Resource Center, On-Line Library
HOPE BROWN AND FAMILY
line out of Loup City for a while. In April, 1917, the brothers came to Scottsbluff and opened their present store and they have prospered. They carry a fine line of jewelry and optical goods, making a feature of the latter and manufacturing and grinding their own lenses.
In 1907, Lou Schwaner was united in marriage to Miss Mayme Auble, at Ord, Nebraska, and they have two children: Charles and Martha. He and family belong to the Presbyterian church. Charles H. Schwaner married Miss Bessie Rawles, of Ord, Nebraska, and they have one daughter, Georgia. The brothers are Republicans in politics and members of the Knights of Pythias. They are enterprising citizens and honorable business men and command respect and enjoy the confidence of everyone.
HOPE BROWN, who is a prominent and highly respected citizen of Banner county, is owner and proprietor of Big Horn ranch, consisting of 5,000 acres of range and farming land, and that this property has been acquired through his own unassisted efforts, speaks well for his industry, good judgment and business foresight. He was born in the city of Glasgow, Scotland, October 10, 1867, and is a son of Robert and Agnes (Boyd) Brown.
From Scotland the parents of Mr. Brown came to the United States in 1868. For several years they lived at Madison, Wisconsin, where the father followed his trade of stonecutter, then moved to Omaha, and one year later to Colfax county, Nebraska. The father homesteaded near Schuyler and lived on his land there until his death, which occurred in 1878. As opportunity offered he worked at his trade, always frugal and industrious, a man of sterling integrity. The mother of Mr. Brown still lives in Colfax county and owns the original homestead. Both parents belonged to the Presbyterian church. Of their nine children, six survive, and of these Hope and David live in Banner county.
Hope Brown went to school until twelve years old and then began to be self-supporting, After working for farmers, both in Nebraska and Iowa, he returned to the home farm and was engaged there for five years, coming then to Banner county. In 1889 he bought a relinquishment and homesteaded, later bought additional land in the county and finally the property on which he has resided for seventeen years. Formerly this place was known as Big Horn postoffice and for seven years Mrs. Brown was postmistress. Mr. Brown raises 100 head of White Face cattle and several car loads of hogs yearly, while 1,200 acres are devoted to general farming.
On April 5, 1893, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Maggie I. Maynard, who is a daughter of Alexander G. and Eva (Vincent) Maynard, who now live retired at Minatare. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown the following children have been born: William 0., who married Pinkie, a daughter of Mervin Snyder; Edith, who married Rolland Sickles and now lives in Maxwell county; Agnes, who resides at home; Alice, who is the wife of Frederick Haskell, a farmer near Reddington; and Lillie, Hope, Jr., Byron, Eunice, Eva, and Lois, all of whom reside at home, an intelligent and happy family prominent in the social life of the neighborhood.
In national matters Mr. Brown is a Republican, but sometimes issues come up in local affairs that cause him to cast an independent vote. He has served in a truhtworthy (sic) manner in public office at times, was a county commissioner from 1902 to 1908, and was one whose judgment was consulted about consolidating three school districts with district No. 8. He is well known in fraternal life, belonging to the Masons, Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of America, and United Workmen. Mr. Brown is now a man of ample fortune. He went a few years ago to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and there worked in a brickyard, and helped in the removal of Camp Carlin to Fort Russell. Although he yet oversees the operation of his large property, for the past five years ill health has somewhat reduced his activity and he has shifted some of his responsibility to younger shoulders.
ALBERT B. KERNS, D. D. S., who is engaged in the practice of dentistry at Scottsbluff, came to this city in 1917, and with the exception of a period of military training, has been in continuous practice here ever since. Dr. Kerns has thoroughly demonstrated his knowledge of modern dentistry and has won the confidence of the public in a professional way, and at the same time has gained respect and esteem as a young man of high personal character.
Albert B. Kerns was born at Auburn, Nemaha county, Nebraska, in 1891, and is a son of James W. and Alice J. (Crowley) Kerns, the former of whom was born in Ireland and the latter in the state of Illinois. Their marriage took place in Illinois, and in 1878 they came to Nebraska. The father was in the lumber business almost all his life prior to retirement, first embarking in the same at Omaha, but later removing to Phelps, Mis-
souri. At the latter place the town was submerged when unexpected rises took place in the river, entailing great loss of property. He then moved to Auburn, Nebraska, which was but a little hamlet at that time, and resumed his operations in lumber and become one of the substantial men of the place and still resides there. For many years, he has been a prominent factor in Republican politics and served one term in the state legislature. Both parents of Dr. Kerns are members of the Roman Catholic church. Of their eleven children Albert B. was the fourth in order of birth.
Albert B. Kerns was graduated from the Auburn parochial school in 1907, after which he spent two years in Creighton University, Omaha, and in 1912 was graduated from Creighton Dental college, Omaha, and immediately entered into practice at Elgin, Nebraska, where he continued until 1916, spending the rest of the year in Fremont and then establishing himself at Scottsbluff. He entered military service in the National army, September 7, 1918, taking a medical officers training course at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, where he remained on duty until his honorable discharge, December 22, 1918. In February following the Doctor was found ready for professional work in his office, through unusual experience better qualified than before for the problems continually being presented to a dental surgeon.
In 1917 Dr. Kerns was united in marriage to Miss Helen Celia Toillion, who was born at North Platte, Nebraska, a daughter of Xavier Toillion, who was born in France and is now retired and lives at Sterling, Colorado. Dr. and Mrs. Kerns are members of the St. Agnes Catholic church, and he is very active in the Knights of Columbus, also the local B. P. 0. E. In his political views he is a Republican.
THOMAS F. KENNEDY, one of the energetic, progressive men of Scottsbluff, has been prominent in business circles and in civic affairs here ever since he chose this place for his home in 1905. At present he is one of the city officials and is also secretary and treasurer of the Tri-State Land Company, and in addition manages an extensive produce business. Mr. Kennedy was born at St. Joseph, Missouri, March 26, 1873, the son of Thomas H. and Mary H. (Furman) Kennedy, the former born at Drogheda, County Meath, Ireland, September 15, 1835, and died December 8, 1908, while the mother was a native of the Empire State, born July 25, 1839, and died November 2, 1902. The parents were married at Florence, Massachusetts, and two of their three children survive, Thomas F. and Ruth D., the eldest, Philip H., died at the age of forty years. Mr. Kennedy's sister is the widow of Dante Barton, who died August 6, 1917. For a number of years he was an editorial writer for the Kansas City Star. Mrs. Barton resides in Washington, where she is connected with the National War Labor Board. The life of Mr. Kennedy's father had many elements of romance in it, his whole career being well worth repeating. He was a runaway from home at the age of thirteen years, reached the United States as a stowaway, picked up a fair education in his adopted country as best he could, and was forty-years old when he was graduated from the law school of the Kansas University. In 1868 he located at St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1875 removed to Lawrence, Kansas, and in 1880 to Kansas City, where his death occurred. He became well known in his profession and for some years made a specialty of pension cases.
Thomas F. Kennedy obtained his school training at Kansas City. His first business experience was with a firm of building contractors, after which he was engaged in the produce business at Kansas City for a number of years. In May, 1905 he came to Scottsbluff and for a year was cashier and office manager for the Tri-State Land Company, with which organization he has continued as secretary and treasurer. To some extent he has engaged in the produce business, making a specialty of buying potatoes.
On December 19, 1900, Mr. Kennedy married Miss Alice Beesley, who was born at Mossy Creek, Tennessee, and they have one daughter, Alice Alberta, a student in the Scottsbluff high school. Mr. Kennedy and family are members of the Presbyterian church. His parents belonged to the Congregational church. He was reared in the Republican party and has loyally supported its principles all his life. Since coming to Scottsbluff be has been interested in the city's progress in every way, has served as village clerk and almost continuously on the school board, of which be is the present secretary.
FRED M. BRYAN, who is a prominent and reliable business man of Scottsbluff, is at the head of one of the largest jewelry establishments in Western Nebraska, is widely and favorably known to the trade, and is vice president of the Nebraska Retail Jewelers associa-
tion. Mr. Bryan came to this city in 1913 and has identified himself with her best interests, and his public spirit and usefulness are being utilized in his earnest civic efforts as alderman of his city ward. Fred M. Bryan was born at Mason City, Nebraska, in 1887, and is a son of Millard C. and Mary A. (Boden) Bryan. They were married in Illinois, came to Nebraska in 1879 arid settled in Seward county, then the father embarked in a mercantile business at Mason City, where he continued until 1915, when he disposed of his interests there and came to Scottsbluff. Of their five children, Fred M. was the third in order of birth, the others being: Mrs. Becker, a resident of Scottsbluff; Mrs. R. C. Smith, who lives on a farm in Butler county; Paul Franklin, in business with his brother Fred; and William Lloyd, who died November 7, 1918, was also a member of the firm of Bryan Bros.
Fred M. Ryan attended the public schools of Ulysses, Nebraska, and afterward spent two years at Omaha, attending a trade school where he learned watchmaking. Afterward for four years he was in the jewelry business at Ulysses, then sold out and in 1913 came to Scottsbluff. Mr. Bryan has a beautiful store well stocked in his line, his goods being carefully selected to suit the most critical taste and of great value. He has patrons all through the Platte Valley and is prepared to supply jewels or jewelry designs for all occasions.
In 1909 Mr. Bryan was united in marriage to Miss Lillian Peterson, who was born at Fremont, Nebraska, and educated in the high school there. Her father, David Peterson, carries on a plumbing business at Fremont. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. They have two children, Maude and Rex. Politically he is a Republican and fraternally an Odd Fellow, a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner.
PAUL F. BRYAN, who is a member of the jewelry firm of Bryan Bros. at Scottsbluff, is well known in this city, to which he came in 1911 and was identified with a prominent firm here before his present one was organized. Mr. Bryan was born at Ulysses, Nebraska, in 1892, and is a son of Millard C. and Mary A. (Boden) Bryan, who now live retired at Scottsbluff.
The parents of Mr. Bryan came from Illinois to Nebraska in 1879. The father located first in Seward county, later moved to Ulysses in Butler county and then embarked in the mercantile business at Mason City in Custer county, where he continued until 1915, when he retired to Scottsbluff. He is a Republican in his political views.
Paul Franklin Bryan is one of a family of five children, two daughters and three sons. All three sons engaged in business together under the style of Bryan Bros., at Scottsbluff, in 1913, but only two survive, Fred and Paul F., the other, William Lloyd, having died November 7, 1918. Paul F. Bryan was educated at Ulysses and after completing the high school course, learned the jewelry trade under his brother. In 1911 he came to Scottsbluff and was connected with the firm of Diers Bros., until he went into partnership with his brother as Bryan Bros.
Mr. Bryan is one of the returned soldiers from overseas service in the Great War, his experiences while in France for six months, including the terrific fighting in Argonne Forest. Many of his brave comrades fell there and he was so exhausted that he had to be sent to a hospital in Bordeaux. He was a member of Company A Three hundred fifty-fifth infantry, Eighty-ninth division, a sergeant in rank. He suffered first from a gas attack, August 8, 1918, went back to the front lines on September 15, left the hospital December 8 and sailed for home, and with duty well done, was honorably discharged January 11, 1919. He earned a place on the record that Nebraska will cherish of her best and bravest sons.
GUS W. LAWTON, who owns an attractive jewelry store at Scottsbluff, is a man of marked executive ability, a good citizen and quite active in civic affairs. He is one of the younger business men of the this city and came here in 1915, but he has shown business ability and a recognition of the highest standard of commercial integrity. Mr. Lawton was born at Fairhope, Alabama, June 2, 1889, the son of John and Clara (Craiuto) Lawton, both born at Leeds, in Yorkshire, England. The father traveled for a number of years in different parts of the world to secure specimens for the British Museum, and he was a hunter of wild animals in Africa and Australia and shipped them to England. He came to the United States and was married at Chicago, Illinois,, and in 1885 settled in Alabama. Mr. Lawton is now of venerable age, being in his ninetieth year, the mother being aged seventy-five years. They are highly respected and esteemed residents of Greeley, Colorado. Of their three surviving children, Gus W. is the eldest, the others being daugh-
ters: Mrs. E. J. Preston, of Kansas City, and Madeline, a teacher near Greeley.
During Mr. Lawton's school period, the family lived in Texas, and in 1904 he was graduated from the Dennison high school and shortly afterward went to Denver, Colorado, where he served an apprenticeship at the jeweler's trade. For one year he was in a jewelry house at Chamita, New Mexico, then went to Salt Lake, Utah, and from there to Galveston, Texas. Later he located in Chicago, Illinois, in all these cities working in the manufacturing departments of large business houses in his line, and before he came to Scottsbluff, Buffalo, Kansas City and Denver had been added to the list of cities where he had resided and been associated with jewelry concerns. He has a well arranged store with a complete stock and has built up an excellent business.
In politics Mr. Lawton is a Republican but aside from partisan activities, has shown much public spirited interest concerning the progress of Scottsbluff. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and has served through all the chairs except vice chancellor. He has a wide circle of social acquaintances and is a member of the Country Club and its secretary.
CLARENCE G. STEEN, D. D. S., who is well known professionally all through the Platte Valley, enjoys the distinction of being the oldest dental practitioner in point of time at Scottsbluff. Dr. Steen is a native of Nebraska and was born at Wahoo, in Saunders county, November 1, 1883.
The parents of Dr. Steen, John and Mary Louise (Hought) Steen, natives of Norway, came to Iowa when young and were married at Decorah in that state. Of their four children Dr. Steen is the third in order of birth, the others being: Mrs. A. C. Killian, whose husband is a clothing merchant; Theron H., who is in the stock business in South Dakota; and Mona, who looks after the domestic affairs of her brother at Scottsbluff. The parents still reside at Wahoo, where they are active in the Methodist Episcopal church. The father is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in politics he is a Republican and in earlier years was quite prominent in public life, at one time being city treasurer of Omaha and state land commissioner. He is now engaged in the real estate line at Wahoo.
After his public school course, C. G. Steen spent three student years at the University of Nebraska and in 1908 was graduated from the school of dentistry of Creighton University, Omaha. He began the practice of his profession at Scottsbluff and continued until 1915 when he went to Omaha and practiced there for two years and then returned to Scottsbluff and resumed practice. Dr. Steen has a reputation for skill in his profession that places him in the front rank of dental surgeons.
On June 6, 1908, Dr. Steen was united in marriage to Miss Mable Mellinger, who was born at Burlington, Iowa, and died December 13, 1914, survived by three children, namely: Jane, John M. and Virginia Louise, their ages ranging from nine to six years. Dr. Steen has been prominent in Republican political circles and active in public affairs here, at one time serving as mayor of. the city, 1914-1915. He is a Consistory Mason and has been an official of the Blue Lodge.
JAMES T. ANDERSON. -- It is a fact of modern medicine that when mysterious diseases attack, in many cases the dentist is called in to diagnose and successful treatment follows his advice. An experienced dental surgeon of the modern school at Scottsbluff, is found in Dr. James T. Anderson, who has been established in this city since August, 1917. Dr. Anderson was born in 1875, at Red Wing, Minnesota.
The parents of Dr. Anderson were John A. and Elizabeth (Johnson) Anderson, the former of whom was born in Sweden and the latter in Pennsylvania. Both came to Minnesota as young people and were married there. Of their seven children, James T. is the youngest of the five survivors, the others, being: Minnie, the wife of John Fryer, a resident of Minneapolis, Minnesota; Charlotte L., an artist, lives at Minneapolis; ........ the wife of William Richards, formerly an educator but now in the real estate business; and Louise, a teacher of physical culture and dancing. The parents were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. The father was a farmer all his life when not engaged in serving his country (1887) in the state legislature, and in 1861-65 as a soldier in the Civil War. As a member of company D Third Minnesota infantry, he participated in many of the serious battles of that struggle.
James T. Anderson was graduated in the agricultural course from the University of Minnesota in 1898. He then taught school for two years in North Dakota and for one year afterward was clerk in a store. In 1904 he completed his course in dentistry at the Indiana Dental college, following which he located at Axtell, in Kearney county, Nebraska,
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller