landing in old Cheyenne county in June, 1885, and was the first man to build a house in this valley. He filed on a homestead and pre-empted a claim on section 34, township 17, range 44 proved up on both and afterwards moved to section 36, where he now lives. This is a school section and joins the town of Oshkosh, and he is one of the original settlers and the first settler to bring his family into the valley. Here he went through all the pioneer times in getting his farm established, meeting with every sort of frontier experience, and took an active part in the development of the section.
Mr. Robinson is now one of the large land owners in the county, having about eight hundred and twenty acres of splendidly improved land. About two hundred acres are cultivated, and the balance is devoted to ranching purposes, having large hay fields and plenty of grazing for a herd of three hundred cattle, and he also has quite a bunch of horses. He has a handsome residence and nice surroundings, substantial barns, etc
Mr. Robinson was married in Le Mars, Iowa, on February 6, 1882, to Mary Doolittle, who was a native of Wisconsin. Both Mr. and Mrs. Robinson's parents are dead. Nine children have come to bless their homes, named as follows: John Edwin, single; George L., married and living in Deuel county; Carrie Ella, wife of Bird Rogers, they living in Cheyenne county; Mabel Clare, wife of Robert Miller, also living in Deuel county; Mary Lillian, Floyd, Elizabeth, William C. and Frank, all at home. One brother of our subject lives in Deuel county, while a sister makes her home in California
Mr. Robinson is a Republican. He was elected county commissioner in 1889, holding that office up to 1894, also has served his county as surveyor, and is prominent in all county and state affairs. He is a leading citizen locally, now being a member of the school board.
Mr. Meng was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark, n 1856, on a farm. His father, George, was a carpenter and followed that occupation in connection with his farming operations up to the time of his death, which occurred in his native land in 1865. Our subject was reared in Denmark, following farming during his boyhood, and up to his sixteenth year, then came to America, landing in New York city. He came west, locating in eastern Nebraska, near Yankton, South Dakota, and spent some time in Cedar county, Nebraska. His time was spent on farms, and he also attended school, striving to improve his education, and finally went on a rented farm in that vicinity, spending in all eleven years in Cedar county. From there he moved to South Dakota, where he lived for three years, and in 1886 came to Sioux county, Nebraska, and filed on a pre-emption. He drove into the county from Chadron, camping out on the way, encountering hard storms during the trip. He located on Hat creek, taking a pre-emption, timber claim and later a homestead. He put up a log cabin, and during the first summer had no stable for his stock, and had a hard time to make a living, trying hard to improve his place. On arriving in the county he walked to his claim from Chadron, which was his nearest railroad town. Much of his time was spent at railroad construction during the hard times, in this way being able to add a little money for the support of his family, and after times grew better he was able to add good buildings and other improvements to his home and farm. His ranch now consists of ten hundred and forty acres, with three hundred and twenty acres of leased land, all of it being fenced and cross fenced, and he engages principally in stock raising. The ranch is admirably situated for a stock ranch, having plenty of running water the year around, and is one of the valuable estates in his locality
Mr. Meng was married in 1882 to Miss Christein Smith, a native of Schleswig-Holstein. She was reared in Denmark, her father and mother both dying there. Mrs. Meng and her sister Inger came to America in 1881, settling in Cedar county, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Meng have five children, namely: George, Mary, Hans, Jim and Lillie, all bright and intelligent, and a great help to their parents. They have a pleasant and happy home, and are held in high esteem as good neighbors and worthy citizens
Mr. Meng is counted among the leading old settlers of his section, and one who has taken an active part in its development. He is an independent voter, always supporting the best man, and his influence is used for good government. In 1898 he was elected county commissioner and has held that office for two terms.
Mr. Shaw was born in Cataragus (sic) county, New York, May 30, 1848. His father, Angeloah Shaw, was born of American stock, and a farmer by occupation. He was an early settler in Nebraska, coming here in 1876 with his family, consisting of himself and wife, who was Miss Mary Sapney, of Italian-English blood, with their seven children, of whom our subject was the eldest. He remained at home assisting his parents in carrying on their farm until he was twenty-four years of age, then started to working on a farm for himself in Trempealeau county, Wisconsin, locating there in 1864.
He lived in that state for ten years and then came to York county, Nebraska, taking up a homestead of eighty acres, on which he proved up in due time, building a nice house, in which he lived for nine years. Moving from there to Keya Paha county, he pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres in sections 3 and 4, township 34, range 18, on which there was large growth of natural timber. This place was only slightly improved, so he erected all the farm buildings and broke up more land as rapidly as he could. In 1898 he took an additional eighty acres under the homestead act, and now possesses six hundred and forty acres, all of which lies on Shingle creek. He cultivates sixty acres and keeps about seventy-five head of cattle and twenty horses, besides other small stock. When he first arrived in this locality he had less than a dollar and was forced to do all kinds of work to make a living during the hard times. He was handicapped by the dry years and many other discouraging circumstances, but he persevered and won success, well satisfied with the result of his hard labors and rough pioneer experiences
On December 24, 1872, our subject was married in Tremplealeau county to Miss Harried E. Baker, a native of the state of Michigan, born in 1854. To them have been born twelve children, of whom the following survive: Estella, married Frank Patton, living in Mills, Nebraska; Maggie, now Mrs. Fred Ogden, also of Mills; Albert H., Elsie and Orville. The family have a very pleasant and comfortable home and enjoy a host of warm friends and acquaintances in their community
Politically Mr. Shaw is a Republican, working for the best interests of his locality, although he has never sought public preferment.
Mr. Barlow is a native of Duanesburg, Schenectady county, New York, born March 10, 1862. He grew up in that locality, went to school and worked at different lines there until he was twenty years old. His mother died in 1866 in New York state, and the father in 1904 at Burtonville, New York.
Our subject first landed in Cheyenne county in 1882, locating at Lodgepole, and at once took charge of what is now the old "Coombs Ranch," used as a sheep ranch, remained for a year, then spent a few month in Chicago visiting, but returned to Lodgepole and took up ranching permanently, following that work for fifteen years. He then went back east on a visit, taking along with him a carload of horses of his own raising
Mr. Barlow homesteaded a tract during his early residence in Cheyenne county, filing on section 32, township 14, range 46, and sold the place in 1901. At the time of the sale of this homestead he owned a section and three-quarters of land, well stocked and in fine shape, all of which he had accumulated by his industry and good management. He is now owner of a good ranch property situated on Cottonwood creek, south of Lodgepole, consisting of three hundred and twenty acres, on which he runs about fifty head of horses.
During his residence here he has owned and sold many ranch properties, and has been most successful in all his tractions in buying and selling horses
On October 16, 1888, Mr. Barlow was married to Clara Belle Bates in Lodgepole. Mrs. Barlow was born in Wayne county, New York, and came to Lodgepole in 1888. She died in 1900, leaving two children, Floyd D. and George W. Mr. Barlow married again in 1902
Cora Davis at Chappell, Nebraska, the second Mrs. Barlow being a native of Red Oak, Iowa, born on February 22, 1884, coming to Deuel county, Nebraska, with her parents at the age of two years. Of this union one child was born, Fern Barlow, aged five.
Mr. Dove was born in Henry county, Illinois, in 1869. His father, Thomas Dove, was a native of England, who came to the United States in 1848, settling in Illinois as a pioneer, and died there in 1872. He married Lucy R. Hurlbert, a native of Vermont, of English blood also, and they raised a family of two children, of whom our subject, George H., was the first member and Thomas F. was the second child. George Dove came to Nebraska in the year 1875, and immediately upon landing here took up a government claim and proved up on it in due time, then bought more land, and at the present time is proprietor of half a section of good land. He has a good home and his farm is well improved with good buildings, fences, wells and windmills, etc. He has sixteen hundred rods of woven wire fencing on his ranch set up with the best of posts, making it durable and adding wonderfully to the beauty of his ranch. He has a good set of buildings, with modern conveniences, a water system in the house and an electric plant on the farm. He has built a modern ranch and home.
among the enterprising and worthy citizens of his community. He is a gentleman of good business management, and well merits his high standing as a citizen and farmer
Peter August Pultz was born in Denmark, August 1, 1853. He grew to manhood in his native land, and at the age of twenty-seven years left his home and sailed for America, embarking at Esberg early in April, 1880, and after a voyage of twenty-seven days he landed in Boston. He came directly west to friends in Grand Island, Nebraska, and shortly afterwards secured work at Dix, in Kimball county, on the railroad as a section hand. He worked for several years on the railroad and a short time on ranches
In the spring of 1884 he filed on a homestead in section 28, township 15, range 51, and also a tree claim, on which he has lived ever since, building up a good ranch and home. He is proprietor of four hundred and eighty acres, cultivating a small portion of the land and using the balance for hay and pasture, running in all about fifty head of stock Mr. Pultz has erected good stone buildings of all descriptions. One of the notable improvements is an elevated supply tank, from which he can run water to any part of the ranch. Prior to his marriage he was engaged in well drilling and has put down a number of wells in his section of the country. He found this work profitable and he met with marked success in the business
In 1907 Mr. Pultz was united in marriage to Miss Serena Frederickson, who was born in Denmark and came to America one year ago. Mrs. Pultz's mother is still living in Denmark. Mr. and Mrs. Pultz occupy a pleasant home and are favorites with all their neighbors. A son, Frederick, was born to them July 7, 1908
In political views our subject is an independent, in religious affairs an adherent of the Lutheran church
We take pleasure in calling
attention to a view of the substantial stone dwelling and
surrounding farm buildings which will be found elsewhere in this
Our subject, whose maiden name was Lydia B. Fletcher, was born February 20, 1852, at Augusta, Maine, and grew up there. At the age of sixteen her parents, Omar and Ruth (Bartlett) Fletcher, moved to Missouri, and were among the pioneers of Pike county, where the father died in 1883. The mother made her home in Nebraska for a few years and died there in 1892. Lydia was married in Pike county, February 21, 1878, to John F. Dye, a native of Pike county. His parents, Kenneth and Martha (Burroughs) Dye, natives of Kentucky. The young couple resided in Missouri four years and in 1882 settled at Denton, Lancaster county, Nebraska, where Mr. Dye engaged in farming and stock raising. In February, 1887, he arrived in Cheyenne county, and filed on a homestead in section 2, township 12, range 53, and filed on a timber claim in the same locality. There they built up a good home and spent many happy years together, watching the rapid growth of the country and accumulating a comfortable property for their later years. In June, 1904, Mrs. Dye took a Kincaid claim in the south half of section 2 and will prove up on it in June, 1909
On March 25, 1891, Mr. Dye departed this life, deeply mourned by his family and friends. Since her husband's death Mrs. Dye has carried on the farm and every appointment of the place bears evidence of her good management and thrift. Of three children born to them two died in infancy. Earl was born in Denton, Nebraska, on November 12, 1886, and he now lives on a homestead in section 12, township 12, range 53, near his mother's ranch.
He owns a six hundred and forty acres of good land and helps his mother in carrying on her place, which also contains six hundred and forty acres. They are both engaged in stock raising and farming, and their herd of one hundred and sixty high-bred Herefords and Shorthorn cattle is famous throughout the county. The son owns about forty horses at the present time, which he keeps for breeding and market purposes
Earl was married at the residence of the bride's mother in Sidney, June 8, 1907, to Miss Lena Ottemann. One son has been born to them, Ralph Jerome.
Mr. Dye is a Republican, active in local affairs, and is director of his school district, No. 31. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen at Sidney
Mrs. Dye was appointed to the position of postmistress at Dye, an office established on the Dye homestead, in April, 1906, and has made a most capable and popular official
On another page of this volume will be found an interesting picture of Mrs. Dye's residence and surroundings.
Mr. Fuller is a native of Jefferson county, New York, born September 3, 1850. He was the only child of his parents, and at the age of fifteen started out for himself, securing employment on a square-rigged sailing vessel, the Montgomery, on the great lakes, and when he was twenty-one years old he was master of the John Braden. Our subject followed a sailor's life up to 1898, living at times in Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago, the latter place being his home for eleven years. In 1880 he took up a homestead on Bear creek, in Cherry county, on which he proved up in due time, sailing eight months of the year and living four months on the ranch. This he stocked up well and sold to an advantage some years ago
In 1900 our subject came to Merriman, where he established the Anchor Bank, and is still engaged in operating this institution, which is regarded as one of the most solid in western Nebraska
Mr. Fuller was married in 1874 to Miss Mary C. McKee, born in the state of New York. She died in 1896, and two years later our subject was married to Miss Doris Leaman, who is the mother of a son, Sidney.
In political faith Mr. Fuller is a Republican and has always voted this ticket. He has held local office at various times, and is a member of the county central committee. He has been a member of the Masonic order since the age of twenty-one and now affiliates with the lodge at Gordon. He also holds membership in the Modern Woodmen of America at Merriman.
Mr. Griffiths was born in 1854 in Wales, England. He father was also named David, and he lived and died in Wales. Our subject left Cefncoed, Wales, in 1879, and moved to Grundy county, Illinois, after spending a few months in Pennsylvania. He was in the coal mines in Illinois until 1890, when he came to Phelps county, Nebraska, and purchased two hundred acres of farming land. He at once went to work breaking it up and erected a good set of substantial farm buildings, and from the start has been very successful in general farming and stock raising. He uses a portion of his farm for pasture, and runs from forty to fifty head of cattle and from fifty to one hundred hogs. He is progressive in his farming operations, and has one of the finest equipped farms in this locality. His land is well adapted for grain raising, and his wheat crop has shown a yield of forty bushels to the acre and corn up to fifty bushels per acres
Mr. Griffiths was married in 1878 to Miss Margarette Jones, who is a native of Wales, England. Mr. and Mrs. Griffiths have four sons and two daughters, as follows: Winnie, Thomas, Maggie, David, Morgan and Willie.
Mr. Griffiths is a man of active public spirit and is a deservedly influential and popular citizen, always working for the up building of the better interests of the people of his community. He has served his township as assessor during the years 1893, 1894 and 1895, and for the past five years has held the office of treasurer of Rock Falls township. He also served as treasurer of school district No. 57 for twelve years, and is among the leading men in his township. He takes a commendable interest in local and state politics, was a member of the county central committee of his party for several years, and has been chairman of the township committee for the last seven years. He is an independent voter.
Mr. Betson was born in Pennsylvania in 1858. His father was a farmer and for many years tilled the soil in Montgomery county, and our subject was reared and educated near Philadelphia, getting a good common school education and meantime assisting his parents in the farm work. At the age of ten years he left home and started out for himself, working in his native state up to 1881, then he came
to Kansas, where he was among the pioneers in Jackson county. He remained there for about eight years, and then moved to Nebraska, settling in Dawes county, where he took up a homestead in section 17, township 31, range 50, and started a farm, living in a rude shack during the first two years, constantly improving his place and building up until he has a ranch of nine hundred and sixty acres altogether. He has over two hundred acres of this under cultivation, and runs from seventy-five to eighty head of cattle each year. This place is all fenced and cross fenced, with good farm buildings, barns, sheds, etc. Besides farming and stock raising he has for the past six years been engaged in the threshing business, and now owns a fine twelve-horse-power steam outfit and threshes all over this and adjoining counties
Mr. Betson was married in 1886 while living in Jackson county, Kansas, to Miss Anna Phillip. Mrs. Betson's father was of Pennsylvania Dutch stock, and a pioneer in Kansas, where he farmed for many years. To Mr. And Mrs. Betson five children were born, namely: Charles, Alfred and Katie; Earl, a baby, and Alice: deceased
Mr. Betson has always been active n local affairs, and has helped establish schools in his locality, and served on the school board for many years. In politics he is an independent, voting for the man he thinks best fitted for the office.
In 1883 Mr. Chester came to western Nebraska, settling on a homestead in section 27, settling on a homestead in section 27, township 28, range 21, fifteen miles southwest of Long Pine. There he built a frame house, being associated with his brother, William Chester, whose sketch appears in this work on another page. The two worked together engaged exclusively in stock raising and ranching. They proved up on their place and bought more land until they owned two thousand acres in 1904, then sold out their holdings for a good round sum. The ranch was one of the best equipped in the vicinity, having plenty of cattle sheds, four deep wells and windmills, etc. They had five hundred head of cattle and twenty-five hundred head of cattle and twenty-five horses, and every penny of their property was made since coming to this part of the country out of the sand hills. When they first settled on their ranch there was only one house between their place and Long Pine, a distance of fifteen miles.
Mr. Chester was married in Wisconsin January 11, 1873, to Miss Evelyn Thomas, one of the earliest settlers in Wisconsin. He was an attorney and member of the territorial legislature for two terms, and later served two terms in the state legislature. For eight years he was state's attorney in Waukesha county, where his death occurred in 1902. He was a well known politician and public man, and one of the foremost citizens of Wisconsin, and his loss was deeply mourned by all who knew him
One child resulted from the marriage of our subject, a daughter, Inez, wife of Charles C. Ball, who is an engineer on the Chicago & Northwestern railway
Mr. Chester's death occurred in Long Pine March 29, 1908. He was a prominent Republican, and always attended the county conventions as a delegate, taking an active interest in all party affairs. He served one term as county assessor and for many years was precinct assessor. In the fall of 1907 he was elected county commissioner, having served but a short part of his term at the time of his demise. He was a Mason for twenty-five years and with his wife a member of the Long Pine chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, of which Mrs. Chester was a charter member and the first worthy matron
braska. His parents lived and died in their native land, where he was raised and educated, receiving a good common school training. During his young manhood he worked into the lumber woods in Sweden, and led a rugged, healthful outdoor life, remaining with his parents until he was thirty years of age, at which time he married Miss Anna Kaser, who was also born and raised in Sweden. Immediately after their marriage the young couple sailed for the new world, landing in New York city, and after a short stay there came west, settling in York county, Nebraska, but only remained there for two weeks, then came on to Perkins county. Here Mr. Tongren took up a homestead on section 26, township 12, range 40, and they started to build up a home and farm. He had but small capital to start with, putting up a rude frame shanty, and during the first years went through many hardships and privations. He witnessed the droth periods, losing several crops in succession, and often had difficulty in making both ends meet in the struggle for a living, but as times grew better he was able to improve his place in good shape, and his various enterprises has been crowned with a very fair measure of success, and he has become one of the solid and substantial men of his locality
Mr. Tongren is now the owner of a ranch of eight hundred acres, and of this he farms about two hundred acres. The entire place is well fenced and improved with food buildings, etc. He is engaged in stock raising to quite an extent, and is up-to-date and progressive in all his undertakings
During the early part of his residence in this section he went through the hardship of being without water, and was obliged to haul it a distance of our miles, but as he became better able, and conditions improved, he had wells drilled, and now has a fine supply, pumped to different points on his farm by wind mills, and has every convenience in the way of machinery and farm implements to make his work easy
Our subject has one son, Peter Tongren, who is attending school in Grand Island, Nebraska, and who will graduate from the Grand Island Business College in 1909.
Mr. Metcalf was born in Washington county, Maine, in 1865. His father, also named Albert, was a tinsmith by trade, and followed that occupation nearly all his life. Albert was raised in a small town in his native state and remained with his parents until he was twenty-two years of age, then struck out for himself, coming west and settling in Custer county, Nebraska, where he followed farm work for three years. He came to Grant county and located on a ranch fourteen miles southeast of Hyannis. This place was called the "Spring Valley Ranch", and he held the position of foreman for about three years. He next emigrated to Oregon, but only remained there for a short time then returned to Nebraska, and took charge of the old Collins ranch, which he operated for three years. From there he went to the S. S. Sears ranch and ran that for a time, and in 1902 settled on his present ranch in section 2, township 23, range 39, filing on the land as a homestead. He began making improvements as fast has he was able and built up a good ranch and at the present time is owner of a fine tract, consisting of six hundred and forty acres, all fenced and fitted with good buildings, wells and windmills, and is extensively engaged in the stock business, dealing principally in cattle. Although Mr. Metcalf is comparatively a young man, he has been most successful and has become widely known through the region as one of the substantial resident of the county, and is up-to-date and modern in his methods of operating his ranch
Mr. Metcalf was married in 1893, to Miss Velma Wright, daughter of Aaron Wright, a well-known ranchman of Grant county, and early settler in this region. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Metcalf, named as follows: Charles, Mary, Albert, Velma and Ina, all charming young people, and theirs is one of the most hospitable and congenial families a weary traveler would care to meet. Our subject takes a commendable interest in local affairs.
tinction, with his brother Charles A., of being the first settlers on the table land.
Mr. Johnson is a native of Sweden, born July 21, 1857. He was raised and educated there, remaining with his parents until he was a young man twenty-two years of age, then came to America alone to seek his fortune. He settled in Henry county, Illinois, and lived in that locality for six years, then came to Deuel county, arriving in the region in the spring of 1886. The following spring he filed on a homestead on section 14, township 13, range 44, which adjoined the ranch of his brother, Charles A. Johnson, who had come to America in 1881, and homesteaded in Deuel county in 1885
Our subject started in with a brave heart to develop a farm and build up a good home, and although meeting with many discouragements in the way of loss of crops during the drouth seasons and from other causes, he gradually improved his farm and became the possessor of additional land in the section, so that he is now owner of six hundred and forty acres, all of which is in first-class condition, having about two hundred acres under cultivation, on which he raises good crops. He is also engaged quite extensively in the stock business, having seventy-five head of cattle and quite a number of horses. His ranch has a fine set of farm buildings of all kinds, and he is counted among the progressive and up-to-date agriculturists and stockmen of his vicinity
Mr. Johnson was married in Henry county, Illinois, February 9, 1884, to Miss Augusta M. Bergman, also a native of Sweden, she coming to this country in 1881. Seven children were born of this union, namely: Fannie M., born in Illinois, now living in California; Amanda, married to August Anderson, they living in Deuel county. The following are at home: Edwin, Harry, Annie, Victor and Herman, all of whom assist in the work about the ranch. Mr. Johnson's father is dead, but his mother is still living in the old homestead in Sweden, and both the father and mother of his wife reside in that country. Our subject is deeply interested in school affairs in his township, at present serving as moderator of district No. 24. In politics he is a Republican, and firm in his convictions.
Mr. Weinel was born in Hessel, Germany, on a farm, in 1850. His parents were born and reared in that country, and spent their entire lives there, our subject living at home during his boyhood, and was married in his native village in 1876 to Margrett Danges. Together the young couple came to the new world to seek their fortune and build up a home for themselves and their posterity. They landed in New York city in April, 1884, and went directly to Marshalltown, Iowa, making that locality their home for two years. At the end of that time they came to Nebraska, arriving at Hay Springs by railroad in the spring of the year 1886, settling at their present location. Their almost sole possessions were a team and wagon, which they had driven from Iowa. They bought two cows after landing here, and filed on a homestead, putting up a rough shanty, which they occupied for a number of years
During the first year our subject made twenty-seven trips to Hay Springs, seventy or eighty miles distant, on freighting expeditions. They went through all the hardships and privations so well known to the early settlers of this state, meeting many disappointments in failure of crops by drouths and hailstorms and just as they were beginning to get along a little better had the misfortune to lose their barn, six horses, one thousand bushels of rain, granary and stable by fired. There was in 1893, and it was a severe setback to Mr. Weinel, and it was a long time before he recovered from this misfortune in financial way. The country was continually being more thickly settled, as when he first landed here there were only three shanties occupied by white settlers in his part of the township. However, the pioneers began to rush in, times grew better, and he was able to add many improvements, also purchased many acres additional, so that he is now owner of one thousand three hundred and sixty acres of fine land, all fenced, which he uses as a stock ranch, also does some farming. He leases, besides this large tract, a large piece of land adjoining his ranch, devoting quite a number of acres to the raising of potatoes, which yield a fine crop and nets a considerable sum each year
Mrs. Weinel died on the homestead in 1886, leaving a family of four children, namely: Pete, John P., Fred and Maggie. Mrs. Weinel was a lady of most estimable character, greatly beloved by all who knew her, and she was sincerely mourned by her family and many
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Chris Geis, T&C Miller