Past & Present of Platte County, Nebraska - Volume II
Carroll Dandola Evans
CARROLL DANDOLA EVANS, M. D.
Dr. Carroll Dandola Evans, a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore, Maryland, has been engaged in the active practice of his profession for thirty-four years, and his life work has been regarded as a valuable contribution to those agencies and elements which work for the uplift and benefit of mankind Outside the strict path of his profession his influence has ever been on the side of progress, nor has it been of a restricted order as many, relying upon his good judgment, have followed his leadership. He is, moreover, a prominent representative of Masonry in Nebraska and ranks very high in that order.
A native of Pennsylvania, Dr. Evans was born at Tarentum, Allegheny county, May 26, 1856, and is descended from ancestry American in its lineal and collateral branches through many generations. His great-great-grandfather was one of the colonists who, a hundred strong, accompanied William Penn to the new world in 1681, when he came to take possession of the territory which he had purchased of the crown and which afterward became the state of Pennsylvania. In 1683, when Penn returned to England, he appointed the ancestor of Dr. Evans to serve as deputy governor, in which capacity he continued until 1689. He was a brother of the father of Sir Robert Evans, who in turn was the father of Mary Ann Evans, who under the non de plume of George Eliot became one of the distinguished representatives of the literary world. The ancestral estate of the Evans family near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was still in possession of representatives of the name until 1913, when it passed out of the family.
The paternal grandparents of Dr. Evans were born and reared near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, there spending the greater part of their lives, and their religious faith was indicated by their membership in the Friends church. The maternal grandfather, John Hammel, was a member of the American army in the War of 1812, and also participated in Indian wars in western Pennsylvania and Ohio. Both he and his wife were of Pennsylvania birth. The parents of Dr. Evans were William Valentine and Rachel (Hammer) Evans, who were among the earliest settlers of the Connoquenessing valley, in Butler county Pennsylvania. After remaining there for about sixteen years they removed to Tarentum, Allegheny county. At a period which antedated the building of a railroad across the Allegheny mountains William V. Evans with an older brother made the journey to the "far west" and established his home in the wilds of western Pennsylvania, where he met the experiences of pioneer life with the sturdy courage and determination of the frontiersman. His home was in the Connoquenessing valley, about three miles from the present site of Evans City, in Butler county While he adhered to many of the beliefs and practices of his Quaker ancestry he did not abstain from activity in political affairs. On
6PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY
the contrary he became a leader of party thought and action, and he gave earnest support to many movements which promoted morality and religious activity in his district and which upheld good government. Moreover, he departed from the teachings of the Friends in that he was a member of the militia of his state. In a word, he was a man fearless in defense of his honest convictions who guided his course according to the dictates of his judgment.
After supplementing his common-school course by academic instruction in his native town, Dr. Evans had the privilege of pursuing a business course in Duff's College at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and in preparation for a professional career he took up the study of medicine in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, his university course being taken at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore, Maryland, where he was graduated with the class of 1882. Later in the same year he pursued postgraduate work in the New York and Chicago Polyclinic in Gynecology and Surgery. A characteristic of his youth was his ambition for advancement. He set his mark high and utilized every opportunity to raise himself to its level. When he marked out a course he persevered therein, regarding no difficulty or obstacle too great to be overcome in carrying out his cherished purpose. This determination on his part has always been one of his salient characteristics and has enabled him to proceed far on the path to establish success. In his professional work, while due deference and respect were always given to the usually accepted authorities and guides on various subjects, he early recognized the fact that medicine and surgery, as sciences, were in an imperfect state; and at the point where authority and guidance were wanting or incomplete it was not in his method of procedure to stop but rather to pursue the subject both as to its requirements and the means necessary to accomplish the desired results. And possessing a high degree of perceptive ability to recognize the proper course to be pursued as well as the executive ability to accomplish the desired result, his professional work has been eminently successful.
Following his graduation from the Baltimore University, Dr. Evans entered upon the practice of his chosen profession at Bradford, Pennsylvania, but after a year, attracted by the opportunities of the growing west, he made his way to Nebraska, arriving at Columbus on the 16th of May, 1882. Reviewing the possibilities and opportunities of the town, he determined to remain and accordingly opened an office. Hardly had he established himself in practice here than he was appointed physician at St. Mary's Hospital, in which position he has since continued, covering a period of a third of a century. His ability as a physician and surgeon has been widely recognized. He did not consider his education completed when his college course was over; on the contrary, he has remained a student of the science of medicine and surgery, keeping abreast with the best thinking men of the age in this connection. Through study and investigation science has revealed to him its secrets, and his growing ability has enabled him to successfully cope with many complex professional problems.
Dr. Evans was married on the 27th of May, 1886, when Miss Lorena Rose North, the eldest daughter of James E. North, of Columbus, Nebraska, became his wife. Her father was a pioneer citizen of the state, having established his home in Columbus in the early part of 1858, while his brother, Major Frank North, won distinction in connection with the Indian warfare. Dr. and Mrs. Evans became the parents of two daughters and two sons, Rachel Nellie, James North, Carroll Dandola and Lorena Rose. This has ever been a most united family, a congenial
Rose North Evans
PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY 9
companionship existing ever between parents and children, while the warmhearted hospitality of the home is greatly enjoyed by their many friends. Theirs is not only the most beautiful home in Columbus, but is one of the finest in the state. Mrs. Evans and family are members of Grace Episcopal church of Columbus and take a deep and helpful interest in its work and wellbeing. In a word, the family name is associated with all that is uplifting and beneficial in community life, and their labors have been an influencing factor for good along various lines.
Dr. Evans' father was a prominent political leader in the days of the old whig party and was a delegate to the convention which was held in Lafayette Hall at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, when the republican party was organized in that state. Reared in the faith of the party the Doctor has never seen reason to change his views but still supports its platform and has contributed much to its success through his efforts to increase its support, yet has never sought the rewards of office in recognition of party fealty.
The military chapter in the life record of Dr. Evans was written during the period of his early manhood, for at that time he became a member of Company H of the Tenth Regiment of the Pennsylvania National Guard, which he joined as a private in 1874, being commissioned second lieutenant by Governor Hartranft on the 3d of January, 1877. While he was thus serving, his regiment was called out in connection with the quelling of the riots of the strikers in the coal regions of Pennsylvania, and in the railroad riots at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1877. He was thus on active duty for three months and was often in the most hazardous and dangerous positions. He remained in active connection with his regiment until May 30. 1878, when he was honorably discharged. On the 15th of January, 1901, he was commissioned by Governor Charles H. Dietrich as aid-de-camp with the rank of colonel on the governor's staff. On the 4th of May, 1901, he was commissioned by Governor Ezra P. Savage as surgeon general of the Nebraska National Guard with the rank of colonel. On the 1st of June, 1902, he became an active member of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States and on the 20th of May, 1901, he was appointed by Governor Savage as a delegate to the Congress of Military Surgeons of the United States, held in St. Paul, Minnesota, May 30, 31 and June 1, 1901. On the 26th of May, 1902, he was appointed by Governor Savage as a delegate to the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States meeting at Washington, D. C., June 5, 6 and 7, 1902, and through appointment of Governor John H. Mickey, on the 5th of April, 1903, he was made surgeon general of the State Guard with the rank of colonel. Ten years before this, through appointment by Governor Savage, he was a delegate to the American Congress of Tuberculosis and attended the meeting held at the Hotel Majestic, New York, on the 14th, 15th and 16th of May, 1893. In the same year he was appointed by the State Medical Association of Nebraska as a delegate to the American Medical Association and attended the meeting held at Milwaukee in June.
While prominently known in professional connections Dr. Evans is also accounted one of the prominent Masons of the state. His identification with the order dates from 1878. On the 8th of July of that year he became a member of Pollock Lodge, No. 502, A. F. & A. M., at Tarentum, Pennsylvania, and was raised to the degree of Master Mason on the 9th of September. He was made a Royal Arch Mason August 12, 1881, in Bradford Chapter, No. 260, at Bradford, Pennsylvania, and on the 24th of May, 1885, became a member of Gebal Council, No. 12, R. & S. M.,
10PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY
at Columbus, Nebraska. He was made a Knight Templar, December 13, 1883, in Mount Tabor Commandery, No. 9, at Fremont, Nebraska, and in January, 1886, he attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He was elected knight commander of the Court of Honor, October 20, 1903, and received the thirty-third degree on the 12th of February, 1908, at Omaha, Nebraska. He is a past officer of Pollock Lodge of Tarentum, Pennsylvania, and of Lebanon Lodge of Columbus; has received official honors in Orient Chapter, R. A. M., of Columbus; Gebal Council, R. & S. M.; Gethsemane Commandery, No. 21, K. T.; is past grand commander of the Knights Templar of Nebraska and was inspector general of the Grand Commandery for four years. He has also been grand king of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Nebraska and has served on important committees in the Grand Lodge. He is a member of Coeur de Lion Conclave, No. 10, Red Cross of Constantine, at Omaha; of the Royal Order of Scotland at Washington, D. C.; was created a noble in Tengier Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., June 27, 1892, at Omaha; and received the Order of the Eastern Star, December 27, 1898, at Columbus, Nebraska. For some time he served on the board of trustees of the Nebraska Masonic Home at Plattsmouth, and was really the organizer of the Masonic Orphanage at Fremont, Nebraska. He also served as secretary of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States for several years.
Of him it has been written: "Being a man of enterprise and character, he has stamped his individuality upon all the Masonic bodies of which he has been a member, cheerfully and willingly aiding to build up the several organizations of the state, and to the labor and ability of such citizens as Dr. Evans the fraternity in Nebraska owes much of the high standing it has attained in our commonwealth." The foregoing indicates that Dr. Evans has attained high honors in various connections, that he has played well his part in life and that his efforts have been resultant and beneficial, proving of marked worth to the community in which he lives.
John Boyer, postmaster of Humphrey, was born in Virginia, August 18, 1866, a son of Hugh and Margaret (James) Boyer, natives of the Old Dominion. The father was a farmer and stock-raiser, but at the time of the Civil war put aside business and personal considerations and served for four years as a member of the Confederate army. He afterward resumed agricultural pursuits in his native state, where he remained until 1882, when he came to Nebraska and secured a homestead in the western part of the state. This he operated until his death, which occurred in March, 1906. He became known as one of the representative and highly respected agriculturists of the district in which he lived.
John Boyer was reared and educated in Virginia, remaining under the parental roof until twenty-two years of age, when he went to Madison county, Nebraska, where for four years he cultivated a farm. He next removed to Boone county. where he rented land for three years. although in the meantime he engaged in buying stock in Humphrey for Dave Hale for about nine years. Upon leaving Boone county he returned to Humphrey, where he conducted a real-estate business for six years, at the end of which time he entered upon the duties of assessor of
PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY 11
Granville township, serving in that capacity for a year. In January, 1914, he was appointed postmaster of Humphrey by President Wilson, which fact indicates his allegiance to the democratic party.
In August, 1897, Mr. Boyer was married to Miss Catherine Lich, a daughter of Christian and Elizabeth Lich, natives of Germany, who came to America in early life, while for the past twenty years Mr. Lich has been numbered among the farmers of Madison county, Nebraska. His wife passed away in 1906. Mr. and Mrs. Boyer have become the parents of six children: Mary, who is a clerk in the postoffice; Catherine; Albert; Oscar; George; and Floyd.
Mr. Boyer is interested in the cause of education and has served for five years as a school director in his home locality. He now holds membership with the Royal Highlanders and with the Modern Woodmen of America, is loyal to the beneficent spirit of those organizations and is one of the well known and highly respected residents of his community.
DAVID THOMAS MARTYN, M. D.
Dr. David Thomas Martyn, of Columbus, is one of the distinguished physicians in his section of the state. Long actively engaged in practice, be has maintained a position among the foremost representatives of his profession, keeping in touch with advanced thought and methods and actuated at all times by a desire to be of service to his fellowmen. Kindliness, sympathy and helpfulness are features in his practice which have ever dominated his desire for pecuniary reward. Dr. Martyn was born at Granville, Vermont, July 26, 1845, his parents being Marshall and Abigail (Eaton) Martyn, who were also natives of the Green Mountain state.
Dr. Martyn was eighteen years of age when he became a resident of Illinois and after teaching for a year he enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry for service in the Civil war. He remained at the front until the close of hostilities in 1865 and then entered the medical department of the Northwestern University, from which he was graduated in 1869.
In 1870 Dr. Martyn removed to Nebraska, settling at Columbus in 1876, so that he has now practiced in that city for almost four decades. His marked ability brought him immediately to the front and he has few peers and no superiors in professional work in Platte county. Broad reading has kept him in touch with the advanced thought of the day and he is the loved family physician in many a house hold where he has ministered through long years.
On the 1st of March, 1877, in Clarks, Nebraska, Dr. Martyn was united in marriage to Miss Susan P. George, by whom he had the following children: Dr. David T. Martyn Jr.; Lucy H., the wife of W. E. Rhodes, of Chicago, Illinois; Susan P., who gave her hand in marriage to Charles E. Givens, of Kirksville, Missouri; Homer M., living in Kirksville. Missouri; and Helen R., who died at the age of three years. Dr. Martyn belongs to the Knights of Pythias fraternity. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, but while firmly believing in its principles, he has never had time nor inclination for public office. He has always preferred to concentrate his energies upon his professional duties, which have ever been discharged with the utmost sense of conscientious obligation.
12PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY
An indication of the general feeling entertained for him in the city where he has so long resided was expressed in an article written by Edgar Howard, editor and proprietor of the Columbus Telegram, for the issue of that paper of December 5, 1913. The article read as follows: "One of the most beautiful pictures in the average person's parlor of memory is the one which portrays the kindly features of the old family physician, and the gaze never turns to the picture without recall of the gracious and helpful ministrations of the one whose mission to the home was the banishment of pain. Despite all the present-day denunciation of the awful disclosures of mixing money with medicine, and the proved crime of fee-splitting between physicians and surgeons, let us not forget that the profession of medicine still holds within its ranks some real noblemen, many of whom minister to Nebraskans, and several of them to the people of Columbus. I know a type of the old-time conscientious and kindly family physician of our boyhood dreams. He came to Columbus thirty-eight years ago last Saturday -- came here in a day when the telephone was an undreamed dream -- in a day when the automobile was not even a creature of imagination -- in a day when the motive power of the physician was his saddle horse. For nearly forty years this prince of a noble calling has ministered to the people of Columbus and for fifty miles around, and with a fidelity so instant and so lasting that today the very presence of the old practitioner, now entering the years of gray but still wearing the smile and the charm of a faceless youth, is a real tonic to thousands of men and women who through four decades have been helped by the healthful influence of his personality, or healed by the application of his medical skill. Last Saturday, when I saw that magnificent man and minister celebrating the thirtyeighth anniversary of his professional advent in Columbus by a programme of devotion to his patients, the thought came to me that if on that day there might have been assembled in one place all the men and women who have appreciated the professional services and admired the honorable personal life of Dr. David T. Martyn, no amphitheatre in all the world had been large enough to receive the throng, and no earthly choir had been able to sound sweeter peans of praise than would there have been loosed in honor of a man who sweetly serves the Master by living a life of service to humanity."
HOWARD A. CLARKE.
Howard A. Clarke has been identified with financial interests of Columbus since 1903 as cashier of the Columbus State Bank, the oldest state bank in Nebraska. His birth occurred in Bellevue, Sarpy county, Nebraska, on the 15th of December, 1868, his parents being Artemas Matthewson and Almira A. (Williams) Clarke, the former born in Greenwich, New York, in 1838, and the latter in Pennsylvania. Their marriage was celebrated in the Keystone state on the 1st of January, 1856 and in the same year they removed to Bellevue, Nebraska, where Artemas M. Clarke had established a mercantile and stock business in 1855. In 1879 they made their way to Omaha and there spent the remainder of their lives, Mr. Clarke passing away in 1911 and his wife in 1914. The latter was a lineal descendant of Roger Williams, while Artemas M. Clarke was a descendant of a brother of John Clarke, who with Roger Williams was one of the founders of
PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY 13
Rhode Island. Isaac Duncan Clarke, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Massachusetts.
Howard A. Clarke completed a high-school course at Omaha by graduation and remained in that city until 1900, when he removed to Gretna, Sarpy county, Nebraska, where he was president of the Farmers & Merchants Bank for three years. On the expiration of that period, in 1903, he came to Columbus as cashier of the Columbus State Bank, having remained in that capacity continuously since. He is widely recognized as a capable, courteous and obliging official and his efforts have contributed in no small degree to the continued growth and success of the institution. He is likewise the president of the Platte County Bank at Platte Center, Nebraska, and thus a prominent factor in financial circles of the community.
On the 5th of December, 1899, in Columbus, Nebraska, Mr. Clarke was united in marriage to Miss Nelly Post, a daughter of the Hon. A. M. Post. Their children are three in number, namely: Artemas M., Elizabeth Sterling and Bruce Teft Clarke. In his political views Mr. Clarke is a stanch republican, while his religious faith is that of the Baptist church. He is a Master Mason and also belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a man of high social and business standing and is recognized as one of the valuable and worthy citizens of Columbus.
HERMAN W. LUEDTKE.
Herman W. Luedtke, cashier of the Citizens State Bank at Creston, belongs to that type of substantial and representative business men who are factors in promoting the stability of a community, advancing the public welfare while promoting their individual success. He was born in Sherman township, this county, July 20, 1880, and is a son of Herman and Louisa (Meyer) Luedtke, both of whom were natives of Germany, remaining in the fatherland until 1869, when they came to the new world, first settling in Wisconsin. In 1871 they came to Platte county, Nebraska, and settled in Sherman township, where the father took up a homestead, immediately beginning the improvement and development of the land. He there underwent the hardships of a pioneer and the grasshopper years. He continued to operate his farm throughout his remaining days, his life's labors being terminated in death in November, 1900. For several years he had survived his wife, who passed away in June, 1891.
Herman W. Luedtke was reared and educated in the county which is still his home, attending the district schools and the public schools of Creston and completing his course in the Fremont Normal School at Fremont, Nebraska. He then took up the profession of teaching in school districts No. 49 and No. 46, devoting his attention to that work for two terms. He afterward secured a clerkship in a general store in Creston, where he remained for a year, but at the end of that time he entered the Citizens State Bank as assistant cashier in 1903, serving in that capacity until 1912, when he was promoted to the position of cashier, while his brother Eric became assistant cashier. Herman W. Luedtke is also one of the stockholders and directors of the bank and is a popular official, always obliging and courteous, while at the same time he carefully safeguards the interests of the bank and
14PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY
therefore protects the stockholders and depositors. In addition to his other interests he is a stockholder in and secretary of the Creston-Blau Gas Company of Creston and in the Farmers Grain & Stock Company.
In June, 1907, occurred the marriage of Mr. Luedtke and Miss Anna Graham a daughter of Edward T. and Laura B. (Morris) Graham, the former born in Prince Edward Island, while the mother was a native of Wisconsin. Mr. Graham arrived in Platte county in 1871 and homesteaded land in Humphrey township, giving his undivided attention to the improvement and operation of his farm from that time to the present. Success has attended his efforts in large measure, and he has added to his holdings until he is now the owner of ten hundred and forty acres of splendidly improved land, the wisdom of his judgment being shown in his judicious investments. He is also the vice president of the Citizens State Bank of Creston and is regarded as one of the foremost business men of his part of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Luedtke have become the parents of three children: Milan G., who was born June 25, 1909; Lois C., born February 29, 1912; and Ilene M., born October 31, 1914.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Luedtke is a Knight of Pythias and a Royal Highlander. Politically he is connected with the democratic party and is one of its prominent local workers, having served as central committeeman in Platte county for about ten years. He belongs to the Lutheran church, and his interest in the cause of education has been manifest in his effective service as a member of the school board for the past ten years. He takes an active interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community and his efforts have been intelligently directed along lines which have proven of the greatest benefit in community affairs.
MAXIMILIAN M. ROTHLEITNER.
The name of Hon. Maximilian M. Rothleitner is inseparably interwoven with the history of Columbus because of the important part which he has played in educational progress, in commercial activities and in political connections. He is now mayor of the city and as such is giving to Columbus a businesslike, progressive administration, characterized by needed reforms and improvements.
Mr. Rothleitner was born in Bergstadt, Austria, September 21, 1868, a son of Joseph and Johanna (Schmidt) Rothleitner. The father came to America in 1872 and the family followed in 1875, but the mother died in Castle Garden, New York, on landing from the steamship on which she had sailed for the new world, leaving five children, three sons and two daughters, in the eastern metropolis alone, the eldest, Frank, being then but fifteen years of age. The father was out in Nebraska at the time, but the family fell into kindly hands, for a German Lutheran minister of New York happened along, saw to the interment of the mother and took charge of the children, whom he afterward sent on to their father in Platte county, Nebraska. Mr. Rothleitner still lives, his home being now in Columbus, Nebraska. He afterward married again, his second union being with Adele Wanke, and to them was born a son, Anton Joseph.
Maximilian M. Rothleitnor was a little lad of about seven years when brought to the new world by his mother. He attended school in Platte county and afterward
MAXIMILIAN M. ROTHLEITNER
PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY 17
went to McMinnville, Oregon, where he spent three years as a student in the McMinnville College, a Baptist institution, through which he worked his way, thus displaying the elemental strength of his character which has been again and again manifested in later relations of life. It was his desire to become a member of the bar, although his father wished him to take up the profession of medicine and refused him any assistance in his efforts to become a lawyer. It was this which led Mr. Rothleitner to start out for himself and, as previously stated, he spent three years as a student in McMinnville College. Leaving there in 1887, he returned to Platte county Nebraska, and the following week began teaching school. In the spring of 1888 he attended the Fremont (Neb.) Normal and in the fall of 1888 he taught at the Loseke school in Platte county for ten months. Later he went to Creston, Nebraska, where he engaged in teaching for a year, and in 1890 he was nominated for the position of county superintendent of schools of Platte county on the democratic ticket but was defeated. He afterward accepted the position of principal of the Lindsay, Platte county, high school, where he continued for a year, and for one term he was principal of the Bismark Academy of Platte county. He next entered Dixon College at Dixon, Illinois, as a student, spending fifteen months there, at the end of which time he was graduated with the class of 1893 with valedictorian honors.
Mr. Rothleitner was then notified by telegraph that he had just been renominated for the position of county superintendent of Platte county, and returning, he entered upon the campaign work and was elected. He proved so capable at the head of the school system of the county that he was twice reelected, and served in all for six years. He then became principal of the first ward school, continuing in that position for several months, after which he became principal of the old high school (second ward), remaining there for four years. On the expiration of that period he resigned and severed his connection with educational activity. He turned to mercantile pursuits, purchasing a hardware store in Columbus, since which time he has been active along that line. While his present business calls for very different qualities than were necessary in his educational work, he has proved equal to the demands made upon him and is now a progressive, prosperous, well known and highly respected merchant of his city.
On the 10th of January, 1893, in Columbus, Nebraska, Mr. Rothleitner was united in marriage to Miss Alice Leota Swartsley, a daughter of the Hon. John Swartsley, an ex-legislator of Nebraska. They have two children: Milton Monroe and Homer Louis.
In his religious faith Mr. Rothleitner is a Presbyterian and fraternally he is connected with the Masons. His influence has always been on the side of right, progress and improvement, and he looks at the vital questions of the day from no narrow or contracted standpoint, but rather from the position of a broadminded student of the signs of the times. He has always voted with the democratic party and his fitness for office led to his selection in 1907 for the position of councilman from the third ward, in which capacity he served for one term. In 1913 he was elected mayor and was reelected a year later, carrying the council with him. To his efforts are attributable many important improvements, the establishment of splendid sidewalks, well paved streets. an excellent sewer system, the Carnegie library and other public utilities and enterprises which are of notable worth in the community. He also rebuilt the water system. He is indeed a progressive mayor
18PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY
and at the same time conducts the affairs of the city upon a businesslike basis. He does not hamper advancement by useless retrenchment, but in all things follows a policy that is dictated by sound judgment and a thorough understanding of all the phases of a situation.
Jacob Krebs, of Humphrey, is the proprietor of one of the finest hardware stores in Platte county, carrying a large and well selected stock, which is attractively set forth in a fine modern building. His course measures up to the highest standard of commercial ethics and thus it is that he has won an enviable and creditable position among the leading merchants of the county. He was born in Germany in August, 1862, a son of Joseph and Margaret (Fruchs) Krebs, who were natives of Bavaria, Germany, whence they came to the new world with their family in 1865, settling in Davenport, Iowa. There the father worked in a malt house for four years, at the end of which time he removed to Sioux county, Iowa, where in 1871 he took up a homestead claim, which he cultivated and improved, continuing the operation of his well developed farm there until 1891, when he retired from active business life and removed to Alton, Iowa. He is now living in that town at the advanced age of eighty-three years, while his wife has reached the age of seventy-three.
Jacob Krebs was reared and educated in Sioux county, Iowa, and remained at home with his parents until he reached the age of twenty-six years, when he went to Le Mars, Iowa, and pursued his studies for a term in the normal school. He afterward learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for a year in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Returning to the old homestead after his father retired, he engaged in general farming for two years and next removed to Lindsay, Nebraska, where he followed farming for a year and also worked at carpentering. Later he purchased a farm north of Humphrey, in Madison county, Nebraska, and with characteristic energy began to further develop and improve that place, operating it until 1898, when he retired from the farm on account of poor health and rented his land. He then came to Humphrey but still owns the farm. He worked in a hardware store for three and a half years and then purchased a half interest in the hardware business of Henry Fox, an association that was maintained until 1906, when the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Krebs became proprietor of another store. He has been alone since that time and is now at the head of one of the finest establishments of the kind in the county. It is modern in every respect. He occupies a fine business block, which was erected in 1914, and in it he carries a large stock of shelf and heavy hardware, his business methods commending him to the patronage and continued support of the public.
In October, 1890, Mr. Krebs was joined in wedlock to Miss Katherine Gasper, a daughter of Michael and Anna (Like) Gasper, who were natives of Prussia. They came to America in childhood and were among the early settlers of Wisconsin, in which state the paternal grandfather secured a homestead claim. There Michael Gasper was reared and educated and in early manhood he began farming in Mills county, Iowa, being a resident of that state at the time its first governor
PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY 19
was elected. He was closely associated with the pioneer development of the district in which he lived and continued to carry on farming there until 1894, when he sold out and came to Nebraska, purchasing land in Walker township, Platte county. This he cultivated and improved for eight years and then, retiring from active life, removed to Lindsay, where he now resides at the ripe old age of seventy-eight years, while his wife has reached the age of seventy-three years. Mr. and Mrs. Krebs became the parents of six children, of whom two died in infancy, the others being: Anna, twenty-three years of age, now at home; Michael, twenty-one years of age, working at the carpenter's trade; Joseph, nineteen years of age, working with his brother; and Mary, who has reached the age of fourteen.
The family are Catholics in religious faith and in political belief Mr. Krebs is a democrat. He is now treasurer of Humphrey township, which position he has filled for eight years, and for four years he was a member of the city council of Humphrey, while for two years he filled the office of mayor, exercising his official prerogatives in support of many measures for the public good and at all times upholding those interests which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride.
Louis Robert, who resides on section 9, Sherman township, is widely recognized as a prosperous and enterprising agriculturist, now owning three hundred and twenty acres of land in Platte county and also another farm of one hundred and seventeen acres in Colfax county. His birth occurred in Hanover, Germany, on the 9th of December, 1861, his parents being Henry and Anna (Neuhaus) Robert. The father emigrated to the United States in 1870 in order to escape military service and after reaching America worked for a season in the harvest fields near Omaha. He then came to Platte county and took up a homestead claim of eighty acres in Sherman township, where our subject now resides. The following year Henry Robert sent for his family. Their first home was a dugout and afterward the father built a log house which is still standing, being now used as a machine shed. It is still in a good state of preservation and the logs, some of which are three feet wide, are of elm and cottonwood, while one of the largest is of oak. Mr. Robert devoted his attention to farming in Sherman township throughout the remainder of his life, passing away at the age of eighty-one years, on the 16th of April, 1914, when the community mourned the loss of one of its honored pioneer citizens and representative agriculturists. He had long survived his wife, whose demise occurred twenty-two years ago, at the age of sixty-nine. The latter was twice married and by her first husband had two children, one of whom, Henry Huntemann, now lives on a farm in Sherman township.
The gentleman whose name introduces this review was the only child of his parents and he was reared to manhood on the home farm in Sherman township, eventually purchasing the property. General agricultural pursuits have claimed his time and energies throughout his entire business career and success has attended his efforts as the years have gone by, so that he is now the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land in Platte county as well as a tract of one hundred and seventeen acres in Colfax county. His fields are carefully tilled and cul-
20PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY
tivated, the crops being systematically rotated from year to year, thus enabling him to keep the soil in a high state of productivity and annually reap abundant harvests.
As a companion and helpmate on the journey of life Mr. Robert chose Miss Louisa Voss, a native of Oldenburg, Germany, and a daughter of Gerhard and Anna (Pralle) Voss. The mother is deceased, but the father still survives and makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Robert. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Robert are five in number, as follows: Sophia, who is the wife of Louis Cattau; Louisa, Henry, Emil and Emma, all at home.
Mr. Robert gives his political allegiance to the democracy and in religious faith is a Lutheran. The period of his residence in Platte county covers more than four decades and he has long been numbered among its successful farmers and valued citizens.
HON. ALFRED M. POST.
High on the roll of eminent lawyers and jurists of Nebraska is inscribed the name of Hon. Alfred M. Post, who was for six years a judge of the supreme court and is now actively engaged in the practice of law at Columbus. He was born in Greenfield, Pennsylvania, August 10, 1849, his parents being William E. and Sarah (Wallace) Post, both of whom were natives of the Keystone state. The father, who was born in Washington county, was of English lineage, while the mother came of Scotch-Irish ancestry. Rev. William E. Post was a minister of the Presbyterian faith, devoting his life to his holy calling until death terminated his labors in 1870. His widow survived him for seven years, passing away in 1877.
Judge Post supplemented a public-school education by a course of law study in the University of Ohio at Athens, where he was graduated with the class of 1869. He then removed to Bloomfield, Iowa, where he joined his parents, who had established their home there in 1862. For a time Judge Post engaged in teaching school in Iowa but in 1870 was admitted to the bar and entered upon the active work of the profession at Leon, Decatur county, where he at once opened an office. He remained in active practice there until December, 1874, when he was appointed consul to the Cape Verde Islands by President Grant, spending two and a half years in the consular service but not all of the time in the Islands. He has been identified with Columbus since 1876, in which year he entered upon the practice of law in this city. Along with those qualities indispensable to the lawyer -- a keen, rapid, logical mind, plus the business sense and a ready capacity for hard work, -- he brought to the starting point of his legal career certain rare gifts -- eloquence of language and a strong personality. An excellent presence, an earnest, dignified manner, marked strength of character, a thorough grasp of the law and the ability to accurately apply its principles were factors in his effectiveness as an advocate. His ability brought him into public notice and in 1883 he was appointed judge of the fourth district. He was elected to that position in 1883 and 1887 and he served upon the bench of the district for eight years or until the fall of 1891, when he was elected a judge of the supreme court of Nebraska, continuing in that position until January, 1898. From 1911 until 1913 he was chairman of the commission for codifying the laws of Nebraska. His decisions while on the supreme court
PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY 21
bench as well as on the district bench indicate strong mentality, careful analysis, a thorough knowledge of the law and an unbiased judgment, and his analytical mind, combined with readiness in grasping the points of an argument, made him one of the most capable jurists who have ever graced the court of last resort. On his retirement from the bench he resumed active practice. He is deeply learned in the law, and while he does not appear often before the courts as a trial lawyer, he is noted for the wisdom of his counsel and for the thoroughness and comprehensive manner in which he prepares cases for presentation.
On the 6th of October, 1873, in Monroe county, Iowa, Judge Post was united in marriage to Miss Ella Munsell, by whom he has the following children: Nelly, the wife of Howard A. Clarke, of Columbus, Nebraska; Georgia S., who gave her hand in marriage to Dr. C. R. G. Forrester, of Chicago; Martha; William Edward; Alfreda; Dorothy, who is the wife of G. G. Becher, Jr., of Columbus, Nebraska; and Alfred M. Post, Jr. Judge Post and his family attend the Presbyterian church and his life constitutes an influencing force among his fellow citizens, who have come to regard his example as one well worthy to follow because of his keen insight and the soundness of his judgment. His devotion to the general good has made him a public-spirited citizen and one whose work has counted for the benefit of city and state.
JOHN E. HUGG.
John E. Hugg, who for nine years has been cashier of the First National Bank of Humphrey and is a well known and respected representative of financial interests, is ranked, too, with the progressive citizens of the town and often occupies a position of leadership in furthering projects for the general good. He was born in St. Charles, Missouri, June 4, 1867, and is a son of Charles and Agnes (Bohbenrath) Hugg. The father was born in Alsace, Germany, and was a merchant. In the year 1842 he crossed the Atlantic on a sailing vessel, being twenty-seven weeks en route. The destination was New York, but the vessel was blown far out of its course and the landing was made in Florida. Mrs. Hugg was a native of Loraine, Germany. They became residents of St. Charles, Missouri, which at that time contained forty more inhabitants than St. Louis. Mr. Hugg opened a grocery store and extended his activities to include general merchandise, remaining for many years a leading business man of that place.
John E. Hugg remained at home until he reached the age of seventeen years, during which period the public schools afforded him his early educational privileges, after which he attended St. Louis University, a Jesuit college. When he left Missouri he journeyed westward to Westpoint, Nebraska, where he took up his abode and engaged in clerking for a number of years. In 1890 he arrived in Humphrey, where he turned his attention to the lumber business, becoming a partner in the Hunker Brothers Company, of which he was a member for fourteen years. He then sold out and in 1906 took charge of the First National Bank of Humphrey as its cashier, in which capacity he has since served, making a most creditable record by his capable and wise conduct of the interests of that institution. He also organized the electric light and power company and is interested in the telephone company.
22PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY
His foresight has enabled him to recognize opportunities, while his ambition has prompted their utilization to successful ends.
On the 3d of February, 1893, Mr. Hugg was united in marriage to Miss Mary Hunker, a daughter of Henry and Catharine (Rocker) Hunker, both of whom were natives of Germany, and on coming to America forty-five years ago settled in St. Charles, Missouri. They afterward became residents of Westpoint, Nebraska, where they have now lived for forty years. For an extended period the father engaged in the lumber business and he has been an official, either president or vice president, of banks of Westpoint and of Humphrey, but is now living retired, enjoying a rest which he has truly earned and richly deserves, his labors having brought to him substantial success. To Mr. and Mrs. Hugg has been born a daughter, Camilla, whose natal day was July 3, 1895, and who was graduated from the high school with the class of 1912.
The parents are members of St. Francis Catholic Church of Humphrey and Mr. Hugg is also identified with the Knights of Columbus and with the Catholic Order of Foresters, both of Humphrey. In community affairs he has taken a most active and helpful interest. He was the first chief of the fire department and was instrumental in securing the waterworks for the town. In fact, he has been a leader in all the movements which have resulted beneficially to the community and his worth as a public-spirited citizen is widely acknowledged. He is working all the time for the interests of the town and has stimulated civic virtue and civic pride. There is perhaps no one who has done more for Humphrey or who deserves wider recognition as a valued public citizen and progressive business man.
REV. FLORENTIUS KURZER.
Rev. Florentius Kurzer, pastor of St. Francis Catholic church at Humphrey, was born in Sausdorf, Silesia, Austria, December 18, 1857, a son of Joseph and Hedwig (Koenig) Kurzer, who were also natives of the same place. The father was a blacksmith by trade and lived and died in Austria, passing away in 1897, after surviving his wife for twenty years.
Father Kurzer acquired his early education in a monastery at Annaberg, Prussia, and afterward went to Warendorf, Westphalia, and joined the Franciscan Fathers in 1874. Coming to America, he made his way to Effingham county, Illinois, and continued his studies at Teutopolis, where he remained until 1878. He then went to Quincy, Illinois, where he studied philosophy in the Franciscan monastery. The year 1880 found him in St. Louis, Missouri, where for three years he studied theology. He was then ordained to the priesthood in 1882 but continued his studies for a year thereafter, and in 1883 returned to Teutopolis, Illinois, where he became pastor of the Altamont and St. Elmo parishes, there continuing until 1887. He next went to Minnesota, having been assigned for pastoral duty to the Chanhassen church, with which he was actively connected until 1894.
Father Kurzer then took charge of the parish at St. Bernard, Nebraska, where he continued until 1899, when he entered upon his labors in connection with the St. Francis church at Humphrey. Here he has remained continuously since, save for the years 1909 and 1910, which he spent in Quincy, Illinois, as pastor of St.
REV. FLORENTIUS KURZER
25PAST AND PRESENT OF PLATTE COUNTY
Francis church. Under his direction the parochial school was built in Humphrey in 1905, and now has an attendance of two hundred and eighty pupils. The school has eight grades, together with a commercial course, and annual commencement exercises are held. There are two hundred and fifty families represented in the church and the work of the church is in excellent condition. The new monastery was built in 1912, and the church property is now attractive and valuable. St. Francis has the largest congregation in Nebraska, outside of Omaha, and the house of worship is a magnificent structure. Under the guidance of Rev. Florentius Kurzer the church work is proving a far-reaching influence in the moral development and progress of this part of the state. He is a man of scholarly attainments, wisely directing the interests of his people in temporal as well as in spiritual ways.
The name Becker is one of the oldest and most prominent in the history of Columbus and members of the family have been identified with the business interests of the city from the time of the organization of the town to the present, a brother of our subject, John P. Becker, being one of the original colony, composed of thirteen members, who founded the city of Columbus. William Becker was born in Columbus, Ohio, July 20, 1842, a son of George Philip and Elizabeth Rebecca (Weis) Becker, both of whom were natives of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, the former born in 1804. They were married in the land of their nativity, whence they emigrated to the new world in 1833 and located at Columbus, Ohio, where they reared their family and spent their remaining days, the father passing away in 1853, while the mother, surviving for many years, departed this life in 1888. Their family included John P. Becker, who, as above stated, was one of thirteen men who came westward from Columbus, Ohio, and founded the town of Columbus, Nebraska, and for many years thereafter he was identified with the various business and public interests of this city and county.
William Becker spent the period of his boyhood and youth in the city of his nativity and there completed his education in the public schools. After he had attained his majority, on the 6th of March, 1863, he left his home in the east and came to Columbus, Nebraska, to join his brother John P., and with the exception of three years spent in Omaha and St. Louis, he has been a continuous resident here. Soon after his arrival he embarked in the shoe business and later formed a partnership with his brother for the conduct of a grocery and the handling of grain. He subsequently engaged in the grocery business alone for three or four years. In April, 1893, he was elected city clerk of Columbus, and through reelection has continuously filled the office since that time. His long retention in the position is the best evidence of his efficiency and the satisfaction with which he is serving the general public.
On the 19th of November, 1874, in this city, Mr. Becker was married to Miss Sophia E. Reese, a daughter of Henry Reese, who was born in Hanover, Germany. Their children are Anna Elizabeth, Carl Albert and Paul Arthur.
In politics Mr. Becker is a democrat. He has never filled any public office with the exception of the one in which he is now serving. He is a member of the
Return to the IndexContinue to next page
© 1997, 1998 Ted & Carole Miller
and 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project