a native of Bohemia, and a daughter of Joseph and Anna (Marsi) Hencal. Five children have been born to them, namely: Mary, Joe, Julia, Willie and James. Mr. Novak is a Republican, and takes a leading part in all local affairs of importance. He was appointed postmaster of Britt postoffice in November, 1906, and accepted the position to prevent the closing of the postoffice, which is now located at his residence.
Mr. Novak is a member of the Presbyterian church, while Mrs. Novak is an adherent of the Catholic faith.
On another page of this work will
be found a view of the residence of Mr. Novak.
Mr. Sateren was born in Goodhue county, Minnesota, on a farm near Zumbrota, in the year 1860. He was raised there until he was about nineteen years of age, when his parents settled in Cuming county, Nebraska, where they were pioneers. The father, John Sateren, was born in Norway, and came to this country in 1849, where he was soon after married to Miss Mary A. Johnson, who had arrived in America in 1851, coming from Norway with her parents. After locating in Nebraska, our subject only spent one winter here, then returned to Minnesota where he remained for three and a half years, and in 1881 he came back to Cuming county and began farming, continuing at that work for a few years. In 1889 he came to Dawes county and leased school land, which he has farmed up to the present time, building a log cabin in which he lived up to 1904. When
he arrived here he had three horses, and he put in a crop on rented land, raising a sod crop of corn. The drouth (sic) periods soon came on and although he never had a total failure, his losses were heavy and he was unable to get ahead very fast, but was able to get a fair corn crop each year, which helped out considerably. He began in the stock business and gradually forged ahead and now owns three hundred and twenty acres of deeded land and leases five hundred and twenty acres of school land, operating all of this. He cultivates seventy-five acres himself and rents out one hundred and ten acres, and engages in the dairy business, which he finds very profitable. In the summer of 1907 he was unfortunate in losing his cattle shed, seventy by thirty feet, and quite a number of fence posts by a fire, and this was a serious loss to him, but he soon built up again. Mr. Sateren's mother lives with him, and is quite active at the age of seventy-seven years at her last birthday, April 17, 1908
Mr. Sateren is a man of active public spirit, and is keenly alive at all times to the best interests of his community. He has held school office for many years, and assisted in building up the schools in his locality. He is a Republican and strong party man.
Mr. Pierce was born in Nora, Illinois, in 1860, and is a son of Arleigh Pierce, a prominent physician of the section. His mother was Betsy Sweet Pierce. When our subject was a small boy his parents removed to Dane county, Wisconsin, where he was reared and educated, attending the common schools. He came to Custer county, Nebraska, in 1881, and was one of the pioneers there, working for a large cattle company for a year, then returned to Wisconsin for three years. He next located in Iowa, where he remained for three years, then came to Dawes county, where he has since lived. He first settled on a farm six miles from Belmont, and there went through many hardships which are familiar to all settlers in a new country, living in a log cabin for some years. He started his farm and proved up on his pre-emption, remaining there up to 1893, when he moved to a homestead located three miles east of Belmont, on which he proved up, afterwards selling it at a good figure.
Our subject bought his present farm in 1902, where he has put up good buildings, fences and all necessary improvements, making a fine farm and home. There is plenty of natural timber on the place, and clear springs of running water, and he has one of the finest places in his locality. He is progressive and up-to-date in his farming methods, and one of the successful and prosperous men in the county.
In 1887 Mr. Pierce was married to Miss Della Wheeler, whose parents were early settlers in Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Pierce have a family of seven children, who are named as follows: Helen, Florence, Bessie, Howard, Arthur, Lillian and Ronald.
Mr. Pierce has helped in the building up of his territory, taking an active part in local and county political affairs, also lending his influence and financial aid in all matters for the development and growth of his community. Politically he is an Independent.
Mr. Hanson was born in Boslund, Sweden, and came to this country in 1871. He re-visited his native land in 1906 in company with his brother, Fred Hanson, a prosperous farmer of Divide township, Phelps county, and states that after years of absence the country of their nativity was to them, as to all who so return, a disappointment to them. Their life in America has been so free and full of splendid opportunities and successes, especially to the Swedish settlers here, that while they properly cherish the fatherland, its customs and language of their ancestors, this land has become a home to them in every sense of the word, so that there is no desire left for any other. Mr. Hanson came to Phelps county in 1878 and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres, where he now resides. In 1891 he bought a timber claim in section 2, and a year later purchased eighty acres lying opposite, so that he now owns four hundred acres of land. He is engaged principally in grain raising, and his crop in 1905 amounted to three thousand bushels of wheat and five thousand bushels of corn. He has gone through every pioneer's experiences since locating here, and has seen some hard times, but does not regret his hard labors, for through them has come success and he now has a valuable estate surrounded by all the comforts and conveniences of a model rural home. He is the
proprietor of a one hundred and sixty-acre farm located in Sheridan county, which he rents out, and in all his holdings are five hundred and sixty acres. He keeps from forty to fifty hogs and common grade cattle, with enough horses for his farm work.
Mr. Hanson was married in 1882 to Miss Anna Johnson, of Sweden. They have five sons, Oscar, Joseph, Hilmer, Emil and Gustave, and one daughter, Emma. The family occupy a fine residence and there is a beautiful grove of trees surrounding the place, with orchards and all kinds of small fruit for family use. Mr. Hanson has been a member of the school board for several years, and is secretary of the Lutheran church at Holdrege, also a deacon in that church. In political faith hi is a Republican.
Mr. Gipson was born on a farm in
Denmark, January 3, 1857. His father came to America and died in
Davenport, Iowa, where he was residing at the time. Our subject
lived with his parents until he was sixteen years of age, then
started for the new world, sailing from Liverpool to New York city
in 1873. He came west and settled in Lorain county, Ohio, where
for two years he worked in the stone quarries in Lorain, thirty
miles west of Cleveland; thence he went to Woodbury county, Iowa,
intending to go to the Black Hills, but hearing of the burning of
wagon trains by troops to prevent settlement of the Black Hills at
that time, he gave up the trip. He lived in Woodbury county up to
1885, and followed the work of a farmer. After this he went to
Yankton, South Dakota, and was there for one year, then came to
Nebraska and located in Keya Paha county in 1886, settling on a
farm in section 5, township 32, range 19. He took a homestead and
proved up on it, having built a log house which he lived in for
several years. Here he experienced the usual hardships and
privations of the early settler, going through the drouth (sic)
periods, etc., and lost two crops successively. Since that time he
has been very successful in his efforts, and has bent all his
energies to building up his farm and improving his property. When
he first struck the county he was obliged to pay two hundred
dollars for his land, which was considered to be the poorest
ground in the whole neighborhood, but he stuck to it, and made a
success of his venture, and has since bought land adjoining his
farm after his neighbors gave up trying to farm. He has cultivated
this land and now owns as good a farm as anyone in the locality,
and is proprietor of over one thousand two hundred acres, all
improved, fenced and cross-fenced. He has planted small fruits,
and has a fine orchard of cherry, plum and apple trees in good
bearing condition. There is a fine growth of natural timber on his
farm besides groves planted around the dwelling, and altogether he
has one of the best places in the section. He has been engaged to
quite an extent in stock raising, and also raises splendid crops
of grain, most of which he uses on his farm. He cultivates about
two hundred and fifty acres, and the balance is used for hay and
pasture lands for his stock. A view of the place is presented on
one of the illustrated pages of this volume.
Mr. Jones was born in Waupaca county, Wisconsin, on March 3, 1856. There were three children in his father's family, he being the eldest. The father was a native of New York state and the mother of Pennsylvania, the former now deceased and the latter still living. Our subject grew up in Wisconsin on a farm, *receiving a limited schooling through attendance as the district schools during the seasons of year when farm work was rather dull,* and he remained at home until about thirty years of age, then came to Nebraska, settling in what was then called Cheyenne county, and later known as Deuel county, where he now resides. He took a pre-emption and timber claim and proved up on the former only, going through the usual pio-
neer experiences during the first few years, witnessing the drought periods, etc. He has added to his original holdings as his circumstances justified, and now has a valuable property, having much of land in hay and grazing land for a large bunch of stock, running one hundred head of cattle and twenty horses. He has made a specialty of the stock business and has been most successful in this branch of work. His ranch is supplied with a complete set of good buildings and improvements of all kinds, and he is called one of the wealthy residents of his district. He started the ranch from the wild prairie land and has done wonderfully well.
In September, 1891, Mr. Jones was married in Chappell, Nebraska, to Miss Mary Henderson. Mrs. Jones was a native of Illinois, coming to Deuel county in 1888, and after her arrival here took up a pre-emption and also filed on a tree claim, proving up on both of those, and this land is now a part of the home ranch. She is a woman of more than ordinary intelligence, energetic and of charming personality, and, together with her husband, is much admired by all who know them. They have no children. Their ranch is beautifully located on the bluffs near the Platte river, and is one of the most sightly spots in the locality. Besides the home ranch, Mr. and Mrs. Jones have about nine hundred acres situated in other parts of Deuel county, which is used in connection with the home ranch.
Since locating in Deuel county Mr. Jones has been regarded as one of the leading citizens and public spirited men of the times, having been a potent factor in the development of the agricultural resources of this section. Politically he is a Democrat. Mrs. Jones' father (John Henderson) still lives in Illinois at the age of eighty-five, which anniversary he celebrated December 25, 1908. He is a hale and hearty old gentleman and still looks after his own affairs, which is of no small amount.
*Portion between the two asterisks in the above bio appears exactly as it is in the original book. Interpretation is left to descendants.
Per Anderson came of good stock, being born in Sweden July 28, 1851, on a farm. Left without a father at eight and a half years of age, he had to work hard at farming and in the mines of his native land.
Our subject was married in Sweden, in 1880, to Tilda Rassmussen, who was born in 1851. Mrs. and Mrs. Anderson have five children, named: Gusta, Oscar, Hilda, Maud and Amanda.
Mr. Anderson came to America with his wife and one child in 1885, landing in New York city, and from thence came west to Nebraska, locating in Burt county, where he worked out for eleven months. Then he went to Blaine county, arriving there July 20, 1886, and locating on a homestead a day or two later about five miles north of the North Loup river. Our subject built a sod house, twelve by fourteen feet, and settled down to pioneer life. He had two cows which he used for a team the first year and then he got a team of colts which he worked when they were two years old. He broke up a little land and raised a sod-crop, which was about half destroyed by hail. In 1888, the crops were good and subject kept on breaking more land with his team of cows. Then came the drouth (sic) years and several crops were almost complete losses, and the family had to depend on the cows and milking to make a living. Mr. Anderson kept on buying land, some of it on time; his cattle increased and the farm steadily improved. He also took a Kincaid homestead and sold his right when he sold his farm. On June 24, 1906, our subject sold out everything, cattle, land and improvements, realizing three thousand five hundred dollars. For six months after he lived with his son-in-law, and in December, 1906, he purchased the farm where he now lives. He has a fine farm of two hundred and eighty acres of good land in Loup county near Taylor. He lives in a nice new house, just completed, and has about him all the evidences of success and prosperity. In 1907 he sold five hundred dollars' worth of corn from the farm and the whole crop that year brought him one thousand dollars. Mr. Anderson has been deeply interested in public affairs and has won the esteem of his neighbors for his sturdy and irreproachable character.
ing which time he has formed a wide acquaintance and is held in the highest esteem as an agriculturist and worthy citizen. He is a man of unquestionable character and well merits his success and enviable reputation.
Moses A. Swift was born in Brecksville, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, on July 8, 1839, and grew up there, receiving a common school education. On August 10, 1861, he enlisted in the United States regular army, at the New England hotel, Cleveland, Ohio, being assigned to Company B, Sixth United States Cavalry, and saw active service for three years, receiving his final discharge on August 11, 1864, at Washington, District of Columbia. He took part in the battle of the Wilderness and other engagements, also did detached duty at Fortress Monroe, where after recuperating from a six weeks' illness he was assigned to the dispensary, where he was continued on duty some eighteen months. After leaving the army he returned to his home place and remained there for a little over a year, then went to Montana, traveling by wagon and following the trail through the country via Bozeman Cut-off; the last settlement in Nebraska was Columbus and a lone blacksmith shop near Guide Rock. When he reached his destination he started to do work at placer mining at Helena, going in the winter to Red Mountain City, where he worked in the mines of the Liggett Company until July; thence he returned to Helena remaining until October 7th, when he turned his steps toward Ohio, on the way spending some time in Wisconsin. He remained in Ohio for one year, then emigrated to Fremont county, Iowa, where he followed threshing and corn shelling, then a profitable employment, for about eight years. In the fall of 1875, he left Iowa and moved to Sedgwick county, Kansas, farmed there for about nine years before coming to Cheyenne county. During President Harrison's administration Mr. Swift was postmaster at Lodge Pole, and at that time was also engaged in the retail meat business. He followed that work for a number of years, and in 1892 filed on a homestead in section 20, township 13, range 46, and has been engaged in ranching ever since. He has filed an additional homestead for one hundred and sixty acres of good land under the Kincaid law and on this keeps about one hundred and twenty-five head of stock. Interested with him in the stock business is his son, Ray Swift, who is a very energetic and industrious young man, owning a quarter section adjoining his father's original homestead in which he owns a reversionary interest.
On June 23, 1874, Mr. Swift was married to Marcia Evarts, in Pottawattomie county, Iowa. She died April 3, 1882, leaving three children, Riley Clark, a railroad conductor, living at Nahunt, South Dakota, Ray Richard, interested in ranching with his father, and Charles Henry, a physician of Nahunt.
Our subject was married the second time to Gertrude Evarts, a native of Mexico, Oswego county, New York, and one child resulted from this union. Mary Marcia Swift, who is now attending high school at Kearney, Nebraska.
Mr. Swift has always been prominent in local and state affairs, and has had genuine western experiences, going through all the pioneer times in the west. He is a staunch Republican, and has always been one of the leading citizens of his community. Mr. Swift cast his first vote, in 1860, for Abraham Lincoln and has voted the Republican ticket ever sine. While living at Tabor, Iowa, he joined the Masonic order, of which he was a member many years.
Mr. Bullis, the eldest in a family of nine children, was born August 22, 1838, in Niagara county, New York, on the banks of Lake Ontario. He is the son of Arnold Bullis, who removed at an early day to Lee county, Illinois, where our subject was reared and educated. During the war he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Fourth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and saw service from Chattanooga to Atlanta, thence in the Fourteenth army corps with Sherman in the world-famous march to the sea and up through the Carolinas, followed by the most imposing military spectacle on the western hemisphere, if not on the globe, the grand review at Washington.
Mr. Bullis possessed an iron constitution, never knowing a sick day, and was always ready for duty from the time of his enlistment to the close of the war. After an honorable discharge he came back to his old home in Illinois, remaining for a time, then removed to Iowa in the fall of 1865, locating in Franklin county, where he farmed for ten years, acquiring in that time a fine one hundred and
twenty-acre farm. In 1886 he sold his farm and came to Cherry county, settling on a homestead fourteen miles northwest of Valentine. Here he remained for three years until appointed deputy sheriff, when he moved to Valentine, serving for four years. In 1890 he was appointed postmaster at Fort Niobrara, which office he held for two years, resigning to return to Valentine. Shortly after this he moved to Britt, and opened a general merchandise store, being instrumental in establishing a postoffice there, remaining in Britt for seven years. At the end of this time he sold out and again came back to Valentine, purchasing a fine house and opened a pool hall in the building he at present occupies, of which he is the owner.
Mr. Bullis is a Republican in politics, and takes an active interest in all local affairs; he served as marshal of Valentine for about seven years in the early days.
In 1859 he was married to Miss Eliza Zorn, of German ancestry, who has presented him five children, named as follows: Melinda, William, a farmer; Charles, now in the livery business in Valentine; Nellie and John, proprietor of an undertaking, furniture and hardware establishment in the Red Front store, Valentine, They are all married and well established in life, a comfort and credit to their parents.
Mr. Bullis is a member of Colonel Wood Post No. 208, Grand Army of the Republic, of Valentine. For over forty years he has been a member of the Masonic fraternity and was one of the organizers of the local lodge, of which he served some twelve years as worshipful master, having filled that position in the Iowa lodge. Through his long membership he is an honorary member of the state grand lodge.
Mr. Cook's farm consists of nine hundred and sixty acres, two hundred acres under cultivation, and the balance used for hay and pasture for his stock. He keeps fifty cattle of his own and winters two hundred and fifty additional head; he raises annually about fifty hogs and twelve horses. He has erected substantial farm buildings, and has a pleasant and comfortable home for himself and family. A view of the home surroundings showing orchards, walnut plantation, garden and lots surrounded by tall groves is presented for inspection elsewhere in this work. Our subject has done his full share in the development of this region as an old settler, and his success and high station is a fitting reward for his labors.
Mr. Cook was married in Cedar county, July 13, 1887, to Miss Eva Withrow. Her
father was of English descent, born in Kentucky, and her mother, Mary Wolf, of English-German stock; from the age of fourteen until the time of her marriage Mrs. Cook resided in California. To Mr. and Mrs. Cook the following children have been born: Fern V., Perry H., Pearl M., Bertie H., Russell O., Hazel V., and Kenneth R., all living at home at this writing.
Mr. Cook is a Republican in politics and with his wife are members of the Methodist church. He affiliates with the Royal Highlanders. He has traveled much in the east as well as the west, including Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Canada and Michigan, but finds no place like Nebraska in general, and Keya Paha county in particular.
Mr. Weisflog was born in
Bridgeville, Ohio, January 31, 1874, and is a son of Herman and
Amelia (Grosser) Weisflog, who were early settlers in Nebraska.
The father was born in Saxony, Germany, in 1835, coming to this
country with his wife and four children when a young man. Our
subject was reared in his native state until he was eleven years
of age, then with his parents came to Cherry county, assisting
them in carrying on the farm up to 1895. After leaving home he
went to Wyoming, where he clerked at the post exchange at Fort D.
A. Russell, but did not remain there for a very long time, as he
was not satisfied with conditions and decided to return to
Nebraska, arriving in Cherry county in 1896. For three years he
was engaged in carpenter work in the vicinity and on Rosebud
reservation, and during that time filed on his present homestead
and proved up on it. Here he has built up a fine ranch of six
hundred and forty acres, farming twenty acres, and has good
buildings and all improvements necessary to the proper running of
a model ranch. He is engaged more in ranching than in farming,
running a large bunch of stock, and is counted one of the
prosperous and successful men in this region, having made every
dollar of his fortune by his own unaided efforts. A view of the
residence and surroundings will be found on another page in this
On June 19, 1902, Mr. Weisflog was married to Miss Maude H. L. Markl, a native of Chicago, daughter of Alois and Cecelia (Newgabauer) Markl, the former a native of Hungary, whence he came in early manhood. Mr. Weisflog is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen of Valentine.
When he was eighteen years of age he started in on his own account, and went west locating at Pine Ridge, where he carried mail from Fort Robinson to Pine Ridge. He filed on his first land in 1884, settling on this land the following year and remained until he had proved up. This was a tree claim and pre-emption, after a time he sold these out and took his present place as a homestead in 1887 and has engaged in farming He lived here through the dry years and had a hard time to get along at that time, losing all his crops for several years in succession and becoming pretty well discouraged. However, the better time soon came along and he was able to raise good crops and caught up so he began to improve his place and has added to his farm until he now owns one thousand five hundred acres in three different tracts, cultivating about two hundred acres of this, and