In 1947 the veterans of the Bellwood Area decided to form an American Legion Post in Bellwood. After several meetings, it was decided to call it the Laverne Schmit Post 327 in honor of Laverne Schmit, who served in the Navy and was killed in a plane crash near Bermuda on Jan. 10, 1943. His body was returned on Nov. 21, 1947 and laid to rest in St. Peter's Cemetery near Bellwood. The American Legion Post 327 received its charter in 1947.
The following officers were elected: Carl E. Carson. commander; Frank Markus, vice commander; Roe Clark, adjutant; Calvin Sorensen, finance officer; Dr. J. M. McNally, service officer; Rev. D.B. O'Conner, chaplain; and Fred Mansfield, membership chairman.
The following Veterans were charter
members: Carl Carson, Frank Benedict, Leo Bock, Marlin
Scholz, Walter Hoshor, Anthony Hiller, Paul Hiller, Ludwig
Rohrich, Otto Selzer, Floyd Napier, Otto Selzer, Jr., Fred
Dvorak. Jr., Albert Hunt, Raymond Hough, J. W. Eschliman,
Roy Bock, Howard Loveless, Bernard Adams, Walter Peters,
Harold Bock, Fredrick Mansfield, Ebeart Kamenske, Frank
Markus, Frank Beard, J. M. McNally, Wm. Fischer, George
Smith, Wilton Gunderson, Francis Besch, Maurice Sylvester,
Orsie Adams, Jr., Allen Baer, Leo Schmit, Audrey Kreizinger,
Matt Supancheck, Leo Nicolas, Robert Schmit, Bernard
Meysenburg, Harold Kroesing, Roe Clark, Leo Adamy, Leonard
Adamy, Harry West, Jr., Harry McDonald.
Laverne Schmit Post No.
Our unit is named for LaVerne Schmit
who served during World War II in the Navy. At the time of
his death on January 10, 1943, he was on an Atlantic Air
Patrol Flight off shore from Bermuda.
Troop No. 178
Original charter was issued in 1964.
Scoutmaster was Frank Beard. Assistants: Gerald McDonald and
Troop No. 136
The Brownie Girl Scout Troop No. 136
was started in 1970 with 19 members. As the girls became too
old for Brownies, they advanced to the Junior Girl
Bellwood entered the C.I.P. in 1971 and
1972. The first meeting was held on February 26, 1971 and
the following were appointed as the board of directors:
Glenn Forre, Ray Kouma, Lumir Oborny, and Robert Wilson. The
board of directors then elected the officers: Chairwoman,
Mrs. Ruth Cockson; Vice-chairman, James Cockson; Secretary,
Anna Kinnison; and Treasurer, Robert R. Bell.
Bellwood Hotel, Gunderson Drug Store, Peck's
Confectionery and Didier's Grocery store on the west side of
Of The Civil War
Kady Brownell Tent No. 25
The Daughters of Union Veterans of the
Civil War is the oldest Women's Patriotic organization. On
June 3, 1885, five young girls held a meeting to organize
the First Tent named Mrs. Major McKinley Number One in
Brownell Tent No. 25 cooperates in planning for Memorial
Day services every year and places flowers on graves of
departed sister members and deceased servicement
[sic] of the Civil War as well as all other
Mr. Conrad Meister, Chairman of the
Board of Trustees of the Village of Bellwood, called for a
town meeting November 12, 1912, for the purpose of
organizing a fire department. The meeting was held at the
office of the Farmers Grain Company. Charter members of the
organization were as follows: O. A. Brandenburgh, John P.
Delaney, John B. Reemts, Roy Classen, Elles Roberts, Jas
Hall, Jr., H. A. Taylor, Dayton J. Smith, John M. Sauser,
Phillip G. Smith, A. T. Curtis, Daniel E. Burkey, Will S.
Andrews, Henry A. Whitney, Chad J. Rumler, John W. Grant,
Thurman Fox, Peter Powers, Jr., Matt J. Sauser, John H.
Thomas, and Virgil H. Graves.