til 1884. He then moved to Cherry county, Nebraska, in 1884, and settled on a homestead in section 10, township 34, range 25. Mr. Hudson came by train to the county, built a home for his family, which he brought through by wagon, camping by the roadside most of the way. His first claim not appearing to be a promising one, Mr. Hudson abandoned it and made another entry in section 21, township 35, range 25, which is fully improved, and by persistent hard work has made it one of the choice ranches of this region. At the present time he is the proprietor of an extensive tract of three quarter sections of fine land on Sand creek, of which about eighty acres are under active cultivation, and the remainder being devoted to hay and pasture. Mr. Hudson is very actively interested in stock raising, and at all times has about a hundred head of cattle on his place. He is an extensive hog raiser, and is able to show some of the most attractive horses bred in this part of the state.
In matters of politics the subject of this writing has in the main affiliated with the Democratic party, but holds party consideration secondary to questions of principle and character. He has never held any other than strictly local offices, but has always been willing to meet the full measure of his responsibility as a citizen and a man. Here he has taken a pronounced stand for whatever looks to advancement in local and educational matters, and at the present time is a member of the school board.
Cherry county and its annals by no means belong to ancient history, but Mr. Hudson is very properly named aming (sic) its pioneers, and he know by hard experience what life upon the frontier means, as he passed through many a hard and dreary day in those trying times, when Nebraska was being won from the wilderness. Here he struggled through the dry years of 1893 to 1896, and through he was able to raise nothing, survived the drouth, (sic) and still thinks Cherry county an agreeable place of residence.
He has running water on his place, an advantage which few Nebraska ranchers enjoy. He also has a small orchard which promises much in the near future. When Mr. Hudson first came to this county there was but one house on "The Table' between Berry Ridge and a point east of Spring View, and only a few cabins along the river. He has ridden the range after cattle, enjoyed wolf hunting with his dogs, killing as high as one hundred and twenty-four in a season. Mrs. Hudson has accompanied him deer hunting and during the grouse and duck season their table is bountifully supplied with game. This ranch is a favorite resort for wealthy hunters from eastern Nebraska and Iowa.
John Hudson, the father of the subject of this writing, was born in Clay county, Kentucky, July, 7, 1830, and made his home in Nodaway county, Missouri, in 1839, with his father, Joseph Hudson, one of the first settlers of the region. He died in Missouri in 1897 in his ninety-second year. John Hudson learned the trade of carpenter and joiner and at the same time devoting his spare time to farming, which was mainly operated by his sons. He was always busy and became known as a very industrious man.
In 1884 he came with his entire family to Cherry county, Nebraska, and at once identified himself with the most active men of the day, and was a reliable worker for anything that looked to the welfare of the community. In 1901 he suffered from a slight attack of smallpox, which was serious enough, however, to rob him of his eyesight, since which time he has been unable to follow any work. On December 31, 1853, he was married to Miss Rutelia Lamar, who was born in Anderson county, Tennessee, in 1832, of French ancestry. Mr. Hudson has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1860, though of late years he has not been a frequent attendant at the lodge meetings.
Mr. Oberwetter was married in 1884 to Miss Belle Hill, born in Iowa in 1860, her parents both being of American stock, still living in Gordon. Mr. and Mrs. Oberwetter have no family.
In 1886 our subject came to Sheridan county, locating on his present farm, where he has
resided ever since, He immediately engaged in the cattle business as extensively as his capital would permit, which was not on a very large scale. He had a great deal of difficulty in getting started, and the first few years their living was derived from poultry and milch cows. Mr. Oberwetter now runs about six hundred head of stock on his ranch, farming four hundred acres, feeding his crops right at home, as he aims not to sell any of his feed. His ranch comprises about five thousand acres of deeded land, which extends for a distance of twelve miles, divided in three places, but all under the personal supervision of Mr. Oberwetter.
Mr. Oberwetter is also something of an inventor, having invented a hay stacker, which proved a decided success, and is used to a considerable extent among the farmers in this county. He is also president of the Union Bank of Rushville, Nebraska, which has a capital of forty thousand dollars, and is doing a fine business. He is satisfied that Sheridan county is one of the best to be found anywhere, and contented to remain here. Mr. Oberwetter has never had the time to devote to active politics; has never held office nor wanted to, but votes the Republican ticket.
An interesting picture is
present on another page showing the "Pioneer Feeding Ranch, "
property of Mr. Oberwetter.
Mr. Olbricht was born in Glattz, Prussia, in 1856. His father, Franz, was a farmer and lived and died in Germany. Our subject was raised and educated there, and during his boyhood learned the tanner's trade, and for a number of years traveled through Germany and Switzerland following his work in that line.
In 1878 he came to the United States and after landing in New York city, went immediately to New Jersey, locating at Elizabeth City, and remained there for fifteen years, working in a tannery. Mr. Olbricht came west in 1892 and settled in Sioux county upon landing in Nebraska, taking a homestead in section 33, township 30, range 53. His first dwelling was built of poles, and during the first few years witnessed all sorts of hardships and had a hard time to get along.
He was obliged to work out at anything he could find to do to make a living, but stuck to his home and gradually was able to improve the place and buy more land, so that he is now owner of a fine ranch of nine hundred and sixty acres, fitted with all good buildings, fenced and having a number of wells, windmills, etc., and is considered one of the well-to-do men of his locality.
Mr. Olbricht was married while living in New Jersey, in 1880, to Katie Eick, and to them have been born the following children: Henrietta, Frank, Benjamin and Frederick. Mrs. Olbricht died in New Jersey, at Elizabeth City, in 1889, and was deeply mourned by her family and many warm friends. She was a most estimable lady, and a good wife and mother.
In 1901 Mr. Olbricht was married to Mrs. Bertha (Lange) Sauser, a native of Russia, who came to this country when a young girl. From this second marriage a son has been born, Theodore, aged seven. Mrs. Olbricht came to America in 1890, in company with her brother and his family, and settled in New Jersey, where she lived about three years, and them (sic) went to Denver, Colorado. Her father and mother both died in the old country. By her first marriage Mrs. Olbricht had one son, Jacob Sauser, now twelve years of age.
Mr. Combs is a native of Illinois and was raised in Nebraska. His father, J. L. Combs, was a native of Tennessee, born in Nashville, in 1844, as also was his mother, whose maiden name was Jane Swan. The father came here in 1855, from near Peru, Illinois, and settled at Peru, Nemaha county, on a pre-emption consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, and together with Friel Nuckolls, R. W. Frame, William Hogg and J. W. Hall, laid out the town of Peru, he locating a mile and a half from the town site, where he died in 1864, aged fifty years. He was one of the leading citizens of his county, a strong Republican, and his death was a severe loss to the people of that locality. Our subject grew up in Nemaha county, Ne-
braska. During the second year of the Civil war he enlisted in Company C, Second Nebraska Cavalry, at Brownsville. He was but eighteen years of age at that time, and with his regiment served at Fort Kearney, Cottonwood Springs. He also went on expeditions up the Platte river, at Fort McPherson, where Company C was the first to be stationed. They had many skirmishes with the Indians and saw a great deal of rough fighting while in the service. In 1865 and 1866 he freighted along the Platte river, and also sold chickens to the settlers in that vicinity, receiving twelve dollars per dozen, as they were a luxury in these part (sic) at that time.
Many times he had narrow escapes from falling into the hands of bands of Indians who roamed the country, and on one occasion saw a freight train of twenty-four wagons held up and the twenty-six men who were with the outfit were all killed.
In 1867 he settled down and lived on his father's farm for nine years, taking care of his mother and younger brothers and sisters after his father's death. In all he farmed near Peru for forty-three years, building up a good home and valuable estate, owning over four hundred and eighty acres at one time, but has since sold part of this.
Mr. Combs married Miss Julia Roberts, who resides near Stockton, Missouri, a daughter of B. Roberts, who went to Cedar county, Missouri, from Brookville, Indiana, in 1850 in company with a neighbor, and these were the only men in that county who voted for Abraham Lincoln as president, in 1860. To Mr. and Mrs. Combs have been born the following children: Homer L., now of Auburn, Nebraska; C. H., of Kenesaw, this state; Elmer C., of Huntley; Minnie J., now Mrs. Adcock, wife of a farmer living near Huntley; Dora and Amanda, both attending school, and living at home.
Mr. Combs is an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic post at Huntley, and takes a leading part in all local affairs of importance to his community., He is a Republican, and has attended many county and state conventions as a delegate of his party. For five years he has served as assessor here. He is a good neighbor and worthy citizen of his community, of peaceful proclivities, and in all his life has never sued another man, never been sued, and only once was ever called as a witness in a court of law. He is a fine specimen of manhood, standing six feet two inches, and of a most interesting personality, esteemed by everyone with whom he has had to do.
Mr. Knutzen is a native of Norway, and came to the United States in 1872, settling in Chicago, where he remained for two years, then went to the upper peninsula of Michigan, in the copper mining districts, where he spent five years. He then came to Nebraska, locating in Kearney, where he has built up a fine home and has won the respect and confidence of all with whom he has dealings, both social and commercial. He is one of the sturdy and industrious sons of Norway, who, attracted by the greater opportunities to be found in the new world, left his native land to go to a strange country, there to carve out a name and fortune for himself, but he will always remain loyal to the land of his birth and retain that warm love for the mother country. Mr. Knutzen visited Norway in 1878 and 1879, and found the same loving hearts and familiar scenes the same as he had left them in his early manhood. The country has progress wonderfully in the past quarter of a century, and our subject was amazed at the changes which had taken place. His wife and daughter have also paid a visit to Norway, and to the latter the trip was one to long remembered.
Mr. Knutzen was married in 1879 to Miss
Oplan Jensen. The family consists of five children, namely: Annie, a graduate of the State Normal School, and now a teacher in the Kearney public schools; Julia, also a graduate of the former institution, and State University; Agnes, who in 1906 graduated from the Kearney high school and in 1908 from the State Normal School; Henry, attending school at the present time, and Harriet, also at home. The family is well liked in the community in which they reside, and enjoy many warm friends, who frequently partake of the genial hospitality.
Mr. Knutzen takes a commendable interest in all affairs that tend to the commercial advancement of his community, and is deeply interested also in all movements toward the progress of educational matters. He has served for two terms in the city council, and is recognized as a man of much ability, and a worthy citizen.
Mr. Christensen was born in Denmark in 1848. His father, Hans, was a farmer, spending his entire career in Germany and Denmark, his death occurring there in 1864. He married Tilda Carlson, daughter of a prominent churchman of that province, and she came to America with her children, dying here at the age of ninety years.
Our subject was raised and educated in his native land, attending the common schools, and following farm work during boyhood, and after he was confirmed, in accordance with the German belief, he was apprenticed in a mercantile house, starting as a clerk, following that occupation until he was a young man of twenty-one. He then came to the United States, and after landing in New York city came west, locating in Illinois, where he spent one year working on a farm, then came to eastern Nebraska, following farm work, also working at railroad construction, helping to build the first railway into South Dakota, from Sioux City, Iowa, to Yankton.
Mr. Christensen remained in the eastern part of the state up to 1888, witnessing grasshopper raids, and going through the terrible winter of 1880 and 1881, and the floods of the latter year, and suffered many hardships in that vicinity. He later owned a farm on the Missouri river, located below Yankton and lived there for a time. On coming to Sioux county he located on Hat creek, taking up a homestead situated seven miles southwest of Ardmore, South Dakota, and did freighting from Crawford during the first two years, also beginning to improve his place, putting up a log cabin sixteen by twenty-two feet, in which he lived with his family for many years. He went through the dry years and lost several crops and saw hard times, but stuck to his farm and finally succeeded in developing it in good shape and bought more land as he grew able, now being owner of nine hundred and sixty acres, which is all in first-class condition, with a good set of buildings, etc. He has a good water supply the year around, and runs quite a herd of stock, cultivating fifty acres. He had done considerable experimenting along different lines of farming, and has proved that good crops of grain can be raised in this part of the country.
In 1875 Mr. Christens was married to Miss Mary Meng, a native of Denmark, and daughter of George Meng, who was a carpenter and contractor of that country,. Mr. and Mrs. Christensen are the parents of six children, named as follows: Harry, Jep, Tillie, Katie, Mary and Claus.
Mr. Christensen is a prominent citizen of his locality, and has held numerous offices of trust, serving as assessor for five terms in Montrose precinct. He has taken part in the development of the locality, is an Independent in politics, and an earnest worker for the good of his community.
Mr. Clark was born in Green county, Ohio, in 1846. His father was Samuel Clark, of mixed nationality, a farmer by occupation and for many years followed that work in Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska and has been on the frontier all his life. When our subject was but a baby the family moved to Iowa, then to Nebraska, but most of his boyhood
years were spent in Minnesota, where they lived for some years in Freeborn county. He learned to do all kinds of hard farm work up to his eighteenth year, then enlisted in the Second Minnesota Cavalry, Company C, and saw service in the west mostly, fighting against the Indians.
After the war he went back to Minnesota, locating in Martin county, and was there married to Miss Louisa Connic, daughter of Howard Connic, a harness maker, of Pennsylvania and an old settler in Minnesota.
In the spring of 1881 he came to Cuming county, Nebraska, and was among the pioneers in that section, but only remained for three years. In 1884 he came to Dawes county, driving here with a team and covered wagon, and as soon as he located here built a shack and lived in that for some time, batching it" up to the spring of 1885, when he was joined by his family, who drove from Valentine. They were then located on section 26, township 31, range 47, and went through pioneer experiences, often meeting hardships and privations, one winter being spent in Pine Ridge, logging with ox teams to make a living for the family. During the dry years he had many losses from partial crop failures, although he was able to raise some crops during all that time.
For three years he was in the Sand Hills engaged in the stock business, and as he was able, bought more land, until he is proprietor of six and a half sections, in partnership with his son-in-law, Fred J. Stinchfield. Mr. Clark now lives on section 28, township 31, range 47, where he has built up a fine farm and home. The place is supplied with plenty of good living water, and he has a very fine grove of trees near his house, one of the best in the county. He has seven wells and windmills, and is largely engaged in stock raising, running from four to five hundred head all the time. His ranch is all fenced and cross fenced, having in all about fifty miles of fencing . He has a fine young orchard and garden, and everything to make a well ordered home and comfortable rural life.
Mr. Clark's family consists of nine children, named as follows: Charlotte, Melissa and Eva, Rosella, Jennie and Belle, born in Minnesota; and Lorenzo, William and Grace, born in Nebraska. The family are highly esteemed in their community and enjoy a happy and peaceful life, surrounded by a host of warm friends and good neighbors.
Mr. Clark is active in school affairs in his district, and takes a leading part in local political matters, voting the Republican ticket. He is a member of the school board, and has held local office, serving as road overseer.
On another page of this volume
will be found an interesting picture showing views on the ranch of
Mr. Lawrence was born in Clark county, Iowa, March 25, 1855. His father, William Lawrence, was a farmer and blacksmith by trade, American born, and he married Mary McAlister in 18--, also of American stock. They had a family of six children, of whom Alfred, one of twins, is the fourth, and grew up on his parents' farm in Iowa, where he spent his boyhood days attending the country schools and assisting his father in carrying on the farm work. When he was twenty-five years of age he left home and started in farming for himself. His father had died, and he was obliged to shoulder the responsibility of caring for the family for several years. After marriage he lived in Ringold and Union counties, Minnesota, whence he moved to Nebraska.
In 1888 M. Lawrence came to Keya Paha county, settling on a farm on section 10, township 34, range 24, and here he started a farm and home. He put up a sod house, and was getting along very well until the dry years struck him, then for four years in succession he lost his crops and in order to make a living for his family had to work out at whatever he could to do. In the fall of 1896 he burned out, losing his house and all their goods.
In 1898 he moved to his present farm on section 5, township 34, range 24, where during the first winter on this place he lost his barns by fire and everything in the buildings--harnesses and saddles, etc. This was hard luck to him and he became discouraged, but went to work to build up his place again, and has been successful, now owning six hundred and forty acres, with a lease on a half section additional, cultivating about fifty acres. He keeps fifty head of cattle and seventeen horses, and besides his own stock runs about one hundred head of cattle for other people in the vicinity. He milks eighteen cows and for the past three years has used separators, shipping the cream, which he finds a very profitable branch of his business. He has farmed quite extensively for
the past four years, and harvested good crops.
Mr. Lawrence was married in Osceola, Iowa, March 25, 1880, to Miss Rebecca J. Shields, daughter of Joseph H. Shields, a farmer of American stock, residing in Clark county, Iowa. To Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence have been the following children: William and Joseph, born in Iowa; Albert, Leona and Myrtle, born in Nebraska
Mr. Lawrence is one of the pioneers of this region, and has watched the development and growth of the country from its beginning, and has given all the aid in his power in building up the locality. He takes an active interest in local public affairs, and is numbered among the leading citizens of his community. In political views he is a Republican.
William McAdam was born in Argentile county, Province of Quebec, Canada, November 4, 1845. He grew up there, living with his parents, now deceased, and helping on their farm, up to the age of twenty years, then came to the United States, settling at first in Alamakee county, Iowa, remaining there from 1866 to 1876, at which time he came to Clay county, Nebraska. Here he followed the contracting and building business in and around Clay Center, making occasional trips to Iowa, where contracts were secured in that state. After ten years in Clay county, he located in Cheyenne county, in 1886, filing on a timber claim on section 34, township 15, range 52, and on a homestead on the same section in 1887.
He experienced all the early Nebraska times, living as the typical pioneers of those days with his family, meeting many forms of discouragements through losses of crops, from drouth, (sic) hail and prairie fires, but finally succeeded in improving his homestead, added more land to his original claim, so that he is now proprietor of four hundred and eighty acres, of which about fifty acres are devoted to farming and the balance used as a stock ranch.
For several years since locating in this region, Mr. McAdam followed his former occupation of contracting and building although all of his time has been put in on the home ranch as a residence; when he was obliged to be away from home his family managed the farm.
In 1886 Mr. McAdam was married, while living in Iowa, to Miss Jennie Cowles; they have two children, Ina M. and Dorothy, both under the parental roof. They have a pleasant home and are among the leading members of the community in school and social affairs, well liked by all. In politics Mr. McAdam is a strong Republican, and is active in county and precinct party councils. Mr. McAdam and his family are members of the Methodist church.
Benjamin J. Harvey was reared and educated in West Virginia, and when he was sixteen years of age his parents removed to Iowa and became pioneers of Keokuk county. In 1856 our subject started out for himself, engaging in agricultural pursuits and later went to Webster county, Iowa, in 1863. Here he remained for ten years and then came west by team and covered wagon to St. Paul, Nebraska, where he remained for one winter. He then located near Kent, in Loup county, on a homestead. Our subject had but little means to begin with, the extent of his money being one dollar and thirty-five cents on his arrival here, and nothing but the best of pluck and continued energy won for him the success which he has attained. His first domicile was a dugout, and later a log shanty. He was a long way from his source of supplies and had to haul all his provisions from Grand Island, a hundred miles away. Many times he has slept under the wagon at night when the snow was knee-deep on the prairie. He made one hundred and ten round trips to Grand Island with oxen; his first grist he took with an ox team to Schuyler, one hundred and fifty miles away. Our subject has had many interesting experiences and has seen many hardships, but he has stuck to his farm in spite of poor sod crops and the years of drouth. (sic) In 1890 the drouth (sic) destroyed six hundred and fifty acres of
crops and he harvested only one hundred and fifty-five bushels of wheat from three hundred and ten acres and only three bushels of corn. Hailstorms also ruined crops and wrecked his plans, and his losses all told would amount to many acres of crops and many dollars. He has now a nice little farm of eighty acres with fair improvements.
Our subject was one of the first white settlers above Sioux creek on the North Loup river. He has taken a leading and an important part in all matters of public interest and was the first judge of Loup county. In spite of the many drawbacks and hardships Mr. Harvey has built up a pleasant home and has established himself firmly in the respect of his fellow citizens.
Benjamin J. Harvey was married in 1856 to Mary E. Ham, daughter of John Ham, who was one of the pioneers of Butler county, Nebraska, where he settled in 1872. There are fourteen children in the family, three of whom are Mrs. Harvey's by a former marriage. The names of the children are: Rose Ellan, Martha Ann, Harriet Susan, Mary Adelle, Benjamin Wellington, Eva May, Ida Evaline, Minnie Pearl, Mary K., Frank and Kate--the step children are: Albert L., Ernery C. and Martha May.
Mr. Newberg was born in Sweden on June 2, 1851. He spent his boyhood in that country, attending the public schools, and received the training usual to the lads of his station, working on his parents' farm in the place of hired help. He continued there until he reached the age of twenty-two years, then came to America, landing here in 1873. He first went to the Lake Superior mining regions, following mining for about five years. His next move was to Colorado, remaining there for nine years, most of the time engaged in mining, located near Julesburg, and has had considerable experience in pioneer life on the frontier, passing through all the hardships and privations of the early western emigrants.
He came to Deuel county in 1887, arriving here in February of that year, and soon afterwards filed on homestead rights on the southwest quarter of section 8, township 14, range 43. He worked hard to improve his claim, erected a rude dwelling at first, gradually added improvements as he was able, and succeeded in building up a good home, although he was considerably handicapped by the bad years, which he passed through during his early residence in the region. He has prospered in a marked degree, as he is now owner of a ranch of four hundred and eighty acres, and of this he cultivates about one hundred and fifty acres, raising good crops each year. He also runs considerable stock, having at present one hundred head of cattle and a bunch of horses. During the past several years he has erected substantial farm buildings of all kinds, and has one of the well improved and equipped estates in his locality, enjoying the reputation of a progressive and thrifty farmer and thorough stockman.
Mr. Newberg was married at Leadville, Colorado, on July 7, 1880, to Miss Lida Ekwall, born and reared in Sweden, who came to this country in 1877. Eight children were born of this union, five of whom are living, namely: Oscar L., Albert W., Frank L., Edna E. and Henry W., all living at home, assisting their parents in the work on the home ranch. Our subject's parents are still living in Sweden, together with their remaining children, Mr. Newberg being the only one in his family to leave their native land. Mrs. Newberg's father also resides in Sweden, but her mother is dead.
Mr. Newberg is a gentleman of broad mind, keeping abreast of the times, and takes an active part in local affairs. He is especially interested in educational matters in his community, and has held different school offices, at the preet (sic) time serving as director of school district No. 54. In political faith he is a Republican, and stands firmly for the principles of his party.
position. From a very early day he has had to do with local interests in Cherry county and, though a young man, is familiar at pioneer gatherings as one of the oldest settlers of the county.
William M. Parker, the father of Lynn W., was a pioneer settler of Sheridan county, Nebraska, having located there as early as 1884. The family drove to that point from Valentine across the prairies, and had many interesting experiences as they penetrated the depths of what was largely still a wilderness. Zilpha A. Ladd, the wife of William M. Parker, and the mother of Lynn W., like her husband, came of an old and long established American family, and in their children appear many of the best characteristics of their New England lineage.
When the subject of this writing was a year old he was taken by his parents to Woodbury county, Iowa, where the family was settled on a farm, and where he remained until he was sixteen years of age. At that time elder Parker remove to Rushville, Nebraska, where he went into the hotel business, in which he was engaged until 1887. Lynn W. Parker was then engaged in office work for an attorney during the ensuing two years, and in 1889 took a position as a trainman in the employ of the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad, a position which he held for some five years. He was a resident of Omaha for two years, and for about the same length of time in Texas. In 1898 Mr. Parker secured government land on a homestead entry, as noted above, which he proved up in due season, and is now the owner of a very desirable Nebraska farm. He was appointed postmaster at Burge, July 1, 1904, and makes a popular and efficient official.
Mr. Parker was married in 1900 to Miss Lucy Redfern, a daughter of John and Lucy (Ball) Redfern, who now live ten miles west of Wood Lake. To this union have come two children, Millard R. and Eldon.
Much success has attended Mr. Parker in his various enterprises. He owns seven hundred acres, and has a lease of a section of land, with the control of a second section, so that he is now operating about two thousand acres of farming and grazing land. His own land fronts the Niobrara river, and is amply supplied with wild timber. He has an extensive orchard under way, and both wild and tame fruits are abundant. Here he has a good home, and is doing a large stock business. He is a Republican, and from the first has been associated with public affairs. He is assessor in German precinct, and is very popular in the community. His niece was the first baby born in the town of Rushville. Fraternally he is a member of the Crookston camp of the Modern Woodmen of America.
When he first came to this section he drove clear across the south part of the state in a covered wagon, and his first sack of corn, containing one hundred and twenty pounds, cost him five dollars. All provisions were high, and it was hard work to make a living then as the country was new, with no land broken up to raise a crop on. He went through many ups and downs during those years, but stuck to it and has gotten together a nice property, all gained through his own individual efforts. His farm comprises two hundred and eighty acres of good land, and his place is well covered with a good growth of natural timber. In 1892 he lost heavily through failure of his crops, and this put him in rather hard circumstances. He was farming during the dry years, and during the good years that have come since then he has raised more grain from thirty-three acres than he did off of two hundred acres in those days. He is contemplating taking up another homestead under the Kincaid
© 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project Resource Center by T&C Miller