NEBRASKA'S ENTERPRISING CITIES.
HENRY D. BOYDEN, Druggist, Corner Third and Pine Streets.--Among the enterprises which contribute to the business prosperity and importance of this city we notice Henry D. Boyden's, founded in 1881. The business occupies a two-story building, 22x60 feet, and the general appointment of the premises includes all the modern adjuncts of convenience. An immense stock of drugs, druggists' sundries and all goods pertaining to this line of trade is carried three experienced salesmen being employed. Mr. Boyden is a native of New York and mayor of the city, secretary board of examiners, Nebraska State Board of Pharmacy. He is a Mason (Mystic Shriner ; is an I. O. O F., A. O. U. W., M. W. A., and member of Liederkrantz Society. Also is secretary of the Grand Island Episcopal Church Vestry. He has lived here since 1879, and is one of the most enterprising mayors it has been the good fortune of the city to possess.
M. T. GARLOW Attorney at Law. Office Over First National Bank--Our pen sketches of Grand Island would be incomplete without due mention of M. T. Garlow. over First National Bank. He is a native of West Virginia, and has been practicing here since 1885. He attended the West Virginia University for four years and was admitted in the supreme courts of West Virginia in 1882. Mr. Garlow prosecutes his cases with a care and assiduity that deservedly command for him the respect of a large clientage.
J. P. KERNOHAN, Real Estate. Loans and Insurance,--J P. Kernohan has been established twelve years. He takes conscientious care of the management of estates, giving special attention to renting property, while close collections and prompt returns are guaranteed. He also does a large loan business (city, chattel and farm), and in insurance (life, accident and fire) he represents standard concerns. Mr. Kernohan is a native of Michigan. He has lived fifteen years in Nebraska and was formerly banking here for seven years when he was cashier of the Grand Island Banking Co. Mr. Kernohan came here from Edgar, Nebraska, where he established the first banking house of Packer & Kernohan, which was the third bank in Clay County. Nebraska. He, with his brother, conducts at Westcott an extensive cash store of general merchandise under the style of Kernohan Bros.
LESCHINSKY'S PHOTO ART ROOMS, 113 East Third Street.--Prominent among the enterprises of Grand Island we notice Leschinsky's Photo Art Rooms, 113 East Third Street, at M. Murphy's old stand. He has been founded ten years. The whole of the appliances and apparatus are of the newest and best, and, indeed. comprise as perfect an establishment of the kind as can be found. A large variety of city views always on hand. All photographs are taken by the instantaneous process, from locket to life size, from original pictures or from life, at moderate prices, satisfaction being guaranteed. Mr. L. is a native of Germany and came here from Hartford, Conn. He belongs to the M. W. A. His patrons have always found that he can give them perfect and accurate photos of themselves and their children, especially the babies.
L. S. MOORE, Dentist.--Among the inventions of the nineteenth century, none are of more importance to the public than those in dentistry Dr. L. S. Moore practices the science in all its branches. Gold filling a specialty. His practice extends all through this section of the State. Dr. Moore is a native of Ohio, and was raised in Iowa. He studied his profession in Independence, Iowa. He has practiced fifteen years in the State, thirteen of which were in Fairmont, Nebraska. The doctor is an I. O. O. F. and is justly worthy of his popularity.
THE SUNBEAM PHOTO ART GALLERY, 115 West Third Street--The Sunbeam Photo Art Gallery has enjoyed a liberal patronage from the best classes of society, in consequence of the fidelity of the portraits. Photography in all its branches is executed and the finest class of work is promptly produced. Mr. Pike is a thorough artist. having had nineteen years' experience. As regards copying and enlargement. from any style or size of picture, he is able to make copies of the highest artistic merit. Cartes-de-viste, ferrotypes, glass pictures. daguerreotypes, etc., may be thus multiplied and at small cost. Enlargement may be made from all the pictures, and finished in India ink, water-color, oil or crayon. Mr. Pike occupies a suite of five rooms for his work. and employs only experienced help. He makes a specialty of city views. He is a native of Canada and came here from Hot Springs, So. Dak.
D. A. FINCH. Dentist.--As a leading exponent of dentistry, in its various intricate branches. Dr. D. A. Finch is worthy of special mention. He is practically experienced in every detail of the work, and brings to his aid every modern machine in use. in the performance of his labors. He executes fillings, cleaning, preserving and straightening the teeth in the most thorough and scientific manner. Fine
gold and crown work a specialty. Dr. Finch is a native of New York, and is a Mason. K. P., M. W. A. and C. P. of A. His skill is amply proven and has won for him the regard of all with whom he is brought in contact.
PALACE MEAT MARKET, J. G. Rockafellow, Proprietor.--A popular establishment is that known as the Palace Meat Market, number 111 West Third Street, established six years. The premises are 22x60 feet in extent. Mr. J. G. Rockafellow, proprietor, does a wholesale and retail business in fresh, smoked and sugar cured meats, sausage. fish and game. All goods sold at the Palace Meat Market have become known on account of superior quality, freshness and moderate prices. Two hands are employed. The proprietor is a native of New Jersey, where he was formerly in the business.
D. H. McCOY & CO., Coal, Baled Hay--Have been founded four years. They are extensive dealers in hard and soft coal, and manufacturers and shippers of baled hay. The general business of the firm is very voluminous and of a highly prosperous character. Mr. McCoy is a native of New York and came here from Central Iowa. He is a K. P. and has had twenty years' experience in the coal business.
GRAND ISLAND BUSINESS COLLEGE, Institute of Penmanship and Shorthand. A. M. Hargis, President.--Henry Clay said: "Young man, qualify yourself for business. The professions are full and the age demands it. Educate yourself for business, and you will succeed now and hereafter." The course of instruction imparted at this college fully meets the advice of the great statesman. The president, A. M. Hargis, has had large experience. He graduated in 1883, from the College of Commerce, Minneapolis, Minn. His wife, Mrs. Hargis, ably assists him, as principal of the shorthand department They carry the students through a systematic course of study in the science of accounts, bookkeeping and penmanship. Over 200 students were enrolled this year.
JAMES CLEARY, Real Estate, Insurance, Security Bank Building.--Mr. Cleary does an extensive business in buying, selling and renting city and suburban properties. He is one of our most enterprising capitalists, who came here from Virginia. He is, too, a pioneer settler, having formerly been in the hardware business here many years and having opened up the first hardware store in Grand Island. He belongs to the M. W. A.
Lexington is the county seat and principal town of Dawson County. It is situated nine miles south of the geographical center of the county. in the heart of the prolific Platte Valley, and three miles north of the river. It has a population of 1,800 people, is divided into two voting wards, and is a regularly incorporated city of the second class. It has a first-class water works system, costing $20,000, fire protection; and the question of sewerage is now being favorably discussed. Numerous substantial brick business blocks are among the striking features of this thrifty city. while well-graded streets, extensive pavements and efficient drainage testify to the business energy of its people.
The Union Pacific Railroad does a flourishing business at this point in exporting the grain, live stock, flour and other articles raised and manufactured in Lexington and its contiguous territory.
As an educational center, Lexington has acquired some distinction. She has a corps of eleven able instructors, who exert their energies in two handsome brick school buildings in the first and second wards respectively. The enrollment the past term was 486.
There are also in the city six organized religious denominations, holding regular services. They are respectively, the Presbyterian. Methodist, Catholic. Episcopal, Evangelical and Lutheran. Each of these bodies has commnodious churches and strong memberships.
Nine secret societies have been organized from time to time, as follows: Thistle Lodge No. 61. A. F. and A. M.; Spartacus Lodge, No 118, K. of P.; Harmony Lodge. No. 46, A. O. U. W.; Dawson Lodge. No. 96, I. O. O. F.; Dawson Chapter, No. 33, O. E. S.; Tyrian Chapter. No. 29, R. A. M.; Triangle, No. 112. K. of L.; Knights of Maccabees. Reno Post 112, G. A. R., and a side degree of A. O. M.
Lexington has a carpet factory, two flouring mills, a cigar factory, four newspapers, three banks, eight grocery stores, three hardware stores, three drug stores, three clothing stores, two jewelry stores, three saloons, etc., etc. Her citizens are very sociable and refined, and to any stranger who desires to locate here they accord a cordial welcome.
Dawson County was organized June 26,1871. It covers an area of 1,008 square miles, being twenty-four miles north and south, by forty-two miles east and west. and furnishes 514,308 acres of land, which, after deducting 20,000 acres occupied by the Platte River, leaves 494,308 acres, every foot of which can be cultivated with most excellent results. The Platte River Valley, twelve miles broad, runs approximately east and west the entire length of the county. and furnishes some of the richest alluvial soil in the West. The adjacent table lands which bound the valley on the north and south are scarcely less fertile, and this rare gift of nature supplemented by an unparalleled climate for health and the growing of vegetables
NEBRASKA'S ENTERPRISING CITIES.
and cereals, is destined to make Dawson one of the most wealthy and populous counties in Nebraska. There are now 212,698 acres of improved land in the county; of this 106,349 are in wheat and 70,898 in corn. Our farmers, as a class, are exceptionally well-to-do and enterprising.
Dawson County has a population of 11,642, in which the American nationality largely predominates, though in the western part of the county are several large and prosperous settlements of Swedes and Germans. The county is divided into nineteen voting precincts, as follows: Lexington, Grant, Hillside, Logan, Wood River. Kennebec Cozad, Cayote, Overton, German Keystone, Holmes, Platte, Ringold, Antelope, Fairview. Buffalo, Blaine and Willow Island. The principal towns in the county are Lexington Cozad Gothenburg, Overton Sumner, Eddyville and Farnam.
During the twenty years which have elapsed since Dawson County was settled, there have been but two partial failures of crops. The first of these was the famous grass hopper year, when this county suffered with all central and western Nebraska and Kansas. The second was caused by the drouth of 1890, which, though very general and disastrous in its effects, yet left to our especially-favored county enough grain and vegetables to feed its people and stock until the crop of 1891 was harvested This crop was munificent in the extreme, and more than atoned for the short yield of the preceding year. Eighteen years of bounteous harvests and fairly good times have left their mark in the county, in the shape of comfortable and handsome farm houses, commodious barns and outbuildings. thrifty fruit orchards, herds of fat, sleek cattle and horses, and all the other marks of prosperity upon which the more eastern districts pride themselves.
The Platte River, while too shallow and swift for navigation, yet affords excellent and unlimited water power, which, at several points in the county, has been utilized with unqualified success. The river is nearly a mile wide, and at four points in its water course, Lexington, Overton, Cozad and Gothenburg, respectively, is spanned by substantial wooden bridges All of these, with the exception of the latter are the property of the county.
The Union Pacific Railroad, which parallels the Platte River, has seventy-seven miles of track in the county. The Burlington & Missouri Road touches the county at the southwest corner, where Farnam is located. The Kearney & Black Hills line gives the county. in the northeastern part forty-one miles of track. and upon this new road are located the prosperous towns of Sumner and Eddyville.
The greater part of the government land in the county has been taken by settlers, and the few remaining acres are being rapidly secured. The price of improved land ranges from seven to thirty dollars per acre, and finds a ready market at that price.
REPRESENTATIVE BUSINESS FIRMS AND MEN OF LEXINGTON.
LEXINGTON MILL AND ELEVATOR COMPANY, Grain, Flour and Feed.--The most important industrial establishment of Dawson County is the Lexington Mill and Elevator Co., located on the Union Pacific tracks and Washington Street. The premises consist of the mill and elevator building, 35x100 feet, three stories and basement, two large warehouses on track, 100x40 feet and 40x25 respectively. A Corliss engine. 150-horse power, furnishes the motive force and the mill has a daily capacity of 100 barrels of flour and forty tons of feed. The total storage capacity is 50 000 bushels. The brands of flour, Patent and White Rose are unexcelled in quality, and are sold as far west as Cheyenne. A small surplus is sold in Atlanta, Georgia. Grain is also handled in large quantities for shipment chiefly to Chicago, and also St. Louis and Milwaukee. Constant employment is given to fifteen men, and the volume of business annually runs $250 000. This enterprise was started by E. M. F. Leflang, C. M. Brix and eight others in 1884, since which year these two gentlemen have at various times purchased the interests of their partners until they are now sole owners. President Leflang is also president of the Dawson County National Bank of Lexington and the First National Bank of North Platte. C. M. Brix, secretary and treasurer, was born in Denmark, came to the United States in 1881, resided in Wisconsin for two years and moved to Lexington in 1883. He worked in the coal business for one year, at the close of which he embarked in the present enterprise, the great success of which is largely due to his painstaking, untiring efforts. Mr. Brix is also vice president of the Dawson County National Bank and city treasurer.
THE CORNLAND HOTEL, L. N. Miller, Proprietor.--Few hostelries in the State of Nebraska are so admirably equipped and so neatly furnished as the Cornland Hotel, of Lexington. The building is pressed brick, contains fifty sleeping apartments and is lighted by gas and
© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller