mous battle and might have been one of the number killed. He came into Keya Paha county in the summer of 1879, locating on section 23, township 32, range 20, and still occupies this farm. There are about sixty acres of natural timber on the place, out of which he hauled cedar posts in the early days to Neligh, where he sold them for twenty-five cents each, a method of supplying provisions for the family, quite common in those days. He sold off his home place seven thousand of these posts. Mr. Beeman gradually improved his place and added to the acreage, now owning two hundred acres, all low farming and hayland except forty acres. He has under cultivation about sixty acres, on which he raises good crops, and keeps about fifty hogs, with enough cows and horses for farm use. He has an orchard of seven hundred and fifteen fruit trees, all in fine growing order, and from these he gets all the fruit he can use and also sells considerable in the home market. Nearly the entire tract is irrigated by a good stream, so a dry year has no terrors for the owner of this fine estate. There is still an abundance of fine timber on the place that is increasing rather than diminishing.
On July 4, 1883, Mr. Beeman was married to Miss Susan Rickman, whose parents, Samuel N. and Mary (Mash) Rickman, were early settlers in this county. To Mr. and Mrs. Beeman have been born the following children: Albert D., Nancy, wife of Ebba Jackson, of Herring, South Dakota; Gussie and Nellie, the two latter still living at home at the present time.
Mr. Beeman is the oldest settler in Keya Paha county at this time, and has always taken a leading part in its development and growth, and witnessed its advancement from practically a wilderness to its present prosperity. He has always voted the Republican ticket and taken a commendable interest in local affairs in his community, but has never sought office.
A picture of Mr. Beeman's place appears on
another page of this volume.
GEORGE W. DAVIS.
The gentleman whose name heads this personal history is a prominent ranchman of Sioux county, Nebraska. He was one of the early settlers of that region, and has made many friends since his residence here, by all of whom he is highly esteemed.
Mr. Davis was born in Jackson county, Iowa, in 1863. His parents lived on the Mississippi river, at the town of Bellevue, and there George was reared and educated. His father, Henry, was of German descent, the mother being of Irish birth. The father was a soldier in the Civil war, and met his death at the battle of Vicksburg, on July 4, 1863.
Our subject's mother, whose maiden name was Katherine O'Connor, after being left a widow, raised her family of children, of whom our subject was the second member, and had a hard struggle to get along. She died in 1871, in Jackson county, Iowa. After the mother's death, George was sent to the Soldiers' Orphans Home at Davenport, Iowa, until he was thirteen years of age, when he left that institution and struck out for himself, from that time on making his own way in the world.
Mr. Davis came to Cambridge, Nebraska, where he spent two years, then became a cowpuncher on a ranch in that vicinity and later worked on a ranch near North Platte city, being employed by several different cow outfits, subsequently working mostly along the South Loup river. In the spring of 1881, Mr. Davis and a partner came to a ranch near where the town of Crawford now stands and remained there for about a year. In the following year he trailed a large bunch of cattle in Montana, and during that trip was obliged to live almost entirely on buffalo meat. He saw every phase of the frontiersman's life in those early days, when his cow-punching experiences reached from the city of North Platte, Nebraska, to Tongue river, Montana. In 1883, our subject located near Chadron, connecting himself with the Half Diamond E. outfit, and remained with the company for about a year, and the following three years were spent in Montana employed by different ranching outfits.
Mr. Davis finally got tired of roaming around and decided to settle down permanently, so returned to Nebraska and took up a homestead twenty-five miles northwest of Harrison, in the fall of 1888. He proved up on his land in due time and operated his ranch for sixteen years, then purchased a tract of land situated four and a half miles south of Harrison, and here he has improved a good farm and ranch, having five hundred and twenty acres, engaging in cattle raising principally. He has put up good buildings and improvements, all of his place is fenced and cross fenced, with good wells and windmills.
Mr. Davis was married March 26. 1890, to Miss Elizabeth Sutton, daughter of Lewis C. Sutton, who was a veteran of the Civil war, his death occurring in 1882, at Jerseyville, Illinois. Mrs. Davis' mother was Helen Terrill, of Henry county, Missouri, and now lives at Jerseyville, Illinois. As a result of the above marriage, three children were born, who are named as follows: Cora, Lewis and Helen. Mrs. Davis' grandmother was among the early settlers in Sioux county, driving overland when coming here, from
Greenfield, Iowa, in a wagon containing all their possessions.
Mr. Davis occupies a foremost position as one of the leading old-timers of his locality, and has aided very materially in the development of this region.
William Lisco, residing in Cheyenne county, Nebraska, is a genuine old-timer of that region, and one of the picturesque type of western pioneer cattlemen who was prominently connected with the early life on the plains. He has been largely interested in ranches owned by the Lisco Brothers, which are now merged into the concern known as the Pine Creek Land and Cattle Company.
Mr. Lisco was born in Canada in 1851, coming into the states when quite small, his parents :settling in New York at first, and remaining for several years. They then went to Iowa, and next to Nebraska, landing in this state in 1872. Our subject was in Colorado for about two years, and in 1876 came into Cheyenne county, arriving here in February of that year. He was subsequently employed on different big ranches in the vicinity, following the range up to 1885, then located on a homestead on section 29, township 18, range 46, this tract being situated on the Platte river, the home ranch consisting of four hundred and eighty acres. He started in the ranching business at once, and succeeded in a marked degree, building up a good place, and gradually extending his possessions until he is now classed among the wealthy men of the county. Besides his ranching interests he engages in farming on a small scale, having about forty acres in crops, and the balance in hay land. At the present time he is running seventy head of cattle and fifty head of horses. Two hundred and eighty acres are tinder ditch, and all of his ranch is valuable land.
Mr. Lisco was married at Chappell, Deuel county, Nebraska, in 1896, to Miss Myrtle Norton. They had one child, Gladys, born in 1898, and the mother died here in 1904.
JAMES J. COOPER.
One of the leading old-timers of the state of Nebraska may be found in the person of James J. Cooper, the gentleman whose name heads this personal history. He settled in Rock county where he now resides in 1884, and has seen all the changes which have taken place since the early days, and done his full share towards making the history of this part of the state of Nebraska.
Mr. Cooper was born in West Troy, New York, March 10, 1838. He is a son of James Cooper, who was a cattle driver and farmer, and his mother was of Scotch descent, her maiden name being Sarah Kinkade. When our subject was two and a half years old the family moved to St. Lawrence county, New York, where they were among the pioneer settlers. He is the youngest member in a family of seven children, and was reared and educated in St. Lawrence county on his father's farm, where he assisted his father and brothers in carrying on the farm work. He spent eleven winters in the pineries, and in his young manhood learned the millwright's trade in Winnebago county, Wisconsin, following that occupation for twenty-two years. He lived in different parts of the Badger state during those years, employed in equipping a large number of the mills in that state.
When the war broke out our subject enlisted during 1861 in the Thirty-fifth New York Volunteer Infantry, and saw service with the Army of the Potomac. He participated in twenty-two big battles during his service as a soldier, besides numerous skirmishes. He saw three stands of colors shot to pieces from the heads of this regiment. When he entered the regiment he went in with one thousand men, to which were added six hundred recruits, and when the regiment disbanded there were but four hundred and eighty left. During different battles men on both sides of him were shot down and killed, while he escaped without receiving any severe wounds through all the time he spent in the army, which was over two years.
In 1884 he came to Nebraska and located in Rock county, taking up a tree claim in section 33, township 32, range 18, and proved up on it. He has improved one timber claim, put up a number of buildings, and acquired three hundred and twenty acres of land, all fenced with over forty-five acres of plow land. This he sold in the fall of 1907, after a series of accidents, including a stroke of lightning and a headlong fall from a hay stack, incapacitating him for manual labor. He has been very successful since coming to Rock county, both at farming and the carpenter's trade, having put up many houses in the town of Stuart, and a number of schoolhouses in the county. He was employed in the building of the Rock county courthouse, in 1893, the one which was destroyed by fire.
Mr. Cooper was married November 17, 1866, at DePere, to Miss Christina Bandow, whose parents came to American shores from Prussia in 1848. Mr. and Mrs. Cooper have a family of four children, two of whom, the oldest and
youngest, are living: Myrtle, widow of William Bullard, and Henry. James and Lilly are deceased. The family live in a comfortable cottage in Bassett, whither they removed after the sale of the farm. Mr. Cooper is a Republican in politics, and with his family is a member of the Church of God.
WILLIAM M. STEVENS
Energetic effort and intelligence go hand in hand in the building up of ones fortune, regardless of the vocation to which they are applied. One of the well developed and highly improved estates of Perkins county is that owned and operated by William M. Stevens, who resides in Sawyer precinct and the possessor of three thousand and forty acres, situated five miles northwest of Madrid. The comfortable circumstances enjoyed by this gentleman have been brought about by the exercise of judicious labor and painstaking care, and every appointment of the place bespeaks good taste and splendid business ability.
William M. Stevens was born in Hancock county, Illinois, in 1861, his birthplace being the town of Hamilton. His father, Joseph, was a merchant, born in Maine, an early settler in Butler county, this state, his family being the second to settle in David City, locating in Butler county in the fall of 1870. The mother was a native of Pennsylvania, born in Philadelphia. During the first week of their residence in Butler county a band of seven hundred Indians came through that part of the country, and there was some uneasiness regarding their presence there, although they were at peace with the settlers and made no disturbance.
Our subject was raised on the frontier, going through all the pioneer times, witnessing grasshopper raids, drouths, etc., and saw every phase of life on the plains. In 1885 he came to Perkins county and took a homestead on section 24, township 11, range 38, and started to build up a farm. Ogallala was then the nearest trading point and postoffice. In the spring of the following year Mr. Stevens built a sod shanty twelve by fourteen feet, and in this began his bachelor existence, continuing to live alone for five years. During the first few years he worked at whatever he could get to do in the vicinity of his homestead, being employed at contract work on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railway, constructing six miles of the road during the winter of 1886-87. He went through ox team experience, and as late as the fall of 1890 drove into Deuel county with a team of oxen. When the drouths struck the section he left his farm and went to eastern Nebraska, and also spent one season in Montana.
Mr. Stevens located on his present homestead, which is situated on section 26, township 11, range 38, in the spring of 1891. Here he has put many improvements in the way of good buildings, fences, etc., and is engaged in mixed stock raising and farming, for the past few years devoting his time and efforts principally to the former. For the past six years he has held an auction annually, selling off considerable stock which he raises constantly, and these sales are largely attended from all parts of the country near him, as he has the reputation of handling high-grade animals, and is known to be a good judge of stock.
Mr. Stevens was married in 1890, to Mrs. Mary Beatty, who was born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania. The family consists of the following children: Cora and John, both married and living near the home ranch; these two are Mrs. Stevens' children by a former marriage. Harry, Minnie, Morgan, Kittie, Leonora, Lela and Grace, all of whom are willing assistants to their parents in running the ranch. In 1905, the wife and mother departed this life, and since her death, which was deeply lamented by her sorrowing family and a host of warm friends, Minnie has had charge of the home.
A picture of Mr. Stevens'
residence will be found on another page.
HON. VICTOR ANDERSON.
Hon. Victor Anderson, who represented his county in the legislature from 1901 to 1905, elected on the Fusion ticket is one of the prominent men of that region. He has resided in this part of the state of Nebraska for many years, and is held in the highest esteem by his fellowmen.
Mr. Anderson was born in Kane county, Illinois, in the city of St. Charles. His father, N. P. A. Anderson, was a native of Smoland, Sweden, who settled in Illinois, and later in Iowa. He was a man of good education and followed farming as an occupation. coming to Nebraska in 1875, taking up the homestead on which our subject now lives. He died at the age of seventy years, his death occurring May 23, 1906, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He left a family of three children. Our subject's mother, Mary S. Anderson, died on the farm February 7. 1908. One son, Emil, also lives with them as well as a sister of our subject, Josie, and they operate a farm of three hundred and twenty acres, renting out three hundred and twenty acres. He is proprietor altogether of six hun-
dred and forty acres of land, all cultivated and well improved, handling also a large number of cattle and some pure-bred Poland China hogs, also raising considerable wheat and corn. Among the farm equipment is a modem automobile. He is a most successful farmer and employs modern methods in operating his land. In 1902 his wheat yield was thirty-eight bushels per acre, and his corn crop ran sixty bushels per acre in 1889. He raises about ten thousand bushels of grain each good crop year, and uses the greater part of it on his farm. He keeps from seventy-five to one hundred head of hogs on an average. Our subject became a stockholder and director in the Kearney County Lumber Company in 1907, and still is interested in the business.
In 1904 Mr. Anderson was nominated for senator from Kearney, Phelps and Harlan counties. He is at present acting as president of the Kearney County Mutual Fire and Lightning Insurance Company, having been elected to this office in 1904. He has been director of his school district since coming of age. Mr. Anderson is a very popular young man, of off-hand, sociable manners, and one of the most intelligent and progressive citizens in this section of the country. He has a host of warm friends and admirers, and highly esteemed as a man of excellent character and good business judgment. He belongs to the Swedish Lutheran church, and gives freely of his time and support.
GEORGE H. PRUDEN.
George H. Pruden, proprietor of a valuable ranch in Merriman precinct, Cherry county, is comparatively a recent settler in this locality, but has become very well known as a worthy citizen and prosperous ranchman. He is a mar of strict integrity and persistent industry, and well merits his high standing and financial success.
Mr. Pruden was born in Sidney, Ohio, October 20, 1869. His father, Peter W. Pruden, was a farmer of American stock who came to Nebraska, in 1888. During the civil war he served three years in Company F, Eighty-third Illinois regiment, and was in many different battles and skirmishes. After locating in Nebraska he farmed near Chadron for some years until the drouth struck that locality, and his crops were ruined and he lost everything he had. He died January 23, 1903, leaving a wife who still lives in Nebraska, and a family of seven children of whom our subject is the fourth member. At the age of eighteen he started out to make his own living, working on different ranches in the vicinity of his home for twelve dollars and a half a month, and was very glad to get that. He also broke horses for ranchmen, and was able to earn fifteen dollars per month by this labor, continuing in this work for the following nine years, then together with his brothers, established himself in the cattle business. They succeeded very well in this venture, and now have a ranch of four hundred and eighty acres, besides each having good homestead lands.
In November, 1890, Mr. Pruden came to Cherry county, and on landing here, there was altogether in the possession of the family just one hundred dollars in cash, and added to this small start, for the first two years their crops were a total failure. During the first winter they were obliged to buy the potatoes for the family supply, and paid one dollar per bushel for them. However, they stuck together, our subject and his brothers securing work by the day or month, and in this manner supported the family, and after the hard times had passed they were very successful in their farming operations and accumulated a nice property, now being counted among the prominent and substantial residents of Cherry county, all interested in the ranching business. The ranch is improved with a complete set of good farm buildings, all fenced and fitted with all the equipment necessary for conducting a model ranch. They have a fine drove of three hundred head of cattle, and quite a number of horses. October 7, 1907, Mr. Pruden purchased a meat market in Merrimac, which he operates in connection with his ranch.
In 1903 Mr. Pruden was married to Miss Martha K. Herbaugh, a native of Nebraska, born in 1880. Her father, John W. Herbaugh, served in the Civil war for four years, as a member of an Indiana regiment. Mr. and Mrs. Pruden have one child, John Clark Pruden.
Mr. Pruden is a Republican, but takes no, active part in politics, devoting his entire time and attention to the building up of his home, surrounding himself and family with all the comforts and conveniences of a model farm home.
IRA A. HAMMOND.
Among the leading old-timers of the state of Nebraska, none is better known or more highly respected than the subject of this review, Ira A. Hammond. Mr. Hammond is a native of Tama county, Iowa, born November 15, 1858. His father, Matthew Hammond, born in Vermont, was of American lineage. He came to Tama county. Iowa, about 1856, and while here, served as postmaster of the postoffice which was located on his farm. The family consisted of twelve children, of whom our subject was the tenth
member in order of birth. He was raised in Tama county until four years of age, then his parents moved to McDonough county, Illinois, where Ira grew to manhood. He was taught to do all kinds of hard farm labor, attending the country schools during the winter months, and in this way received a common school education. He lived with his parents assisting them until the death of his father, which occurred in 1890, then supported his mother until her death in 1902. In 1885, Mr. Hammond came to Brown county, settling on a farm two and one-half miles west of Johnstown. Here he built a dugout, or sod house, which was the first building ever erected on his farm, and in this he lived for some time. He lived here up to 1891, when he sold out his property and moved to Ainsworth, plying his trade as a mason, at which occupation he has worked constantly since coming to Ainsworth. After two years in Ainsworth he rented a farm and worked this besides working at his trade when there was masonry to do. In 1901 he bought his present farm of two hundred and eighty acres, the north half of section 31, range 22. This property is improved with a good set of farm buildings, fences, etc., and he engages in stock raising and mixed farming. In the early days he often had a hard struggle to get along, but he has steadily pushed forward, has a comfortable home and now enjoys a nice income from the fruits of his labor. In the spring of 1907, Mr. Hammond began the manufacture of concrete brick and cement blocks, and is extensively engaged in concrete paving in Ainsworth and elsewhere in Brown county.
Mr. Hammond was married December 25, 1889, to Miss Mary C. Murray, born in Illinois, whose father, John Murray, is a farmer and old Settler in Brown county. Mr. and Mrs.. Hammand are the parents of five children, who are named as follows: Vernie L., Leslie M., Mary E. (deceased), Grace I., and Fred.
Mr. Hammond votes the Republican ticket, and takes a commendable interest in all party affairs. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen of Ainsworth.
MORGAN J. WILLIAMS.
A typical pioneer of western Nebraska is represented by the gentleman above named, Morgan J. Williams. He has lived many years in this section of the country and has been a part of the growth and development of this region, building up for himself a substantial home and fortune by his perseverance and thrift, and has come to be one of the foremost citizens of Dawes county.
Mr. Williams was born in Sparta, Monroe county, Wisconsin, in 1858. He is a son of Morgan Williams, of Welsh descent, born in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, and of Mary Jones, a native of England, born of Welsh parents. Our subject was reared in Wisconsin, and came west about 1871, going first to Nebraska, then to Colorado, and was there at the time the railroad was built from Cheyenne to Denver. He saw Leadville when it was known as California Gulch, and those were the days when Leadville experienced its liveliest times. Mr. Williams was prospecting and mining at that time, and spent six or seven years in that state, witnessing many wild times there. He was also in Wyoming and was the first white man to build a house in Douglass, that state. He afterwards came to Fort Robinson, where he did contracting, moving to Crawford about 1889. Previous to this he had been in Big Horn Basin, Wyoming, and had helped build half of the towns of Glenrock and Casper. From 1889 up to 1895 he ran the only brickyard and contractor's business in Crawford, and in the latter year established a lumber yard there, and has been in business here since that time continuously. When the Burlington railroad came from Alliance he boomed the towns along that line and put up buildings, etc. At Owensville, a now extinct and once tough town, he erected an immense dance hall, completing the place in one day, and this was a gathering place for all the tough characters of the country, and was under the management and control of a famous and successful dance hall man. Besides his business interests in Crawford, Mr. Williams boomed different towns along the lines of the Chicago & Northwestern railway, also the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, and was successful in making considerable money out of these different enterprises.
During the early part of his career in the west Mr. Williams worked as a cow-puncher, running large herds of cattle over the western part of Nebraska. He has been all through the western states, and has watched the growth and development of this section from the very start.
Mr. Williams was married in 1879 to Miss Ida Jane Vincent. born in Illinois, and they have a family of eight grown children, and are grandparents to several youngsters. Mr. and Mrs. Williams's children are named as follows: Maudie, Cora, Clarence, Arthur, Winnie, Lena, Homer and Francis.
Mr. Williams has always taken an active part in the politics of his home town, acting as a delegate in representing the silver Republicans at the national convention which nominated Wil-
liam Jennings Bryan the second time in 1900, but he did not get there. He has been on the village board for seven years, and takes a leading part in his community
HENRY C. HENDERSON.
Henry C. Henderson, an agriculturist of prominence in Cheyenne county, resides in Bronson precinct, and is one of those substantial citizens whose integrity and industry, thrift and economy, have added so much to the material wealth and growth of Nebraska. Agriculture forms the basis of wealth in that part of the country, as, indeed, in most sections of the United States. It, is, therefore, of great importance that the class of people who inhabit the great farming regions of the country should represent those elements of sterling worth so prominently displayed by the majority of the early settlers and their descendants. Mr. Henderson is a veteran of the Civil war, a worthy citizen and a good neighbor, and richly deserves all the success which has come to him.
Mr. Henderson was born in Vermillion township. Vermillion county. Illinois, on the 21st of June, 1842, and lived in that vicinity for fifty years. He enlisted in Vermillion county, in Company C, Seventy-third Illinois Volunteers, on July 5, 1862, and was mustered in nine days later, at Indianapolis. Indiana. During active service at the battle of Chickamauga. he was seriously wounded and was sent to the hospital, where he remained for six months, and then was transferred into the Veteran Reserve Corps, from which he was mustered out July 5, 1865, just three years to a day from the date of his enlistment.
Our subject returned to Illinois after being discharged from the army, and farmed there up to 1892, then came west to Buffalo county, Nebraska, farming in Valley precinct about twelve years in that locality before removing to Cheyenne county, where he has since resided. Reaching Sidney March 20, 1905, he filed on a homestead in section 18, township 13, range 50, and began to develop a home. The place is well situated and contains as fine land as is to be found in this region. One of the natural curiosities of the region, Tower Butte, is situated but a few rods from the dwelling, and is one of the landmarks of the region.
Mr. Henderson was married in Vermillion county, Illinois, March 7, 1872, to Mary F. Jones, a widow, whose maiden name was Lough. Mrs. Henderson was born in Ritchie county, West Virginia, in 1849, and she had one child by her first marriage, Dora M., who married Abraham Long, and resides in Kimball county. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have a family of six children who are named as follows: Druzilla E., now Mrs. Charles Stafford, of Sidney; John R. Henderson, now living in Kimball county; James F. Henderson, of Buffalo county; Donna M., wife of William Davis, of Kimball county; E. C. Henderson, of Cheyenne county. One son, Nathaniel Beeson, is living at home, and assists his father in carrying on the home much. While living in Illinois the family were all members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and Mr. Henderson was a comrade in the Grand Army of the Republic. He is a Republican in politics.
Peter Rehder, a prominent farmer and stockman living on section 20, township 22, range 15, is well known throughout Garfield county as a progressive and successful agriculturist, highly esteemed by all with whom he has had to do.
Mr. Rehder is a native of Germany, born in 1854. He grew up in his native country, and in 1881 left home and struck out for the new world, arriving in America in May, 1881. After landing in New York he came across the country locating in Davenport, Iowa, where he remained for a time, then emigrated to Nebraska in 1885, on account of the land there being cheaper and the better chances a poor man had for gaining a competence, locating in Garfield county on a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres. Here he succeeded in developing a good farm, engaged in mixed farming and stock raising, and now owns about two hundred and fifty acres of good land, half of it under cultivation, raising splendid crops of corn and oats, with some wheat and rye. He has a good supply of water from deep bored wells, and his place is well improved with good buildings and a comfortable residence, fine groves, orchards, etc.
Mr. Rehder is of the opinion that the average man here is much better off financially than in Iowa, as the land here costs less and crops grow just as well with less labor, one man taking care of a hundred acres as easily as he could fifty in Iowa. Since locating here he has had fair success every year with the exception of 1894, when his crops were burned out by the hot winds, and that year everyone suffered some bad luck; but after the coming of the better years he was very fortunate, and has accumulated a nice property. The only disadvantage here is the poor schools, but these are now being improved wonderfully, and it will only be a short time before they will
be as good as can be found anywhere. The school section embraces about twelve square miles
Mr. Rehder raises and feeds stock for the market, mostly cattle and bogs. He has a small orchard, and for the past two years, 1906 and 1907, has had excellent crops of apples. The trees do not do so very well here, but he states that with good care and close attention they can be made to produce very fair crops, and there are plenty of blackberries growing wild in the vicinity of his farm, which is sufficient for their home use.
Mr. Rehder is a typical German farmer, honest, industrious and a hard worker. He has made considerable money since settling here, and is classed among the wealthy residents of his section.
In 1884 our subject was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Mohr, also a native of Germany who came to America with her parents in 1881. To Mr. and Mrs. Rehder four children have been born, two of whom. Fritz, aged fourteen and Rudolph, aged seven, are still living. Two daughters died in 1892.
The family are members of the German Lutheran church. Mr. Rehder is a Democrat but has never held office, as he has never had time to worry over politics, preferring to devote his whole attention to the building up of his home.
CHRISTIAN M. PEDERSEN.
Christian M. Pedersen, a progressive farmer and ranchman of Cherry county, is owner of a fine estate of eight hundred and eighty acres in township 28, range 29. His residence is on section 22, of the above township, and he is the proprietor of one of the most valuable ranches in the section as a result of his good business ability and untiring energy.
Mr. Pedersen was born in Denmark, on a farm, in 1869. His father was a carpenter by trade, and followed that in connection with his farm work, and was also handy at many different occupations, making a good living for his family. Our subject was reared in his native village, as a boy learning the miller's trade, and, in 1891, came to America, arriving in New York city on December 13th of that year. He went directly west to Nebraska, settling in Nuckolls county, but only remained for about eight months, then came up the North Loup and next to Thedford. He secured employment on a ranch and followed that work up to 1894, when he moved to Swan Lake and filed on a homestead, later went to a homestead on Goose creek, Cherry county, and proved up on the latter place. He "batched it" during all this time and worked throughout the region, operating a well outfit which he purchased, and became familiar with many of the old settlers in the county and surrounding country. Two springs were spent in Wyoming and Montana shearing sheep, and during these times he managed to lay by considerable money, finally returning to Nebraska and spending about two years in Brownlee, where he was engaged in the well business. In 1904 he went into South Dakota, driving through the country with a team and covered wagon, locating near the mouth of Belle Fourche river on the Cheyenne river, but did not like the country and only spent one summer there, then came back to Nebraska with his family, settling on his present homestead, which is situated nine miles northwest of Brownlee. Here he has improved a good place, having two hundred acres broken up which he uses for grain raising, and is constantly breaking more ground, as he intends to devote most of his time to farming. He has good buildings, wells, windmills, several miles of fence, and keeps quite a bunch of stock. When he took the ranch there was simply an old sod house which was ready to tumble down, and he has lately erected a good residence, and has every kind of farm machinery and improvement for the proper operation of a model farm and ranch.
In 1901 Mr. Pedersen was married to Miss Kate L. Auguston, whose father was born in Denmark and her mother in New York state, of German stock. Three children have been born to them, John, Herman and Peder. Mr. Pedersen is classed among the leading old-timers in the region, as he has taken an active part in the development of the commercial and agricultural interests for the past eighteen years.
FREDERICK WILLIAM JOHANSEN.
F. W. Johansen, a prominent
business man of Hay Springs, Nebraska, is a young mail of
exceptional energy and ability, and his success in the enterprises
in which he has been engaged from time to time is due to these
characteristics combined with his sound business judgment. A
portrait of him is presented on another page.
Mr. Johansen was born on a farm near Yankton, South Dakota, on the 24th day of June, 1876. His father, Christian A. Johansen, of Danish descent, is a ranchman and farmer in Sheridan county, Nebraska, having settled there in the spring of 1885, with his family, his wife's maiden name having been Anna Wortman, whose
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Marilyn J. Estrada, T&C Miller