Resource Center, On-Line Library
MR. AND MRS.SEYMOUR S. DICKINSON.
tained to the age of seventy-four years, and the latter of whom died at the age of thirty-one years. Mr. and Mrs. Chapen have an attractive home in Scottsbluff, and they delight to extend its hospitality to their wide, circle of friends in this community.
SEYMOUR S. DICKINSON, who came in early times to Nebraska, settled on his present homestead almost forty years ago and has lived here ever since. Like other pioneers in this section of the state, he was called upon to face many hardships, but these he had more or less expected and through courage and persistent industry, overcame them all. Mr. Dickinson is one of the older residents of the county and is widely known and universally esteemed.
Mr. Dickinson was born in Saratoga county, New York, October 25, 1838. His parents were Nathan and Jane Dickinson, natives of New York who never came to Nebraska. The father died at the age of sixty-three years but the mother survived him many years and at time of death had passed her ninety-second birthday.
Seymour S. Dickinson was reared on his father's farm, attended the country schools and afterward engaged in farming in Saratoga county. In 1879 he paid his first visit to Nebraska. In 1880 he returned and then homesteaded the 160 acres on which he has lived ever since. During his active years he improved his property and under his management the farm was profitable even before the irrigation projects were introduced, and now sixty acres of the land are benefitted (sic) by the Gering ditch.
Mr. Dickinson was married first to Miss Eunice Duncan, who was born in New York, and she is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Fannie Curtis, a resident of Gering. His second union was with Miss Helen Safford, who was born in New York, a daughter of John L. and Sarah Safford, both of whom are deceased. To this marriage the following children were born: Mrs. Lowa French, who lives near Henry, Nebraska; Mrs. Hattie McCue, who lives at Gering; Emma, who died at the age of twelve years; Ray, who is a farmer near the homestead; Floyd, who is a farmer in Canada; Ernest, who farms at home; Warren, who was a soldier in training at Camp Funston for service in the great war, is now at home; and Mrs. Helen J. Girvin, who lives on a farm near the homestead. Mrs. Dickinson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. At one time Mr. Dickinson served as assessor of township 21, but has never been very active in politics.
EDWARD A. WHIPPLE, one of the sturdy pioneers of Banned (sic) county, substantial farmer and ranchman, has spent many years in this section of Nebraska, and has borne an active and useful part in its development. He is a native of Indiana, born in Franklin county, September 28, 1856, and is one of the two of his parents' nine children to locate in this state, the other being a brother, Frank.
The father of Mr. Whipple, Arnold Whipple, was born in Rhode Island, in 1814, and was four years old when his parents crossed the country and over the Allegheny mountains in a covered wagon, to the new home, then in the far west, in Indiana. The greater part of his life was spent at Metamora, in that state, where he worked at the blacksmith trade from the age of sixteen years. He was a man of sound judgment, of sterling New England character, an honest worker and a conscientious member and liberal supporter of the Methodist church. He was also a Mason and lived up to the obligations of Masonic membership. He married Elizabeth Kennedy a native of Indiana, who was a faithful and devoted mother.
Edward A. Whipple attended the village school in boyhood but as soon as old enough began to be self supporting by working on the farm for four dollars a month, later doing much better but not well enough, in his opinion, to keep him in his native state. In the spring of 1882, Mr. Whipple came to Nebraska and settled in Otoe county, remaining there until the spring of 1887. In previous fall he had homesteaded in Banner county and in the following spring came by wagon to his new home, his household possessions at that time consisting of a little bedding, while the cash capital in his pocket was fifty cents. As many (sic) be imagined, his early residence was not a palace, in fact it consisted of a one-room structure, of which he took possession April 6, 1887, and on May 8, following, after he had started to break ground, he found himself almost snowed in because of a furious storm. This was a serious matter as he had to go a half mile for his meals and had made no provision for the same in his little bachelor home. For some years agricultural conditions were very discouraging. Mr. Whipple remembers when he hauled wheat a distance of sixty-five miles, from Big Horn Basin to Sidney and sold it for thirty cent a bushel. It took three days to make the round trip, Mr. Whipple says there were three things considered indispensable on these trips, namely: cooking untensils (sic), bedding and lariat ropes.
The ropes were used to tether their horses at night and on many occasions he had been roused in the middle of the night to drive the coyotes away, these animals finding pleasure is using their sharp teeth on the ropes.
Mr. Whipple remained on his banner (sic) county homestead until 1907. In 1892 he mortgaged his place for two hundred dollars, with the prospect of doing better in the stock business, and bought heifers and steers, at six and five dollars respectively, and pastured them on the range, and in that way secured his real start. That spring he bought two cows of Hope Brown for eleven dollars and twenty-five cents each, but yearling heifers brought on seven dollars. In 1907 Mr. Whipple secured the Kinkaid tract on which he now lives and at present owns fourteen hundred and forty acres, about one-fifth of which is under cultivation. Mr. Whipple now has everything very comfortable around him and his present residence is a great contrast to his first home in Banner county.
On December 26, 1892, Mr. Whipple was united in marriage to Mrs. Mary (Carter) Hide, widow of Harry Hide, and they have had three sons, namely; Ernest, who died February 13, 1917; Earl who assists his father at home; and Edward, who, died July 12, 1915. Mrs. Whipple had one daughter by her first marriage, Myrtle, who is the wife of Joseph Gregory and they live at Morrill, Nebraska.
Mr. Whipple was reared by a Democratic father and continued to support the candidates of that party until recent years. He now depends upon his own good judgment and votes accordingly. He has always been a firm friend of the public schools and has served in school offices in district number eight, and for eight years was a member of the board of supervisors, but beyond that has never consented to accept a political appointment. In his neighborhood Mr. Whipple is spoken of as a man whose word is as good as gold.
CLYDE O. WYATT, who is one of Banner county's most progressive agriculturists, having extensive farms and ranch interests, belongs to one of the fine old county families that was established here thirty years ago. Mr. Wyatt was born in Wayne county, Iowa, February 16, 1879.
The parents of Mr. Wyatt were William and Susan (Duncan) Wyatt, the latter of whom was born in Iowa and now resides at Harrisburg, Nebraska. The father of Mr. Wyatt died in 1896. Of their eight children, Clyde O. was the third in order of birth. In 1889 the family came to Banner county, and the father homsteaded (sic) and secured a tree claim on secion (sic) 7-12-53, on which he lived until 1904, then sold and bought six hundred and forty acres northeast of Harrisburg. He continued in the farm and stock business during the rest of his life. In politics he was a Democrat and served six years as a county commissioner. He belonged to the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen and ever lived tip to his fraternal obligations.
Clyde O. Wyatt was ten years old when the family came to Banner county and he completed his public school education here. He assisted his father until ready to start out for himself when, with his brother Harvey, he leased the homestead, borrowing money in order to carry out this transaction, and together the brothers farmed and ranched for three years. Mr. Wyatt has been very successful as a business man. He began for himself in a small way, with no farm machinery and insufficient number of horses. He remedied the latter condition by taking horses from neighboring farms and paying for their use by breaking them. He now owns twenty-eight hundred acres of land and operates two thousand additional acres. Formerly he raised five hundred head of cattle, but in 1916 he sold his stock with the intention of taking things easier for a time, but as a loyal and patriotic citizen, when meat shortage faced the country on account of the great war conditions, he reconsidered and after a year of rest returned to his ranch. This is one of the best improved ranches in Banner county and Mr. Wyatt carries on his farming operations with modern farm machinery that includes a four plow tractor. Although his farm buildings are all modern and first class there is one exception, the log barn, still sound and usable, that is probably one of the oldest structures in this neighborhood, has never given way to Mr. Wyatts progressive ideas and energetic improvements.
Mr. Wyatt was married November 9, 1904, to Miss Grace A. Waitman, who is the daughter of Price and Minnie (Kelty) Waitman, residents of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Wyatt have three children, namely: Perley, Earl and Inez. A well informed and earnest citizen, but not a politician, Mr. Wyatt votes with the Democratic party but has never consented to accept public office. He is known all over the county and has the respect of his fellow citizens generally.
RALPH DARNALL. -- While almost every state in the Union has contributed to the citizenship of Nebraska, it casts no reflection on any other state to assert that a particularly worthy class came from Illinois. Many came westward from their fathers' Illinois farms, seeking the advantages that wider agricultural opportunities would give them, and ready to earn their reward through honest industry. One of these sturdy farmers bore the same name of Darnall, a name that has been a respected one in the state for forty years.
Ralph Darnall, who is a successful farmer and stock-raiser in Banner county, was born in Clay county, Nebraska, March 30, 1883, and is a son of Walter Scott and Rosie (Tucker) Darnall, natives of Sangamon county, Illinois. Prior to 1879 Walter Scott Darnall was a farmer in Illinois. In that year he came to Clay county, Nebraska, where he leased and cultivated land until 1887, when he homesteaded. For five years the family lived on that place and then the father moved near Kearney, not giving up his homestead however, in fact, he still owns it. Discouraging circumstances that faced practically all the settlers at that time, led to Mr. Darnall's return to Illinois, where he remained as a farmer for the next twelve years. He had by no means forgotten his Nebraska land and in 1906 he returned and settled on his homestead in Banner county where he occupied himself profitably as a farmer until 1915, when he turned the most of his farm responsibilities over to his son Ralph and moved into his comfortable residence at Melbeta. Although never particularly active in politics he has always voted the Republican ticket, and as an intelligent citizen has tried to promote the welfare of his county and state. He is a member of the Farmer Union and the Modern Woodmen of America. He and his wife have had seven children, namely: Harry, who lives in Illinois, married Grace Billings; Arthur, who is a farmer in Banner county, married Lida Johnson; Ralph, who lives on section twenty, town one; Mable, who lives in Missouri, is the wife of David Johnson; Harvey, whose death occurred October 31, 1914, had been married just ten days previously; Goldie, who lives in Banner county, is the wife of Hugh Ridge; and Gladys, who lives at home.
Ralph Darnall is (sic) company with his brothers and sisters attended the public schools and performed his share of duties on the home farm. When twenty-one years old he went to Montana and worked through the summer on his uncle's ranch, then went to Illinois for the winter. In 1905 he came back to Banner county. Here he has since operated his own farm of one hundred and sixty acres, together with his father's twenty-four hundred acres, carrying on mixed farming and cattle raising. The home farm was exceedingly well improved while his father lived on the place, and Mr. Darnall is not one to let anything run down. He makes use of modern farm machinery and his various industries are carried on systematically.
Mr. Darnall was married February 28, 1915 to Miss Gladys Kelly who is a daughter of Samuel Kelly, one of the solid, representative men of Banner county. Mr. Darnall votes the Republican ticket because he believes in the princples (sic) of that party. He belongs to the Farmers Union. Personally he stands well with neighbors and acquaintances because he is a young man of principle.
ARTHUR DARNALL, who is a careful, competent and successful farmer and stockraiser in Banner county, is a native of Nebraska, born in Nuckolls county, March 30, 1881. His parents are Walter Scott and Rosie (Tucker) Darnall, who now live retired in the village of Melbeta. They were born in Sangamon county, Illinois, and were farming people before coming to Nebraska in 1879. The family lived in Nuckolls and Clay counties prior to 1887, when the father homesteaded in Banner county. Five years later he returned with his family to Illinois and twelve years passed before he came back to Nebraska. He then took charge of his old homestead and greatly improved it. He now owns twenty-four hundred acres and since 1915, when he pactically (sic) retired, two of his sons, Arthur and Ralph, have had the management of this property.
Arthur Darnall obtained his education in the public schools and his business throughout life has been of an agricultural nature. For some years he lived in Illinois and while there served in the office of county commissioner, being elected on the Republican ticket for a period of three years. In 1905 he accompanied his father from Illinois, where the latter had been continuously farming, to Banner county, and now, as mentioned above, in association with his brother, has charge of the estate of twenty-four hundred acres, mostly range land and ranch. The Darnalls are practical, experienced business men and they have been very successful in all their farm undertakings.
On March 8, 1905, at Barclay, Illinois, Ar-
thur Darnell was united in marriage to Miss Lida Johnson, who is a daughter of William D. and Louisa (Marshall) Johnston. The mother of Mrs. Darnall resides at Riverton, Illinois, but the father died on July 27, 1915. Mr. and Mrs. Darnall have four children, namely: Nina, born November 3 1909; Frank, born September 13, 1912; Glenn, born October 12, 1913; Harvey, born October 28, 1915, this son was named in memory of Mr. Darnall's youngest brother, who had died suddenly a year before, just, ten days after his happy marriage; David Arthur born August 3, 1919.
JOHN L. MUHR, who is one of Banner county's substantial farmers and ranchmen, has spent almost his entire life in this county, accompanying his parents here when three years old. He was born in Kansas, April 4, 1883, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Milard) Muhr, natives of Illinois.
The father of Mr. Muhr still survives and he and the mother live retired at Fullerton, California. He is a veteran of the Civil War and at one time was a brave and valorous soldier, taking part in such battles as Chattanooga, Chickamauga and Stone River, being twice wounded, and marching to the sea in the victorious army of General Sherman. He came to Banner county, Nebraska, 1886, homesteaded and took a tree claim and later a Kinkaid claim, and followed farming and ranching until 1915, when he sold out and retired to California. Of his nine children, John L. was the seventh in order of birth.
John L. Muhr attended the country schools and spent one year in school at Sidney. As he grew old enough he assisted his father, and knows something of the hardships that beset early settlers in the county. In contrast to the present day high prices, he remembers assisting his father to cut cord wood and haul it forty miles to Sidney and sell it for $3 a load, the round trip taking two days. Muhr now lives on the old homestead and has improved the place with substantial farm buildings.
Mr. Muhr was married February 1, 1909, to Miss Grace Stroud, who is a daughter of Charles and Emma Stroud, now living at Bayard, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Muhr are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Muhr is an honorable, industrious man, in every way exemplary, and like his brother in Banner county, is held in much esteem. Mr. and Mrs. Muhr have three children: Vivian, Garnold and Vernon, aged ten, eight and six years respectively.
WALTER A. MUHR, who is a practical and enterprising farmer and ranchman of Banner county, has a wide acquaintance and like other members of this family is held in esteem by all who know him. He was born on his father's homestead in Banner county, Nebraska, October 31, 1892, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Millard) Muhr, who live retired in California.
After a long and honorable service in the Civil War the father of Mr. Muhr, a twice wounded soldier, came to the west, but did not locate in Banner county until 1886. He then homesteaded, took a tree claim and later a Kinkaid tract and continued farming and ranching on his land until 1915 when he retired. Of his family of nine children, eight are living and Walter A. is the youngest member.
Walter A. Muhr had excellent educational advantages at Sidney during the ten years the family lived there. Later he accompanied his parents in a year of travel, undertaken to benefit the mother, who was then in failing health. He has always been interested in agricultural pursuits. In July, 1914 he filed on a Kinkaid claim of four hundred acres and now owns it, in all having five hundred and sitxy (sic) acres, having four hundred under cultivation and operating twelve hundred acres. He breeds Aberdeen Angus Cattle and raises about fifty head a year.
On July 25, 1914, Walter A. Muhr was united in marriage to Miss Edna L. Baldwin, who is a daughter of Frank A. and Carrie (Kennedy) Baldwin, who are residents of South Omaha, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Muhr have two children, interesting little sons of five and three years, Richard L., who was born December 6, 1914, and Winfred F., who was born October 26, 1916. Mr. Muhr is independent in his political views and has always been fearless in defense of what he has believed to be right. He is a member of the Farmers Union.
WILLIAM C. MUHR. --An old and representative family of Banner county bears the name of Muhr, and a substantial representative of the same is found in William C. Muhr, who has been a continuous resident since he was seventeen years old and well remembers many seasons of pioneer hardships. He was born in Pike county, Indiana, September 18, 1869.
The parents of Mr. Muhr were John and Elizabeth (Millard) Muhr, natives of Illinois, who now live retired at Fullerton, California. The father is a veteran of the Civil War, in
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller