Resource Center, On-Line Library
MR. AND MRS. WILLIAM L. WALLACE
mother moved to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where her death occurred in 1908.
Frank E. Campbell had country school advantages in Kimball county, but much of his time in boyhood was given to herding cattle. Later he homesteaded in Lawrence Forks Valley, in Banner county, lived on his land for five years and proved up, residing for about eight years in that county. In 1894 he sold his ranch to his brother-in-law, J. E. Bevington. After leaving the ranch Mr. Campbell went to Potter, where he started a billiard room and soft drink establishment, conducting this business there until March, 1918, when he came to Dix. Here he went into the business on a larger scale and now has well equipped billiard parlors, which are well patronized by lovers of this form of pleasant exercise, and he also conducts a confectionery and soft drink business.
Mr. Campbell was reared in the Roman Catholic faith and has always been sincere in his church relations. He has never married. Not particularly active in a political way, nevertheless Mr. Campbell is a good citizen and as a "booster" has done much of Dix, being ever ready to co-operate with other enterprising citizens in movements for the general welfare. Mr. Campbell is a member of the order of Modern Woodmen at Dix.
WILLIAM L. WALLACE, one of the early settlers of the North Platte valley, was born in Marshall county, Indiana, April 8, 1867, the son of M. F. and Nellie (Ada) Wallace. There were eleven children in the family, of whom six are livinng (sic), namely: Frank, of Scottsbluff, Nebraska; Etta, of Hastings; Edward, living in California; John, of Alliance, Nebraska; Julius, of Hastings, Nebraska; and the subject of this sketch. The family moved to Hastings, Nebraska, in the spring of 1873, and there the father took a homestead and followed general farming. Both the father and mother are still living on the old home place near Hastings.
Mr. Wallace received his education in Hastings, and after completing his schooling he farmed for a year at that place, then came West in 1886 and homesteaded on Snake creek in 1888. He followed the stock business for a lumber of years, moving his family to Scottsbluff after it was started. In the cattle business he met with excellent success, and a few years ago he bought the Henry State Bank, at Henry, Nebraska and now devotes his attention to the banking business. With a capital of $10,000.00, this institution has deposits of $125,000.00 and a surplus of $2,000.00, and Mr. Wallace is on the fair road in the banking business to repeat his success in the stock business.
He was married in October, 1889, to Nellie Gaddis, a native of Indiana, and their union has been blessed with eight children, namely: Florence, now Mrs. J. C. Williams, of Henry, Nebraska., where Mr. Williams is in the drug business; Willo, now Mrs. Arthur Selzer, of Scottsbluff; Bessie, who is employed in her father's bank; Dorothy, Wilbur, Shirley, Neal, and Helen, all at home.
Mr. and Mrs. Wallace are attendants of the M. E. church. Mr. Wallace is an independent Democrat in politics and a member of the A. O. U. W. He has always been recognized as an enterprising and honorable man, taking an active part in public affairs and wielding the influence that goes with prominence and high standing in the community.
CHARLES L. BOGLE, who owns and conducts the leading general mercantile business at Bushnell, was born in Gosper county, Nebraska, May 4, 1889, a son of J. W. Bogle, for many years one of Kimball county's most respected citizens.
Charles L. Bogle attended the country schools near his father's ranch in boyhood, later taking a business course in a commercial college at Grand Island. In 1908 he came to Bushnell and went into the mercantile business with his father, that association lasting until 1913, when, in partnership with his brother-in-law, he bought the elder Bogle interest. In 1914 he bought his partner's interest and since then has been sole proprietor. Mr. Bogle carries a stock worth $20,000, consisting of general merchandise, additional features being a meat market and confectionery store. Being energetic and a good business man, Mr. Bogle has continued the expansion of his enterprise and is doing a large and profitable business.
In 1912 Mr. Bogle was united in marriage to Miss Flora Snyder, and they have three children: Charles L., Dora Mildred and John V.
Mrs. Bogle is a daughter of James M. and Elizabeth (Shanks) Snyder, who now live comfortably retired in Furnas county, Nebraska. The father of Mr. Bogle was born near Columbus, Ohio, in 1842 and served as a soldier in the Civil War as a member of the Forty-fourth Indiana volunteer infantry. His venerable mother still survives, residing at Columbia, Indiana, in her ninety-ninth year. The mother of Mrs. Bogle was born in 1850 in Whitley county, Indiana, and her mother was a second cousin of Abraham Lincoln, through the Shanks connection. Mr. and Mrs.
Snyder had a family of four daughters and two sons, namely: Rosa, who is the wife of Frank Bogle, of Bushnell, Nebraska; Inez, who is the wife of Archie Deen, of Bushnell; Dora, who is the wife of Walter Rogers, a homesteader in Wyoming; Flora, who is Mrs. Charles L. Bogle, of Bushnell; Roy, who is a farmer; and Clarence, a returned overseas soldier of the great war. He received his military training at Camp Cody before sailing for France, where he served bravely for sixty-two days on the front line. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder are members of the Christian church at Edison, Nebraska. Mr. Bogle has never found time to be very active in politics but he is a good citizen and highly esteemed.
EMORY C. HOWE, who is a prosperous business man of Bushnell, owes his success in life to natural ability and also to his faculty of making and keeping friends. He was born August 2, 1883, in Nemaha county, Nebraska, a son of Seymour and Ellen Howe. The Howe family has been so highly regarded in that section, that one of the flourishing towns of Nemaha county bears the name of Howe.
The father of Emory C. Howe was born in the state of New York and the mother in Illinois. Both came to Nebraska when young and were married in Nemaha county. The following children were born to them: Adelia, who is the wife of C. R. Russell, a farmer and ranchman in Nemaha county; Charles, who follows the carpenter trade in that county; Eugene, who is in the real estate business at Weatherford, Oklahoma; Ambrose, who is a traveling salesman with home at Council Bluffs, Iowa; and Emory C., who was educated and lived in Nemaha county until December, 1914, at which time he came to Bushnell, Here Mr. Howe went into the automobile business handling Buick cars, which has become a growing concern. He is now erecting a first class modern garage of brick construction, two stories high, with many square feet of floor space and fine display room for the Buick cars, of which he is sole agent. In addition to his other responsibilities, Mr. Howe is deputy sheriff.
On March 12, 1907, Mr. Howe was united in marriage to Miss Geneva West, a daughter of Jacob and Alice West, who came from Missouri to Nebraska in 1900 and now reside at Salem.
WOODFORD G. JONES, who now lives in comfortable retirement at Bushnell, came to Nebraska thirty-five years ago. During early years in the state, Mr. and Mrs. Jones saw much hardship and they had some losses which necessitated hard work and economy, but early conditions passed away and they have lived to enjoy the fruits of their industry.
Woodford G. Jones was born at Centerville, Iowa, April 28, 1857, a son of Woodford and Louisa Jones. Attending school near the home farm in boyhood, Woodford G. Jones took charge when his father died and operated the farm for his mother and sister as long as he remained in Iowa. In 1884 he came to Nebraska and homesteaded eight miles south of Dix, in Kimball county. There was but a poor shelter on the place and when a blizzard that lasted three days set in following their arrival, they had to take advantage of every expedient to keep warm, all remaining in bed until the snow was so deep there that Mr. Jones had to shovel it off. Happily they had enough beans and corn dodgers to keep them from being hungry and in that way were more fortunate than many of their pioneer neighbors. Mr. Jones had previously had a serious experience in one of the sudden blizzards that sometimes unexpectedly swept over the country, during which he stumbled and was lost in the snow through a whole night between Dix and Kimball, finally being rescued and cared for by Henry Warner. During that winter Mr. Jones could not find work and in the emergency he remained at home and took care of the children while Mrs. Jones went to Kimball, fifteen miles distant, where she worked in the hotel for $4 a week, high wages for that day, and walked the distance home when she made a visit. Water had to be hauled eight miles and when one of the team of horses died, Mr. Jones carried half of the neck yoke and as much as possible eased the work of the remaining horse.
At length Mr. Jones accepted an offer and sold the homestead for $500, a property that would bring $8,000 today. He moved then to Custer county and bought land for $10 an acre but through the lapse of a mortgage, they lost that farm but later bought another in Custer county, on which they lived for twenty-five years. Mr. Jones then sold that property and they came back to Kimball county near Bushnell, but one year later Mr. Jones sold that farm to his son-in-law, Ralph Taylor, and came to Bushnell, where they are people held in high esteem.
In 1875 Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Henrietta Rucker, who was born in Iowa, and they became the parents of the folowing (sic) children: Eva, who is the wife of
Ralph Taylor, a rancher in Kimball county; Woodford Robert, who married Charity Hammond of Custer and now lives nine miles north of Bushnell and has one and one-half sections of land; Maud, Mrs. Hammond, who is in charge of the Central telephone office at Bushnell; and May, Pay and Ray, triplets, the last named being deceased. Both May and Pay are married, the former being Mrs. Coons, and the latter Mrs. Stuckert. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
JACOB PEDRETT, who is one of Kimball's most highly esteemed citizens, is widely known in the state and is one of Kimball county's heavy land owners. The story of his life since coming to America is exceedingly interesting.
Jacob Pedrett was born in Kanton Graeubunden, Switzerland, November 7, 1856, a son of Ulrich and Vieda Pedrett. The father was a farmer, cattle grower and dairyman, his milk business being important and profitable. He had a contract with a local hotel for eighty gallons of milk a day and sometimes sold one hundred and twenty gallons, probably when the tourist trade was at its height. The father died in 1887, having been an invalid for some eighteen years previously. The mother of Mr. Pedrett communicated the fact to her son in America but before the latter received the letter, she also had passed away, having survived the father only fourteen days. Their family consisted of but one son, Jacob, and the following daughters: Elizabeth, who died at the age of twenty-two years; Fieda who is married, lives in the old home in Switzerland and has five children; Cristena, on the old homestead; Magdelenia, is the only one who came to America, with four children, in June, 1920, and is living on the Pedrett farm; and Marie, who lived to the age of eighteen years. All the children are well educated and before Jacob Pedrett came to America, he was proficient in the Italian and German languages.
In his own land Mr. Pedrett gave military service according to the law, between the age of twenty and thirty years, and he had reached the latter age when he came to the United States, on the ship Normandie, which landed him safely in the harbor of New York. He came across the country to Hastings, Nebraska, where he found work as a cheesemaker, having brought his diploma as to his efficiency in this industry. For one summer he worked in Webster county for his board, in the meanwhile using every effort to learn the English language, but in the fall he returned to Hastings. There he rented a dairy farm and went into the business of making cheese. He operated with thirty-six cows and his bargain included one-half of the proceeds from his factory, together with the stock increases. Mr. Pedrett remained on that farm from 1887 to 1890, coming then to Kimball county, bringing along ten cows and two horses. He homesteaded in the same district in which he served as a school director later on for twenty-nine continuous years.
Here Mr. Pedrett resumed the making of cheese, in 1891 he and his wife milking forty-one cows, some of them being rented, the rental being paid in cheese. He found this arrangement profitable. He has always grown some wheat but has given the most attention to thoroughbred Hereford cattle, at times having owned two hundred and seventy-five head of registered stock and also has fed unregistered, doing business under the firm name of Pedrett & Clarke. At the present time he owns two full sections of land and other tracts, aggregating about sixteen thousand acres, general farming being carried on an extensive scale.
On March 31, 1887, Mr. Pedrett was united in marriage to Miss Marie Louisa Grothaus, a daughter of William and Katherine Grothaus, who came to the United States and to Hastings, Nebraska, in 1885, from Westphalia, Germany. To Mr. and Mrs. Pedrett the following children were born: Ulrich, who was born December 28, 1887, who was in military training at Camp Funston, during the great war, was honorably discharged, as quartermaster sergeant; Fieda, who is the wife of Clyde Taylor, is a graduate of the Kimball county high school, lives on the farm in Kimball county and has three children, Harry, Ruth and James; Louisa, who is a student in the Nebraska State University, has been graduated in the department of typewriting and shorthand and taught in the high school at Superior, Nebraska; Willis, who died at the age of six years; and Harry who is a graduate, like his eldest brother, of the high school and the Agricultural college at Lincoln. Mr. Pedrett and his family are members of the Presbyterian church. He has always been active in public affairs and has served in many public capacities, holding such offices as road overseer and county commissioner. He has assisted in the building of three school structures, the latest erected in his school district being a modern two-room building, two teachers being employed and sixty-five children attending.
Mr. Pedrett is president of the State Potato Growers Improvement Association, and a director of Nebraska State Farm Bureau association, and is treasurer of the local farm bureau, and also president of the Beet Growers association of Kimball county.
EMORY HORRUM, whose interests cover farming, stockraising, banking and other lines of business, is one of Kimball county's most prominent young men of affairs. He is a native of Nebraska, born June 25, 1886, at Dunbar, where his parents now live retired. He is a son of Lyman T. and Claudia Horrum, and he has one sister, Della May, who is the wife of Montgomery Lowery, a substantial farmer near Dunbar.
After completing the high school course at Dunbar, Mr. Horrum went to Lincoln and completed a commercial course in a business college there. It was in February, 1915, that he came to Kimball county, where he has made heavy investments in land, aggregating over eleven thousand acres. This land is cultivated in a modern way, farm tractors being made use of together with improved machinery of all kinds. Mr. Horrum is much interested in raising thoroughbred Hereford cattle. He has been largely concerned in the development and improvement of Dix, owning one hundred acres in town lots, the Horrum addition to Dix, and has built and sold some handsome residences in this part of the rapidly growing town.
Mr. Horrum was one of the organizers of the Farmers State Bank of Dix, of which he is vice president. He is associated in this financial enterprise with Gus Linn, George Vogler and Philip Nelson. The original capital was $10,000, which has been increased to $25,000. Mr. Horrum was president of the Dix Mercantile Company, which occupies a handsome brick building of modern construction, and plans are under way for the carrying of one of the largest stocks of general merchandise in this section of the state.
On October 8, 1910, Mr. Horrum was united in marriage to Miss Esther Tell, who, is a daughter of Francis and Catherine Tell, well known retired residents of Omaha. Mr. and Mrs. Horrum have had two children, both of whom passed away in their infancy. The Presbyterian church holds their membership. Mr. Horrum is a Thirty-second degree Mason.
JULIUS J. JOHNSON, who is one of the large farmers and stockraisers of Kimball county and one of the representative, solid citizens, was born in the province of Halland, Sweden, a son of Jons Larson and Johanna Johnson, who died on their farm in Sweden, the former in 1902 and the latter in 1912.
Julius J. Johnson was born May 21, 1859, grew up on the home farm in Sweden, in the meantime attending school as opportunity offered. A thoughtful, sensible young man, by the time he was twenty-two years old, he had made up his mind to emigrate to America, in which country, as he learned from others, there were many chances for a young man without any capital but his industry, to acquire financial independence. When he landed in the United States he had $12 in his pocket, which paid his way from New York City to southern Illinois, where he found work with a railroad company, going from there to Sheridan, Michigan, fifteen miles south of Big Rapids. Afterward for three years he worked in the railroad shops in Chicago, at the end of that time coming to Nebraska. He homesteaded in Kimball county on a part of the same ranch that he now owns, proved up, kept on adding one tract of land after another until he now owns over seventeen hundred acres. He runs about one hundred head of cattle, all good grade Herefords, and has two hundred acres under the plow. Mr. Johnson has every reason to feel satisfied with his determination made so many years ago, to become a resident and citizen of the United States.
In 1889 Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Ida C. Strandberg, a daughter of Jonas and Christina Strandberg, who came from Sweden to the United States in 1885 and homesteaded in Nebraska. The father of Mrs. Johnson died in 1900 and the mother in 1901. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, namely; Alma I., who is a student in the high school at Dix; Hilda M., who is also a high school student; Carl A., who has reached the high school also; and Leonard J. and Verner O., who are in the grade schools. Mr. Johnson and family are members of the First Lutheran church at Potter. He has many times been honored by election to public office by his fellow citizens. At one time, while working at Dix, he served as postmaster. For two terms he served as township assessor, for several terms was road overseer, and at present is treasurer of the school board. In every office he has proved efficient and trustworthy.
WHITCOMB BROTHERS. -- There are not many people in Kimball county who have not heard of the Whitcomb Brothers, extensive wheat farmers, who operate so successfully their extensive property entirely by
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller