Gazette-June 12, 1934
A meeting was held for the
purpose of discussing plans for organizing a Cooperative
Bank in Bellwood. There were a sufficient number of signers
and a charter will be drawn up.
Bellwood Co-op Service Center
After months of casual conversation by
a group of farsighted individuals who believed in the future
of their community and the need to join forces to provide a
more economical means of procuring their fuels and other
needs, a formal organizational meeting to establish
Consumers Co-op Oil was held Feb. 21, 1927.
The Oil Company's fuels storage area
was moved to its present location south of Bellwood in 1953
following the most disastrous event of its existence, namely
a $7500.00 fire which destroyed the original plant, a 1949
gas truck and injured driver Richard Didier. The blaze was
set off by a spark which caused an explosion throwing Didier
from the small office.
Farmers Co-operative Grain Co.
Many grain dealers have served the Bellwood area since the early 1880's, some of which were: Spelts & Klosterman, Central Graneries, Nye-Schneider-Jenks, later becoming Nye-Schneider-Fowler, Golden West, Holland, Morrissey Bros., F. E. Gage and the Farmers Grain Co., which has been providing a market place for the area farmers crops for 70
The feed mill became a reality on April
20, 1966, when the Board entered into a contract with Quad
States of Des Moines to construct a feed mill for a final
cost of nearly $74,000.00. An addition to the warehouse area
of the mill was completed in 1969. At the time of
construction, Joe Romshek was hired to head the Feed Mill
Department and has continued on in that capacity to the
Tearing down the old elevator.
New office of Farmers Co-operative Grain Co.
Farmers Cooperative Grain Co.
Adolph Kosch had the second garage in
Bellwood. This picture of his garage was taken in 1914. That
is Adolph standing by the gas pump. His mechanic, Fay Smith,
is standing in the shadow in the doorway. This garage set
north of his home on the west side of the main street, just
a bit south of Cyril Birkel's new home.
Communication has been the source for
growth since time began and Bellwood is no exception. Dating
back to the days when mail was addressed to "Patron" mail,
in one form or another, has been making its way here.
set on the west side of the main street one-half block south
of the bank (lot 9 block 6) and was well known to three
generations. It was owned by Phil Smith and during his term
as postmaster from 1897 to 1913 was the BeIIwood Post