A T R A N D O M
Goldenrod . . . . our symbol
of "the 50th Y E A R." was adopted as
Nebraska's state flower April 4, 1895.
NEBRASKA STATE MOTTO is 'Equality before the law'
STATE BIRD is Western meadow lark.
NEBRASKA is an Otoe Indian word meaning 'flat water'.
WYUKA is an Indian word meaning "place to lie-down-and-sleep" (Otoe) . . . "Wyuka" in Lincoln is really a State cemetery, appropriated by the legislature of 1869 . . . 50 acres for state institution burials . . . 50 acres for the city of Lincoln.
A T R A N D O M
RUTHERFORD H. HAYES was President of the United States.
ALBINUS NANCE was Governor of Nebraska.
JOHN B. WRIGHT was Mayor of Lincoln.
Lincoln real and personal property was valued $1,496,000 . . . cost $12,000 to run the city . . . lots sold cheap . . . Mrs. Kelly sold home and lot near 12th and 0 sts. for $2,300 . . . L. C. Burr bought the John Kerr property at 13th and O for $2,500 . . . J. S. Atwood sold two lots at 13th and Q for $1,000 . . . State property valued at $360,000,000 with a population of 457,542 . . . today (1930) average is $4,000 per capita; sixth state in the United States . . . 63,387 farms in Nebraska in 1880.
Four banks were in Lincoln in 1890 . . . State Bank of Nebraska established in 1871 . . . became State National Bank in 1872 . . . Marsh Bros., Masher & Co. (1878) . . . became Capital National in 1880 . . . First National Bank of Lincoln founded in 1871; Judge Amassa Cobb president . . . John Fitzgerald president in 1880 . . . Lancaster County Bank (1877) . . . six more banks were organized in the 80's
There were 13,000 souls and 13 churches in Lincoln in 1880 . . . St. Paul Methodist Episcopal was established in 1868 . . . German Methodist Epis-
A T R A N D O M
copal (First Nebraska Legislature donated 3 lots at 15th and M) . . . Trinity Methodist Episcopal (1878) . . . First Presbyterian (1869) . . . Swedish Evangelical Lutheran (1870) . . . St. Paul's German Evangelical (1873) . . . First Baptist (1869) . . . Christian (1869) . . . Roman Catholic (1847) . . . Congregational (1866) . . . Holy Trinity Episcopal (1869) . . . First Universalist society (1870) . . . First African Methodist (1873) . . . meetings of these were held in homes, school buildings, old Capitol and tar covered unused buildings.
Lodges in 1880 included I. O. O. F. established in 1868 . . . Daughters of Rebekah (1870) . . . Germanic "62" (1877) . . . Knights of Pythias (1868) . . . A. A. Scottish Rite of U. S. (1873) . . . G. A. R. (1878).
Newspaper reported that Alderman Walsh favored only one policeman in 1880 . . . that Lincoln was just recovering from grasshopper scourge . . . that covered wagons wended westward daily through Lincoln.
Edmund B. Fairfield . . . chancellor of University of Nebraska . . . lived in a pretentious home opposite the Capitol on H . . . later home of John B. Wright, mayor in 1880 and 1881--now (1930) home of Delta Chi . . . "Prep" school gave six years on the University Campus . . . University hall too large . . . men used third floor and attic for dormitory . . . Clem Chase and Dan Wheeler were widely
A T R A N D O M
advertised "gilded youths" because they boarded at the Clifton House . . . must have paid as much as six dollars a month . Ladies' Hall charged 50 cents a week for a room . . . Ladies provided their bedsteads . . . Ellen Smith was first woman teacher of U. of N. . . . came in 1877 . . . stayed 24 years . . . 2,781 volumes were in the University library . . . University social life included literary society, Friday night . . . Palladian . . . Adelphian . . . University Union . . . Church attendance on Sunday . . . there were no athletics . . . the all-university interest was "The Hesperion" student paper . . . College of Agriculture opened with 15 students . . . on Moses Culver farm . . . 320 acres were bought in 1874.
High School graduating class in 1880 included six . . . Della Cox, Alice W. Coy, Sadie A. Lease, Walter C. Davis, Fred H. Hathaway. W. E. Hardy . . . the latter gave the salutary which the press reported was "short, sweet and to the point" . . . nine instructors in the high school . . . 105 pupils.
Artesian well near the Post Office was noted for its medicinal waters . . . was used for drinking and medicinal baths. . . . C. H. lmhoff was first boy in town to own a bicycle . . . had a 52 inch wheel . . . cheapest wheels were $90 . . . Prescott's music store had an Orchestrion . . . wound like a clock and "played heavenly music without touching the keys" . . . Mr. Young drove his horse from Waverly to Lincoln under 50 minutes and won a wager with the
A T R A N D O M
young crowd . . . one telephone in a neighborhood was handy in case of fire . . . free concert was given over the telephone . . . 9 persons listened in to "sweet strains from a music box in Judge Hull's office" . . . . press stated grocers and butchers would have to have telephones sooner or later . . . Journal received first local item via telephone from Gran Ensign.
Lieut. Webster showed a funny invention to hold the moustache out of the way . . . little clips to keep it back . . . press reported that this may replace the moustache cup.
Doctors came to the Prairie Capital . . . in 1880 F. G. Fuller was the oldest resident physician. Wm. S. Latta came in 1873, B. L. Paine in 1878, A. R. Mitchell in 1879, L. N. Robbins (1869), L. J. Bumstead (1871), C. C. Radmore (1870), Milton Lane (1879) Horace Chapin (1879) . . . others here in 1880 included H. S. Grimes, D. H. Muir J. G. Davis, E. B. Righter, N. J. Beachley, J. B. DeNayer, H. D. Gilbert, J. D. Leslie, and C. W. Oviatt.
Lawyers were many . . . in 1880 there were S. B. Pound who came to Lancaster in 1867. L. W. Billingsley (1869), D. G. Hull (1969), C. C. Burr (1868), J. E. Philpott (1867), S. J. Tuttle (1869), W. F. Chapin (1856), Allen Field (1861), Julius Cadman (1859), T. P. Kennard (1868). H. H. Blodgett (1869), S. B. Galey (1868), A. L Palmer (1868), C. O. Whedon (1870), A. C. Ricketts
A T R A N D O M
(1870), E. P. Holmes (1870), T. M. Marquette (1874), L. C. Burr (1872), N. S. Harwood (1871), N. C. Abbott (1871), A. J. Sawyer (1875), G. M. Lambertson (1874), M. L. Easterday (1876), John C. Johnson (1876), J. H. Ames 1875), J. R. Foxworthy (1873), A. G. Scott (1872), W. J. Lamb (1875), H. V. Hoagland (1877), J. L Caldwell (1878), T. F. Horace (1875), S. H. Burnham (1880), W. Q. Bell (1880), L. W. Wheaton (1880) . . . other lawyers here in 1880 were M. H. Sessions, Geo. K. Amory, Chas. L. Harris, H. S. Jennings, C. N. Damron, F. F. Runyan, N. S. Scott, Chas. H. Tanner, Judge J. C. Crocker, J. P. Lantz, J. A. Marshall, S. P. Vanatta, C. M. Parker, and R. W. Taylor.--during the 80's
An invention. a new industry, and a law . . . changes . . . changes . . . carriage makers are scarce now (1930), but in 1880 P. W. O'Connor was a well known carriage maker, (His son is Father O'Connor of Havelock)--after him came many other makers of wagons and carriages. Harness makers flourished . . . Wittmann Bros . . . J. H. Woodward ... Letteridge & Clark, Riordan, Fox & Co. made wagons . . . S. J. Dobson and J. A. Buckstaff had a tannery . . . there were three soap factories . . . C. C. Spencer owned one . . . Sargent, Eldridge & Co. another . . . and C. H. Kinney the third. Breweries were
busy . . . two important ones . . . the South Lincoln Brewery owned by J. Lutz explains the well known "Robber's cove" in south Lincoln . . . it was used to cool the beer . . . even tho Francis Willard spoke hear in 1880 . . . . the Legislature of 1881 defeated prohibition . . . but only by two votes . . . 2700 glasses of beer were sold in one saloon on circus day . . . June 12, 1880.
In 1888, Christian University (now Cotner) was opened with W. P. Aylsworth first president . . . Nebraska Wesleyan with C. F. Creighton, first chancellar . . . Seventh Day Adventist School (now Union College), with William Prescott, first president . . . in 1889, Nebraska Conservatory of Music was founded by Prof. O. B. Howell; Clemens Movius and S. Q. Quick were on first faculty . . . Central Law College, with Henry Smith first dean . . . Oscar F. Funke, M. W. Folsom, J. H. Mockett and Fred Richards, were first graduates . . . Lincoln Business College (now School of Commerce) was organized in 1884 by Prof. F. F. Roose.
Chas. H. Gere edited the Commonwealth newspaper in 1867 . . . when the name was changed to Nebraska State Journal he became president . . . Albert Watkins bought an interest in Daily State Democrat in 1882 . . . edited it until he became postmaster in 1885 . . . J. C. Seacrest was on the Journal staff in 1887 . . . then to the "Globe" . . . but returned to the Journal in 1890.
A T R A N D O M
Lincoln Street Railway organized 1881 . . . Mr. Joe Herrich put 5c in the box of the first street car . . . drawn by a mule . . . broncho teams also were used . . . Rapid Transit Company organized 1887 ... at first dummy engines . . . then electric motor and compressed air . . . Lincoln Belt Line Co. was organized in 1887 . . . used steam cars . . . cable cars came in 1887 . . . electric cars in 1889.
During the 80's Oscar Wilde lectured here . . . Fanny Davenport played in Lincoln . . . Bill Nye . . . Edwin Booth . . . Maggie Mitchell ... Lily Lnagtry . . . Modjeska . . . Frank Mayo . . . Fannie Davenport . . . Minnie Maddern were here in the Funk theater . . . C. W. Bonnell won the roller skating championship of Nebraska . . . crazy quilts, were the "craze" . . . fringed valentines the vogue . . . Press stated that midwestern girls have larger feet than eastern ... they wear 3's and 4's while eastern girls wear 1's and 2's.
Winter of '81 was the coldest on record to that date . . . 35 degrees below zero . . . old cemetery at 7th and G was declared a nuisance . . . street sprinkler company settled the two inches of dust constantly swirling in the streets in 1881 . . . 50 covered wagons passed thru going westward October 20, 1882 . . . fine homes were built . . . J. J. Imhoff home (12th and J) . . . J. D. McFarland home (14th
A T R A N D O M
and Q) . . . John R. Clark (20th and F) now (1930) home of W. M. Leonard ... T. P. Kennard . . . one of the three founders of Lincoln, built at 1627 H . . . now (1930) home of R. L. Ferguson . . . H. H. Wheeler home built in 1884 . . . moved there in 1885 . . . Mrs. Wheeler still lives there . . . Ellen Smith Hall (14th & R) was built by Frank Sheldon . . . the Governor's mansion (1930) was built by D. E. Thompson in early 90's . . . old Country Club . . . now ( 1930) the home of Ku Klux Klan, wan built by Governor Butler in the 70's.
Oyster suppers were the favorite mode of entertainment in winter . . . hotel chefs prepared the feast . . . Bonnes Amica (1881) 10 young women including Carrie Polk, Cora Banta, Winnie Richards, Kate Monell, Carrie Sessions, Cleve Lamb, Fannie Metcalf, Sadie Harris, Hattie Funk. Neither absent nor tardy (Jan. 1882) in our city schools were Harry Harley, May Burr, Wils Winger, Lena Law, Phillie Bohanan, Willie Hargreaves, Eddie Bonanan, Colonel Burr and Jimmie Canfield. . . . An amateur whist club organized (1885) including young married people . . . Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Burr, F. L. Shelton, D. D. Muir, C. I. Lippincott, H. H. Wheeler, S. H. Burnham, W. A. Green, G, M. Lambertson, I. B. Coons, W. J. Lamb, A. S. Raymond, R. H. Oakley and W. K. Stewart. . . . The "best" people in town were at the opening of the Casino Skating Rink (1885) . . . Progressive euchre club included
A T R A N D O M
Olive Latta, Hallie Hooper, Castle laws, Maude Hammond, Annie Funk and nineteen others . . . A German was held at Frank L. Sheldon home (now Ellen Smith Hall 1930) . . . Lieut. Townley led it in the mosaic floored court . . . First Charity ball was held in representative hall at the Capitol.-- in the GAY 90's
Pleasant Hour club masquerade . . . there were elaberate costumes . . . Minnie Latta, Maud Barr and Will Clarke were three babes; May Burr, satan; Olive Latta, monk; Hallie Hooper, queen of the night; Miss Will Marquette, Kate Greenaway; Mr. Dorgan, Washington; Dr. Ladd, monk; Mr. Houtz, convict; C. Y. Smith, Big Lord Fauntleroy; Martha Funk, La Tosca; Mr. Buckstaff, Turk . . . Misses Graham and Richards held a progressive tiddledy wink party . . . parties came in series ... kensingtons for those who did not play cards . . . large iron fence was placed round the University in 1891.
© 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project, submitted by Kathie
"I'd like to dedicate this to the memory of the early people of Lincoln, Nebraska
in honor of my Grand Aunt Ellen Hogan Keane"