Resource Center, On-Line Library
ELMER Z. JENKINS AND WIFE
in the meanwhile he had become active in the political field and in 1890 was elected to the Wyoming state legislature on the Republican ticket and took part in bringing about some very important legislation. In 1904, when Mr. Guthrie came first to Morrill county, he became deeply interested in the irrigation projects and bought land along the Belmont Irrigation Canal, has continued his active interest and, as mentioned above is secretary of the board that is expending $75,000 in putting in drains and headgate in the Morrill county irrigation district. Mr. Guthrie owns four irrigated farms and gives much of his time to their development.
In 1885 Mr. Guthrie was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Hewitt, who was born at Zanesville, Ohio, but was reared in Des Moines, Iowa. They have one daughter, Margaret, the wife of I. P. Hewitt, who is connected with the Puget Sound Navy Yard, at Everett, Washington. They have two children: William Guthrie Hewitt and Helen Hewitt. Mr. Guthrie is a York Rite Mason and a Shriner and belongs also to the Knights of Pythias and the Elks.
ELMER Z. JENKINS. -- In section 1, township 23-56, near the thriving town of Mitchell, in the north central part of Scottsbluff county, will be found the attractive and admirably improved farm home of him whose name initiates this paragraph, who is successfully engaged in general farming and stockgrowing, and who is known and valued as one of the influential and representative citizens of the community.
Mr. Jenkins is a contribution made to Nebraska by the fine old Buckeye state, but there is no faltering in his appreciation of and loyalty to the great state in which he has achieved prosperity through his own well ordered endeavors. He was born in Jackson county, Ohio, September 30, 1872, and is a son of Andrew J. and Charlotte (Moore) Jenkins, he a native of Ohio, and she of Missouri, the father being eighty years of age and the mother above seventy years at the time of this writing, in the winter of 1919. Andrew J. Jenkins was a farmer in Ohio but he went as a pioneer into Kansas, where be took up and perfected title to a tree claim, a property upon which he made good improvements and upon which he continued to reside several years. He was a member of a gallant Ohio regiment that did valiant service in defense of the Union during the Civil War, and in his venerable years he finds deep satisfaction in his affiliation with the Grand Army of the Republic. He is a stalwart Republican in politics, and his wife is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Of their seven children, Elmer Z., of this review, is one of the two eldest, his twin sister, Bertina, now a resident of Lincoln, Nebraska, being the widow of Lafayette Sherrow; Mary, is married and resides at Shenandoah, Iowa; William is a painter and decorator by vocation and resides at Kansas City, Missouri; Albert is a street-car conductor in the city of Lincoln, Nebraska; Roy resides in Kansas City; and Lottie is deceased.
Elmer Z. Jenkins gained his youthful education in the public schools of Ohio and Kansas, and he has been a resident of Scottsbluff county since 1908, when he entered claim to the homestead upon which he has since maintained his residence, the same comprising eighty acres, and the entire tract having excellent irrigation facilities. He has erected good buildings and made other modern improvements on the place, and is making definite success in connection with his vigorous enterprise as an agriculturist and stock-raiser. He has added eighty acres to his holdings by purchase. He is influential in community affairs, has served nine years as a member of the board of directors of the consolidated schools of which his district is a part, and he is treasurer of the Farmers Union at Mitchell. In politics he maintains an independent attitude and votes in consonance with the dictates of his judgment. He and his wife are zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Mitchell and he is a valued and popular teacher in its Sunday school, as well as liberal in the support of all departments of its work.
In 1898 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Jenkins to Miss Gertrude E. Hoy, daughter of Daniel Hoy, who came from Virginia to Nebraska and who is now a prosperous farmer near Saltillo, Lancaster county, this state. To Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins have been born four children: Arthur married Helen Lukens and will reside in this neighborhood; Carl and Clarence are at the parental home, and Inez died at the age of nine years. In a fraternal way Mr. Jenkins is actively identified with the Mitchell Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America.
ALBERT E. FISHER, who owns the controlling interest in the Nebraska State Bank at Bridgeport, of which he is cashier, is not only widely known in financial circles but for many years was one of the foremost educators in the state. Mr. Fisher was born at Wyanet, in Bureau county, Illinois, November 5, 1871 and was brought by his parents to Ne-
braska in infancy. He has spent his life in this state and some years ago homesteaded in Dawes county, south of Chadron.
The parents of Mr. Fisher, Eugene K. and Hulda S. (Smith) Fisher, were born, reared and married in Illinois. Of their six children, Albert E. is one of the four survivors, the others being: Henry L., a retired ranchman who lives at Chadron; Nellie M., the wife of Morgan H. Nichols, a merchant at Chadron; and Ralph W., a traveling salesman out of San Francisco, lives at Oakland, California. In 1872 the parents came to Fillmore county, Nebraska. The father has been a farmer all his life and owns a section of land in Dawes county, but now lives retired at Chadron, where the mother died. She was a faithful member of the Presbyterian church and a woman of beautiful Christian character. The father was reared in the Baptist faith. He has always given his political support to the Republican party and for many years has been identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Albert E. Fisher entered Chadron Academy, from which be was graduated in 1898. He had taught school in the meantime, for six years, then entered the university at Omaha, from which he was graduated in 1905. He found teaching a congenial vocation and continued in the educational field until 1917, during this time serving as superintendent of schools at Beemer, Nebraska, from 1905 to 1908; at Neligh, from 1908 to 1910, and was superintendent of the Aurora schools from 1910 to 1917, when he retired from educational work. He then embarked in the banking business at Bayard where he remained one year as president of the Farmers State Bank of Bayard, then came to Bridgeport, taking over the controlling interest in the Nebraska State Bank of this city. This institution is a sound, reliable, prosperous bank, with a capital of $25,000; surplus and profits $5,000; and average deposits $70,000. In 1918 Mr. Fisher was elected president of the Bankers Association of Nebraska. He has been honored many times by the Nebraska State Teachers Association, and has served in all the higher offices of that body and for five years was a member of the state examining board.
On December 26, 1905, Mr. Fisher was united in marriage to Miss Katherine C. Clark, who was born at Craig, Nebraska, and they have three children: Katherine, John A. and Helen C., all attending school. Mr. Fisher and family belong to the Presbyterian church. He is active in the Masonic lodge at Bridgeport, is past master at Aurora and Bayard, belongs to the Royal Arch at Aurora, and is a charter member and master under dispensation at Bayard and now a member of Camp Clark lodge at Bridgeport. He belongs also to the order of Highlanders. In his political views he is a Republican.
CHARLES E. STEUTEVILLE, Postmaster at Bridgeport, from the nature of his office is one of the city's best known citizens, and because of his efficient administration of the same, is one of the most popular. He belongs to an old and most worthy Nebraska family and was born in Nemaha. county in 1885, being a son of Richard F. and a brother of Judge J. H. Steuteville.
Charles E. Steuteville completed the high school course at Brownville and then spent one year in the normal school at Peru, Nebraska. He embarked in business as manager of a hardware store and lumber yard and for a number of years was identified with the lumber industry. For eight years he was an employe of the Edwards-Bradford Lumber Company of Sioux City, Iowa, and for three years filled an important position with the C. N. Dietz Lumber Company of Omaha. In 1908 he came to Morrill county and homesteaded, later worked for the Bridgeport Mercantile Company, and for two years acted as assistant postmaster. On May 15, 1918, he was appointed postmaster and took charge of the office, with the duties of which he was already familiar. This post office is continually growing in importance and Mr. Steuteville has taken advantage of every opportunity afforded him to improve the local service.
In 1911 Mr. Steuteville was united in marriage to Miss Eva L. Todd, who was born in Missouri. They have one son, John Richard, born July 3, 1913. Mrs. Steuteville is a member of the Presbyterian church. Postmaster Steuteville's political affiliation has always been with the Democratic party and he is a member of high standing in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Bridgeport.
MARTIN HANNAWALD. -- When that great artery of transportation, the Union Pacific Railroad, had been completed across Nebraska and the territory had become a state of the Union, many substantial and far-seeing men of the states farther eastward, began to take an interest in the prairie lands of the new state, and one of these was Martin Hannawald, then a farmer in Michigan and now a retired resident of Bridgeport. For forty
five years this family has belonged to Nebraska, and for almost thirty years Mr. Hannawald was a representative farmer and stockman in Hamilton county.
Martin Hannawald was born in the state of New York, November 11, 1848, and obtained his schooling there. He was yet a young man when he came as far west as Chicago, Illinois, where he lived for three years, during that time driving an express wagon for a livelihood, and then went to Van Buren county, Michigan, as a farm worker. It was while so engaged that he met and was subsequently married to Miss Elizabeth Mather, who was born in Van Buren county and is one of the two survivors of three children born to Reuben and Celia (Caveney) Mather. They were natives of New York, where Mr. Mather was a well-to-do farmer. They drove from New York in a covered wagon to Michigan, where the father of Mrs. Hannawald became a prominent man. He was a Republican in politics and served as township treasurer for seventeen years. Both parents of Mrs. Hannawald were members of the Baptist church. Her one brother, Wright Mather, is a produce merchant at Saginaw, Michigan.
In 1874 Mr. and Mrs. Hannawald come to Nebraska and bought land in Hamilton county and for many years lived on that property and then sold and came to Morrill county. Here Mr. Hannawald purchased a large ranch and was in the stock business during the rest of his active life, in 1911 retiring to Bridgeport. Of the family of eight children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hannawald the following survive: Hattie, the wife of C. D. James, a farmer near Ericson, Nebraska; Celia, who married M. J. Cass, a retired farmer near Long Beach. California; Thomas J., who lives at Aurora, Nebraska; N. L., who homesteaded as also did his wife and live near Bridgeport, and Blondena, the wife of M. Beerline, a hardware merchant at Bridgeport. Mr. Hanniwald has always voted the Republican ticket but has never been willing to serve in public office though often urged, as a man of high standing and sound judgment, to accept such responsibility. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and both he and wife are members of the Eastern Star, in which Mrs. Hannawald has been active and prominent. She served as the first Worthy Matron of Bridgeport Chapter No. 260. Mr. and Mrs. Hannawald can recall many interesting events of pioneer life in Nebraska, and they cherish many kind thonghts (sic) of those who, like themselves, had the courage and endurance to bear the inevitable hardships and helped to bring about better conditions.
RALPH O. CANADAY, one of the younger members of the Bridgeport bar, came to this city to establish himself in his profession in March, 1919, after his return from military service during the World War. Lieutenant Canaday was born at Minden, Nebraska, April 4. 1891, the elder of two sons born to Joseph S. and Mary Jane (Winters) Canaday. His brother, Walter A. Canaday, is in the real estate business at Bridgeport; and his sister, Mary Golda, is a senior in the State University.
Senator Canaday, father of Ralph O. Canaday, was born in Sullivan county, Indiana, a son of John Canaday, who was born in Kentucky, lived subsequently in Indiana, Illinois and Nebraska and died in the last named state in 1900. The Canadays probably settled in Kentucky contemporary with Daniel Boone and the grandfather of Senator Canaday was the the only member of his family that escaped during an Indian attack on the unprotected settlements, Joseph S. Canaday was married in Illinois to Mary Jane Winters, who was born in Crawford county, that state, and in 1887 they came to Nebraska. He bought land in Kearney county and still lives at Minden. He has been very prominent in Democratic politics in the county, served in the state senate, was county superintendent of schools and also county treasurer and has frequently been suggested for other public positions of responsibility. He was the organizer of the Co-operative Elevator Association found all over the state and is president of the same. With his family he belongs to the Christian Science church.
Ralph O. Canaday was graduated from the Minden high school in 1909 and spent six years in the State University, in 1915 being graduated with the degree of A. B. and in 1918 received his LL.B. degree. He was admitted to the bar in 1917 and practiced at Minden until May 17, 1918, when he entered the National army, going to the officers' training school at Camp Dodge, and was commissioned second lieutenant of Company D Eighty-eighth infantry on August 26, 1918. The end of hostilities came before his regiment left Camp Dodge, and he received his discharge January 31, 1919. In March following be came to Bridgeport, formed a partnership with William Ritchie, jr., and has been engaged in the practice of law here ever since with encouraging success. He has charge of the Central States Investments Company's
business in Morrill county. In politics Mr. Canaday is a Democrat and fraternally a Mason, belonging to Lodge No. 19 A. F. & A. M. at Lincoln. He belongs to the Christian Science church.
WALTER A. CANADAY, second son of Hon, Joseph S. Canaday and Mary Jane (Winters) Canaday, was born at Minden, Nebraska, March 22, 1893. He was graduated from the high School of Minden in 1913, after which he took a commercial course in Boyle's Business college at Omaha. He then went on his father's farm in Kearney county and remained interested there until in August, 1917, when he joined a medical corps for service in the World War, accompanied the American Expeditionary Force to France, where he served from August, 1918, until May, 1919, when he was discharged. He returned home and visited one week, then came to Bridgeport and embarked in the real estate business in partnership with R. C. Neumann. Mr. Canaday's business future looks bright. Like his brother he belongs to the Christian Science church. Both are held in the highest possible esteem.
RAYMOND C. NEUMANN, a leader in the real estate business at Bridgeport in partnership with Walter A. Canaday, is widely and favorably known. For many years he was identified with agricultural interests in the state and later with business enterprises in this city. Mr. Neumann is a native of Nebraska and was born at Sidney, July 19, 1875, a son of Henry and Fidelia (McMurray) Neumann, the former of whom was born in Hanover, Germany, and the latter in Iowa. They were married at Sidney, Nebraska, and three of their four children survive, Hank R., Raymond C. and Rosebud. The father came to the United States when fourteen years of age and shortly afterward enlisted at New York in the United States army, came to the western country as a soldier, took part in Indian warfare and assisted in guarding the railroad workers when the Union Pacific Railroad was being built into Sidney. Later he became a stockman in Cheyenne county, Nebraska, and his death occurred at Denver, in 1910, where the widow yet survives. Mr. Neumann was a prominent factor in Republican politics in Cheyenne county and served as county commissioner.
Raymond C. Neumann obtained his education in the public schools and later taught school for two years, during 1896-97. He began life on a farm and early became interested in stock and particularly cattle, and there is a story told in the family that he was but six years old when he attended a round up and surprised the other cow punchers with his skill as a rope thrower. In later years he substantiated this reputation. Sometime later he rented his father's ranch for five years and went into the stock business, raising many horses and some cattle and making a success of his enterprise. Afterward he engaged in the oil business at Denver for a time. In 1905 he came to Bridgeport and was one of the first business men to go into the restaurant business here and two years later widened his business by opening a hotel, which he conducted until August, 1917, when he sold out and retired from that line, although he still owns the building. Since then Mr. Neumann has been interested in the real estate and insurance lines of business in which he has demonstrated his usual enterprise and good judgment.
On November 20, 1897, Mr. Neumann was united in marriage to Miss Callie Capron, who was born in Ohio, and they have three daughters, namely: Violet, who fills an important position in the Bridgeport Bank; and Opal and Callie, both of whom are attending school. While never unduly active, Mr. Neumann has always been faithful to the principles of the Republican party, believing them safest for a real foundation upon which true Americanism can build. For many years he has been identified with the Masonic fraternity. He is numbered with the useful and representative citizens of Bridgeport.
FRANK N. HUNT, whose successful operations in real estate in Morrill county have resulted in a change of ownership of large and valuable tracts of land, and thus brought considerable outside capital to this section, has won a place among the leading business men of even much riper experience. Mr. Hunt belongs to Nebraska, having been born at Omaha, October 19, 1887, the son of George J. and Margaret (Bouldin) Hunt, both descended from ancestors who settled in Maryland at an early day. His father was born in the city of Baltimore, in 1856, where the Hunt family for generations has been prominent in financial and political affairs. Immediately after his graduation from the University of Maryland, in 1876, he came to Nebraska and the impression he received during a year spent at Omaha, so favorable that after his admission to the bar two years later, he came back to that city and became prominent as a member of the
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller