campaigned for the cause in French and English all through Nebraska. He has also been very successful in his farming operations, assisted by a large family, and engages principally in stock raising and mixed farming, but is now practically retired from active business. He holds the office of president of the Farmers' Co-operative Grain Association, which company he helped to organize in 1904. He also built one of the largest and best elevators here, capacity sixteen thousand bushels, which has been of great benefit to the farmers in this locality. He is secretary of the Farmers' Business Association, organized in 1890, to ship their own hogs and cattle, and since it's organization the regular stock buyers have left town. This association pays no dividends, but gets operating expenses out of the profits, the farmers getting all the rest.
Prof. d'Allemand also holds the office of secretary of the Arapahoe Creamery Company, organized in 1898. This has been very profitable, paying the stockholders seven per cent. and has been of great benefit to those who are in the dairy business. The Beatrice Creamery concern took Prof. d'Allemand all over the western part of Nebraska, speaking French and German for them to the residents of that part of the state.
Prof. d'Allemand was married in England, at St. Helen, to Miss Marion Wood daughter of Thomas and Helen Edgar Wood, both of the Highlands, Scotland. They have a family of nine children. named as follows: Charles, now living at Des Moines, Iowa; Fred, of Louisville. Colo.; Nellie, wife of William Hellmann, now mayor of Arapahoe; Albert, also a merchant of Arapahoe; David, of Loveland, Colorado. farmer by occupation; Alfred, also a merchant of Arapahoe; Louise, wife of W. S. Curry, of this town; Ubert, a farmer living in this vicinity; and Benoit, connected with the United States Forestry department at Santa Barbara, California, now at Garden City, supervising two hundred thousand acres of land. Altogether the descendants of Professor d'Allemand number forty members. He is an active worker in the Episcopal church, and is classed among the eminent and useful men in western Nebraska.
In the person of the above gentleman we have a representative native born Nebraskan, and he is one of the prosperous and well-known farmers among the younger residents of section 6, township 27, range 28, Cherry county.
William M. Lee was born in Saunders county, Nebraska in 1880. His father, J. R. Lee, is one of the early settlers in western Nebraska, whose sketch appears in this volume on another page. When William was a boy about eight years of age the family came to the western part of the state, settling at Brownlee, and there he was reared and educated, receiving a very good schooling through attending the grammar schools in the latter place, also became familiar with different kinds of work, farming and ranching at different times during his younger years. He started out for himself in 1902, settling on his present ranch, which is situated four miles north of Brownlee, and had nothing to begin with in the way of capital except his strong hands and brave spirit. He eventually proved up on the claim, working hard to improve the place, and has a ranch consisting of one thousand nine hundred and twenty acres, all of which is fenced, a complete set of good buildings and improvements. He cultivates about fifty acres, but engages principally in ranching, running quite a large bunch of cattle and other stock. For so young a man Mr. Lee has accumulated a remarkably valuable property, due entirely to his thrift and good management. He has passed through some few disappointments in the way of crop failures, but knows absolutely nothing of the hardships which assailed those who came to the region in the beginning of its development as a farming community.
In 1902 Mr. Lee was married to Miss Cora Campbell, daughter of S. G. Campbell, who is an old settler here, and formerly were pioneers in Dawes county, Nebraska where she was reared. Her mother's maiden name was Lizzie Kesterson. Mr. and Mrs. Lee are the parents of one child, Caldona, aged five years and a very bright youngster. They have a pleasant and comfortable home, and are surrounded by congenial neighbors, well liked by all.
A. A. Munn, of Kearney, Nebraska, is a rising young veterinary surgeon of that locality. He is a gentleman of excellent education, and applies himself closely to the study of his profession, meeting with much success in his practice. He is a conscientious and thoroughly reliable man, and in the comparatively short time he has been in that vicinity has gained the respect and esteem of everyone with whom he
has come in contact, either professionally or in a social way.
Dr. Munn is a native of Canada, born July 29, 1879. His father, Duncan Munn, was one of the old time captains and bridge superintendents of Ontario, Canada, who later on located on a ranch at Cambridge, Nebraska, where he engaged in raising thoroughbred stock. An uncle of our subject, named Thomas Andrews, also of Cambridge, has one of the finest herds of thoroughbred Shorthorn cattle in the west, having come to this state from Canada in the early days. He is a gentleman of wide experience in the breeding and raising of cattle, and has established a wide reputation as an authority in that line of business throughout the United States.
Our subject is a graduate of the Ontario Veterinary College, Toronto, Canada, having completed his studies at that institution in 1904. He immediately began practicing in Nebraska, and has built up a large patronage throughout this section of the country, his work extending from Minden and Kearney to the Colorado state line. He enjoys a large practice among the owners of the best thoroughbred animals and also the graded herds, and he is regarded by all to whom he has given his services as a man of superior knowledge in his line of business, and has one of the finest hospitals in the state. He first located in Furnas county, later moving to Kearney. He is considered by all as one of the substantial and worthy citizens of his community. In 1905 Mr. Munn was appointed assistant state veterinary for Nebraska, which place he still holds, and this fact speaks greatly in his favor for so young a man. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Brotherhood of Protective Order of Elks, Eagles, Foresters, Woodmen of America and Highlanders.
Dr. Munn was married June 2, 1907, to Nellie Hull, daughter of H. J. Hull, state oil inspector.
On one of the illustrated pages of this
volume we present the picture of a scene in the operating room in
Dr. Munn's Kearney veterinary hispotal (sic).
James L. Hogle, classed among the old-timers of Dawes county, Nebraska, is also one of the earliest settlers in western Nebraska. He has passed through many experiences on the frontier and endured many hardships in the early days, and as a result of his energy and perseverance has built up a comfortable estate and enjoys a pleasant home and numerous friends throughout his community.
Mr. Hogle was born in Montreal, Canada, in 1860, of German stock. His parents were both born in Canada, and he was reared and educated fifty miles from Montreal. His father died when he was a child two years old, and he lived with his mother on a farm until he was twenty, then was married to Miss Eliza Holsapple, also a native of Canada. The young couple came to the United States, going to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and landing there on May 20th, 1880, where they remained for a short time. Mr. Hogle then moved to Fort Laramie and engaged in the hotel business which he run successfully for some time. He next moved to Lusk, Wyoming, and spent nine years in that state. In 1889 he came to Crawtord and established his present business. For five years he was proprietor of the Gate City Hotel, and this was one of the leading hotels in the place. He ran a first-class house and it was patronized by the best people, being the popular stopping place for commercial travellers, his success being largely due to his genial and pleasant personality which is so necessary to a man in the hotel business. Mr. Hogle has other interests in this vicinity, owning a large ranch situated ten miles east of Crawford, on Ash Creek, besides his residence and business property here, and he is counted one of the prosperous citizens of the town.
Mr. Hogle is an influential citizen of his community, taking a keen interest in all local affairs, but although he has many times been urged to accept office has repeatedly refused to serve, preferring to lead a private life and devoting his entire time to business. He is a Democrat.
Mr. Hogle's family consists of himself, wife, and one child, Myrtle, now Mrs. Ivins, wife of the leading dentist at Crawford, Nebraska.
William Parker Carr, retired, a prominent citizen of Alma, Harlan county, Nebraska, came to this county before it was organized, in 1871, and has seen this section grow from a wilderness to one of the most prosperous communities in western Nebraska. He came here from Cheyenne, Wyoming, by train to Kearney, driving from the latter place with a team and wagon, locating in Prairie Dog township, where he took up a homestead and pre-empted and farmed for sixteen years.
Mr. Carr was born in Antrim, New Hampshire, in 1831. He is a son of William and Martha (Parker) Carr, His father served at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, when the British were expected to attack that place in the war of 1812. His grandfather, William Carr, also served for over seven years in the Revolutionary war. The Carrs are of Scotch-Irish descent, coming to New Hampshire long before the latter war, and the Parker family were originally from England, coming to America in the early pioneer days, of New England, our subject was raised in the vicinity of his birthplace, and first came to Nebraska in 1853, crossing Bennett's Ferry with a freight outfit. Friel Nuckolls (after whom Nuckolls county was named), had a contract to supply corn to the troops at Forts Kearney and Laramie, and our subject together with Gideon Bennett, took a sub-contract, and made one trip with twenty-six wagons at Fort Laramie, completing the journey with perfect safety, going over the old California trail. They made two trips to Fort Kearney the same season. At that time corn was worth thirteen dollars per bushel at the former point, and nine dollars at the latter. In 1854 they had a contract to move the Otoe and Missouri Indians from Otoe, Nebraska, and from Rhulo, and outfitted there and worked the whole of both tribes, seven hundred in all, to the Blue, near Beatrice, on the Otoe Reservation. The outfit carried flour, bacon and blankets, and all supplies for the Indians. They traveled one day and issued five beeves and a large amount of flour, laying there until this supply was all eaten up, then would move the Indians on empty stomachs, telling them when the next feed would be, and they would move rapidly to the designated place. They carried about sixty head of beef, and kept a guard of fifteen men around the supplies, to keep the Indians from stealing the stuff. Mr. Carr could speak the language of the Otoes, Missouri and Iowa tribes, and got on very well with the savages. At the Otoe reservation he had to break one hundred and sixty acres in 1854, receiving for this work six dollars per acre. The Indian agent traveled with the tribes all through the expedition, and our subject spent all of 1855 on this reservation. In the following year the free soil agitation raged in Kansas near the reservation, and in these times no man ever opened his door wide until he was assured that it was a friend he was to admit, as the country was full of rough characters and unfriendly Indians. In 1856 while returning from a point in Kansas, Mr. Carr passed the camp of Jim Lane and three hundred abolitionists, forty miles from the Otoe, and a little later about fifty South Carolinians forced Mr. Carr to lead them to Lane's camp, but seeing the latter's strength they released their captive and fled. Mr. Carr remained in this region up to 1861, then enlisted in the Second Kansas Cavalry, and served for two years under General Curtis, mostly in scouting at the battle of Carthage and other fights. In 1862 he was discharged owing to disability, and went back to Kansas near the Otoe reservation where he was connected with the Overland Stage Company on the California trail for five years. These stages were robbed four times within four miles of the station, but our subject's stage was never robbed, although on one occasion, in 1864, on the Little Blue River, when he had one lady and two men passengers, with two guards with the United States mail, he was chased by a party of from twenty to twenty-five Indians, who were all on fleet-footed ponies. He pitted his four horses against these savages, lashing them into a run and they followed him so near the station that the guards heard the firing and came to his assistance, when the Indians retreated. One guard, a boy of fourteen, all this time had stood on top of the stage, firing repeatedly at the Indians. One bullet from the Indians' guns struck the near wheeler's bridle and brought the horse to his knees, but only for a second when he regained his feet and sped onward. Another whizzed past the hind boot of the coach carrying the mail and lodged in the seat directly behind the driver, and the lamp which was fastened beside him was hit and smashed to pieces. It was an exciting chase, but no serious results followed, and it has remained a strong memory in our subject's mind of those wild days. In 1853 he carried the mail from Nebraska City to Fort Kearney. The carrier who had traveled this route before he took it, had disappeared and never been heard from after starting out on a trip to the latter point. Soon after he started on these trips, one night the mule driven by our subject gave indication that there were Indians very near, and he rode for dear life and reached his destination safely. For some time he carried mail in Nevada, traveling between Rhulo and Hamilton City. He also spent some time at Bitter Creek, Wyoming, where he worked three teams and three men during the building of the Union Pacific railway, receiving eighteen dollars per day for his services. He contracted under Tom Majors, well known to all westerners of the pioneer days, and also was employed by the Union Pacific company in bridge building, for which he received six dollars per day.
In 1867 Mr. Carr and Jos. Reed had charge of the stage horses at a ranch located on the
Smoky River in Kansas. They had a negro who shod the horses. At one time twenty or twenty-five Indians appeared at the stables and showed fight, when our subject and his companion escaped through a back door of the barns, running to a buffalo wallow which was about eighteen inches deep in the open prairie, thinking the Indians would steal the horses and take their departure, but instead they came after the three men and tried their best to capture them, but were held at bay until darkness came on, when they managed to crawl to a place of safety. The negro was shot through the forehead during the early part of the fight, and his body was placed in front of the other two men serving as an additional guard, and strange as it may seem, he came to after a time and did not object to the defensive use he had been put to. Much of Mr. Carr's time during these years was spent in the service of the government in driving stage, and he worked at this in Salt Lake, California and Nevada. He knew of the richness of the lands through the Republican Valley, as in 1863 he had hunted there before the Indian raid of that time, securing buffalo, elk and deer for Ben Holliday, the stage contractor, from Atchison, Kansas, to San Francisco, so when the party was organized in Cheyenne to settle in Harlan county. Nebraska, he readily joined it. He located in Alma in 1888, and was the first coroner elected in Harlan county. He also owned a fine farm in Alma township.
Mr. Carr was married in Harlan county, in 1873, to Miss Harriet Lucinda Ellenberger, a native of Iowa. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Carr, namely: Mary Elizabeth, wife of Owen Carroll, a farmer of Prairie Dog township, this county, and James Jerome Carr, a resident of Alma. Mr. Carr has been a member of the Masonic lodge since 1857, and is also a prominent Grand Army of the Republic man.
James Hughes is a man whose name will figure as one of those who has watched the development and growth of the locality in which he makes his home, and where he has resided for many years past. Mr. Hughes was born near Howard, Center county, Pennsylvania, April 21, 1847. His father, Thomas Hughes, who married Nancy Gardener, a native of Pennsylvania, was born in Ireland and came to the United States when a young man, and after reaching the new world was for many years general overseer and foreman in the immense iron works at Howard. He also held responsible positions in the coal and iron mines at that place, and lived in Howard at the time of his death, which occurred in 1860. Our subject is the third member in a family of ten children, and was raised in the town of his birth. At the age of fourteen years he entered the army enlisting at Howard in Company E, Fifth Pennsylvania regiment, on June 8, 1861, and was mustered in at the state capital. They were ordered south, and joined the Army of the Potomac, serving in all the campaigns of that body of soldiers, enduring much hard service. He also belonged to the Pennsylvania Reserves, and was one of the bravest men in the company, always at the front of the line and in the thickest of the fights. At one time he was one of a detail of eighteen soldiers on a scouting expedition, the night before the battle of Antietam and out of this number he was one of only three that lived to tell the story of the encounter. Lieutenant Petrican, in charge of the detail, being one of the slain. He remained with his company and served his country until after the battle at Fredericksburg under Burnsides, and in February. 1864, was honorably discharged at Washington, returning to peaceful pursuits with the consciousness of duty well done, in spending three years of his life in the noblest war that men ever fought. After leaving the army he went to West Union, Iowa, remaining one year, then on to Bates county, Missouri, for six months. Here he suffered so severely from an attack of the ague that he was unable to remain, and traveled on to the western plains where he freighted from Hayes City on the Kansas Pacific railway in Kansas, to Camp Supply, Indian Territory, following this work for one year. At this time the country was overrun with buffalo and Mr. Hughes joined a hunting party, handling thousands of dollars worth of hides during the three years he remained at that occupation in that part of the country. He was compelled to live on the open plains in order to recover his health, which had been severely impaired through an attack of typhoid fever, and it was during this time that he lived the free and adventurous life of the plainsman, hunting buffalo all over the state of Kansas.
His next move was to Nebraska City, where he remained for two years, then he came on to Brown county in 1882, and on June 15th, located on a pre-emption claim north of Niobrara river in what is now Keya Paha county, also took a homestead in the northwest quarter of section 2, township 29, range 22. He settled on this before the railroad had reached