The History of Platte County Nebraska
born September 24, 1813, at Uithuizen, Holland, and his grandmother was born there October 6, 1818, and died there October 22, 1861 His grandfather was a dairy farmer.
Nickolas Van Dyke came from Holland with an aunt when a small boy and made his home with relatives at McHenry, Illinois, until his marriage there to Marian Klassen on January 30, 1879. He and his wife then came to Nebraska and settled near Humphrey. They had a family of thirteen children.
Katheryn, Mrs. Stenger; John; Thomas; Nickolas, Jr.; Gertrude, Mrs. Boos; Paul; Mary, Mrs. Stoffel; Peter; Frances; Johanna; Sister M. Sylvia, O.F.S.; and two daughters who died in infancy.
Thomas Van Dyke received his formal education at School District 66, and St. Francis School in Humphrey. Following this he lived in Granville Township where he has been engaged in farming and stock raising. He raises Poland China hogs and shorthorn cattle.
On January 14, 1908, at Humphrey, Nebraska, Thomas Van Dyke was married to Miss Elizabeth Eckholt, the daughter of Bernard and Sophia Roth Eckholt, natives of Germany. Mrs. Van Dyke was born in Wisconsin and came to Platte County with her parents.
Thomas Van Dyke has been active in public affairs and has served with the A.A.A. on their work programs for nine years. Politically Mr. Van Dyke is affiliated with the Democratic party. He is a member of St. Francis Catholic Church at Humphrey.
Gustavus W. Viergutz, the son of August Carl and Wilhelmine Krueger Viérgutz, was born in Germany on December 31, 1868, and died in Columbus, Nebraska, on May 21, 1940. His parents brought him to the United States in 1871, when he was two years old, and the family located in Milwaukee. In 1876, they moved to Nebraska and located on a farm in Polk County. Gustavus W. had three brothers and two sisters: Anna Helene, who died on November 25, 1944, in Columbus; Mrs. Carl Korte, of Columbus, deceased; Robert and Ernst of Columbus; William, of Polk County.
Gustavus attended the rural schools in Polk County and came to Columbus in 1888, continuing his studies here for one year. In Columbus, he learned the carpenter's trade and followed that occupation as a contractor and bridge builder until 1898.
In 1898, he entered the employ of G. A. Hoagland, a lumber merchant, and remained with that company for the next ten years.
In 1908, he formed a partnership with J. F. Berney in the lumber business. He later acquired sole ownership of the company and was actively engaged in management of the business until 1940. Besides the Viergutz Lumber Company in Columbus, he bought a lumber yard at Platte Center in 1923, and in 1928, he added the lumber yard in Creston to his holdings.
He was a director and stockholder of the Commercial National Bank.
On May 1, 1906, he was elected a member of the board of directors of the Columbus Land, Loan, and Building Association. He was elected vice-president of the board on May 11, 1909, and was elected president on July 23, 1926, which office he retained until 1940.
Gustavus W. Viergutz was married in Columbus in the early 1890's*
Mr. and Mrs. Vicrgutz had three sons and two daughters: Walter, Arthur, Vera, Gustavus Jr., and Alva. G. W., Jr., of Columbus married Eleanor Glur and they had **one son and two daughters; Vera is the wife of C. F. Herrguth, of Columbus; H. Arthur, of Omaha, is married to Henrietta Rodehorst, and they have two daughters; Alva, Mrs. M. T. McMahon, Jr., lives in Dayton, Ohio; and Walter, born September 1, 1892, was married to Marie Gossard, at Des Moines, Iowa, and died on October 10, 1918, at Camp Dodge, Iowa.
Gustavus Viergutz held membership in the Columbus Chamber of Commerce and in the Wayside Country Club. He belonged to the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Columbus.
* Handwritten: to Anna Hunneman.
* * Overwritten: three daughters;
Marcus Vogel, born September 2!, 1852, in Kurzel Amt Lehar, Baden, Germany. He learned the baker's trade during his boyhood there and immigrated to America in 1872, at the age of twenty. He first found employment in a bakery in Cincinnati, Ohio: Three years later, he went to Indianapolis, Indiana.
On November 23, 1875, at Indianapolis, Marcus Vogel was married to Katherine Dietlinger. Mrs. Vogel was born at St. Anne, Indiana, on April 7, 1850. There she received her education and grew to young womanhood. From St. Anne, she moved to Lebanon, where she met Mr. Vogel.
Mr. and Mrs. Vogel had two children: Anton M. and Catherine, Mrs. Anton Moschenross, of Columbus. Their grandchildren are Anton Vogel, III; Catherine, Elmer, Harry, Martha, Leo, Arthur, Amelia and Evelyn Moschenross.
Shortly after their wedding, the Vogels moved to Lebanon, where Mr. Vogel operated a bakery of his own for three years.
In 1878, they moved to Columbus, and Marcus Vogel established a bakery on Eleventh Street. He conducted this business for twenty years, and retired from his bakery in 1898. This bakery was then operated by his brother, Anton. Anton Vogel sold the business to J. H. Imig and it was later bought by Albert Gloor.
Due to their thrift and industry, and to wise investments in Columbus real estate, the Vogels amassed a large estate.
Mr. and Mrs. Vogel were members of St. Bonaventure's Catholic Church. Marcus Vovel died on March 11, 1925, in Columbus. Mrs. Vogel died June 23, 1931.
Doctor Lorenzo C. Voss was born in Springfield, Indiana, on October 18, 1862, and died in Columbus on January 28, 1931. He had two brothers: T. S. Voss, of Millard, South Dakota; and Emery Voss, of Seattle, Washington.
Doctor Voss received his early education in Springfield, and then attended Park College, near Kansas City, Missouri, for three years. At Park College, he took his
premedical course and worked his way through college by part time employment in the office of a Kansas City physician, where he did the collecting and bookkeeping. He then attended the Homeopathic Medical College in St. Louis, Missouri, where he received his degree in 1888. After graduation, he practiced for a brief time in association with another physician in Atchison, Kansas.
While he was a student at Park College, he met Carrie Todd, of Holton, Kansas, who was also attending the same college. Doctor Voss was married to Miss Todd on October 29, 1891, in Holton.
Shortly after their marriage, Doctor and Mrs. Voss moved to Columbus, where he established a practice. During his first year there, he was associated with Doctor Miessler, a brother of the Reverend Herman Miessler.
Doctor Voss was an active member of the Nebraska Homeopathic Society for many years and served as its president. He was also a member of the Platte County Medical Society, of which he was president in 1924. He served one year as county physician of Platte County during the smallpox epidemic in 1902. Intent upon keeping abreast of the developments in his profession, it was his custom to take post graduate courses at Chicago at intervals of every two or three years.
Doctor Voss was a Presbyterian and attended the Federated Church in Columbus after its organization. He served both as an elder and treasurer in the Presbyterian Church prior to the time of its federation with the Congregational Church.
He was a member of the Royal Neighbors and the Modern Woodmen Lodges. Politically, Doctor Voss was affiliated with the Republican Party.
Theodore D. Wagner was born January 25, 1873, at Boscobel, Wisconsin. He came to Platte County June 1, 1873, with his parents, John and Mary Woolstenholme Wagner. John Wagner was born January 15, 1832, in Germany, and died March 26, 1901, at Creston, Nebraska. He was a carpenter, and was also in the furniture and undertaking business. Mary Woolstenholme Wagner was born March 27, 1836, in Wisconsin, and died February 1, 1916, at Creston. Theodore Wagner had five brothers and two sisters: Mary E., Louis E., John H., William F., Sarah E., Charles E., and George L.
Theodore Wagner attended school in Creston and Lincoln, Nebraska. After completing his schooling he was employed in a general store.
On August 30, 1905, at the Presbyterian Manse in Columbus, he was married to Cassie R. Barrett, the daughter of William and Roseanna Barrett. William Barrett, Sr., a farmer, was born February 12, 1838, in Ireland. He died October 20, 1916, at Creston. Roseanna Barrett was born April 8, 1850, at County Armagh, Ireland, and died September 12, 1928, at Creston. Mrs. Wagner had eight brothers and four sisters.
Mr. and Mrs. Theodore D. Wagner had four children: Faye Dorothy, born April 2, 1907, at Creston; Glenn Francis, born June 6, 1909, at Humphrey; Wilma Lois, born November 17, 1916, at Creston; and Stanley Theodore, born June 8, 1920, at Creston. Faye Dorothy died October 28, 1913, at Genoa, Nebraska. Glenn is married, has two children, and lives in Lincoln, where he is in business. Wilma is the wife of E. W. Hughes and they have one child, Virginia Lee; the Hughes' live in Wayne, Nebraska. Stanley served five years in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. After his discharge he went into business in Creston.
Theodore D. Wagner is a member of Modern Woodmen of America, and is treasurer of the Creston Town Board. He is an elder at the Presbyterian Church. Both Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Wagner are members of the Presbyterian Church.
August Wagner was born October 1, 1876, on a farm in Cuming County, Nebraska. He came to Platte County March 1, 1891, from West Point, Nebraska, with his parents, John and Kunegunda Irlbacher Wagner. Both parents were born in Bavaria, and died at Columbus, Nebraska. August Wagner had six brothers and three sisters: Joseph married to Ella Dahl; John; George, married to Ethel Wagner; Mary, the first wife of Bernard Otterpohl; Henry; Lewis; Anna; Celia, the wife of Ira E. Elliott; and William, married to Mamie Boyd, whose mother, Mrs. Boyd, was the first white girl born in Burt County, Nebraska.
August Wagner attended the public and parochial schools at St. Charles, Cuming County, where he spent his boyhood on the farm. He was graduated from the Columbus High School and the University of Nebraska College of Law, with a Bachelor of Laws Degree.
On July 19, 1905, he was married in Columbus to Pearl Elias, the daughter of Charles F. and Pauline Hansch Elias, natives of Saxony, Germany. Both Mr. and Mrs. Elias died in Columbus.
August and Pearl Elias Wagner had four children: Milton, born August 6, 1906; and Pearl Ruth, Pauline F., and Maxine Wagner. All were born in Columbus and were graduated from the Columbus High School. Milton, a lawyer, attended Notre Dame. Maxine, a stenographer, attended the University of Nebraska. Pearl R., a stenographer, attended the Nebraska Business College. Pauline owned and operated a floral and art shop in Columbus when sixteen years of age.
Pearl Ruth, Mrs. Dake, has a daughter, Mickey.
The History of Platte County Nebraska
Milton is married to Eleanore Stenger. Pauline is Mrs. Lueders, and Maxine is Mrs. Unthank.
August Wagner was admitted to the bar June 1, 1900, and then entered the law office of the Honorable A. M. Post, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Nebraska. On February 1, 1905, Mr. Wagner formed a partnership with the Honorable I. L. Albert, which continued until the latter's death in 1927. August Wagner practiced alone until 1929, when his son, Milton, joined him, the firm's name becoming Wagner & Wagner. August Wagner was elected Justice of the Peace in April, 1901, resigning that office the same year on being appointed as Referee in Bankruptcy for Platte, Boone, Madison, Butler, Colfax and Nance Counties. He held the latter office until 1916.
Mr. Wagner was one of the original promoters of the Loup River Public Power District and through his efforts helped to drive the power trusts out of Nebraska. Today Nebraska is the only state in the union in which the people own all of the generation and distribution facilities of electricity. As one of the early attorneys for the Loup River Public Power District, August Wagner had a large part in the construction of its hydro-electric plant and the creation of the Rural District now operating under the name of the Cornhusker Rural Public Power District, through which electricity has been available to most farmers. He made a contribution of five hundred dollars toward the Platte County rural electrification work in 1937.
August Wagner holds membership in the Nebraska State Bar Association and is an alumnus of the University of Nebraska. In 1898-1899, he served in the Philippines during the Spanish-American War and Filipino Insurrection, and at that time was with the first expedition that planted the United States flag on Wake Island. He participated in the capture and defense of Manila, with a total of twenty-nine battles and skirmishes. Later he was hospitalized there with typhoid. From 1904 to 1907, he was Captain of Company K, First Nebraska National Guard.
In 1910-1911, he was the Department Commander of the United Spanish War Veterans. He is a past Exalted Ruler of the Lodge 1195, B.P.O.E. (Elks), past president of the Platte County Bar Association, past president of Company K, Spanish War Veterans and World War I Veterans United. In politics he is a Democrat according to the Jacksonian principles. He originated and promoted the plan to vote on a permanent court house site through which the County court house was moved from Tenth Street and Washington Avenue in Columbus to its present location at Fourteenth Street and Twenty-sixth Avenue.
Through the years Mr. Wagner has traveled extensively in the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Philippine Islands, and Japan. His hobbies are fishing, hunting, and a social game of pinochle or poker. He does not enjoy being a spectator but prefers to participate in the play if the game is in his class. When August Wagner was graduated from the University of Nebraska College of Law, he owned an old Caligraph typewriting machine which was the first typewriter in a law office in Columbus. He was probably the third or fourth automobile owner in Columbus, and Mrs. Wagner was the first Platte County woman to drive a car.
Mr. and Mrs. August Wagner are members of the Grace Episcopal Church.
Milton Wagner, attorney-at-law, was born August 6, 1906, in Columbus. He is the son of August Wagner, also an attorney, born October 1, 1876, in Cuming County, Nebraska, and Pearl Elias Wagner, born November 15, 1883, in Columbus. Milton Wagner had three sisters: Pearl Ruth Wagner Dake, Pauline Fredericka, Mrs. Lueders, and Maxine Gertrude, Mrs. Unthank. He spent his boyhood in Columbus, attended grade school there and was graduated from the Columbus High School.
He studied law at Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana.
On December 12, 1927, he was married in Columbus to Eleanor Stenger, the daughter of Albert and Lina Steiner Stenger. Mr. Stenger, a farmer, was born in Alsace, France, in May, 1856, and died in Columbus December 11, 1944. Lina Steiner Stenger was born in Switzerland December 7, 1876, and died June 11, 1945, in Columbus. Eleanor Wagner had one brother, Alfred O. Stenger, and five sisters: Cecelia; Katherine, Mrs. Charnley; Madeline, Mrs. Chamberlain; Doris, Mrs. Keating; and Eugenia, Mrs. Wilson. Two other sisters, Marcella, Mrs. Mann, and Dolly Stenger, are deceased.
Milton and Eleanor Wagner have two children: Milton Judd, born in Columbus March 15, 1935; and Judith Ann, born in Columbus December 12, 1942. Both are enrolled in the Columbus schools. Judd attends Kramer High School, and Judy is in grade school.
Milton Wagner served on the Vestry of the Episcopal Church since 1945. He was county chairman of the Democratic Central Committee from 1942 to 1944, a member and past exalted ruler of the B.P.O.E. (Elks), and a former state president and Columbus president of the F.O.E. (Eagles). He also belongs to the Chamber of Commerce, and is active in civic affairs. Politically he is affiliated with the Democratic Party.
During World War II, from 1942 to 1946, Mr. Wagner served as chairman of the Platte County War Price and Ration Board and worked in Civilian Defense from 1941 to 1944. He was chairman of the Sailors Relief Society of Platte county in 1942-1943. Mr. and Mrs. Milton Wagner are members of the Grace Episcopal Church in Columbus.
Charles Wake was born March 16, 1826, at Rugby, in Yorkshire, England, and died in Columbus, Nebraska, February 13, 1910, at the age of eighty-four.
In England, he spent two years as an apprentice, learning the trade of a tailor. When he came to the United States, he spent several years at Alton, Illinois, following this trade. Mr. Wake came to Columbus in 1869 from Utah. He was one of the most respected citizens of the city of Columbus.
He was twice married. His first marriage took place in England, and their three children were born there. They are: James and Robert Wake, of Idaho, and Jane, Mrs. Charles Beringer, of Ogden, Utah. Mrs. Wake died in England.
Charles Wake was married to Emma Shefford, the daughter of William and Susan Milam Shefford, early in 1860, at Alton, Illinois. William Shefford was born in London, England, September 1, 1796, and Susan Milam was born in Windsor, Berkshire, England, November 1, 1798.
Emma Shefford was born in London, England, September 14, 1835. She was the ninth child of a family of eleven. Her eldest sister, Sarah, was born November 22, 1826. Sarah was married to James Henry Hudson, on November 19, 1844. The two eldest of the Hudson sons were also born in England. Henry and Sarah Hudson, their two sons, and her parents, William and Susan Shefford, came to the United States in 1851. Later, Emma Shefford and two of her other sisters joined them at Alton, Illinois. There, Emma met and was married to Charles Wake.
After their marriage, Charles and Emma Shefford Wake came to Omaha, Nebraska, with the Mormons.
Mr. and Mrs. Wake had three sons and two daughters: Charles, the eldest, was born in Omaha, December 18, 1860. He was married to Florence E. DeMoss. He died in February, 1932, in Fremont. Frank was married to Francis M. Redman. He died April 11, 1944, in Genoa. Thomas was married to Emma Jones. He died on May 29, 1945, at Seward. Susan, the widow of John G. Becher, lives at Hastings, Nebraska. Emma is Mrs. C. A. Allenburger of Columbus.
In 1862, Mrs. Wake's mother died and was buried at Florence. The family then traveled to Utah in covered wagons. En route, they had many experiences with the Indians. They lived on a farm at Centerville, a village between Salt Lake City and Ogden, for seven years. Frank, Thomas, and Susan Wake were born at Centerville.
The Wake family left Utah because of a crop failure, and the loss of stock. They returned to Nebraska over the first through train on the Union Pacific Railroad in 1869, and settled in Columbus. Their daughter, Emma, was born in Columbus.
Charles Wake frequently served his city and county in a public capacity. He was assessor in Columbus for nine years, and served one term as deputy county sheriff. He was a charter member of the first company of volunteer firemen organized in Columbus, known as Engine Company Number 1, and served with them as an active fireman from 1873 until 1880.
Lowell L. Walker, a prominent member of the Platte County Bar, was born September 10, 1894, at Cedar Bluffs, Saunders County, Nebraska. He is the son of Ozro M. and Katherine Lampert Walker. Ozro Walker, a native of Dubuque, Iowa, was born July 15, 1861, and died at Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska, July 2, 1904; he spent his active years as a farmer. Katherine Walker was born at Kohlsville, Wisconsin, January 25, 1866.
Lowell Walker had two brothers and two sisters: Lou, Mrs. E. C. Garlow, of Alliance, Ohio; Edson O., a construction company executive in LaGrange, Illinois; Glen A., general salesmanager of the Nebraska Power Company in Omaha, Nebraska; and Beatrice, Mrs. Harold Lampert, whose husband is Assistant Attorney General for the State of Wisconsin.
Mr. Walker received his early education in the Cedar Bluffs grade school. He was graduated in 1910 from Cedar Bluffs High School, and in 1911 from Lincoln High School. He then enrolled in the University of Nebraska, graduating from the Law College in 1914. Only nineteen then, he could not qualify for admission to the bar until he was twenty-one.
On September 29, 1917, at Kearney, Nebraska, he was married to Miss Alma Grace Harmon, the daughter of John Edward and Mary Elizabeth Clowes Harmon. Mrs. Walker was graduated from the Nebraska State Normal School at Kearney, Nebraska, and taught in Columbus prior to her marriage. The Walkers had two daughters and one son, Betty, Lowell Jr., and Delight. Betty attended the Columbus schools, Wesleyan University at Lincoln, and was graduated from the University of Wisconsin at Madison in 1941. She is married to William B. Smith of Madison, Wisconsin. Delight attended the Columbus schools, was graduated from Kramer High School and Grinnell College at Grinnell, Iowa. She was married on June 19, 1949, to Fred Hahn.
After completing his law education in 1914, Mr. Walker was affiliated for several months with the law office of C. Petrus Peterson at Lincoln. After coming to Columbus, he operated the Columbus Collection Agency from May, 1914, to September, 1915, after which he was admitted to the bar in Nebraska. In May, 1917, he entered the United States Army at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, as a first lieutenant. He served as a member of the 163rd Depot Brigade, Camp Dodge, Iowa; the Student Army Training Corps, at Des Moines College; and was in command of the S.A.T.C. at Oshkosh Normal College in Wisconsin. He was discharged with the rank of captain in the O.R.C. February 4, 1919.
On his return to Columbus, he formed a law partnership with C. N. McElfresh, under the firm name of McElfresh & Walker, continuing in this partnership until 1936.
The History of Platte County Nebraska
In May, 1941, he formed a partnership with Emil F. Luckey and H. D. Hunter under the firm name of Walker, Luckey & Hunter.
Mr. Walker is a member of the Wayside Country Club, the A.F.&A.M., the Eastern Star, the American Legion of which he is a past Post, and past District Commander, the Rotary International, the Columbus Chamber of Commerce, the Y.M.C.A., the War Dads, the Nebraska State Bar Association, the Platte County Bar Association, and is a Democrat.
Mr. and Mrs. Lowell L. Walker are members of the Methodist Church in Columbus.
Lowell L. Walker, Jr. was born September 30, 1920, in Columbus, Nebraska. He is the son of Lowell L. and Grace Harmon Walker, who reside in Columbus.
Lowell, Jr. attended the Columbus schools and was graduated from Kramer High School in 1937. Following this he was enrolled at Union College, Alliance, Ohio, for one year, and the University of Nebraska for two years.
In July, 1941, he enlisted as an aviation cadet in the Army Air Corps, and received flight training at Thunderbird Field, Arizona, Bakersfield, California, and Brooks Field, Texas. He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant on February 20, 1942. In July, 1942, he received his commission as First Lieutenant, and in August of that year was sent to England as a B-17 pilot. Before being shot down on a combat mission over Kiel, Germany, he completed eleven combat missions. He was a prisoner of war from May 14, 1943, until his liberation at Mosseberg, Germany, April 29, 1945. He was discharged from the service September 14, 1945.
On March 24, 1946, Lowell Walker, Jr. was married to Miss Margaret Ball of Columbus, the daughter of Charles and Muriel Snelson Ball. The Walkers have two daughters, Margaret Susan and Nancy Lee.
Lowell L., Jr. attended school at the University of Chicago in 1945-1946. In June, 1947, he was graduated from the University of Nebraska in business administration. He is a District Manager of the Dodge Motor Company and lived for a time at Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Reverend Robert Elliot Wallace, pastor of the Palestine Baptist Church in Joliet Township, was born November 14, 1908, in Osceola, Wisconsin. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Wallace, natives of Wisconsin. They are now deceased. Reverend Wallace had one brother and two sisters. Both his father and grandfather were farmers.
Reverend Wallace attended Barron County Center Grade School and Barron High School. He then enrolled in the University of Wisconsin, where he took the short course in agriculture. Later he attended the Northwestern Bible and Missionary Training School, and was ordained to the Baptist ministry. He served pastorates in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and at Culbertson and Genoa, Nebraska.
On February 15, 1946, at Smith Center, Kansas, he was married to Pearl Higgins, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Higgins. Mrs. Wallace had three brothers and two sisters.
Reverend and Mrs. Wallace have made a hobby of gardening. Outside of his missionary work and pastoral duties, Reverend Wallace interests are landscaping, farming and stock testing.
William James Walter, the son of Christian and Mary Ann Kramm Walter, natives of Germany, was born on July 2, 1859, at Mendota, Illinois. His mother was born in Frankfort-on-the-Main, and died in June, 1913, in Aurora, Illinois. His father was born in 1823 and died in 1871, in Mendota, Illinois. William James had one brother and two sisters: C. F. Walter, of Chicago; Mrs. Peter Koerfer and Mrs. Kate Glatefeldt, of Aurora.
In 1860 the Christian Walter family moved to Chicago where William lived until he was seven years old. He then returned to Mendota with his parents and attended school there. Following this he learned the trade of marble cutter at which he was employed in Mendota until 1881, and later for a year at Amboy, Illinois.
For twelve years, from 1882 to 1894, he worked as a traveling salesman in the vicinity of Aurora, Illinois. In 1894 he became associated with a Chicago Brewing Company Supply house as salesman. His territory included Nebraska.
While he was with this company in 1904, William J. Walter and George Rambour formed a partnership and bought the Columbus Brewing Company from Herman Kersenbrock, Sr.
In 1906 Mr. Walter moved his family from Dixon, Illinois, to Columbus where he became active in the sales department of the business. He served as president of the company from 1914 to 1923.
He was twice married. In 1881, at Amboy, Illinois, William James Walter was married to Anna M. Fasoldt. Mrs. Walter was born in 1859, at Amboy, and died in Aurora, Illinois, in 1903. William and Anna Fasoldt Walter had four sons: Leo G., who was married to Vesta Slater had a daughter, Katharine, and a son, William Jr., of Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Vesta Walter died in 1936 and Leo G. Walter died in 1945. Edward W. died at the age of twenty-one; Otto F., a prominent Columbus attorney, is married to Gertrude Bloom; and Carl A. Walter who was married to La Verne Stahl died at Camp Dix, New Jersey on October 5, 1918, while awaiting a transport to go overseas.
On August 8, 1905, at Dixon. Illinois, William James Walter was married to Mary Elizabeth Odenthal. William and Mary Elizabeth Walter had one son and two daughters: Frederick William, D.D.S.; Helen Marie, Mrs. Lynn Root, of Beverly Hills, California; and Pauline Catharine, Mrs. Edward Lehn, of Los Angeles, California.
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller