who are named as follows: Edith, Vida, Ralph and Edwin, all at home. Mr. Perso was one of a family of nine children, seven of whom are still living, and Mrs. Perso is one of fourteen children, all of whom are living at the present writing.
Mr. Perso is actively awake to the interests of his community, and aids materially in its advancement along commercial and agricultural lines, also taking a keen interest in local and county politics, voting the Democratic ticket. He is a member of the Sidney lodge, Modern Woodmen of America, and with the family, a member of the Methodist church.
Henry Schurmann, one of the younger residents of Brown county, Nebraska, is well known as a progressive farmer and worthy citizen of his locality. He is a native of Kansas, born at Yates Center, November 3, 1881. His father, Rudolph Schurmann, was a prominent farmer in Dodge county, living for many years about a mile and a half east of the town of Scribner, coming to this state from Indiana, where he was born, his father settling there in the early days as an emigrant from Germany and a well known Lutheran minister, also following that calling at times after locating in Indiana. Our subject's mother was born in Germany, coming to America about 1870. She was a lady of most estimable character and charming personality, and her death, which occurred on March 3, 1906, was deeply deplored by her devoted family and a host of friends. Rudolph Schurmann only survived his wife by about one year, when he was also laid to rest.
In 1868 the father of Rudolph Schurmann settled in Iowa county, Iowa, and there the latter grew to manhood, when he was twenty-one leaving his parents' home and emigrating to Scribner, Nebraska. He traveled the entire distance by team with a covered wagon, camping out along the way, the trip taking about ten days, and upon reaching Dodge county immediately homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres, which he proved up on, and later relinquished on eighty acres, retiring from his farming operations in 1896, when he purchased a house in Scribner and made that his home until the time of his death. He was one of the leading citizens of that place, serving as postmaster from 1896 to 1900 under the McKinley regime. After locating there he bought a half interest in a meat market and later secured the entire business, running the establishment for two years then sold out. His wife's health was poor much of the time, and in 1903 they took a trip to Germany, leaving in May of that year and returning in October.
Our subject lived at home until he was fourteen years of age, then worked out on farms in the vicinity for three years, at that time going to Casper, Wyoming, where he was employed on a sheep ranch owned by P. Nicheleyson, remaining for one year, then returned to Brown county. In the spring of 1900 he rented his brother's farm, which lies four and a half miles southwest of Ainsworth, harvested one crop, which he sold to his brother, then came to Scribner on a visit and from here went to Washington and obtained the position of night watchman in a saw mill, and spent about a year there. He returned to Nebraska and worked for Tom Seals on the latter's farm near Ainsworth for about one year, in the spring of 1903 again entering the employ of Squire Jones, helping him trail a herd of three hundred cattle to Pierre, South Dakota, and on the return trip bringing seventy five head of horses with them. In July of the latter year he began working for Joseph Bishop, engaged in farming and was with him until April 1, 1904.
In the spring of 1906, Mr.
Schurmann came to his present location, in section 15, township
29, range 22, which at that time was owned by his wife's mother.
The place contained one hundred and sixty acres, and to this he
has since added another quarter section, and has made a fine farm
of it. He is interested to a large extent in grain raising and
dairying, having a fine herd of cattle, and is making a success of
his undertakings. The place is improved in splendid shape with
good buildings, having a fine house, large barns and all necessary
buildings, including a concrete milk house, barn, house and other
buildings being supplied with running water from two good wells
and windmills, supply tanks, etc. There is a nice grove
surrounding the residence part of the farm, and every convenience,
such as telephone service, mail route, etc. A view of the place
will be found elsewhere in this work.
Mr. Kuhns is a native of Missouri, and came to Nebraska in 1872 with his father, Jerry Kuhns, from Jasper county, Iowa, who took up a tract of land in Fillmore county and began farming and build up a home. The family remained on this farm for some time, and in 1883 our subject moved to Lincoln county and obtained employment as a clerk in one of the stores of North Platte, holding this position for five years. He was industrious and energetic, and kept hard at work, saving his money, and in 1894 he opened up an establishment of his own in Maxwell. His entire capital was three hundred dollars in cash, and although this was not a very large start he began in a small way and gradually increased his stock and by giving the people what they desired and strict honesty in all his dealings, built up a thriving trade n this and neighboring localities. He now has wide patronage, doing a heavy business with the farmers all over Lincoln, Logan and adjoining counties. He now owns the store he occupies, a comfortable modern dwelling house, and other town property, and is one of the prosperous business men of the town, and a worthy citizen. In 1899 he was appointed postmaster at Maxwell under President McKinley, and later re-appointed by President Roosevelt, and has faithfully performed his duties in the discharge of this work. He also takes an active part in all local commerce and has served acceptably the people of his community in acting as treasurer of the Maxwell schools for two terms. He is also a notary public, having held this position for two terms, and has represented his locality on the county central committee.
He was married in 1891 to Miss Minnie Brown, daughter of I. W. Brown, who is a veteran of the Civil war, serving for four years and four months in the Second Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Kuhns, namely: Vernon, Raymond and Martha.
Mr. Kuhns is a stanch Republican.
Mr. Bartley was born on a farm in Boone county, Iowa, August 24, 1868, and has spent all his life in farming. His father, James Bartley, was an American, of Irish descent, and served in a Kansas regiment during the Civil war. He married Rebecca Case, a native of Ohio, and they had a family of five children, our subject being the third member. At the age of fifteen he started out for himself, coming to Holt county, Nebraska, where he worked out for two years. In 1885 he came to Cherry county, working on the Hart ranch, and remained for three years, then went to Montana where he followed ranching for six years. In 1898 he returned to Nebraska and the following year took up his present ranch as a homestead, engaging in horse raising, later adding a herd of cattle. He keeps about seventy-five horses, and seventy-five head of cattle, and has been very successful from the beginning. Mr. Bartley now owns a section of good land, and his mother, who keeps house for him, ahas a claim of four hundred and eighty acres lying south of his ranch, which he farms for her. He is well satisfied with the result of his labors since coming here, and intends to make this his home for the future. His entire time is devoted to the building up of his home and ranch, and although he is interested n local affairs which tend to the development and advancement of his locality, he does not take any active part in public affairs. In political affairs he is a Democrat, and actively interested in the welfare of his party.
Mr. Meyers was born in Fayette county, Iowa, in 1866, on a farm. His father, John Meyers, was born in Pennsylvania and came west, where he was an early settler in Sioux county, locating here in 1886, before the railroad was laid through the section, and he was obliged to freight from Crawford and Chadron. His wife's maiden name was Frances Augerner, born in Austria.
Our subject was raised in Iowa, where he was obliged to help in carrying on the home farm, and when he was about nineteen years of age the family came to eastern Nebraska, locating in Dickson county. He learned
the blacksmith's trade, and has worked at it almost constantly all his life, off and on. Three years were spent in Montrose, Sioux county, Nebraska, where he had a blacksmith shop, and he settled on his present homestead in 1890, still working at his trade, having a shop on his farm, which he has run for about eighteen years. He also worked hard to develop his farm and build u pa good home, and succeeded splendidly, accumulating a fine property, all of which has been gained by his own unaided efforts and strict attention to duty. He has about forty acres under cultivation, raising good crops of small grain, and he keeps quite a good deal of stock. Besides his homestead, Mr. Meyers has a piece of land which he took under the Kincaid act, his home being located on section 15, township 33, range 54.
Our subject came to this region with but eighteen dollars in money and one horse as capital, and from this small beginning he has become one of the well-to-do men of his locality. He has met with some failures, and experienced different hardships in building up his home, one instance of which was in 1894, when he lost his blacksmith shop and all its contents by fire, entailing a loss of several hundred dollars. However, he has rebuilt it, and made many improvements since that time. Mr. Meyers has always taken an active part in the up building of his locality, and his business and social standing is beyond question.
Mr. Lingwall was born in Sweden on May 24, 1849, grew up there and came to America in 1868, at the age of nineteen years. He first settled in Illinois, remained there for about eleven years, then came to eastern Nebraska in 1879, and after farming there for some years struck out for the western part of the state, landing in Cheyenne county finally in 1889, and settling on a school section, located in township 14, range 52. He has since acquired additional land, and his home ranch is now situated in section 2, township 13, range 52. He has put up all good buildings and improvements, and has a fine property and good ranch. His post office is Sidney, which is also his nearest trading point.
Mr. Lingwall was married in Columbus, Nebraska, August 26, 1880, to Anna Prince and they have a family of three children, namely: Peter Olaf, now married and living in Potter; John, living on the home ranch, and Anna still with her parents. The family have a very pleasant home, and enjoy a host of warm friends and are prominent in the affairs of their community. Mr. Lingwall is a Republican.
Mr. Richmond was born in Middletown, Butler county, Ohio, November 25, 1838. His father, Sheldon Richmond, was a wool carder by trade, born in Montpelier, Vermont, and his mother, Elizabeth Currick, a Kentuckian, was born near Covington. There was a family of five children, our subject being the third member. He was reared in this native state, the family moving to Indiana, near Valparaiso, in Porter county, about 1848, and later to LaPorte county, where they were among the pioneer settlers. In 1856 they moved to Sangamon county, Illinois, near Old Berlin. At the breaking out of the Civil ware our subject enlisted in Company I, Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, the first company accepted and sent into service from the state.
He saw service at Chattanooga, Nashville, Vicksburg, Savannah and through the Carolinas, and then went to Washington where his company was color company with the flag wreathed in flowers at the grand review. He Was wounded in battle near Atlanta, being hit with w twelve-pound shell, rendering him unconscious and keeping him in the hospital for a month. A comrade throwing the shell of the breastworks before it burst was all that saved the lives of many men. During the time he served as a soldier he had risen from a private to be captain of the company, and earned the reputation of a brave and faithful leader. He was mustered out at Louisville and discharged at Springfield.
After the ware Mr. Richmond went back to Illinois, and was married December 20, 1866, to Miss Jennie Parker, a native of Sangamon county, Illinois. Three children were born of this union, namely: Lou, wife of George A.
Fairman, a druggist in Ainsworth; John F., in the drug business at Salt Lake, Utah, and Henrietta, deceased. The mother died July 24, 1894. In 1873 the subject came to Nebraska, settling in Saline county, where the family was among the pioneers. There he farmed until 1884, when he came to Brown county for the purpose of engaging in stock raising. Here he settled on a homestead in section 32, township 30, range 24, and built the first frame house south of Johnstown and dug the first well in that vicinity which is kept intact today as it was when first dug, including the buckets twenty-four years old. He now has a ranch of six hundred and forty acres, cultivating one hundred acres of this and the rest is in pasture and grass land. He engages principally in stock raising, and has built up a good home and farm.
Mr. Richmond is prominent in politics, a strong Republican, and always attends the county and state conventions as a delegate for his party. In 1888 he was elected county commissioner and served one term. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, although the charter of the post at Johnstown was surrendered because of lack of membership.
Our subject was born in Sweden, December 7, 1843, lived there until he was a young man twenty-five years of age, then came to American, landing in New York city on July 14, 1868, and coming to Knox county, Illinois, where he lived for fourteen years, working as a coal miner and farmer. From there he moved to Iowa, remained for five years, then came to Nebraska, settling in Deuel county in March, 1887. He immediately filed on a homestead on section 30, township 14, range 43, proved up and succeeded in improving the land in good shape. He later took additional land and now lives on section 26, township 14, range 44, owning the entire west half of the section. He has erected good buildings of all kinds, put up fences, built wells and planted a large number of trees on his ranch, and has one of the best equipped farms and ranches in the vicinity. He has about ninety acres cultivated, and runs quite a bunch of cattle and horses.
Mr. Leef is an old-timer on the table land, being one of the firsts to settle in the locality, and since his arrival here has taken an active part in the development of the community, passing through all the pioneer experiences and hardships that fell to the lot of the early settlers. He went through the hard years when he was hardly able to make a living, but stuck to his farm, and now reaping the reward of his many years of perseverance and faithful effort.
Mr. Leef was married in Sweden in the spring of 1868, shortly before striking out for the new work, taking as his bride Miss Martie Seastrom.
Together they crossed the sea to seek a competence and build up a home.
They have had a family of seventeen children, nine of whom are now living named as follows: Martie Christina, wife of Otto Amberg, they residing on a ranch adjoin our subject's; Amanda, married to William Moon , living in Denver, Colorado; Jennie, now Mrs. Pat Marvin, residing at Julesburg, Colorado; Emma, wife of Charles Frogd, of Julesburg, Colorado; Annie, wife of Swan Friskopp, living in Deuel county; John, single; Eric, married, also living in this county; Ida, single, and Albine, the latter living at home.
Mr. Leef is a stanch Republican, and is deeply interested in local and national affairs.
Charles W. Wright was born in Miami county, Ohio, in 1854, and was the son of William B. and Samantha (Tutt) Wright, the former a native of Kentucky, and the latter of Ohio.
Charles W. Wright remained at home assisting in the work on his father's farm in Miami county, Ohio, until 1878, when he came west to Nebraska, engaging in farming in Nemaha county. In 1883 he came to what is now Loup county, before the village of Taylor was started and even before the organization of Loup county. He located a homestead two miles southwest of where Taylor now stands, put up a sod house and lived alone and "batched" for the first ten years, the nearest railroad town being North Loup, sixty or seventy miles distant. Mr. Wright experienced all the discouragements of pioneer life, but he fought them all
successfully. When he came he had to drive across country from the distant town of Tecumseh, in Johnson county, Nebraska. He well remembers the county seat fights that have vexed the people of Loup county and his participation in the making of that interesting history. The drouth years were years of hardship for the pioneers and Mr. Wright had his trouble with the rest of his neighbors: one year a total failure of crops and several years when the loss was only partial. But his pluck and industry brought him success, as is evidenced by hi finely improved farm of three hundred and twenty acres all thoroughly fenced on all road lines and also with cross fences. Mr. Wright sold out his personal property a few years ago and went to the Pacific coast, but returned to Loup county, saying it was good enough for him.
Charles W. Wright was married in the years 1893 to Miss Lillian Adams, whose father, Henry W. Adams, is an old settler of Loup county. Mr. And Mrs. Wright have three children: Henry, Frank and Cecil, all at school and at home making an interesting family group.
Mr. Lewis received his early training on farms in Illinois, going to Fulton about 1866 where he lived until he was about twenty-six years of age.
In 1875 he came to Iowa, settling in Cass county, in an entirely new country, where he was one of the first of the pioneers. He made his home in Iowa for about eight years, removing thence to Colorado and later to Carbondale, Kansas, where he became salesman for a coal company: after two years, he moved to Keith county, Nebraska, in 1855 and thus became one of Nebraska's pioneers. He built a sod shanty on his wild prairie farm and commenced operations in the primitive way of the pioneer: this proved to be across the line on another tract of land: he moved his dwelling and found himself after a careful survey within a few feet of the line, so he built a third site before he found a permanent abiding place. For six months he "batched it" on his homestead, and was then married to Miss Ella Graham, whose father, James Graham, a native of Pennsylvania, was a farmer and pioneer of Iowa and came to Nebraska with the first settlers: the mother was Lovina McCracken, also a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. have had two children: Mary, now teaching in their home district, and Charles, who assists his father in the work on the ranch. In December, 1908, Mr. Lewis bought four hundred and eighty acres in the daughter's name, comprising the east half of section 27 and the southeast quarter of section 21, township 16, range 41.
Mr. Lewis has worked faithfully
to achieve success and has accomplished things in a masterful way.
He broke forty acres of land in 1886 and tried farming, but owing
to drouth and crop failures he concluded that he could do better
at stock raising. And this has been his policy ever since. He has
a fine ranch of one thousand two hundred and eighty acres along
Clear creek, but he cultivates only about eighty acres of land,
devoting the balance to pasturage and hay. Mr. Lewis has certainly
performed well his hare in the advancement of the community in
which he lives. He has held the office of assessor and overseer
and has been school director for twelve years. In political
sentiment he is Republican.
Mr. Schill was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1866, and raised on his father' s farm there. He is a son of Joseph Schill, a native of Germany. His mother, who was Miss Margaret Martin, is a native of Canada, of German descent. When our subject was eighteen years of age he came to the United States and struck out for the west, stopping in Indiana, where he spent two years engaged in farming. He drifted along farther west, and in 1886 landed in this county, putting in the next few years railroading through the western part of the state. During one summer he worked on a railroad in Colorado, and then took a homestead in section 29, township 28, range 46, in Sheridan county, living on this through the winter and working out on ranches during the summer months. In 1890 he started in farming for himself, raised a fair crop, also got a good crop ad the following years, remained here up to 1896, when he left the farm and came to the sand hills.
By this time and brother had gotten together about eighty head of stock, having purchased them in
the fall of 1895, and they tried farming and stock raising. In this venture he met with fair success. He then settled in the sand hills permanently, and since locating here has devoted his entire attention to stock raising, keeping both cattle and horses, running altogether about four hundred and fifty head. He does most of the work on the ranch himself, but is obliged to hire men during haying time to assist him in putting this up. He is doing well, and is satisfied with the locality, intending to remain there until he has more money than he needs and is not obliged to work. He has plenty of hay and grazing land for his stock here, and leases a portion of his range land.
Mr. Schill was married in 1902 to Miss Nann Blair, a native of Illinois, born in 1881, daughter of David Blair, who came to Illinois from Pennsylvania in 1866, and later settled in eastern Nebraska, coming to this county in 1892. The post office in Mr. Schill's locality is name after him.
He is not a party man and does not take any active part in political affairs, but votes for the best man.
Mr. Wunder has always lived with his father and assisted in the operation of the latters's extensive estate, and has, since the death of Mr. Wunder, Sr., on July 17, 1902, assumed entire control of his property, which he has managed to the best advantage, and is rapidly coming to the front as one of the foremost residents of his county. He lives on his Kincaid homestead and manages his father's estate on section 11, township 33, range 54.
Paul Wunder was born in Illinois in 1875. His father, Andrew, was a native of Germany, grew up and was married there in 1865 to Miss Barbara Wunder, who is now seventy years of age and quite active. They raised a family of six children, as follows: Maggie, Kate, Peter, Paul, Frank and Henry, and also Kate and Peter, both deceased. After they had been married three years Mr. and Mrs. Wunder came to America, settling in Illinois, where the father followed farming for about nine years, then moved to Iowa and farmed there for eight years, Paul growing up in that state. They next came to Platte county, Nebraska, and farmed for two years, and in 1888 landed in Sioux county, settling on what is now their home ranch. Here they built a small log house and occupied it for many years, going through all the pioneer experiences in developing their farm, meeting with many discouragements and failure in getting started. They saw many hard times, losing crops, then gave up trying to farm and began in the cattle business, which has proven very successful. The ranch now contains twelve hundred and forty acres, all fenced and cross-fenced, and with good buildings and improvements. There are about fifty acres under cultivation, on which good crops are raised.
When Mr. Wunder first located here he landed at Harrison, coming over the Chicago & Northwestern railroad, and settled here at once, where he commenced to improve his claim. Mr. Wunder is a strong Democrat in his political views.
Mr. Waltz is a native of Harrison county, Missouri, born in 1857. His father, William Waltz, was a farmer and old settler in Dawes county, coming here in 1885. He was born in Germany, and was married in Ohio to Susan Swan, of American blood, born in Ohio. Our subject was reared in Missouri, where he helped his parents in the farm work and attended the country schools during his boyhood, and in 1885 came to this country by team from Valentine, and after he had been here for six months was joined by his father. He had camped out at night during this time, and many nights slept through severe snow storms. He located on section 9, township 33, range 48, near Chadron. The family in a tent a first, and put up the best log house in his region, of commodious size--eighteen by twenty feet and one and a half story high. This house is still in good condition and it is the intention of Mr. Waltz to preserve it as a reminder of the early days he spent here.
He built up a good home and farm, owning twelve hundred and eighty acres n all, and has thirty acres of irrigated land. He moved to his farm in section 15 in 1900, and has good building and all improvements, and everything in good shape. His house is fitted with every modern convenience, with the water piped through the place. He has been engaged in the
ice business for some years past, and made a great success of it. His farm extends along the Bordeaux creek for about a mile, and three quarters of a mile on Pope creek, so he has plenty of water front to supply ice for his business. He has built up a nice property, but has also been through many hard times, and now deserves the success which he has attained. In the fall of 1891 he was burned out, losing his barn, grain, horses and machinery, which was a severe loss to him at that time. On May 26, 1908, Mr. Waltz had a severe wind storm which blew his barn down and also his ice house, but he has erected fine ones in their stead. He is a hard man to down and never gives up.
Mr. Waltz was married in the fall of 1885, to Miss Ida Brown, daughter of Austin Brown, an old timer in California and Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Have three children, namely: Renny and Ralph, twins: and Harvey, the former being the first pair of twins born in Dawes county. Mr. Waltz has given his children every advantage and they are all well educated.
Although Mr. Waltz is a stanch Democrat he has never had the time to devote to public matters, but lends his influence to the building up of his home community and giving his whole energy to the work of carrying on his farm and home.
Mr. Jenik was born in Bohemia, May 3, 1865, and came to America when ten years of age, with his parents. The family settled in Washington county, Kansas, remained for quite a number of years, and he helped his father build up a good home in that state. In 1887 he came to Cheyenne county, Nebraska, locating on a homestead in section 6, township 13, range 47, and after several years sold out that place and purchased his present farm in section 14, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres. He has since added to this, and is now proprietor of eight hundred acres in all, of which he cultivates about seventy acres, and runs about fifty head of cattle and ten horses. He has erected good buildings of all descriptions on his ranch, has it all fenced, and is doing splendidly in his grain and stock raising operations.
Mr. Jenik was married to Miss Annie Koles, on April 19, 1892, in Cheyenne county. Mrs. Jenik was born in Marshall county, Kansas, the 23rd day of August, 1872, and came to Cheyenne county the same year she married our subject. Her mother is still living in Kansas, and the father is dead. Mr. Jenik's father and mother still live on the home ranch on section 12. To Mr. and Mrs. Jenik have been born the following children; Annie, Victoria, John and Angeline Odessa, all at home, and they are a charming and interesting group.
Mr. Jenik is a Republican politically, and takes an active part in all local public affairs. He has served as road overseer in district No. 2, and is school director of district No. 144.
Mr. Hyde is also a carpenter by trade, and has worked in this line all over the county. Mr. Hyde was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, in 1831.
His father, Joseph Hyde, of English descent, was born in Connecticut, and all his life followed farm work, and he married Miss Amanda Jinks, also a native of Connecticut. They had a family of six children, our subject being the fifth in order of birth, and at the age of mine years he started to make his own way in the world, obtaining employment as a sailor on the lake boats and continuing at this business for six years, then worked on the canal for three years. He learned the carpenter's trade in Erie, Pennsylvania, when he was eighteen, and from that time on almost constantly followed that work.
He has followed his trade in thirteen states in the Union, and is a thorough master of his business. He moved from Pennsylvania to Indiana, then to Wisconsin, where he enlisted in 1863 in Company F, First Wisconsin Cavalry, serving for a year and a half. At the close of the war he located in Iowa and worked as a carpenter, next went to Washington where he spent a year and a half, then returned to Iowa.
In 1883 he came to Keya Paha county, settling on section 8, township 32, range 22, and has made that his home ever since. The second year he lived on the place he planted a fine grove of trees around his home, carrying some of them from the river. The place is now well timbered with young growing trees. He has a few orchard trees, most of which are small fruit. He has lived through some of the hardest
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Chris Geis, Ted & Carole Miller