NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On Line Library

Horz. bar

mother was born in York County in 1823 and died at Mechanicsburg, 1896.

Mr. Umberger attended rural school near Lisburn, Pennsylvania, and entered business there after his graduation. He was department manager of woolen mills at New Cumberland, Pennsylvania, from 1884 to 1889. He has served as county commissioner of Gosper County, Nebraska, from 1902 to 1906 and is now president of the Elwood Coal & Lumber Company and is vice president of the Elwood Equity Exchange.

He is the owner of a 2240 acre ranch west of Elwood, Nebraska, a 520 acre farm in Gosper County, and a 160 acre farm in Duel County, Nebraska, and has been in past years, an extensive breeder and feeder of cattle. He holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Elwood, is past master of Elwood Lodge of the Masons, and is a member of the Order of Eastern Star.

His marriage to Mary Ellen Barber occurred at Lisburn, Pennsylvania, April 11, 1889. Mrs. Umberger was born at Lisburn, December 2, 1858, and died at University Place, Nebraska, February 11, 1913. There are five children, Martha, born January 25, 1890, who married E. H. Ledyard; Ellen, born March 15, 1891, who married Claud Smith; Jessie, born July 8, 1892, who married H. A. Ringenberg; John L., born in October, 1893; and Perry J., born April 7, 1895, who married Alice Koib. Residence: Elwood.

George Ralph Unthank

George R. Unthank was born at Arlington, Washington County, Nebraska, March 4, 1875, and has lived in this state all his life. His father, Oliver Nixon Unthank, who was born at Newport, now known as Fountain City, Indiana, November 18, 1842, was a government operator at Fort Laramie, Wyoming, 1869-1871. He freighted from Omaha to Denver in the early 60's, and was a member of the wagon train expedition to the Idaho gold fields with Jim Bridger acting as guide. He was descended from John Allen Unthank and Mary Jane (Curtis) Unthank, both of whom had Revolutionary War ancestors. The family came originally from England and has been in America for seven generations. He died at Arlington, November 21, 1928.

Emmaline Hummer (Brandon) Unthank, his mother, was born at Dayton, Ohio, November 30, 1845, and died at Arlington, November 13, 1900. She was a singer and artist of prominence and was active in the Women's Christian Temperance Union for many years. She was the daughter of John and Emmaline (Hummer) Brandon. The latter was of Scotch-Irish descent.

Mr. Unthank was graduated from the Arlington High School in 1893 and later was a student at the Peru Normal School. For five years he was a teacher; was in business with the Updike Grain Company for three years; was a civil service employee for 10 years; and was a contractor and builder for 18 years. In 1925 he organized and incorporated the G. R. Unthank Company, of which he is now general manager, secretary, and treasurer. A Republican, Mr. Unthank has served as county delegate for Washington County; county delegate of Saunders County; and senatorial delegate at large for Washington and Dodge counties.

He was united in marriage with Fanny Churchill Kettlewell at University Place, Lancaster County, Nebraska, December 25, 1901. Mrs. Unthank, who was born at Exeter, Fillmore County, Nebraska, September 4, 1877, is descended from the Churchill family of England, noted in Revolutionary times in America. Her paternal grandfather was a member of parliament in England. They have three children: Phyllis Arabel, born November 2, 1902, who was a student at the University of Nebraska where she was a member of Pi Beta Phi Sorority, and who married George Thomas Underwood; John Oliver, born August 3, 1904, who was awarded the A. B. degree at the University of Nebraska in architectural engineering, 1928, and who was a member of Alpha Tau Omega; and George Ralph, Jr., born July 29, 1914.

Mr. Unthank is a member of the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of the Masons, and the Eastern Star. Residence: Lincoln. (Photograph in Album).

Fred Wilbert Upson

Fred Upson, noted educator at the University of Nebraska, was born at Byron, Ogle County, Illinois, February 2, 1883, the son of Richard Empey and Mary Williams (Johnston) Upson. His father, who was a farmer, was born at Camden, New York, in 1854, and died at Odell, Nebraska, July 26, 1896; he was descended from Thomas Upson who came to America and settled in Connecticut, in 1649; his mother was a member of the Putnam family, of Revolutionary fame.

His mother was born at Byron, September 23, 1853; she was descended from four Mayflower ancestors and the Copeland, Williams and Ames families.

Dean Upson attended country school at Odell, and in 1902 was graduated from the Lincoln High School. He holds the following degrees: Ph. D., University of Chicago, 1910; A. M., University of Nebraska, 1908; and B. S., University of Nebraska, 1907. He holds membership in Gamma Alpha and Sigma Xi.

He served as instructor in chemistry at the University of Cincinnati, 1910-12, was instructor of chemistry at the University of Chicago, 1912-13, and was professor of agricultural chemistry at the University of Nebraska, 1913-18. He has been chairman of the department of chemistry since 1918 and dean of the graduate college at the University of Nebraska since 1929. He is the author of numerous articles published in chemical journals, chiefly in the field of chemistry of carbohydrates.

Dean Upson is a member of the board of directors of the Nebraska Art Association, and the board of directors of the Lincoln Symphony Orchestra Association. He holds fellowship in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, is a member of the American Chemical Society, and holds membership in the American Association of University Professors. He is a member of the Lincoln University Club, is affiliated with the Republican party, and holds membership in The Nebraskana Society. His favorite sport is fishing, while his hobbies are reading and gardening.

On June 16, 1915, he was united in marriage with Georgia Baldwin Field at Lincoln. Mrs. Upson, the daughter of Judge A. W. Field of Lincoln, was born at Lincoln, May 6, 1885. They have one son, John Ames, born November 9, 1916. Residence: Lincoln.

Claude Thomas Uren

Claude T. Uren, distinguished physician and medical educator of Nebraska, was born at Lead, Lawrence County, South Dakota, June 18, 1887. His father, Thomas Uren who was born at Lands End, Cornwall, England, November 1, 1862, and died at Lead, May 25, 1894, was a cattleman. His mother, Gertrude R. (Huffman) Uren, was born at Hartford, Indiana, October 24, 1869. She was married to B. H. Stone in 1897.

Dr. Uren received his elementary education in the public schools of Lead, and in 1905, was graduated from the Lead High School. He was awarded the M. D. degree in 1910, at the University of Michigan, where he was a member of Phi Beta Pi. From 1910 to 1913, he was instructor in oto-laryngology at the University of Michigan. Since 1920, he has been professor of oto-laryngology at Creighton Medical College. He is a member of the staff of St. Joseph's Hospital, and at the Douglas County Hospital.

On January 16, 1916, Dr. Uren was united in marriage with Irma Wiedeman at Omaha, Nebraska. Mrs. Uren, who was born at Omaha, April 25, 1893, was the grand

Horz. bar

daughter of Fred Krug, a prominent pioneer Omahan. She died at Omaha, May 3, 1924. Three children were born to this marriage: Jane, born February 16, 1918; Thomas, born December 18, 1919; and Marjorie, born November 10, 1921. On January 28, 1926, his marriage to Gertrude Riedy was solemnized at Omaha. One daughter was born to this union, Sally, born January 23, 1927.

Dr. Uren served as captain of the medical corps in the World War, September, 1917, to April, 1919. He is a member of the American Legion. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the American College of Surgeons, American Academy of Ophtholmology and Otolaryngology, and American Laryngological, 0tological and Phenological Society. He is a member of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce, the American Institute of Professional Men, and the Nebraskana Society.

He is affiliated with Trinity Cathedral at Omaha. His clubs are the Omaha Club; Omaha Country Club; and Omaha University Club. His favorite sport is golf. He is a Republican. Residence: Omaha.

William George Vahle

The Reverend William George Vahle, pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church at Atkinson, was born at St. Louis, Missouri, February 20, 1884. He is the son of John Henry and Charlotte Anna Marie (Walkenhorst) Vahle, the former a native of Hanover, Germany, born November 20, 1842. John H. Vahle was a teamster, probably of Dutch parentage, but born in Germany, who came to the United States, in 1866, and died at St. Louis, on February 16, 1911.

His wife, Charlotte, was born in Washington, Missouri, February 7, 1853, and died at St. Louis, April 4, 1924. Her parents were born in Westphalia, and her father served in the Union Army during the Civil War.

Mr. Vahle was graduated from Zion Lutheran parochial school at St. Louis, in 1897, and from 1897, to 1901, had four years in German, English, and Latin, under a private tutor, taking public night school work at the same time. From 1901-07, he attended Concordia College and Seminary, at Springfield, Illinois, and in 1912, was a student at Coffeyville Business College for several months. He received his Bachelor of Divinity degree from the American University of Los Angeles, in 1923.

On August 4, 1909, Mr. Vahle was married to Emma Jane Mueller, at Stuttgart, Kansas. She was a native of Stuttgart, born August 22, 1885. Her father was born in Saxony, her mother in Illinois, her maternal grandmother in London, and her grandfather in Germany. They have one daughter, Dorothy, born October 1, 1910. She was graduated from Atkinson High School in 1928, taught two years in rural schools, and is now a sophomore at Midland College.

Mr. Vahle is a Democrat. He was graduated from the Crabtree Chiropractic College at Coffeyville, Kansas, in 1911, and practiced chiropractic in St. Louis, for 8 months, and during the same year taught at the St. Louis College of Chiropractic.

He is a member of the Red Cross, the Chamber of Commerce, the Ncbraskana Society, and the Lutheran Mutual Aid Society of Waverly, Iowa. Mr. Vahle has for his hobbies carving in ivory, philately, and languages. He understands Swedish, Norwegian, and Dutch and has a working knowledge of French. Residence: Atkinson.

Clarence A. Valder

Clarence A. Valder, prominent Burt County farmer, was born in that county on November 30, 1872. He is the son of Edwin E. and Sarah Ann (Johnson) Valder, the former of whom was born in Leland, Illinois, February 4, 1841. Edwin Valder served in the Civil War and was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. His father, the Reverend Hans Valder, organized the first Norwegian Baptist Church in America, founded the town of Newberg, and was a member of the state legislature. Edwin E. Valder died at Tekamah on May 2, 1914. His wife, Sarah Ann, was a native of Stavanger Norway, born July 19, 1846. She was an active church worker, a member of the Women's Relief Corps and a nurse. Her death occurred at Tekamah on September 14, 1928.

A farmer since early manhood, Clarence A. Valder has also been active in Republican politics, and was a member of the house of representatives of Nebraska the sessions of 1929 and 1931. He is president of the Farmers' Telephone Company. The family attends the First Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Valder is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the Odd Fellows. He has served as an elder in his church for some time, is treasurer of the local school board, and is president of the Burt County Historical' Society. His hobby is reading.

On March 6, 1895, Mr. Valder was married to Ethel Ione McMullin in Burt County. Mrs. Valder, who was born in Burt County May 24, 1876, is of Scotch-Irish descent. There are three children: Clayton S., born May 14, 1898, is married to Sara Bassett, and is a Presbyterian minister; Ethel Pearl, born August 26, 1899, is a teacher of English; and Gerald C., born December 20, 1904, is a farmer. Clayton is a graduate of the University of Chicago and McCormick Seminary; Ethel is a graduate of the University of Nebraska in 1924, and is now attending Columbia University. Gerald is a graduate of Tekamah High School. Residence: Tekamah. (Photograph in Album).

Harm Van Boening

Harm Van Boening, farmer and prominent in agricultural circles, was born near Glenvil, Nebraska, January 7, 1882, son of Simon and Ida (Schmidt) Van Boening.

Simon Van Boening was born in Germany, February 26, 1857, and came to America, in 1869. He settled first near Lincoln, Illinois, and in 1879 came to Nebraska, pioneering in Hanover township of Adams County. He moved to a farm one mile west of Rosemont in Webster County in 1893, and is now retired. The title of Von was held by ancestors in Germany, and was changed to Van in America. Ida Schmidt was born in Peoria County, Illinois, July 21, 1860, of German parentage.

Mr. Van Boening attended public school in Hanover township of Adams County, and has since engaged in farming. He has been a member of the Farmers Union and the Farm Bureau as long as its existence in his community. He is always a promoter of the welfare of farmers, and is known as one of the most progressive farmers in Webster County. He is a faithful worker, a member of St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church at Blue Hill, and is interested in the betterment of schools and in all good work for the development of public welfare.

In 1912, he became a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, in which he has held various offices. He has been treasurer of school district No. 45 of Webster County since 1919, and has always been a contributor to Red Cross and Salvation Army. He is a life member of the Nebraskana Society. His favorite sports are hunting and fishing, while his hobby is mechanics.

In January, 1905, he was married to Augusta M. Toepfer at Blue Hill. Mrs. Van Boening was born at Blue Hill, December 4, 1883, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Toepfer, who were born in Germany. Nine children were born to them, one of whom died in infancy. They are as follows, Charlotte, born January 7, 1906; Oscar, born June 15, 1908; Eleanor, born September 16, 1914, died February 27, 1915; Addelene, born November 11, 1911; Mildred, born May 17, 1913; Harlan, born November 21, 1915; Delbert, born January 16, 1918;

Horz. bar

Elna, born August 3,1920; and Dean, born April 15, 1926. Charlotte taught school in the rural schools of Webster County and in Hallam. She was graduated from Blue Hill High School, and attended the University of Nebraska. Oscar was graduated from Blue Hill High School, and was employed in a drug store at Grant. Since 1929, he has been in the employ of the Blue Hill Auto Company. He writes insurance as a side line. Residence: Blue Hill.

John Harris Vance

John Harris Vance, physician and surgeon, was born at New Castle, Pennsylvania, October 24, 1858, and has been a resident of Nebraska for the past forty-four years. He is the son of William and Martha (Leslie) Vance. His father, William Vance, was born at New Castle, November 30, 1824, and died at New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, September 20, 1909. He was a farmer, whose parents came from County Antrim, Ireland.

Martha Leslie Vance was born at New Castle, April 28, 1826, and died at New Wilmington, November 29, 1909. Her father was of English, and her mother of Scotch descent.

Dr. Vance was educated in country schools and studied at Wooster, Ohio, and Westminster College at New Wilmington. He received his M. D. from Jefferson Medical College. He was married to Flora Gardner at New Castle, on November 28, 1888. Mrs. Vance was born at Portersville, Pennsylvania, May 31, 1866, and is of Scotch-Irish descent, and died October 30, 1931. They have three children: Harris G., born July 17, 1890, died May 23,1927; William Brooks, born October 22, 1898, is a physician who is practicing in New York; and Mary, born September 27, 1006, married Dr. C. E. Thompson, a physician, and resides at Detroit.

During the World War, Dr. Vance was a member of the committee which organized Base Hospital No. 49, and an ambulance company. He is a member of the U. S. Medical Reserve Corps. He attends Central United Presbyterian Church, and during 1905-11, was a member of the Board of Education. He is a member of the Volunteer Medical Service Corps, the Nebraska State and Douglas County Medical Societies. His club is the University Club. Residence: Omaha.

Robert Cotton Vance

Robert Cotton Vance, farmer and humorist, was born at Crete, Nebraska, December 24, 1886, son of Robert Colville and Nellie Amelia (Cotton) Vance. Robert Vance, Sr., was born at Florence, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1836, of Revolutionary stock, and pioneered in Nebraska in 1868. His grandfather was a captain in the Revolutionary Army, and his ancestry was Scotch-Irish. Nellie Amelia, wife of Robert, was born in Saco, Maine, November 3, 1846, and died at Crete January 14, 1908. She was of English stock, her ancestors serving in the Revolution. Robert Colville Vance died at Hot Springs, Arkansas, February 4, 1908.

Robert Cotton Vance attended country school, and since his school days has lead an interesting and varied life. He was a railroad man in Pennsylvania, and a miner and prospector in Mexico. For some time he was postal clerk in El Paso, and in 1913 returned to Nebraska where he has engaged in farming and stock raising.

A humorous writer, he has contributed to many humorous magazines and agricultural papers and is the creator of Idle Ike. His social club is the Yellow Dog Club of Lincoln. He is fond of hunting, and devotes his leisure time to reading.

Of his marriage to Emma Amelia Sempf, at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, there are four children living: Robert, born July 27, 1909; Helen, born December 16, 1907; Julius, born January 22, 1911, and Nancy, born March 1, 1914. John, twin of Julius died January 4, 1923. Residence: Milford.

Frank Ellsworth Van Cleave

One of the leading lawyers in Furnas County, Nebraska, Frank Ellsworth Van Cleave has been engaged in farming and the practice of law for the past 20 years. He was born in Furnas County, January 29, 1887, the son of Rachel Chenoweth and Cornelius Johnson Van Cleave. His father, who was a farmer, was born h Montgomery County, Indiana, May 14, 1836, and died at Holbrook, Nebraska, June 3, 1915. His mother, whose ancestry was English and Scotch-Irish, was born in Vigo County, Indiana, August 15, 1845, and died at Holbrook, Nebraska, June 29, 1915.

Mr. Van Cleave was graduated from the Wilsonville High School in 1905, and from 1910 to 1913, was a student at the University of Nebraska. A Democrat, he served as deputy county clerk from 1914 to 1916, was county clerk from 1917 to 1918, and was county judge from 1925 to 1932.

He was united in marriage with Lora Clair Munger in Furnas County, March 7, 1923. Mrs. Van Cleave, whose ancestry is English, was born in Hamilton County, Kansas, December 3, 1887; she is interested in art. They have the following children: Mary Esther, born January 27, 1924; and Ada Louetta, born April 2, 1928.

Judge Van Cleave is a member of the Nebraska State Bar Association, The Nebraskana Society, and the Masons. Residence: Beaver City.

George Dewey Van Cleef

George D. Van Cleef, leading banker of Thayer County, was born at Hubbell, Nebraska, August 2, 1898. His father, George C. Van Cleef, a farmer, was born at Vinton County, Iowa, January 16, 1854, of Holland descent. His mother, Margaret E. Van Cleef, was born in Vinton County, May 1, 1856, and died at Hubbell, Nebraska, August 19, 1929. She was of French ancestry.

Educated first in Hubbell public schools, Mr. Van Cleef was graduated from Hubbell High School in 1914 and afterward attended Fairbury Business College. There he took an active part in debating.

His marriage to Willa Alerta Holly was solemnized August 6, 1924, at her home in Narka, Kansas. They have one daughter, Bonnie June, born July 29, 1928.

Mr. Van Cleef has been a resident of Nebraska his entire life. He. was associated with the Harbine Bank of Fairhury, Nebraska, from 1917 to 1920, and from 1920 until 1932, was with the Farmers and Merchants State Bank of Hubbell. He is now assistant cashier of the Hubbell Bank.

His religious affiliation is with the Methodist Episcopal Church of Hubbell. He is a member of the Nebraskana Society, a former member of the board of education, and his hobby is insurance. Residence: Hubbell.

Dana Burgess Van Dusen

Dana Burgess Van Dusen, lawyer, was born at Omaha, December 12, 1891, son of James Hamilton and Eugenie (Yawger) Van Dusen. His father, who was a native of New York, practiced law in Omaha until his death. He was descended from Holland Dutch settlers of the Van Dusen family in New Amsterdam about 1620, and the Burgess and Arnold families. Eugenie Yawger, who was born at Union Springs, New York, is descended from German Yawger and French deMersereau families settlers who came to America about 1725.

Mr. Van Dusen was graduated from Omaha High School in 1908, and received his A. B. from the University of Nebraska in 1912. He was managing editor and editor in chief of the Cornhusker during the year 1911-12, was president of the Nebraska Chapter of Phi Gamma Delta in 1912, and was elected to membership in the In-

Horz. bar

nocents and the Iron Sphinx. He was also captain of cadets and a member of the English Club. He entered Creighton Law School for the year 1913, and attended Harvard 1914 and 1915.

Upon his admission to the bar in 1915 he entered the law department of the Union Pacific Railroad. He was later a member of the firm of Brown, Baxter and Van Dusen, and was city attorney and later corporation counsel of Omaha, serving from 1921-29. Since 1929 he has been general counsel of the Metropolitan Utilities District of Omaha. He is now a member of the firm of Brogan, Ellick and Van Dusen, and general counsel for the Northwestern Life Insurance Company of Omaha.

On April 21, 1919, he was married to Elise Maund Smith at Wilmington, North Carolina. They have two children, Jean Howe, born in January, 1920, and Betty Jane, born in June, 1922.

Mr. Van Dusen held the rank of captain, 36th U. S. Infantry, 12th Division, in the World War. He is a member of the American Legion. His professional organizations include the American Bar Association and the Nebraska State Bar Association. He is a Presbyterian, but attends Trinity Cathedral. His clubs are the University Club, the Omaha Club and the Omaha Country Club. Residence: Omaha.

Rolla Clayton Van Kirk

Holla Clayton Van Kirk was born at Brunswick, Nebraska, February 13, 1894, son of Clay B. and Mabel L. (Staples) Van Kirk. His father, who was born in Paris, Kentucky, is bailiff of the Federal Court at Lincoln. His ancestry is Holland. Mabel L. Van Kirk, his mother, was born at Stewartsville, Minnesota, and is of Scotch descent.

Mr. Van Kirk attended public and high school, Yankton College and the University of Nebraska, where he received his LL.B. He is a member of Alpha Sigma Phi and Phi Alpha Delta. Upon his admission to the. bar in 1923, he entered active practice, and is at present associated with the law firm of Burkett, Wilson, Brown, Wilson and Van Kirk. A Republican, he served as a member of the house of representatives 1927-30 and member of the state senate 1931-33.

During the World War he served as a private in the United States Marines, 2nd Division; he now holds the rank of first lieutenant in the. 134th Infantry, Nebraska National Guard, and is a member of the American Legion, Forty and Eight, Reserve Officers Association, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Disabled Veterans of America.

He was married to Lenore Catherine Burkett, a teacher of music at Lincoln, December 27, 1924. Their son, Clayton Burkett, was born September 17, 1929. They attend Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Van Kirk is a member of the Nebraska State Bar Association, the Elks and the Masons. His club is the Lincoln Country and his hobby National Guard activities. Residence: Lincoln.

Vernon Samuel Van Norman

Vernon Samuel Van Norman, who was born at Moville, Iowa, August 4, 1890, is the son of Samuel Seward and Sadie Anna (McKee) Van Norman. His father, who was born at Moscow, Wisconsin, April 1, 1868, is a farmer and stockman. His mother, a practical nurse, whose ancestry is Scotch, English and Irish, was born at Sioux City, Iowa, March 23, 1870.

Mr. Van Norman studied pedagogy at the high school of Pierce, Nebraska, and later attended Wesleyan University and Wayne Normal College. He was active in all athletics at Wesleyan University. For a time he engaged in farming in Rock County, was a teacher there for six years, and for the past six years has been manager and bookkeeper of the Bassett Lumber Yard, Bassett, Nebraska.

He is vice president of the Lions Club, is secretary of the County Fair Board, is chairman of the Hock County High School Association, and is serving as president of the Bassett School Board. Mr. Van Norman holds membership in the Red Cross, is a member of the Board of Regents of the Parent-Teachers' Association, and is affiliated with the Odd Fellows, Masons, and Modern Woodmen of America. He is a member of the Bassett Methodist Episcopal Church and is serving as superintendent of the Sunday School in that denomination. A Republican he served as county assessor of Hock County one term.

His marriage to Josephine Margaret Linke occurred at Bassett, January 1, 1914. Mrs. Van Norman, whose ancestry is German, was born at Bassett, December 28, 1894. They have three children: Robert, born October 18, 1917; Warren, born June 26, 1923; and Raymond, born December 8, 1927. Residence: Bassett.

Ralph Alexander Van Orsdel

Ralph Alexander Van Orsdel, lawyer, was born at Newcastle, Pennsylvania, February. 6, 1884, son of Joseph G. and Hannah Elizabeth (Pomeroy) Van Orsdel.

Mr. Van Orsdel attended public school at Independence and Dallas, Oregon, and in 1906 received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Nebraska. In 1910 he received the Bachelor of Laws degree from Creighton University.

His marriage to Esther Amelia Hunter was solemnized at Fremont, July 1, 1913. Mr. Van Orsdel is a member of the Second Church of Christ, Scientist, the Omaha, Nebraska State and American Bar Associations, the Chamber of Commerce, the Masons, Knights Templar, and Shrine. Residence: Omaha.

Robert Van Pelt

Robert Van Pelt, lawyer, was born on a farm in Gosper County, Nebraska, September 9, 1897. His father, Francis M. Van Pelt, was born near Perry, Illinois, July 11, 1857, of Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry. Sarah (Simon) Van Pelt, his mother, who was born in Dane County, Wisconsin, September 13, 1858, is Norwegian.

Mr. Van Pelt attended the public school at Stockville, Nebraska, and was graduated in 1910. In 1914, he was graduated from the Franklin Academy at Franklin, Nebraska. He was awarded the A. B. degree at Doane College, at Crete, Nebraska, in 1920, and received the LL. B. degree at the University of Nebraska in 1922. A letterman in track at Doane, he is a member of Delta Sigma Rho, Phi Sigma Kappa, and Phi Delta Phi.

A rural school teacher in Frontier County, Nebraska, in 1914 he was deputy county treasurer in Frontier County; 1915-16, was associated with Stewart, Perry & Stewart, lawyers at Lincoln, 1921-24; and was with the firm Stewart, Perry, Stewart & Van Pelt, 1925-1926. From 1927 to 1929, he was with Perry & Van Pelt, and since 1929, he has been associated with Perry, Van Pelt and Marti.

Mr. Van Pelt is a Republican. Since 1930, he has been assistant United States attorney.

His marriage to Mildred Ruth Carter was solemnized at Fullerton, Nance County, Nebraska, June 17, 1925. Mrs. Van Pelt was born at Genoa, Nance County, Nebraska, March 3, 1899. They have one son, Robert Van Pelt, born March 22, 1928.

In the World War Mr. Van Pelt served in the O. T. C. at Camp McArthur, Texas. He is a member of the Lancaster County Bar Association, (secretary of this organization for two years), the Nebraska State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Junior Chamber of Commerce at Lincoln, and has served on the board of

Horz. bar

directors of the Young Men's Christian Association since 1924. He is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, and is affiliated with the First Plymouth Congregational Church of Lincoln. Residence: Lincoln.

Sarah Van Pelt

Born at Perry, Wisconsin, September 13, 1858, Sarah Van Pelt is the daughter of Nels and Ele (Olson) Simon. Her father, who was a carpenter and served in the Norwegian Array for four years, was born at Gubrandsdal, Norway, August 26, 1819, and died at Perry, Wisconsin, December 28, 1872. Her mother was born at Gubrandsdal, Norway, October 1, 1815, and died in Gosper County, Nebraska, February 25, 1902.

Mrs. Van Pelt attended the public schools of Wisconsin. She has been actively interested in civic and community affairs at Stockville, Nebraska, for over a half century. She came to Nebraska with her brother, Nels, in a covered wagon in 1874, locating in Gosper County. In the spring of 1875 she went to Moscow, Wisconsin, being employed with a family by the name of Flint, with whom she stayed until 1880; they moving to Iowa. Mrs. Van Pelt, after a visit with her parents at Burton's Bend in Gosper County, went to Dennison, Iowa, where she worked for a family by the name of Laub, then returning to Nebraska procuring a place of employment as cook in the old Arapahoe House, at Arapahoe, Nebraska. Having homesteaded previous to this time in Frontier County, she proved upon the same in 1891, disposing of it in March, 1898. She holds membership in the Royal Neighbors, the Southwest Nebraska Historical Society, the Red Cross, and during the World War was active in local organizations, serving and doing all possible to do her share. She also holds membership in the Nebraskana Society. She is affiliated with the First Congregational Church of Stockville, is past noble grand of the Rebekah Lodge and received the Decoration of Chivalry in York, 1923. She is an ardent prohibition enthusiast.

She was married at Cambridge, Nebraska, March 15, 1885, to Francis M. Van Pelt, who was born in Pike County, Illinois, July 10, 1857. They have one son, Robert Van Pelt, born September 9, 1897; on June 17, 1925, he was married to Mildred Carter at Fullerton, Nebraska. To them were born two children, Robert, born March 22, 1928; and Marjorie, born June 18, 1931. He is United States attorney at Lincoln, Nebraska. Residence: Stockville. (Photograph in Album).


Edward A. Van Steenberg

Edward A. Van Steenberg, banker, born at Hildreth, Nebraska, October 3, 1878, son of Robert and Cornelia M. (Cook) Van Steenburg. The father, born in Nunday County, New York, July 2, 1840, died at Hildreth, Nebraska, November 13, 1913. He was a farmer and a veteran of the Civil War. His wife, Cornelia, was born in Portgage, Wisconsin, July 9, 1842, and died at Hildreth, February 28, 1892. She taught in the first public school in Franklin County in 1872-73.

Educated in public school and at Franklin Academy, Mr. Van Steenburg was a farmer until 1905, and has since been a banker. He is president of the Franklin County Bank of Hildreth, and takes an active part in Republican politics. He has been a member of the school board twelve years, county treasurer 1912, 13, 14, 15; and from 1929-32 has been a member of the board of county supervisors.

On November 13, 1908, he was married to Frances M. Dennis at Auburn. She was born in New York City May 30, 1888. There are three children, Earl, born August 11, 1909; Edna, born October 19, 1910; and Ada, born June 6, 1916.

Mr. Van Steenbnrg is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Red Cross, the Odd Fellows and the Parent Teachers Association. Residence: Hildreth.

Guy Van Steenberg

Born at Macon, Nebraska, September 24, 1880, Guy Van Steenberg is the son of Robert William and Cornelia Melissa (Cook) Van Steenberg. His father, who served in the Civil War and who was a farmer for many years, was born in New York, July 2, 1840. Coming to Nebraska July 2, 1872, he homesteaded on Macon Prairie, and died at College View, Nebraska, November 2, 1913. His mother, who was a teacher before her marriage, was born in New York, July 9, 1842. She came to Nebraska on the same wagon train with Robert Van Steenberg and they were married in Franklin County, in 1873. She was one of the first school teachers of Franklin County, and died at Macon, February 27, 1892.

Mr. Van Steenberg attended rural school and was a student at Franklin Academy for two years. He served as director of the rural school board, 1910-27, and is a charter member and past president of the Rotary Club. He is a member of the Beaver City Chamber of Commerce, the Nebraskana Society, and the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Mason. As a farmer near Beaver City, he takes an active interest in all community affairs. His hobby is reading.

He was united in marriage with Armanda Jane Keim at Bloomington, Nebraska, December 24, 1903. Four children were born to them: Mildred, March 1, 1905, who is a teacher; Ivan March 7, 1907, a student in law school; Irma, July 26, 1911, who is a teacher; and Richard, March 15, 1917, who is a student in high school. Residence: Beaver City.

Ward Henry Van Tilborg

On April 18, 1903, Ward Henry Van Tilborg was born at Alva, Oklahoma, son of Harry Bismark Van Tilborg and Elizabeth N. (Gitthens) Van Tilborg. His father was born in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, August 22, 1869, of Dutch parentage, and is a salesman. His mother is of Scotch-Irish parentage and was born in Platte City, Missouri, March 15, 1868.

Ward Van Tilborg received his education in Loveland, Colorado, and Lincoln, Nebraska, and in 1931 he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from the University of Nebraska. On July 9, 1926, he was united in marriage with Agnes Mae Meyers at Omaha. She was born at Hemingford, Nebraska, June 6, 1902, of German parentage. They have a son, Ross, who was born September 22, 1927.

Mr. Van Tilborg was an intertype operator while he attended the university. He was principal of the high school at Rulo, Nebraska, in 1925, and from 1926-30, was superintendent of the schools at Hordville, Nebraska. At present he is superintendent of the schools in Ulysses, Nebraska.

He is affiliated with the Christian Church and the Democratic party. He holds membership in the Ulysses Commercial Club and is a member of The Ncbraskana Society. Tennis and reading are his favorite recreations. Residence: Ulysses.

Emily Lucinda Van Valin

Emily Lucinda Van Valin, pioneer Nebraskan, was born at Hudson, Michigan, February 11, 1842, a daughter of Simon and Nancy (Warner) Piper. Her father, a native of Ontario, New York, was born June 5, 1,817, and died at Hudson, March 12, 1857, after a successful life as a farmer. He was of Scotch-Irish descent. His wife, Nancy Warner, was born in Ontario, March 13, 1813, and died at Hudson, January 10, 1856.

Educated first in rural schools, Emily Piper later was a college student at Albion, Michigan. Following her marriage to Joseph Van Valin, and in 1871, the family removed to Saunders County, Nebraska. and two

Horz. bar
Prior page
Honor Roll
Next page

© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller