riley is a member of St. Peters Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus, the American College of Internal Medicine, the American College of Surgeons (fellow), the Omaha-Douglas County Medical Society (president), and the Nebraska State Medical Society. He is a member of Ak-Sar-Ben and the Elks. Residence: Omaha.
For the past 43 years Lincoln Riley has been engaged in the practice of medicine at Wisner, Nebraska. He was born at Prophetstown, Whiteside County, Illinois, August 12, 1867, the son of John and Abigail (Burnet) Riley. His father, a physician, was born at New York City, September 30, 1818, and died at Erie, Illinois, June 10, 1903. His mother, was born at Saratoga, New York, December, 1825, and died at Eric, January 9, 1907.
Dr. Riley attended Northern Illinois College at Fulton, Illinois, and in 1888, received his M. D. from the University of Iowa. He served for 12 years on the board of education at Wisner, and was coroner for Cuming County for several years. He is president of the Cuming County Medical Society and holds membership in the Nebraska State Medical Society.
During the World War he was captain in the Medical Corps of the United States Army and served as a member of the medical advisory board and the selective draft board. He was captain of ordnance in the Nebraska National Guard, 1910-15. He is state director of marksmanship of the American Legion and from 1910 to 1930 was captain of the Nebraska Civilian Rifle Team. He is a member of Wisner Lodge Number 114 of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. His sports include fishing and rifle shooting. He is a populist Democrat.
His marriage to Martina Guthrie was solemnized at Clinton, Iowa, August 26, 1886. Mrs. Riley was born at Whiteside, Illinois, May 9, 1870, and died at Wisner, November 23, 1923. Their three children are: Charles Lewis, born May 21, 1888, who married Clara Helms; Ivy, born September 15, 1890, who married (John) Helms; and Wilbur Kirk, born September 23, 1892, who in Elizabeth Daly. Charles is a dentist at Fremont, Nebraska; and Wilbur is a physician and surgeon connected with the veterans' bureau. Residence: Wisner.
Samuel Rinaker was born at Carlinville, Illinois, September 14, 1860, son of John I. and Clarissa (Keplinger) Rinaker. John I. Rinaker was born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1830, and died at Eustis, Florida, January 15, 1915. His wife died at Carlinville, September 5, 1920.
Samuel Rinaker attended public school at Carlinville, and entered the Blackburn College at the age of sixteen, graduating from the classical course in 1880. He then attended Brown Business College at Jacksonville, and later entered the law department of Yale University, where he was a student during 1882 and 1883.
In 1884, Mr. Rinaker was admitted to the bar of Illinois, and in 1885 came to Nebraska. There he formed a partnership with the late Nathan Kirk Griggs, under the firm name of Griggs and Rinaker. In 1893 the firm became Rinaker and Bibb, and following the death of Mr. Bibb in 1907, Mr. Rinaker practiced alone until 1909. At that time he became a member of the firm of Rinaker and Kidd. This partnership continued until 1916, when John W. Delehant became a member of the firm, which is now Rinaker, Kidd and Delehant.
Mr. Rinaker is a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Beatrice, the Elks, and the Country Club. He has been a member of the Board of Directors of the First National Bank of Beatrice, and the First Savings Bank, and is a member of the Nebraska and American Bar Associations. He is a Mason, a Knight Templar, a member of the Rotary Club and the Modern Woodmen of America.
He is married to Carrie Palmer Mayo, a native of Carlinville, and the daughter of Samuel T. and Elizabeth (Palmer) Mayo. They have two children, Samuel and Carrie. Residence: Beatrice.
William Jack Rinder
William Jack Rinder, manufacturer and executive, was born at Red Oak, Iowa, May 29, 1888. He is the son of George and Anna Ida (Eichler) Rinder, the former a native of Strassburg, Alsace Lorraine, who came to America in 1872. George Rinder was born October 18, 1861, and until his death at Manitou, Colorado, on February 10, 1929, was a retail merchant. His wife, Anna, was born in Saxony, Germany, December 24, 1864, and is living.
Mr. Rinder attended the public schools of Hastings, and was graduated from high school in 1906. Thereafter he attended college two years, and entered the commercial world, becoming connected with the manufacturing concern K and R Incorporated. He was elected to the presidency of that organization in 1925, and is also a director of the Nebraska National Bank.
On October 9, 1912, Mr. Rinder was married to Laura Hedwig Bixler, at Fort Wayne, Indiana. Mrs. Rinder, whose ancestry has been American for three generations, was born at Berne, Indiana, January 7, 1889. At the present time she is a director of the Young Women's Christian Association and an executive officer and director of the Red Cross. There is one son, William, born May 9, 1914.
Mr. Rinder is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, the National Economic League, the Red Cross, Salvation Army, the United States Chamber of Commerce and the American Institute of Meat Packers. He is also
a Rotarian and a 33rd degree Mason and was instrumental in forming the Shrine in Hastings.
His social clubs include the Hastings Country Club and others. He enjoys golf and football, and his hobbies are reading and art. Residence: Hastings.
John A. Rine
For the past 30 years John A. Rine has been active in the legal and political world at Omaha, Nebraska. He was born in Dodge County, Nebraska, December 23, 1878, and has spent nearly all his life in this state. He was awarded his LL. B. degree at the University of Michigan, and in 1900 was admitted to the bar in Nebraska. He served as referee in bankruptcy from 1903 to 1906; Was city attorney of Omaha, 1910 to 1918; was a member of the Nebraska legislature, 1918; was a member of the Charter Convention at Omaha, 1918; and since 1922 has been a member of the Omaha Planning Board. He is a Democrat.
He married Elizabeth Maybelle Christensen at Fremont, Dodge County, Nebraska, August 22, 1917; Mrs. Rine was born at Fremont, November 18, 1886.
He is a member of the Douglas County Bar Association; the Nebraska Bar Association; the American Bar Association; the Omaha Chamber of Commerce; the Red Cross; and the Nebraskana Society. He holds membership in: Omaha Automobile Club; Nebraska Good Roads Association; the Omaha Athletic Club; and the Isaac Walton League. He is a Mason and an Elk. Residence: Omaha.
Alexander Charles Ring
Alexander Charles Ring, pioneer Nebraskan and a leader in the early development of Hebron, was born at Belleville, Ohio, May 17, 1847, of French and Dutch descent. His father was killed in the Mexican War.
Coming to Nebraska in 1868, Alexander Charles Ring was one of the founders of the town of Hebron. One of two survivors of Old Fort Butler, he was a member of the state militia five months, and during his service was one of the builders of the stockade at Fort Butler.
On August 10, 1869, the town of Hebron was laid out in lots, and Mr. Ring was detailed to stand picket while they surveyed the town. Lumber was hauled from Marysville, Kansas, the nearest railroad station, and the first order of goods had to be hauled from Lincoln.
Together with W. P. Harding, Mr. Ring was appointed to canvass the county for a division of the two counties, which resulted in the division of Thayer and Jefferson, which at that time were one. On October 14, 1869, Mr. Ring and Mr. Harding went from Republican River to Elk Creek, and Mr. Ring recalled there being two inches of snow on the ground, which remained more than a week.
Mr. Ring was Hebron's first city librarian, appointed October 20, 1873, and about the same time served as town trustee. He was married to Averilla Hess, daughter of pioneer Nebraskans, at Hebron in 1876, and to them four children, three sons and one daughter, were born. The oldest, Dr. William Ring, was born December 2, 1877. The other three are deceased.
Elected city treasurer in April, 1893, Alexander C. Ring held that position many years. In partnership with F. J. Hendershot he operated the first drug business in Hebron, continuing for a number of years, until he was compelled to retire because of ill health.
Mr. Ring had the distinction of being the oldest Odd Fellow in point of membership in Thayer County, having been a charter member of the lodge at its organization in 1874. Prior to that time he had been a member of the order in Ohio. Altogether he had more than fifty years service in the lodge.
It was a consolation to his family that Mr. Ring lived to celebrate his golden wedding anniversary, which occurred in 1926. He died at Hebron, on March 10, 1927, and is buried in the old cemetery north of Hebron.
Born at Saint Joseph, Missouri, September 9, 1858, Averilla Hess came with her parents to Nebraska in 1863. Settling at Virginia Station, they for a two year period furnished meals for stage coach drivers and passengers going west. Her mother baked pies, cakes and doughnuts to supply the regiments of soldiers going through to fight the Indians, which at one time came within ten miles of the little station, but were turned back by the troops.
From Virginia Station the family moved to the Otoe Reservation, living for one year in the arsenal. Her father instructed the Indians in farming. A miller by trade he ground their wheat for them and helped run the saw mill. The following spring the family went to Beatrice where they operated a hotel. In 1874 the family removed to Hehron.
Averilla Hess was married to Alexander C. Ring in 1876, and their first child was born on December 2, 1877,
There were four children born to their union, Dr. William A. Ring being the oldest. Her husband, one of the first settlers in what is now Thayer County, performed picket duty while the town of Hebron was being laid out. He, together with F. J. Hendershot, operated its first drug store. He assisted in building the Fort Butler stockade, southwest of Hebron and was the city's first librarian. Alexander C. Ring lived to celebrate his golden wedding anniversary, and died at Hebron on March 10, 1927.
Mrs. Ring recalls many of the early hardships connected with the settlement of this section. The grasshopper plague, the great snow storm of 1888, the Indian uprisings, and the privations incident to pioneer life. She still lives in the home built by her husband for her fifty years ago. Residence: Hebron. (Photograph on Page 1010).
William Alexander Ring
Born at Hebron, Nebraska, December 2, 1877, William Alexander Ring is the son of Alexander Charles and Averilla (Hess) Ring. Alexander Charles Ring was born at Belleville, Ohio, in 1847, and died at Hebron, March 10, 1927. Coming to Hebron in 1868 from Belleville, he assisted in laying out the present town, and was first city librarian on October 20, 1873. He was one of the two survivors of old Fort Butler, and a pioneer and Indian fighter in Thayer County's early days. He recalled hearing H. P. Harding cover the county with a petition when Thayer was divided from Jefferson County. One of his distinctions was that he was the oldest Odd Fellow in point of membership in Thayer County, having been a charter member of the lodge, which was organized in 1874. Of French and Dutch extraction, his father was killed in the Mexican War.
Averilla Hess was born in St. Joseph, Missouri, of pioneer parentage, and was herself a pioneer in this section. She is the daughter of William Hess, who came to Hebron in 1873. Prior to that time he served as commissioner of Gage County, when all this part of the state was included in it. Mrs. Ring relates many interesting occurrences in her girlhood, and recalls the meeting of twelve Indian tribes at her father's home near Hebron. She speaks the Indian language, which she learned as a girl. Her father was of an old Virginia family and her mother was of Welsh descent.
William A. Ring attended the Hebron public schools, completing his high school education in 1895. In 1901 he was awarded the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery from the Kansas City Dental College.
On August 27, 1899, he was united in marriage to Emma Myrtle Willmore, daughter of Charles and Sarah Jane (Wright) Willmore, at Hebron. She was born at
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller