LARGE MONUMENT, AURORA, NEBRASKA.
of the bluff on the west side of Ash Hollow and near its mouth. The site of the grave is now within the Lewellen Cemetery.
14. An ornamental fence inclosing the grave of Susan B. Hale, who died June, 1852, by drinking water from a well poisoned by Indians.
15. Two base stones, established in 1869 by U. S. Coast Survey to mark a true meridian, designated by copper points, in front of old territorial capitol, on Capitol Hill, Omaha, now the site of the Omaha High School building.
16. In the year 1906 a white bronze monument twenty-five feet high with a base seven and a half feet square was erected, as a memorial to union soldiers, in Memorial Park in the Courthouse square, Aurora. This monument cost $3,000, including freight and setting up, of which $1,500 was donated by Hamilton county, $750 by the city of Aurora, and $750 was obtained by general subscription. The project was started by the Logan Circle Ladies of the G. A. R. and carried to completion by General Delevan Bates.
17. Another monument, eight feet high, with a pedestal three feet and six inches in height, stands in the same park. It was presented by General Delevan Bates at a cost of $500.
There are in the park also two Parrott guns which were presented by the War Department. They are mounted on concrete pedestals.
An iron flagstaff surmounted by a gilt ball stands in the center of the park which is surrounded by a concrete walk and is located at the southwest corner of the court house within the public square.
18. A soldiers monument is being erected at Kear-
ney by the city. Description, cost, etc., with photograph to be furnished later.
19. Milford soldiers monument, a soldier, life size, at parade rest. Photograph and description to be furnished by General Culver.
20. A soldiers monument being built at Sutton. Base already in position. When completed, description and photograph will be furnished by R. A. Pauley, George E. Mead Post 19.
On account of lack of funds the Society has not erected any marker or monuments and would have to depend on local interest and pride to provide the necessary expense. Nearly 200 letters have been written, but a majority of them have failed to bring responses; yet much valuable information has been received.
Chairman of Committee on Historic Sites.
The concluding session of the meeting was held at the First Christian church at 7:45 P. M., January 19, with President John Lee Webster in the chair. An address by Dr. Benjamin F. Shambaugh, of Iowa City, "The Mississippi Valley as a Field for Historical Research," was omitted owing to the fact that Dr. Shambaugh had been detained at home by illness.
The address by Eugene F. Ware on The Indian Campaigns of 1864 was reported by the stenographer and sent to General Ware for revision but, his illness and death following soon after, the manuscript was not returned. The address was an epitome of "The Indian War of 1864," published in the year 1911.
SMALLER MONUMENT, AURORA, NEBRASKA.
NEB., Jan. 13, 1910.
The special meeting was called to order
at five o'clock by the president.
board an informal proposition, which had been received from General Eugene F. Ware, of Kansas City, Kansas, for the publication of a manuscript on "The Indian Campaign of 1864."
After some informal discussion, Mr. Geisthardt moved that the secretary be directed to convey to General Ware the assurance that the board fully appreciates the very generous offer made, and requests that the manuscript be submitted for further consideration; further, that the president appoint a committee to examine the manuscript of General Ware and report to the board, through the president, on the advisability of undertaking its publication. This motion was seconded and carried.
The president appointed Mr. Albert Watkins, historian of the Society, to examine the manuscript in question.
The board then gave preliminary consideration to the matter of employees and salaries for the fiscal year, beginning April 1, 1910. The secretary recommended a reduction in the number of employees, and urged that by so doing a sufficient amount of money might be saved to complete the third volume of the proceedings of the constitutional conventions, and to publish a miscellaneous volume of proceedings and collections.
Chancellor Avery suggested that the governor had requested that no definite action be taken with reference to salaries until he could be present. The secretary therefore moved that the matter of employees and salaries for the next fiscal year be referred to a committee composed of President Webster, Governor Shallenberger and S. L. Geisthardt, to canvass the situation and report their findings and recommendations to a future meeting of the board. Seconded by Mr. Ludi and carried.
The secretary called attention to the necessity for
wiring the basement of the new building for electric lights. Upon the suggestion of the president, Mr. Geisthardt moved that the matter be referred to the secretary with power. Seconded and carried.
There being no further business to come before the meeting, a motion to adjourn, subject to call, was seconded and carried.
CLARENCE S. PAINE, Secretary.
NEB., March 1, 1910.
The special meeting was called to order
at two o'clock by President John L. Webster.
Present, John L. Webster, Governor A. C. Shallenberger, Chancellor Samuel Avery, Robert Harvey, Samuel C. Bassett, S. L. Geisthardt, Nelson J. Ludi, Professor H. W. Caldwell, and the secretary.
President Webster made a brief statement of the work and investigations of the special committee appointed to consider the matter of employees and the apportionment of funds for the fiscal year beginning April 1, 1910. The committee made no recommendation. A general discussion of the whole question was participated in by all the members.
Mr. Bassett read a letter from Representative Ralph A. Clark, bearing on the work of the Legislative Reference Bureau. He then introduced a resolution reciting in the preamble the history of the legislative reference library and the relation of the legislature and the State Historical Society thereto. Then followed these resolutions:
1. Mr. A. E. Sheldon to be director in charge of this department, with authority to carry on the work of the department, including the necessary correspondence.
2. The Society to furnish necessary stationery, a typewriter and other facilities for properly carrying on the work.
3. A stenographer, to be named by the director of the department and approved by the secretary of the Historical Society; and extra help during the next session of the legislature, to be selected in the same manner as the stenographer.
4. That Mr. W. E. Hannan be assigned as an assistant in this department, commencing December 1, 1910, and continuing during the coming legislative session.
5. That if possible more commodious quarters be provided for this department.
6. The director of this department shall submit from time to time, as necessity requires, estimates of the cost of needed supplies for this department, to the governor, and upon the approval of the governor the secretary of the Historical Society shall procure such supplies for the use of the department, provided that the total expenditures during the year for supplies for this department shall not exceed the amount appropriated for that purpose.
7. That there be and hereby is appropriated and set apart for the support of this department during the year April 1, 1910, to April 1, 1911, the following amounts:
Upon the suggestion of President
Webster the preamble referred to was omitted. Mr. Bassett
then moved the adoption of the resolution. Motion seconded
by Mr. Ludi. Governor Shallenberger moved to amend section 7
of the resolutions by substituting the following
apportionment of funds:
This amendment being accepted by Mr.
Bassett, the question recurred upon the resolution as
amended. Mr. Geisthardt called for the ayes and nays. The
roll being called on the adoption of the resolution as
amended, the following vote was recorded:
Professor Caldwell then moved that a
committee of three be appointed to advise with the secretary
in the matter of a separation of the property of employees
from that belonging to the Society. Seconded, and carried.
The president appointed as such committee, Professor H. W.
Caldwell, S. L. Geisthardt, and Governor Shallenberger.
NEB., April 25, 1910.
for the consideration of the following order of business:
1. Minutes of previous meetings.
2. Report of secretary.
3. Centennial celebration at Bellevue and Omaha.
4. Final acceptance of work done under contracts on the new building.
5. Contract of the York Blank Book Company for printing volume III of the constitutional convention proceedings.
6. Resolution requesting payment of annual dues by members.
7. Election of members; and for the consideration of such other business as may properly come before the meeting.
Yours very truly,
CLARENCE S. PAINE, Secretary.
The meeting was called to order at half
past two by the president, John L. Webster.
board, and set forth the position of the York Blank Bo Company with reference to its fulfillment. On motion of Mr. Bassett, the subject matter was laid on the table.
President Webster presented an address to the members of the Society as follows:
To the Members of the Nebraska State Historical Society:
The Nebraska State Historical Society has a membership of 809, based upon the record of persons who have been admitted to membership covering the period of its history from 1878 to date. These persons have contributed nothing to the expense of maintaining the Society other than the initial membership fee of two dollars, and many of them never attended meetings of the Society and have taken but a limited interest, in its welfare.
It is the judgment of the governing body of the Society that its members ought to take an active interest in its prosperity, and contribute annually something toward its support. It is believed, and indeed it is quite necessary, that the members should contribute at least the sum of two dollars per year to be used to help in defraying the necessary expenses of the Society. This also will tend to create an interest in the individual membership. In consideration for this payment it is the sense of the Society that all members so contributing the sum of two dollars per year shall receive free of charge a copy of each of the subsequent publications. Without such contributions publications cannot be made.
The secretary is instructed to send a copy of this communication to each member of the Society, which shall be a request for the remittance of two dollars, which will be turned over to the treasurer to be disbursed in the usual course of business by the governing body.
Mr. Bassett moved the adoption of the address as the act of the board. Seconded and carried.
The suggestion of the president that the secretary be instructed to order embossed stationery, similar to samples presented, and such as used by other state offices was, on motion of Mr. Bassett, approved.
Mr. Harvey moved that the secretary be authorized
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller