NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




in which he is still engaged, being one of the well known, prosperous and substantial men of his community, standing high in the esteem of his friends, acquaintances and business associates by reason of his integrity, high moral level and the fact that his word is as good as his bond. Mr. Alvis is an adherent of the principles of the Democratic party while his fraternal associations are with the Modern Woodmen of America, an organization in which he takes a prominent part.
   William Alvis received excellent educational advantages in the public schools near his father's farm in Iowa, thus laying the foundation for the higher studies which he has since pursued both in educational institutions and by himself as he is a wide reader of the best English literature, and the many periodicals of the country as well as the special lines connected with his editorial work. Reared in an agricultural environment the boy early learned the practical side of farm life and was a youthful but expert farmer while still in school, as he early assumed many of the duties on the home place that his strength and age permitted. William was only fifteen years old when the family came to Scottsbluff county, here he continued to reside at home and ably assisted in establishing a new farm on the land his father had taken from the government, but as he studied and considered the future, the boy did not see himself as a farmer; his tastes were literary not agricultural, and wisely following that profession toward which his mentality led, he entered the realm of journalism and after thoroughly acquainting himself with both the editorial and business departments of a newspaper, Mr. Alvis purchased the Morrill Mail from George Mark. At the time of the transfer the paper had a subscription list of only about two hundred subscribers, but the young manager at once set out to remedy this defect. He introduced modern methods, replacing the old Washington press with a new power driven one, at once changed the style of the publication, inaugurating the latest manner of make up and soon the number of subscribers began to climb until today he has a circulation extending throughout Scottsbluff county and is producing a well printed, well edited sheet, with clean, live, authentic news, timely editorials and interesting locals. His efforts to give the people a good readable newspaper have evidently been appreciated, and he is well supported in an advertising way by the merchants and professional men of Morrill In connection with his newspaper, Mr. Alvis has a well equipped job department, and turns out all manner of high class job printing.
   Mr. Alvis was married to Miss Goldie Shofstall of Jefferson, Nebraska, July 31, 1912, and to them three children have been born: Melba L., Elden R., and Kathleen, all of whom have a bright future in store for them as their parents are determined to give them every advantage in a social and educational way that the state of Nebraska has to offer.
   Independent in his life work and business it is but natural that Mr. Alvis should think independently along political lines and is an avowed Independent.

   PETER VONBURG, the subject of this record, has the distinction of being the third man to file on a homestead in the Morrill district for he came to Cheyenne county in 1887 and on the 3rd of April recorded his land entry for a claim on land where the town of Morrill now stands. Mr. Vonburg is descended from a long line of sturdy, thrifty Scandinavian ancestors, as his father was a Swede. It was these hardy Norsemen of the sea countries who first discovered America and it is to these countries that the United States is indebted for such a large element of her best immigrant population, as they have been pioneer settlers in many of the best agricultural sections of the country and it is through their industry, hard work and foresight that so many broad acres of this land have been made to yield a bountiful crop where once were the rolling unproductive prairies, the "American Desert and Stake Plains" of the historian of an earlier day. Peter Vonburg is a native of Illinois, born in Knox county, June 19, 1865, being the son of John and Sarah Vonburg, both natives of Sweden, where they were reared, educated and married. The father was a stone mason, a trade he learned in his native land and followed there for some years before emigrating to America. He had heard of the many opportunities to be obtained in the United States from some of his returned countrymen and when he perceived that there was little ahead of him in his native land but hard work for a bare living, he left the land of his birth to sail for the new world to there carve out a career and fortune for himself and his family. After landing on our shores he came to Chicago, Illinois, where he at once obtained employment at his trade, subsequently removing to Knoxville, Illinois, to follow the same vocation. There were eight children in the family, five of whom are living: Eber, who resides in Illinois; John, also lives in that state;



Eli, whose home is in Knoxville; Tilda, the wife of Charles Bjlgren, who died at Wilmer, Minnesota; and Peter. The father and mother were both members of the Lutheran church, while John Vonburg was affiliated with the Republican party.
   The children of the family were sent to the excellent public schools which this generous land affords and in Knoxville, Peter received the academic training and laid the foundation for the good practical education that has been of great value to him in his business life. He remained in Illinois for one year after attaining his majority, but like all the youth of the land, in the early eighties heard of the many advantages to be had, as well as adventures, in the lands lying west of the Missouri, and as the country was well settled up in Illinois, and land high in price for that time, he came west in 1887, locating in Nebraska on the townsite of the present thrifty town of Morrill and little did he realize that his homestead was to become the location of so progressive a community within a few decades. Mr. Vonburg proved up on his claim, put upon it good and permanent improvements, and engaged in general farming and stock-raising. He passed through the hard and discouraging years of drought, insect pests and the winter blizzards that killed his stock, but "stuck it out" and has had his reward for today he is one of the largest landed proprietors in this section so well known for its progressive and prosperous agriculturists, who have so nobly responded within the recent years to the demand for increased production. Mr. Vonburg has made a deep study of farming and its allied industries and was one of the first men of the valley to advocate irrigation and put into practice intensive farming methods that have brought him such gratifying returns for his labor and the study which he has devoted to his chosen vocation. Today he owns 680 acres of land and leases 600 more, nearly all of which is under ditch, and as he believes that high-grade stock brings the greatest returns, has nothing else on his farm. He has fine substantial buildings for the various necessities of his business and a good convenient modern home. While Mr. Vonburg has never had the time or inclination to take an active part in politics, he gives his support to the Republican party, coöperates with his fellow citizens in the furtherance of measures advanced for the general welfare of the community, and is loyal to all civic duties and responsibilities. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic order, as he is a thirty-second degree Mason. Mr. Vonburg stands head and shoulders above the average farmer of the west, for he is the representative of progress and thus is an example for the community in which he lives for by his very manner of life and the conduct of his business he has had great influence in introducing modern methods and equipment into the most favored agricultural section of Nebraska.

    ALFRED J. STEWART, M. D., a man of distinguished intellectual and professional attainments, high ability and ideals, came to Nebraska nearly a quarter of a century ago and it has been given him to wield large and benignant influence, not only as one of the early surgeons and physicans (sic) of this state but also as a man of affairs and a citizen whose civic loyalty and exceptional talents have made him a most influential factor in public affairs since locating in the Panhandle and especially in Mitchell and the county adjacent. Dr. Stewart was born at Maquoketa, Iowa, March 22, 1868.
   While he was still a small boy the family moved to a farm near Marion, that state, so that Alfred was reared in a fine healthy environment, early learning the value of thrift and when his strength and age permitted began to assume many of the duties about the home place. He was sent to the public school nearest his home for his elementary education but as he early decided upon a professional career entered Cornell college, at Mount Vernon, Iowa, to complete the required studies for entrance at the medical college. The fall after finishing his college course at Cornell, Dr. Stewart matriculated at the Hahnemann Medical college, Chicago, Illinois, took a three year course in that institution, receiving his degree in 1896. Within a sort time he had chosen a location at David City, Nebraska, where he opened an office and began the active practice of his profession. Dr. Stewart had some of the early hard years that every physician does, but soon won the confidence of the people, had a sympathetic and courteous manner that won him patients and friends so that his practice grew rapidly and he was soon regarded as one of the leaders of the medical fraternity in David City and the surrounding territory. Desiring to keep tip with the progress made each year in the medical profession, which could not be done by reading alone, Dr. Stewart entered the graduate department of the medical school of the University of Illinois in 1905, where he took a year's course in the special branches in which he desired to fur-



ther perfect himself, being graduated from that medical department of the university in the early summer of 1906. Almost immediately after returning to Nebraska, he came to Mitchell, opened an office and has been in continuous practice here since that time. Within a short time he had built up an extensive practice ranging over a large radius of the surrounding country. He devoted himself earnestly and unselfishly to the alleviation of suffering under conditions that in the early day involved arduous work. He gained the affectionate regard of the citizens of Mitchell and the community which he served and today has one of the largest practices in the county.
   In 1895 Dr. Stewart married Miss Natie Woodward, who died in 1901, leaving one daughter, Carol, who now is the wife of Paul Pattorf, of South Dakota. In 1906 the Doctor was married again to Miss Harriet Platte, a charming and gracious woman who is the chatelaine of the hospitable home maintained by the doctor, where the latch string ever hangs out for their many warm friends.
   Since coming to Mitchell, the doctor has taken an active and interested part in all public affairs though he has never aspired or had time to hold public office, as all his time and energy is demanded by the duties of his profession, but he is one of the fine citizens who is ever ready to help in promoting any movement for the development or benefit of the county and the city of Mitchell, giving freely of time and money in all good and laudable movements. In political belief he is a liberal Republican, believing that the best man should be elected to local office, the one best fitted to serve the people well. Prominent in Masonic circles, Dr. Stewart has taken all the degrees up to the Shrine and is one of the prominent Shriners of the northwestern part of Nebraska, He is a member of the Scottsbluff County Medical Association, the Nebraska State Medical Association and the American Medical Association.

    GEORGE E. MARK, one of the self made men of the Panhandle who today is the owner of one of the journals of the northwestern section of Nebraska, which has had a large part in the moulding of public opinion in this section is the owner and editor of the Mitchell Index, one of the cleanest, most fearless and progressive newspapers of the state.
   Mr. Mark was born in Chautauqua county, New York, March 14, 1866, the son of David and Delilah H. (Durfee) Mark, both natives of the Empire state, so that Mr. Mark is descended from a long line of colonial ancestors who took an important part in the development of the New England states. His ancestors on both his father's and his mother's sides were colonial residents and the male members of the families were all soldiers of the Revolution. With his parents he came to Nebraska in 1872, his father taking up a homestead in Thayer county, on which he proved up, developed it, and which he sold a short time before moving to Gering, in Scottsbluff county, in 1899. David Mark spent a useful and constructive life which closed in November, 1900. He is survived by his widow who now makes her home with her son. George was reared on his father's farm, early beginning to help around the home place in the summer vacations while during the winter terms he attended the district school nearest his home. Subsequently he entered the Hebron high school, from which he graduated. While still a youth of only eighteen years he began his. independent financial career as a teacher in the country schools. He saved some money from his salary and as he had already learned that the best equipment a man can have for his life work is a good education determined to take a higher course, and with this in view matriculated at Fairfield college, where he took special courses along the lines which most interested him. In the fall of 1893, still following his chosen profession of teaching, he moved to Gering in Scottsbluff county, having accepted the position of principal of the city schools. At the same time he determined to take advantage of the fine opportunity to secure a good farm, so filed a homestead near Gering, on which he proved up. In 1896, Mr. Mark purchased the Nebraska Homestead, which had been published for some time at Gering, as he had a natural aptitude for journalism and the work was congenial to him, more so than the teaching profession, and at the same time it gave him opportunity to bring to the attention of the people many things to their advantage. Mr. Mark acted as publisher and editor, which under his able management developed into one of the strong and influential journals. In April, 1901, Mr. Mark moved his printing plant to Mitchell and started the Index, as he saw there was a good opening here for a live, up-to-date paper and his wisdom in this move has been justified, for he now has a large subscription list which extends all over Scottsbluff county. In addition he has built up a large and profitable job print



ing business. He conducts one of the cleanest, most independent and out-spoken sheets in the Panhandle, with well written editorials upon timely and interesting subjects, many good locals and the latest telegraph news. During the war he was able to give the subscribers exceptionally good service with reference to the movements in Europe which they appreciated, especially after the United States entered the conflict.
   On Spetember (sic) 1, 1902, Mr. Mark was married at Bayard, Nebraska, to Miss Maggie L. Wells, a native of Missouri, where she was reared and educated. Three children have been born to them: Eldridge D., Margaret and George E., jr. In politics Mr. Mark is an adherent of the Democratic principles, but is, not bound in local affairs by strict party lines, as be advocates the best man for office when it comes to serving the people. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and with his wife is a member of the Christian church.

    WILLIAM MARLIN, who may be termed one of the pioneers of Scottsbluff, as he built one of the first houses in the place, has been a farmer almost all his life, and a resident of Nebraska for forty-three years. He has witnessed great changes in that time and has done his part in agricultural development.
   William Marlin was born in Franklin county, Indiana, February 19, 1852. His parents were Charles and Mary (Ralf) Marlin, the former of whom was born in New Jersey and the latter in New York. The father was a farmer in Indiana and died there at the age of seventy-two years. The mother came to Nebraska and died in Frontier county at the age of seventy years. Their family consisted of three daughters and five sons, William being the second born.
   In the country schools near his father's farm in Indiana, William Marlin obtained his schooling. He grew up on the home farm and remained in Indiana until he was twenty-four years of age, then came to Nebraska, settling first near Red Cloud, in Webster county. Two years later, however, he moved to a safer section, in Frontier county and homesteaded there. For twenty-two years Mr. Marlin resided on his homestead, developing and improving it, and then moved to Scottsbluff, induced to some extent to come into town in order to give his children better educational advantages. As one of the early settlers here, he has been concerned in many ways with the town's progress. He owns his own comfortable residence here and also has one hundred and sixty acres of irrigated land.
   Mr. Marlin was married December 24, 1875 to Miss Amanda Ray, who was born in Decatur county Indiana, and the following children have been born to them: John, a farmer living near Scottsbluff; Dore R., lives on a farm near Scottsbluff; Jesse H., also a farmer near Scottsbluff; Clifford, lives at Scottsbluff; Otis, who has seen six years service in the United States Marine corps, is a captain in rank and is now stationed in the Danish West Indies; Benjamin H., lives in Scottsbluff county; Cora, resides at home; Mrs. Lenora Ashbough, lives in the county; William, a farmer; and Viola, lives with her parents. Mrs. Marlin is a member of the Presbyterian church. In politics Mr. Marlin is a Republican but has never sought public office.

    I. W. NEWSUM is a native of North Carolina, born January 31, 1852, the son of Gillin and Amanda (Spease) Newsum. Both his parents were natives of North Carolina, and to them thirteen children were born, eight of whom are now living.
   After finishing his schooling in his native state, Mr. Newsum engaged in farming. Coming to western Nebraska in 1886, he took a homestead south of the present town of McGrew and lived through the experiences that were common to all the early settlers of those days. He farmed and raised stock, and after a successful term of years in that enterprise he has taken advantage of a well earned rest and disposed of his ranch, now owning only ten acres of land on which is located a comfortable home.
   October 6, 1889, he was married to Mrs. Mary Minces, whose maiden name was Mary Lee, and who had formerly been married to Isaac L. Minces and had two children, Leonard, who now resides at Bayard; and Harry, who was killed by lightning in 1906.
   Mr. Newsum is a Republican in politics and a member of the United Brethren church. He recalls many experiences of the pioneer days before the Black Hills line of the Burlington Railroad was built, when he had to haul his grain to Sidney or Alliance. In those times people were few and money was scarce, but he, like the others who stayed with it, has lived to see the time when population and wealth have multiplied many times over and the community that was once a sparsely settled range country is now one of the richest.

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller