NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




   Philo J. McSween was born in Burnet county, Texas, September 11, 1872, and is a son of Dr. John and Elizabeth (Wright) McSween. The father was born in Tennessee and the mother in Mississippi, in which latter state they were married and the father obtained his medical degree from a Mississippi college. After some years of practice there he moved to Texas, in which state he also practiced his profession for some years and then went into the cattle business in which he continued until he retired from active life. His death occurred in Texas and that of the mother of Chief McSween in Colorado. Of their nine children Philo J. was the youngest and is the only one of the five survivors living in Nebraska. Before the war between the states, Dr. McSween was a man of large fortune, but like many others he lost heavily through circumstances over which he had no control. As long as he lived he was a conscientious supporter of the priciples (sic) of the Democratic party. He was a faithful Mason and strict in his adherence to the tenets of the Presbyterian church.
   Philo J. McSween obtained his education in the schools of Burnet, Texas. When eighteen years old he went to Colorado and for sixteen years he was concerned with farm industries there, having had experience in his native state. From Colorado he came to Nebraska and in 1907 embarked in the meat business at Scottsbluff in partnership with M. E. Harris, but two years later bought a farm in the county, which he conducted until March, 1919, when he sold it and moved back into town, accepting the appointment of chief of police.
   At Brush, Colorado, January 10, 1899, Philo J. McSween was united in marriage to Miss Lureada Lee, who was born in Iowa and is a daughter of Joseph and Rosaline Lee, natives of Kentucky, who moved to Iowa and became farming people there. Chief and Mrs McSween have had five children, namely: Myrtle, who was graduated from the high school at Scottsbluff in the class of 1919; Raymond L., who fell a victim of influenza in the epidemic of 1918, a promising and talented youth of sixteen years; and Merle, Mildred and Fred, aged respectively thirteen, seven and three years. A staunch Democrat in politics, a loyal member of the Knights of Pythias, a public-spirited citizen and an efficient and reliable official, all these may be truthfully cited of Chief McSween.

    ANDREW J. FAULK, M.D., is one of the favored mortals whom nature launches into the world with the heritage of sturdy ancestry, a splendid physique, a masterful mind and energy enough for many men. Added to these attributes are exceptional intellectual and professional attainments and useful lessons of a wide and varied experience stored away. He is a type of the true gentleman and representative of the best in communal life, dignified, yet possessed of an affability and abiding human sympathy that have won him warm friends among all classes and conditions of men. Of sturdy pre-Revolutionary stock, he was born strong of decision, with judgment and pronounced independence. If a man comes of a good family he ought to be proud of it and he performs an immeasurable duty when he employs the best means to preserve the family record in enduring form, that future generations may receive instruction through the principles and influences, the personality and career of the forbears. The subject of this biography can trace his lineage to colonial days, as two of his great-grandfathers came to this country and located in the Keystone state before the Revolutionary war and aided in reclaiming Pennsylvania from the virgin forest and possession of the Indians.
   Andrew J. Faulk was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 13, 1858, the son of Thomas B. and Sarah (Reed) Faulk, both natives of that great commonwealth. Thomas Faulk received an excellent education and served on the editorial staff of one of the Pittsburgh daily papers for several years, He was an ardent supporter of the Republican party and as a young man eagerly entered into political life, taking a leading part in party policy and administration, holding one office for twenty-seven years, being reëlected term after term. Andrew's grandfather removed to Dakota Territory in 1862, locating in Yankton, where he entered prominently into the communal life of the city and surrounding country, and was territorial governor. He was a member of the Republican national convention that nominated John C. Fremont. The grandfather died in 1898, passing away a man of honor in his eighty-fourth year. Thomas B. Faulk died at the age of fifty-nine years at Kittanning, Pennsylvania, in 1898.
   Reared in such a family with its many traditions and high ideals it was but natural that the boy should receive an excellent elementary education, afforded by the public schools of Yankton, followed by broader and more comprehensive courses that developed his fine men-



tality and prepared him for the career to which he intended to devote his life's labors. At the close of his academic career the young man entered upon the study of law, being admitted to practice in South Dakota in 1881, passing a brilliant examination before the bar. For some years he followed the profession of law and his name became well known in the territory and state, but the career of a lawyer did not entirely satisfy him for he wished his life to be significantly one of service, for he is a man of unwavering optimism and abiding human sympathy and to satisfy these qualities he entered the Sioux City College of Medicine, receiving his degree of M.D. in 1901. For a short period the doctor was engaged in the practice of his profession in westeren (sic) Iowa, but in 1903, he removed to western Nebraska, and on the 25th day of September opened an office in Mitchell. On coming here his ability soon gained him recognition, with the result that great success has attended his earnest efforts in his chosen calling. In the work of his humane mission Dr. Faulk spares himself neither mental nor physical effort, and carries relief and solace to those in affliction and distress. His practice has grown to immense proportions for he has gained a reputation throughout the entire Panhandle as physician and surgeon. The doctor is a namesake of his illustrious grandfather; while his ancestor, General Daniel Brodhead, was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and while the doctor has never sought military honors he is a worthy representative of his family, as he volunteered among the first on the declaration of war in 1917. He is a leading figure in all patriotic movements and takes an active part in all civic and national affairs that tend toward the betterment of living conditions in state and county. His aunts have been at various times delegates of the Daughters of the American Revolution and one also served as president of this organization in both South Dakota and Nebraska. Dr. Faulk does not neglect his duties as a citizen of the city in which he makes his home but enters actively in the political life of Scottsbluff county as a staunch Republican, having served several terms as chairman of the Republican Central Committee and as Congressional committeeman. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Shriner, having taken his thirty-second degree; is also a member of the B. P. 0. E. and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and a generous supporter of the Episcopal church, of which the family are members. He has served as surgeon general of the Patriarchs Militant for Nebraska; was the organizer and first president of the Scottsbluff County Medical Society; is a member of the American Medical Society and state representative to the Nebraska State Medical Society, and was three times elected delegate thereto. At the present time he is serving in important local offices, being president of the school board, and city physician, a position he is well qualified to fill as he is not only a highly educated man but is one of broad outlook who keeps abreast of the times and well up on all questions of the day, and at all times advocates the latest equipment and most advanced methods in the schools for the benefit of the rising generation.
   Dr. Faulk was first married in 1881 to Mina L. Fletcher, a native of the Empire state, who became the mother of two children: Carl F., who chose law for his career and is now practicing in Alaska; and Mina Lucille, who is deceased. Mrs. Faulk was a highly educated woman of wide attainments, who for some time previous to her marriage taught "Methods" in New York State Normal. She died in April, 1902. Two years later the doctor married Miss Maude I. Baldwin of Minnesota, who is a woman of splendid talents and utmost sincerity, taking a very active part in all benevolent, charitable, and war work, and with her husband enjoys great popularity.

    E. FRANK KELLEY, a man of ripened school experience and high scholarship, efficiently fills the office of county superintendent of schools in Morrill county. His name carries weight in representative educational circles all over the state. Mr. Kelley was born in Illinois, October 16, 1876, but received most of his educational training in Nebraska.
   He is the son of James Dallas and Eugenia (Smith) Kelley, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania and the latter in Iowa, the marriage taking place at Fort Madison, that state. The mother of Superintendent Kelley died in 1914, but his father still resides at Portland, Oregon, where he was a mechanic in the railway shops for ten years, following similar trade employment in Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. He has always been considered a man of good judgment, has ever been faithful to his trade contracts, is a staunch advocate of the principles of the Democratic party and a member of the Presbyterian church. He belongs to the order of Modern Woodmen. Of his five children E. Frank is the only one living in Nebraska.
   E. Frank Kelley attended the Osceola high school, following his graduation he matriculated at Fremont college, graduating after four year with his Bachelor's degree in 1909 and immediately began teaching school in Polk



county, Nebraska. Finding work in this profession congenial, he continued his pedigogical (sic) (sic) work in Polk county for five years, then served as principal of the Lodgepole schools for one year, and subsequently for three years was principal of the schools of Bayard. In the meanwhile he became connected with the First National Bank of Bayard, an association which lasted two years before he became an official of the Bank of Bayard, an institution with which he was connected five years, until the fall of 1916 when he was elected county superintendent of Morrill county and assumed office in 1917, being re-elected in the fall of 1918. Mr. Kelley has been pleasantly associated with the county teachers, who have found in him not only a competent educational leader, but also a wise and helpful friend, this condition working beneficially for the schools all over the county.
   On June 24, 1903, Mr. Kelley was united in marriage to Miss Clara Goldsmith, who was born at Ashland, Nebraska, in 1881, a daughter of David G. and Helen Goldsmith, both of whom survive, the father being a retired farmer with a home at North Platte, Nebraska. Superintendent and Mrs. Kelley have two children: Helen, born May 14, 1905; and Dallas, born January 15, 1916. The family belong to the Episcopal church. In politics a Democrat like his father, Mr. Kelley also belongs, to the order of Modern Woodmen.

    JOHN H. STEUTEVILLE, who has most ably exercised judicial powers in Morrill county as County Judge for the last decade, stands in foremost rank with the substantial and loyal citizens of Bridgeport. Judge Steuteville was born in Grayson county, Kentucky, December 1, 1875, the son of Richard Foggatt and Narcissa E. (Haynes) Steuteville, who moved from Grayson Springs, Kentucky, to Brownville, Nebraska, in 1880, and still reside there. Both parents were born in Kentucky, the father a son of Richard and Mary (Phillips) Steuteville, natives of Louisiana and Kentucky respectively, and the mother a daughter of Henry and Jane (Stith) Haynes, natives of Virginia and Kentucky. These old names are yet familiar and honored in different sections of the South. Judge Steuteville has two brothers and two sisters: Earl, the Postmaster at Bridgeport, Nebraska; William V., an attorney at Sioux City, Iowa; Jessie E. Berlin who resides at Brownville, Nebraska; and Mary, a teacher of mathematics in the high school at Sioux City, Iowa.
   Following his graduation from the Brownville high school, John Henry Steuteville entered upon the study of law and in 1899 was graduated from the University of Nebraska College of Law. For some years he was active in the educational field, at first teaching country schools in Nemaha county, Nebraska, and afterward served as principal of the city schools of Howe, Johnson and Brownville, Nebraska, and of Belle Fourche in South Dakota. He then engaged in the practice of his profession, first at Gering and later at Bridgeport. When the county was divided, at the first county election, he was elected county judge, in which office he has continued ever since, being re-elected five times. Not only on the bench has Judge Steuteville been a prominent and representative citizen of state and county, but in other relations, and movements contributive to the general welfare, he has been a valuable co-operating force. He is a 32d degree Scottish Rite Mason, and has filled all the chairs in the Blue Lodge at Bridgeport. During the World War he served as secretary of the Council of Defense, was county Food Administrator, a member of the Home Guards, of the Four Minute Men, and was active on committees in the Y. M. C. A. movements and in other war preparations. Judge Steuteville owns several farms in Morrill county, and today is accounted one of the substantial and representative professional men of the Panhandle.

    MABEL J. JOHNSON, the county treasurer of Morrill county, Nebraska, has earned the reputation of being one of the most capable, energetic, efficient and likable officials that have been elected and re-elected to responsible office here for many years. The spirit of progress that marks Nebraska in so many ways, is no more notably manifested than in opening doors of equal opportunity to both sexes and the calling of women as well as men who have the confidence of the public to positions of trust. Miss Johnson, after one term of difficult duty meritoriously performed, was re-elected county treasurer in 1918 and is still serving.
   Mabel Johnson was born at Omaha, Nebraska. Her parents were Charles and Josephine (Palmquist) Johnson, both of whom were natives of Sweden. They came to the United States in 1879 and resided at first at Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1899 they located at Omaha but subsequently the father homesteaded in Morrill county where he was engaged in farm industry until the time of his death, in 1909. He was a member of the



Lutheran church, was a Republican in politics and belonged to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The mother of Miss Johnson survived her husband and now lives at Bridgeport. Of the family of ten children eight survive and two of the sons were in military service during the World War, August W. and David G. The former saw seven months of hard service in France and participated in the memorable battle of the Argonne Forest, where he was severely wounded. This young hero has not yet recovered from his injuries and, although once more on American soil, is yet a sufferer, in a military hospital at Des Moines, Iowa. David was yet in a training camp at the time the armistice was signed with Germany. The other brother and sisters of Miss Johnson are as follows: A. C., who is a Broadwater ranchman and farmer; Anna V., who is the wife of L. C. Curtis, engaged in the sand business at Fremont; Mary, who is deputy treasurer of Morrill county; and Helen and Alice, who are yet in school.
   Miss Johnson was educated in the Omaha public schools. Her first public position was as an employe of the post office for four years, after which she served as deputy county treasurer for six years and was first elected treasurer in 1916 and re-elected in 1918. She votes the Republican ticket. Miss Johnson is a member of the Presbyterian church at Bridgeport.

    Z. HAROLD JONES, district and county clerk of Morrill county, has been identified with county offices since 1914, entering public life from the educational field, in which he had been favorably known for some years. Mr. Jones was born at Gretna, Sarpy county, Nebraska, March 28, 1891, and his interests have always been centered in this state.
   Mr. Jones' parents were Ziba and Mary I. (Stansberry) Jones, who were born, reared and married in Iowa. In 1879 they came to Nebraska and settled in Sarpy county but later moved to Dawson county where the father bought land. This farm he subsequently sold. It was before the settlers had commenced to benefit by the irrigation project that later has brought such plenteousness into even the most arid territories. Mr. Jones and his family returned to Sarpy county and located on a farm twenty-five miles southwest of Omaha, on which the family lived for twenty years. The father retired from active work at that time and moved to Gretna, where his death occurred in 1900, when fifty two years old. He had been a man of considerable importance in Sarp (sic) county, was active in the Republican party and was a member of the Congregational church. For a number of years he had been a member of the order of Modern Woodmen of America, under the auspices of which he was buried, and in which organization he carried insurance to the amount of $3,000. Of his eight children three besides Z. Harold survive: Ella J., the widow of John Hickey, lives at Marsland, Nebraska and owns two large ranches in Sioux county, Nebraska; George P., a miller at Hemingford, in Boxbutte (sic) county; and Augusta who is the wife of Arthur E. Simonds, of Bellevue, Nebraska, agent for the Burlington Railroad. The mother of the family lives with her son at Bridgeport and belongs to the Presbyterian church of this city.
   Following his graduation from the Gretna high school in 1907, Mr. Jones for six years alternated teaching and attending school to carry on higher and extended studies and thus qualify for better positions. He taught one year in the Bridgeport high school, being reelected at the close of his contract. The offer he did not accept, however, and in 1914 entered the county clerk's office as deputy, which position he served until January 1, 1917, when he was elected clerk for the two-year term, and in November, 1918, was re-elected. His duties include those of both district and county clerk and complete efficiency marks their administration.
   On January 1, 1919, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Nell Jeffords, who was born at St. Paul, Nebraska, a daughter of John F. and Rose (Cordell) Jeffords, who were born, reared and married in Illinois. Some thirty years ago they came to Nebraska, locating first at Loup City but moving later to St. Paul and afterward coming to Bridgeport, where the father engaged in the jewelry business, a vocation in which he built up an excellent clientele and which he conducted until his death here. Mrs. Jeffords survives her husband and yet resides here.
   Mr. Jones is affiliated with the Democratic party, takes an active part in civic affairs in Bridgeport in many ways, and is secretary of the school board and treasurer of the Home Guards. He is present chancellor commander of the Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the Bridgeport Progressive Club. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Presbyterian church, and are prominent in all social activities of the city.

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller