occupies this farm. Here he has built up a fine home and ranch,
having recently erected a large two-story, eight-room residence,
which is tastefully furnished far beyond the average farm or ranch
house in any of the western states. The barn and outbuildings are
partly of stone and all are substantial and commodious. A view of
the home and surroundings is to be found on another page.
Mr. Webster's father, Daniel Webster, is now dead, while his mother, who was Orpha Northrup in maidenhood, resides in Connecticut. Four of the five children in the family are living and of these Milo is second in order of birth. On February 14, 1907, Mr. Webster was married in Coulton precinct to Gertrude Witters, who was born in Indiana. Her father, S. P. Witters, of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this work, came to Cheyenne county with his family in 1886.
One child, Clifford D., has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Webster. They worship with the Center congregation of the Methodist church in Davison precinct. Mr. Webster is active in local affairs, being a leading politician in state, county and national matters, voting an independent ticket. He affiliates with Sidney Camp, No. 1091, Modern Woodmen of America.
WM. SHATTUCK, JR.
Keya Paha county has no more enterprising or worthy citizen within her border than the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this sketch. While he is a young man and not numbered among the real old-timers in the region, Mr. Shattuck has spent quite a number of year here, during which time he has acquired an extensive acquaintance and is esteemed and respected by his fellowmen.
Mr. Shattuck was born in Illinois, in 1879. His father, Wm. Shattuck, Sr., was owner of a good farm in that state. He was a native Massachusetts, of American stock, and married Lucy Barney, also of the same birth and state, and they reared a family of three children, our subject being the second child. He lived at home until he was twenty-one, then started out for himself, following farm work in Boyd county, Nebraska, where he had located in 1895. He spent about seven years in that vicinity, then came to Keya Paha county and took up a homestead on section 24, township 35, range 18, put up a dwelling and proved up on the claim. He improved it in good shape and still makes it his home ranch, having nine acres under cultivation, and engages in mixed farming and stock raising.
Mr. Shattuck is owner of a very fine registered French draught horse which is valued at one thousand five hundred dollars. He has had wide experience a first-class judge of horses, having owned some very good animals since living in the region.
Mr. Shattuck was married in March, 1900, to Plausa Stoss, who is of Belgian stock, born in Omaha in 1879. They have two children, Ralph and Lucy. They occupy a comfortable home and our subject is classed among the leading young men of his locality, and considering the comparatively short time he has occupied his farm, has done exceedingly well. He is progressive and up-to-date in his methods of farming, and his success speaks well for his thrift and good business ability.
Politically Mr. Shattuck is a Republican but he has never taken an active part in politics, preferring to devote his entire time to building up of his home and farm.
CHARLES C. NELSON.
Charles C. Nelson, classed among the prosperous and leading ranchmen of Morrill, formerly Cheyenne county, Nebraska, is the owner of a fine estate comprising of thousand three hundred and forty acres, situated on sections 29 and 30, township 19, range 51, and in addition to this property has three hundred and twenty acres on Cedar creek, both of which are "under ditch".
Mr. Nelson is a genuine oldtime stockman and cattle rancher, during a large part of his career following the range and becoming familiar with every phase of life on the western plains. His pleasant home in Camp Clarke precinct bespeaks the most painstaking care and good management in its operation.
Mr. Nelson was born in Windsor, Missouri, July 17, 1852, his parents having moved to Henry county, that state, in the forties. His father, James A Nelson, was a native of Richmond, Virginia. The mother, Margarett A.
(Trinnier), was also a native of Virginia and died in Nebraska. Both parents were descendants of Irish stock. Charles Nelson, an only child, lived in Missouri until 1870, when he went to Texas, where for nine years he was engaged in the stock business, riding the range on ranches in that state. He then came to Nebraska, settling in Cheyenne county and was employed by Tussler Bros., on the old Merchant & Wheeler ranch, acting as foreman for that concern, he finally purchasing the property in 1894, and operated it up to 1906, when he sold it. The ranch contained eight thousand two hundred and forty acres and was stocked with three hundred horses and six hundred head of cattle. When he first came to Nebraska he had no capital and started out on hundred dollars in debt at the beginning of his career. He took a homestead on Greenwood creek, proved up on it, and sold. At one time he was engaged in the liquor business at Bridgeport, but soon sold out and devotes his entire time to his ranching interests. The greater part of his land is devoted to hay, with two hundred acres of alfalfa. During his residence n this region he has met with some hard luck, but despite various drawbacks has managed to accumulate a nice property, and is now in good circumstances and enjoys a comfortable home with peace and plenty.
Mr. Nelson married Miss Alice Clarke in Windsor, Missouri, in 1874. Mrs. Nelson was a native of Virginia, and after ten years of happy married life she died leaving two daughters, Fredonia, wife of J. H. Clauges, mother of four children, now living in Bridgeport. The second daughter, Margaret, is the wife of Albert Cudy, living in Scotts Bluff. Mr. Nelson was married to Miss Lillian B. Franklin, of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in April, 1908.
Mr. Nelson was active in local affairs, and is without question one of the leading ranchmen and representative men of Cheyenne county. He is a Republican in politics and a member of Frank Welch Lodge, No 75, Ancient Free and Accepted Mason, of Sidney.
We present a view of Mr.
Nelson's residence of another page.
F. N. PHILLIPS.
F. N. Phillips is the fortunate owner of a beautifully located farm know throughout the region as "Park Valley." This place is situated in the shadow of Lookout Mountain in a charming narrow valley covered with many lovely trees and supplied with sparkling springs of clear water. The farm lands rise gradually to the second table and are very fertile, and altogether this farm is one of the most attractive spots it is possible to imagine and delights the eye of the chance traveler by its beautiful views.
Mr. Phillips is a native of Illinois. His father, E. P. Phillips, was a pioneer in Lake county, in this state, and later spent quite a number of years in Iowa, following farming nearly all of the time. While living in Illinois he was active in local affairs, acting for fourteen years as justice of the peace and holding various local offices. He is a veteran of the Civil war, having enlisted and serving until the close of the struggle. After returning to Illinois he only remained a short time, then moved to Linn county, Iowa, where he farmed a few months, coming to Nebraska with his family in 1867 and settling in Tecumseh county*, where our subject was raised and educated. In 1872 Mr. Phillips came to Franklin township, in Franklin county, settling on a tract of railroad land, and engaged in stock raising and farming. He afterward spent some time in the eastern part of the state, returning to this section in 1898 and purchased two hundred and forty acres, to which he has added many improvements and also bought additional land adjoining his original tract. He now has four hundred acres under cultivation and has considerable hay and pasture land. He has a fine herd of Shorthorns, having a number of registered cows and standard bred bull from which he expects to raise some very fine stock. The farm is well equipped with good buildings and every convenience for the handling of his different enterprises, and he is considered one of the prosperous and up-to-date agriculturists and stockmen in the county.
Mr. Phillips was married to Miss Angelina Douglas, daughter of Sanford A. Douglas, of New York state, the latter a native of Vermont, and a prominent pioneer in that state. Our subject is the father of two sons, Walter and Carl, both now grown and living on the home farm.
Politically, Mr. Phillips is a Republican. He has always been prominent in local affairs, serving for a number of years as justice of the peace in this county, also as township assessor and holding other local offices of trust.
* Tecumseh is in Johnson County, NE.
SETH R. BATES, DECEASED
The gentleman above named, now deceased, was for many years in prominent citizen of Brown county, where he owned a valuable es-
state and was highly esteemed by all who knew him.
Mr. Bates was born in 1845, in New York state. He was of Yankee stock, his parents being farmers in New England, and he was raised and educated on a farm, living at home until he was thirteen years of age, then came with his parents to Illinois and after a few years spent in that state, coming to Nebraska and locating in Plattsmouth, arriving here shortly after the close of the war. Shortly afterwards Seth left home and started for himself, locating in Cass county, remaining there but a few months, then moved to Seward county. He was married there, in 1872, to Miss Martha Rickard, whose parents were of American stock, raised in New York state. To our subject were born nine children, six of whom are now living, named as follows: Ada, Bert, Dudley, Leed, May and Lloyd, all of whom are now grown and filling honorable positions in life.
Mr. Bates came to Rock county with his family 1880, settling on the Niorbrara river on a homestead. They traveled to their new home by team in a covered wagon, and upon landing here built a sod shanty in which they lived for several seasons, then built a house of logs and used this as a dwelling for many years. All household supplies had to be hauled from Oakdale, and during these tedious trips Mr. Bates was obliged to camp out by night under his wagon. They saw many hard times during these years, witnessing the drouths and unable to raise scarcely any crops, one year also having their entire season's planting hailed out. The country was very thinly settled, their nearest neighbor living three miles from the their homestead. Mr. Bates had very little capital when he landed here, but through sheer persistence and energy he succeeded in building up a good home and accumulated a property consisting of two hundred acres of good farming and lying along the Niobrara river, on which he put good improvements, including a fine orchard and every comfort and convenience of rural life.
He settled on Pine creek in 1901, purchasing a tract of one hundred and sixty acres. This place he put in first-class shape, and was getting along nicely, when the father was taken ill and died in December, 1905. Since his death Mrs. Bates has occupied the homestead and carried on the farm, assisted by her sons.
Mr. Bates was a man of exemplary habits, industrious and a good friend and neighbor, and his loss deeply felt by all who knew him. He was always active in promoting the general welfare of his community, and he will long be remembered in the hearts of the old timers of the region.
F. A. ROWAN.
Among the successful and well-known citizens of Cheyenne county, Nebraska, who has made that region his home for the past twenty years, we mention the name of F.A. Rowan, residing on section 30, township 16, range 48.
Mr. Rowan was born in Butler county, Ohio, on September 5, 1862. At the age of four years he went to Illinois with his parents, settling in Woodford county, and there he grew to manhood, receiving a common school education, and helping his father carry on the home farm. The father still makes Illinois his home, now residing at Eureka, while the mother died a number of years ago.
In the spring of 1887 Mr. Rowan came into Cheyenne county, Nebraska. He at once filed on a homestead, taking the land as a timber claim, and now occupies the tract as the home ranch. He has succeeded in building up a fine farm, has erected good buildings of all kinds, and his ranch is one of the best equipped in the locality. It is situated on the "table", and here he planted a fine grove of trees and has every convenience of modern farming in the way of machinery, etc. The place contains in all about nine hundred acres of deeded land, and besides this he has one section of leased school land which he operates in connection with his own ranch. About one hundred and sixty acres are under cultivation, and he has a large portion in pasture and had land for about one hundred and fifty head of cattle and a bunch of horses.
Mr. Rowan was married in Cheyenne county, on February 1, 1893, to Miss Lottie J. Ravert, who is also a native of Ohio. Her parents were early settlers in Cheyenne county, coming here in 1887, where the father improved a homestead, he dying here some sixteen years ago. Mrs. Ravert is still living on her fine farm of four hundred and eighty acres, which was taken as a Kincaid claim. She is the mother of three children, Lottie, wife of our subject, William Lee, who is owner of a Kincaid homestead of six hundred and forty acres in section 7, township 17, range 48, this county, and Charles Neal Ravert, also a homesteader near Dalton.
Mr. Rowan has a family of five children, named as follows: Harold, Edna, Marjorie, Neal and Arthur, all living at home.
Mr. Rowan has taken an important part in the up building of the region since he has lived
here, helping establish the schools, and lending his influence in every instance to promote the welfare of the settlers. During the years 1897-1902 he held the office of county commissioner in the county, and has always been considered one of the foremost old timers of the region. He is an Independent in politics.
BURCH L. HARTUNG
Burch L. Hartung, classed among the successful young agriculturists of Rock county, Nebraska, has acquired a valuable estate located near the town of Bassett, and is widely and favorably known throughout the locality as an industrious and thrifty citizen.
Mr. Hartung was born in Iowa in 1871, and is a son of George W. Hartung, the latter of German descent, a native of Pennsylvania, who came west when a young man, settling in the western part of Nebraska, where he has resided for the past thirty years and more. Here is has gone through every form of frontier life, witnessing grasshopper raids, drouths and other conditions which made it so hard for the pioneers in the vicinity. He traveled all through the region long before the railroads were put through, making long journeys on horseback and in prairie schooners. He married Miss Laura Applegate, who is of good old Yankee stock, and their entire married life has been spent in Cuming and Rock counties, where our subject was raised and educated. The Hartungs have made Bassett their home for about six years, finally locating on section 30, township 31, range 19, putting up a set of farm buildings, and there went through pioneer experiences.
Burch Hartung started out for himself as a boy, working on the ranches in the vicinity of his father's homestead and later in Keya Paha county, becoming thoroughly familiar with the country in this part of the state. He has been all through the region on horseback, roughing it summer and winter, and is acquainted with nearly all the old settlers n the country. Several years ago he took a homestead on section 25, township 31, range 20, and has since added to this, now owning in all three hundred and twenty acres, which he has improved in good shape, having a good set of farm buildings, fences, and many conveniences of modern farming, engaged in grain raising, also keeping quite a bunch of stock.
Mr. Hartung is a younger man of energetic habits, endowed with good business ability, and is classed among the representative Nebraska stockmen and farmers.
The gentleman above named is one of the leading farmers and stockmen of Cheyenne county, where he has spent the past twenty years, and during that time has succeeded in accumulating a nice property by dint of hard work and faithful attention to details in his operations. He is a man of sterling characteristics, and has an enviable reputaion as a worthy citizen and good neighbor.
Mr. Namuth was born in Brunswick, Germany, September 3, 1871, and grew up there, receiving the education usual to the youths of his native land. Both parents died there a few years ago. When August was but sixteen years of age he left home and struck out for America, coming directly to Nebraska.
He worked on farms and ranches in Cheyenne county for a number of years, being among the early settlers of the region, and has passed through all the experiences here, witnessing the drouth years, seeing crops and other property destroyed by the severe storms, encountering the dangers of Indian wars, etc. During those years he file on homestead rights and after relinquished the same when he had put them in good condition. About seven years he has spent in Colorado, living there at different times, but always returning to Nebraska, finally settling here permanently, taking a Kincaid homestead on section 8, township 12, range 47, I July, 1907. This was in fair condition, and during the short time he has lived on the property has added many improvements, having good buildings, and about one hundred and twenty acres under cultivation. He has about one hundred head of stock at present, and raises considerable grain for market, which brings him in altogether a very snug income.
Mr. Namuth was married on September 25, 1900, to Katie Sukovaty, who was born in Bohemia in 1876 and came to this country with her parents when a child of seven, they now living in Cheyenne county, also, and own a good farm.
Mr. Namuth is an Independent in politics and takes a commendable interest in all local matters of interest to his community.
S. P. JAMISON
S. P. Jamison, who through his long residence in Keya Paha county, and his wide experience in farming, having opened up six homestead in this region, all of which were utterly unimproved land when he settle on
them, has become thoroughly conversant with the topography and development of this part of Nebraska. He is one of the leading citizens of his community, and has acquired a nice property by industry and good management, supplemented by honesty and integrity. He now resides in the town of Jamison.
Mr. Jamison was born in Atchison, Missouri, in 1861. When he was but one year old his parents moved to Nebraska City, making that their home for ten years, then went into Gage county and settled on a homestead, and there our subject was raised and educated. His father, Thomas B. Jamison, of Scotch origin, born in America, followed farming all his life, he now residing in Oklahoma. He married Sarah E. Hackler, who was of German descent, also born in America, died in Oklahoma March 6, 1906. There were five children in the family, our subject being the second in order of birth. One brother is now a practicing physician in San Francisco and one brother lives near his father's home in Oklahoma.
When our subject was of age he started for himself, engaging in farming and stock raising in Holt county, and there carried on the work successfully for eight years, then moved to Butte, Boyd county, Nebraska. At the time of their settlement in Butte, Mrs. Jamison was the first white woman in the town, as this was almost entirely an Indian settlement. Mr. Jamison bought a tract of land near the town, but devoted most of his time to politics. He was one of the organizers of Boyd county, drafted the bill which was presented to the legislature and was the first sheriff elected in the county. He remained in the county up to 1903, taking an active part in its growth and development, then sold out his interests there and came to Keya Paha county, and soon after surveyed and located the town which bears his name. In partnership with two other men he owns the town site consisting of forty acres, also owns a homestead in Gregory county, South Dakota. At Jamison he is proprietor of a general store, carrying a four thousand dollar stock of merchandise, and enjoys a good trade from the surrounding country.
During his early residence in Nebraska Mr. Jamison saw some very hard times, at one time being obliged to burn hay to keep from freezing, as he was unable to get any other fuel. Often he became thoroughly discouraged, although he never felt inclined to give up, the difficulties which he passed through making him the more determined to succeed, which he has certainly done. During his career as a farmer and stockman he fed and shipped in one year seventy-six head of steers which brought his (sic) just one hundred dollars per head the market. He has always been classed among the leading pioneers of the state, coming here as he did when a child and growing up with the country, and is now one of the wealthiest men of Keya Paha county. Since leaving Boyd county he has not taken an active part in politics, devoting all his time and attention to his different business enterprises. He votes a straight Democratic ticket and has always been a staunch supporter of his party.
In 1879 our subject married Miss Maggie B. Shirk, who was born and raised in Pennsylvania, and they are the parents of the following children; Orville J., Gracie Ellen, Della M. and Sarah, all of whom are married and settled in homes of their own excepting the last mentioned, who lives at home.
Henry Hummels, of Macon township, Franklin county, is a prosperous and widely known real estate dealer of that part of Nebraska. He also handles insurance, loans, etc. and has wide reputation as a public auctioneer, officiating at nearly every large sale of live stock in the region, his services being in demand at every important sale held.
Mr. Hummels was born in Illinois. His father, Harmon Hummels, was a farmer in Menard county there, and came to Petersburg, Nebraska, in 1885, settling on a farm in Macon township, and on this homestead our subject has spent the greater part of his career, although he started in the real estate business at Hildreth n 1899 and has given the past ten years almost exclusively to his land deals. He advertises extensively n the Chicago and local newspapers, and lived in Hildreth for five years doing a nice business, then moved to Macon and since locating in the latter place has sold more of the land in this and adjoining counties, including Furnas, Redwillow and Frontier counties, than any agent in this section of the state. Besides Nebraska lands Mr. Hummels handles farm property in all of the different western states from Illinois to Colorado, making a specialty of settling homesteaders, and in this manner has been instrumental in bring many settlers here from the east who have improved many fine farms and helped build up the locality.
In the insurance line Mr. Hummels represents some of the best old line companies, insuring against fire, lightning, and accidents, and possibly writes more policies than any other agent in the country.
Mr. Hummels is enthusiastic about the future of Nebraska, and declares that people who buy land here now will be able to double their investments in the next year or two. At the present time he has over forty thousand acres of picked land on his list for sale in this vicinity, and also has considerable land in South Dakota. He is a thorough business man and convincing talker and through honesty of purpose has gained the confidence of all with whom he has any dealings by his straightforward principles. Mr. Hummels is a well-to-do man, and has accumulated his property through his persistence and strict integrity of word and deed.
In political faith our subject is a Republican. He has taken a leading part in local affairs tending to promote the best interests of his community, and well deserved the success which has come to him as a reward of is many years of labor. Mr. Hummels is a member of the local lodge of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
HENRY W. LOGAN.
For nearly a quarter of a century the gentleman above named has been identified with the history of the growth and development of western Nebraska, and his present prosperous condition evidences his earnest labors during these years. He now resides in the town of Norden, Keya Paha county, where he is engaged in the banking business and is regarded as one of the leading citizens and enjoys the confidence of all with whom he has to do.
Mr. Logan was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, in 1847. His father, John, was of Irish blood, American born, and a farmer by occupation. He married Maria Wheeler, who was of old American stock. They were the parents of twelve children, of whom our subject was the fifth member, and all were raised in the country, receiving common school educations. Henry started for himself when but a boy, following farm work, and became owner of a seventy-five acre farm, located three miles from his parents' home, and engaged in sheep raising principally. He was very successful and continued on the place up to 1887, then sold out and came to Nebraska. Upon arriving in this state he located in Springview and established one of the first business enterprises in the section, carrying a stock of general goods, and operated his store for six years, during that time doing a nice business.
He sold out his store, although he still owns a fine residence property there. In 1899 Mr. Logan came to Norden and purchased the banking business of M. P. Meholin, the latter having established the business in 1887, which at that time was the first bank in that end of Keya Paha county, and during the years 1892 to 1901 inclusive, was the only banking institution in the entire county. Here our subject has built up a large and successful business, doing a general banking business, drawing his patronage from many miles around the town of Norden. He is a thorough business man, conservative and conscientious, and stands very high in the estimation of his fellowmen, and is considered an authority on all matters of business and pertaining to the good of the community.
In 1882 Mr. Logan was married to Miss Mary L. Wolf, daughter of Thomas Wolf, who was a Quaker, and Emily Carter also of Quaker stock. Mr. and Mrs. Logan have a family of four children, namely: Charles, who is employed in his father's bank, Edna, now attending school at the Fremont Normal College, Clarence and Ernest, at home. One daughter, Emma, is deceased.
Mr. Logan was elected treasurer of Keya Paha county in 1893, serving in that capacity for two terms. He has always taken an active part in politics, and is an ardent supporter of the Democratic party.
W. I. HIETT.
W. I. Heitt, a prosperous and well known citizen of Sidney, Nebraska, is owner of a valuable estate on section 30, township 13, range 49, which he has put into fine shape and is now one of the best improved n the locality. He is a man of keen business perception, well informed on every subject of county and state importance, and takes a leading part in all matters of benefit to his community.
Mr. Hiett was born in Hampshire, Virginia, May 21, 1847. His father, James S. Hiett, was of Scotch descent and an old settler in that portion of Virginia. Our subject grew up in his native state, coming west in 1883 and settling in York county, Nebraska, farming there up to 1892, then removed to Cheyenne county. Here he filed on a homestead, which he still occupies, having added considerable to his acreage since then, owning in all at the present time three hundred and twenty acres. During the drouth seasons a number of his close neighbors were driven to abandon their homes on account of the hard times, and while Mr. Hiett also experienced some difficulty, he managed to stick to his farm and made a living, although he had several crop failures. He
now cultivates eighty acres and keeps the balance for pasture and hay land, although the entire place is splendid farming land. He engaged in stock raising to quite an extent, running about fifty head all the time.
Mr. Hiett was married on December 13, 1874, to Dora Wilson, daughter of D. W. and Anna Wilson, old settlers in Illinois, where Mrs. Hiett was born and reared. Mr. and Mrs. Hiett have a family of four children, who are named as follows: Myrtle A., now a teacher in the public schools of Sidney, E. E. Hiett, who lives on a farm adjoining his father's, having a three hundred and twenty-acre farm; Estelle Verne and Herman Logan, the two last mentioned living at home and assisting in carrying on the farm.
Mr. Hiett is man of superior attainments of mind, having a good education and one who has wide knowledge of affairs, having been an inveterate, and has for many years past handled numerous publication and standard works. He was a soldier in the Civil war, enlisting in the Fifteenth West Virginia as private in 1864, and after seeing service in different states, was discharged from the army on August 16, 1865.
In political views Mr. Hiett is a staunch Republican and takes a deep interest in county and national politics.
SANFORD Q. SPAIN.
Sanford Q. Spain, classed among the prosperous and successful business men of Simeon, Cherry county, is also one of the very oldest settlers in that region. When he first came here his nearest neighbor was one and a half miles away and the second nearest a distance of twelve miles from his homestead. He has passed through all the old Nebraska times, and by dint of industry and economy has managed to acquire a valuable property, and enjoys a comfortable home and pleasant surroundings, besides an enviable reputation as a worthy citizen and good neighbor.
Mr. Spain was born in Ohio in 1850. His father was a merchant in a small village there, and he raised a family of six children, our subject being the third in order of birth. When the latter was a small boy the family moved to Iowa, and at the early age of thirteen years Sanford left home and enlisted in the army serving in Company I, Ninth Iowa Cavalry. He was with his regiment on marches through Arkansas, Texas and Missouri, participating in different engagements, and saw every side of a soldier's life. He remained in the service until the close of the war, then returned to Iowa and made that his home up to the fall of 1881. At that time he came to Polk county, Nebraska, settling in Osceola, and there engaged in the bakery business, carrying this on for five years. He next moved to Cherry county, filing homestead rights on a quarter section situated on Snake river, starting as most of the pioneer settlers did, with very little capital, erecting a sod shanty in which he lived with his family for a number of years, then built a log house. His first team was a pair of oxen which he used for all kinds of work, and despite many hardships and unfavorable conditions, succeeded in improving his place in good shape. He witnessed the drouth periods when he had hard work to raise any kind of crop, also suffered from prairie fires which swept the region and at different times threatened the destruction of his farm buildings and other property. Many times he was obliged to fight these destroying fires night and day in order to save himself serious losses.
In 1890 Mr. Spain moved to Kennedy and there engaged in the stock business, continuing in this line of work up to 1905, when he settled in Simeon and opened a store, carrying a good line of general merchandise. He was also appointed postmaster of the town and has held this position during the past three years. He is considered one of the representative citizens of his locality, taking an active part in all matters pertaining to the best interests of the town, has held various offices of trust and served as justice of the peace for a number of years. He is now acting as school director. In political circles he stands very high, and has attended numerous conventions, acting as committeeman for several years. He is a Republican.
Mr. Spain was married in 1870, to Miss Mary Morgan, daughter of U. S. and Harriet Fry Morgan, who were for many years prominent farmers in Iowa, where Mrs. Spain was reared. Mr. and Mrs. Spain are the parents of the following named children: Rose, married and living at Spearfish, South Dakota: Grant, Nellie and Clement, all living in Valentine, Nebraska; Bessie, married and residing at Edgemont, South Dakota, while Nettie, Charles and Mary are still at home.
DAVID M. HUSTON.
David M. Huston, of Antelope township, Harlan county, is owner of a good farm in section 17, which consists of a homestead and tree claim comprising three hundred and twen-