NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library



enlisted in the navy during the war, being stationed at Great Lakes, where he served as yeoman in the intelligence department until mustered out, February 21, 1919; Catherine W., graduated from the high school in South Bend and now is serving as claim auditor for the Northern Indiana Traction Company; Florence, is a student at St. Mary's academy, Notre Dame, Indiana; and Mary a student at St. Joseph's Academy, South Bend. The Guthries maintain their home at South Bend for the present while the children are in school there but anticipate locating in Alliance when they have completed their educations.
   Since locating in Nebraska, Mr. Guthrie has taken an active part in public affairs. He took a prominent part in all works for the prosecution of the war in Box Butte county, serving faithfully in whatever capacity he was needed, being a member of the Red Cross, aided in the Liberty Bond drives and War Saving Stamp campaign; and for his energetic work in all lines was awarded a gold medal issued by the war service department of the Equitable Life Insurance Company, a considerable honor when it is known that only fifty of these medals were issued throughout the whole country, while Mr. Guthrie's is the only one awarded in Nebraska. Mr. Guthrie is District Deputy of northwest Nebraska for the Knights of Columbus, is a member of the Elks and is past president of the Nebraska State Volunteer Firemen.

    MICHAEL F. NOLAN, for many years connected with the Burlington and Quincy Railroad, and in years one of the oldest engineers in the service of the road in Nebraska is today retired and has become one of the well known and highly respected business men of Alliance where in association with his son he is conducting a coal, ice, and feed house under the firm name of Nolan and Son, which bids fair to become one of the most prosperous and flourishing concerns of the Panhandle.
   Michael Nolan is a son of the Emerald Isle, born at Elphin, County Rosscommon, Ireland, April 18, 1864, the son of John and Nora Bridget (Tietman) Nolan, who had nine children, of whom Michael is the third in order of birth. His father was a farmer and the boy grew up in the country attending the school of his neightborhood (sic) where he laid the foundation of a good practical education. Mr. Nolan recalls well the first money he earned in the old country, working in a grocery store for six cents a day and his board. The boy was ambitions and hearing of the good fortune that many of his countrymen had in the New World, broke all his home ties and dear association when only a lad of fifteen and came to the United States. After landing on our shores he soon secured work driving a grocery wagon in Philadelphia for five dollars a week of which he paid out four for board and room, doing his own laundry work at night in the store. Mr. Nolan remained in the east eleven months, then struck out for the west where he heard good openings were to be had for a young, willing man who was not afraid of hard work. In 1880 he settled in Albert Lee, Minnesota, working on a farm for fifteen dollars a month for a year and a half. The Burlington Railroad was being constructed to the west at this time and he secured employment on the branch known as the Burlington and Cedar Rapids in the shops established at Albert Lee, but after a year left and came to Nebraska in 1884, and the same year, in the fall, located at Valentine, having been offered work in the round house of the F. E. and M. V. Railroad, a position he kept two years, when the road was extended to Rapid City. Following this change Mr. Nolan entered the railroad shops at Chadron, remaining until 1887, when he went to the Burlington, taking charge of the engines used in the construction work near Whitman, until the rails were laid into Alliance. He then began to fire on one of the Burlington engines, being promoted to engineer in 1889. In 1897 he was given charge of the engines that pulled trains number forty-one and forty-two, known as the Portland and St. Louis Limited and continued on this run until he left the service. When Roosevelt was president Mr. Nolan was recommended as engineer for the train on his division, hauling the president's special from Alliance to Ravianna. In years of service Mr. Nolan is one of the oldest engineers on the Alliance division, having been on this run for over twenty years and many are the thrilling tales he can tell of runs on stormy nights, when a broken rail or some obstruction of the right of way would have meant death and disaster for the heavy train and its passengers. On May 2, 1917, because of disability due to injuries received while in the line of duty he retired. Mr. Nolan joined the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers in 1894 and still retains his membership in that organization and is also a Knight of Columbus.
   On August 31, 1888 Mr. Nolan married Miss Mary I. Tobin, a native of Iowa, the daughter of Martin and Margaret (Callan)



Tobin, both born and reared in childhood in that country. There are four children in the Nolan family: Ethel M., a graduate of the high school in Alliance and also of St. Mary's Parochial school, now the wife of John O'Brien a merchant at Stewart, Iowa; Frances B., graduated from the Alliance schools and then entered the University of Nebraska where he received his degree and now teaches at Laramie, Wyoming; Martin J., finished the local school, then entered the Nebraska State School of Medicine, at Omaha where he graduated in February, 1918, following which he served as interne at Kings Hospital, Brooklyn, New York, two years; and Michael D., a graduate of the State University, at Lincoln, who was taking a course in the law school at the outbreak of the World War when he enlisted in the naval flying corps at St. Louis, May 27, 1917. He took a four months special course at the Massachusetts Institute of Technocology (sic), Boston, being sent from there to Key West for preliminary flying, then was transferred to Miami and to Pensacola, where he received his commission as ensign in the navy. Michael became an instructor in teaching men to fly sea planes and remained in the service until honorably discharged when the war was over. On his return home he entered into partnership with his father in the coal, ice and feed business here in Alliance. As both Mr. Nolan and his son are good business men their prosperity is assured for they have a high standing in the community as men of integrity and care in filling business obligations, unfailing courtesy and modern methods, all qualities that presage a satisfactory return for the time, money and work they put into the business.

    EINAR BLAK, M. D. -- Among the professional men of Box Butte county none is more worthy of being represented in its annals than Dr. Einar Blak, a leading specialist in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. For six years he has lived within the borders of the state and for more than two years in this county, during which time he has been a prominent factor in its social, civic and professional affairs, having earned a well deserved reputation for high medical ability and straightforward dealings in all business affairs so that his name stands as a synonym for professional capacity and courtesy.
   Dr. Blak is a native of Denmark, a country which has furnished such a high proportion of the best element of American settlers, as he was born in Copenhagen, March 17, 1886, being the son of James C. and Sine (Modeson) Blak, who had four children of whom the doctor stands third in order of birth. James Blak was a lawyer by profession in Denmark and gave his children excellent educational advantages in addition to those provided by the state. Einer attended the public schools in Copenhagen, the high school academy and then graduated from the University of Copenhagen after a scholastic course covering seventeen years. In 1908 he received his degree of Doctor of Philosophy and the same year came to the United States. In the fall of 1909, he matriculated in the medical school of Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, spending the following four years there in special medical studies and in 1913 received the degree of Ph. D. and M. D. from that institution. The following years he spent in special higher courses of medical research in Denmark, devoting most of his time to eye, ear, nose and throat work. America appealed to the Doctor and he decided to make this country his future home. Returning to the United States in 1915, he came to Nebraska, locating at Gordon, where he opened an office, but desiring a wider field for his activities he removed to Alliance in 1919 and since coming here has made a specialty of lung diseases in addition to head work. Dr. Blak has won a most satifactory (sic) practice since coming to the Panhandle and is regarded as one of the leading members of the medical fraternity in the northwest, being called into consultation in the most difficult cases and today enjoys a continually growing clientele among the citizens of Alliance and the surrounding countryside. The doctor keeps abreast of all latest discoveries and advancements of his profession and being unusually well prepared for his work has attained a place in the very front ranks of his vocation.
   On December 27, 1909, Dr. Blak married Miss Caroline Gemmell at Iowa Falls, Iowa. She was born at Neligh, Nebraska, the daughter of John and Caroline (Torrance) Gemmell, both born and reared in the state of New York. There are four children in the Blak family: Kathleen, aged eight; Einar G., five, Paul S. and Regina M., the baby. For all of whom there is a bright future as their parents intend they shall have good educations and every social advantage obtainable for the equipment for whatever vocations they may choose.
   Dr. Blak is affiliated with the Roman Catholic church, is a Knight of Columbus and also



belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

    EPHRAIM T. KIBBLE.--One of the most progressive and aggressive business men yet genial and dependable spirits of Alliance, who has made a success of both business and farming is Ephraim Kibble, who was born in Edgar county, Illinois, October 30, 1861, the son of James and Tempy (Bonser) Kibble, the former a native of the Old Dominion, where he was reared in true Virginia manner, while the mother was a Buckeye by birth, reared in her native state of Ohio. James Kibble was a true pioneer spirit as he immigrated to Illinois when that state was on the frontier and there cleared a pioneer farm, but when settlement began to crowd close, the lure of the west induced him to emigrate and the second time he came to Nebraska, locating near York in 1870, one the hardy men with a brave and courageous wife who helped open this state to settlement and later development. When Mr. Kibble first came to York county he was able to buy only eighty acres of land as that was the largest acreage allowed inside the railroad limit but later he bought another eighty from the railroad, giving him a full quarter section. Ephraim had attended school in Illinois as he was eleven years old when the family came west and after getting settled on the new farm he went to the district school near his home. After his education was finished he decided on farming as his vocation and remained at home working with his father until he married Miss Idella Hilton, in January, 1888. Mrs. Kibble was born in Iowa, the daughter of John B. and Anna (Bunsko) Hilton, being the oldest in a family of six children. To Mr. and Mrs. Kibble six children have been born: Effie, married Ivan Rogers, the manager of a mercantile establishment at Sheridan, Wyoming; Bessie, a graduate of the Alliance high school, spent one year at a business college in Lincoln and now is in her father's real estate office; Blanche, a high school graduate, also took a course in the Lincoln Business college, in 1908, and is secretary and treasurer of the Golden Fleece Mining and Milling Company of Denver, Colorado; Lloyd, is a farmer five miles east of Alliance; Marie, after finishing the Alliance school entered the University of Nebraska where she is specializing in music in order to teach, and Clarence, at home attending the high school. In 1907 Mr. Kibble disposed of his holding in the eastern part of the state and came to the Panhandle as he believed there was a great future in this section for a good business man and that his faith in the country was justified need not be doubted as he owns three thousand acres of land in the upper valley and has a business that brings in most gratifying returns for the time and energy which he devotes to it. Within a short time of opening his office in Alliance Mr. Kibble was handling much of the business in this locality. He is a man who has won a well deserved reputation of always satisfying his customers. He is progressive in his ideas and puts these ideas into practice, which is the most importent (sic) item in this hustling day. He was the man who originated the idea of building the potash plant at Antioch, known as the Nebraska Potash Company, and it was due largely to his initiative that the plans were carried through to successful completion. The company established a large electric plant which furnishes lights for the town as well as the tenant houses of the employes of the concern. Mr. Kibble is interested and takes an active part in every movement that is laudable for the benefit of the community, advocates good roads, good schools, and good and honest government. Since coming to the Panhandle he has invested heavily in land of this section and now is the owner of a large landed estate, holding sixteen hundred and forty acres five miles east of Alliance, of which one hundred and forty acres is planted to alfalfa, which is the best improved in the county, while he cuts a hundred tons of prairie hay a year. For some time he has dealt heavily in thoroughbred hogs. Recently Mr. Kibble has purchased almost a quarter section of land adjoining the town site of Alliance which he will hold for the growth of the city in that direction before opening it up for building. The Kibble family has a fine modem home in the town where they are known for their open handed hospitality as Mrs. Kibble is a charming hostess. Mr. Kibble is so well fixed financially that when the shadows begin to lengthen from the golden west he can retire from active life and looking down the years, knows that his has been a life of accomplishment well worth while. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican party while his fraternal associations are with the Elks, the Workmen and the Eagles.

   ROBERT GRAHAM, the popular postmaster of Alliance and one of the progressive business and ranchmen of the Panhandle is the owner of large tracts of land, and has had large and varied experience in the west.



   Mr. Graham is descended from a long line of Scotch forebears who located in the north of Ireland at an early day; and it is these Scotch-Irish families who have taken the greatest part in developing industries in the Emerald Isles and the descendents (sic) have contributed a large part to the best element of immigrants who have come to America to assist in opening up and developing this continent. Robert Graham is a worthy representative of such a family. He was born near Belfast, Ireland, December 11, 1866, the son of William and Elizabeth (Davidson) Graham, the former born near Belfast while Elizabeth Davidson first saw the light of day on the Davidson farm, which has been held in the family since 1622, granted them by James I of England and VI of Scotland. While pride of ancestry is not a marked characteristic of the American citizens, it is nevertheless, not only natural but highly commendable that one should feel a just pride in the fact that he has descended from ancestors who were more than ordinarily distinguished in their day and generation. With this thought in mind we have briefly sketched an account of Mr. Graham's family, for it is the qualities which have descended from this long line that have enabled him to overcome many obstacles that would have been insurmountable to a man of less mental stamnia (sic). Robert Graham was the oldest child in a family of seven children consisting of five boys and two girls, and he thus grew up sturdy and early learned habits of self reliance and independence while he assumed many responsibilities while still young. The boy was sent to the public schools until he was seventeen and laid the foundation for a good practical education which he has continued by himself by wide reading and special attention to subjects connected with his business. As a youth Mr. Graham heard much of life in the Australian bush and this fired his imagination with a desire to emigrate to that southern land, but he was dissuaded from this by his parents and induced to come to the United States to join two uncles who lived in Iowa. Landing on our shores in the spring of 1883, he reached Iowa in June, and soon found employment on a farm, where he remained until 1886. By that time the young man had learned more about the country and determined to establish himself independently on land of his own. Nebraska seemed a pretty good place to him so Mr. Graham came out to Box Butte county to file on a homestead near the northern boundry (sic). He made the necessary improvements, proved up and became a land owner in fact. In 1888, he removed to Cheyenne county, that part of which subsequently was erected as Morrill county, where he at once engaged in raising live stock, as that was the heigh-day of the cattle business on the plains. He made good from the start and from time to time, as his capital permitted, bought other tracts of land so, that he is the sole owner of a landed estate of three thousand acres, a ranch from which he cuts over eight hundred tons of prairie hay each year. Thus for thirty-one years Mr. Graham has been one of the leaders in this vast enterprise in the Panhandle. In 1897 he formed a partnership with Eugene Hall, a business association which continues to the present time. Together they hold about thirty-eight thousand acres of ranch and grazing land in Morrill county, where they annually handle three thousand head of cattle and some horses; during the haying season the pay roll contains nearly half a hundred names of the employes engaged in carrying on the various farm industries. Mr. Graham has taken an active part in public life since first coming to Nebraska. During the late war he was chairman of the Council of Defense for Box Butte county, chairman of the Liberty Loan Committee, chairman of the County Fuel Administration Board, chairman of the building Committee, and as he stand pre-eminently at the head of the live-stock producers of the state was appointed by Governor Neville, a member of the State Federal Live-Stock Committee; is also a member of the Live-Stock Sanitary Board; is president of the Nebraska Stock Growers Association, an office he has held for the past five years and to which he was re-elected for the ensuing year. Mr. Graham is a broad minded man of far, keen vision and he early realized that the day of the open range was over so that he went in "on the ground floor," so to speak, in the cattle producing business, and his present large fortune is due to his ability of visualizing the future as well as his marked executive ability and willingness to work long and late when necessary, not only for his own business but in the interests of his county and the state, both of which he has served long and well.
   April 6, 1887, Mr. Graham married Miss Lilla M. Clark at Hay Springs, Nebraska. Mrs. Graham was born in Dewitt county, Illinois, the daughter. of Reverend Samuel and Elizabeth (Brownlee) Clark, the former a minister of the United Presbyterian church.

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller