NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center-
On Line Library

Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska

Horizontal Bar

page 526

     Mr. Allen has not confined himself to a trade in hay alone, but is engaged in a hardware and agricultural implement business at Atkinson, which he established in May, 1902, and which has more than met all his expectations. In 1906, however, he received such flattering offers for the plant that he disposed of it, and opened a branch house at Stuart for handling hay and baling accessories under the firm name of Shaal & Allen, a business that has prospered from its inception. He is general manager of the Newport, Hammond and Southern telephone line, manager of the Newport Heat and Light Company, and owns a fourth interest in a similar plant at Atkinson.

     Mr. Allen was married December 20, 1893, to Miss Alta M. Miller. Her father, Daniel S. Miller, is an old settler in Rock county and is regarded as one of its most honorable and reliable citizens. Her mother's maiden name was Ann Eliza Duboise. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have two children: William Harold and Florence May. Mr. Allen is an enlightened and public-spirited citizen, and has served on the town board. He is a Republican in politics. Fraternally he is a member of the Masonic order at Long Pine, the Odd Fellows and the Workmen at Newport, the Modern Woodmen at Atkinson and the Elks at Norfolk.

     Mr. Allen has a neat cottage home on Second street, a view of which may be seen on another page of this work, together with views of two of his large hay warehouses.

Picture button

     John H. Fernau (deceased), who resided in Brown county, Nebraska, was one of the leading old-timers of this locality. Mr. Fernau was born in Germany, September 9, 1836. His father was by trade a shoemaker, and left Germany with his family when our subject was a child one year old, coming to the United States, where they settled on a farm in New York state. They lived there until their family had grown up, educating the children in the common schools, and teaching them to do all kinds of hard farm work. When John was sixteen years old he, with his parents, came west, locating in Washington county, Wisconsin, where they bought a farm and here he remained until he reached the age of twenty-one, when he started in life on his own account, following farm work, securing employment on farms in the neighborhood of his parents' home.

      At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Company B, Forty-fifth Wisconsin Infantry, and with his company was ordered to Tennessee. Here the regiment took part in the battle of Nashville and succeeding engagements in the west.

     At the close of the war he received an honorable discharge, and vent back to his old home in Wisconsin, where his parents still resided, and followed farming there up to 1868, when he went to Buchanan county, Iowa, where he opened up a farm and was among the pioneer settlers in that county. He remained there for sixteen years, and although he met with very good success, became dissatisfied and moved on to Brown county in 1884, taking up a homestead in section 9, township 30, range 21. Here he at once went to work erecting buildings and adding improvements to his place, and from the start was very successful in everything he undertook. He had some discouragements, and went through the usual pioneer's experiences, doing his full share toward building up the farming interests in this locality.

     On September 3, 1861, Mr. Fernau was married to Miss Caroline C. Fry, in Wisconsin. She was born in Alsace, Germany, then a province of France, and came to this country with her parents when but two years old. Mr. and Mrs. Fernau had six children, named as follows: Lizzie, wife of Gus Swartz; Levina, who married George Orchid; John; Polly, now Mrs. John Berger; Joe, and Lottie, wife of Harry Lane.

     In 1899 Mr. Fernau sold his homestead to his son, Joe, and purchased land adjoining on which he erected a fine set of farm buildings, and established another farm which he steadily improved.

     At the time of his death, April 4, 1907, Mr. Fernau was possessed of two hundred and forty acres of fine agricultural and grazing land. He took a keen interest in all matters pertaining to his locality, and was one of those who aid their influence for the betterment of the people around him. Politically he was a Republican and was a member of the Lutheran church.


     William B. Bisher is a native of Ohio and was born in the year 1869. His father, Lewis Bisher, was also a native of Ohio and was one of the pioneers of Loup county, Nebraska. Our subject's mother, Sarah (Waits) Bisher, was also a native of Ohio.

     When William B. Bisher was ten years old the whole family moved to Indiana, where he was reared on a farm. In 1888 the family came west, settling near to Taylor, the county

Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska

Horizontal Bar

page 527

seat of Loup county, Nebraska. Our subject began working out by the month, continuing to do so for ten years. He worked hard and faithfully to get some money ahead, but his fortune did not grow very rapidly, especially during the depressing times from 1890 to 1896, when he could earn only fifty cents to seventy-five cents per day. In 1900, he located a homestead in the sand hills of Garfield county, where he remained about a year, then purchasing a farm near Burwell, making his headquarters there for six years. In 1906, he bought the farm where he now lives, on section 31, township 21, range 18, and has been devoting his energies to making it one of the model places of the community. He has two hundred and four acres in the place, with about one hundred and twenty acres under cultivation, and has a good house, barns, fences and other improvements. Industry and enterprise have been among his chief characteristics and his well directed efforts have brought him a very comfortable competence. He holds an honorable position in the regard of his fellows.

     William B. Bisher was married in 1900 to Miss Kate Woods, whose father, Ross Woods, was one of the first pioneers on the North Loup river - her mother's maiden name was Fanny Olger. Mr. and Mrs. Bisher have six children: Willie, Lilly, Fannie, Mabel, Arthur and a baby, not named.


     George Kalb. a resident of Swan precinct, Deuel county, is one of the earliest settlers in that region. He has not only witnessed the wonderful transformation of this country from a wild and uncultivated state to one of thrift and prosperity and a region rich in agriculture. but he has been a potent factor in its development, has acquired a valuable estate and the highest esteem with those with whom he has associated for many years. He has a home of comfort, and is one of the worthy and substantial citizens of his township.

      Mr. Kalb was born in Meigs county, Ohio, on August 27, 1855. He was the eldest in his father's family of thirteen children, and grew to manhood on the home farm, attending the country schools, and early was taught to do all kinds of hard work which fitted him well for the hardships and efforts he encountered in later life. Both parents are now dead. The family moved to Richland county, Illinois, when he was about nine years of age, and there he remained until he was twenty-five years of age, then came to Platte county, Nebraska. and from there to Polk county. He homesteaded on section 12, township 13, range 44, Cheyenne county (now Deuel county), in October, 1884, and settled on the land the following spring, which he has occupied ever since. He, together with his brother and several others, were almost the first settlers on the table land, and went through the usual experiences in getting their homes started. This was perfectly wild land, with some timber, and they were obliged to erect the rudest imaginable dwellings at first, either dugouts or sod houses, as there were no facilities for obtaining finished timber, etc. However, they were able to get along fairly well, broke up some land for sod crops, and proved up on the claim in due time. He took additional land in the vicinity and became owner of a whole section of deeded land, which is well improved and equipped with every convenience for the operation of a model farm. He has one hundred and seventy-five acres cultivated, and has quite a herd of cattle and horses. During the past ten years he has erected fine buildings and made extensive improvements, and now has a substantial home and farm.

     Mr. Kalb was married at Cheyenne, Wyoming, on November 27, 1892, to Miss Lena Swartz, who is a native of Germany and came to this country about 1885. They have seven children, who are named as follows: Henry H., George G., Mary Catherine, John Jackson, Clara Daisy, Theodore and Margaret.

     Our subject is a Democrat in politics, and lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of his community, casting his votes for those who in his opinion will labor for the welfare of the people. He is a member of the school board in his district, and has held other local offices.


     One of the business men and representatives may be found in the above named gentleman, engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business at Orleans, Harlan county, Nebraska. Mr. Schumacher has resided in that city for the past fifteen years, and through his industry and good business judgment has come to be recognized as one of the leading citizens of the county. Orleans is a beautiful little city with a population of one thousand two hundred, and is the most thriving and growing town on the Denver & St. Joseph line of the Burlington route. It has four daily passenger trains, and as many freights as traffic demands. There are two good, solid banks, and it boasts of having the largest and finest opera house in the Republican Valley. It has

Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska

Horizontal Bar

page 528

two elevators, which last year shipped out three hundred cars of wheat, two hundred cars of corn, one hundred and fifty cars of cattle and one hundred and eighty cars of hogs. Many cattle and sheep are fed in this vicinity on account of the large acreage of alfalfa, making a good market for all crops raised here. It also has large flour and oat-meal mills, and will soon have a large alfalfa mill located here. A large percentage of the population of the surrounding country is of Swedish and German descent, typical of these nationalities, and they make good farmers, being distinguished for their industry and steadiness. The cultivation of alfalfa has made dairying an important industry, and the town is a great cream shipping point. The town has an eleven-grade high school and a fine seminary with an attendance of two hundred pupils each term. It has six churches, one of which is the most beautiful in point of structure between Omaha and Denver.

     Mr. Schumacher is a native of Iowa and he located in the town of Nebraska in 1894. and settled in Orleans in the same year. He opened his present business in 1903 and has been very successful from the start, advertising this portion of Nebraska all over Iowa and Illinois, and has been instrumental in bringing in a great many settlers.


     Rollin Poland, whose very complete and well appointed farm and ranch in section 35, township 32, range 35, shows him a progressive and industrious tiller of the soil, and whose high standing with his neighbors attests his real worth and character, is one of the leading citizens of Cherry county, and a good illustration of the successful Nebraskan settler, who has made his home in this state from an early date, and has had the courage to endure the hard conditions of early settlement, regardless of trial and trouble. It has taken courage to pass through pioneer days and hold on despite drouths and hailstorms and tornadoes and blizzards, but those who have done it have come into possession of a large patrimony of ease and comfort in the ownership of fruitful farms and ranches with cattle upon a thousand hills, and herds of horses and blooded swine. Mr. Poland has lived to possess and enjoy; and what he has is his by no accident but because he has earned it and is entitled to the fruits of his labors.

      Rollin Poland was born in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, October 15, 1865, a son of George W. and Mary T. (Parrish) Poland, American born, but of Scotch descent. The father was a native of New York, and served in the United States navy for three years. He had a family of six children, of whom two were girls, Rollin being the first born in the family circle.

     When he was twenty-two years of age, the subject of this article took upon his own shoulders the burden of his own support, and leaving home was employed for a season at St. Louis, Minneapolis, and elsewhere along the Mississippi river on the government dykes. In 1891, after a brief visit home, he determined to see what the far west, as it was then pronounced, could do for him, and for that purpose appeared in Cherry county, Nebraska; here he was employed on the Churn ranch for four and a half years before he took up a homestead for himself, a tract of land which he still holds. By hard work and close management he has been able to increase his first original land holdings until he has become prosperous if not wealthy. His entire ranch now comprises eight hundred and twenty acres, of which but little is devoted to cultivation, Mr. Poland depending very largely upon the products of a stock farm for his profits. At the present writing he is keeping about two hundred and fifty cattle, and a smaller number of horses. His beginning consisted of two cows with calves and a team of horses lacking harness, wagon and farm implements, quite different from his present equipment.

     Rollin Poland became a husband and the head of a household, January 1, 1895, when his matrimonial destinies were united with those of Miss Nettie B. Hook, who was born in Hamilton county, Iowa, in 1879. Her father, John Frank Hook, a sketch of whom appears in this volume. is now a resident of Cherry county. His wife, Martha Hill, the mother of Mrs. Poland, was also American born and bred. Mr. Poland has one child, Martha Ann.

     In all political matters Mr. Poland is inclined to a strict independence, seeking for best men and wisest measures. In concerns of national importance he tends towards the Republican party, but insists that private judgment should determine in the last resort. With his measure of success in Nebraska he is well satisfied, and doubts if he could have accomplished any more with the means at his disposal anywhere in the land. Here he has a fine home, with water piped into the house: and light and heat and comfort in all its hospitable recesses. He began with nothing, and has made his own way to a considerable fortune. When he bought his first bill of groceries with which to begin housekeeping it called for all the money he had left from buying and building, but Providence provided a way and their larder has never been empty. Mr. Poland has

Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska

Horizontal Bar

page 529

some alfalfa growing on his land and it seems to have taken a strong hold on the soil. The district school is on his ranch, in which he is much interested. A view of the family residence and the surrounding buildings will be found elsewhere in this work.


     The gentleman above named is a leading agriculturist of Sheridan county. Nebraska, where he has built up a comfortable home and farm in township 25. range 44.

     Mr. Cody was born in Dubuque county. Iowa, in 1865, and raised in the town of Dubuque. He is a son of Edward Cody, who was born and raised in Ireland, coming to Canada in the pioneer days, and later to the United States, where he settled in Iowa about the year 1850. Our subject's mother was Miss Mary Devlin, born and raised in Ireland, who came to this country when a young girl. Mr. Cody started out for himself at the age of fourteen years. His father died in 1868. and he was taken to raise by some friends of the family, and he left their care as soon as he was able to take care of himself, and worked out on farms in Iowa for eight years. In 1887 he came to Nebraska in company with W. G. Wilson, securing employment on the Burlington & Missouri railroad, having worked with Mr. Wilson some little time before coming to this state. He took up a pre-emption after locating here, and proved up on it. still working for Mr. Wilson, and in all spent nine years on the road. He afterwards sold his pre-emption together with a tree claim, which he had taken up. He had planted over two thousand seven hundred trees and none of them grew, so his hard work and the expense for the shrubs were all in vain. After disposing of this place he took up another homestead and proved up on it. working out on neighboring ranches in the vicinity most of the time.

     In 1904 Mr. Cody bought his present home of four hundred and eighty acres deeded land, and also has taken up an additional four hundred and eighty-acre homestead. He leases some land besides running his own farm, which he uses for hay land, as he has not enough on his place. He is engaged principally in cattle raising, and keeps about one hundred and twenty head, but does not handle horses to any great extent. He is just getting nicely started in the stock business, and is sorry he did not start in at this earlier, as he thinks he can make money at it, and make it much easier than by farming. He has his land all fenced, and a complete set of good farm buildings, which makes his estate a valuable one. There is no government land left near his farm, all of this having been taken up.

      Mr. Cody was married in 1900 to Miss Julia Dunn, born in Ireland. She, together with a sister came to this country in 1899, her parents still living in Ireland on a farm. Mr. and Mrs. Cody have two children: Thomas, born March 22, 1901, and Margaret, born October 29, 1903. Mrs. Cody owned a claim here which they lived on until proving up, and together they had a pretty fair start on getting married. The only drawback to the locality in which they reside is that it is situated so far from any school, the nearest one being four and one-half miles away, but Mr. Cody states that they will remain on the farm for awhile at least.

     Mr. Cody is not a party man, but votes for the best man on the ticket, although he does not take any active part in politics. He has spent his time and given his whole attention to the building up of his home and farm, and feels well repaid for what he has done. His postoffice address is Lakeside, Nebraska.


     The gentleman herein named is one of the leading old settlers of western Nebraska, locating in Dawes county in 1886. and has since made that region his home, building up a good farm and valuable property. Mr. Norman has done his full share in the upbuilding of the locality, and is well and favorably known to all residing in this section of the state as a worthy gentleman and good citizen.

     Mr. Norman was born in Scott county, Iowa, in 1860. His father. William S. Norman, born in Virginia, was a mechanic and farmer, who came to Iowa in the early stages of the development of that state, and went through pioneer experiences there with his family, where our subject was reared. The father later took up government land in Dawes county, Nebraska. and lived here for some years. During his young manhood our subject worked in the saw mills in eastern Iowa, spending most of his time between fourteen and twenty-one years in that work, then moved to the western part of the state, settling in Carroll county. Iowa, on a farm on which he remained for four years. He first landed in Dawes county in the spring of 1886, joining his father, who had come some little time previous. The son took up a homestead in section 35, township 33, range 48, and still occupies this farm. His first house was a log cabin, and when he landed here he had a team of

Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska

Horizontal Bar

page 530

horses, wagon and one cow to start with. He began on a very small scale, and worked at anything that came to his hand in order to get a start, hauling wood for a living, and at the same time building up and improving his farm. He had fair success with his crops from the first, and although he was visited by the drouths he was always able to raise a good crop of potatoes and some garden stuff, and managed to get along very well.

     He now owns a ranch of six hundred and forty acres of deeded land and leases one hundred and sixty acres adjoining, cultivating about one hundred acres, and has twenty-five acres of nicely growing alfalfa from which he cuts good crops each season. His place is located on Big Bordeaux creek, and has plenty of good clear running water the year round. His principal work is stock raising, dealing largely in :horses and cattle.

     Mr. Norman is active in public affairs in his locality, and among the leading citizens, lending his influence and aid for the good of his community. He is an Independent voter.

     Mr. Norman was united in marriage December 24, 1884, while living in Carroll county, Iowa, to Miss Ida Gray, whose father, Jerome Gray, was a blacksmith by trade, and owner of a farm in that region. Her mother was Miss Jane Hill, of England, coming to America when sixteen years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Norman are the parents of two children, namely: Laura, married, wife of Myron Fisher, of Eagle Grove, Iowa, and Ernest, twelve years of age, living with his father and mother. Mr. Norman's father-in-law, Jerome Gray, lives with him and is quite active at the age of eighty years.


     Charles H. Weller, an enterprising and successful business man of Chadron, Nebraska, was born in Richland county, Wisconsin, in 1856. His father, William Weller, was a farmer of Pennsylvania Dutch origin, and his mother of Irish stock, the latter dying when our subject was four years old.

     When he reached the age of ten he also lost his father and from that time on was compelled to shift for himself, and he managed to get enough to do at all sorts of employment to make a living, in 1870 moving to Iowa, where he followed farming for two years.

     Mr. Weller first came to Nebraska in 1872, crossing the Missouri at Omaha, locating at St. Paul, where he farmed for a time, and in 1875 came through western Nebraska on a government survey expedition, traveling through Cherry and Sheridan counties. He spent a year in this work, then went into the Black Hills with a large party of settlers, there being sixteen wagons and twenty-four men in the outfit. They struck Custer on July 4, 1886, there took up mining claims and worked them up to cold weather, then returned to St. Paul, where our subject spent the winter. In 1877 he went on another government survey and spent two years in the work, then began working as a cowboy in Nebraska and also in Wyoming, riding all over the western plains and following a frontiersman's life up to 1885. In 1886 he started in business at Harrison and remained there up to the spring of 1892, then located in Chadron, where he has since remained. Here he has carried on a saloon business and billiard room.

     Mr. Weller was married in 1903 to Miss Minnie Rice, of Chadron, Nebraska, daughter of Alonzo and Jennie Rice, of American stock. They have no children.

     Mr. Weller is numbered among the leading old-timers of this region, and has aided materially since first locating in this country in the development of the commercial interests of the locality. He is a business man of more than ordinary ability and has gained the respect and esteem of his fellowmen, all of whom admire him for his sterling character and strict integrity. Politically he is a Democrat. A picture of Mr. Weller's residence will be found on another page.

Picture button

     For over a quarter of a century the gentleman whose name heads this personal history has been associated with the agricultural interests of Phelps county, Nebraska, and as an old settler and one of its worthy citizens he is prominently known all through this section.

     Mr. Young is a native of Jon Koping, Smoland, Sweden, born in 1854. He came to this country in 1872, accompanied by his father and mother. The family settled in Iroquois county, Illinois, where they took a farm and remained for six years, then moved to Nebraska, locating on a homestead in Industry township, Phelps county. Our subject also took a homestead directly adjoining his father's, and still lives on this farm. He built a sod house, and began breaking up his land for crops. He has gradually improved his place, and now owns four hundred and forty acres, renting a part of the land, and working the balance himself. His farm is well stocked, and he engages in mixed farming and stock

Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska

Horizontal Bar

page 531

raising, generally keeping from fifty to one hundred hogs, which he ships to market. He has good graded cattle, and is just starting a thoroughbred Shorthorn herd. He also breeds horses for farm purposes, and has twenty-two head at the present time.

     Mr. Young has had experience in farming in Illinois, and greatly prefers this state to Illinois, as the wet seasons there did more damage to crops than the dry weather ever does here. He has raised fine crops ever since starting with the exceptions of the drouth periods, when no one had any luck, and his corn crop is fine every year. He has raised as high as ten thousand bushels of grain in a single year, and states that he is well satisfied with the conditions in Nebraska.

     In 1884 Mr. Young was married to Miss Emma Johnson, a native of Sweden. They have a family of nine children, who are named as follows: Frank W., farming on his own account, residing at home of our subject; Elmer E., who died in 1906, aged nineteen years; Annie, Carl, Harry, Esther, Alvin, Albert and Glenn. The family are all members of the Swedish Mission church at Loomis and are well and favorably known throughout the community.

     Mr. Young takes a commendable interest in local affairs. He was a member of the county board for Industry township for two terms, and has been justice of peace and assessor, also a member of the school board for eighteen years, resigning this position and again accepting. In politics he is an Independent voter.


     An old settler in Keya Paha county, Nebraska, who has done his full share in the building up of the commercial interests of his county, and built up for himself an enviable reputation as a business man and worthy citizen will be found in the person of the gentleman whose name heads this personal history. He resides in Norden, and is engaged in the livery business.

      Mr. Black was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, January 10, 1842. He is a son of John Black, born in the north part of Ireland in 1816, and was a pioneer settler in Iowa county, Wisconsin, in 1855, and again in Burt county, Nebraska, in 1866; his death occurred in Tekamah in 1892. Our subject was the oldest of his father's family of eight children, four of whom are still living. At the age of thirteen years he moved to Wisconsin with his parents, where he remained until he was twenty-four years old, then came to Nebraska, settling in Burt county in 1866, migrating with his parents. He remained at home for three years more, then started in farming for himself on a farm of eighty acres, but sold this after a short time. In 1884 he came to Keya Paha county, locating close to the town of Norden, taking a homestead and remaining on it until he had proved up. He put up a sod building, which was his home for several years. Here he went through the drouth periods, so familiar to the early settlers in this locality, experiencing many hardships and privations. These were his hardest times.

     In 1896 he moved to Norden, built a hotel which he conducted successfully about ten years; the same year he established a livery business, also still retaining that branch of the work, and has a large and lucrative trade in Norden and the surrounding country. He disposed of his hotel property in 1905, and afterwards purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres located north of Norden, on which he has planted orchards and forest trees, and has cultivated fifty acres. The balance is in hay land, supplying a good crop each season.

     In 1867 Mr. Black was married to Miss Mary Metzler, in Burt county, Nebraska. Four children were born to them, namely: John, born in 1872, married, and engaged in farming in Sioux county; Frank, farming in North Dakota; Maria, married to Levi Nettleton, also residing in North Dakota; Maude, a graduate in music from the Chicago Musical College, of which she has served as principal.

     On February 22, 1888, Mr. Black was married the second time to Mrs. Catherine Wentworth, a daughter of John and Ann (Gardner) Carr, the former born in Ireland in 1814. Politically Mr. Black is a strong Republican.


     Henry H. Lacy, one of the enterprising and energetic citizens of Sioux county, Nebraska, and who takes high rank for his many manly and sterling qualities of heart and mind, was born at Iowa Center, Iowa, July 14, 1877, and is deservedly popular in his community as a worthy resident and public-spirited gentleman.

     Mr. Lacy is a son of Patrick Lacy, born in Canada, who came to the United States in 1875, and settled in Iowa, and later was among the pioneers of Sioux county, Nebraska. He married Elsie Hudgin, also a native of Canada, and when our subject was an infant of three months the mother died. The father removed to Iowa and remained there until Henry was seventeen years of age, when the family came to Sioux

Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska

Horizontal Bar

page 532

county and settled in Harrison, where they spent the winter of 1894, and the following spring located on a rented farm situated three miles northwest of Harrison. Father and son remained on that farm for about four years, then the latter filed on a homestead in section 14, township 32, range 57. He at once started to improve his claim, using a team of broncho ponies, and broke up some land and put in crops. He proved up on the place, built a good home and filed on a Kincaid eighty acres of land adjoining his original farm and is now owner of two hundred and forty acres. He cultivates about ninety acres of this, raising wheat, oats, corn, etc. He has done considerable experimenting with grasses and grains since coming here to ascertain those best suited to the soil of this region, and is a progressive and up-to-date agriculturist. His place is well supplied with good buildings, all fenced and cross-fenced, and he has a splendid supply of good water from deep water wells, fitted with windmills and tanks. Mr. Lacy keeps only enough stock for domestic purposes. He has acquired a nice property through his industry and good management, beginning with practically no capital but his own determination and energy. During the past two years he has suffered quite severe losses from hail storms, which have swept this section of the country.

     Mr. Lacy was married in 1891 to Miss Bertha Dieckman, whose father was born in Germany, and came to America with his bride during the early days of the settlement of this region, locating in Sioux county in 1894, where they were among the pioneers and assisted materially in the development and upbuilding of that section. Mr. and Mrs. Lacy have a family of two children, Herbert, born April 20, 1904, and Robert, born January 26, 1906.

      Mr. Lacy takes an active interest in local affairs and does his full share as a public-spirited citizen of his community.


     Benjamin F. Brown, residing on section 27, township 9, range 38, is truly one of the self-made men and prosperous citizens of Perkins county, Nebraska. He began with very little else save a strong heart and willing hands, and through industry and persistent effort has succeeded in accumulating a nice property, being considered one of the welt-to-do and progressive agriculturists of his locality.

     Mr. Brown was born in Clairmont county, Ohio, in 1836. His grandfather, Joseph Brown, was born in France, and his father was a native of Ohio, who married Mary A. Meyers, of Pennsylvania Dutch stock, they settling in Ohio as young people, where their family was reared. In 1852 they emigrated to Iowa, locating in Lee county, lived there for two years, then went to Clark county, where they followed farming and were among the pioneers. Our subject started for himself in Iowa, farming and breaking up prairie for people in the vicinity of his parents' home, and in 1884 came to Nance county, Nebraska. After spending three years there he came on to Perkins county, shipping to Curtis, and driving the balance of the way, having, as a start, four horses and a few tools. He located on a homestead on section 27, township 9, range 38, and began to build up a farm, putting up a sod shanty sixteen feet by thirty-two feet, in which he lived for several years. During the first months he was obliged to haul his water supply three miles to his place, and went all through the good, bad and indifferent times which fell to the lot of the early settler. The drouth years did not affect him very much, and he was able to raise some fair crops, but for the most part devoted his time to stock raising. He improved his farm in good shape, has added to his acreage until he is owner of a whole section of land, on which he has placed good buildings and every convenience for its proper operation, having a comfortable house, large barns, shed, shop, fences, etc. He has planted many trees, and has different kinds of fruit, etc.

     Although Mr. Brown is now a man well along in years he does all his own work, raising many hogs and having a drove of about thirty horses and a bunch of cattle.

     Our subject was married in Iowa to Mary Herold, daughter of Drury Herold, a well known farmer of that state. To them were born seven children, named as follows: William, Lafe, Mary C., Joe O., Frank H., Flora and Clarence. The mother died in 1884.

     Politically Mr. Brown is a Republican, and takes a leading part in all local and county affairs, always lending his influence for good government and the best interests of his community.


     Wesley Seda, a thrifty and energetic resident of Cheyenne county, where his industry and business ability have put him well to the front of the procession, has passed through all the pioneer times of western Nebraska, and has gained for himself an honorable position as a worthy citizen and possesses the respect and esteem of his associates.

Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska

Horizontal Bar

page 533

     Mr. Seda was born in the village of Chrudim, Bohemia, September 28.,1865, and grew to manhood there, coming to America at the age of twenty-two years. He sailed from Hamburg to New York. After landing in this country he came directly west, settling in Cheyenne county, where he filed on a homestead in section 8, township 13, range 48, on which he lived for quite a number of years and succeeded in building up a good farm and home. He now makes his home in section 12, where he owns five hundred and sixty acres, and is largely engaged in farming, cultivating about two hundred acres. He also deals extensively in stock raising, running sixty head of cattle and ten horses. His ranch is improved with every necessary building, a fine new residence having been erected in 1908, and modern machinery, and is considered one of the prosperous and progressive farmers in his locality.

     On July 22, 1893, Mr. Seda married Jennie Vannek, who was born in Bohemia in May, 1871, and came to the United States when a young girl, locating in Cheyenne county. Mr. and Mrs. Seda have a family of six children, as follows: Henry, Rosa, James, Sophia, Annie and Mary, all living at home.

     Mr. Seda's parents resided in Cheyenne county for many years, both of whom are now dead. His wife's father is still living in the old country, at the advanced age of seventy-three years. The family are exceedingly hospitable, and have a host of friends in the community.

     Politically he is a stanch Democrat, and is firm in his convictions.


     In listing the self-made men of Cherry county, Nebraska, who have become well-to-do agriculturists and have aided materially in the development of the farming interests of this region, a prominent place is accorded the name of J. William Beed. For many years this gentleman has followed farming in this region, and has met with pronounced success. He is known as one of the substantial citizens of his precinct, and well merits his high standing.

     Mr. Beed was born in Franklin county, Iowa, on October 22, 1863, His father, Thomas Beed, was a farmer, born in England. who came to this country in his young manhood, lived in Iowa for a time and was one of the pioneer settlers in eastern Nebraska, his death occurring at Battle Creek, this state. The mother in maidenhood was Caroline Mann. There were nine children in his father's family, and he was the second member in order of birth. When he was nine years of age the family moved to Madison county, Nebraska, driving from Iowa by team, and it was in that section that he grew up. At the age of twelve years he started in for himself, working in different parts of Madison. and also in Burt county, and made several trips through western Nebraska before the railroad came in here. These were rough times, he being obliged to camp out often, and had many exciting experiences that were indelibly impressed upon his memory, of which he now tells many interesting tales of pioneer life in this state.

     In 1884 Mr. Beed took up a homestead in section 33, township 35, range 30, of Cherry county, and after building a sod house, started in farming and building up a home. He "batched it" for four years, then married, and remained on the place up to 1905, when he took a homestead under the Kincaid law and now lives on this place. His farm contains nine hundred and forty acres of good land and he engages in horse breeding to a large extent, having about sixty in his herd. He cultivates only about one hundred acres. He has built up a good home and farm here, and is proprietor of a valuable tract of land which he has acquired alone through hard work and steady thrift. His residence is located on section 29, township 35, range 30, is well supplied with good water and a large number of trees.

     In 1888 Mr. Beed was married to Miss Alice Grandon, whose father was an old settler in Cherry county. Mr. and Mrs. Beed have a family of three children, namely: Lonnie, Watson and Raymond.

     Mr. Beed is a Republican in political sentiment, and has held different local offices in past years. He affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America.


     Mrs. Elizabeth Wiberg, widow of Jonas Wiberg, who was a well known resident of township 21, range 14, Garfield county, lives on section 7, and personally superintends the management of this property with the help of her son, William D. Mrs. Wiberg is a practical farmer, as is also William, and the well tilled fields and attractive appearance of the whole farm bears evidence of their good management and business ability.

     Jonas Wiberg was born in Sweden in 1823, of industrious and thrifty parents, and grew up taught to do all kinds of hard work on their

Horizontal Bar

Prior page
Name index
Next page

© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Marilyn J. Estrada, T&C Miller