Mr. Millay is a native of Leland, La Salle county, Illinois, born October 17, 1866. His father, Robert Millay, was a stockman and pioneer settler in Keya Paha county, coming here in 1884, four years prior to his death. He came to this section in its early days, and was one of those who helped to establish the county-seat of Springview. The mother of our subject was Miss Ellen Deach, a native of Blane, Pennsylvania, who joined her husband in this county a year after his advent here, and she now lives in Springview. She was reared and educated in Livingston county. Our subject attended high school at Odell, Illinois, whither his parents moved in 1869, from which institution he graduated in 1883. The following year he entered the employ of a large grocery establishment in Chicago and remained with this concern until 1887, when he came to Nebraska and located in Keya Paha county. Here he clerked for D. A. Davis for two years, and then purchased the hardware business of Wolf & Logan, which he conducted for the following ten years. In 1895 he was elected county clerk and served in this capacity for four years, and at the expiration of his term established the bank of which he is now the cashier, Mr. E. D. Reynolds, a capitalist of the east, being president. In 1904 these two gentlemen, together with Mr. J. M. Hackler, organized the Gregory State Bank, located at Gregory, South Dakota, on what was the Rosebud Reservation. This was the first banking institution established on that reservation, and opened for business in 1903 with a capital of $25,000. Its growth has been phenomenal, and now does the largest business of any bank in that territory. Mr. Millay is active manager of the bank, dividing his time between this and the Stockmen's Bank at Springview. Besides these interests he owns three bodies of land aggregating two thousand acres, situated in Keya Paha county, and engages to a large extent in stock raising, personally managing the affairs of the ranches.
Mr. Millay was married in September, 1888, to Miss Emma Banks, born in Clayton county, Iowa, a daughter of James Banks, who is a prominent farmer of Clayton county. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Millay, who are named as follows: Edna E., Robert Lloyd, Fern, Don B., and Ruth, all born in Springview excepting Edna, who was born on the old homestead in Custer precinct, within sight of the town.
Mr. Millay has since his residence in this section taken a deep interest in all affairs that tended to the general improvement of his community, and has been instrumental in the development of the commercial and educational opportunities throughout the county. He has held local office at different times, and at present is a member of the town board. Fraternally he is an active member of the Knights of Pythias and the Royal Highlanders of Springview.
LOUIS JOHN FREDERICK IAEGER
Louis John Frederick Iaeger, better known throughout the western part of the United States as "Billy, the Bear" is one of the prosperous and prominent citizens of Dawes county, Nebraska, where for the past twenty-two years he has resided and acted in many official capacities, having been elected four terms as police judge and justice of the peace in the early days of the county when times were red hot for officials of any character. He was also elected for eleven years as city clerk of his favorite city of Chadron, Nebraska, and is at present serving a four-year term as clerk of the district court of Dawes county, as well as filling the offices of deputy clerk of the United States circuit and district courts. He is a native of Pennsylvania, where, in 1855, he first saw the light of day. His ancestors were all of strong German pioneer stock; his great grandfather was spiritual adviser to Frederick the Great and the use of the royal coat of arms was given the Iaeger family, which fact is a matter of historical record, at this day, in Washington, District Columbus (sic). His grandfather on his father's side was the Rev. G. F. I. Iaeger, a pioneer who helped to settle Pennsylvania and whose record is monumental among the Lutheran synods of that state for his good deeds in the pulpit of Berks county. From this venerable ancestor it is believed that the subject of this sketch inherited his own truly charitable instincts, his exceptional business integrity and his systematic quality of mind. His father, Charles S. Iaeger, was a coachmaker by trade and followed his profession at Hamburg, Pennsylvania, up to the time of his death which occurred when Louis was five years of age. A year later his mother was stricken with paralysis, caused from a runaway team, which killed his father the year before and at which time our subject was with his parents, but was unhurt in the affair.
His democratic principles, as the meaning of liberty and freedom of speech, never suited his next of kin after the death of his parents and at the tender age of six he was sent, via Central America, to California, where he was raised by his father's brother in Yuma, California,
who, at that time, was one of the wealthiest and largest contractors on the Pacific coast and who was known as Don Diego. From 1861 to 1869 our subject's associates were mostly Spaniards, his uncle being married to one of the Castile's beauties, and together with his cousins attended Spanish school until after the civil war, after which his education was entrusted to private tutors. His progress was rapid among the arts and mechanics of those days while nautical works were the preferred studies of this wonderful boy of only thirteen who, by this time, had learned to be a pilot on one of the river boats, of which uncle was owner.
At sixteen years of age he passed the educational examination for the Annapolis Naval Academy, but was rejected on account of a slight defect with one of his ears. He never faltered, however, and in the fall of the same year underwent a critical examination before the New York Nautical Academy and was granted his diploma and two years later he received a navigator's certificate as a sailing master entitling him to sail the high seas as a captain notwithstanding he was at that time under the age limit and was compelled to undergo a severe examination in consequence. In 1873 he entered the employ of W. R. Grace & Co., of New York city, in what was then known as the California Grain Fleet between Liverpool and San Francisco; but his blood was too fast for so slow going crafts and the following year, after having made a trip overland from New York to San Francisco, he was especially employed as quartermaster on board the City of Pekin, one of the finest 5,000 ton liners then plying between San Francisco and the Oriental ports including the Yellow Pearl domain, and which vessel was a sister ship to the City of Tokio, both of which belonged to the Pacific Mail Steam Ship Company. Having already traveled twice around the world as sailor and tourist and while thus employed as quartermaster on one of his trips, he made the acquaintance of a rich nobleman's son, who taking a fancy to his roving spirit and bright disposition, sought him as a partner and guide in his travel over the world, offering to pay all bills, which offer was accepted and the "Ropes" were again overhauled and the world was seen from "High Points."
In 1876 he cast anchor in the publishing house of A. L. Bancroft & Co., of 721 Market street, San Francisco, where he worked as proof reader on the Herbert H.. Bancroft series, the most remarkable original historical work ever produced on this side of the Atlantic by a single brain. "Around the world in eighty days" again took him to Australia in the early part of 1877 and, returning to San Francisco in June of that year, he appeared on the boards of the Grand Opera House in the play of "Snowflake." Buffalo Bill was that time touring the Pacific coast with "The Buffalo Bill Combination Company," and soon Mr. Iaeger was engaged to play the part of a bear in the play of "Red Right Hand," with which Cody was taking the Californians by storm. He soon became Cody's private secretary and, with the closing of the season, he accompanied the noted scout to North Platte, Nebraska, where he decided to cast his lot with the plainsmen and cowpuncher of the frontier, anything for novelty and newness being his sole enjoyment.
The opening up of a new cattle country on the famous Niobrara river in the northern part of Nebraska next caught his fancy and in 1878 he was one of the leaders there in the warfare on the Cheyenne Indians who were burning ranches and killing the cattlemen. For two years this suited him and the hardships of a nomadic life proved to make a man of steel. Soon, however, civilization commenced to move westward, and Fort Niobrara, was established at Valentine, Nebraska. Sheridan and Fort Robinson were military posts further west and the white covered wagons of the early settlers were getting too numerous and consequently it was no more a good cattle country and "Billy" migrated to the Snake creek country on the Black Hills road on the shores of Broncho Lake years before it could have been dreamed that Alliance would come and drink up its waters. In 1881 he again "moved camp" and went to Texas, where he purchased one thousand five hundred head of stock horses and, to use his own words, made a "wagon full of money."
In the same year the Wood river gold excitement attracted his attention in Idaho and not until he had wasted $45,000 of money "that was good in Europe," did he make up his mind that mining was out of his class. Those were the days of strenuous and tumultuous life or spectacular times,--up one morning and down the next. The man who could stand loss was a safe one to tie to, but woe to him who sorrowed for gold. Our subject was not of the latter kind; he was constructed of steel bands, and when he came down, he found himself in the saddle once more punching cows for Sudduth and Montgomery on Rock creek in Wyoming, content with $75.00 per month.
Soon, however, Mr. Iaeger's services were sought by eastern capitalists then organizing a monster cattle company to be known as "The Yellow Stone Cattle Company." and Colonel Cody,
his old friend, was foremost in testimonials touching Mr. Iaeger's qualifications to manage this vast undertaking, but his star of fate seems to have been against him from this point, for this engagement was the forerunner of the saddest experience of his life, and which has been to him a tragedy for the past twenty-five years, and will be so no matter how hard he may seem to want to forget it until his remains are laid away in the silent tomb.
He was on an errand in obedience to his employers, when, overtaken in a Wyoming blizzard, he lost both feet and all his fingers, after having been exposed for five days and four nights to the coldest weather Wyoming has ever experienced. His detailed story of those days and nights are enough to chill one's blood and, but for the fact that he has refused to re-write it for this work, we would gladly give it space.
Left penniless and almost distracted at his loss, he still relied on science to assist him in the world. He at once procured a set of Kolbe Artificials and set about to educate himself more with a view of adapting himself to clerical work. From the time of his release from the hospital at Laramie City, Wyoming, May 5, 1883, to April, 1886, he continued his studies and exerted his all-powerful will to overlook his own wants and disadvantages and assist others who might be in greater distress. He has certainly accomplished wonders and bears the name throughout the entire west as a liberal, generous-hearted man, ever ready to lend a hand for the purpose of uplifting a brother in need. In 1882 he married one of the brightest and handsomest young ladies of his county and today stands as a living monument among his fellow citizens as a man fully and thoroughly capable of having a good home of his own adorned by a loving and devoted wife and two boys, aged fifteen and seven, who will soon be able to assist their father in his work for the advancement of mankind, He cast his maiden vote for Samuel J. Tilden and thereby incurred the displeasure of an uncle who cut him short $59,999, leaving him $1.00, while to his brothers and sisters, each was given $60,000.
He is a Democrat to the core, and studies other governments in unison with our own. He swears by W. J. Bryan and hopes the God of Fate may be with his cause. His friends in fraternal orders are legion and especially so among the Fraternal Order of Eagles, in which order he holds high office, both at home and throughout his state, being recognized as a worker for anything that may befriend and do good to a brother in distress.
Judge E. S. Ricker, ex-county judge and journalist, of Chadron, has this to say of him: "I have been personally acquainted with L. J. F. Iaeger in an official and a business manner as well as in a friendly relation for twenty-one years, and it gives me much happiness to say he possesses exceptional work as a man; a well recognized capacity for business, which has been developed by study and experience and that in his long service in minor judicial positions he has displayed sound and impartial judgment which recommend him to his fellow citizens for re-election.
"Whenever called to any position of honor or trust he has not failed to continue to deserve the respect which raised him to the public place or confidential connections. He has seen much of the world, and his knowledge of men and of human nature helps to fit him with a special competency for the high and honorable place to which his aspirations invite him.
"He is courteous and obliging in disposition, which qualities of the agreeable man distinctly mark his intercourse with others and at the same time he may be depended upon for ready decision and prompt action, springing from his ability for both, and afterwards to maintain these by such firmness as gives stability to all proceedings.
"It is to me both a personal pleasure and privilege to pay this tribute to such a remarkable and deserving man while he lives; it could do him no good after he is dead."
A portrait of Mr. Iaeger appears on another page of this work
MICHAEL D. JORDAN
Michael D. Jordan, county treasurer, is one of the old settlers of Sioux county, Nebraska, who has gone through many hard and bitter experiences during the early settlement of this region, and on three distinct occasions in his career experienced the sensation of being down to "rock bottom" so far as finances were concerned. He has seen as much of the seamy side of pioneer life as any one who has settled in the wilds of Nebraska, but through it all has done his best to assist in the development of his locality, and his name will occupy a prominent place in the history of its growth.
Mr. Jordan was born in Kenosha county, Wisconsin, on a farm, April 15, 1848. His parents were of Irish birth, both emigrating to this country when children, and were raised and educated here, where their parents settled in the early days.
Our subject grew up in his native state assisting his father in carrying on the home farm,
early learning to do all kinds of hard work, and when he was nineteen years of age the family left Wisconsin and moved to Boone county, Iowa, where they lived until Michael was thirty-eight.
In 1886 Mr. Jordan came to Sioux county, Nebraska, and during the first several months in this region was employed on construction work on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway which was then being laid through to Douglas, Wyoming. He filed on a tract of government land situated twenty-five miles northeast of Harrison, and rapidly improved it and proved up on the claim. In 1893 he established a general merchandise store at Adelia., Nebraska, and conducted that place for about thirteen years, and did well in that line. In 1901 he purchased a nice ranch in section 19, township 33, range 53, and still owns the property. It is well improved, and is at present rented out, while he is attending to his duties as county treasurer at Harrison. He occupies a handsome and pleasant home in Harrison village, where the family have a host of good friends and congenial neighbors. Mr. Jordan is one of the organizers of Sioux county, and was the first postmaster at Adelia, which was established in 1892.
In 1907 our subject was elected county treasurer on the Republican ticket, and is now serving in the capacity, and has proven a most capable and popular public official.
Mr. Jordan was married in 1905 to Mrs. Clara Davis.
H. M. WARRINER
H. M. Warriner, proprietor of one of the finest farms in Franklin county, Nebraska, is one of the oldest settlers in this locality. He has done his full share toward the development of the agricultural resources of the region where he chose his home, and is a widely known and universally respected citizen.
Mr. Warriner was born in Geauga county, Ohio, in 1836, and brought up in that state. His father, William Warriner, was also a native of Ohio, the family originally coming from New York state, and after our subject grew up, the father came to Nebraska and bought a farm on one hundred and sixty acres situated near Riverton, which he lived on up to the time of his death. The mother, prior to her marriage, was Miss Emily Bushnell, daughter of Martin Bushnell.
In 1861 our subject enlisted in the Forty-first Ohio Infantry, and served as a soldier for two years and a half. He took part in many of the large battles, among them the battle of Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, Vicksburg and all the battles of the sixteenth army corps. He was obliged to leave the army on account of sickness, and he then went to Iowa where he farmed in Delaware county. Since his experience here in Nebraska he states that this is a much better farming country than Iowa, as the land is fully as good, and the crops are as good as can be raised anywhere. Besides this, the climate is delightful, and one man can do as much work here as two can do there. Mr. Warriner has a farm of four hundred acres and has it in the finest shape imaginable. He has good buildings and everything in the way of modern machinery to properly run the place. He is assisted in its operation by his eldest son, Willard David Warriner, who is married and living at home, taking the heaviest burdens from the shoulders of his father. They carry on mixed farming, and keep quite a large number of grade cattle, also many hogs for market.
Mr. Warriner was married to Miss Abbie Walder. Besides the son mentioned above, Mr. and Mrs. Warriner are the parents of the following children: George, married, and father of two children; Roy, attending school, and Blanche, a teacher in the Franklin county schools. Mr. Warriner is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and for forty years has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and one of the earnest workers in that lodge. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
In political sentiment our subject is a strong Republican, and takes an active interest in party affairs. He has served Franklin county as sheriff for two terms, from 1900 to 1903, and in 1902 was superintendent of the county farm up to 1905. He has been a member of the school board for many years, and acted as secretary and treasurer of that body during a long period.
Among the business enterprises which contribute in a marked degree to the prosperity of Sidney, Cheyenne county, Nebraska, as a business point, the clothing and gents' furnishing goods store of Joseph Oberfelder occupies a prominent place. This is one of the best and most complete stores in this section, and the proprietor is well known to the people of the county for his honest
methods and careful attention to the needs of patrons.
Mr. Oberfelder was born in New York city, September 18, 1858. His father was a merchant there, and the family is of Bavarian stock, the father coming to America in 1830, while his mother, who was Miss Betsy Bachman, came to this country in 1834. Our subject was educated and grew up in his native city, graduating from the grammar school when he was thirteen years of age. In 1875 he came west to Omaha, and there secured a position as cashier and bookkeeper for Maxmeyer & Co., and had entire charge of the financial part of that concern. He remained there for two years, then came to Sidney and opened a store, carrying a general line of clothing, revolvers and ammunition, saddlery, pocket cutlery, blankets, chaperajos, boots, shoes, etc., also all kinds of sporting goods. He has built up a good trade and an enviable reputation as a business man, and now carries a complete stock of clothing, gents' furnishing goods and sporting goods, and is well-known throughout this section and highly esteemed for his strict integrity and industry. Mr. Oberfelder has been in business here for thirty years in all, and is the owner of valuable property in Sidney and all through Cheyenne county. He has associated with him his brother, Robert S., and the Oberfelder block in Sidney is owned by the two brothers, as is also a fine ranch near Lodgepole. They are also extensively engaged in buying all kinds of school and county warrants and municipal securities.
In 1881 our subject returned to New York city and was there married to Miss Hannah Rosenthal, daughter of Gustave Rosenthal, importer of cloths and woolens. Mrs. Oberfelder is a graduate of the grammar school in New York, and is a very estimable lady. Eight children have been born to them, named as follows; Blanche, Sidney, Lillian, Clara Belle, Arthur M., Beatrice Hazel, Irving Tobias, and Leonie, all born in Sidney.
During the time Mr. Oberfelder lived in New York city he was president and secretary of the Cooper Union Literary Class, president of the Charles Sumner Literary Union, also secretary of the Hamilton Literary Society. Since locating in Nebraska Mr. Oberfelder has been active in educational affairs, and has served as county superintendent of the public schools in Cheyenne county, from 1881 to 1883. He was mayor of Sidney from 1887 to 1889. He is a prominent member of the Masonic lodge here, Frank Welch No. 75, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Sidney Lodge 196, Ancient Order of United Workmen; Modern Woodmen of America No. 1096, and Legion of Honor. He belongs to the Mystic Legion of America, and takes an active part in the social affairs of Sidney. He is now Master Workman of the A. O. U. W. and Venerable Consul of the Modern Woodmen of American Camp. In political views he is a loyal Democrat, and is a particular friend and warm supporter of William Jennings Bryan.
JOHN F. TROXEL
John F. Troxel, deceased, was one of the very first settlers in Loup county, locating in 1879. He was born on a farm in Maryland in 1845, and was the son of John and Sophia (Wilhide) Troxel.
John F. Troxel, deceased, saw service in the civil war as a member of Company G, Third Maryland Infantry, and when the war was over he came west to Illinois, where, in 1868, he was married to Miss Mary J. Groves, a native of New York state. Her father was Jeremiah Groves, who lived and died in New York; her mother was Miss Susanna Livingston before marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Troxel had seven children: Harvey, Alice, John, George and Harry ; Annie and Ernest are deceased.
In 1869 Mr. and Mrs. Troxel came west to Saunders county, Nebraska, where they lived for ten years, and when they first came, only a few shacks could be seen. They migrated to Loup county in March, 1879, and located a homestead eleven miles up the Loup river from Taylor. They came overland in a covered wagon and were two weeks on the road. The nearest trading points were North Loup and Ord; and a little later Burwell and Seargent. Mr. Troxel's first house was a log cabin with a sod roof, and everything was of the most primitive nature.
John F. Troxel died in the fall of 1888 when the oldest boy was eighteen years of age. Mrs. Troxel, from this time on, had to take all the responsibility of looking after the farm and providing for the family. The dry years came and these were hard times for the pioneers. But Mrs. Troxel has succeeded by her good management in making a fine home and bringing the farm of three hundred and twenty acres to a high state of improvement. She has good buildings and machinery, a fine grove of forest trees and a nice bunch of cattle and other stock.
In August, 1907, Mrs. Troxel moved to Taylor and left the oldest son, Harvey, in charge of the farm.
© 2000, 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Marilyn J. Estrada, T&C Miller