Resource Center, On-Line Library
gaged in stock-raising. After his farm was in satisfactory condition Mr. Garrett opened an office in Morrill, in partnership with Nichols and Carpenter, the firm handling real estate. He continued to carry on these varied business lines until his death, being survived by his wife who still resides in Morrill. Mrs. Garrett is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, while during his life her husband attended with her. Mr. Garrett was a Republican in politics. There were five children in the family: H. R., on a farm near Morrill; Vincent, the subject of this review, John A., a Sioux county farmer; E. E., also farming in Scottsbluff county; and Roy J., engaged in farming with E. E. Vincent lived with his parents on the farm in Colorado, attended the public schools of his district where he laid an excellent foundation for his higher education. Both he and his father were ambitious for his success in life and after the boy graduated from the public school he matriculated in the State Agricultural college of Colorado as he had decided on farming as his life vocation and realized that the best equipment for it would insure a success not to be otherwise obtained. Mr. Garrett finished the long agricultural course and then, after his studies were completed, came to Sioux county in 1906, took up a homestead of eighty acres and there at once began to put into execution both the practical knowledge he had gained as a boy on the farm and the theoretical ideas of tile college experts. The land he chose is located in section 28, township 24-57. He placed the land under cultivation, established good improvements in the way of buildings and then erected a fine home, as he was married the year he located on the farm. All Mr. Garrett's land is under ditch as he was too far sighted and too well up on the subject of his business to think of farming without assured success. From first locating in the valley he has put into practice the modern methods advocated by the professors of the college and the state and government experts and as a result has achieved success far beyond that of most young farmers of the section which does not lack for capable and prosperous members of the agricultural profession. Mr. Garrett has specialized in raising potatoes and as his farm began to produce abundantly entered into the produce business in partnership with his brothers in Morrill, where he has erected a warehouse with a capacity of sixty thousand bushels and ship in car load lots. He has the distinction of having shipped the first car of potatoes out of Morrill. Now they are associated with the Albert Miller Produce Company of Chicago and ship from two hundred and fifty to three hundred carload lots of potatoes out of the valley yearly. Mr. Garrett well typifies the benefit to the farmer of a special course in his business and today is one of the pushing, energetic members of the younger generation of business men who are making history in the Panhandle and demonstrating that irrigation is to be the salvation of the farmer on the semi-arid reaches of the high plains of this and neighboring states.
Having such an excellent academic training Mr. Garrett is not a man to let others do his thinking for him and on state and national questions takes an independent stand in politics and is one of the most prominent members of the Independent faction. He votes for the man he believes will honestly give the voters the best service. His wife is a member of the Presbyterian church to which they are liberal subscribers.
In 1906, Mr. Garrett married Miss Grace J. Kernohan, a native daughter of Nebraska, born at Grand Island. Her father was J. P. Kernohan, now a resident of Delta, Colorado. Six children have been born to this union: Esther, Ross, Samuel, Clarence and Clyde, twins, and Hubert, all of whom are still at home and for whom a bright future is in store as their parents are well to do and will give them every advantage in a social and educational way that the state of Nebraska affords to establish them in life.
CHARLES B. FOSTER.-- Few of the pioneers of Nebraska have passed through more character building experiences, faced greater hardships, overcome more obstacles and in the end gained greater results than Charles Foster. His life is typical of the courageous, persevering spirit which brought about the settlement and development of the West, and he has won his way unaided from a man whose only capital consisted of his hand, a high courage and the determination to wrest a competence from the soil, directly or indirectly as the case might be. In the early days when the Panhandle was yet the frontier, he was a cowboy, buffalo hunter, ranchman, and later became the owner of considerable landed estate which today places him among the prosperous and substantial residents of the Morrill valley.
Mr. Foster was born in Orange county, Vermont, January 26, 1956, the son of Gardner N. and Olive (Chapin) Foster, both natives of
the same state where they were reared, educated and married. The family lived in Union Village, where the children were born, and where the father plied his vocation of carpenter as long as he took an active part in business life. The Foster family were members of the Methodist Episcopal church in which they were active workers. Frederick, the youngest child is deceased while Charles has become a resident of Nebraska. The latter was reared in Union Village, and attended the public schools. When the rumor of the discovery of gold swept over the country many of the youths of the eastern states came west to gain a fortune as they hoped in the Black Hills. Mr. Foster was one of these who determined to hazard his fortune in the Dakota gold field and joined a party of fifty men who were going there to dig but he stopped in Cheyenne on the way, liked the town and remained there for a year. He began to enjoy the free open life of the country and as this period was the time when the great, rich cattle barons were gaining fortunes from the vast herds that ranged from Texas to Montana he became enamoured of the cowboy's life and joined one of the big outfits, the CY company with headquarters on Horse Creek, Wyoming. Mr. Foster adapted himself to the life of the cattle camps, road herd and spent many seasons drifting cattle from the early spring range north throughout the summer months to the markets in the north in the fall. He displayed great ability in handling men and cattle and for seventeen years was associated with the same company. He realized that the future of the cattle industry was to lie in the hands of the farmer, that the day of the open range was doomed as settlement was ever encroaching on the pastures that were leased occasionally from the government and availed himself of the opportunity to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, and in 1892 filed on a claim of one hundred and sixty acres of Scottsbluff county land, located in township 22-58, section 3, a tract that had the advantage of being easily irrigated. Mr. Foster at once set about breaking his land, made good and substantial improvements on the farm. He engaged in diversified farming, planting the crops best adapted to the climate of this section and which thrived with good water. Having been in the cattle business for so many years he also established himself as a stock-raiser. As he prospered and his capital enabled him to do so, Mr. Foster bought more land adjoining the original farm until today he has a fine, well cultivated estate of four hundred acres, all under ditch, which gives him greater returns than two thousand acres would without water rights. Mr. Foster has taken a commendable interest in community affairs and has served as school moderator of his district and has served as treasurer of district number one for many years. Independent in politics, he casts his vote for the man he thinks best qualified for public office. Mrs. Foster is a member of the Christian church. Mr. Foster was superintendent of the Mitchell ditch for fourteen years.
April 10, 1889, registered the marriage of Mr. Foster and Miss Eunice Ray, the daughter of John and Caroline Ray. She was born in Indiana but accompanied her parents to this state when aged eight years, settling in an eastern county. In 1888, the family came to Scottsbluff county as Mr. Ray was appointed postmaster of Caldwell. Both parents of Mrs. Foster are now deceased. Six children came to brighten the Foster home circle: Edward, now at home, who was in government service during the World War, being attached to an ambulance corps in Italy; May, the wife of Bernard Andrews, of Bridgeport; Earl, who died in infancy; Harry, deceased, and Neal and Emmett also at home. Mr. Foster and his family are held in the highest esteem by a large circle of friends and are people of real genuine worth.
WALTER E. BAKER. -- Among the men who have contributed materially to the growth and development of the Panhandle since the pioneer settlement of this part of the state, one who has been an eye witness of, and participant in this great growth and progress is Walter E. Baker, who lives retired in Mitchell. Mr. Baker was one of the pioneers of the late seventies and a homesteader of the early eighties, as he accompanied his father to this section as a youth, and the greater part of his business career has been passed as a farmer and stockman. In whatever capacity he found himself, he always carried on his transactions and conducted himself personally in a manner that won and has held for him the respect and esteem of his fellows, so that his life history has been unmarked by stain or blemish, and today he stands as an example of what this wide western country can produce in manhood.
Walter E. Baker was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, March 25, 1862. His parents, were Cornelius and Jane (Belknap) Baker, the former of whom was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, March 27. 1827, who
died October 23, 1880. The latter was born in this same county October 23, 1833 and passed away May 4, 1868. The father was a farmer in Pennsylvania, emigrated from there to Indiana, when that state was considered near the frontier and then to Illinois, engaging in agricultural business in both states, where he was known as a substantial reliable business man. Mr. Baker was a natural pioneer, one of the men who have blazed the way for civilization and settlement. He was not afraid of the hardships, and privations incident to a new unsettled country and played an important part in developing the various sections in which he located. After spending some years in Illinois, Mr. Baker disposed of his farm there to good advantage and knowing of the broad stretches of government land to be had for the taking in Nebraska, where not only he, but his sons might take up land, came to Gosper county, in 1878, locating on a homestead south of the Platte, where he lived but two years before his death occurred. There were five children in the Baker family: Medella C. Bunce, the wife of J. P. Russell, of Birmingham, Alabama; Walter; William C.; Arthur C. Bunce, a physician of Omaha, Nebraska; and Benny J., of Mitchell, who is a veterinary surgeon. After the death of his first wife Mr. Baker married her sister in 1869, and it was she who assumed charge of the family. when the father died and ably she shouldered the burdens and proved up on the homestead. [NOTE: "Bunce" appears in the book as shown, perhaps it is an extra given name?]
Walter came west with his parents in 1878, a boy in years, and yet a man in his ability to carry on farm work and shoulder responsibilities as he was the oldest boy, and as his age and strength permitted took more and more of the work on the farm. He was ambitious to get ahead in the world and coming to Cheyenne county in 1885 saw the many opportunities, open to him to secure good farm land so in 1889 he filed on a claim of one hundred and sixty acres, and took up a tree claim. He placed the required improvements on the land in the first years, then made such others as he desired for himself, erected good and substantial farm buildings as were required for his stock and a good comfortable frontier home for himself and wife. Mr. Baker engaged in general farming and cattle-raising and met with success in both branches of his business. The Baker family passed through all the hard years on the plans, those of drought, blizzard and insect pests but both husband and wife were courageous, determined that they would win and "stuck it out," and that their faith in the country has been justified is attested by the comfortable fortune which they now possess. With the initiation of irrigation in the Platte valley, Mr. Baker was one of the first residents of the section to realize and advocate it as the salvation of this semi-arid section and today all his land is under ditch. From first locating in this section of the Panhandle Mr. Baker has taken an active and interested part in the development of the country and has advocated all civic and communal movements for the benefit of the community. In politics he is a staunch adherent of the principles of the Republican party to which he has belonged since casting his first vote, and served as county commissioner for three years. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while during the World War he was associated with all the movements inaugurated in the county to aid the government in the prosecution of the war.
January 22, 1891, marks the date of the marriage of Mr. Baker and Miss Alva Ray, the daughter of John Ray, who came west in 1888 and located in Scottsbluff county. Mrs. Baker was born in Indiana and died in Scottsbluff county September 19, 1915, having all the years of her married life been the able helper and loving wife and mother, who in her passing left a sorrowing family and many friends. There were nine children in the Baker family: Abbie E., the wife of William Gehrt; Bessie J., who married Lester Fox, of Scottsbluff county; Ruby H., married George Yocum, also of Scottsbluff; Ada M.., the wife of Perry Wright, who is at home keeping house for her father; Dora M., Alice F., Mary Bertha, and Walter E., Jr., all of whom are still at home under the family roof tree.
JOHN A LARSON.-- The ultimate and consistent reward that should prove the crown of years of earnest endeavor and effective toil is the prosperity that may be had by men and women who have arrived at the stage on life's journey where the shadows begin to lengthen from the crimson west, where the sunset gates are open wide. Such reward has been granted to the sterling man whose name heads this review.
Mr. Larson is of Scandinavian descent, born in Sweden in 1859, one of the members of a race that has contributed largely to the better class of settlers in our country and to whom we owe a great debt for the examples of thrift and industry, characteristics which they brought with them when they crossed the stormy Atlantic to this land of promise,
where they entered every walk of life and in so many cases made good. John Larson was the son of P. A. and Ann (Peterson) Larson, both natives of Sweden, where they were reared and received the excellent educational advantages provided by the government. They met and married in their native land and there some of their children were born before they determined to seek greater opportunities for themselves and their family across the sea, in the new country where land was to be obtained for the taking, an almost incredible idea to these people of a European country where land was high in price and held from generation to generation in one family, so that the younger sons must emigrate if they desired land for themselves. Mr. and Mrs. Larson were ambitious and severing all the sacred ties that bound them to family and native land, came to the United States in 1873, locating in Colorado on a homestead of a quarter section of land, on which they proved up. Here the father engaged in general farming and stockraising for the remainder of his life. Mr. and Mrs. Larson were members of the Lutheran church, while Mr. Larson was an adherent of the Republican party.
Eight children completed the circle of the Larson home: John, the subject of this review; P. A., an implement dealer of Grover, Colorado; Emma, the wife of Peter Johnson, of Boulder, Colorado; Charles, a carpenter in Denver; Ida, is the widow of Edward Brubaker; Otto, a miner near Boulder; Jennie, the wife of Nels Nordquist, of Victor, Colorado.; and Albert, the proprietor of a restaurant at Greeley.
John Larson attended the elementary schools in Sweden before his parents came to America, and after the family was settled here was given the educational advantages obtainable in the public schools. After finishing his schooling he began work as a miner, as did most of the young men of vocational age, as mining was the chief business of a greater share of the population for many years, when the gold boom was on. Mr. Larson was employed in several different places where mining operations were being carried on for about twenty years, but as he was a man who gave thought and study to many questions of the day he began to realize from his readings that the proprietor of land was the most independent man in the world, especially if his holdings consisted of farm land. He studied up on the question of agriculture though he had a good practical knowledge from his life on his father's farm, but methods had changed and he was far sighted enough to realize that times do change. After looking the country where homsteads (sic) could still be obtained over, he decided to engaged in farming in Colorado. Twenty years passed while he carried on both farming and at times, mining until in 1906 he came to Nebraska, locating in Sioux county where he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in township 24-57, section 22, where he began improvements as soon as a home could be built for his family and they became settled. Having had long and varied experience by this time in agriculture, Mr. Larson had chosen his land well as a hundred acres of his holdings are under ditch. He has made excellent improvements, purchased the most modern farm equipment to lighten labor and also assist in greater production from the land, and today is rated as one of the most well-to-do and prominent men of the valley. He carries on general farming industries and as his irrigated land yields generous forage crops has branched out in an allied business, sheep and hog feeding. in all allied business, sheep and hog feeding. He buys lambs and sheep off the range, feeds heavily for a period varying from sixty to ninety days and then ships to the eastern markets. Mr. Larson is a shrewd buyer and long seller so that his returns from this branch of his enterprises has brought in most gratifying results, especially since the beginning of the war, as meat has been so high.
In 1895, Mr. Larson married Miss Christine Peterson, a native of Sweden, the daughter of Peter Peterson. Mrs. Larson accompanied her father when he immigrated to this country and lived in Denver, before her marriage. Four children have been born to this union: Stella, the wife of Charles Hutchison, a farmer of Sioux county; Rose, who married Harold Gilbert, of Sioux county; Harry, and Edna, both of whom are at home with their parents. Mr. Larson is a Democrat in his, political affiliations. Mr. Larson has never been willing to accept public office, but lives his citizenship every day in the manner in which he orders his life, and today is rated one of the reliable men of his section who advocates every movement for the benefit of the community.
WALTER D. HUFFMAN. -- Here is a younger member of the agricultural profession, a self-made man who though young in years has already scored his initial success and whose life record deserves a place among the representative and progressive men of the Panhandle who are making history in this section of Nebraska.
Mr. Huffman was born in Iowa March 11, 1881, being the son of Lorenda and Sarah P. (Kirk) Huffman, the father born in Illinois, and the mother in Iowa, where they were reared, educated and later married. To them nine children were born: Marcus, living at Fort Collins, Colorado; Frederick, a resident of Julesburg; Herbert, of Scottsbluff county, employed in a sugar factory; Charles, living in Sedgwick, Colorado; Millie, deceased; Lennie, the wife of George A. Monroe, of Sioux county; Ernest, also living in Morrill, and Ella, the wife of Ralph Bookout, of Fort Laramie. The father of this family was one of the gallant sons of the Union who responded to the president's call for volunteers during the Civil War, serving in the One hundred and forty-second Illinois infantry. After the cessation of hostilities he located in Iowa, where he was a well to do farmer, a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Methodist church. He died in 1915, being still survived by his wife who lives with her children.
Walter was educated in Colorado, as the family moved there while he was a small boy. After his school days were over he decided to become a farmer and establish himself in independent business and followed this vocation in the Mountain state until 1909, when he decided to avail himself of the fine chances of farm land in the Panhandle where irrigation was well introduced and where at the time, there was still government land open for claims under the homestead act. Coming to Nebraska Mr. Huffman filed on eighty acres in township 23-57, section 8, Scottsbluff county. Having had years of practical experience in agricultural pursuits, he soon had his farm in fine shape, erected good permanent farm buildings and a comfortable home which is one of the social centers of the Morrill valley, as he and his wife have made a host of friends and Mr. Huffman is regarded as one of the enterprising and progressive men of the vicinity.
In 1905 occurred the marriage of Mr. Huffman and Miss Louetta McCullough, who was born and reared in Iowa. To this union three children have been born: Clarence, Edith and Ethel, all at home. The family are members of the Presbyterian church, in which they take an active part. Mr. Huffman is a Republican, but has found no time to enter politics as a candidate for public office though he is public spirited and has marked civic pride, and his work in behalf of beneficial movements in his community is always of a constructive character. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Yeomen.
JOSEPH G. NEIGHBORS, who owns one of the best improved farms of Scottsbluff county, has lived in Nebraska since 1887 and is a representative and respected citizen of this section. He was born in northern Missouri, September 21, 1863, and is a son of Joseph and Nancy (Carter) Neighbors. The father of Mr. Neighbors was born in Virginia and the mother in Ohio and both are now deceased. The father was a farmer before he became a soldier in the Civil War, and died while in service.
Joseph G. Neighbors was an infant when his father died. He was reared in Missouri and from that state came to Nebraska some thirty-two years ago, and homesteaded in Scottsbluff county. Like other settlers at that time, he was called on to endure many hardship, but he was industrious and resourceful and in the course of time made encouraging progress and now has a valuable property, his land being all irrigated. He carries on general farming and stockraising.
Mr. Neighbors was married to Miss Carrie A. Franklin, who was born in Missouri, September 11, 1869, a daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Minear) Franklin. Thomas Franklin was born in Kentucky and the mother in Virginia. They married in Indiana and moved to Missouri. Mrs. Neighbors was seven months old when her mother died. The father of Mrs. Neighbors was a physician. He came to Nebraska in 1886, locating at Gering, where he practiced his profession until his death at the age of sixty-three years. He and Frank A. Garlock built the first hotel and the first store in the town. He owned the first drug store. He was a soldier in the Civil War, serving the full term, and came out with the rank of captain. Mr. and Mrs. Neighbors have three children: Grace, who is the wife of Samuel Shove, lives in Wyoming; Thomas, who is an attorney, resides at Bridgeport; and Melville, who is a farmer in Scottsbluff county. They are members of the Baptist church. In politics Mr. Neighbors is a Democrat.
FRANK I. POWELL. -- One of Sioux county's successful and well-to-do citizens whose present prosperous condition is due to his own industry and good judgment, is the gentleman whose name introduces this paragraph.
Mr. Powell is a native of Ohio, born in Morrow county, April 17, 1862. His parents were Evan and Elizabeth (Everett) Powell, natives of Virginia, who were the parents of thirteen children, eight of whom are living, but only two came to Nebraska, Walter and
Frank. The latter was reared in Ohio, obtaining excellent educational advantages in the public schools of that state. His father was a farmer and at an early age the boy learned the practical side of agricultural business as well as stock-raising as conducted in his native state. The father died in 1904 but the mother survived until 1913.
After his school days were over, Frank left home before he was twenty-one years old and went to North Dakota and took a homestead. He had heard and read of the west and the lure of the wide spaces of the prairies called him. He came first to North Dakota, where he established himself as a farmer on a homestead, subsequently he went to Kansas and was there fifteen years. Mr. Powell had read of the great strides agriculture was taking in the valley of the Platte with the introduction of irrigation so he came here in 1902, filed on a claim in Sioux county not far from Morrill and proved up on it, making good and permanent improvements on the place and erecting a comfortable home. When his capital permitted he purchased land adjoining the home place and today owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, nearly all under ditch, where he is conducting a general farming business. He is a thorough advocate of intensive farming and irrigation, gives study to the agricultural problems that arise, has the latest modem equipment for his land and is accounted a man of weight and means in the valley, where he is known for his integrity, high ideals and the care with which he carries out his business obligations. Mr. Powell is allied with no political party, voting as his conscience dictates, for the men best fitted to fill office, whether local, state or national in character.
In 1889, occurred Mr. Powell's marriage to Miss Dema Smith, who was born in the state of Michigan, and to this union two children have been born: Frances and Winifred.
While he has made a success of his undertakings, Mr. Powell has not been unmindful of his duties of citizenship and is held in unqualified esteem by all who know him.
JOHN H. KELLUMS. -- The subject of this record is one of the honored early settlers of Scottsbluff county and through his own efforts, marked by diligence and good management, he has achieved substantial success.
Mr. Kellums was born in Clay county, Illinois, October 29, 1859, being the son of John W. and Margaret (Henry) Kellum, the former was a Hoosier by birth, the latter was born in Ohio. They were reared in their native states, received the educational advantages there in the public schools and later met and married. To them eight children were born, of whom three survive: John; Ferdinand, living in Illinois, and Elizabeth, the wife of John Frazier, a resident of Crosby, North Dakota. The mother, a Baptist in faith, died in 1878. Mr. Kellums was a general farmer in Illinois, and also engaged in stock-raising, an occupation he followed all his active business life. He was a Republican in his political views while his fraternal affiliations were with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He passed from life at a hale old age in 1915, in Illinois.
John Kellums grew up on his father's farm, received his educational training in the public schools of his district, thus laying the foundation for his subsequent business career, as he learned farming from his father at the same time he was under academic discipline. Following in the footsteps of his sire he engaged in farming independently upon attaining his majority as this was a business with which he was familiar and one toward which he was nclined (sic) by temperament. Hearing of the many opportunities a young man had to obtain good farms in the newer states west of the Missouri river he learned all he could about different sections of the country and then in 1887 decided to locate in Nebraska. Coming to the Panhandle he filed on a claim in township 22-R 58, section 12, Scottsbluff county, also a homestead in section 2, land which has since come within the irrigated district of this section of the valley. Mr. Kellums was fortunate in the selection of his homestead as practically all his land is now under water rights and he is insured crops every season. Being young and full of vigor and inured to hard work, the young man soon had his land under cultivation, made good and permanent improvements on the place and before his marriage had built a good, comfortable home. As money came in from the sale of his produce and capital permitted, Mr. Kellums bought other tracts near the home place, so that he now owns a full section of land.
On Christmas day, 1889, occurred the marriage of Mr. Kellums and Miss Mattie E. Parish, a native of Iowa, and to them were born eleven children: Felix Lockwell and Roy W., both at home; Hazel, married; Roy Shultz, living in California; Clarence, at home: Blanche, the wife of James Robertson, living near home; Floyd, Ena Frances, Maude, John H., Arthur Temple, Hugh, all at home with their parents. Mr. Kellum is an independent voter, being bound by no close party lines, casting
his influence in the scale for the man best qualified for office. With his wife he attends the Seventh Day Adventist church while his fraternal affiliations are with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Kellums can truly be called a self-made man who has made good use of his oppotunities (sic) and today is rated as one of the substantial and public spirited men of Scottsbluff county.
CHARLES H. GATLIFF.-- As a living example of what resolute work, earnest endeavor, and perseverance will accomplish, Charles Gatliff stands prominent among the worthy citizens of Scottsbluff county, coming here in 1887, with little capital save that represented by his personal qualities and characteristics, he has worked his way uninterruptedly to a position of independence, and his status today is that of a substantial citizen and prosperous agriculturist, though now the sunset years are casting shadows from the crimson west he has disposed of most of his holdings and is living in semi-retirement enjoying the fruits of his long and arduous labors.
Mr. Gatliff was born in Missouri, September 21, 1856, being the son of Joseph and Rebeccah (Wakefield) Gatliff, the former a native of the Blue Grass state, while the mother was born and reared in Illinois. Four children were born to them: Charles; William, living in Custer county, Nebraska; George, who went to Brazil, South America some years ago, and Flossie, deceased. The father was a farmer in Missouri where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits all his life, passing away in 1869, leaving the mother to shoulder the responsibilities of the family and rear her children. She was a worthy woman who died in 1906, whose good deeds were as the number of her days. The family were members of the United Brethren church while the father was a Republican in his political views.
Charles grew up a sturdy lad on his father's farm, received his elementary educational training in the common schools of that state and after the family removed to Iowa finished his schooling there. When old enough he chose farming as his vocation and engaged in that business in Iowa until 1887, but he was ambitious to get ahead in the world and desired land of his own and to obtain what he wanted decided to come west and take up government land where there was an opportunity of doing better for himself and his children. Coming to Scottsbluff county he filed on a claim in township 23-58, section 21, where the family as established as soon as a house could be constructed and the necessary shelter provided for the stock. Those were primitive days in the valley, settlers were few and far apart, distances to trading centers many miles away, but these people of true pioneer stock were not daunted by the hardships and privations that they were forced to endure for a few years and with high courage wintered the blizzards and withstood the droughts and insect pests of the early eighties and nineties, and fortune finally smiled upon their efforts. Irrigation, the great salvation of this semi-arid climate was established in the Morrill valley, crops were assured, railroads were built up the Platte, money came easier and prosperity was assured to the Gatliffs, who well deserved whatever they had accumulated in a material way, and today this excellent family is highly respected by their neighbors and friends, who regard them as examples of true American citizens.
In 1878, Mr. Gatliff married Miss Elizabeth Phillips, a native of Ohio, who has been a worthy helpmate to her husband during the many years they have been taking a prominent part in the development of this rich valley country; Mr. and Mrs. Gatliff reared an adopted son named Carl Sears, who is now a stockman in Wyoming. He married Estella Gatliff. Mr. Gatliff is a staunch adherent of the Republican party. Mrs. Gatliff is a member of the Christian church.
GEORGE A. MUNROE, is a resident of Sioux county where he is well known as a representative citizen and prosperous. agriculturist who is developing large interests.
Mr. Munroe was born in the Province of Quebec, Canada, in 1887, being the son of John and Ann (Nixon) Munroe, the former born in Scotland, while the mother was a native of Ireland. To them were born eight children, five of whom survive: Edward, of Fort Collins, Colorado; John, living in the Province of Quebec; George; Clarence, also residing at Fort Collins, and Hubert, a farmer of Sioux county. The father of the family was a farmer in Canada all his life, he carried on general farming enterprises and also conducted a dairy business. The mother died in 1904, being survived by her husband until 1911, when he was called to the last long rest. They were members of the Presbyterian church while the father was a liberal in his political views.
George was reared on the farm in Canada, attended the common schools near his home, and when old enough began farming on his
own account. He heard golden tales of the opportunities in the United States and as he felt the lure of the west as well as a spirit of adventure that called loudly, came to Colorado in 1905, but remained there only three years as he learned of the fine land to be obtained under the homestead act in the Panhandle and came to Sioux county, filing on a claim in townshin (sic) 22, 24-57. The first quarter he soon had under cultivation, made good and permanent improvements that have stood the test of time, though the buildings have been added to since and before his marriage Mr. Munroe built a fine comfortable home. He bought other land near the homestead and today is the owner of a landed estate of two hundred and forty acres of dry land and a quarter section all under irrigation. This makes an excellent combination for general farming and the raising of cattle, a line in which Mr. Munroe has specialized, as he raises nothing but high bred white faces, the best beef stock in the opinion of experts. The high land makes excellent pasture, while that under ditch raises grains and the necessary forage crops. Having an abundance of feed, Mr. Munroe has branched out in another line of agricultural industry and buying lambs and sheep from the western growers, feeds them in the winter for from sixty to ninety days, then ships them to eastern markets, making a quick turnover of his money which he has found exceedingly profitable, especially since the war when meat prices advanced to such a high figure. He is not only an advocate of intensive modern farming but is rated as one of the most successful stock-men of the Morrill district which has already become well known for its able business men.
Mr. Munroe is a Republican in politics and though he takes no active part in political life, is a man who stands behind every movement that tends to the development of the county and has a high reputation for his integrity and the fulfillment of business obligations.
On December 23, 1913, Mr. Munroe marred Miss Lena Huffman, and to them three children have been born: Everett, Grace and George Edward, all at home.
ROBERT G. WALSH, whose standing as a prominent business man of Morrill and leading citizen of Scottsbluff county is high and who has been intimately identified with the material growth and industrial and financial development of the county for many years is now one of the partners of the most popular and largest automobile houses in the valley.
Mr. Walsh was born in Kankakee county, Illinois, April 20, 1886, the only child of Robert and Harriet E. (Richardson) Walsh, the former born in Ireland, while the mother was a native of Illinois. Robert Walsh, Sr. was a farmer in Illinois, also engaging in business as a railroad contractor. In 1879 he came west to Colorado and later removed to Lingle, Wyom-where (sic) he became established as a railroad contractor, building a part of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad from Chashon to Harrison in 1886, he was a shrewd man, studied his business opportunities and became one of the rarely successful men of his section at that time. As that was the period when great herds of cattle ranged over the prairies Mr. Walsh became interested in the livestock business as a side line and achieved a wide reputation as a man able to handle cattle industries as carried on along what was then the frontier. Now that the sunset years have come and the shadows begin to lengthen from the west, he has retired from active participation in commercial activities and is now spending the later days in retirement, quietly enjoying at Fort Collins, Colorado, the fruits of his earlier endeavors. Mr. Walsh was one of Illinois' gallant adopted sons who responded to President Lincoln's call at the outbreak of the Civil War, serving through some of the hardest campaigns of that memorable conflict as a member of Company G, Twenty- fifth Illinois infantry and after the war was over returned to the pursuits of peace literally exchanging the sword for the plough-share. He is a member of the Republican party in his political views, belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic while his fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic order and with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. With his wife he attends the Methodist church of which she is a member.
Robert attended the public schools of Illinois and after the days of educational discipline were over became a farmer, as that was a vocation which appealed to him. In 1886, when a youth of twenty he also came west, to Fort Laramie, as he had become ambitious to be a land owner and learn the cattle business first hand. With this end in view he joined one of the cattle camps of the great baronial cattle companies and rode range for several years, becoming well acquainted with the livestock business, seeing much of the country and broadening his outlook on life. Like many another man of vision, when settlement began to creep up the fertile valleys of the Platte and other great rivers of the prairie
read the doom of the great cattle realized that the future of this business was to lie in the hands of the farmer with his smaller holdings who would produce a better grade of beef animal. Reared to farming he now determined to engage in the cattle business on an extensive scale and the first step toward this end was taking up a homested (sic) in the Morrill valley in 1891, and this original grant has never passed from his ownership. Farming was a side line, as he specialized in horses and cattle exclusively, raising forage mostly on the arable land. Mr. Walsh became known in the upper valley as one of the phenomenally successful men of his profession; he made money and today is one of the most substantial men of the district. With the pasing (sic) of the horse as a means of transportation Mr. Walsh was too progressive to hold to the old ways and old days, and early realized that a great future was before the men who early entered the automobile business and while he still holds considerable land and raises stock he devotes much of his time to this line as he has formed a partnership with a Mr. Williams and they own the largest garage in Morrill, carrying a fine line of accessories and maintaining a fine service, not only for the town but all the surrounding country. Unfailing courtesy, prompt fulfillment of business obligations and integrity have won for the garage and its owners a most gratifying clientelle (sic), so that it is a money making proposition. The family are members of the Methodist church while Mr. Walsh votes the Republican ticket and is a member of the Masons.
In January, 1892, Mr. Walsh married Miss Cora M. Akers, of Iowa, and to them seven children have been born: Irene G., the wife Of Everett Barclay of Seattle; John G., of Morrill, is an aviator; Margaret, a teacher at home; Mildred, at home; William, a student at the State University; Esther and Ruth, at home.
ELTON GARRETT, is distincly (sic) a Nebraska product as he was born in Red Willow county in 1883, and today is representative of the best element of the younger generation of progressive farmers who are today making history in the Panhandle and demonstrating that intensive agricultural pursuits under irrigation together with modern methods and equipment is a paying business in this favored section.
Mr. Garrett is the son of Samuel and Esther (Bodwell) Garrett, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this volume devoted to the life histories of prominent settlers of the Panhandle. Elton received his early educational advantages in the public schools of this state, he grew up sturdy and self reliant as most farm boys do and early learned the lessons of industry and thrift as demonstrated an the home place. When his father went to Fort Collins, Colorado, the youth accompanied him, remaining there until 1906, when he came to Sioux county and filed on a quarter section of land in section 20, township 24-57, as he had decided to take up farming permanently as a life vocation. Mr. Garrett made improvements on his land, erected necessary buildings and within a short period had his land under cultivation. Subsequently he found it necessary to relinquish eighty acres, but this gave him time to devote more attention to the remainder which was all under irrigation and upon which he has most successfully tried out and proved that intensive farming, as advocated by the farm experts, pays. Mr. Garrett entered into partnership with his brothers to specialize in raising potatoes, under the firm name of Garrett Bros., and they have become known widely for their success in this enterprise. Though young in years the brothers are old in experience and their rise in the world as producers of the second great food product of our land has been due to their devotion to business, keen foresight and executive ability. During the one season of 1917-1918 they shipped more than three hundred carload lots of the tuber out of the valley, easily giving them first place as potato men, and today their products vie with the famous Wausau county potatoes of Wisconsin, that have hardly a rival in the field. With the passing years better buildings have been erected on Mr. Garrett's farm, a comfortable, modern home is enjoyed by the family and in addition to his general crops and potatoes he raises pure bred Percheron draft horses and has a good grade of other stock on the place including Duroc Jersey hogs. Mr. Garrett's mother makes her home with her son, being a woman well advanced in years as she has passed her sixty-fifth birthday but is still keen mentally and no one would believe she was not many years younger due to her body vigor, which is that of a much younger woman.
Mr. Garrett is a member of a well known and highly respected family of Sioux county which has contributed liberally to civic and material progress and prosperity and is what may be called the true type of American farmer, a class that leads the world in production as demonstrated when America was called
upon to feed the hungry world during the World War. Independent in his views of life it is but natural that Mr. Garrett should be independent as a voter and he is bound by no party lines when he casts his vote but gives his influence for the man best fitted to serve the people, whether county, state or nation.
LAWSON E. MEREDITH, is a representative Sioux county farmer who came of Hoosier stock. He lives in the Morrill district, where since 1905 he has been conducting farming operations on a more or less extensive scale and where he has made an enviable reputation as a substantial citizen and successful farmer.
Mr. Meredith was born in Indiana in 1865, and is a son of William and Haney (Fansler) Meredith, both natives of the Hoosier state, where they were reared, educated, later met and were married. They are both living today in Atlantic, Iowa, at the advanced age of seventy-eight years, having passed that allotted span of the psalmist, three score years and ten, but are mentally as vigorous as people years their junior. William Meredith owned land in Indiana, where he engaged in general agricultural pursuits and stock-raising, being successful along both lines. and there was regarded as a successful man. During the Indian troubles on the frontier he enlisted in the service of the government, serving a part of this time in North Dakota, at the time of the uprising there on the reservation.
Lawson E. Meredith was reared on his father's farm, attended the public school near his home and thus gained a good practical education for his later life. After the school days were over he began independent business life as a farmer in Iowa. In February, 1905 he came to Nebraska and located on a homestead in section 31, township 23-57, Scottsbluff county, where the family resided until he moved to Mitchell and disposed of his farm. He is now operating a farm in Sioux county, which he rents and is meeting with good success.
In 1891 Mr. Meredith married Miss Mattie Chizum, of Iowa and to them one child was born, Frank, in the government shops at Mitchell. Mr. Meredith is a Republican in his political views, attends the Methodist church of which his wife is a member and his fraternal affiliations are with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
SAMUEL BARTON, one of the substantial and progressive farmers of the Gering district is a native of England, the tight little island from which the first settlers came and which has furnished the greatest proportion of the best elements of our population, and while he has been a resident of Scottsbluff county more than fifteen years and of the United States since 1872, he retains all the excellent qualities of the English which has made them the colonizing race of the world.
Mr. Barton was born in 1864, being the son of Frederick and Mary (Tomlinson) Barton, both of whom were born, reared, educated, met and married in the Island of Great Britain. Frederick Barton was an ambitious man, and having a large family he saw no future for them in the mother country; he read and also heard of the fine opportunities to secure land for the taking in America, determined that both for himself and his children he would emigrate. Breaking all the dear associations that bound them to the land of their birth Mr. and Mrs. Barton accompanied by the children sailed for the United States, then the land of promise to so many people of European birth who desired land of their own. After reaching our shores the Barton family came west, locating in Iowa, where the father bought land and established himself in general farm industries. In addition to raising diversified crops he engaged in stock-raising as conducted at that period and became a man of substance and weight in his community, passing the remainder of his days there, as did the mother, both are now deceased. There were eighteen children in the Barton family, seven of whom are living today, so that young Samuel grew up on his father's farm sturdy and self reliant, used to the give and take of a large family and at an early age was well qualified to hold his own against anyone not his senior or stronger. He attended the public schools of his district, thus gaining a good practical education of inestimable value to him in later life. Having worked on the home place he acquired a practical knowledge of agricultural business methods and when he was old enough to establish himself independently in business chose farming as a vocation with which he was acquainted and also one compatible with his tastes. Mr. Barton became a well known and substantial representative of the farming element of Iowa where he remained until 1903. In the meantime, he had kept abreast of the progress being made in agriculture all over the country and when a satisfactory offer was made him for his home place disposed of it and came to the Panhandle, as he had become convinced that irrigation was to establish farming upon a stable basis, not possible when rain was de-
pended upon for water. Mr. Barton purchased one hundred and sixty-four acres of land in section one, township five, Scottsbluff county, where the family were soon established and he himself engaged in general farming operations and the rearing of high bred stock, as he believed the greatest returns were obtained from thoroughbreds. He has specialized in Holstein cattle, owning the grandson of Ragappe, the bull famous among registered stock and also the daughter of King of Pontiac, who sold a short time ago for $100,000. As a side line he raises hogs of Duroc Jersey breed, so that all his animals are either of pure strain or else very high grades, Mr. Barton has been markedly successful since coming to the Panhandle and today is one of the largest raisers and shippers of this section. His farm is modern in every way as he uses modern methods and the last and most improved machinery for lightening labor and increasing production. Mr. Barton is a Democrat in politics while his fraternal affiliations are with the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
On June 17, 1888, Mr. Barton married Miss Mary Heft, and to them nine children have been born: Harry Clay, with his father, worked for a time in the First National Bank; Mary, the wife of L. R. Wright of Scottsbluff county; Eunice, married R. G. Neely, register of deeds of Scottsbluff county; Daisy, the wife of Ray Irley; Chester, on the home place; Ruth in the county treasurer's office; Samuel, Robert and Helen, all at home.
CYRUS D. COOPER has proved himself the possessor of a large amount of that excellent manhood and that self-reliance, which united with perseverence (sic) and industry, have enabled him to become one of the valued men of Scottsbluff county.
Mr. Cooper was born in Union county, Iowa, in 1956, the some (sic) of Amos C. and Ruth Amanda (Thurlow) Cooper, the former a Buckeye by birth, being reared and educated in the excellent public schools of Ohio, where he engaged in farming after his academic career closed. Subsequently Mr. Cooper removed to Missouri and later still to Iowa, where he bought land and became one of the prosperous and progressive farmers of his locality, being engaged in raising general farm products and a good grade of cattle. There was a good stream of water on his land and he soon realized that this could be turned to profit in water power, with this end in view he constructed a dam across the stream, erected a mill and after the initial outlay had a good paying business as a miller. He and his wife are now deceased. There were nine children in the Cooper family: David, who enlisted at the outbreak of the Civil War in the Twenty-ninth Iowa Volunteer infantry, died at Little Rock, Arkansas; John D., deceased; William F., a merchant in Des Moines, Iowa; Amos C., owns a livery business at Thayer, Iowa; Cyrus; James H., a Kansas farmer; Edward, M., deceased; Ruth, the wife of Thomas Weeter of Union county, Iowa; and Robert M., an osteopathic physician of Garden City, Kansas. The father was a Democrat and Prohibitionist in his views while he and his wife belonged to the Christian church.
Cyrus grew up on his father's farm, sturdy and self reliant as a boy in a large family on the frontier must be to survive the hard knocks incident to life in a new country. He received all the educational advantages afforded in the public school near his home and early learned the practical business of farming from his father. When he grew to manhood he chose agriculture as a profession and followed this in Iowa until 1904. In the mean time he had studied up on intensive farming under irrigation and when he was offered an attractive price for his place in Iowa, disposed of it and came to the Panhandle to obtain cheaper land and more of it than before. Mr. Cooper purchased eighty acres in section 12, township twenty-five, all of which is under ditch. since locating in the valley he has engaged in general farming to some extent but devotes most of his time and energies to general truck farming, which under his capable management has proved most profitable and he is one of the prosperous and responsible men of this line in the Gering locality, which does not lack for capable men.
In 1879 occurred the marriage of Mr. Cooper and Miss Elizabeth Poe, a native of Iowa, now deceased. She became the mother of two children: Edna, the wife of James W. Tillman, of Stanford, Montana, and Lizzie, who married J. W. Reynolds, a ranchman of Wyoming. For his second wife Mr. Cooper married Mary E. Miller, a Canadian by birth, the daughter of William and Jerusha (Townsend) Miller, both now deceased. Five children were born to the second union, William M., a farmer of Scottsbluff county; Alice M., the, wife of J. O. Rose, a Banner county farmer; Oran C., in Wyoming, farming in Campbell county; Mark T., who works for his brothers; and Ward M., also working for him.
Mr. Cooper is an Independent in politics, voting for the man best qualified for office,
while he and his wife are members of the Methodist church. While the family resided in Iowa, Mr. Cooper served as assessor for his district and while he has never held office since coming west, is a public spirited citizen who advocates and supports all movements for the development of his community and the county.
GEORGE C. CROMER, who belongs to the Progressive younger element of the agricultural fraternity of Scottsbluff county is a native son of Nebraska as well as this county, and already out of his labors he has worked the start of a successful career where the outlook of his future is very bright. His present property on one hnudred (sic) and thirty acres not far from Gering is under a high state of cultivation; he is engaged in general farming, is in partnership with his father in breeding and rearing thoroughbred Percheron horses, and since establishing himself in business has begun to raise irrigated fruit and is considered one of the rising horticulturists of this section, and as fruit growing has but recently been inaugurated in the upper valley as an indutry (sic) he may be regarded as one of the pioneers in this line.
Mr. Cromer was born in Scottsbluff county, March 3, 1890, being the son of E. P. Cromer, a history of whom will be found elsewhere in this volume. George was reared on his father's farm, attended the public schools where he laid the foundation for the higher educational advantages which he has enjoyed. He early began to assume many of the duties about the home place and thus while a boy had a good practical working knowledge of agricultural industries. He attended the high school in Gering, and after graduation having chosen farming as a vocation, entered the agricultural department of the State University at Lincoln, where he devoted considerable time to the study of plant life in addition to his general course of applied farming and its methods. After receiving his degree from the college Mr. Cromer returned to the upper valley to form a partnership with his father in the livestock business, specializing in breeding percheron (sic) draft horses for farm work. He owns, independently, one hundred and thirty acres of land, more than half of which is under ditch, upon which he raises varied farm crops and forage as well as some special products which pay remarkably well when irrigated. He has already begun in a small way, as to acres, having only two planted to orchard yet, to devote time and work to horticulture and in 1917 sold $175 worth of plums from this one tract, as this line has proved so gratifying in bringing in returns Mr. Cromer contemplates increasing his. orchard each year until it has attained considerable size. Plums are not the only trees as he has apples, cherries, pears, and black walnuts, all of which will bring an assured income. In the near future he is planning to erect a big barn which will also be a sorting and fruit house for use in the harvest season. Mr. Cromer has a pleasant and commodious home and other up-to-date buildings and through his progressive and energetic work he is attaining credible and gratifying success for so young a man.
November 28, 1918, Mr. Cromer married Miss Freda Henatsch, of Scribner, Nebraska, the daughter of G. H. and Anna R. Henatsch. Mrs. Cromer is a member of the Congregational church in which she is an active worker. Mr. Cromer belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church, being curator of the church at Gering; in politics he is independent, being bound by no party ties in casting his vote, but gving (sic) his influence to the man best qualified for office. He supports all movements for the development of the county and his community and is one of the type known as true American citizen, who lives up to the high ideals he sets.
CARL THOMAS is one of the native born inhabitants of the North Platte valley. He is the son of Valentine Thomas, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work, and was born in Sioux county on June 15, 1894. After a preliminary schooling in the public schools he graduated from the Morrill high school and attended the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, then returned and engaged in the business of general farming and sheep feeding.
He was married May 17, 1919, to Mary Horn, who is likewise a native Nebraskan, having been born in Lincoln, the daughter of W. H. Horn who follows the trade of carpenter in that city.
Mr. Thomas was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity in his college days, is a Thirty-second degree Mason, and a member of the Elks. He is Republican in politics. Mrs. Thomas is a member of the M. E. church.
Though a young man and just well started in life, Mr. Thomas has the equipment of education and lifelong friend with the country in which his lot is cast, and faces a bright prospect for the future. His father is one of the best known residents of this community, and the son has a high standing among his friends and acquaintances as a progressive
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller