The annals of world history are filled with many dates. Some of them are important; they mark the major conquests and catastrophies (sic) the red-letter-days of all the human tribe. So it is with individuals. Each year stoops under its burden of grief-filled memorials or rises buoyantly to meet the challenge of anniversaries and celebrations. All of us, at some time, unbind our hearts that we might remember the joy, the fear or anguish of the past . . . that we might recapture the precise mood of one brief, vital moment in our lives.
Biography is a cold word. But here, in this chapter, we will find it kindled by the warm, human details of mankind. Old comrades, neighbors, teachers, sweethearts and kinfolk wrote these lines.
This is what Shakespeare must have meant when he said:
"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts .”
Platte County, in its time, has served as the stage for many portrayers of courage and vision. Whether they were the early, hardy pioneers of a raw frontier or whether they stormed the complex barriers of modern economy, they have played out their roles against the solid backdrop of our American middle west. Even in the shadows of this chronicle, where we pause to remember names and faces that have passed, there shall be no sadness. This much the living owe the dead that they expand their good work; honor their good deeds and hold in trust the spiritual good they left behind them.
Shakespeare called them "players." Here, as we trace over the circumstances that embellished their lives, we may once again, for a brief while, be privileged to watch them and applaud.
Paul Abegglen was born December 12, 1897, in Columbus. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Abegglen of Columbus. His father was born in Switzerland and came to Platte County about 1882; he died in December, 1944. His mother, the daughter of Frederick and Sylvia Fritche Krause, came from Saxony, Germany, and died in April, 1924, in Columbus.
Paul Abegglen received his education in the Columbus schools. In 1920 he was married to Stella Poesch, daughter of William and Minnie Scheuman Poesch of Columbus. Mrs. Abegglen was born October 16, 1898, and attended the Columbus schools. She died March 6, 1941, in Columbus.
In 1917, Mr. Abegglen went to work for Swift & Company. From 1930-1944 he owned and managed Paul's Meat Market at 2718 Thirteenth Street, in Columbus, and in 1944 he retired.
Paul and Stella Poesch Abegglen had two sons, Paul, Jr. and Gene.
Paul, Jr., born September 7, 1921, graduated from Kramer High School in 1939 and attended the University of Nebraska. In World War II, he enlisted in the United States Air Force in June, 1942, and served in the European, African, and Asiatic Theatres of war. He was discharged January 2, 1946. On June 27, 1947, he was married to Polly Trowbridge, daughter of Forrest Trowbridge, of David City, Nebraska. They have one daughter, Kristen Ann, born April 27, 1948. In 1946, Paul Abegglen, Jr. entered the employ of the Columbus Bank, and is an assistant cashier.
Gene, born October 29, 1922, graduated from Kramer High School in 1941. He entered the United States Army in January, 1943, and served in the European-African Theatres. He was discharged in December, 1945. On June 2, 1946, he was married to Miss Evelyn Schmid, daughter of Walter and Alvina Went Schmid, of Richland, Nebraska. Gene attended the University of Nebraska.
Paul Abegglen, Sr. is a member of the Izaak Walton League, of which he has been state vice-president, state director and local president. He was Boy Scout executive of Platte County in 1930. His hobbies are fishing, hunting and golfing, and he is a Republican. He attends the First Church of Christian Science.
Henry W. Abts, son of John P. and Elizabeth Greenhack Abts, natives of Germany, was born on September 4, 1863, at Cassville, Wisconsin.
In 1870, at the age of seven, he, his parents, brothers and sisters came to Cedar County, Nebraska, in a covered wagon. Enroute west, they crossed the Missouri River at Sioux City, Iowa, by ferry. His father homesteaded a quarter section of land in Cedar County, and built a sod house for his family. They stayed there for six years. Then, believing there was more opportunity in the far West, they sold their homestead and joined a covered wagon train made up of nineteen wagons, bound for California. After starting west, they encountered such heavy rains, mud and cold that by the time the wagon train reached Columbus, the Abts family, weary of travel, decided to leave the train.
Mr. Abts rented a farm south of Columbus, where they established their home, in 1876.
John P. and Elizabeth Greenhack Abts had eight sons and three daughters. Besides Henry W., they. included: Margaret, Odelia, William, Michael P., Christian C., Arnold, Elizabeth, John, Joseph, and Walter. All of the above are deceased except Christian C., who lives in Columbus.
Henry W. Abts remained on the farm with his father until 1882, when he came into Columbus and started a draying business, which he operated for five years.
On October 26, 1887, at the St. Bonaventure Church in Columbus, he married Mary Ann Hinkelman, daughter of John and Marie Mueller Hinkelman, natives of Austria. Mary Ann came to the United States at the age of sixteen, and stayed with her uncle, Frank Mueller. Her brother, John Hinkelman, later came to Columbus, where he married Maria Witka, and operated the Hinkelman Variety Store for several years.
Henry W. and Mary Hinkelman Abts had seven children: Matt C., born in Columbus, May 23, 1889, married Irene Xanders, daughter of Reverend and Mrs. W. H. Xanders. Reverend Xanders was a former pastor of the Grace Episcopal Church in Columbus; Elizabeth died July 8, 1900; Clara married Doctor Arthur J. Offerman, of Omaha, in 1918; John Paul, known as Jack, born June 21, 1895, and died during World War I, on October 4, 1918, at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station; Mary, Mrs. Raymond L. Dodendorf, lives in Columbus; Henry W., Jr., born February 23, 1900, is married and lives in Los Angeles, California; Dorothea is Mrs. William Xanders of Omaha, Nebraska.
On December 31, 1887, H. W. Abts formed a partnership with M. C. Calto. They engaged first in the coal, hay, and sand business, and then, in 1891, changed to a wholesale enterprise handling salt and oil, later enlarged to include wholesale groceries. The partnership of Abts and Calto continued for twenty-two years,
The History of Platte County Nebraska
until 1909, when Mr. Abts purchased Mr. Calto's interest, and renamed the business the H. W. Abts Wholesale Grocery Company. The H. W. Abts family then comprised the company, with H. W. Abts as president; Mrs. Abts, vice-president; Matthew C., treasurer; and Clara C., secretary. They carried on an extensive business in this territory for the next fifteen years.
In 1925, the H. W. Abts Wholesale Grocery was sold to the Nash-Dietz Company, a branch of the Nash-Finch Company, who have since operated the business at the former location, 2314 Thirteenth Street.
In 1925, Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Abts moved to Seattle, Washington, where they operated a food market and delicatessen for two years, and then moved to California, where they conducted the same business, in Oakland.
In 1931, they returned to Nebraska, and located in Omaha, where they celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary, October 26, 1937.
During the time they lived in Columbus, Mr. and Mrs. Abts were members of St. Bonaventure Catholic Church. They presented many generous gifts to the church, among which are the communion rail and sanctuary lamp in the St. Bonaventure Church, and the main altar and statues in St. Anthony's Church.
Mr. Abts was a member of the local Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Knights of America, and the Foresters.
Henry W. Abts died April 5, 1939, and Mrs. Abts died December 19, 1943. Both were buried in St. Bonaventure's Cemetery, in Columbus.
Doctor Arthur W. Abts, the son of Anthony J. and Christine Lange Abts, was born at Randolph, Nebraska, on March 4, He attended the St. Francis Parochial School, at Randolph, and was graduated in 1923.
He then enrolled at the Creighton University in Omaha, where he was graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree. Following that, he entered the Creighton Medical School and received his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1931. While at the University, he was affiliated with the Phi Beta Pi Fraternity.
From 1931-1932, he served an internship at St. Joseph's Hospital, in Omaha.
Doctor Abts practiced in Humboldt, Nebraska, during 1932 and 1933. In June, 1933, he moved to Humphrey, where he established a practice. He is on the staffs of the Columbus Lutheran, St. Mary's and Norfolk Hospitals.
On June 18, 1934, in Humphrey, Doctor Arthur W. Abts was married to Frances Reinhart. They have three sons: Ronald Lee; Arthur W. Jr.; and Thomas, all born in Humphrey.
Mrs. Abts studied nursing and is a registered nurse. She is also an accomplished musician and plays both the piano and the organ.
Doctor Abts was active in 4-H Club health work in Humphrey. He is a past director of the American Red Cross First Aid Unit. He is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Association, and The Platte County Medical Association.
The doctor's hobbies are fishing and athletics. Doctor Arthur W. Abts is a member of the Lions Club and the St. Francis Catholic Church in Humphrey. Politically, he is affiliated with the Democratic Party.
Thomas Watson Adams, Jr., son of Thomas Watson and Adelia Lyon Adams, was born August 6, 1863, in Dowagiac, Michigan, and died in April, 1941, in Columbus. His father, a merchant, was born March 6, 1832, in Buffalo, New York. His mother was born April 15, 1832, in Catherine, New York. Both parents moved from New York to Dowagiac, Michigan. They died there.
Thomas W. Adams, Jr., attended school in Dowagiac. He came to Platte County in March, 1888, from Niles, Michigan.
On August 6, 1884, in Dowagiac, Mr. Adams was married to Addie Hendryx, the daughter of Horatio Jay and Ada Lucinda Hendryx. Mr. Hendryx, a merchant, was born December 20, 1830, at Yates, Orleans County, New York, and died in Kearney, Nebraska. Mrs. Hendryx was born August 25, 1830, at Antwerp, Jefferson County, New York, and died in Columbus. Addie Hendryx Adams had one brother and one sister: Lillian Adel, the wife of Clarence Barter; and Louis Jay, married to Harriett Thurston.
Thomas and Addie Adams had one son and two daughters: Lillian Adelia, born May 9, 1886, at Niles, Michigan, is the wife of W. E. Post, of Los Angeles, California; Horatio Hendryx, born November 15, 1889, at Oconee, Nebraska; and Marcia Mallory, born November 1, 1905, in Columbus. They all attended the Columbus schools and were graduated from Columbus High School. Lillian was a teacher previous to her marriage. W. E. and Lillian Post had four children, two sons and two daughters. Horatio is a clothing merchant in Columbus, and Marcia manages the Adams Cafe, which was started by her father.
In Columbus, Thomas Adams spent many years in the hotel and restaurant business. He owned and managed the Clother Hotel and founded the Adams Cafe. He had been engaged also as a farmer and a salesman. Politically, he was affiliated with the Democratic Party.
Mr. and Mrs. Adams were members of the Grace Episcopal Church in Columbus.
Horatio Hendryx Adams, son of Thomas Watson and Addie Hendryx Adams, was born November 15, 1889, at Oconee, Nebraska. His father, a restaurant and hotel owner and manager in Columbus, also a farmer, was born August 6, 1863, in Dowagiac, Michigan, came to Platte County in 1888, and died in Columbus. His mother was born in Ceresco, Michigan, November 11, 1865, and died in Columbus in March, 1950. Horatio had two sisters: Lillian is the wife of W. E. Post, of Los Angeles, California; and Marcia is
the manager of the Adams Cafe, which their father started.
Horatio lived with his parents at Oconee, Monroe, and Columbus. He attended school in Monroe and Columbus and was graduated from the Columbus High School. He was a member of the first Columbus High School football team.
Mr. Adams has been in the men's clothing and tailoring business since he was eighteen years old. He worked in many phases of it: retail, traveling salesman, tailoring, and is interested in everything pertaining to the business.
He also owned and operated the Toggery Cleaners, and has been interested in the Adams Cafe.
Horatio Hendryx was twice married. His first wife was Marian Kinney, of Whitewater, Wisconsin. His second wife was Margaret Schumacher Boyle, a native of Platte County.
Horatio and Marian Kinney Adams had two daughters: Daphne Jane, born in Columbus, and Patricia Jane, also born in Columbus. Both girls attended Columbus and California public schools. Daphne Jane was graduated from Kramer High School and has been a saleslady in the ladies' finest ready-to-wear shops in the country, including North Platte, Chicago, New York, Miami, Florida, and Los Angeles. During World War II, she enlisted in the United States Navy and was commissioned an officer in the Waves. Patricia, Mrs. Solinger, studied voice training for ten years. She sang in churches in Santa Monica, California. Mrs. Solinger has one daughter.
Horatio Adams has three step-children, two sons and a daughter, the children of Margaret Boyle Adams, Carroll Boyle of North Platte, Nebraska, married to Imogene Henn; Phyllis, the wife of Doctor C. Brambaugh of Lincoln; and Marvin of Columbus.
Mr. Adams is a member of the United Commercial Travelers, the Rotary Club, a past president of the Columbus Chamber of Commerce, and was one of the founders of the Columbus Credit Bureau. He was twice president of the Mid-Nebraska Exposition Board.
His hobbies are football, traveling by automobile, and reading. He is a former member of the Episcopal Church. And politically, he is affiliated with the Democratic Party.
Nick Adamy, Sr., son of Mr. and Mrs. George Adamy, natives of Germany, was born in Ettelburk, Luxemburg, Germany, October 14, 1849. He had five brothers and one sister: Elizabeth, Dominic, John, Mike, Nicholas, and Denny.
Nick Adamy's parents died when he was a young boy, but he remained in Germany until he finished his schooling. At the age of twenty-one, in 1870, he and his brother, Nicholas, immigrated to the United States. On arriving here, the brothers first went to Mason City, Illinois, where they farmed for nearly three years. In 1873, they moved to Platte County to join their brother, John, who was engaged in farming on his homestead, eleven miles north of Columbus.
Nick and Nicholas each homesteaded eighty acres of land near John's homestead, in Sherman Township, and together the Adamy brothers made their home in a small sod house. A few months after their arrival, John died, leaving his homestead to Nick and Nicholas.
On April 4, 1875, at St. Patrick's Church on Shell Creek, Nick Adamy married Catherine Wagner, daughter of George and Mary Wagner. The ceremony was performed by Father James Ryan, the early day Catholic Mission priest.
Mrs. Adamy was born October 4, 1853, in Alsace Lorraine, France, where her father was a mill owner. She had three sisters: Magdelena, married to George Henggler; Mary, Mrs. Liebig; and one sister who became a nun.
When Catherine Wagner was eighteen, she came to the United States. She arrived in Platte County in 1871, where she joined her sisters, Mary and Magdalena.
After their marriage, Nick and Catherine Wagner Adamy settled on the Adamy homestead, and lived in the sod house. They had five sons and one daughter: Richard, John, Frank, George, Nick, Jr., and Mary, now Mrs. Otto Hembd.
The Adamys experienced the hardships of early farm life in Nebraska, but prosperous years followed for them. They acquired considerable land and other wealth, and early improved the original homestead until it was one of the finest farms in that section of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Nick Adamy, and Nicholas Adamy continued to make their home together until death parted them. The two brothers farmed in partnership and gradually acquired more land until, in 1932, they owned 1320 acres in Sherman Township.
In 1915, Mr. and Mrs. Adamy retired from active farm life and moved into Columbus. They were members of the Shell Creek Catholic Church, and upon its removal to Platte Center, they joined the St. Bonaventure Church, in Columbus.
Mrs. Adamy died December 6, 1931, and Nick Adamy died July 23, 1932.
Richard D. Adamy, son of Nick, Sr. and Catherine Wagner Adamy, was born March 3, 1877, in Sherman Township, on the Adamy farm. His father homesteaded in Sherman Township in 1873.
Richard Adamy has four brothers and one sister: George, Frank, John, Nick, Jr., and Mrs. Mary Adamy Hembd. Mr. Adamy spent many years on the Adamy farm, north of Columbus. He attended the District 77 School. One day, at that time, on their way home from school, during a heavy rainstorm, two friends, the Belford children, were drowned when they missed a bridge. Mary and Richard Adamy and the rest of the children then found refuge at the Buss home, near the school,
On September 4, 1900, at Columbus, Richard Adamy
The History of Platte County Nebraska
married Louise B. Schroeder, daughter of Louis, Sr. and Amelia Lachnit Schroeder. Mr. Schroeder, a contractor and one of the first band members of Columbus, and Humphrey, was born at Weimar, Saxony, Germany, May 7, 1858, and died December 6, 1939, in Columbus. Mrs. Schroeder was born in Neustad, Austria, April 25, 1860, and died April 18, 1920, in Columbus.
Louise Schroeder Adamy has four sisters and three brothers: Clara, Mrs. E. T. Miessler, of Columbus; Mrs. Frances Schroeder Phillips, of Omaha; Mayme, Mrs. C. R. Herdener and Helen, Mrs. E. T. O'Grady, both of Buenos Aires, South America; William, of Columbus; Ferd, of Omaha; and Alfred "Jack," of Kearney, Nebraska. Another brother, Louis, Jr., died in Columbus, May 15, 1942.
Richard D. and Louise Schroeder Adamy have four children: Leo, born July 16, 1904; Lorene, now Mrs. Mohrman; L. Vera, also Mrs. Mohrman; Lucille, Mrs. Clarence Schwind, died January 22, 1947, in Perrysburg, Ohio.
The Adamy children attended school at District 77 and St. Bonaventure's School. Mr. and Mrs. Richard Adamy are members of St. Bonaventure's Catholic Church in Columbus.
Four generations of Adamys have lived on the same farm in Sherman Township, since 1873. They are: Mr. and Mrs. Nick Adamy, Sr. and family; Mr. and Mrs. R. D. Adamy and family; and Mr. and Mrs. Leo Adamy and their children.
Frank Aerni, Sr., son of Alois and Elizabeth Stempfly Aerni, natives of Switzerland, was born in Canton Solothurn, Switzerland, January 6, 1846. His father, a farmer, served the required time in the Swiss Military Service. The family were members of the Catholic Church.
Frank Aerni, Sr. received a common school education there, and learned the cheese-making trade. He also served in the Swiss Army.
In 1870, he married Magdalena Christian, and they had six children, all born in Canton Solothurn, Switzerland. They are: Mary, Mrs. Jack Lannan, of Columbus, Nebraska; Elizabeth, deceased; Albert and Frank, Jr., twins, of Columbus; Lydia, Mrs. Edward Eiseman, of Platte County; and Frieda, formerly of Columbus, later lived with her nephew, Phil Lannan, at West Point, Nebraska. Mrs. Aerni died in Canton Solothurn, in 1879.
In the early 1880's, Frank Aerni, Sr. married Rosina Eckert, born in Utzendorf, Switzerland, December 23, 1862. They remained in Switzerland, where he was employed as a cheese-maker, until his thirty-eighth year. Then he and his family immigrated to America on the ship, Helvetia, on its last voyage.
Upon their arrival in America, May 9, 1884, they came directly to Platte County, and located in Columbus Township.
Frank and Rosina Eckert Aerni had four children: Emma, Mrs. Charles Godel of Columbus, now deceased; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Godel had three children: Mrs. Robert Dolan, deceased; Alvin, of near Platte Center; and Arlene, who worked in the office of the I. C. Wolfe Roofing Company, in Columbus. Jacob Aerni married Lenora Gragert, now deceased. They had one daughter, Loretta, now Mrs. Walter Luchsinger, of Columbus. Arthur Aerni also lives in Columbus, and Clara Aerni was formerly a chiropractor there.
Rosina Eckert Aerni died on June 23, 1912, and in 1913, Frank Aerni married Mrs. Mari Eckley, a native of Switzerland. The Aerni family were members of the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Columbus.
Mr. Aerni was active in the management of his farm until his death in January, 1942, at the age of ninety-six.
Albert Aerni was born in Canton Solothurn, Switzerland, on September 8, 1874, the son of Frank, Sr. and Magdalena Christian Aerni, both natives of Switzerland. Albert came to America with his father and step-mother, in 1884. The Aerni home was in Columbus Township, where Albert attended the District 1, suburban school, which is now District 80, and the District 10 School. He worked on the farm with his father, and later bought a farm in Section 4, Columbus Township.
On June 16, 1904, he married Louise Mueller, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Mueller. Mr. Mueller was born in Hanover, Germany, and his wife Magdalena Karlin was born in Russia, near the German border.
Louise Mueller Aerni has three brothers and six sisters. Adolph Mueller married Mary Schutt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Schutt. He is now deceased, and Mrs. Mueller lives in Columbus. Carl married Lillian Kirtman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August Kirtman, and they live in Columbus. Albert married Stella Held, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Held. Martha is the wife of Frank Aerni, twin brother of Albert. Emma is Mrs. Edwin Ahrens; Anna is Mrs. Edward Ahrens; Minnie is married to Alfred Berchtold; Rose is Mrs. Otto Held; and Magdalen is Mrs. Fred Egger.
Albert and Louise Mueller Aerni had three sons, Albert, Jr., Frederick, and Carl. They attended the District 80 School and the Immanuel Lutheran Parochial School in Columbus, and are all electricians. Albert, Jr. married Florence Tschauner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Tschauner, deceased. They had. three children: Anita Mae, born December 31, 1941, died January 3, 1942; Albert, III, born December 23, 1942; and Ralph, born August 21, 1944. Albert Aerni, Jr. is employed at the Loup River Public Power District. Frederick Aerni married Lucille Lutz, daughter of Albert and Mary Newman Lutz. They had two children: Frederick, Jr., born February 4, 1936, and Larry, born November 14, 1938. Carl Aerni married Lois Kuklish, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Kuklish, on February 14, 1946. Carl was in government service in 1941. He enlisted in the United States Navy
on August 25, 1942, and served until May, 1945. During that time, he was stationed in hospitals at Guadalcanaland New Zealand, where he served on active duty.
Orville Allen Gertsch Aerni, son of Carl and Louise Wills Gertsch, deceased, has made his home with Mr. and Mrs. Albert Aerni since 1930. He was born April 27, 1929, attended the Columbus grade schools and was graduated from Kramer High School. He enlisted in the United States Army in 1946, and served in Korea.
Judge I. L. Albert, son of Daniel and Barbara Kephart Albert, natives of Clearfield County, was born December 28, 1856, in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and died in Columbus, Nebraska, August 5, 1927. The ancestry of the Albert family comes from Saxony, a province of Germany, whence they first immigrated to America. There were both maternal and paternal ancestors in the Continental Army, during the Revolutionary War. On his maternal side, he comes from a family of clergymen.
After the death of his father, in 1876, I. L. Albert moved with his mother, brothers and sisters to Western Iowa. Here, he alternately taught school and attended college. While teaching, he studied law, passed the bar examination, and was admitted to practice in 1881, though he continued to study in college after that time, and was graduated from the Leander Clark College, in Toledo, Iowa, in 1884. He taught one year in Akron, Ohio and in 1885 started a law practice in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
In 1887, he moved to Nebraska, locating at Albion, in Boone County, where he attained a high standing in his profession. After a few months in Bellingham, Washington, he returned to Nebraska and located in Columbus in 1889.
He served Platte County as County Attorney from 1891-1893.. In 1898, he was appointed to serve the unexpired term of Judge Marshall, who was the District Judge in the Sixth Judicial District. In March, 1901, he was appointed a member of the State Supreme Court Commission, in which capacity he served nearly four years. He twice represented his home District in the State Senate, being elected in 1911 and 1917. In 1919-1920, he was a member of the State Constitutional Convention, where he played an important part in the forming of Nebraska's new Constitution.
I. L. Albert practiced thirty-eight years in Columbus. His first law partnership from 1889-189 i was with Judge J. D. Stires. From 1891-1901 Judge I. L. Albert was associated in the law firm of Reeder and Albert. The firm was dissolved when Mr. Albert was called to serve on the State Supreme Court Commission. In 1905, he formed a law partnership with August Wagner, known as Albert and Wagner, which continued until 1927. From 1897-1927, I. L. Albert was numbered among the leaders in the councils of the Democratic Party in Columbus, Platte County, and Nebraska.
He was the author of two laws: The Nebraska Bank Guarantee Law and what is known as the Albert Law for the Suppression of Vice. His name is connected with other legislative measures which found their way to the Statute Books from 1911-1915.
Judge I. L. Albert was twice married. In May, 1886, in Lemars, Iowa, he married Mary Meldrum, who died in Columbus, June 7, 1899. They had four children: Daniel, born in Iowa, moved to Nebraska with his parents in 1887, attended the Columbus schools, and died in Columbus, in 1907, before his twenty-first birthday; Robert, born in Albion, Nebraska, attended the Columbus schools and was graduated from the Columbus High School and Valparaiso University in Indiana, as a Mechanical Engineer. He married Jeanne Shields, and they had two sons: Robert, Jr., born in 1919; and Daniel, III, born in 1923; Fred C. Albert, born in Columbus, married Evelyn Pittman, and they lived in Columbus; Mary, born in Columbus, was graduated from Columbus High School and married Doctor Gordon L. McGuffin. They live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and have two children. Gordon McGuffin, Jr. was in the Canadian Army, during World War II.
On February 11, 1902, Judge Albert was married to Jean Bruce Powley, of Toronto, Canada, in Columbus. They had three children: Warren, an attorney, married Dora Cunningham; Ruth, the wife of Phil R. Hockenberger; Clearfield Bruce married Jean Goodwin. He was graduated from Columbus High School and attended the University of Nebraska, where he studied engineering. During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps.
The Daily Telegram in 1927 wrote of Judge I. L. Albert: "Endowed with an exceptionally keen mind, possessed of a profound knowledge of the law, fearless always in standing for his convictions upon any question, yet ever considerate of the opinions of others; an interesting conversationalist, clever, witty, generous to a fault, and quick in sympathy for his fellow man, Judge Albert was at once a leader in every activity in which he took an interest, and a charming companion and friend."
Fred Craig Albert, son of Judge I. L. and Mary Meldrum Albert, was born in Columbus, Nebraska, September 28, 1890. His father, a leading Nebraska attorney, was born in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, December 28, 1856, and died in Columbus, August 5, 1927. His mother was born in Ontario, Canada, June 12, 1861, and died in Columbus, June 7, 1899.
Fred attended the Columbus schools, and was graduated from the Columbus High School in 1908. During the summer of 1908, he was enrolled at the Columbus Commercial College, where he took a course in shorthand and typing. In the fall of 1908, he entered the United States Reclamation Service and was located for a year on the Interstate Project, at Mitchell, Nebraska. From 1909-1910, he worked with J. G. White and Company, an engineering firm of Richfield, Idaho, in the construction of the Wood River Irrigation Project.
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller