cowboy in order to earn money to improve his place. He did build up a good ranch, although he had many hard times and suffered much loss on account of the dry years and other causes, but stuck to his ranch and after a time got into the cattle business and succeeded splendidly in his venture in that line. He has since devoted his entire time and attention to the raising of stock, and has done well.
Mr. Coble was married in 1891, to Lucy Briton. She is a daughter of Washington Briton, who was a well-known farmer in Ohio, where Mrs. Coble was born and raised. Three children were born as a result of this union, namely: Goldie, aged sixteen; Crystal, aged thirteen; and Delmar, aged seven.
Our subject has always done his share as an old settler, taking an active part in local school and political affairs, and is held in high esteem in his community as a worthy and public-spirited citizen. He is a Democrat in his views, but votes for the best man that he thinks is for the masses of the people.
The gentleman whose name heads this personal history is one of the very earliest settlers in western Nebraska, and a prominent citizen of Woodson precinct, Perkins county, where he has a good home and valuable estate. He was born in Switzerland in 1857, and raised on a farm there. As a boy he learned the butcher's trade and worked at that for a number of years. He came to America at the age of twenty-three years, and after landing in New York city went to Winnebago county, Wisconsin, where he followed his trade for six years.
In 1885 Mr. Banderet made a trip through Nebraska and at that time saw many wild horses, antelope and other wild animals, and while through here he filed on a claim, this same land now being in Woodson precinct. He located permanently on a homestead in Perkins county in 1885, put up a rough shanty and started to establish a farm. His dwelling was a sod house, fourteen by twenty-four feet in size. In all he lived in three different sod houses. He went through pioneer experiences with his family. He finally proved up on his land, although he was obliged to work out at times to make a living, and at the time the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railway was being put through the region he helped in the construction of the same. He had no well on his place and during the first year hauled water for household use from Keith county, a distance of nine miles, and all supplies were hauled from North Platte, forty miles away. During the bad years he lost several crops by drouth, hail storms, and finally was obliged to abandon his homestead. He had a few horses and some other stock and he kept these and gradually built up a little stock business, which helped him through the hard times. In 1897 he bought his present ranch, the buildings of which are situated on section 30, township 12, range 35, and here he has a good home and farm, well improved in every way with buildings, etc., having a barn with a capacity for thirty horses, corn cribs, granary, house, twenty-four by twenty-four feet and fourteen by twenty feet. He owns in all fourteen hundred and forty-eight acres, and runs considerable stock, and does a large farming business. He has a fine Percheron stallion, registered, Paul, weight sixteen hundred and ten pounds at two years. He also raises the Jersey red hogs.
Mr. Banderet was married in 1884 to Miss Sophia Steck, who was born in Wisconsin, both her parents being natives of the old country, who came to America during their youth. Two children blessed the union of our subject and his estimable wife, named Dorothy and Harry.
Mr. Banderet has always been actively interested in all matters which tended to the betterment of his community. In 1895, during the hard times in his section, he went to Wisconsin and solicited a car load of grain which he had shipped to Wallace, Nebraska for the relief of his neighbors. This was given free by the people of his old Wisconsin home. In his political views he favors the Populist party. He has always taken active part in public affairs and has held various local offices.
Fred Crook, a prominent farmer and well-to-do resident of Paxton precinct, is owner of a fine estate on section 6, township 13, range 35, and an old settler in Keith county, who is well and favorably known throughout the region.
Mr. Crook was born in the Village of Meinche, province of Hanover Germany, January 9, 1862, and reared on a farm. His father was a carpenter by trade, and spent his entire life in his native country, as did the mother, Sophia Lauschmor, in maidenhood. At the age of nineteen he came to America, sailing from Bremen Haven in the Strausburg, and after a voyage of seventeen days
landed in Baltimore. Coming directly west he located first in North Platte, Nebraska, and after a short time there, moved to Brule, where he remained eighteen months, securing employment on the section work of the railroad and then came to Paxton, where he was similarly employed. He followed that occupation for twenty-two years, and for ten years of the time was foreman of the section. Our subject filed on his present homestead in 1884, and has spent the entire time on the place. He first built a sod house, in which he lived with his family for many years. He made many improvements, and continually added to his acreage as he became able, and is now owner of four hundred and fifty acres of good ranch and farm land, with a complete set of good farm buildings. He runs about fifteen horses, fifty cattle and as many hogs. He is interested in dairying, selling the product of sixteen cows in town.
In 1893 Mr. Crook was united in marriage to Miss Augusta Ambersot, whose parents were early settlers in Keith county. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Crook, named as follows: Fred, Harry, Lena, Willie, Allie, Emma, Eddie and Minnie. They are all bright, intelligent children, and are being taught to be a help and comfort to their parents. Their home life is congenial, and the family is held in the highest esteem in their community. Mr. Crook is a Republican in politics, a member of the Lutheran church, and of the Paxton lodge of Modern Woodmen.
We show a view of Mr. Crook's home with its many growing trees and orchard on another page of our work.
For the past twenty years the gentleman here named has made western Nebraska his home, and now resides on section 14, township 29, range 45, where he has a pleasant home and valuable property. He is a thorough and systematic farmer, and held in highest esteem by every one in his home community.
Mr. Peters was born in Calumet county, Wisconsin, in 1866. His father, Peter Peters, was born in Holland, and came to America at the age of twenty-six years, settling in Wisconsin, where he was among the pioneers of that state. He married Mary A. Vanderloop, born in Holland, who came to this country with her parents when ten years old. and they had a family of eleven children, of whom Arnold was the fourth member in order of birth. He remained with his parents up to the time he was twenty-four years of age, then left home and worked out one year in Butler county, Nebraska. In March, 1890, he again came to Nebraska, locating on section 14, township 29, range 45, as a homestead, also took a pre-emption south of this place and later turned it into a tree claim, buying a relinquishment. There was only a sod shanty on the place when he took it, and all the money he had to his name was seventy dollars. He borrowed enough to purchase a team of oxen and his land, then worked the oxen six years before he was able to buy horses.
In 1891 he built a new sod house, in which he lived with his family up to 1903, then built a nice frame house in which they now live, which is a modern house in every respect and fitted up with all conveniences. After taking his farm he broke up some of his land and put in a crop of sod corn, and after it was nicely started and he expected a large crop, it was entirely destroyed by a hail storm. Then the dry years came on and he was obliged to quit farming, so gathered some stock around him and started in the stock business. He was always able to raise a good crop of corn and potatoes, and never had to buy any feed. He had a number of cows and some chickens, and these about kept the family in provisions, and everything he could save went into the purchase of more land, at one time trading six steers for a quarter section of land. He never had any idea of leaving the place, but kept on buying land while it was cheap, fencing it as he was able, buying most of his fencing of his neighbors when they gave up their land and moved away. He now owns eighteen hundred and forty acres of mixed farming and grazing land, most of which lies along the river, using all of it as pasture and farming land. In 1905 he rented a large piece for which he received a dollar per acre cash rent. He runs one hundred and twenty-five head of stock and uses most of his produce on his home farm. He has some alfalfa which is doing well, and will put in more later.
Mr. Peters was married in 1892 to Miss Minnie Jahn, a native of Austria, born in 1874. Her parents were born and raised in Austria and came to this country when young people, settling in Nebraska in the early days, now making their home in Texas. Mr. and Mrs. Peters have five children, namely: Anna M., Lena M., Josephine A., Elsie M. and Francis Joseph, all born and raised on their present homestead.
Mr. Peters is well satisfied with what he has accomplished here and would not care to
return east to live. The only drawback is the long distance to town, but that is a minor consideration. He gets his mail at Hay Springs. He is an independent voter in local affairs, but in national affairs leans toward the Democrats, although he never dabbles in politics to any great extent.
BERTON K. BUSHEE.
A prominent place among the list of prosperous and energetic business men of Kimball county is accorded the gentleman's name mentioned above. Although comparatively a very young man, his influence is keenly felt in the financial and political circles of his community, and he is recognized as one of the leading men of affairs here.
Berton K. Bushee was born in Dartford, Wisconsin, May 3, 1871. His father was a native of New York state, born in 1820, and died in Kimball county, June 10, 1893, while his mother was born, reared and married in Wisconsin, and died in Kimball county, Nebraska, in November, 1894. He was the only child of his parents, and received his early education in the state of his birth, coming to Nebraska with his father and mother in 1888, the former homesteading on section 20 township 16, range 53, and altogether they built up a good home and farm here. In 1892 our subject filed on a claim for himself. proved up on it and then sold out. He was elected county superintendent of schools in 1895, holding that position up to 1900, and was again elected in 1904, holding the office for one term. During his first term he had settled in the town of Kimball, and made that his home afterward. He was elected a member of the village council in 1904, and served for two years, then was elected mayor of the town. In 1898 he had engaged in the general mercantile business in partnership with Henry Vogler, and was associated with that gentleman for eight years, then bought his interest in the concern, and is now sole owner and manager of the business. He has enlarged his stock and has one of the best equipped stores of the kind in the county, with a steadily increasing patronage.
Mr. Bushee was married April 4, 1894, to Ruth B. Cunningham, who was born in Missouri, coming to Nebraska with her parents in 1881, and locating in Cheyenne county, where they still reside. Our subject has one child, Helen Bernice, now eleven years of age, who is a charming young miss.
Since locating in this section Mr. Bushee has been active in politics and takes a great interest in all matters appertaining to national, state and local affairs. He is president of the Commercial Club of Kimball, which organization is an important factor in the business and social affairs of western Nebraska. He is also vice-president and director of the Bank of Kimball. Politically he is a Republican. In the fall of 1908 Mr. Bushee was elected representative of the fifty-fourth legislative district on the Republican ticket.
CHARLES E. WILTSEY.
Charles E. Wiltsey, one of the enterprising and energetic citizens of Box Butte county, where he takes high rank for his sterling qualities of heart and mind, was born in Warren county, Illinois, in 1839, and comes of an old Indiana family. He is justly proud of his lineage, and retains unsullied the honored name that has come down to him from his fathers. The father, Henry Wiltsey, was born and raised in Indiana, and he married Sarah J. Thomas, also a native of that state. The family came to Illinois in the early forties, and our subject was born and reared in that state until he reached the age of nine years, then with his parents, settled in Lucas county, Iowa, on a farm. There Charles attended country schools where he received a good education, also helped his father carry on the work on the home farm until the time of the latter's death, which occurred December 28, 1886, Both mother and father died in Iowa, and our subject lived on the farm and carried on the work up to the spring of 1890. Besides operating his father's place, Charles bought a farm of his own in 1890, and worked that for a number of years before leaving Iowa. He built up a good home and made great success there, but decided to try his fortune farther west, so in 1901 left that state and came to Nebraska, landing in Box Butte, county on January 1st, of that year. He bought land and has added to his original holdings until he is now owner of a ranch of twenty quarter sections, all deeded which is considered one of the most valuable estates in the county. This is located in Section 1, township 27, range 49. He has three hundred acres seeded in tame grass, also crops, four hundred acres, besides running a large number of cattle and other stock. The whole place is well fenced and improved in fine shape and he is one of Box Butte county's representative farmers, a leading citizen of his community.
Our subject was married in the fall of 1887
to Miss Electa D. Rockey, and to this union have been born six children, named: J. L., C. C., Walter, Edna May, Jenevieve and Glen.
Mr. Wiltsey has always voted the Republican ticket.
WILLIAM H. SPRAGUE.
To the present visitor of the agricultural district of Garfield precinct, Keya Paha county, a pleasant sight in the well-improved farms and highly cultivated tracts greets the eye, and it is hard to conceive of the transformation that has taken place in this locality within the past quarter of a century. When the gentleman above named located on his present farm on section 9, township 33, range 22, there was not a building in sight and the land was in its wild state, but he foresaw the possibilities of the region and remained to become owner of one of the well improved farms of this thriving district, and is now enjoying a competence as a result of his labors. He is widely known throughout the country as one of the oldest settlers, a prosperous and energetic farmer, and commands the respect of the entire community.
Mr. Sprague was born in Ogle county, Illinois, September 9, 1847, where he was reared and educated on a farm, learning to do all kinds of hard work while still a mere lad. His father, John W. Sprague, was born and reared in Providence, Rhode Island, of American stock, and when twenty-one years of age he was married in Ohio to Elizabeth Smith, a native of that state. Although city bred he adopted farming as an occupation directly. He was the father of thirteen children, our subject being the second member. When he was nine years of age the family moved to Powieshiek county, Iowa, and thence at eighteen years of age he started out for himself as a farm laborer. In 1880 he moved to Carroll county, Iowa, where he started a farm for himself, remaining there five years, and then came to Keya Paha county, taking up his present farm as a homestead. This was an entirely unimproved property, and did not have a stick of timber on it, so he at once began improving it, planting a large number of forest trees, and fruit trees of different varieties. He built a sod-log house, and lived in it for fifteen years, then erected a nice frame house. During the dry years he had many discouragements and often felt like leaving the place, and although many of his neighbors moved away he determined to stick to it, and managed to get along some way. At that time he lost all his trees and had to replant the grove which is now one of the thriftiest in the region. He also lost cattle from blackleg and pinkeye, and seemed to have every kind of misfortune. He left the place in September, 1892, and returned to Iowa, where he rented a farm for eleven hundred and ten dollars cash rent, but transferred his lease there six weeks later to resume his efforts in Nebraska, and has stuck to his farm ever since. He now has eight hundred and eighty acres of good land, one hundred and fifty acres under the plow, and keeps as many as ninety cattle and from twenty to twenty-five horses, besides raising about one hundred and twenty-five hogs each year for market. He has ten miles of fence on his place and everything is in first-class condition, showing the greatest care and good management in its operation. His cave, recently constructed, is one of the finest in the county.
Mr. Sprague was married November 12, 1871, to Miss Helen Helmer, born in Rock county, Wisconsin, in 1847, her parents settling in Iowa in 1851, where she attained womanhood. Mr. and Mrs. Sprague have one child, George W., besides two adopted children, Clyde Lester and Sarah Lena. During the early years there was a hard time to establish schools in this region, and Mr. Sprague and his neighbors broke land for a settler in payment for his services as a teacher. He has always taken an active part in local affairs looking to the best interests of his community, and is one of the leading men of his locality. Politically he is a Populist and in religion is a member of the Church of the latter Day Saints.
W. W. BOWER.
W. W. Bower, for many years a progressive and successful farmer of Deuel county, is a prominent member of his community, and well and favorably known throughout the region, having first seen Nebraska in 1878, and was among the first settlers to begin farming.
Mr. Bower was born in Texas, and first saw the light on January 7, 1863. He grew up there, and when about fifteen years of age, "hit the trail" for himself, accompanied by two brothers, going to Julesburg, Colorado, in 1878. They remained there a short time, finally securing employment on the L. F. ranch, and worked for the outfit for four years, following the range all of that time. Our subject returned to Texas in the fall of 1881, soon returning to Nebraska, trailing a
bunch of horses for himself, and going into Kansas where he engaged in the ranching business in the Cherokee strip. He was in partnership with his two brothers, and in the spring of 1883 they left him, coming to Cheyenne county with a bunch of horses, he remaining there buying and selling horses through Kansas and in adjoining states, keeping this up for several years. After a year spent in Denver, Colorado, he came to Deuel county, arriving here in 1890, and at once filed on homestead rights on sections 8 and 9, township 17, range 45, and engaged in the ranching business afresh. He increased his herd of cattle and horses constantly, also purchased additional land, and is now owner of eight hundred acres, which he has in pasture and hay land for his stock, keeping cattle, horses and hogs. His ranch is well improved with a complete set of substantial buildings, and is one of the valuable estates in the county. The ranch is located about eleven miles northwest of Oshkosh in the North Platte valley, and is entirely under irrigation.
In 1904 Mr. Bower established a general merchandise store in Oshkosh, putting in a complete stock of goods, and has built up a large and constantly increasing trade throughout the surrounding country. He has one of the large store buildings of the town, twenty-four by sixty feet, and besides this has a shed and store room.
On August 29, 1883, Mr. Bower was married to Miss Sylva Thomas, the marriage taking place in Kansas. Mrs. Bower is a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children, Zulah, wife of Will F. Gumaer, they residing in Oshkosh, and Beulah, who is living with her parents in the same town. Mr. Bower's parents are both dead, while his wife's mother resides in Kansas. During the years 1900-1902 inclusive, Mr. Bower filled the office of sheriff of Deuel county, and proved a very popular and capable public officer. He is one of the leading men of affairs in Oshkosh, and is a member of the Commercial Club of that town. Politically he is a Democrat, and takes an active part in local and county public affairs.
John Jochem was born in West Prussia, Germany, June 8, 1850. His father, Rhinehold, was a fisherman and sailor by occupation and was drowned when our subject was but three years old. The mother's maiden name was Helena Weber. After his father's death, John was reared in the family of an aunt until he was eleven years of age, when his mother was married again and our subject went to his mother's new home to live. In the meantime he worked out at various occupations, principally farming, and he served in the German army during the German-Franco war in 1870 and 1871. After the war he followed farming and for one whole year his earnings were only nineteen dollars in excess of his board, but after the first year, he was able to earn from fifty-one to sixty-one dollars and his board per year.
In 1875 John Jochem was married to Wilhelmina Bomgardt, a daughter of poor but honest German parents. Their marriage resulted in five children: Charles, Gustav, Henry, John and Emma. The good wife died in Blaine county in 1894. Mr. Jochem was married again in 1895, taking for his second wife Miss Caroline Neiman, who was born in Germany and came to America to become Mr. Jochem's wife. They have one child, eleven years old, named Lena.
On the death of his first wife our subject was left with a family of small children for whom he had to take the place of both father and mother, having to do all the serving. cooking, washing and all other duties required in caring for the little ones. Times were exceedingly hard, crop failures followed season after season for several years and the hardships that our subject had to endure cannot be enumerated. But he never once thought of breaking up his family or his home, and by hard, persistent work he kept the children together and maintained the home. He knew his second wife only through friends and by correspondence, and after they had determined to marry each other, between them they managed to get enough money together to pay her passage over to America. She has been an admirable helpmate and by her work and industry has greatly assisted in building their pleasant home. Our subject has reared a large and interesting family and he has reason to be proud of his children.
Our subject came to America in 1881, landing at New York, from whence he went to Plano, Illinois, where for several years he was on a farm and then for three years he worked for the Plano Harvester Company. In 1886 he came to Omaha, remaining one year. He then came to Blaine county, bringing goods and chattels amounting to eight hundred dollars. He first settled on a homestead six miles north of Brewster, remaining there for seven years. But bad luck was with him here, the land was not good and it was here that his first wife died. In 1895
he settled on his present homestead in section 4, township 24, range 22, and, although he started with almost nothing, he and his good wife and family have built up a good home and ranch of eight hundred and ninety-three acres. He has a good house, large barns and has the land improved in an up-to-date manner. He has good groves of forest trees, an orchard of apple trees, plums and cherries, and an abundance of small fruit. Mr. Jochem is enjoying prosperity and is esteemed by his associates as a man of sterling worth and honorable character.
EDWARD T. GREGG.
Edward T. Gregg, a popular and capable citizen of Dawes county, whose residence is located in section 4, township 28, range 51, is one of the men of whom the people of the surrounding community are justifiably proud. He was born in the state of New York in 1857, a son of William T. and Elizabeth (MeGregory) Gregg, natives of Scotland. Our subject's father was a railroad contractor, and assisted in the construction of the railroads throughout that part of the country. For a short time after the birth of Edward the family remained in New York, removing later to Vermont and Maine.
When our subject had attained the age of twenty-two years he left his home and came west to Marshall county, Iowa, Here he entered the milling business in the town of Quarry. In 1884 he came to Box Butte county, Nebraska, locating ten miles south of Marsland, where he took up a claim on pre-emption, and for six months lived in a tent. He then built a log house, the roof of which was blown off during a terrific storm. He then built a sod house. He came to Dawes county in 1885, driving from Gordon, taking up a homestead claim near Marsland. From time to time he added adjacent tracts of land to his original entry, and now has a large ranch of over seventeen hundred and seventy-five acres of deeded land extending along the Niobrara river, and three quarter-sections homesteaded in Dawes and Box Butte counties. He has one hundred and sixty acres under cultivation, and has one ice pond on his place that yields annually about ten hundred to twelve hundred car loads of ice.
Mr. Gregg has provided a nice residence for his family, a good well and wind mill, and has erected substantial buildings in which to house his stock. During the period of drouths so well known to early settlers of this section of the country, our subject was not discouraged by the many failures of crops which he experienced, and the faith which he had in this new country has not been misplaced. While the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad was in the course of construction through Dawes and Box Butte counties, our subject assisted in the surveying, and worked on the survey to Deadwood, South Dakota, and New Castle, Wyoming.
In 1877 Mr. Gregg and Miss Ida Thompson were married in Maine. She was the daughter of Joseph and Maria (Earl) Thompson. Her father was a shoemaker by trade. Mr. and Mrs. Gregg are the happy parents of seven living children, viz.: George, Charles, Ina, William, Fay, Doris and Earl; three are deceased - Ira, Frank and Harry. All the children with the exception of the two oldest were born in Nebraska. The first child born to them in this state came to them while living in the tent in Box Butte county.
In political matters Mr. Gregg is a Republican. He is a man who takes a prominent place in local affairs, and has held various school offices for years. He served as assessor for two or three terms. He has made many staunch friends, and is highly respected by all who have the pleasure of knowing him.
In the vicinity of Thurman
postoffice, Rock county, Nebraska, Oliver Jacox has made himself a
good home and name of honor and worth. He has made a success of
his vocation, and is one of the intelligent and enterprising men
of the community. Here he has gathered around him a host of
friends, who know him as a man of upright character, and through
industry, honesty and perseverance he has gained a comfortable
competence. A view of his residence and buildings may be found on
another page of this work.
When Oliver Jacox was ten years old he began caring for himself, and for some years worked as a farm boy. In 1876 he came to Madison county, Nebraska, where he made his home for seven years. In 1883 we find him in Rock county, where his father had secured pre-emption and tree claims in section 31, township 29, range 18, and here our subject made a homestead entry in section 29, and the land thus secured has been converted by his unwearied industry and modern farming into one of the choice places of the county. Especial prominence is given to the dairy, forty cows now furnishing a large supply of excellent cream which is shipped to the east. This is the most profitable branch of industry on the farm.
Mr. Jacox was married in Rock county, August 7, 1897, to Miss Laura Miller, whose people came to Washington, Nebraska, in 1880. This has proved a peculiarly happy union, and it has been blessed by the coming of the following children: Cecil, Ward, Garland, Kermet and Irene. In Mrs. Jacox our subject found a brave hearted companion, and one ready for any privation that might advance the family interest. While in Madison county. they lived in a sod shanty, and when successive crops were taken by grasshoppers or died under dry and burning skies, her voice and face were always cheery.
Mr. Jacox is a strong Republican. but has never aspired to official position. His home and farm have been a large field for his activities. Fraternally he is a member of the Bassett Lodge of Odd Fellows. As has frequently been said of him, he deserves his success he has earned it by his own hands and brain, having had no assistance outside of his own efforts and that of his estimable helpmeet.
The gentleman whose name heads this personal history is in the front ranks of the prosperous and successful ranchmen of Cheyenne county. He is also one of the early settlers of that region, who has seen the many changes which have taken place in western Nebraska during the past twenty years, and has taken no small part in the development of the agricultural and ranching interests of his section. Mr. Saali owns a valuable estate in Union Valley precinct and is widely esteemed as a worthy citizen and good neighbor.
Lorenz Saali was born in the village of Eberbach, district of Weisenberg, Alsace, that part of France which is now German territory, on October 2, 1858. His parents, Martin and Mary Ann (Meyer) Saali, are now deceased. Our subject grew up in his native land, following farming during his boyhood. He served two years in the Seventh Infantry of the German army. At the age of twenty-five he started for the new world, sailing from Bremen Haven on the American, landing in Baltimore after a fourteen days' voyage, March 8, 1883. He at first went to Winona county, Minnesota, where a brother had preceeded him, and a year later came to Otoe county, Nebraska, farming near Nebraska City for three years. In the spring of 1887 he arrived in Cheyenne county, and immediately filed on a homestead in section 24, township 17, range 48, which is now a part of his ranch. He went through hard times during his early residence in Nebraska, but worked hard to accumulate a little property and build up a home, and although he met with many failures of crops during the dry years, he was in the main successful and has succeeded in a marked degree, now owning a fine ranch of nine hundred and sixty acres, all well improved with good substantial buildings, wind mills and fences. He had a quantity of good timber on the land, but this is now almost exhausted. However, he has planted a fine grove, and has an abundant supply of good water. There are under cultivation about one hundred and twenty-five acres, with good pasture and hay land. He engages in stock raising on quite a large scale, running about one hundred and twenty-five head of cattle and sixty horses annually.
Mr. Saali was married in Cheyenne county August 12, 1901, to Miss Susanna Laibe, daughter of William and Barbara (Walberg) Laibe, both deceased. They have one child, Louis Joseph, born August 4, 1906. The family occupy a comfortable and pleasant home. They have a large circle of friends in their community.
In his political views Mr. Saali is a stanch supporter of the Republican party principles. He is a consistent member of the Catholic church. On another page of this work will be found a view of the family home.
Edward Satterlee, one of the prominent business men of Nenzel, Nebraska, is comparatively young man who has built a good trade and acquired a pleasant and comfortable home here.
Mr. Satterlee was born in St. Louis, Mis-
souri, January 29, 1861. His father, Thomas Satterlee, of American stock, ran a ferry boat on the Mississippi river for a number of years. Our subject's parents moved to Boone county, Iowa, with their family of five children, of whom he was the second member, when he was quite a young lad. He lived at home until reaching the age of fifteen years, then started out for himself, following different kinds of work. For five years he freighted, drove stage and railroaded in Texas, then went back to Iowa and remained there a few years, driving teams for different owners. In 1883 he located in Dakota and proved up on a homestead there, and after three years spent in that locality he came on to Nebraska and March 17, 1886, reached Cherry county. Here, on April 7, 1886, he took a timber claim, near Nenzel, which he still holds, and to which he has added until the ranch now comprises twenty-three hundred acres, improved with good buildings, fences, etc., and well stocked with cattle. He employs a good man to run this place, but still superintends the management of it. In 1896 he opened a store in Nenzel, which is in a flourishing condition, and enjoys a wide patronage.
On February 7, 1895, Mr. Satterlee was married to Miss Elizabeth Shaughnessy, born in Ohio in 1874. She came of Irish stock, and moved to Nebraska with her parents in 1878; at the present time they are residing in the city of Valentine. Mr. and Mrs. Satterlee have a family of seven children, named as follows: Frances, Dennis, Thomas (deceased), Margaret, Joseph, Edward and George, all of whom were born and reared in Cherry county.
Mr. Satterlee has always done all in his power to assist in the development of his county, and although he has met with severe losses at different times since coming here, he has never experienced the hardships and privations that fell to the lot of so many of the pioneers of Nebraska. He has accumulated a valuable estate and built up a comfortable home, and is well satisfied with the fruits of his labor and prepared to spend the balance of his life enjoying what he has worked so hard to attain. In political faith he is a Democrat and fraternally a member of the Georgia Lodge, Modern Woodmen of America. The members of the family are all communicants of the Catholic church.
James Snyder, one of the early settlers in Nebraska, is well known all over Lincoln county as an enterprising and prosperous business man, and highly respected as a citizen. He resides in North Platte, where he has a comfortable home and he and his family enjoy a wide circle of warm friends and acquaintances.
He is a son of Anthony Snyder, formerly of Crawford county, Ohio, one of the oldest settlers in that locality. The family previous to this lived in Pickaway county, Ohio, and about the year 1840 they moved to Crawford county where the country was newer, and opportunities better for the pioneer settlers. In November, 1869, our subject first came to Nebraska, and in 1873 came to North Platte where he at once engaged in his chosen trade as a carpenter and builder. He worked at this for the following three years, and then obtained employment on the railroad, beginning as fireman with the Northern Pacific railway. He worked faithfully at this, attending strictly to his duties, and in 1881 was given the position of conductor with the company, and since that time has been employed in that capacity, being one of the oldest men in that work now serving with the Union Pacific people.
Mr. Snyder was married to Miss Mattie Scott, and they have a family of two children, named as follows: Ray, who is a condustor (sic) on the same road with his father, residing at North Platte. He was married to Miss Flynn, daughter of Thomas Flynn, of North Platte, who is an engineer. They. have one son, Robert Snyder; Asa Snyder, the second son, is an engineer inspector on the Union Pacific railroad, also residing at North Platte, father of two sons, all being railroad men.
Mr. Snyder is a prominent member of the Order of Railroad Conductors, at North Platte, also of the Woodmen lodge at that place.
FREMONT T. BUCHANAN.
Fremont T. Buchanan has been a resident of Dawes county for many years past, and has built up a good home and property through strict integrity and good management of his different enterprises. Mr. Buchanan is counted among the leading citizens and is one of the oldest settlers in this part of the country, and held in the highest esteem by all who know him.
Mr. Buchanan was born in Hendricks county, Indiana, in 1863, on a farm. His father, R. M. Buchanan, was a farmer and school teacher in that state, and it is believed that he was a native of Kentucky. The. father died when our subject was a small boy,
leaving his wife, who was Miss Christina White, to care for their family of children. The mother died in Nebraska in the year 1905. When Fremont was ten years of age the family moved to Gentry county, Missouri, and there he grew up and was educated, attending the common schools and helping support the family. At the age of twenty-two he came to Dawes county, driving from Valentine with a team, spending the nights camped out along the road. Upon landing here he located on section 33, township 32, range 50, and at once went to work to build up a home and farm. He put up a log cabin, and started with a very small capital. His place was wild prairie land, and entirely unimproved, but he stuck to it and succeeded in building it up in good shape, and made money. He went through the usual pioneer experiences, and many times met with severe losses and discouragements, but never gave up, and is now the proud possessor of a fine four hundred and eighty-acre farm, improved in good shape. This is located on Indian creek, and he cultivates seventy-five acres, having the balance in pasture and hay land for his stock, running a large number of cattle and horses each year.
Mr. Buchanan is a Republican in politics.
THOMAS A. McKEOWN.
The farming community of Rock county has an able representative in the gentleman above named, who thoroughly understands all that is essential to success in Nebraska agriculture, and has won a pronounced success in all his grain and stock enterprises in the state. It has not been the result of accident with him that things go right but because he has studied and understood what was required and then has never hesitated to work and wait until things came right, as they always do to the man who is willing to pay the price.
Mr. McKeown, was born January 9, 1852, on a farm in Putnam county, Indiana, where his youth and early manhood were familiar with toil and labor. His father, William McKeown, was a farmer, who was born in Scotland, and who came to Canada in 1846, and still later removed to Indiana. He married Miss Eliza Hall, who was of American descent, and a lady of much character. William McKeown and wife when somewhat advanced in years removed to Pottawatomie county, Iowa, where their lives ended.
Thomas A. McKeown left the shelter of the paternal home when about nineteen years of age, and struck out into the great world to find for himself the path to honor and wealth. He journeyed into the far west, an visited Nevada and Utah, but after a wide inspection of the mountain and valley country, decided to locate in Rock county, which he was sure would presently become the location of a very large population. In 1880 he took a pre-emption claim in section 11, township 30, range 17, and this desirable tract of land has been his home to the present time. Beginning under the simple conditions of pioneering days, for two years his only home was a sod shanty, which was finally replaced by a frame structure, the lumber used in its building being hauled from Stuart. Here for about seven years the young settler "batched" and hoped for better days, which finally came when Miss Mina Kirkland consented to become his wife, November 28, 1887. Her father, Samuel Kirkland, lived in Iowa, where he was well known among the old settlers of that state. Mr. and Mrs. McKeown are the parents of three children, Mack, Charles and Frank.
In 1888 their house was destroyed by fire, and while the blow was heavy they felt that they were fortunate to escape uninjured. The McKeowns have since built a fine residence on the farm, and regard themselves as most comfortably situated. The home farm consists of about eleven hundred and twenty acres of Elkhorn valley land, and is largely devoted to stock raising and shipping hay. In 1905 he wintered a hundred head of stock, and sold thirty-seven hundred and fifty dollars worth of hay, and this beside grain and stock farming as ordinarily followed.
Mr. McKeown is a man of more than ordinary standing. In political relations he is Republican, and in 1902 he was a member of the county board. Deeply interested in a vital public questions, he is known as a gentleman of the most excellent repute. Of the lodges, he holds membership in the Masons at Bassett and the Odd Fellows and Workmen at Newport.
JOHN H. COX.
John H. Cox, prominent in Cheyenne county, Nebraska, as a progressive farmer and successful ranchman, resides on his valuable estate in Chambers precinct. He is well known to all the residents of that part of the county, having charge of the mail route between the town of Potter and Dye postoffice, being faithful in the performance of this duty, never allowing anything to interfere with the prompt delivery of the mails. He has a pleas-
ant home, a new dwelling built in 1907, on the table land, the former residence having been on the lower elevation of the "draw."
Mr. Cox, a son of William A. J. and Elizabeth (Burton) Cox, was born in Jennings county, Indiana, February 15, 1862, and lived there until he was seven years old, at which time his parents moved to Lynn county, Kansas, and remained there for about eight years, when they went to Woodson county, living until 1899 in Neosho Falls, Kansas. At that time our subject came to Cheyenne county, where he worked as a stone mason and also farmed part of the time. He was for six years connected with a general merchandise establishment at Sidney, part of the time as proprietor and part of the time working as a salesman. In 1905 he took a Kincaid claim on section 30, township 13, range 52, which is his present home. Here he has about sixty acres cultivated, raising good crops of small grain, and runs a small bunch of cattle. He has his place well improved, and is now making extensive improvements as noted above, and for the time he has lived here has done remarkably well.
Mr. Cox was married to Miss Bertie Burton, at Neosho Falls, Kansas. June 20, 1886. Mrs. Cox is a native of Indiana, born April 3, 1871, and with her parents was among the pioneers in Kansas, where the parents still reside. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cox, Viola and Clara. both charming young ladies.
Politically Mr. Cox is a Republican. At present he is serving as school treasurer of his district. He is a member of the Potter Lodge of Maccabees.
JONATHAN L. COON.
The gentleman above mentioned is a prominent resident of Garfield county, where he has been active in all affairs of his locality for many years past. He has been financially successful since coming to this region in 1877, and is considered one of the leading citizens of his county, highly respected by all who know him. Mr. Coon resides in Burwell at the present time, owns a nice home there and is one of the good farmers there.
Mr. Coon was born in New York state, February 12, 1840. His father, Charles Coon, was a native of that state, of Scotch-English descent, who married Phoebe Lamphear, born and raised in New York. When our subject was an infant the family left New York and emigrated to Wisconsin, where they took up a homestead and remained for seventeen years, then removed to Minnesota, locating in Freborn county, and lived there up to May, 1877. Jonathan grew up in the northern country, following farm work during his young manhood, attending the country schools during the winter months and assisting his father at other times. At the age of thirty-seven Mr. Coon left Minnesota and came to Nebraska, landing in this state the 1st day of July of 1877. He settled in Valley county and filed on a pre-emption, on which he proved up, and later bought more land adjoining this. He was proprietor of two hundred and sixty acres of good land, located a few miles northeast of Burwell, where he superintended his farming operations, although he had retired from active work on his farms, and lived in Burwell. Lately he traded the above described property for his home in Burwell.
Mr. Coon was married on December 12, 1863, to Louise R. Maine, a native of New York state. Mr. and Mrs. Coon are the parents of two children, namely: Clara, wife of R. B. Miller, now living in Burwell, and William W. Coon, residing at Grand Island, Nebraska, with his family. Mrs. Coon died April 1, 1902, deeply mourned by her husband and family, and many kind neighbors and friends. In 1903 our subject was married the second time to Abbie C. Cornell, born and raised in Maine, of English-Scotch descent, a most intelligent and cultured lady. Mr. and Mrs. Coon are active members of the Baptist church, and highly esteemed by the community in which they live. Mr. Coon has never held office, although he takes a commendable interest in local affairs, voting the Independent ticket as his conscience convicts him, for the best man and for the general good of the masses.
C. R. CROFT.
C. R. Croft, of Farmers township, Franklin county, Nebraska, who is one of the progressive farmers of that locality, is a gentleman of firm characteristics whose high standing as a true and worthy citizen is well merited. Mr. Croft operates a fine farm of seven hundred and twenty acres, and engages extensively in stock raising, succeeding in his work along these lines to a marked degree.
Mr. Croft is a native of Iroquois county, Illinois, born in 1880, and is a son of Marshall Croft, who was born in Marshall county, Illinois, now residing in Naponee, Franklin county, Nebraska retired from the active work