were the first white men to settle in this region, and they took up homesteads in section 33, township 27, range 47, on which our subject lived for some years and later located in section 34, township 28, range 47, putting up a dugout in which he and his family, consisting of wife and two sons, lived for a number of years. His first team was a pair of oxen, and with these he broke up land and planted crops, remaining on the place for thirteen years, and during the early days made a living by teaming from Pine Ridge hauling timber and fuel, and during these trips was obliged to sleep out nights on the ground under his wagon. Many times he has camped out on the snow-covered ground in the severest weather.
In 1899 Mr. Kittelman settled on his present farm, and he has a ranch of six hundred and forty acres here, two hundred and fifty of which is used for farming purposes, and all of it fenced and improved with good buildings and everything necessary in the way of machinery and tools for conducting a model ranch and farm. Besides this deeded land he controls five quarter sections of leased land, keeping a large portion of it for pasture and hay land, and runs quite a herd of stock-about eighty-seven head of cattle and twenty-six horses. In 1903 a large barn, l36x16 feet, was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. This was filled with farming implements, including three sets of double harness, a large number of chickens and geese, etc., and was a severe loss to our subject.
Mr. Kittelman was married in 1882 to Miss
Ernestine Shrother, and of this union thirteen children have
resulted, ten of whom are living and named as follows: Rinehold,
Moritz, Anna, Robert, Gernhard, Willie, Eda, Paul, Pauline and
Clarence, all born and raised in this county. Adolph, Gustave and
Bronu are deceased. Mrs. Kittelman died here May 1, 1907, and in
the same year our subject was married again, taking as his second
wife Mrs. Marie Gaylor, a widow, native of Germany, who came to
America in 1894. Mrs. Gaylor was mother of two children before her
marriage to Mr. Kittelman - Anna, aged fourteen years, and Otto,
twelve years old. On another page will be found a picture of the
family and ranch property.
Among the early settlers in western Nebraska who have watched the growth of this section from the time it was practically a vast wilderness, and who has given liberally of his time, money and influence in building up the region, the name of the gentleman above mentioned deserves a prominent place. Mr. Barker came here when he was one of the few settlers in Dawes county, and has seen the country grow from a wild region to its present prosperity, and is proud of the fact that he has been a part of this growth.
Mr. Barker was born in Carbon county, Pennsylvania, in 1853. His father, Solomon Barker, was a farmer, laborer and teamster, and his family had lived in Pennsylvania for generations. Our subject was reared and educated in his native state, living at home until he was sixteen years old, then struck out for himself. He had worked in the coal mines driving a mule team from the time he was eight years of age, and was well versed in the hardships and experiences of this life. He learned the blacksmith's trade after leaving home and worked at that for ten years, then quit that work and for three years ran a hoisting engine. He was employed by one mining company, the Cox Bros. & Company, for eleven years.
In 1883 Mr. Barker left the east and came to Nebraska, locating in Gage county, but only remained there for six months, and in the fall of 1884 he landed in Dawes county, teaming from the former place and camping out nights along the road. He settled on section 28, township 31, range 51, and started to build up a home, his family following him here the next year, they coming by stage from Sidney, and during this trip their stage was attacked by highwaymen. Their first building was a log house without a floor. His start was on a very small beginning, as he had only fifty dollars in money, no team nor tools, but he managed to get along and proved up on his preemption, later taking a homestead in section 93, township 31, range 51. He had a dugout on the latter place, and the family went through many hardships and privations, but
never became discouraged and finally succeeded in building up their farm in good shape. In 1896 Mr. Barker went to Cambria, Wyoming, and there worked at his trade, employed by Kilpatrick Bros. & Collins, remaining there for a time, but returned to Nebraska and located on his former homestead on Ash creek. Here he has plenty of natural timber, good water and every kind of wild fruit, and has a fine farm and home. He owns seven hundred and sixty acres, farming sixty acres of this and has the rest in pasture. He is engaged in stock raising to quite an extent, running about forty cattle and twelve horses.
Mr. Barker was married in 1877 to Miss Fannie Wenner and they had one son, Charles. Mrs. Barker died September 23, 1903, and her death was sincerely mourned by her husband and son and a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
On March 3, 1907, Mr. Barker was married again to Mrs. Mary J. Barker, daughter of William and Alice Casebier, old settlers in Nebraska, who came here in the early days, the father being a freighter. One child has been born to this union, Clayton F. Mrs. Barker had one child by her first marriage, Joseph W., and she was the widow of Charles Barker when our subject married her.
Mr. Barker has always taken an active interest in local affairs, has become identified with the new party movement and aided in the organization of the new forces, although he does not seek public office. He is held in the highest esteem by his associates, and is one of the solid and substantial men of his community.
Among those who have contributed largely to the prosperity of Brown county, Nebraska, and whose patient industry and well directed energy have brought individual competence, may be mentioned August Sisson, whose estate lies in section 6, township 30, range 21;
Mr. Sisson is a native of the state of Ohio, born in Geauga county, August 27, 1850. His father, Lorenzo Sisson, was a farmer, of American stock, and died in 1870 while the family still lived in Ohio. After his death Mrs. Sisson moved to Shelby county, Iowa, with her three children, and remained there for several years, then came in 1880 to Brown county, Nebraska, where the family was one of the early settlers in that state. Our subject is the second of his mother's children, and during his boyhood years learned to do all kinds of hard farm and dairy work, in which they were engaged. In 1880 he purchased a small farm in Shelby county, Iowa, but within the year sold this out and came to Brown county, where he settled on section 29, township 31, range 21. He also took a pre-emption, and the first building he put up was a log house with a dirt floor. He immediately began cultivating his land, and bought a drove of thirty head of cattle, of which he lost twenty-eight head in the winter of 1880-81 from the storms and severe weather which prevailed throughout this section. The family went through many hardships and privations during these first years, being compelled to live on nothing but hulled corn for one whole week. He spent his time in cutting cedar posts and hauling them to Long Pine, where he sold them, in this manner obtaining money to buy provisions. Although he went through very hard times here he stuck to this farm until 1891, and then bought the Boone creek mill and the farm on which it was located. He went to work improving the farm, putting up buildings and fences, and began operating the mill, grinding flour, feed, etc., and for a time did a large business, but when the dry years came he had a hard time to get enough to do to pay for running it. In the early days there were no railroads near his farm, and in 1880 he was obliged to make a trip to Oakdale, a distance of one hundred and twenty miles, to get a load of corn. He made the trip there all right, but on his return journey he was almost home when the wagon tipped over into Oak creek, losing the whole load. In the spring of that year Jasper Stanley, who was an employe, made a trip to Atkinson, a distance of fifty miles, for a load of corn, consuming seventeen days for the journey, such was the condition of the roads. When he got as far as Boone creek on his return journey the river had risen so high that he was unable to cross with the team. He hitched the team securely, as he thought, and swam across the stream with a sack of flour on his back, but before he could re-cross the creek his horses had broken loose and got at the corn and ate so much that two of them died. About this time supplies had gotten very low at home and he was obliged to make a hasty trip for another load of feed to keep them going. These are only two out of many incidents and difficulties which beset the early settlers in this locality, but they were all brave-hearted and sturdy people, and it took more than these trifles to discourage them. Mr. Sisson is now the owner of a six hundred and forty-acre farm and engages in both farming and stock raising. The residence
burned December 4, 1907, and he immediately built a modern home on the north side of the creek. This new house is supplied with running water and other modern conveniences.
On February 25; 1872, Mr. Sisson was married to Miss Minnie Swett, born in Iowa, a daughter of Alanson Swett an old settler in Nebraska, a sketch of whose life will be found on another page of this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Sisson are the parents of eight children, named as follows: Ada, wife of Philip Parsons, of California; Frank, Ralph, Edyth, wife of Arthur Toliver, of Ainsworth; Arthur, Lee, Marie and Carl.
Mr. Sisson has been a member of the reform parties in politics. He is a gentleman of intelligence and a public-spirited citizen, esteemed and respected by his associates.
C. F. Snyder, who occupies a prominent place among the younger members of the farming community of Kimball county, is proprietor of. a valuable estate. He is associated with his brother, W. J. Snyder, and they are among the progressive and well-to-do worthy citizens of their locality.
Our subject was born in Otis, Laporte county, Indiana, July 20, 1876, and lived there until he was seven years of age, when the whole family came to Nebraska, settling in Douglas county. W. J. Snyder, his brother, was born in Laporte county in 1878. There the father bought land and built up a good farm and home, still residing on the place, the mother's death having occurred in Omaha in 1908. Our subject remained in Douglas county up to 1895, helping his father on the home ranch, then located on a farm in Washington county, which he operated up to 1902. At that time he came to Kimball county and purchased the Newell ranch, situated on section 30, township 15, range 57, this place containing in all five hundred and eighty acres. He also purchased the old Fred Baker place, containing three hundred and twenty acres, using the two as a stock ranch. He has been very successful in his enterprises, having a fine bunch of horses of about one hundred head; also runs a large herd of Hereford cattle, owning some very fine animals of both kinds. A large part of his ranch is used for hay and pasture, and besides this he has a dairy farm in connection with his other stock raising business, having a good income from this source. During 1908 Mr. Snyder purchased the L. C. Kinney ranch of six hundred and seventy-seven acres, which is situated on sections 1 and 31, townships 14 and 15, ranges 57 and 58, which is now the home ranch. The large ranching business is managed jointly by our subject and his brother, W. J., the latter born in the same town with C. F., and who has followed practically the same career with his brother. He was married in Omaha, July 29, 1906, to Miss Marie Blaze, and they have one child, Roger Charles. Our subject was married in March, 1896, at Omaha, to Rosa Bauer, who was born in Germany and came to America two years previous to her marriage. They have three children, Harry, Minnie and Annie.
W. F. Snyder, the father of C. F. and W. J. Snyder, was born in Germany, August 9, 1843, and came to the United States when about seven years of age, his parents settling in Michigan City, Indiana, where they raised their family. He came to Nebraska, locating in Douglas county, and was one of the pioneers of that section. He was married at Laporte, Indiana, on August 30, 1875, to Miss Minnie Rogert, and had three children, all boys, the subject of this review being the eldest of the family. The youngest son, H. A. Snyder, is now a resident of Omaha. W. F. Snyder was a soldier in the Civil war, enlisting in Company K, Eighty-third Indiana Infantry, as a private, on October 8, 1862, going as a substitute for his father, who was unable to fill draft. He served under Sherman and was mustered out at Fort Schuyler, New York Harbor, on the 29th of May, 1864. He made Douglas county his home up to 1908, then came to live with his sons on their ranch. He is a sturdy old gentleman, still hale and hearty, and is a representative western ranchman. Since coming west both our subject and his brother, W. J., have taken an active part in developing the country. They are both well and favorably known and are among the progressive citizens of the county. Our subject is now postmaster of Bushnell. He is also serving as constable and has been a member of the school board since 1902. W. J. Snyder is now road overseer.
Richard Greenland claims nativity in the state of Pennsylvania, where he was born on a farm in Huntingdon county in 1853. His great-grand father was born in Ireland. Our subject's father was Ezra Greenland, a native of Pennsylvania. His mother, Elizabeth
(Maddon) Greenland, was also of Irish ancestry, born in Pennsylvania.
Richard Greenland was married March 15, to Miss Mary Adelle Harvey, daughter of Benjamin A. Harvey, an old settler of Loup county, Nebraska, of the days when the Indians still roamed the prairies. Mr. and Mrs. Greenland have had seven children, only two living, Frank and Albert.
The subject of our sketch was reared on a farm in Pennsylvania, doing farm work and receiving only a limited schooling. At the age of twenty he left his native state and came west to Chicago, where he remained for a short time and then he came to Omaha, Nebraska, where he worked out for two years. In 1878 he went to Ogallala and commenced ranching, working on various ranches in western Nebraska. He had a number of years of experience as a cowboy, camping out and roughing it in many sections of the west. In 1883 he settled on his present farm, a homestead, put up a sod shanty, and, with practically nothing, commenced laying the foundations of the splendid ranch home he now occupies. He has six hundred and forty acres of deeded land, with good improvements, and he meets with fine success in farming and stock raising. He has one of the finest groves of forest trees that can be found anywhere in the county, some of the trees being planted by our subject twenty-one years ago. Mr. Greenland came to this country in a very early day, first in 1874, and took a pre-emption claim on the North Loup river, in Loup county, and remained for several months. Later he was taken sick with typhoid fever and was obliged to give up his claim. He is among the earliest pioneers of western Nebraska and has witnessed the wonderful growth of the state with pleased interest. Mr. Greenland is an independent in politics and he believes in supporting the men and party that represent those principles which conduce most to the general good. He was county commissioner for three years, being first elected in 1890.
He has held other offices and has proven capable and trustworthy, winning the respect and confidence of the community in which he lives.
The gentleman herein named was one of the prosperous farmers of Cherry county, owning a farm on section 28, township 33, range 33, where he has a well improved place. Mr. Johnson was born in Moline, Illinois, in 1866, and is a son of Charles and Hannah (Gustavson) Johnson, natives of Sweden, who came to this country when young people. When our subject was two years old his parents moved to Hamilton county, Iowa, and there their family of eight children was reared. At the age of twenty-one Harris left home and located in Cherry county, where he followed ranching for some years in the hope of benefiting his health. There he was married and he and his wife both worked on one ranch for five and a half years. In 1898 he purchased a tract on the Niobrara river, and later took an additional homestead of four hundred and eighty acres. all grazing land, and was engaged in the stock business, running about fifty head all the time. Owing to failing health he went to Colorado, hoping to recuperate, but passed away at Colorado Springs on February 29, 1908.
In 1891 he married Miss Ida Hook, daughter of John F. Hook, whose sketch appears in this work. Mrs. Johnson was born in Hamilton county, Iowa, in 1864. They have one daughter, named Alice.
For a number of years Mr. Johnson served as school director in his district, and always took an active interest in all educational matters. He was a Republican and prominent in party affairs.
James F. McParland, residing in Rushville, Nebraska, is one of the influential citizens and successful business men of Sheridan county.
Mr. McParland was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1862. His father was also a native of Scotland, and his mother of Scotch blood, born in Ireland. They had a family of seven children, our subject being the second youngest, and he left home at the age of thirteen to make his own way in the world. He came to this country in 1875, and after arriving at New York city obtained employment and remained there for two years, clerking in a hotel. After that he went to Cleveland, where he spent three years, then to southwestern Minnesota. There he took charge of a farm, which he ran for two years. He next went into business for himself, running an elevator and grain business at Adrian, Minnesota, for eight years, and was also engaged in the lumber business there.
In 1889 Mr. McParland came to Sheridan county, Nebraska, arriving here in April, locating at Rushville, where he went into the
real estate business, dealing principally in land in neighboring states. He established his present office in 1901, and has built up a wide acquaintance, handling many large deals in real estate during his business career here. Mr. McParland has traveled extensively, investigating all the important irrigation projects in the west, journeying through Washington, Oregon, Utah, Idaho and California, and hunting out localities where irrigation projects were possible. Politically he is a Republican, and takes an active part in party affairs. In 1905 he was elected county commissioner, now serving in that capacity, and is a popular and efficient official, acting as chairman of the board. For several years he was a member of the town board, and is prominent in all local and county political circles.
Mr. McParland was married on May 31, 1889, to Miss Annie Hughes, daughter of John Hughes, who was one of the oldest settlers in northeastern Iowa. To Mr. and Mrs. McParland have been born the following children: Mary, Gladys, Beatrice and James F. The family is highly esteemed in the community, and have one of the most pleasant homes here.
Frank J. Hipple, who may be truly classed among the self-made men of Cherry county, is proprietor of a well improved ranch in Minichaduza precinct. He has devoted his entire time and attention to the building up of his home and has met with pronounced success, well meriting his present prosperity.
Mr. Hipple was born in the village of
Stolzenbagen, province of East Prussia, Germany. December 14,
1865. His father, John Hipple, was a farmer there, coming to
America with his family of three children, our subject at that
time being the youngest, and fifteen years of age. They sailed
from Hamburg in the White Star liner Cassius, landing in New York
city January 8, 1881. They immediately started for the southwest,
settling in Little Rock, Arkansas, near where the father still
resides, at Subiaco Convent, not far from Spielerville. Our
subject studied two years at Koenigsberg, in the old country, with
the view of entering the priesthood, as his brother has done. At
the age of twenty-two he started in for himself, engaging in
cotton raising for seven years on leased land. On November 1,
1894, he came to Valentine, Nebraska. whence he drove to Georgia
and filed on a homestead the following week. He at once put up a
dugout and began to break up his place. On reaching here he had
only sixteen dollars, and of this he paid fourteen dollars in land
office fees, which left him a capital of two dollars for his start
in life. He worked out for a year to maintain himself in
provisions. He afterwards relinquished on that place and filed on
his present homestead, situated in section 34, township 35. range
30, Cherry county. Here he has established a good ranch,
containing nine hundred and sixty acres, half of deeded land and
half of Kincaid homestead, while his wife also owns four hundred
and eighty acres of deeded land. In addition Mr. Hipple holds a
lease on a half section of school land. His place is located on
the Minichaduza creek, and he engages principally in stock
raising, running from one hundred to two hundred head of cattle,
fifty horses and other stock. Of late years he has been able to
raise fairly good crops of grain, cultivating about one hundred
acres at times. During the drouth periods he became discouraged
with this branch of the business after losing four crops in
succession. A view of the family residence and surroundings will
be found on another page of this work.
Our subject is active in all matters of local importance and does all in his power to aid in the educational and commercial advancement of his locality. He has held school office at different times. Politically he is a Republican and in religious faith a member of the Catholic church.
Many a brave pioneer has come to the western plains with nothing but a strong heart and willing hands, and from a start of nothing has carved out for himself a fortune and home, and is now prepared to enjoy the remaining years of his career in comfort and plenty, surrounded by his family and a host of warm friends, esteemed and respected by all.
Dominic Haas was born in Luxemburg, Germany, in 1864. His father, Peter, was a
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Marilyn J. Estrada, T&C Miller