SEMI-CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF
dent, '82, '83, '84, '85 ; Secretary, '86, '87,
'88. R. N. Day, Vice President, 1882,'85, '86; President,
'87, '88; Secretary, '91. Mrs. R. H. Stratton, Vice
President, 1887. W. R. Harris, President 1888; Vice
President, '89, '90. Peter Youngers, Jr., Treasurer, 1888
to 1904. F. W. Taylor, President, 1889, '90, '91;
Secretary, '92, '93, '94. E. F. Stephens, President, 1892
to '96. D. U. Reed, Vice President, 1892, '93, '94;
Secretary, '95. G. A. Marshall, Vice President, 1895,
'96; President, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01. J. H. Hadkinson,
Secretary, 1896; Vice President, 97, '98, '99. C. H.
Barnard, Secretary, 1897 to 1902. L. M. Russell, Vice
President, 1900, '01; President '02; Secretary, '03, '04.
G. S. Christy, Vice President, 1902; President, '03, '04.
W. J. Hesser, Vice President, 1903, '04.
The Nebraska State Board of
The State Agricultrural (sic) Board was established in
1867 and its charter members were: S. M. Kirkpatrick, O.
P. Mason, C. H. Walker, George Crow, J. G. Miller, John
Patrick, John Ritchie, John Cadmore, Samuel Maxwell, Elam
Clark, Isaac Albertson, Amos Gates, Geo. A. Hall, Wm.
Imelay, B. A. Allen, H. M. Reynolds, W. D. Scott, A. S.
Holiday, John B. Bennett, B. Gates, Louis A. Walker, J.
Sterling Morton, J. W. Hollingshead, G. P. Thomas, J. B.
Stout, Henry Sprick, S. W. Kennedy, A. L. Childs and
Anderson Miller. Previous to Nebraska's organization as a
state, there was a Territorial Board of Agriculture,
which had been in existence since 1858. The first
permanent officers of the territorial organization were:
Robert W. Furnas of Nemaha County, President; A. D. Jones
of Douglas County, Secretary, and John M. Thayer of
Douglas County, Treasurer. Under this management a fair
was held at Nebraska City in September of 1859. At that
time there were no accommodations for a display of this
sort and the meagre prizes were paid by personal
subscription. Nebraska City was also the location of the
first State Fair. In the early years, there was a great
deal of contention as to the location of the annual
fairs. Brownville was the successful competitor in 1871,
Lincoln during the next two years and Omaha in 1874 and
1875. Then it was arranged that the fair should be held
for five consecutive years in a place. Following is a
list of the Presidents since 1872: J. Sterling Morton, R.
R. Greer, S. M. Barker, R. H. Henry, Ed. McIntyre, John
Jensen, Martin Dunham, J. T. Clarkson; B. A. Barnes, M.
Doolittle, S. C. Bassett, B. L. Vance and John B.
Dinsmore. The members who have acted as Secretaries since
1872 are: A. D. Jones, D. H. Wheeler, J. C. McBride and
Robert W. Furnas. The Treasurers since 1872 have been: J.
M. Thayer, L. A. Walker, J. W. Moore, C. Hartman, L. A.
Kent and Ed. McIntyre.
The first meeting of
the Territorial Board of Agriculture was held at the
"Herndan House" in Omaha, which has since been converted
into the Union Pacific railroad headquarters. At this
meeting the term of service was divided among the
members. Those chosen for one year were: Thomas Gibson,
E. Estabrook, J. M. Thayer, C. Bobst, J. Hoover, M. S.
Reeves, Broad Cole and H. Baird. The members chosen to
serve two years were: H. Johnson, A. D. Jones, R. W.