Resource Center, On-Line Library
him, Mr. Peterson left the farm in his care and went to Colorado and other points to work for wages. Until he was able to have a well dug on his land, about three years after settlement, he had to haul water for all purposes a distance of four miles. Like other homesteaders he passed through many hardships and has had losses of crops and cattle through the severity of storms. In recalling the blizzards that swept over the county at different times, he mentions the unprecedent (sic) fury of the storm of April 1912, in which his life was endangered. With his family he had gone to Kimball one day with the intention of returning to the farm on the day following. Although a blizzard was on the way attempted to make the trip with the large conveyance, but found the going was too heavy for that vehicle, returned to town and started again in a single-horse buggy. He relates that if the horse had not known its way he would never have reached home on account of the cold and blinding snow.
On March 5, 1902, Mr. Peterson was united in marriage to Miss Lottie Hendrikson, a daughter of Lars J. Hendrikson, extended mention of whom will be found in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson have four children, namely: Harold, born January 27, 1903; Dorothy, born June 21, 1905; Wallace, born May 9, 1910; and Evelyn, born October 18, 1913. Although not church members, Mr. Peterson and his family are regular church attendants, Mr. Peterson arguing that no particular creed is necessary if the proper religious spirit is maintained. He is a Republican in politics but has never sought any public office. It is the pleasant custom of the family to spend the fall and winter at Kimball, where they have a comfortable residence, thereby giving the children better educational advantages than they could have in the country. Additionally Mr. Peterson owns three desirable building lots in this city, owns stock in the Higgins Packing plant at Omaha, and also is a stockholder in the western Nebraska Telephone Company. Mr. Peterson is highly respected by all who know him.
CHARLES O. JOHNSON, who came to Banner county and filed a pre-emption claim in the spring of 1887, has never regretted that step although for some years while acquiring additional land and developing it, he and family had to bear many hardships. He was born in Sweden, April 12, 1850, one of eight children born to Johannes and Elizabeth (Swanson) Johnson. They spent their lives in Sweden, where the father was a general farmer. They were members of the Swedish Lutheran church.
Charles O. Johnson and a brother, Swen D. Johnson, who lives near Kirk, Nebraska, are the only surviving members of their parents' family. Charles obtained a common school education, and according to the law of Sweden, served two years in a military training camp and during the following two years gave seventeen days of annual service. He worked as a farmer before coming to the United States, in May, 1884, and in Kansas for three years afterward. In May, 1887, he filed on a pre-emption in Banner county, and in 1890 secured the homestead on which he yet lives, situated on section twelve, range fifty-four, town seventeen. Mr. Johnson now owns eight hundred acres of fine range land and he raises about twenty head of White Face cattle annually for market and an abundance of other stock for his own use. His ranch is situated near Sheep canyon and is well improved.
When Mr. Johnson entered Banner county, his covered wagon had been drawn over the rough country from Kansas by an old team of horses that accommodated their pace to the slow movements of the family cow, the latter helping to solve the food problem for Mr. Johnson's entire cash capital was one dollar and fifty cents. The first house was a dugout, with a sod roof, like those of the most of their neighbors. They met with many discouragements and lacked many of the things that the present generation would consider essentials of life, but they were more fortunate than the majority of the settlers in the matter of water, for there was a spring on their land.
Mr. Johnson was married in Sweden, in March, 1877, to Ida S. Carlson, who was born in Sweden in 1854, and died in Nebraska, February 7, 1909. Her parents were Carl Samuelson and Mary E., (Munson) Carson, who passed their lives in Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson had six children born to them, as follows: Charles, who lives on the homestead; Oscar, who is a highly educated man, is a professor in the college at Wahoo, Nebraska; Frank, who resides northeast of Minatare, Nebraska; and Hannah, Joseph and Clara, all of whom, reside with their father. He is a member of the Lutheran church. He votes with the Republican party and believes in the justice of its principles, but has never accepted a public office. He has always been a good citizen of the county and has lent his
influence to the improvement of the public highways and the establishment of churches and schools.
CYRUS W. RIDER, who is one of Banner county's most respected retired citizens, came very early to this section, in those early days bearing with his fellow pioneers as bravely. as possible, the many vicissitudes that were often disheartening indeed, lending a helping hand whenever he could and never losing faith in the ultimate superiority of this beautiful part of Nebraska. Mr. Rider comes very near to going down in history as the earliest homesteader, having filed, with his brother Clinton O. Rider, in the first week in October, 1885, second only to the Cross brothers, who filed in September. There had been squatters on the land before this, but these were all permanent settlers.
Cyrus W. Rider was born in Geauga county, Ohio, September 20, 1843, a son of William S. and Martha J. (McElroy) Rider. The father was born in 1814, at Poultney, Vermont, and the mother in Geauga county, Ohio, in 1816. Her death occurred in 1905. The father was a farmer and from 1865 to 1894 lived in Iowa. He was active in the Republican party and for many years was a justice of the peace. Of the family of six children four are living, but Cyrus W. is the only one in Nebraska. In 1855 he accompanied his parents to Wisconsin, where he had winter school advantages, and assisted his father until he enlisted for service in the Civil War, entering Company D, Third Wisconsin cavalry, serving under General Steele in the Department of Missouri. He was a brave and cheerful soldier and escaped all serious mishaps of military life. From Iowa he came to Banner county to live and in 1887 homesteaded near Gabe Rock, west of Harrisburg, and lived on that property until 1905, then sold and bought land near Kirk Post Office. Recently he sold his farm and since then has resided with his youngest daughter, who, is the wife of Clinton Trowbridge.
Mr. Rider was married April 6, 1877 to Miss Laura A. Clendening, a daughter of Hiram and Cynthia (Miller) Clendening, of Ohio. Mrs. Rider died November 12, 1886, survived by three children, namely: Alice, who is the wife of Wilbur R. Hannon, of Portland, Oregon; Charles E., of Freeport, Nebraska, who married Frances Turner; and Erma, who is the wife of Clinton Trowbridge, of Banner county. In politics Mr. Rider is a Republican.
MERVIN SNYDER, who has long been a representative citizen of Banner county, accompanied his people here when fourteen years old and, with the exception of seven months spent in Tennessee, has been a continuous resident of this county. He has been a foremost citizen in its development and has been identified with many of the worthy enterprises that have made Banner county what it is today.
Mervin Snyder was born in Scott county, Iowa, May 27, 1872. His parents were Melcoir and Adelaide (Labarr) Snyder, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania in 1837, and the latter in New York state, March 22, 1841. The father spent sixteen years in Iowa, working at his trade of blacksmith, first in Denton and later in Hamilton county, and from the latter went to Banner county and filed on a homestead situated two and one-half miles southeast of Harrisburg, on July 6, 1886, settling on his land November 27, 1886. This land was still wild prairie and for many years after coming here, water had to be hauled several miles for all purposes. On account of Mr. Snyder's skill as a blacksmith and the urgent need of his services at that time C. A. Schooley deeded him a lot in Harrisburg, on which Mr. Snyder built a blacksmith shop, the first one in the place, which he operated for six years. After that he lived on the farm for two years, then moved to Tennessee and continued farming there until his death in November, 1907. He was a Democrat in politics and both he and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Of their fourteen children, Mervin was the seventh in order of birth, the others being as follows: Susan, who is the wife of William Pyle, of Kimball, Nebraska; Rosel, of Hamilton county, Iowa, who married Ida B. Stover; Helen, who is the wife of Martin Stover, of Mead county, South Dakota; Emma, who is the wife of William Scoville, of Banner county; Belle, who is the wife of Hans Gunderson, of Dix, Nebraska; Kate, who is the wife of Peter Clauson, now a resident of Odell, Nebraska, who once owned the land on which Harrisburg stands; Blanche, who is the wife of William Van Pelt; John, who is a farmer in Banner county, married Blanche Hammocks; William, who lives at Stanton, Haywood county, Tennessee, married Mollie Patted; and Amanda, who was the wife of Amos Patted, died in the spring of 1908; Bessie, who is the wife of Joseph Patted, of Stanton, Tennessee; Nettie, who is the wife of Robert Perry, of Stanton; and Ivy, who
is the wife of Myron Bants, of Odell, Nebraska.
Mervin Snyder obtained his education in the common schools in Iowa. He accompanied his parents to Banner county and when twenty-one years old filed on a homestead, but when his father moved to Tennessee he sold it to William Van Pelt and accompanied his parents to the new home. After remaining in Tennessee for seven months he returned to Nebraska and shortly afterward bought his present home farm and has added to the same until he now owns eleven hundred and twenty acres of fine land. He devotes six hundred acres to crop raising, and breeds Hereford cattle and Percheron horses. When he came here Mr. Snyder was faced with the necessity of immediately making improvements and from small beginings (sic) he has developed one of the best improved farms in the county.
On March 25, 1897, Mr. Snyder was united marriage to Miss Mary Koenig, who is a daughter of Jacob and Anna (Fisher) Koenig, extended mention of this prominent family being found on other pages of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have children as follows: Alvin M., Pinkie A., James J., Glenn M., Arthur C. Bessie L., Ruby M., Herbert G. and Susie A.
In politics Mr. Snyder is a Democrat. He holds no public office at present but has served efficiently in numerous positions at different times, being road overseer for a long period and school moderator for twenty-two years. He was influential in having the post office re-established at Harrisburg. He owns stock in the Western Nebraska Telephone Company, of which he has been a director ten years and was president for three years. In recalling the changes that have been brought about in this section of Banner county, Mr. Snyder remembers when he hauled wood to Kimball and exchanged the same for flour and other provisions, and hauled his wheat to Gunderson's mill, an old water-power mill, where grinding was done with no exchange of money. He remembers the occasion of the first county fair. It was held in the unfinished court house at Harrisburg and people brought interesting exhibits of all kinds, his father showing an old heirloom in a seven foot clock, which was wound up by chains, this being a curiosity even then. Mr. Snyder participated in some of the sports, taking part in the mule race which was one of the enjoyable features. A large crowd attended, visitors coming to Harrisburg from Gering, Kimball and towns still farther away.
ADOLF F. GOOS.-- More than thirty years ago, when Scottsbluff county was still a part of Cheyenne county, Mr. Coos here established his residence. A young man of energy and determination, he was well equipped for meeting the labors that fell to the lot of the pioneer farmers in this section of the state, and the passing years brought to him a generous measure of prosperity, the while he gave his liberal support to measures and undertakings that promoted the social and material advancement of the community. He developed a valuable landed estate and is today one of the substantial and popular citizens of his adopted country.
Mr. Goos was born in the province of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, on the 27th of October, 1861, and there he was reared and educated, his youthful experience giving him close association with earnest toil and endeavor, for which he has retained the deepest respect, In 1883, shortly after reaching his legal majority, Mr. Goos severed the home ties and set forth to seek his fortunes in America. He arrived at Lincoln, Nebraska, on the 14th of March of that year, and thence he made his way to Syracuse, Otoe county, in which part of the state he was employed at farm work for three years. In the spring of 1886 he made his way westward to Cheyenne county, the trip having been made overland with team and wagon, and he became a resident of that part of the county that is now included in Scottsbluff county. On the 18th of May of the same year he filed entry on a homestead--the southwest quarter of section 14, township 22, range 55, besides which he later took up a tree claim, to both of which properties he duly perfected his title. With characteristic vigor he began the work of developing and improving his land, and abundant success eventually rewarded his efforts. He has retained possession of both of his claims and has developed the tract into one of the well improved and valuable farm properties of the county. He was one of the early advocates and supporters of irrigation enterprise in the county, assisted in the organization of Enterprise ditch, in the construction of which waterway he was associated, and he held sixteen shares of the stock, besides being a director of the original organization. For his share he received bonds at the time when the ditch was transferred to the district. Mr. Goos has shown loyal interest in community affairs, is a Democrat in politics and is a communicant of the Lutheran church.
ROLLA W. ALUMBAUGH, who is one of the enterprising, progressive and successful farmers of Banner county, operating a large
body of land in association with Arthur J. Trowbridge, is a native of Kansas, born in Crawford county, October 27, 1883.
The parents of Mr. Alumbaugh were John W. and Rebecca (Baysinger) Alumbaugh, the former of whom was born at Bowling Green, Indiana, and died in California, November 24, 1905, and the latter in Illinois. Her death occurred at San Diego, California. The father engaged in farming and stock raising in Kansas and Missouri until 1887, then drove across the country and brought with him from Crawford county, Kansas, to Banner county, Nebraska, his household goods and thirty head of cattle. He homesteaded near Harrisburg and continued on his land there until 1905, when he went to California, where he died soon afterward. He was a Republican in politics and both he and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They had the following children: James, who lives in California, married Blanche Price; Elmer and John, both of whom live in California; Rolla A., who belongs to Banner county; Myrtle, who lives in California, is the wife of Elmo Carpenter; and Pearl, whose home is in Oregon, is the wife of Barton Irwin.
Rolla W. Alumbaugh attended the Twin Tree district school and remained at home assisting his father until he was twenty years old. In 1908 he homesteaded where he now lives, a Kinkaid claim, and in partnership with Mr. Trowbridge operates nine hundred acres, breeding White Face cattle, turning off about fifty head annually. Farm operations are carried on here according to modern methods and with modern farm machinery. Threshing is done on the farm with the use of wheat headers and farm tractors and the entire year round this is a busy place.
Mr. Alumbaugh was married August 3, 1918, to Miss May Timm, who was born in Iowa, a daughter of Claus and Mary (Hoeck) Timm, the latter of whom survives and lives in Banner county. Mr. Alumbaugh is serving as road overseer and also is treasurer of school district number one. Politically he has always been identified with the Republican party.
ARTHUR J. TROWBRIDGE, who is a prosperous farmer of Banner county, belongs to one of the old pioneer families that have been well and favorably known in other counties as well as Banner. He was born in Berrien county, Michigan, May 2, 1872 and is the only survivor of four children born to John and Emma (De Long) Trowbridge. The father was born in Portage county, Ohio, and the mother in Berrien county, Michigan, is now Mrs. Cochrane living in Michigan. The father is living at Minatare, Nebraska.
In 1881 Arthur J. Trowbridge accompanied his parents from Michigan to Colfax county, Nebraska, and during the seven years they lived there attended the public schools. In 1889 his father homesteaded in Banner county on sections 6-17-54, near Heath, and resided there until 1897, then sold to George N. Bennett. During the next two years the family home was near Lone Pine Springs and then the parents of Mr. Trowbridge retired to Minatare. In 1888 Arthur J. Trowbridge filed on a Kinkaid claim of a full section of land and still owns this property. Since he has been associated with Rolla W. Alumbaugh in an extensive farming enterprise that is proving very profitable. Both partners are held in great esteem in Banner county, being good business men and trustworthy citizens. Mr. Trowbridge belongs to the order of Knights of Pythias.
STEPHEN W. TROWBRIDGE, who was born in Berien county, Michigan, November 1, 1857 has been a resident of Banner county since 1888, and now lives in his comfortable residence at Kimball. At times he has owned a number of tracts of land in the county but in recent years has sold the greater part of his property.
The parents of Mr. Trowbridge were Henry and Loretta (Hanchett) Trowbridge, the former of whom was born in Connecticut and the latter in Vermont. They were married in Ohio and from there moved to Michigan in 1850, and the father died there in 1881. The mother then came to Nebraska and resided with her son Stephen W. until her death, in the fall of 1896. Of the eight children in the family but two survive, John and Stephen W., the former being a resident of Minatare, Nebraska.
In boyhood Mr. Trowbridge attended school until he was fourteen years old, then began to take care of himself and during the rest of his active life engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1877 he bought railroad land in Colfax county, Nebraska, but soon sold it and returned to Michigan. In 1879 he came back to Colfax county and from there, in March, 1888, to Banner county, homesteading and taking a tree claim in Lone Pine precinct, section four, range fifty-four, town seventeen. Although Mr. Trowbridge had some capital
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller