county, Missouri, living most of the time in Kansas before locating in Nebraska. In 1887 he settled on the place which he still occupies, in section 31, township 31, range 37. He has a section of deeded land adjoining the Kincaid homestead of three hundred and twenty acres, half of this large tract being good farm land and the balance in hills, devoted to hay and pasture land. When he came here he had practically no capital to start with, and walked from Gordon to where he staked his claim, the first year using a cow and a horse as a team with which to haul sod and rock with which to build his house, and he was obliged to haul all the water for the household supply from a distance of two miles. He had a hard time in getting started, and met with a sad misfortune in the death of one daughter just one week after moving into their new sod house. The dry years caught him when he was trying to get ahead and this kept him back considerably, as his crops failed and he also went through the grasshopper raids the first year he settled here. He now owns a fine piece of property and is well satisfied with what he has done since locating here, and glad he stuck to it.
Mr. Beamer was married July 4, 1874, to Miss Luella Graham, a native of Sigourney, Keokuk county, Iowa, born in 1856. To Mr. and Mrs. Beamer the following children have been born: William, Estella (deceased) and Clara.
During the years Mr. Beamer spent in Kansas he saw harder times than he ever saw in Nebraska, and thinks this country far ahead of any place in which he has ever lived. He is a strong Bryan man, and first, last and always has been a free trader and states that he would be more than satisfied if he could see William J. Bryan at the head of the nation.
William A. Jamison, one of the pioneers of this locality, who came to Brown county when it was in the first stages of its development, has by his praiseworthy example and honest dealings with all with whom he came in contact, become known throughout the community in which he resides as a citizen of true worth. Mr. Jamison was born in Le Clair, Iowa, January 27, 1861. His father, William W. Jamison, was a miller by trade, who married Wealthy Ann Pike, of German ancestry. Our subject is the second member in a family of six children, and came to Nebraska with his parents in 1867, the family settling as pioneers in Saunders county, where his father took a homestead, living there until 1875. They then moved to Linwood, Nebraska, where the father worked at his trade in a mill at that point in order to support his family. At the age of sixteen our subject started out for himself, following farm work for the next seven years. In 1884 he came to Brown county, locating on a homestead in section 6, township 31, range 21. Here his first dwelling was a log stable which he built himself, and in which he lived until he was able to put up a better house. He had nothing to start with, and went through many hard times in getting his home established, but he worked faithfully, remaining on this homestead for six yhears, then moved two miles south to another farm, on which he lived for four years. Here the dry years struck him and he lost everything and found himself eight hundred dollars worse off than nothing when he stopped to figure up, so he gave up this place and in 1895 moved to his present farm in section 32, township 32, range 21, starting all over again. He went to work with a mill, good crops came to reward his labors, and he has since had good success in all his undertakings. His farm, fronting two miles on Niobrara river, now consists of two thousand six hundred acres, all adjoining, with good buildings and all improvements necessary to facilitate in the operation of a model farm. A thousand acres are under cultivation, on which he raises bountiful crops of wheat, rye, oats, corn, millet and alfalfa, besides quantities of prairie hay. He engages in mixed farming and stock raising, of which lie has made a pronounced success. When he first came to Brown county he drove here with a team and covered wagon containing his household goods, spending three weeks on the road, being subjected to many hardships and privations on the way. After starting he had bad luck and became heartily discouraged and was about to leave the country, but determined to give it another trial, and now he is very glad that he decided to remain, as he has done better here than he might have at any other place.
Mr. Jamison was married in Cass county, Nebraska, February 14, 1884, to Miss Ella Osborn, born at Eight-mile Grove, near Plattsmouth, Nebraska, April 29, 1862. Her father, Mansfield Osborn, who married Polly Russell, was a farmer and one of the early settlers in Nebraska, and among those who helped drive the Indians out of that part of the state. He had also seen service in the United States army, and was honorably discharged at Fort
Randall, Nebraska, settling in eastern Nebraska about 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Jamison are the parents of four children, who are named as follows: Irvin H., Malvin, Olive A. and Dell K., all born and reared in Brown county, Nebraska.. The family is highly respected and joys a wide acquaintance in the community which they reside. Mr. Jamison is universally esteemed as a friend and associate, and well deserves his enviable reputation as a citizen. Politically he is a Democrat and is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America camp at Ainsworth. A picture of Mr. Jamison's place will be found on another page of this volume.
Samuel M. Woodward, proprietor of a fine farm in Cherry county, Nebraska, is one of the oldest settlers in his locality, and has been closely identified with the development of the agricultural resources of this region. His fine estate bespeaks thrift and prosperity, and he is classed among the progressive and energetic farmers of his community, and well merits his high standing as a citizen.
Mr. Woodward was born in Pittsburg,
Pennsylvania, November 28, 1848, and reared there until he was
twenty-one years of age. His father, Louis B. Woodward, was a
native of Illinois, and he was a steamboat captain, running from
Pittsburg to St. Louis. His mother was Miss Matilda McMillan, a
native of Pennsylvania. Our subject is the younger of two
children, and struck out for himself at the age of fourteen years.
His father's death occurred at this time, and he was compelled to
help support the family. His first employment was in a rolling
mill, and the next few years were spent in this work and running
machinery in a big box and trunk factory and planing mill. In 1869
he came to Columbus, Nebraska, and after a time there he went into
Butler county and settled on section 18, township 16, range 2,
remaining here until 1885 engaged in farming. He was one of the
earliest settlers there, and when he landed here he paid the Union
Pacific railway ten cents a mile for transportation. The nearest
trading point at that time was Schuyler, Colfax county. In 1885 he
came to Cherry county and took up his present farm as a homestead.
Besides this he was entitled to eighty acres which he afterwards
took up, and has since added to it until he now owns eight hundred
and twenty acres of land, including five hundred and sixty acres
of homestead land. Part of this is hay land, and much of it can be
cultivated. This farm is located in sections 5, 6 and 7, township
33, range 40, Cherry county. He is engaged principally in the
stock business and keeps about seventy-five head of cattle and ten
horses. A view of the residence and surroundings is shown on
another page in this work.
In 1873 Mr. Woodward was married to Miss Minerva Witherbe, of Welsh descent, born in Iowa. They have one son, Avery M., who is now assayer for the Homestake Mining Company at Lead City, South Dakota. This son married Margaret Phillips, of Salt Lake City, and they have one daughter named Irene. Avery M. Woodward is prominent in musical circles, is leader of the orchestra and secretary of the Black Hills Musical Association.
Mr. Woodward takes an active interest in local affairs and has served as assessor for about fourteen years, and was census enumerator in 1900. In political faith he is an active Republican.
Winfield Scott, who enjoys a pleasant home and owns a valuable farm in section 21, township 22, range 15, Garfield county, is one of the well known old-residents of this part of the state of Nebraska. He has gained an enviable reputation as a progressive farmer and worthy citizen, and is highly esteemed for his strict integrity and honest dealings by all with whom he has had to do.
Mr. Scott was born near Sterling, Illinois, in 1839, where he lived on a farm until he was a boy of nine years, the family then emigrating to Iowa, settling in Fremont county. There he grew to manhood, assisting his parents in carrying on the farm, and in this way gained a thorough knowledge of agricultural pursuits.
Mr. Scott came to Nebraska in 1883, homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Garfield county, later bought one hundred and twenty acres adjoining, and has lived here ever since, devoting all his time and energy to the development of his farm and building up his home. He spent but a short time in Iowa. He raises oats, corn, wheat and some rye, and is also engaged to some extent in
stock raising, dealing mostly in cattle and hogs. During the first years here he experienced his greatest difficulty in getting sufficient water, but several years since he has had deep wells dug, and now has a splendid supply of good clear water for his domestic and farming purposes. One well is one hundred and forty-seven feet deep, which is much less than the average depth of the wells in his locality, and from this he obtains all the water he can use. Mr. Scott is of the opinion that this is the best state for the man with limited capital to settle in, as his chances for success are much greater than in the east, where the land is much higher and the cost of living greatly increased. He has never had a total failure of crops. and there has not been a season in which he did not make some money, although, of course, some years were much more successful than others, but taking it altogether, one year with another, he has received a fair average crop. When he landed in Nebraska he was a poor man, but he has worked hard, and through good business judgment in his ventures he is now in comfortable circumstances, and is positive that had he remained in the east all his life he could not have accumulated the property that he has in the west. Mr. Scott is a plain, everyday farmer, well read and intelligent, and takes especial pride in his home life and is well thought of by all who know him.
In 1887 Mr. Scott was married to Miss Edna Watson, born and raised in Nebraska, a daughter of C. F. and Malinda (Williams) Watson, who came to Nebraska in 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Scott are the parents of six children, who are named as follows: Bertha, Wallace, Walter, Hiram, Edith and Jesse, who form a most interesting and intelligent group. In political sentiment Mr. Scott is a Republican but has never devoted much time to politics or held any office.
The gentleman above named, numbered among the leading old timers of western Nebraska, resides on his fine farm in section 35, township 35, range 35. Mr. Winslow was born in the town of Fremont, Sullivan county, New York, December 3, 1841. His father, Moses Winslow, was a farmer, musician and stone mason, who followed all three pursuits at times, and died when our subject was a boy, leaving a family of nine children, he being the eighth member in order of birth. He assisted in the support of the family until twenty years of age, then enlisted in Company H, Fifty-sixth New York volunteer infantry, and was sent south with his regiment, going first to Washington. This was in the spring of 1861, and later in the spring of 1862 he saw service with the army of the Potomac, taking part in a number of engagements, beginning at Savage Station and ending at Malvern Hill. In the same year he was taken sick, having contracted typhoid fever, securing his discharge from service, went to Wyoming, Jones county, Iowa, where he followed farming for a time. In 1883 Mr. Winslow moved to Charles Mix county, South Dakota, where he settled on a homestead, living in a sod shanty and going through pioneer experiences until he had paid out on his claim, returning his homestead rights. He remained there for five years; then came to Nebraska and located in Cherry county, taking a homestead along the Niobrara river. Here he built a log house and lived for fifteen years, building up a good home and farm, and in 1903 sold out and located on his present farm, in section 35, township 35, range 35. When he took this place it was excepting a sod hut, entirely unimproved land, and he went to work establishing a home, erecting good buildings, fences, etc. His ranch contains about eight hundred acres, one hundred and sixty acres of which is meadow land, and all under fence. He has one of the best farm houses to be found in this section of, the country, beautifully finished and double plastered, with the outside cellar of arched stone. In 1908 he erected a commodious barn which, with other buildings, makes his farm equipment complete.
Mr. Winslow was married in Iowa November 11, 1869, to Miss Addie Miller, daughter of John T. and Charlotte (Morris) Miller. Three children have blessed this union, named as follows: Len, Cora M., wife of Charles O. Goodrich, and Fred M., and Mr. and Mrs. Winslow are grandparents of twelve children.
Mr. Winslow has served his community as justice of the peace and acted as precinct committeeman for the Republican party for some years. He is with his family a member of the Methodist church.
To be called a "leading old settler" is much praise to accord a citizen of any community, and this term when applied to the gentleman herein named, means more than is ordinarily meant when applying the term. Mr. Messenger has been a resident of western Nebraska for the
past twenty-five years, and has built up a valuable estate and incidentally gained an enviable reputation as a successful agriculturist and worthy citizen. He resides in section 4, township 32, range 47, where he enjoys a comfortable ,home and pleasant surroundings.
Mr. Messenger was born in Knox county, Ohio, in 1833, on a farm. His father, William H., was a native of Ohio, a mechanic by trade, and later became a pioneer in Iowa, where his death occurred near Weldon, in Washington county. Our subject grew up on a farm in Ohio, where he early learned to do all sorts of hard farm work, going from Ohio to Madison county, Wisconsin, staging across the latter state to Galena City, then down the river to Muscatine and again staging to Iowa City, as that was the mode of transportation at that time, railroads not being so much in evidence in those days as at present. There he went through pioneer experiences with his parents, and became thoroughly familiar with the frontierman's life. He learned the carpenter's trade and followed that work from the time he was a mere boy, working a cabinetmaker, furniture manufacturer, also as a millwright and wagonmaker at different times. He still has a number of farming tools which he uses that were made with his own hands while doing carpenter work in Iowa. In the spring of 1885 he moved to Dawes county, Nebraska, settling at Bordeaux station. and lived there for a few years following his trade. He bought his present farm, where he began as a stock raiser and ranchman, putting up his own buildings, house, barns, etc., and devoted all his time to improving his place. His ranch now consists of about twelve quarter sections of land, largely in hay and pasture, and he has every convenience for the proper operation of his farm. He has built a fine house, planned and executed by himself, of commodious size, the new addition being thirty by sixteen while the older wing is thirty by fourteen, fitted with every convenience, and it is the best built ranch house in the county. At the head of the ranch near Bordeaux creek is a spring which he has stoned up, and as this is very near the house, makes one of the finest clear water springs in the locality.
Mr. Messenger's ranch is one of the finest in Dawes county, all in the best possible shape, supplied with plenty of timber, fruits, such as apples, cherries, pears and small fruits, also different nut bearing trees--walnuts, chestnuts, etc. He has a park on his place in which is a herd of eleven elk which he keeps as a curiosity and they attract many visitors to the ranch. While Mr. Messenger lived at Bordeaux station he was engaged in different enterprises, buying and shipping large quantities of wood, etc.
In February, 1860, Mr. Messenger was united in marriage to Miss Anna Barrows, daughter of a prominent merchant at Windham, Johnson county, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Messenger are the parents of three children, two of whom, Orval and Edyth, are living, while William died in 1895.
Our subject is an Independent voter, always supporting the best man up for office.
Andrew Bergman, who was born in Sweden in 1852 and is now living in peace and plenty on his handsome and well appointed farm in Kimball county, Nebraska, is well entitled to the rich measure of success that has come to him through hard work and thrift. He has worked hard and faithfully for years and is now reaping the legitimate reward of honest effort and industry.
Mr. Bergman grew to the age of thirty years in his native land, coming to America in the summer of 1882, locating first in Brooklyn, New York, where for three years he followed his trade of stair building. He came to Nebraska in the spring of 1883, and took up a homestead on section 18, township 16, range 54, also filed on a tree claim, and immediately began improving the place. He lived on his old homestead for some time, then purchased railroad land and ranched for a time. He was one of the first settlers in this part of Cheyenne county, now Kimball county, and his intention was to build up a good farm, in which he has succeeded admirably. He put down the first well in the locality, passed through all the early Nebraska times, often meeting with losses and failure of crops, but stuck to his original purpose, and is now prosperous, and one of the most highly esteemed men of his county. He has fifty acres of his farm cultivated, raising good crops, and runs a large bunch of cattle and horses, being one of the old-time stockmen of the section. In 1907 our subject came to his old homestead and erected a new house and built up a good home. During the first years our subject lived on his homestead he got only two crops in nine years. He had never put his hand to a plow or even put harness on a horse before he settled on his farm, having spent his time previous to this working at his trade. He had only four hundred and fifty dollars with which to make his start, but he has done well at ranching and has made a success. He had but one young cow when he started ranching and from
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Marilyn J. Estrada, T&C Miller