every way. In early life Mr. Wallin was an upholsterer by trade and he has followed that business more or less in this country, for some time being engaged thereat in Denver, Colorado.
March 12, 1881, in New York City, Mr. Wallin and Miss Charlotte Lindberg were married. She was a native of Sweden and came to America in August, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Wallin have six children, all at home: Ernest, Prince, Morgan, Hulda, Alfred and Herbert. The parents of Mr. and Mrs. Wallin are all dead. Of two children in his father's family, our subject is the sole survivor.
Mr. E. G. Wallin has taken an active part in the local political matters of his community and is an advocate of the principles of the Republican party. He has been county assessor of Kimball county several different times and is regarded as a safe and capable official. He knows well by experience the hardships of the early days in this western country, and many times his good wife had the care of the place alone while he worked out. Many times she was forced to buy water and get wood from the timber. They had no team and much credit is due Mrs. Wallin as well as our subject for the success they have attained.
Rev. John A. Scamahorn, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of Gordon, is among the well known ministers of this part of the state of Nebraska. He has traveled over most of the state in an official capacity, and has gained a host of friends, highly esteemed by all.
Rev. Scamahorn was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, September 25, 1831. His father, Rev. Jacob Scamahorn, was a minister in the United Brethren Church for forty years, also a native of Ohio, of Holland Dutch extraction, the Scamahorn family having settled in New York in 1600. Our subject's mother was of Irish descent, and he was the second child in their family of three. His parents moved to Indiana in 1850, and settled in Spencer county. He began working on a farm during his young manhood days, and in 1861 enlisted in Company C, 42nd Indiana Volunteers, as a private, and with his regiment was ordered south, serving in the Army of the Cumberland. He followed a soldier's life for four years, and was in many skirmishes and saw hard service. He was all through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama, was captured at Stone River, Tenn. and afterwards exchanged. Was in the battle of Chickamauga, taken prisoner and held for fifteen months, but managed to escape from prison and rejoin his regiment. He was promoted from private to orderly sergeant, then lieutenant, then became captain of his company and later major. After the war had closed and he had received an honorable discharge, he entered the Hartsville University and spent one year and then was licensed as a minister in the United Brethren Church, serving with them for two years. He was elected to the Indiana Legislature from Spencer county, serving one term, from 1866 to 1868. In 1870 he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has served a total of thirty-nine years in the ministry. He held several important charges in the Indiana conference. In 1884 he came to Nebraska at the head of a colony of 105 people from Indiana, settling in the vicinity of Gordon, Sheridan county, and soon afterwards organized the first Methodist Episcopal society in northwestern Nebraska, filling a number of charges in that part of the state, also serving as presiding elder in the Chadron district of the Northwestern Nebraska Conference. In 1903 he took his superannuated relation in the conference, but still does a great deal of active work for the church. He was one of those who took an active part in the settlement of Gordon in the early days, and named the town, having been its first postmaster.
Rev. Scamahorn was married in 1853 to Miss Margaretta McCollum, who died during the civil war. They had three children but none lived. through their infancy. He was married the second time in 1866 to Mrs. Mary C. Radcliff, whose husband was killed in the battle of Chickamauga.
The gentleman herein named occupies a foremost place among the prominent citizens of Brown County, Nebraska. Mr. Miller is an old settler in this vicinity, and here he has become well known for his square dealing in a business way and by devoting many years of his life to his work, he well merits the success which he has attained. Mr. Miller was born in Union county, Indiana, August 12, 1834. His father, Martin Miller, was of mixed nationality, American born, settling in Indiana with his parents when he was but ten years old. Our subject's mother, whose maiden
name was Cassandra Yeaman, was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1805 of American stock; she become the mother of seven boys, of whom Horace Greeley is the fourth in order of birth. He was reared in the county in which he was born, attending the public schools and in his boyhood years became accustomed to hard farm work, going through many pioneer experiences even at that time. He learned the miller's trade when a young man, following in the footsteps of his father with whom he entered into partnership in the business. continuing together until 1864. From that time to 1871 our subject ran the business alone, and then selling the mill, came to Hebron, Thayer county, Nebraska, there engaging in the same vocation. In 1874 he witnessed the grasshopper raids in that region through which he met with heavy losses. He afterwards built several mills for different parties in that vicinity, doing his share in the building up of the country.
In the fall of 1875 he spent some time in Nuckolls county, where he conducted a store at Spring Valley, now Hardy Station, on the Union Pacific; thence he moved to Brown county in 1882, driving across country by team, he and his family camping out on the way in a tent, driving a few head of cattle with them. He located at the junction of Bone and Pine creeks, built a dugout and log cabin combined, in which they lived up to 1896, when it was destroyed by fire. In 1885 he began the erection of a burr-mill, which in 1891 he remodeled and improved, installing the roller system, now making patent flour. He also runs a saw mill in connection, running both by water power from Pine creek in which he has a good dam.
In 1882 Miller took up a homestead in section 5, township 31, range 20, the tract on which the mill stands, and engaged in grain and stock raising, at both of which he has made a success. When he first reached Brown county, his capital was seventy-five dollars in money, his household goods and a few head of stock. Mr. Miller has been a pioneer in several states, always pushing out to the borders of civilization.
Mr. Miller was married February 7, 1861, to Miss Barbara E. Miller, of American stock, born in Union county, Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have a family of seven children of whom three are living: Winfield S., Minnie, wife of Alonzo S.Barker, farming near Mr. Miller's place, and Moulton. While living in Nuckolls county, Mr. Miller took quite an active part in politics, and served as county commissioner for three years. In establishing the postoffice of Winfield to accommodate the neighborhood surrounding the mill, Mr. Miller was appointed postmaster, an office he efficiently fills. He is Republican in political faith.
A picture of Mr. Miller's residence and the
mill will be found elsewhere in this volume.
Among the early settlers in western Nebraska who have watched the growth and aided in the development of this region from its start, the gentleman above named holds a first place. Mr. Lindberg lives on section 2, township 34. range 33, Cherry county, where he has built up a good home and farm, and is recognized as one of the leading citizens of his community.
Mr. Lindberg was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, August 30, 1859, son of Peter Lindberg, a harness maker by trade, and the youngest of a family of five children. He grew up in his native town, and at the age of eighteen went to sea, sailing to England, and afterwards made a trip all through Europe. He had learned his father's trade and worked at that from time to time. In 1878 he came to America, sailing from Liverpool in the steamship Baltic, landing in Portland, Maine, and from there came west stopping at Omaha where he worked for a few months, then began work on the railroad south from that city, He next went to Chicago and remained for five years teaming there; later he was employed in Boston, Philadelphia and Hoboken, New Jersey. In 1887 he enlisted in the United States army at Park Row, New York City, and assigned to Company A, Eighth Infantry, serving at Fort Niobrara for a time. During the Indian outbreak at Pine Ridge in 1891, he was with his regiment there and also at Rosebud, Wounded Knee, and Fort McKinley, Wyoming, receiving an honorable discharge June 26, 1891, having marched one hundred and sixty miles through the mountains, often camping in the snow.
Mr. Lindberg had married prior to his discharge and on his return from the army rented garden ground near Hanson's bridge, east of Valentine, which was not profitable. He then rented a farm for two years in Nenzel precinct and in 1901 filed on a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, since then taking up his additional four hundred and eighty acres. Mrs. Lindberg, prior to her marriage, had taken up a timber claim on which the family now resides. During the first years he worked on the section to support his family, and saw many hard times, but conditions have improved and they are now
independent. He has been successful since starting here,
gradually adding to his land until he is now proprietor of eight
hundred acres, cultivating one hundred and ten acres of it and the
balance in hay and pasture land. He has good wells and windmills,
and his ranch is well improved and one of the most valuable
properties in this region. A view of the residence and
surroundings will be found elsewhere in this work.
C. K. Davies, residing in Kearney, Nebraska, is one of the best known citizens of Buffalo county. He came to Nebraska with his parents when a boy, and has never lived out of the state since 1867. Mr. Davies was born at Denver, Colorado, in 1862. His father, W. D. Davies, was a well known breeder of stock, and came to Nebraska from Denver. Our subject was for many years in the Shorthorn breeding business at Columbus, Nebraska, and in 1904 came to Buffalo county, establishing himself at Kearney.
He has never exhibited his herd, but has sold many animals to farmers from all over western Nebraska, as when purchasing any of his stock they are sure of getting the very best that can be had. At the head of his herd is the "Goldendrop," strain. He paid $500 for the bull "Fame's Heir," sired by Imported Golden Fame, dam Imported Milkmaid. His Lancaster cow is the favorite in his herd, and the sum of $200 was paid for her daughter before she was a year old. Mr. Davies refused $200 for her last bull calf, which promises to be one of the best of his kind. The best breeders from all over Iowa and Nebraska buy cows from Mr. Davies' herd, and he now has a herd of about one hundred and twenty-five, and runs a large dairy, from which he furnishes most of the milk and cream used in Kearney. He prefers the Shorthorn cattle for all purposes. He states that western breeders have to cross their Herefords with Shorthorn stock, otherwise their herd will run out in a short time. The Shorthorn is A-1 for beef as well as milk. and this makes them the most desirable for both farmers and stockmen, and a Shorthorn bull will improve any strain or breed of cattle.
At one time Mr. Davies was engaged in breeding Duroc Jersey hogs on quite a large scale. and is considered one of the best judges in this locality of these animals. He has no use for a pampered show pig, but selects those that have developed naturally, and followed that line in his work, his animals taking many prizes wherever they were shown. He was offered $100 for Madam Banker, but refused to sell. The state industrial school select their stock of pure-bred hogs from his drove, which is the best evidence of their superiority over any others here.
Mr. Davies has also been a breeder of horses, and his judgment of thoroughbreds is considered among the best. He owned Kitty Fenland, and at the state fair in 1903 she was first in her class, and her colt also took first prize. Both these animals were sold to James Barr, the leading horse breeder in Nebraska, to whom our subject also sold his eight hundred and eighty-acre ranch at Lomax, Nebraska.
Mr. Davies has four sons, and all are interested in the stock business, following naturally in the footsteps of their father. George, who is but twelve years of age, reared and cared for an animal which was pronounced by the best judges in the state to be the most fit thoroughbred ever shown as a yearling. This son also has a bunch of Rosecomb Leghorn chickens that are not surpassed by any in the state. The other sons are Sumner, Alden and Jay.
Prominent among the early settlers of western Nebraska is the gentleman above named, who has taken part in the history of this region from the beginning, and has done his full share in its development. He was among the first of those to introduce the system of irrigation in this part of the country. He went through many hardships and privations, and during the year 1876 was never inside a house from November until the following May. Mr. McGinley also had many exciting encounters with the Indians, and can relate many interesting anecdotes of the frontiersman's life in the pioneer days.
Our subject was born in county Donegal, Ireland, in December of the year 1838. His parents were of Scotch-Irish blood. The father, William, was a blacksmith by occupation, who married Annie Porter. The whole family came to America in 1850, landing at St. Johns, New Brunswick, and soon afterwards came to Maine, where our subject was reared and educated. In
the year 1857 Andrew went to work in the lumber woods of Maine and continued at that work for a number of years. In 1868 he came to Colorado, and teamed south from Cheyenne, being employed by the Union Pacific railway company, getting out ties for that road. The following year he did the same work for the Cheyenne and Denver railway. In 1870 he left the railroad and went into the stock business in Colorado, working as a cowboy on a ranch of his own, and spent five years in that vicinity. He worked as a freighter in connection with his stock raising operations, and this brought him into the western part of Nebraska. He located on a ranch twenty-five miles southeast of Harrison. in 1879, and made that his home up to 1899, and succeeded in building up an extensive ranch which was situated on the Niobrara river. He sold out this property in that year for $20,000. The place contained about two thousand five hundred acres, a large portion of which was irrigated land, and was a valuable piece of land. His partner, W. C. Stovers, was a well-known ranchman and old settler, and these two men were in partnership for over twenty years.
In 1899 Mr. McGinley came to Harrison and bought his present farm, consisting of two hundred and forty acres, and here he has a nice place, with good improvements in the way of buildings, fences, etc.
Mr. McGinley was married in 1865 to Miss Laura Haven, daughter of Joseph Haven, a farmer of Hartson, Maine. Mrs. McGinley was born in Hartson, Maine, of Yankee stock. Our subject has always taken a leading part in the affairs of his community, and has held numerous offices, serving as county commissioner when Sioux county was first organized. and was also one of the men who helped form the county. He is a Republican.
Among the prominent ranchmen and stock raisers of Rock county, the gentleman above named holds an enviable reputation. He is among the oldest settlers in this section of the country, and has aided materially in the growth and success of the region where he chose his home.
Mr. Gaskill is a native of Ohio, born in 1848. His father, Thomas R. Gaskill, was a tanner by trade, and a native of the eastern states. Our subject is the second member in his father's family of five children, and was reared in Ohio until the age of fifteen years, when the whole family left that state and moved to Wisconsin, in the fall of 1863, remaining there for five years. He quit school before coming west, and had only had the advantages of a common school education. After leaving Wisconsin the family settled in Worth county, Iowa, and there he remained at home with his parents for three years, when he went to farming for himself. He followed this occupation for about three years, then purchased a farm in Wright county and worked this for six years. In 1884 he came to Nebraska and located in Brown county, settling in what is now Rock county, eight miles northeast of the present site of Bassett. There he took up a homestead and remained on it for ten years, improving the place wonderfully with buildings, fences, etc. He went through some hard times while on that farm, losing crops by the drouths, hailstorms, and other conditions, he became disheartened, so he sold his holdings there and moved on his present farm situated in section 9, township 32, range 18, located on the banks of the Niobrara River. Here he has built up a pleasant home and fine farm. He has three hundred and sixty acres of land and engages in stock raising principally, and finds this one of the best places he has ever seen for that line of work. He has a valuable property, and well merits the success which he has attained through his hard labors.
While living in Iowa, Mr. Gaskill was married in 1878 to Miss Marion Boswell, an American girl. Their marriage has been blessed with three children. namely; Arthur A., Lizzie and George. All of Mr. Gaskill's time is devoted to the care and supervision of his farm and home, and he has the esteem and confidence of his fellowmen. He is a Republican politically.
ELINON M. ROSE.
Elinon M. Rose, whose handsome home and well-kept farm lies on section 10, township 14, range 51, Cheyenne county, where he is owner of one hundred and sixty acres, beautifully located on Lodgepole Creek, is one of the energetic and persevering citizens of his community, and an old settler in Nebraska. He came to this part of the state in the early days of its development, and has secured for himself a good home and competence in this fertile and productive region. Mr. Rose is a gentleman of broad mind and good practical training, and he has gained an enviable reputation as a gentleman of sterling qualities, esteemed and admired by all who know him.