NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Picture or sketch

Hospital for the Insane, Lincoln



Picture or sketch

Home for the Friendless, Lincoln

Lincoln Hospital for the Insane.

     This hospital ranks among the first institutions of the kind in the United States. It is entirely modern in its appointments and is capable of accommodating six hundred patients. It was put into use April 17, 1871 and was at that time the only public institution owned by the state. The first building was burned, but it was replaced soon after. The hospital is situated southwest of Lincoln and is surrounded by eight hundred and eighty acres of cultivated land. The buildings, together with the land connected with them have been an expense of over $750,000.00. Dr. J. L. Greene is Superintendent of the Institution.

State Home for the Friendless.

     The State Home for the Friendless is located in Lincoln. The property belonging to it consists of 2.07 acres of ground on which there are five buildings and a small greenhouse. Every department of this institution is carried on in a careful and systematic manner and is one of the most deserving public institutions in the state in the interest of charity. There are the main and school buildings, laundry, cottage, or hospital, and barn. The annual expenditure for operating the institution is about $16,000.00. Mrs. Mary B. Sohus is the Superintendent, and on December 1, 1902, there were seventy-two inmates in the Home for the Friendless.

Prior page


Names index

Picture or sketch

@ 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller