Portrait and Biographical Album of Lancaster County, Nebraska,
Full Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches
of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County.
Printed by the Chapman Brothers, Chicago. 1888.
Copy of this book is in the possession of the Nebraska State Historical Society in Lincoln, NE. Please see the NSHS website for research information if you wish secure copies of the original pages.
The following examples of articles from "the Lancaster Album" were supplied by Vicky (Walker) Drake and are about "her" families. Thank you for typing & sharing, Vicky.
(May, 2000 - the entire book was loaned to us for reproduction. Thanks to Dick Taylor).
ANDERTON, George L.
ANDERTON, George L.
George L. Anderton. The subject of this notice represents a man of excellent education, cultivated tastes and good business capacities, and who until the year 1887 followed mostly the profession of a teacher. He is now pleasently located on a good farm of eighty acres, embracing the northwest quarter of section 15, Waverly Precinct, with good buildings and the machinery required for the prosecution of agriculture after modern methods. He also owns eighty acres on section 10.
The residence of our subject in this county dates from May 1878. His early home was on the other side of the Atlantic, in Lancashire, England, where his birth took place June 5, 1849. His parents, James and Hannah (Lemming) Anderton, were natives of the same shire, and George L. was but six months old when they migrated from their native land and located on Staten Island, where they resided for a period of nine years, and the father pursued his trade of printing.
From Staten Island the Anderton family removed first to Rhode Island and next to Taunton, Mass., where the father, who had followed the trade of printer, found that block printing was superceding the old methods and his occupation was practially gone. He for a short time worked in a bleaching house, but finally resolved to take up farming in the West, and made his way to Manitowoc County, Wis., where he tilled the soil and resided until 1877. In the meantime the mother died there, about 1873. The father later returned to Massachusetts, but in a short time joined his son, our subject, in this county, and now makes his home with him.
The parental family included eleven children, three of whom died in infancy. Alice became the wife of James Walker, and died in Waverly Precinct about 1884; Diana, Mrs Oswold Rogerson, lives in Massachusetts; Grace married George Chatterton, and is now a resident of Wisconsin; Mary A. is the wife of Henry Berry, of Connecticut; Jennie, Mrs. Calvin P. Green, lives in Connecticut; and John in Rhode Island.
The subject of this sketch attended shcool quite regularly until a youth of sixteen years, then commenced his career as a teacher. The year following he went with the family to Wisconsin, where he supplemented his education by attendance at the Normal School of Oshkosh, and thereafter taught school and farmed alternately until coming to Nebraska in 1878. For a period of nine years he occupied himself as a grocer at Waverly, and in 1887 settled upon the farm where he now resides. He had purchased the land some time previously. He put up a fine two-story residence in the spring of 1888, which is one of the best structures of the kind in this part of the country. His land, with the exception of sixty acres, is under a good state of cultivtion, and everything about the premises is suggestive of comfort and plenty, the whole place presenting a most attractive picture of prosperous rural life.
The wife of our subject, to whom he was married Sept. 28, 1879, was in her girlhood Miss Nora, daughter of W.M. and Snare Reed, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this volume. They are now the parents of four interesting children, three sons and a daughter -- Arthur, Edgar, Grace, and Benie. Mr. Anderton is a Republican, politically, and has served as Town Treasurer and School Director.
John Jeffery, a worthy and respected citizen of this county, has been a resident of this State since 1868, at which time he migrated from Grant County, Wisc., and homesteaded 80 acres of land on section 22, Waverly Precinct. He still resides on the original purchase, to which he has since added another eighty acres, and now has all his land well improved and under a high state of cultivation. It is provided with commodious frame buildings, and the modern mechanical appliances which enable the agriculturist to perform his duties in the shortest possible time, and with the least outlay of manual labor.
The subject of this notice is a native of the Buckeye State, which has furnished so much of the best poineer element of Nebraska, and was born in Wayne County, Dec 6, 1831. He is the son of William and Mary (Furgeson) Jeffery, the former of whom was born in Belfast, Ireland, and was the son of John Jeffery, who, with his family, came to the United States in 1826, and settled in Congress, Wayne Co., Ohio. He secured a tract of timber land, and engaging in the noble occupation of redeeming from the wilderness a land which should "blossom as the rose", he was thus occupied until his decease. His family consisted of seven children -- William, Nancy, Jane, Eliza, Archibald, John and James.
William Jeffery, the father of our subject, was born Sept. 25, 1806 and accompanying the family to this country, grew to manhood in Wayne County, Ohio, and was there united in marriage, March 10, 1831, with Miss Mary Furgeson. Mrs. Jeffery was a native of Pennsylvania, and departed this life Feb 14, 1839, at the early age of twenty-six years, leaving two children: John, our subject, and Jane who became the wife of Lyman Haskell, and died in York State. William Jeffery chose for his second wife Sarah Burney, who was born Dec 11, 1801, and they soon afterward settled in Grant County, Wisc., which became their home until 1872, when they directed their steps to this State, and settled in Waverly Precinct, Lancaster County. The father engaged in the cultivation of the soil, but the sands of life were all most run, and he passed away Oct. 22, 1875; Mrs Jeffery still survives. Of the second union of the father of our subject there were born six children -- Martin, James, Mary A., Melvin, Thomas, and Rachel.
At the tender age of seven years our subject sustained an irreparable loss in the death of his loving mother, and when fourteen years of age he removed with the family to Grant County, Wisc., where he assisted in the duties of the farm. Before his arrival in Grant County he had attended the public schools of his native township, and received an elementary education. On the 13th of January, 1861 he contracted a matrimonial alliance with Miss Lorena Hall, a native of Trumbull County, Ohio, born Oct. 23, 1837, and the daughter of Jacob and Elect (Waldrof) Hall, natives respectively of New Jersey and Ohio. In 1845 the parents settled in Grant County, Ohio, and removed from Ohio to Wisconsin, where the devoted wife died five years later, Dec 31, 1850. The father subsequently came to Nebraska with our subject, and died at his residence, Dec 4, 1878. They became the parents of seven children -- Lorena, Nelson, Albert, Dudley, Warren, Elizabeth, and Jacob.
After marriage our subject pursued farming in Grant County, Wis., which he continued to make his home until 1868, when he came to Nebraska as above stated. Of his union with Miss Lorena Hall there were born fourteen children: Ira D., deceased; Volney W., Dudley M.; Walter A., Mary Electa and William, all deceased; Sarah J.; John, deceased; Ninnie L.; Nelson, deceased; George, Charles, Maggie, and Ida. In politics the sympathies of our subject are with the Democratic Party, but he yields to no slavish obedience, and holds himself free to support what he considers the best measures, regardless of the party by whom they are introduced.
LODER, John P.
John P. Loder. One of the first settlers in Waverly Precinct was the subject of this sketch, who entered land in 1857, the only other settler in the precinct at this time being John Dee, whose settlement dates from the same period. Mr. Loder was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, Nov 28, 1828, and is the son of William and Margaret (Maston) Loder, natives respectively of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The parents of our subject were married in Coshocton County, Ohio, and there resided until 1853 when they came to Nebraska, and settled in Cass County. The family circle included twelve children, ten of who are still living. When all had attained their majority, they were photographed with the parents in one group, forming a pleasing and unique picture. The eldest son is John P., the subject of the writing; Martha, the wife of John R Sheffer, of Cass County, Neb.; Lewis J., of this county; Aaron, of Greenwood, Cass County; Rachel is the wife of Martin Kirker, and Nancy. [sic] of C. E. Coleman, and both reside in Cass County; W Ales, of Lancaster County; Samuel; Mary, wife of Oscar Laughlain, and Edith each of Cass County.
The early days of our subject were spent upon the farm amid scenes of beauty and innocent delights, and when of proper age he entered the common schools of the district, where he soon made his mark. What is often called drudgery of school life did not seem to effect him; the school was his pleasure, so much so that when the time came for him to leave as a scholar, he elected and was found competent to return to it as a teacher. There is, perhaps, no profession in which repose such large responsibilities, such unbound opportunities. The teacher is the potter whose hands day by day, if directed by the intelligence, integrity and charity of the Christian gentleman, mold the pliant minds and hearts of the men and women who, presently, will rule in State and home. These men and women will be largely what their teacher has made them, and will bear the marks of his training all through their life's journey. In this profession our subject continued for seven years, when failing health warned him that some change must be made. He therefore took a journey westward, and arrived in Nebraska June 13, 1857. Having carefully examined the district, he selected a piece of land near the mouth of Camp Creek. This he chose for his brother, who proposed to follow him West in the fall of 1857. The conditions of life in the new counry are not strange to many still living, and yet to those whose lives have been spent in the great cities it would be more than strange to live where eight or ten miles must be covered in order to reach the nearest neighbor. This was the condition of things when our subject settled in Lancaster County, and even until so late a date as 1863 every man in Lancaster County was known personally by our subject. Since that time the county has been more rapidly developed and thickly settled.
In 1858 Mr. Loder pre-empted the land on which he now resides. He speedily began to improve it and brought it to a high state of cultivation, erecting his pleasant residence and the necessary farm buildings for greater convenience in the prosecution of his chosen pursuits. With the release from confinement and the return to the farm, with its change of occupations, out-door work, his health was speedily restored. About this time the Homestead Law was passed, and Mr Loder homesteaded eighty acres of land in Lancaster City. He lived upon this claim during the time required by law, fulfilling the remaining legal requirements, and in due time received his patent. He then returned to his old home. His landed estate includes 320 acres of land, 160 of which is situated close to the town of Waverly, where he maintains in a high state of efficiency one of the finest stock farms in the county.
In 1869 Mr. Loder was united in marriage with Emeline, duaghter of William and Catherine (Hummer) Tiger, both natives of New Jersey, where also their daughter Emeline was born, Sept. 8, 1848. This family moved West in 1855, and settled in DuPage County, Illinois. Here until 1867, they were very successful in farming. At that time they removed to Nebaska and settled in Lancaster County. After some years in this new home the father was taken to his last resting-place, leaving in sadness and mourning the mother, who is still living. Of this union there were born six children: Sarah E., wife of George W. Dunham; Emeline, John N., William S., Isaac J. and Lambert.
The family circle of our subject comprised nine children, only six of whom survive - William J., Earl, Lee, Elsie, Maud and John. Mr. Loder, although affiliating with the Democratic party, is a man who cannot be confined to the narrow limits of a party. Whenever occasion required and the issues at stake seem to demand it, he acts independently of party restraints. The high esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens and the confidence they respose in his fitness and integrity is expressed in that they elected him to be the first County Clerk of Lancaster County. School matters and everything which pertains to the interest of the people of the future generations through the present education, training, and development of youth, always receives his cordial interest and support. While destitite of adventure and dramatic scenes, his life presents in many regards a highly gratifying picture and worthy example. As a child, teachable and engaging; as a scholar, studious; as a teacher, earnest, painstaking and untiring; as a father and citizen, a true, courteous Christian gentleman.
Calvin Sterns, prominent among the general farmers and stock-raisers of West Oak Precinct, is successfully operating 160 acres of highly productive land on section 32. He is also owner of a half-section near Stratton in Dundee County, and is thus a man in good circumstances, enjoying with his family all the comforts of life. As a citizen, he is held in due respect by his community, of whose agricultural interests he is a thrifty representative, holding his own among its intelligent men.
The father of our subject, John Sterns by name, was born in the Dominion of Canada, in 1803, and died well advanced in years, although retaining the vigor of many a younger man. He carved his way to a good position by his own efforts, having no one to depend upon but himself when starting in life, and thus there were developed in his character the best principles of manhood. He acquired simply a common school education, and became familiar with agricultural pursuits in his boyhood.
John Sterns was married in his native Province, in 1853, to Lucinda Banning, and their union was blessed by the birth of eleven children, ten of whom lived to mature years. In 1843 Mr. Sterns disposed of his property interests in the Dominion, and making his way to Ogle County, Ill., invested a part of his capital in land in Monroe Township, of which he remained a resident for a period of eight years. His next removal was across the Mississippi into Blackhawk County, Iowa, but two or three years later he moved into Butler County, this State, where he carried on agriculture until his death, which took place on the 18th of January 1886. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with which he united at an early day. The mother is still living, making her home with her son Clark in Butler County. She was born in Canada, in 1806, and is the daughter of Benjamin Banning, also a native of the Green Mountain State, but who removed to Canada before his daughter Lucinda was born. There he spent his last days, passing away many years ago.
The subject of this sketch was born in the Dominion of Canada, Jan. 18, 1848 and was a lad eight years of age when his parents came to the States, and settled in Illinois. He remained a member of the parental household until twenty years of age, then started out for himself. In the fall of 1868 we find him in Blackhawk County, Iowa, and in that year he met his fate in the person of Miss Frances Harmer, to whom he was married on the 26th of January 1869. Of this union there have been born eight children, five of whom are living, namely: Eva, Albert, Winnie, Pearl and Earl.
After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Sterns settled on a farm, of which they remained residents a period of six years. Our subject then believing that he could do better upon the soil of Nebraska, came to this county, arriving in West Oak Precinct on the 10th of November, 1875. For five years thereafter he occupied himself at farming, and in 1880 purchased the farm upon which he has since lived, and where he has made all the improvements which now attract the admiring gaze of the passing traveler. He has a neat and substantial dwelling, a good barn, with fences and out-buildings in perfect order, the machinery of improved pattern, and excellent grades of live stock.
Our subject, in common with the intelligent men about him, has made a specialty of tree-planting, having put out in addition to a good orchard and the various smaller fruits, a fine lot of forest trees, which add not only to the comfort of his animals, but to the value and beauty of his property. Not only has he improved his own farm, but he has brought to a good state of cultivation acre upon acre of other land before becoming the owner of real estate here himself. He makes a specialty of Short-horn cattle, and takes pride in his fine horses.
The wife of our subject was born in Fond du Lac County, Wis., Oct. 23, 1852, where she acquired her education, and was reared to womanhood. Her parents, Joseph and Harriet (Stickney) Harmer, were natives respectively of England and New York. The father was born Feb 26, 1825, and came to America when a youth of eighteen years, locating in Ogle County, Ill., where he became acquainted with and married hs wife. Their family originally included nine chldren, five of whom are living, and residing mostly of Wisconsin. In 1845 they removed from Illinois to Wisconsin, where the father lived and labored until the last illness, which resulted in his death Oct 31, 1865. Mrs. Harmer was subsequently married to Mr. Grady, reference to whom is made in the sketch of B. Grady in another part of this work. They are now residents of Raymond, this county.
Samuel Walker, dealer in grain and live stock, in the village of Waverly, settled in Lancaster County near the above-mentioned village in 1865. Mr. Walker is a native of Albion, where he first saw the light Nov. 2, 1844 in Lancashire. He is a son of Samuel and Christian[sic] (Hayes) Walker of English birth and ancestry.
The parents of our subject were people of ambition and enterprise, and feeling circumscribed in their sea-girt home, concluded to try their fortune in a foreign land, and their choice fell upon this country. Putting their design into execution, they embarked for the United States about 1852, and first settled in the State of Rhode Island. In his native land the father had been engaged in a mercantile business, and had also followed dyeing cotton goods, and upon his arrival in this country he found employment in the bleaching department of a muslin factory, and remained thus employed until 1857. He then removed to Manitowoc County, Wisc., which became his home for eight years, after which he joined the procession moving toward the setting sun, and finally reaching this State, settled in Lancaster County. Here the parents found scope for their best energies, and they remained diligently employed in making a comfortable home for their family until their decease.
Their children, seven in number, were born in England, and their record is as follows: Solomon resides in Lewiston, Me; James in California; Thomas, in Janesville, Wis.; Alfred, in California; Peter H., in Waverly , while Arice is the wife of Lewis Loder, and Samuel is the youngest of the family. In early life the services of young Walker were utilized in the bleaching department of the muslin factory with his father, while he secured a fair education in the excellent schools of Rhode Island. In 1865 he came to this State, and turning his attention to agricultural pursuits, was pleasantly employed as a tiller of the soil for about twelve years, at which time he established his present business. He owns 280 acres of well-improved land, besides some good town property, and considering that his residence in the county has been little more than twenty years, he may look with pardonable pride on what he has achieved in two decades by industry, integrity and good judgement.
In Lincoln, Lancaster Co., Neb, 1878, our subject entered into a matrimonial alliance with Miss Mahala Reed, who was born in Knox, Ill., and is the daughter of William and Mary Ann Reed. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Walker has been brightened by the advent of four interesting children: Cora, Samuel Hayes, Allison R., and an infant unnamed, and they have a good prospect of entering upon the arena of life for themselves with more favorable environments that those with which their parents were surrounded. In politics, our subject yields an intelligent allegiance to the Republican party, and he loses no opportunity to assist and encourage all measures looking toward the betterment of the conditions of the county, intellectually or financially.
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller