the war between England and the Boers, and also the war between the Spanish nation and United States, he furnished a large number of animals for the government to be used by the soldiers. In the past twelve years Mr. Watt has bought and sold over 15,000 horses and mules, and is well known throughout the entire country for the superior quality of the animals he handles, and through his strict integrity and honest dealings has won the confidence of all classes of people with whom he deals. He has a farm of eighty acres adjoining Minden which he uses for feeding purposes, also owns 640 acres on the Platte River devoted to ranching purpose. He give his entire attention to this business, and is the largest exclusive dealer in horses and mules in western Nebraska south of the Platte River.
Mr. Watt was elected Mayor of Minden in 1903 and served his term, making a popular and efficient official. He has been Chief of Police for the last six years, and still holds this office. He is a strong advocate of temperance, and one of the foremost citizens in all matters of local importance.
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS LYON
The gentleman named above is one of the leading business men of the thriving town of Grant, in Perkins county. Mr. Lyon, as his name would indicate, is a man of patriotic spirit, untiring energy and active mind, and has done his full share toward the development of the financial interests of the community where he has spent so many years.
Mr. Lyon was born in Marion county, Ohio, in 1866, and was reared on a farm. His parents were Virginians, and his father was one of the earliest settlers in Perkins county, coming here as early as 1887, proved up on a good homestead and made it his home until his death in 1906. When our subject was five years of age the family settled in Missouri and lived there for three years, and came to Nebraska in 1875, locating in Otoe county, south of Nebraska City, where they were among the pioneer settlers. There Mr. Lyon grew to manhood, becoming familiar with every phase of frontier life. He had a common school education, spending his entire time on his father's homestead, and at the age of about sixteen located in what is now Perkins county, spending three or four years there, and in the summer of '86 went into Colorado with a party of surveyors, and was in that vicinity for three years, two years for the B. & M. Railroad and one year for the Union Pacific, roughing it most of the time, spending many nights camping out on the plains in all kinds of severe weather, winter and summer. During the winter of 1888 he returned to Perkins county, and opened up a butcher shop in Grant, which he ran for a short time, then started in the draying and livery business, also was engaged in the implement and flour business, in which he worked up a good trade in short time. He also bought and sold hogs and cattle through the country during the hard times in the "'90's," (sic) continuing in the above lies up to 1901, then sold out all his enterprises and purchased his present store which was then but a small establishment. He put in a general line of goods, handling all kinds of merchandise, and has built up a good business throughout the surrounding country. He has two buildings, one of which is 22x110, and the other 22x50 ft., and conducts one of the finest and largest stores of its kind in Perkins county,. He is a thorough business man, of splendid ability, and is making a success of his work.
In 1892 Mr. Lyon married Miss Grace C. Hull, daughter of Milton B. Hull, a pioneer settler of Perkins county. To them were born four children, Fay, Estelle, Bruce and Cecil, and Mrs. Lyon died in the fall of 1907.
Mr. Lyon is a Democrat and takes an active part in local affairs.
ALLEN W. SKIDMORE
Allan W. Skidmore, a native of Indiana, was born on a farm in Brown county December 2, 1862. His father, John Skidmore, was a farmer by occupation and died in Piatt county, Illinois, about 1878. His mother, who was a Mrs. Maris at the time she married Mr. Skidmore, was Miss Thamar Lane in maidenhood; she came to Keith county in pioneer days, secured a homestead and died here in 1902.
Our subject was reared on an Illinois farm in Piatt county and was educated in the common schools. In 1886 he came west to Ogallala, Nebraska, taking a homestead 45 miles south of that city in Chase county. Here he put up a sod shanty, in which he made his home for a number of years. He had but a little to start with, having no team for nearly three years. He worked out at times and did the best he could with his limited means for seven years when he proved up on his homestead. He experienced very hard times during seven years. His crops were either very poor or total failures and he was obliged to
turn his hand to almost anything in order to make a living. In 1904 he sold his Chase county land, came to Keith county and settled five miles west of Ogallala, purchasing his mother's old homestead, of 160 acres. He has succeeded in his farming and has also been successfully engaged in stock raising. He has excellent improvements and is rated among the well-to-do old settlers of this part of the state. He also owns property in the city of Ogallala, where he lives part of the time in order that his children may have the advantage of better schools.
Mr. Skidmore and Miss Rose Mossberger were united in marriage March 2, 1890. Mrs. Skidmore is a daughter of Issac and Barbara (Landis) Mossberger, influential old settlers of Chase county. Mr. and Mrs. Skidmore have been blessed with seven children; Goldie, Harry, Ethel, Ruth, George and Boyd; the first-born died unnamed.
When Mr. Skidmore reached Ogallala he was in very poor circumstances, his entire capital being $70. But he has been thrifty and industrious and energetic and has attained a fine success, building up a farm and home that bring him comfort and a good competency. Mr. Skidmore has been active in politics, affiliating with the Republican party. For two terms he was city Marshall of the city of Ogallala. He has been deeply interested in the development of the schools of the county; he served as school director for a long time. He is a man of strong character and wields a good influence in the community in which he lives.
JOSEPH E. WEST
Joseph E. West resides in Rushville, Sheridan county, Nebraska. He was born in Jefferson county, New York, in 1838, and is a son of Eliab West, who was in the hardware business in the village of Mansville. There was a family of nine children, and our subject was the third member. They came to Wisconsin where the family were pioneer settlers when he was nine years old. Here he was raised, and in 1860 moved to Iowa and settled near Council Bluffs. He began working at freighting, traveling from there to Denver in 1861 and continued at this work up to 1865. Our subject was one of those who helped build the Union Pacific railroad through the western part of Nebraska.
In 1880 Mr. West went to the central part of the state when he engaged in sheep raising, but met with much bad luck and after suffering heavy losses, 5000 sheep dying in one year, he was obliged to quit the business as he had lost everything he had. He came to Sheridan county in 1889, entering the government Indian service, which subsequently brought him to Rushville, and remained in that work for eight years here. He had charge of the supplies which were shipped here for the Indians, and became thoroughly familiar with methods of dealing with those people and made an efficient and faithful employe (sic) of the government. After leaving the employ of the U. S. government he went into the hotel business, and continued at this for six years, running the Commercial House at Rushville. Since closing this out he has been engaged in the real estate business, and in 1904 established the bargain store which he now operates. He has built up a good trade and enjoys a wide patronage from all over this section of the country. Mr. West also owns a large ranch located two miles east of Rushville, containing 1,600 acres, and here he does farming and stock raising, which nets him a fine income. He is counted among the pioneers of this state, and has taken a prominent part in the history of this section from the start. He made twenty-four trips across Nebraska to Denver and Salt Lake City in the early days. He has sold many sacks of flour in the west receiving in payment for this $100 in gold dust, for a hundred pound sack of flour. He at one time owned a freighting outfit of wagons, teams, etc., and had a party of one hundred and ten men working under him. Many times there were fierce Indian fights which our subject witnessed, and he spent years in dealing with these dangerous people, at some times being obliged to station ten men as guards on outpost duty. Many trips were made when the redskins were on the warpath, and at different times he had some exciting skirmishes with them.
In 1858 Mr. West married Miss Martha A Lonsworth, of French-Canadian descent.
M. N. HOLCOMBE
The subject of this review has for many
years past resided in Lincoln county, Nebraska, and during this
time has acquired a fine property and built up a comfortable home
as a result of his industry and good management. He is widely
known in his locality and held in the highest esteem as a citizen
of true worth. A portrait of him will be found on another
Holcombe, who was a prominent physician of Haralson county, Georgia, and also practised (sic) in Blount county, Alabama, whose death occurred during the civil war. The Holcombes were early settlers in Virginia. Our subject's mother was Miss Sarah Adams of Carroll county, Georgia. They were of a proud old southern family, and three brothers fought and died in the service of the confederacy. The family originally came from North Carolina, and settled in Georgia in the pioneer days of that state when Indians were still in the country. Our subject came to Nebraska in 1875, working for the U. P. railroad in the vicinity of North Platte. He was employed by the railroad as foreman of the track repair department for the Mountain division west of North Platte, between there and Sidney, and was in this position for a period of nine years. At the end of this time he retired from the service of the road and went on a ranch of about 2,000 acres. This was in 1887, where he engaged in the stock business. He formerly owned 4, 400 acres of land here, but disposed of over 2,000 acres, and runs about five hundred head of cattle. In past years his herd numbered from six to eight hundred head, and he has always been very successful in this work. He has done his part in the upbuilding of the county, and always takes a commendable interest in everything that tends to advance the commercial and educational matters of the locality in which he resides. He was for five years commissioner of Keith county, Nebraska, and afterwards held the office of county treasurer of Lincoln county, being elected in 1898, serving one term, but refused the re-election.
Mr. Holcombe married Miss Lulu Steele, Dec. 28, 1877, daughter of John and Nancy Honge Steele, natives of Georgia. Her ancestors on both sides were pioneer settlers in that state, serving in the revolutionary war, and in the civil war, always being prominent in public affairs. Mr. and Mrs. Holcombe have six children, who are named as follows: John, who is manager of one of the leading jewelry establishments in Haywards, California; Robert, engaged in the ranching business near Maxwell, Nebraska; Albert, attending school at Virginia City, Nevada; Steele and Edith, also at school; and Mrs. Salena Lowden, residing in North Platte.
Mr. Holcombe is manager of a large ranch of 5,600 acres located just north of his own ranch. This place is owned by the Honorable J. A. Van Arsdale, Ex-Assistant Attorney General of the U. S. at Washington, D. C., now Judge of Appeals of District of Columbia. On this ranch they run from five to seven hundred and fifty head of cattle, and Mr. Holcombe has successfully managed this extensive property in addition to his own large interests, for the past seventeen years.
Mr. Holcombe takes a commendable interest in all public affairs, and is active in advancing the commercial and educational matters in his locality. He has served on the school board for six years in the Brady district. He is a prominent member of the order of the Maccabees and also a Modern Woodman.
GEORGE E. MORGAN
George E. Morgan, an enterprising and prosperous agriculturist of Deuel county, Nebraska, resides on section 5, township 22, range 44, where he has built up a comfortable home and valuable estate during the time he has spent in this locality.
Mr. Morgan was born in Clinton county, Iowa, in 1858, and raised on his father's farm in that locality. He is a son of Samuel Morgan, of English birth, who was raised in that country and came to America in the thirties. They were the parents of twelve children, the second youngest being our subject, who started in for himself at the age of sixteen years, beginning at farm work which he followed for three years. He then started to learn the blacksmith's trade, and after mastering this continued in it for five years in the vicinity of his father's home. He then took a farm in Crawford county, Iowa, remaining on that up to 1886, when he moved to Hay Springs, Nebraska, and took a pre-emption located seven miles southeast of that place. Then he bought a relinquishment and as the place was utterly without improvements was obliged to go to work building a set of farm buildings, fences, etc., During the years 1887 and '88 his crops did not come up to his expectations so he decided to go to the sand hills and start in the stock business, as he did not think he could make any money in farming in that locality. When he landed in Hay Springs he had very little money, but he had gotten together some stock and added improvements so was able to sell his farm for $400 and this he put into stock after locating here. He brought three cows and four calves with him and kept buying more as he was able, so his herd kept increasing and he did well from the first. There were no settlers in this locality when the family moved here, and the town of Lakeside was then nothing but a side station, and the only store
was in a box car. He took a homestead in section 5, township 22, range 44, and still occupies this farm. For a time he had plenty of hay land and range for his stock, and he now owns 640 acres of deeded land, including 480 acres of Kinkaid homestead. On his ranch he runs 430 head of cattle and fifty-two horses, also quite a number of sheep. He devotes all his attention to stock raising and has never broken any land on the place except for a garden for home supply. He and his family lived in a sod house up to 1904, when he built a comfortable frame house, the timber for which was hauled from Lakeside, a distance of twelve and one half miles. Mr. Morgan thinks that he is much better off here than he would have been had he stayed on the table land, and the entire family is satisfied to remain here where they have such a pleasant home and comfortable surroundings.
Mr. Morgan's family consists of his wife, (who was Miss Emmaline Welch, born of Irish parents,) and their three children, namely: Charlotte, Estella and Theresa, two of whom are married. Mr. Morgan has done his share in developing this section of the country and advancing the commercial and agricultural interests. He is a Republican and always votes that ticket, but never takes any part in party politics, preferring to let the other fellow do the talking.
WILLIAM A. DANLEY
It is not necessary to introduce the gentleman above named to the people of Dawes county, as he has been a resident of this region since its earliest settlement and has become widely known as a man of active public spirit who has always given his best efforts to aid in the development of the agricultural and commercial interests of his county. Mr. Danley resides in Chadron, where he is engaged in the bakery business, and occupies a pleasant home with his family, highly respected by all with whom he has to do.
Mr. Danley was born in Danvers, McLean county, Illinois, in 1860. He is a son of Samuel Danley, of American stock, and father and son were born in the same house, the Danleys having occupied the old homestead for a great many years. Our subject was raised and educated in his native state, attending school at Princeton, Illinois. When he was nineteen years of age he came with his parents to Nebraska, settling in Niobrara, Knox county. He worked on the railroad, helping to grade the road from O'Neill to Buffalo Gap. He afterwards spent two years at Valentine and Fort Niobrara, he and his father working together all the time. In 1884 he came to Chadron where he worked at freighting and grading, roughing it all over this region. For two years he lived in tents, camping out through all kinds of rough weather and became thoroughly familiar with the whole country. He saw the first houses ever put up in Atkinson, Stuart, Long Pine and Ainsworth, and distinctly remembers when the whole region was practically nothing but a wilderness, wild game of all sorts roaming the plains. He took up government land at Chadron and remained until he proved up on it, and then was for three years engaged in the milk business here. He went out of that and opened a hardware store which he ran for two years. After that he was appointed assistant postmaster and served in that capacity for four years. He established his present business, consisting of bakery and confectionery goods, in 1900, and built up a good business, but sold it out in June, 1907. He was appointed postmaster June 11, 1907, and was re-appointed December 9, 1907, at Chadron, Nebraska.
Mr. Danley was married in Chadron in 1888, to Miss Jennie Hollenbeck, daughter of John Hollenbeck, who was among the early settlers of Dawes county. Mr. and Mrs. Danley have one son, Neil, born in 1898.
Mr. Danley is a Republican and takes an active interest in local party affairs, lending his influence at all times for good government.
DR. NICHOLAS MCCABE
Dr. Nicholas McCabe, mayor of North Platte, Nebraska, is one of the influential and prosperous citizens of Lincoln county. He is a physician of note and a skillful surgeon, also the proprietor of one of the leading drug establishments of North Platte.
Dr. McCabe is a native of Ireland and came to this country in his boyhood. He received his preliminary education at St. Joseph's College at Buffalo, New York, and later obtained his M. D. degree from the University of Buffalo. In 1886 he came to North Platte and began the practice of medicine, and since that time has resided here continuously and has built up a large practice and also has gained the confidence and esteem of the people among whom he has chosen his home. He has been surgeon for the Union Pacific Railroad for the past ten years. About 1891 he established the North Platte Pharmacy, of which he was sole
proprietor until 1908, when he sold half interest to Edgar Schiller, and the new firm is conducted under the name of Schiller & Company. Dr. McCabe has invested considerably in farming lands in this county, and is the owner of 3,000 acres of land, 1,100 acres of which is farming land; he also has a large herd of stock on this farm. One feature about Dr. McCabe's farm is that it is mostly all irrigated, 700 acres is watered by the regular irrigation process, 200 acres of which are watered by a ditch which was dug by the Doctor himself and is called the McCabe Irrigation Canal, and the other 500 acres being under the "Birdwood Irrigation District."
In 1906 Dr. McCabe was elected Mayor of North Platte, on a ticket pledged to municipal ownership in buying out the private company that owns the water works plant here. He was reelected for three consecutive terms, the last one by a majority of two to one in the face of a bitter attack made upon him by his political enemies. Politically he is an Independent Democrat.
Dr. McCabe is a man of broad mind, and has always taken a commendable interest in local public affairs and assisted in the upbuilding of the city and county and every public enterprise tending to the advancement of the better interests of the community in which he resides.
JOHN ROSS LELACHEUR
John Ross LeLacheur, who resides in section 29, township 26, range 32, Cherry county, Nebraska, has a valuable estate which he has gained by industry and good management. He was born in Delaware county, Iowa, in 1876, on a farm.
Elisha LeLacheur, the father of our subject, was a native of Prince Edward Island, born in 1831, and came of French parentage. He grew up in that country and came to America with his parents when he was a lad of eleven, the family settling in Iowa, and he attended the country schools in Delaware county, and was married there in 1863 to Mary J. Bliss, of English and Yankee stock, the mother now residing in Mullen. John Ross LeLacheur was one of four children in his father's family, named as follows; Phoebe E., Frank W., John R. and Wm. H., and he was the third member in order of birth. In 1882 our subject moved to Nebraska, driving from Iowa with a team and covered wagon, bringing with them a yoke of oxen and three horses, also three colts. The trip was a hard and tedious one, they being obliged to camp out at night, but they came through with no serious drawbacks, and after arriving in Nebraska settled in Nance county, where they lived for four years, then came to Cherry county and settled on a ranch situated eleven miles northwest of Mullen. There their first dwelling was a tent, in which they lived during the first summer. Storms and hail literally tore the tent to pieces in a few months, and they were obliged to build a sod house before the rough weather came on in the fall, and also built a hen house of sod, barns and sheds for their stock. They had hard times at first, but gradually kept improving the place and tried to farm, but lost several crops during the dry years, and had bad luck. On October 23, 1894, the father died as a result of an accident. He was helping fight a prairie fire and was so badly burned that he only survived his wounds eighteen hours. On January 1, 1901, the old ranch homestead building caught fire and burned to the ground. One son, William, and his family occupied the dwelling at the time, and his wife was awakened at four o'clock in the morning by the smell of smoke, found the house on fire and they barely escaped from the burning building with their lives. As it was, William's hair was badly singed and his night clothes were nearly burned off his body. His wife and their child were almost caught in the fire, but managed to escape without serious harm. This put an end to occupying the old ranch house, but the place is still used as a summer pasture for stock.
In 1899 our subject went on a ranch of his own, which was situated in section 29, township 26, range 32. He had been married in December of the year previous, to Maggie Stevenson, daughter of Frank Stevenson, an old settler in western Nebraska. Mrs. LeLacheur's mother was prior to her marriage, Miss Adelaide Allen, born in Pine Grove, Warren county, Pennsylvania. The young couple at once started out to build up a good home together, and worked hard and faithfully to accomplish that end, and have succeeded in a marked degree. Mr. LeLacheur is now the owner of a fine ranch of 640 acres, all of which is fenced and improved with good buildings, and he is extensively engaged in the stock raising business, also farming quite a portion of the place. He has two children, Clyde and Ross.
One brother, William, also owns a good ranch of 640 acres, which he established in 1900, and is located in sections 26 and 27, township 25, range 32, this being the property of his wife, who acquired it through homestead rights. She was Miss Anna Gibson, daughter
of Alexander Gibson, an old settler in McPherson county, Nebraska, and her mother's maiden name was Ellen Morrison. Two boys have been born to William Horton LeLacheur and his good wife, namely; Ralph and Earl.
The LeLacheur family was among the first to settle in this part of Cherry county, coming here when there were but two houses in the entire neighborhood in which they located. Each has done his full share in the upbuilding of the region, and take leading parts in the community. During the early days the subject of this review and his brother Frank, captured two deer and tamed them so that they became household pets, but during the severe hail storms that swept the country and destroyed the tent in which they lived, these animals were killed, and the entire family were as much grieved by their loss as they were at the serious property loss which they suffered.
JOHN H. EVANS
Among the professional men of Thomas county, Nebraska, an able representative is found in the person of the gentleman above named, one of the most widely known attorneys and public spirited citizens of the region. He is a gentleman of superior attainments mentally, broad minded and thorough practical training, and by unbending integrity and faithful performance of duty, has built up an enviable reputation as an exemplary citizen.
John H. Evans was born near Burlington, Iowa, March 21, 1851. His father, Robert A. Evans, was a farmer by occupation, and was commissioned a Lieutenant in the 38th Regiment of the Indiana State Militia by Noah Noble, Governor of the State, in 1836, which place he held until he removed to Iowa, ten years later. The grandfather and an uncle of our subject, were soldiers in the war of 1812, and one uncle was drowned in the Platte River, near where Papillion, Nebraska, now stands, in 1836, while a Major in the U. S. Dragoon service. John's mother was Elizabeth Shoemaker, and his grandfather Henry Shoemaker, was a soldier under Gen. George Washington, participating in the "Whiskey Insurrection."
In May, 1851, John's parents removed to Winterset, Iowa, where he was engaged in working on a farm and attending the common schools, and later the High School. He then commenced the study of law, under the direction of Gilpin Brothers, and later under Gen. Polk, one time Attorney General of Kentucky, and later Dean of the College of Law of St. Joseph, Mo. After completing his law studies, he engaged with a brother in the publication of a newspaper, and has been engaged in conducting a paper at Ord, Taylor and Thedford, Nebraska. While at Taylor, Nebraska, he was admitted to the bar, taking up a homestead near that place, and remained in that locality for about six years. He came to Thedford in 1890 and opened up a law office, was elected County Attorney, and has served in that capacity for sixteen years. He was also County Attorney of Hooker county for three years, and is now serving Grant county in the same capacity. All of his time has been devoted to the practice of his profession except a brief interval, while engaged in newspaper work. He has been prominently connected with numerous celebrated law cases, among them the trial of Michael Yoakum for the murder of Lincoln Downing in Blaine county in 1887, in which legal contest his address to the jury in behalf of the defendant was a marvel of pathos and which won for his client a verdict of not guilty. In the following year he was attorney for Wm. Croughwell, on a charge of sodomy in Richardson county, this being one of the most notorious cases in that part of the state. He is a brilliant orator and one of the most successful lawyers in the state.
Mr. Evans has been an attorney for the C. B. & O. Railroad for fourteen years past and has carried to a successful termination many suits for the company. He has been identified with every measure calculated to promote the interest of his county, holding office nearly all the time he has resided in the region. He has been a delegate to the National Irrigation Congress, a member of the National Institute of Farmers, and delegate to the Farmers' National Congress.
In 1877 our subject was married to Miss Lusetta J. Norris, daughter of Alfred Norris, Esq., a well known farmer and public spirited citizen of Winterset, Iowa. They have four children, as follows: Alice G., wife of C. C. McKay, now living at Oakland, Cal.; Theron E., a prominent young ranchman of the county; Mabel J., and Ivan D. who are at home.
FRED A GAPEN
Fred A. Gapen, a prominent business man of Sidney, Nebraska, is classed among the pioneer settlers of that section. He is owner and editor of The Telegraph, a leading newspaper of Cheyenne county, and was born in Bloomington, McLean county, Illinois, in 1870, where
he grew up attending the common schools there. When he was sixteen years of age he commenced work at the printer's trade, and has since followed that business, coming to Sidney in 1894, where he has lived continuously ever since.
The Telegraph was the first paper in the county, having been founded by L. Connell in 1873, and purchased in December, 1875, by J. B. Gossage. In January, 1876, G. B. Darrow was admitted as partner, and in '79 it was sold to a stock company with Brainard & McNulty as editors. In 1880 James McNulty took control, continuing up to March, 1881, when the paper was sold to A. C. Drake, then the editor of The Plaindealer, the two papers consolidating under the name of the Plaindealer-Telegraph. After Mr. Drake's death, his wife ran the paper until 1882, when it was purchased by J. C. Bush, and in 1885 the name was changed back to The Telegraph. In '86 a half interest was purchased by C. C. Callahan, the firm name being Bush & Callahan. In September 1888, C. C. Callahan assumed control and installed Frank J. Devlin as editor. In February, 1889, Mr. Devlin retired and A. C. Jordan took his place and the following May his place was in turn filled by W. W. Robertson. In September of the same year W. A. Scott became editor. In November Mr. Scott retired and J. L. Pennington, Jr., assumed editorial charge, giving way in April, 1890, to J. F. Wellington. In May, 1890, Mr. Callahan sold The Telegraph to Messrs. L. B. Cary and Otis D. Lyon, with Mr. Cary as editor, and in May, '94, James McMullan purchased the paper and continued it up to January, 1895, when it was re-purchsed by C. C. Callahan, who has continued it since. In August, '98, Fred A. Gapen was installed as local editor and manager. On February 1, 1899, The Sidney Telegraph and People's Poniard were consolidated. In May, 1902, Fred A. Gapen purchased the paper, and he is still sole owner and editor. He has a complete job printing outfit and makes a specialty of that work, having made that a specialty while learning his trade as a young man.
The Telegraph has a wide circulation, and is a splendid and thoroughly reliable organ.
C. L. MAYES
C. L. Mayes, one of the prominent citizens
of Rushville, Nebraska, is editor and proprietor of the Rushville
Standard, a leading newspaper of that thriving town. A
portrait of Mr. Mayes is presented on another page of this
Mr. Mayes was married in 1888 to Miss Olive Richards, born at Hazel Green, Wisconsin, in 1870, of English parents. To Mr. and Mrs. Mayes have come four children, named as follows: Ralph, Halford, Harold, and Mildred. Mr. Mayes is one of the leading citizens of his community, active in all affairs of local interest. During the past year he has purchased the Rushville Telephone Exchange which he is conducting in connection with his newspaper business.
C. W. BARNES & E. J. MITCHELL
The above firm are the well known and popular editors and publishers of The Republican, a leading newspaper of McCook, Nebraska, which has a large circulation all over this section of the state. Both Mr. Barnes and Mr.
Mitchell are pioneer newspaper men of Redwillow county, having in the early days in Nebraska published papers at Indianola, which was then the county seat. Mr. Barnes purchased The McCook Democrat in 1890, and Mr. Mitchell moved the Indianola Courier to McCook in 1896. January 1, 1902, the two plants were consolidated under the name of The McCook Republican, a home paper devoted to upholding the principles of that party, and since that time have made a marked success.
Jacob Kass, of the firm of Kass & Klingaman, dealers in lumber, lime, cement, plaster and all kinds of building material, coal, wood and posts, of Chadron, Nebraska, is one of the oldest settlers in that section who has watched the growth and aided in the development of the region from its start. Mr. Kass has always been one of the foremost men in advancing the interests of his community, and enjoys an enviable reputation as a business man and worthy citizen.
Mr. Kass was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in 1855. Both his father and mother were natives of Luxemburg, (sic) Germany, the former being a blacksmith by trade who followed that work in this country for many years. He settled in Wisconsin after landing in America, and then moved to Illinois in 1856, where his family was reared. When he was twenty-one years of age he struck out for himself, coming to the Black Hills, traveling by way of Yankton and Pierre, and remained in the hills up to 1885, going through all the rough experience of a frontierman's existence, part of the time engaged in mining, ranching, etc. For a time he clerked in a hardware store in Deadwood, then came to old Chadron and opened one of the first stores in the place, carrying a stock of $5,000. In August, 1885, he settled in the new town of Chadron, and went into the hardware business, continuing in it for six years. He next went into the plumbing business in partnership with Fred Poll, who had come here with him from the Black Hills, and together they carried on the business for a time, and in addition to this had a furniture store which he ran for two years. About this time he became interested in politics, and devoted considerable time to public affairs, and in 1898 was appointed deputy county treasurer, serving for two years. In 1899 he was elected treasurer by the Democratic party, served his term and re-elected in 1901. He has always been a strong advocate of Democratic party principles, and attended numerous conventions of both county and state, and is well known as one of the most active politicians in his section of the state.
In 1895 our subject was married to Mrs. Kittie Oswald, a widow with one son, Harold, and the family occupy a pleasant and comfortable home in Chadron, and enjoy a large circle of friends.
DRS. J. B. SUMNER AND WIFE ELLA SUMNER
The gentleman and his wife whose names head this review are well known to the residents of Franklin county and the surrounding country, and have each met with remarkable success in the practice of their chosen profession. They have built up a large and lucrative practice throughout the locality in which they have resided since 1882, and have gained the confidence and esteem of the people among whom they have labored for so many years. Dr. Sumner is a native of New Hampshire, born near Concord, in 1847, and his wife of Essex, New York, 1860. He is a graduate of the University of Vermont, class of '78, and for some years practiced in the east, before locating in Nebraska. He received his earlier education at Williams College, Massachusetts. In 1882 Dr. Sumner came to Bloomington and opened an office, and has practiced here continuously since that time with the exception of the years 1884 to 1887, which he spent in Lincoln, Nebraska. He is physician for the C. B. & Q. railway, and an active member of the County, Republican Valley & State Medical Associations, a Mason and member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Dr. Sumner is a man of active public spirit, although his work does not allow of his accepting office. He is a Democrat, and in close tough with many prominent public men of his state. Dr. Ella Sumner shares with her husband in the good opinion of the public as to her ability as a physician and professional woman. She is a lady of superior intellectual powers and high attainments in her line of work. Mrs. Sumner is a graduate of the Medical Department, Nebraska University, of the Class of 1895, and since her start has had a large practice. Her preliminary education was received at Burlington, Vermont, where she graduated from both high school and academy. Mrs. Sumner has been coroner of Franklin county for several terms, and is the first lady to hold this position in the United States,
which fact attracted considerable attention from all parts of the country. She is a capable person for the position, and she is wonderfully well adapted to work of that nature.
The Drs. Sumner are both members of the County Medical Association, also the State and American Medical Associations. Dr. Ella Sumner has served as President of the County Medical Association and also Vice-President of the Republican Valley Association. The Drs. Sumner are owners of a drug store in Bloomington, which is managed by J. B. Sumner, Jr.
GEORGE O. REMY, M. D.
The gentleman whose name heads this review is one of the well known physicians and skilful (sic) practitioners in Brown county, Nebraska, residing in Ainsworth, where he has built up an enviable reputation as a worthy citizen.
Dr. Remy was born in New Hope, Bartholomew county, Indiana, October 1, 1851. His father, John T. Remy, was an old settler in that county; he was of French origin, his ancestors coming to this country in colonial days. Our subject's mother was Miss Nancy Jones, born in Virginia, her parents being natives of Wales. Dr. Remy was reared on a farm and educated in the country schools, attending the Baptist college at Franklin, Indiana, in his young manhood. In 1872 he began the study of medicine, attending school during the winters and farming through the summer. He also taught school in addition to pursuing his studies, and followed this for three years, and in 1875 and '76 he attended the Indiana Medical College located at Indianapolis, followed by a year at the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, graduating in the spring of 1877; he immediately took up the practice of medicine at Waymansville in his native state, where he was located until the spring of 1884 when he came west with his family, locating at Ainsworth, where he practiced his profession up to 1892. The following year he spent in eastern Nebraska, but returned to Ainsworth in 1901, and has resided here continuously ever since. In July, 1905, he became interested in the newspaper business, and associated himself with J. M. Cotton, proprietor of the Ainsworth Star-Journal, - whose sketch appears in this volume on another page, - and is at present connected with that work. On June 11, 1906, he purchased an interest in a drug store with W. F. Smith, a business enjoying a wide patronage all over the country.
Dr. Remy was married in May, 1871, to Miss Maggie Barrett, a native of Bartholomew county, Indiana, whose parents are prominent residents and well known all over the locality in which they live. Dr. and Mrs. Remy have two children, namely; Nannie, wife of J. M. Cotton, and Charles E., attending the medical department of the State University at Lincoln.
Dr. Remy is familiar with the early history of the state of Nebraska, and during the early days passed through many interesting experiences. He is a man thoroughly conversant with the important affairs of the times, and a man of great intelligence and capability in any direction. Independent in politics he casts his ballot for the man he believes to be best suited to the office. Fraternally he affiliates with the Masons, the Woodmen and the Tribe of Ben Hur at Ainsworth.
BOYD K. BOYER
In mentioning the name of Boyd K. Boyer, we present the reader of this volume with one of the well-known family of Boyers, who are among the prominent old settlers of western Nebraska.
Mr. Boyer was born in Grayson county, Virginia, in 1872, and grew up there with his brothers. His parents were Hugh and Margarett (James) Boyer, whose names appear in this book as leading citizens of their respective townships. When Boyd reached the age of eleven years he came to Nebraska, spending the first two years in Madison county. In 1887 he moved to Cherry county, accompanied by his father, and there helped to establish a home and ranch. In the spring of 1898, he started for himself, filing on a homestead in township 25, range 32, and in due time proved up on the place, remaining on it up to 1903, then moved to his present homestead, consisting of 800 acres, located in section 8, township 25, range 32. Here he has improved his ranch in good shape, and through hard work and perseverance has accumulated a valuable property. During the first few years in this locality he went through hard times, losing several crops by drouth, (sic) and met with many discouragements, suffering hardships and privation in getting his ranch started. After a time, by careful management and faithful labor he saved a little money and got a start in the cattle business, so that he is now well-to-do, and owns one of the best ranches in his vicinity, all of his land being a good range and farming country.
© 2000, 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Marilyn J. Estrada, T&C Miller