built by a stock company with a capital stock of
$500,000.00. The cost of construction was $200,000.00 and
the ground upon which it is placed cost $55,000.00,
making the total cost $255,000.00. The officers are as
follows: F. A. Nash, President; T. C. Byrne,
Vice-President; Alfred Millard, Treasurer; J. R. Lehmer,
Secretary; T. J. Mahoney, Counsel; J. M. Gillan,
Assistant Secretary and Manager
NEBRASKA DAIRY INDUSTRY.
Section of the Dairy Building, State Farm
organization of this sort was effected at Lincoln in 1885
by a few men interested in stock breeding and from this
society was developed the present Nebraska Dairymen's
Association. In 1900, there were 512,544 dairy cows and
674,025 cows on the range. The amount of butter produced
during this year was 46,244,839 pounds and of cheese,
578,030 pounds. In 1901 there were 106,350 dairy cows
added to the stock of the previous year. The good water.
and grazing resources, together with the even climate,
are largely responsible for the success of the dairy
Those who have been
Presidents of the Nebraska dairymen's Association are:
1886, J. Dixon Avery; 1887, W. G. Whitmore; 1888, J. W.
Livringhouse; 1889, J. C. Merrill; 1890, D. P. Ashburn;
1891, J. H. Rushton; 1892, E. J. Hainer; 1893, Wm.
Sutton; 1894, W. A. Carpenter; 1895, B. R. Stouffer;
1896, E. F. Howe; 1897, F. H. Vaughn; 1898, Geo. E.
Haskell; 1899-1900, John J. King; 1901, J. H.. Rushton;
1902, E. S. Snivley; 1903, J. K. Honeywell. The officers
of 1903 were: President, J. K. Honeywell, Lincoln; Vice
President, J. S. Clark, Ravenna; Secretary and Treasurer,
S. C. Bassett, Gibbon; Directors, B. R. Stouffer, J. C.
Merrill, William F. Ulrich, L. D. Stilson and Prof. A. L.
Haecker. In 1904, C. A. Clark, of Ravenna, was elected
president and S. C. Bassett; Secretary.