became a great student, reading all the books on history and literature he could find, and by this means he picked up a good education.
The marriage of Mr. Mandeville occurred in 1888, when he was wedded to Miss Ruth Boaz, daughter of Robert E. Boaz, a dentist and old settler of Dunning, Nebraska. Her mother was Miss Lucilla Wiley in her maiden days.
Mrs. Mandeville is a graduate of the Humboldt high school and has taught school and is a lady of culture and refinement. Her parents trace their ancestry back to English people who settled in Jamestown, Virginia, in the early history of the country. Mr. and Mrs. Mandeville have one child, Robert G., the first child born in the village of Dunning, Blaine county, Nebraska.
Our subject's early life was full of varying experiences and he traveled into several states, going to Lincoln, Nebraska, thence to Dakota and back to Indiana. In 1883 he came west to Holt county, Nebraska, where he followed hunting as a business. He filed on a pre-emption claim and proved up. He then lived at Atkinson, Nebraska, for several years, where he did an extensive game business. In 1887 he went to Dunning and engaged in the same business, meeting with good success. The same year he located a homestead near the town of Purdum and proved up on the land in 1889. Later he proved up on a tree claim and secured a tract of Kincaid land. He now has a splendid ranch, known as the "Dusky Heights Ranch," of eight hundred acres of deeded land and six hundred and forty acres under twenty-year school land leases. He also has forty acres near Dunning and five acres of timber on the Middle Loup river. His ranch is splendidly improved in every respect and he may be justly proud over the success that has been wrought by his industry and intelligence. He gives special care to his fine orchard containing three hundred peach trees, one hundred apple trees, also pear trees and an abundance of small fruit. As he looks about him, he can hardly realize that when he came to the country his start was only a shot gun, a dog, and thirty dollars in money. There is certainly a vast difference between his fortunes then and now; and he has made it all by his own effort. Of his land he cultivates about one hundred and twenty acres, the balance being devoted to stock grazing and hay purposes.
John J. Mandeville has filled an important place in the affairs of his community and has held numerous positions of trust and responsibility. He was appointed county treasurer in 1889; has been county surveyor for five or six terms and has been for years an officer of his school district which he helped to establish. Our subject has been closely identified with all matters of local interest and no one can be more progressive and public-spirited than he. Through all the years of pioneer hardships, drouth (sic), hail and hard times he has pushed his way upward till he attained the success that he so justly merits.
Mr. Lovenburg was born in Tama county, Iowa, on a farm in 1863. His father and mother were both natives of Bohemia, coming to America during their youth and settling in Iowa, where they resided up to 1870. They then went to Kansas, locating in Republic county, where our subject was reared and educated, spending his entire boyhood days on his father's farm until he was eighteen years of age, when he left home and has made his own way in life since that time. He went to Iowa and worked in the coal mining regions near Des Moines for two years, then returned to Kansas and was employed as a clerk in his father's store for a time. In the spring of 1887 he came into Nebraska, driving through the country with a team and covered wagon, and covering the entire distance from his former home in Kansas to this section in this way, spending the nights camping out under his wagon, the trip consuming nine days. He took a pre-emption on section 25, township 9, range 37, and proved up on it in due time. During the first few months he had no house to live in, but occupied his wagon as a dwelling, finally building a sod shanty in which he lived for two years. He went through hard times, having a rather difficult time to get started owing to unfavorable crop conditions, and in 1889 went back to his old home in Kansas, engaging in the livery business at Narka, Kansas, which he carried on for two years, but was not successful and lost money in the venture, so gave it up. He again returned to Perkins county, remaining for about a year, then went on the road as traveling salesman, and worked all over Kansas, Iowa and Dakota, and followed this business for about seven years, in the employ of the McCormick Harvester and Machine Company.
In 1897 Mr. Lovenburg again located at Narka, Kansas, and established himself in the implement business in partnership with his brother, William, and continued this for nine years, building up a successful trade. In 1906 they were burned out, suffering a severe loss, and after this misforunte (sic) gave up the business, and our subject came back to Perkins county, settling on his farm, and has since made it his home. Here he has four hundred and eighty acres, with about seventy acres used for grain raising, and the balance is devoted to the mule raising industry. He has some very fine young animals on his place, and is building up a good business in this line, being a thorough judge of his work and a capable business man. Mr. Lovenburg has good improvements on his ranch and everything is kept up in good shape, the whole appearance of the place bespeaking good management and thrift in its operation.
Our subject was married in 1887, to Miss Anthony Stranskey, who was born in Bohemia, she coming to America with her parents and settling Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Lovenburg have a family of seven children. Mr. Lovenburg takes a commendable interest in the affairs of his community, and has held different local offices.
In 1874 Mr. Miller came to Central City, Nebraska, and farmed in that vicinity for about fourteen years, building up a good farm and improving it in good shape. He next moved to Sioux county, landing here in 1888, locating at first on Soldier's creek, six miles from Crawford, While living on that place his wife died, and soon afterwards our subject has the misfortune to be robbed by bandits and relieved of three hundred and sixty dollars in cash, and was also swindled out of three thousand dollars in a contracting deal. He had hard times during that period, was unable to get ahead any, and finally left the place and moved to the Pine Ridge country, in 1900, and has remained in that vicinity ever since, living on three different farms and improving all to quite an extent, and he has gone through many bitter experiences.
Mr. Miller finally settled permanently on the place he now occupies, which is situated in section 14, township 32, range 54, and here he has put on good improvements in the way of buildings, fences, etc. The place is well supplied with timber and fine trees of all kinds and well supplied also with good water for all purposes. The ranch contains four hundred and eighty acres, and he uses eighty acres as farm land, running a large number of stock on the balance of four hundred acres.
Although our subject has gone through many hardships and discouragements, he has succeeded in making the most of his opportunities and is at last the proprietor of a nice property. His handsome residence is connected by telephone with Crawford, and is supplied with every modern comfort and convenience, and is a model of rural progress.
Mr. Miller was married in 1870 to Bertha Miller, who was also born and raised in Germany. They have a family of eight children, namely--Theresa, Regina, Peter, Hannah, Magdalena, Antony, Annie and Eddie. The mother died in 1888. Our subject was married again the second time, taking as a helpmate, Mrs. Margaret Fricke, and they have a family of children as follows: Henry, Bertha, Agnes, Herbert, Anton and Emma, the last two mentioned being the children by a former marriage of Mrs. Miller.
Mr. Miller has done his full measure in development (sic) the commercial and agricultural interests of his community, but has steadily refused to take an active part in politics, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to his home and farm.
Mr. Weirich was born in LaSalle county, Illinois, on the present side of Streator, January 20, 1859. His father, Joseph Weirich, was a coal miner, born in the Kingdom of Prussia,
near the Rhine, and his mother was also a native of the country, both coming to the United States when young. There was a family of six children, of which our subject was the fifth. He lived in Illinois until ten years old, when the whole family came to Iowa and settled on a farm in Cass county. He remained with his parents until twenty-one years of age, then started out for himself, following farming as an occupation. He bought a farm in Cass county and farmed that for three years, then came to Nebraska, settling in Cherry county in 1887, five and a half miles south of Crookston. Here he took up a pre-emption and proved up, remaining there for two years, than moved to Sarpy county in the hopes of benefiting his wife's health. Here he secured a farm which he operated in connection with his trade, harnessmaker, which he had learned when a youth in Iowa. He returned to Cherry county in 1899, taking up a homestead on section 21, township 34, range 31, and there started to build up a farm and home. He has improved the place with good buildings, engaging in stock raising and ranching, and has added to his original holdings until he now has in all eight hundred acres of land, all enclosed with good fence. He has accumulated a nice property as a result of his industry and thrift, and is one of the representative citizens of his community.
Mr. Weirich was married in 1884 to Miss Clara Hegedorn, daughter of Fred and Mary (Abel) Hegedorn, both born in Germany, emigrating before their marriage, which occurred in Chicago. Mr. and Mrs. Weirich have one child, Elinora A., wife of John H. Fisher, who owns a ranch on section 22, adjoining Mr. Weirich's on the east. To this couple have born three children, Daniel, Delta and an unnamed baby.
Mr. Weirich has voted the Republican ticket for many years, and is a strong party man, but does not take an active part in politics, preferring to devote his entire time attention to his home and ranch. All are members of the Baptist church.
Mr. James was born in Grayson county, Vermont, in 1880, and reared in Texas and Nebraska on a farm. A sketch of his father, S. L. James, appears in this volume, During his boyhood years our subject, with his parents, moved to Texas, and after spending several years in that state, came to Cherry county, Nebraska, arriving there in March, 1888, when that region was just being started and settlers were coming in slowly. There they went through all the pioneer experiences, helping materially in building up the locality, Fay living at home with his parents until 1901. Then he filed on a homestead in section 18, township 25, range 31, and started a ranch of his own, putting up necessary buildings and improving it as fast as he was able. He had some hardships, but got along in good shape, and is now owner of a ranch consisting of six hundred and forty acres, all fenced, which he uses as a stock ranch principally, although he does some farming.
In 1904 Mr. James was united in
marriage to Miss Sallie Holland, of Texas, daughter of Lafayette
Holland and Isabella (Parks) Holland, of American descent. Our
subject and his estimable wife have two children, Clara and Vera.
They have a pleasant home, and have a host of warm friends and
good neighbors in in (sic) their community. A picture is presented
on another page showing a ranch scene on Mr. James' property.
Mr. Vasey is a native of Yorkshire, England, and was raised on his father's farm there, the latter coming to America with his family many years ago, and settling in Nebraska in 1885, where he died in 1893, at the age of seventy. Mr. Vasey farmed in Christian county, Illinois, for several years before locating here, and from there he moved to Gage county, this state, for six years. His experience with the methods and soils of those places have been of great value to him in his agricultural pursuits here, and he considers, taking everything into account, that the Republican Valley is far ahead
of any place he has ever seen. Since coming here, he has made a special study of corn culture, and firmly believes in "thoroughbred corn," i. e., that each farmer should select the best possible seed and plant a patch by itself for seed, and in this patch he should pull out all the non-bearing stalks, as otherwise these will fertilize the others and much of the seed will thus be non-productive. It is his nature to study thoroughly whatever subject he has on hand, and in this way he reaches the best possible results in each part of his work.
Mr. Vasey first located in Harlan county in 1893, paying two thousand five hundred and fifteen dollars for his land, and at the present time it is worth more than fifteen thousand dollars, which is good evidence of the advance which has taken place throughout this part of the state in the past few years, due entirely to the efforts of such farmers and business men as our subject. He runs from fifty to one hundred high grade cattle on his farm, and about one hundred to two hundred hogs. He crosses Shorthorn cattle with the Red Polled, the former being his favorite for milk and beef. He feeds his calves flax meal, preparing them for market the first season, and sells them at an average price of fifty dollars per head, thus making a good profit, whereas he figures that keeping them for two or three years and then selling at seventy-five dollars per head is not making as much money. There are fine springs on his place for his stock, and he also has a splendid irrigation ditch in operation. To keep his farm free from grasshoppers he always keeps a number of guinea fowls, and finds this a very effective method of keeping those pests down.
Mr. Vasey was married in 1868 to Miss Margarette Tindell. To them have been born thirteen children. In 1895 Mr. Vasey was elected justice of the peace, and at present is serving as chairman of the Eldorado township board, having been a member of that board for some years. He is also on the school board, and one of the active members of that body.
Mr. DeHaven was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1875. His father, Jehu DeHaven, was a farmer by occupation, and settled in Dawes county in 1885. Both he and his wife, who was Miss Margaret Beazell, were of American stock. They were among the pioneers in this region and raised their family here, going through all of the experiences familiar to the early settlers in western Nebraska. When our subject was two years of age they left Pennsylvania and settled in Marshall county, Iowa, where they farmed up to the time of locating in this county, where they took up a homestead south of Antelope Springs. Here their first building was a log cabin and they lived in this for about nine years, proving up on their land. Later they moved near Hay Springs to give the children the benefit of the better schools, and the mother still resides in that locality, the father having died in 1899.
At the age of nineteen years Mr. DeHaven started out to make his own way, going on a rented farm, on which he lived for some time, then began a home for himself. He took a homestead and devoted all his time and energy to building it up and improving it, gradually adding to the place, and is now owner of a fine ranch consisting of four hundred and eighty acres, on which he engages in mixed farming and stock raising. His place is well improved, and he is one of the prosperous and progressive agriculturists of the section, highly esteemed by all as an energetic farmer and good business man.
Mr. DeHaven was married in 1895 to Miss Lulu Ferrel, daughter of Elijah Ferrel, an old settler in Sheridan county. The Ferrels were among the pioneers in that vicinity, locating there in 1884, and Mrs. DeHaven was raised and educated there. To Mr. and Mrs. DeHaven the following children have been born: Ida, aged eleven years; Delbert, aged eight years; Francis, aged four years; and an infant two months old.
Mr. DeHaven has served his township in different capacities, having been on the school board for some years, and is active in all local affairs. He is a Republican in political belief.
Mr. Barrett was born at Syracuse, New York, and is a son of Henry J. and Sarah Cum-
mings Barrett, both natives of New York state. His maternal grandfather was a soldier in the French army and served under Napoleon, and after coming to American shores was an administrator of a large estate near Syracuse, and was also a school teacher in that locality. At the breaking out of the Civil war Mr. Barrett enlisted in the Fourth Michigan regiment on May 16th. At this time the family lived at Tecumseh, Michigan, where they had settled. He served in Company G, as a private, then was promoted to corporal and soon afterwards sergeant. In the spring of 1865 the Fourth Michigan regiment was reorganized and he was commissioned as captain of Company C, which was composed of veterans from the old Fourth Michigan, all of whom had re-enlisted. This was a reward for meritorious conduct in action, and he was cordially congratulated by his superior officers a number of times, and is justly proud of this recognition. He was with the Army of the Potomac at the battle of Bull's Run, first and second, at Malvern Hill, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Laurel Hill, and in skirmishes nearly all of the time he served as a soldier. He was also at Spottsylvania Court House, and at the surrender of Lee, and on the latter occasion three hours after negotiations had been completed the tree and rail had all been cut into pieces and carried away as mementoes (sic) of this greatest victory in the history of our country. After this he went with his regiment to Texas and mustered out February 26, 1886, under special orders in favor of veterans. In 1898 his son, Henry J. Barrett, enlisted at Washington, D. C., in Captain King's command for the Cuban war. He was in the trenches before Santiago, and re-enlisted in the Second United States Infantry. He died in 1905. Another son, Ed. Bunker Barrett, enlisted in the First Missouri regiment to serve in the Spanish war, and afterwards in the Second United States Cavalry and served in Cuba. He now resides near St. Louis, Missouri, Mr. Barrett has two sons now living in Colorado and one in Oregon. One brother, Edwin Barrett, served in the Civil war with the Third Michigan Cavalry, and was killed in action. The men of this family were always among the first to respond to the call of their country for aid, and gladly gave their services wherever needed, all brave soldiers who risked their lives for the honor of their native land.
Mr. Barrett came west locating in Jackson, Missouri, where he served as marshal for two years, and afterwards as deputy sheriff for four years under Hon. Siebert, state auditor for Missouri. He then went to Colorado, settling eight miles from Denver, at the town of Armada, and after a short residence there he struck out for Nebraska and in 1902 came to McCook, where he has since continuously resided.
He has built up a lucrative trade here and has erected many of the finest residences in the city. He has gained the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen, and is recognized as one of the foremost citizens, always lending his influence to further the commercial and educational interests of the locality in which he chose his home.
Mr. Barrett is a Republican politically, and takes a deep interest in all local affairs. He is senior vice-commander of the Grand Army of the Republic post at McCook.
Hamilton Hall was born in Montgomery county, Virginia, in 1859. His father, A. C. Hall, was a minister of the gospel in the Methodist Episcopal church and spent many years preaching in the eastern states. He married Miss May Cromer, of Montgomery county, Virginia. In 1864 the family came to Ohio, and there our subject grew up, his parent living at different places in that state during his boyhood years. He received a good education, and at the age of fourteen years started out for himself, following farm work and making his own way in the world from that time on. He finally left Ohio and drifted into Illinois, later spending some time in Oregon and in traveling through the western states.
In 1886 Mr. Hall first came to Box Butte county, locating near Lakeside, several miles east of Alliance. He took up a homestead on which he proved up and lived for four years. His first dwelling was a sod house, and for quite a while he lived alone in this, doing his own cooking, etc. In 1890 he moved into Dawes county, settling on the Niobrara river, east of Marsland, and here he engaged in ranching, starting first at raising cattle, and after a time began in the sheep business. He remained in that region for four years, then returned to Box Butte county and located on his present
ranch, erecting a good set of ranch buildings and improvements, such as barns, corrals, etc., with everything fixed up in first-class shape. His ranch is located in and adjacent to section 23, township 28, range 50, consisting of six full sections of land, all of which is fenced and cross fenced. He has four well and windmills in operation, and gets a bountiful supply of good water both winter and summer. He has made a great success of his venture, and has gained all his property by hard labor and perseverance, his sole capital when he landed here being about two dollars in cash, and during the first few years here he was obliged to work out by the day in the country in order to make a living and start his farm.
Mr. Hall was married in Nebraska in 1889 to Miss Elizabeth Grant, daughter of John A. and Jemima (Rockhold) Grant, of Perry county, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Hall are the parents of five children, who are named as follows: Jonathan, Mary, Jemima, Ivy and Charles. The family are well known and highly esteemed in their community.
Mr. Hall stands foremost in his locality as one of the oldest settlers, and is an active public-spirited citizen. He is a Republican.
George E. Douglas was born in Washura county, Wisconsin, in 1856. His parents were of American stock, his father born in New York state. He settled on a farm in Wisconsin during the pioneer days of that state, and there our subject was raised and educated, and during his boyhood attended school in the old log school house so familiar to the settlers in the early days. About 1861 the family moved to Minnesota and settled near Mankato and lived there at the time of the Indian massacre which took place in 1862, and they were there through all the excitement of the different encounters with the redskins for several years.
The father entered the service of his country, leaving the mother and her little family to keep the home going, and George, although a mere boy, was a great help to the family. When he was fourteen years of age his mother died and he was soon afterwards obliged to strike out for himself and make his own way in the world, following farm work in Minnesota, also working on the railroad and as a sailor on the Mississippi river. When he was eighteen he went to Wisconsin and worked for his uncle, who owned and operated a farm and store at St. Cloud. From there he moved to Fort Dodge, Webster county, Iowa, and there farmed for about seven years.
Mr. Douglas first came to Nebraska in 1878, and located on the old Pawnee Indian reservation, now Nance county, remaining there for seven years. In 1885 he arrived in Box Butte county, teaming from the eastern part of the state through the wild country and on the trip ran across many wild deer, antelope, elk, wild horses, etc. His first location has been his home all these years. This is located in section 5, township 24, range 47, and he has built up a good farm and ranch, living for a number of years in a rough shanty and going through many bitter experiences. He was obliged to haul all supplies from Hay Springs, fifty miles distant, and for a number of years did all his teaming and farm work with ox teams. For several years he made a good living and was able to save a little money by selling household goods through the country, also handled all sorts of kitchen utensils, etc., using a large wagon containing his wares. In the earlier days this was a familiar sight to the settlers, and the visits of the "peddler" was eagerly looked for by all.
Mr. Douglas is now proprietor of a ranch of five hundred acres, and one son, George, owns a section of land adjoining the homestead. He also leases other land, and engages in mixed farming and stock raising, dealing exclusively in hogs and cattle. His place is well supplied with good buildings and every improvement for properly operating it as a stock farm. Our subject has always devoted a great deal of his time to the culture of small fruits, and has a fine orchard containing all kinds of trees in good bearing condition. He is an authority on this subject, and in 1907 he had charge of the Burlington exhibit car, which was sent all through eastern Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Illinois. Mr. Douglas himself has prepared many exhibits for different affairs, showing the products of his own farm mostly. He will make a long trip this year through the east, with Burlington route farm products exhibit car; crops grown under irrigation and dry farming. He has made several such trips before with wonderful success and to the great good of his country.
In the fall of 1878 our subject was married to Miss Ida R. Merrill, whose father, J. B. Mer-
rill, was a well-known ranchman and farmer in the Pawnee Indian reservation. Mr. and Mrs. Douglas have a family of nine children, namely: George A., Augusta (married), Earl, Frank, Clarence, Charlie, Etta, Lizzie, and Louis. Mr. Douglas lost his wife November 5, 1906, and has never married again.
Mr. Douglas is prominent in local
affairs and takes an active part in county and national politics,
always voting the Republican ticket. A picture of George E.
Douglas and family is presented on another page of this
Mr. Hulshizer was born on a farm in Ohio March 15, 1853. Godfrey Hulshizer, his father, a native of Germany, was by trade a miller, coming to this country when a young man, and his mother was Miss Phoebe Young, of English stock. Our subject is the seventh member in a family of eight children, there being also five half-brothers and sisters. The family came to Illinois, settling in Mason county, where he was reared and educated, assisting in the farm work until eighteen years of age, when he went to work for his father, who was at that time operating a mill. He followed this employment for about eight years, and at the end of the time had the trade thoroughly mastered. In 1872 he came west to Nebraska, spending two years in looking over the state and getting familiar with conditions here, and in 1874 located in Seward county, where he remained for nine years. He then came on to Brown county and took a homestead in section 30, township 32, range 20, where he put up a log house and built a shed out of hay in which to shelter his horses. His first years here were hard ones, and during that time he gained a livelihood by getting out timber, cord wood and posts, which were exchanged for provisions in town, these trips occasionally necessitating his being out late into the night. During the dry years all his crops were ruined and he found it hard to get along, but by perseverance and a determined will, he was able to overcome these difficulties. and succeeded to make a fairly comfortable living for his family. In 1896 he began to irrigate his land, and by this means is able to raise good crops. On a patch of six acres of ground one year he raised three hundred and sixty bushels to the acre, which is considered a pretty fair yield for that locality. His farm comprises six hundred and forty acres, of which he has fifty acres under cultivation, and the remainder in hay and grazing land. He has it well stocked and improved.
On March 4, 1877, Mr. Hulshizer was married to Miss Harriet Gordon, of Pennsylvania Dutch stock, whose father was one of the pioneer settlers in Seward county, settling there before the city of Lincoln was started. Mr. and Mrs. Hulshizer have three children, namely; Arthur, Roy, and Clarence. Mr. Hulshizer is one of the men who has always taken a deep interest in the educational affairs of the locality in which he resides, helping to build up good schools and using his influence toward the betterment of conditions in his community. He is a Republican in politics.
Mr. Wolf was born in the village of Nieder Elbert, Rheinisch Nassau, September 16, 1864, a son of Peter and Magdalena (Miller) Wolf, the father a miller in Germany. He died in 1875. Kaspar was given a good education and reared there until fifteen years of age, then started out in the world for himself to relieve his mother of his support; taking passage at Antwerp, on the "Rudolph," an emigrant ship, he earned his passage to America as a deck hand. After a passage lasting six or seven weeks he landed in New York and earned his passage thence to Baltimore on a coasting vessel. He came directly west, having enlisted in the United States army and was stationed at Sidney, and later at posts in Washington, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. He became thoroughly familiar with the western country while in the army and made a brilliant record as a soldier, receiving prominent mention for his faithfulness to duty, and was discharged at Sidney, Nebraska, after a service of eight years and nine months. After leaving the service, he engaged in cattle raising and for a time prospected in the Black