Resource Center, On-Line Library
ZADOCK GOODWIN, a resident of Mitchell, Scottsbluff county, who takes pride in claiming the fine old Hoosier state as the place of his nativity, was a young man of twenty-three when he came with his father to Nebraska and established his residence in Box Butte county, and thus to whom may be justly accorded pioneer honors in the famous Panhandle of the state, to which this history is dedicated. He has been a prominent and influential force in connection with the development of farm industry in this section of the state and he and his wife are now the owners of a large and well-improved landed estate in Scottsbluff county, where their attractive home is situated about twenty-five miles distant from the thriving little city of Mitchell, which is their postoffice address.
Mr. Goodwin was born in the vicinity of Greencastle, Putman county, Indiana, on the 9th day of January, 1867, a son of Zadock Goodwin, who was born in Ohio and who was one of the most venerable citizens of Box Butte county, Nebraska, at the time of his death, in 1912, when he was ninety years of age. The maiden name of the mother of the subject of this sketch was Nancy Sigler, and she likewise was born near Greencastle, Indiana, her death having occurred when she was about forty years of age. Zadock Goodwin, Sr., was a farmer in Indiana and from that state he finally removed to Iowa, where he became a pioneer in the realm of agricultural and livestock enterprise and where he remained until 1886, when he came to Nebraska and took up a homestead and a tree claim in Box Butte county. To this tract of 320 acres he later made very appreciable additions, and he became largely and prominently identified with the raising of cattle in this section of the state, where he became well known as a man of character and marked business ability.
He whose name initiates this article was a boy at the time of the family removal to Pottawatamie county, Iowa, where he received the the public schools and where also his initial experience in connection with agricultural enterprise and the stock business.
In 1886 he accompanied his father to Box Butte county, Nebraska, where he took a preemption claim, to which he perfected his title and which he finally sold. In 1895 he became a pioneer farmer in Scottsbluff county. He has wisely made investment in land in this county and now has a valuable estate of 2000 acres, of which 160 acres are supplied with irrigation and given over to the raising of diversified crops. On his extensive ranch Mr. Goodwin likewise gives special attention to the raising of cattle and other livestock of excellent types and he has erected good buildings and made other modern improvements on the place. Though he still gives a general supervision to this fine estate, which he now rents, he is living virtually retired, in the enjoyment of the ample rewards for former years of intense and well-ordered activity as one of the world's productive workers. He is a staunch advocate of the principles for which the Democratic party stands sponsor in a basic sense and is a liberal and loyal citizen. His wife and daughters hold membership in the Presbyterian church.
In 1894 was recorded the marriage of Mr. Goodwin to Miss Lennie Shull, who was born in Monroe county, Iowa. Her father, Isaac Shull, was born in Indiana, as a representative of one of the very early pioneer families of the state. Mr. and Mrs. Goodwin have two children: Hildred, who remains at the parental home, was graduated in the University of Nebraska with the degree of Bachelor of Arts; and Mary, who likewise remains at the parental home, was graduated in the Mitchell high school, as a member of the class of 1919.
CHARLES F. CLAWGES, who has been identified with Bridgeport interests since the town's earliest days, serving as its first postmaster and in other important capacities, is a native of Missouri, born at Trenton, February 23, 1865. He has lived in at least four states in the Union but has long claimed Nebraska as his home. He came to Cheyenne county in 1900.
The parents of Mr. Clawges were Dr. J. W. F. and Charlotte (Galander) Clawges, the former of whom was born in Kentucky and died in Missouri in 1869. The mother of Mr. Clawges was born at Gottenberg, Sweden, eighty-five years ago. She vividly recalls the long voyage from Sweden to the United States made in her youth in a sailing vessel that was on the water for three months before landing its passengers at New Orleans. In her long life she has witnessed many wonderful things come to pass, but the marvels of rapid transportation perhaps interest her most. She was united in marriage to Dr. J. W. F. Clawges at Annawan, Henry county, Illinois. During the Civil War he was regimental surgeon of the Seventh Missouri Cavalry, and afterward engaged in the practice of his profession in Missouri until his death. He belonged to the Masonic fraternity. There were six children born to Dr. and Mrs. Clawges as follows: Una, who is the wife of J. W. Cartwright, a carpenter and contractor at Bridgeport; Lottie,
who is the wife of William Forrest, an attorney at Peoria, Illinois; Laura, who is the wife of W. A. Shellheimer, a farmer near Chillicothe, Missouri; Charles F. and Jack, who are twins, both of whom live at Bridgeport, and Daniel F., who is assistant postmaster at Kansas City, Missouri. The mother, who resides with her son Charles F., is a member of the Seventh Day Adventist church.
Charles F. Clawges completed his high school course at Annawan, Illinois, after which he spent some time in the Northwest Normal School at Geneseo, Illinois, For two years afterward he taught school in Illinois, then went to Kansas, where for three years he was employed in a railroad office, when he was transferred to St. Louis, Missouri, and remained in the same capacity there for three years, following which he spent one year at Spokane Falls, Washington. In 1900 Mr. Clawges came to Cheyenne county and went on a ranch with his brother Jack, the latter at the present time being superintendent of the boiler room in the Burlington shops at Bridgeport.
In 1895 Mr. Clawges was united in marriage to Miss Mary Leaf, who was born in Boone county, Iowa. She was the first wife and mother in the Bridgeport settlement and the first child born here was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Clawges, Dan, whose bright young life went out during the influenza epidemic, November 24, 1918, at the age of seventeen years. Mr. and Mrs. Clawges have a daughter, Una, who is attending school. Mrs. Clawges is a member of the Adventist church.
In 1901 Mr. Clawges was appointed postmaster of the new town of Bridgeport and continued in office for four years, and in many ways, as an intelligent and reputable citizen, was useful in bringing about stable conditions. For some years he conducted a barber shop and was influential in bringing other business concerns to the place. He invested in land as his good judgment recognized the opportunity, and now owns a valuable farm of 200 acres all irrigated. Since retiring from active business life at Bridgeport he has been a very successful salesman of automobiles for the Mitchell Car Company. In politics he is a Republican, and he has long been identified with the order of Knights of Pythias.
EDGAR C. PORTER.-- Among Bridgeport's retired farmers are found some of the most substantial citizens of Morrill county. They are more than that, for they usually are men of such good business judgment and stable personal character, as to be a valuable controlling element in the regulation of civic affairs and a check on unwise expenditures. They have had experience. Not many of them had wealth when they came to Nebraska, and the ample fortunes they now enjoy, have only been secured through hard work, self denial, and close economy. They are examples of the value of the above qualities that, in times of national extravagance and distress, may well be listed as virtues. A prominent retired farmer of Bridgeport is found in Edgar C. Porter, who came to Nebraska in 1894. He was born in Madison county, Iowa, February 8, 1859.
The parents of Mr. Porter were John and Nancy Ellen (Crager) Porter, the former of whom was born in West Virginia and the latter in Ohio, in which state they were married. They were pioneers in Madison county, Iowa, where the father secured government land at $1.25 an acre, to the development and improvement of which he devoted the rest of his active life. Ten children were born to them and eight still live, Edgar C. being the fifth born. He has one brother, Samuel, living in Dakota, but the other brothers and sisters have remained in Iowa. The father supported with vigor the principles of the Republican party, and both parents were faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which the mother united when fourteen years old. Edgar C. Porter attended the country schools near his father's farm in Madison county, and early learned to be useful. He remained at home until about twenty- six years old and then started out for himself, pioneering after the manner of his father by coming westward, reaching Denver, Colorado, in 1885. He homesteaded in that vicinity and lived on his place for five years and then disposed of it. After eight years in Colorado, he came to Nebraska and in 1894 settled on North river in Cheyenne county, renting land for several years. In 1903 he purchased a tract of school land, to which he has added from time to time, until he now owns an entire section, 100 acres of which are irrigated and the rest is operated under a dry farming system. It may be remarked that the only property Mr. Porter owned when he came to Nebraska was a team and wagon, cow and calf. Now, in addition to his land above mentioned, Mr. Porter owns valuable town property as does Mrs. Porter, who also owns a section in Morrill county. They have a beautiful residence at Bridgeport into which they moved in 1913.
whom was born in Shelby county, Illinois, May 2, 1849, and the latter in Fairfield county, Ohio. In 1884 William Mount came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, subsequently lived in Logan, Weld and Sedgwick counties, and in 1894 came to western Nebraska. He bought land along the Belmont Ditch and followed farming there for six years, then bought farms in Morrill county. Later he sold his homestead, retired to Bridgeport in 1910, and looks after several acres of land adjacent to other town property. In 1871 Mr. Mount was married to Sarah Stumpff, and Mrs. Porter is the eldest of their nine children. Mr. Mount is a Republican and has long taken an active part in political affairs, believing good citizenship demands it.
Mr. and Mrs. Porter have three children: Claudia, a popular teacher and well known in social circles at Bridgeport; Florence, who resides at home, and Marjorie, who is yet in school. Mr. Porter and his family are members of the Presbyterian church. He has always been affiliated with the Republican party but has never consented to hold office. He occupies his leisure time pleasantly with looking over his farm and stock within a short distance of Bridgeport.
CHARLES O. MORRISON. -- Foremost among the citizens of Morrill county, whose business success and high personal character entitle them to prominence, is Charles O. Morrison, vice president of the First National Bank of Bayard, and the owner also of a large acreage of valuable land. Although a native of another state, Mr. Morrison has passed the greater portion of his life in Nebraska, lived on a farm until he was twenty-three years old and started out for himself on a limited capital. He was born at Dixon, Illinois, August 10, 1862.
The parents of Mr. Morrison, William F. and Virginia (Lichtenberger) Morrison, were born, reared and married in Pennsylvania. Of their ten children eight are living, two of them being in Morrill county, namely: Charles O. and E. W., the latter a retired resident of Bayard, Nebraska. The parents located at Dixon, Illinois, in 1861 and the father engaged in farming in Lee county until 1870, when he decided to seek better opportunities in the West. He brought his family to York county, Nebraska, the journey being made in a covered wagon after the fashion of the old Conestoga, dear to the pioneers, and shortly after reaching here he homesteaded and both parents of Mr. Morrison spent the rest of their lives in York county, passing away at Bradshaw. The father became a man of consequence, serving in the early organization of the county, later as county commisioner (sic) and in other offices of responsibility. He was one of the early Masons in York county and assisted in establishing the Christian church.
Charles O. Morrison attended the country schools in York county and remained on the home farm until 1884 when he embarked in the mercantile business. For twenty-six years he was a merchant, first at Bradshaw, later at Phillips and then at Bayard, being in this line at Bayard for seventeen years, disposed of his mercantile interests in December, 1916. Mr. Morrison assisted in the organization of the First National Bank at Bayard, in 1910, and has served ever since in the office of vice president. The latest bank statement gives the following facts concerning this reliable financial institution: Capital, $50,000; profits and surplus, $20,000; average deposits, $450,000. The accommodations rendered by this bank and the courtesy accorded patrons have been greatly appreciated.
On September 1, 1896, Mr. Morrison was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Miller, who was born at Toledo, Ohio. Her father, James C. Miller, came to Phillips, Nebraska, in 1889 and subsequently died there. Mr. Morrison is a member of the Episcopal church. He is a Knight Templar Mason and belongs also to the Royal Highlanders and the Modern Woodmen. His political affiliation has always been with the Republican party and at times he has served very usefully in town offices and for thirteen years has been a member of the town board. Mr. Morrison has invested extensively in land in Morrill county, presumably with the foresight of a keen and experienced business man, and now owns 1040 acres, 400 of which is irrigated.
WILLIAM T. McKELVEY, who is one of Bayard's respected retired citizens, can look back over thirty-three busy years in Nebraska, during which he built up an ample fortune, from a very small beginning. Mr. McKelvey was born in Clark county, Illinois, in 1857.
The parents of Mr. McKelvey were Patrick and Mary (Campbell) McKelvey, the former of whom was born in County Donegal, Ireland, and the latter in Kentucky. They both came to Clark county, Illinois, in early life and were married there. The father of Mr. McKelvey served in the Mexican War and afterward was a farmer and merchant in Clark county. He held a number of township offices in the gift of the Democratic party. He died in Clark county, but the mother of Mr. Mc-
Kelvey died in Nebraska, in 1918, having lived with her son William T. for over twenty years.
Of their eight children the following are living, in addition to William T.: Lavona, who is the widow of Lafayette Beard, of Topeka, Kansas; Lydia May, who is the wife of James Beacham, a retired farmer of O'Neill, Nebraska; and Horatio A., who is a farmer in Minnesota. The parents were members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
William T. McKelvey obtained his education in the district schools in Clark county and worked on his father's farm. He was not robust as a boy and remained at home until he was twenty-seven years old, then came west, and in the active outdoor life and strenuosity of existence on the range, found health as did one of America's greatest statesman, the late Theodore Roosevelt. Mr. McKelvey located in Cheyenne, now Morrill county, in 1886, where he homesteaded and for a number of years rode range as a cowboy. He owns a large acreage in the county yet, for years being interested extensively as a stockman, and has property at Bayard, where, for one year before he retired, he was engaged in a real estate business. Mr. McKelvey passed through the hardships that attended the pioneers in the early eighties in this section of Nebraska, but he never became discouraged and now enjoys the fruits of his endurance and toil. He has been active in the Republican party both before and since locating at Bayard, has served in public office and was an exceedingly useful member of the first county board of commissioners. In every way, for years, he has done much to further the interests of Morrill county.
In 1892 Mr. McKelvey was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Webb, who was born in Clark county, Illinois. During the great war, Mr. McKelvey was foremost in patriotic work and was particularly active and interested in the Y. M. C. A. activities and was chairman of the local board.
HENRY E. RANDALL. -- To the pleasant town of Bayard have come many men of ample fortune after many years of toil and financial struggle, finding here well earned ease with agreeable surroundings and pleasant companionship. These retired farmers and stockmen are desirable citizens in every respect and form a solid, dependable body that adds to the community's resources and gives assistance in the maintenance of law and order. One of the highly respected retired residents of Bayard is Henry E. Randall, who is well known all over Morrill county. Mr. Randall was born in Trempealeau county, Wisconsin, April 25, 1869.
The parents of Mr. Randall were James M. and Lucy (Hasson) Randall, the former of whom was born in Michigan, and the latter in New York. They were married in Wisconsin, this being the father's second union. Three children of his first marriage survive, namely: Charles, who is a miner in Nevada; Otis, who lives near Bridgeport, and Mrs. Elmer Hathaway, who is a resident of Morrill. Three children were born to the father's second marriage: Henry E., Dean and Arthur. Dean is a farmer near Melbeta in Scottsbluff county, Nebraska, and Arthur has been a mail carrier at Gering for a number of years. The father survives and resides at Gering. He is a member of the G. A. R. post there, having served in the Civil War as a member of Company I, Thirty-sixth Wisconsin Infantry. The family came to Nebraska in 1886, and the mother died here.
Henry E. Randall obtained his education in the public schools of Minnesota, where his parents lived for a time before coming to Nebraska. In the spring of 1886 the family reached what now is Morrill county, Cheyenne at that time, and in 1886 he homesteaded and kept the property until quite recently when he sold to advantage. As opportunity offered he bought other land and at one time owned 800 acres, his farms, four in number, being situated at different points. On one of these farms Mr. Randall lived for twenty-five years and during that time was an extensive raiser of cattle and stock. He retired to Bayard in March, 1916, and is a stockholder and one of the directors of the Farmers State Bank.
In 1891 Mr. Randall was united in marriage to Miss Melissa Belden, who was born in Kansas, and they have three children: Gerald, Gladys and Mack, the youngest son being yet in school. The one daughter is the wife of Merl Garwood, of Morrill county. The eldest son of Mr. Randall has an honorable military record. He was born July 24, 1895, was educated in Morrill county, and entered military service for action in the World War, 1917. He was attached to six different training camps, namely: Waco, Kelly, Field, and others, and at the time the armistice was signed with the enemy, was at Port Sill and at Lee Hall, Virginia, just ready to sail for France. Since his discharge and return home, he has gladly resumed peaceful pursuits and has a place with the working force in the sugar factory.
Mr. Randall was quite active in Republican politics for many years and as a member of
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller