Resource Center, On-Line Library
GEORGE L. WILCOX.
lowng (sic) children were born: Eva, the wife of Elmer Bennett, of Minneapolis, Minnesota; Lillie, the wife of Alexander Underwood, of Box Butte county; George, who resides at Spokane, Washington; Susie, the wife of Arthur Jones, of Grand Island, Nebraska; John E., who was a soldier in the American Expeditionary Force in Europe during the World War and was in the army of occupation in Germany until September 11, 1919; Omer, who is deceased; Cole, who operates the home farm; Nellie, the wife of Leslie Allen, a farmer in Morrill county; and Nettie, deceased. The mother of the family still resides on the homestead. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Cole Hunt took charge of the farm for his mother soon after completing his education He is a level-headed, serious-minded young man, a hard worker and close thinker. To him farming is not merely an occupation but a business that is deserving of a man's best efforts. He has been very successful in his work here, has all the land irrigated, makes use of the best modern machinery and makes every acre return a profit. At present he is not particularly active in politics.
GEORGE L. WILCOX, who has many substantial interests in Scottsbluff county, came to Nebraska in 1889 and has ever since lived in the state and is favorably known in the several sections where he has resided. Mr. Wilcox is a self-made man and feels that much of his success may be attributed to the business opportunities he found so generously offered in Nebraska.
George L. Wilcox was born in Franklin county, Ohio, February 23, 1879, one of two children and the only son born to Charles and Samantha (Freeman) Wilcox. Both parents were born in Ohio. The father died in that state in 1882, at the age of thirty-two years, and the mother lives at Los Angeles, California. Mr. Wilcox has one sister, Mrs. R. B. Farris, who is a resident of Chicago.
Following his graduation in 1896, from the high school of Worthington, Ohio, in which city his father had been a merchant, George L. Wilcox spent some years there identified with the same line of business. In 1889 he came to Nebraska and located at Springfield, where he was employed for some years as a clerk in a store, his previous experience in a mercantile house making his services valuable. On leaving Springfield, he went to Gretna, where he embarked in the furniture business and conducted a furniture store until November, 1911, when he came to Scottsbluff. Here he resumed dealing in furniture, adding a hardware department. In 1916 he built a commodious two-story building for business purposes, moved in, enlarged the scope of his business with a complete stock of furniture, rugs, hardware and undertaking supplies and now has a first-class, up-to-date establishment that is a credit to himself and the city. His time, however, is not entirely given to the affairs of Wilcox & Company, as the firm name stands, for he also manages his large ranch and raises cattle. He is a stockholder in the Platte Valley State Bank.
In 1902 Mr. Wilcox was united in marriage to Miss Sarah McCarley, of Illinois, and they have four children: Helen, Gertrude, Georgia, and Charles. The three daughters are attending school, but the son is yet an infant, his birth having taken place March 26, 1919. Mr. Wilcox's mother belongs to the Christian Science church, but he and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has always taken due interest in politics as a part of intelligent citizenship, and, like his father before him, has always been a Republican.
The only fraternal organization with which Mr. Wilcox is identified is the Knights of Pythias, in which he is quite prominent, and has been chancellor and grand vice chancellor. Mr. Wilcox is a representative business man of Scottsbluff and more than that, for he is an earnest, unselfish citizen, one who is ever ready to cooperate in all movements for the general welfare, and as such enjoys universal respect.
DALE B. OSBORNE, whose extensive agricultural interests and activities make him well known in Morrill county, has spent almost all his busy life here, being only thirteen years of age when he accompanied his parents to this county.
Dale B. Osborne was born in McLean county, Illinois, November 2, 1874. His parents were Samuel H. and Emily (Benson) Osborne, the former was born in Ohio and the latter in Illinois. They had four children born to their marriage: Dale B., who has always lived on the old homestead since coming to Nebraska; Thomas C., who is a farmer in Morrill county, north of Bayard; Dean H., who was in training in the aviation department as a machinist, during some months of the World War but never was called overseas; and June, who died at the age of twenty-seven year,. In 1887, the family came to Nebraska and the father homesteaded in Morrill county. He became a man of wealth through farming and stock-raising, and also influential in the county's public affairs, serving for years as a justice of the peace, and in many ways assisted
in the county's substantial development. He died at the age of seventy-six years and left behind him the record of an honorable and useful life. The death of the mother occurred in her sixty-fourth year, in 1917.
Dale B. Osborne had educational advantages in the public schools. From youth he has been interested in farm pursuits and resides on the estate of four hundred and seventy acres left by his father, carrying on both general farming and cattle raising. He has two hundred and forty acres under cultivation. He is a farmer of modern type, uses scientific methods, and believes it is the best all round policy to use every labor saving device and the best of farm machinery possible to secure. He is numbered with the successful agriculturists of the country.
Mr. Osborne was married at Minatare, Nebraska, Sptember (sic) 6, 1917, to Miss Zora Guvain, who was born at Prescott, Iowa. Her parents are August G. and Mary (Witkowski) Guvain. Mr. and Mrs. Osborne have one son, Harold. In politics Mr. Osborne is a sturdy Republican but has never sought any public office, belonging to that quiet intelligent, thoughtful body of men who believe that general good citizenship brings greater rewards than political position.
JAMES N. THOMPSON, who has met with a large degree of success as a farmer and stock-raiser in Morrill county, has been engaged in agricultural pursuits all his life. He was born at Shelbyville, Shelby county, Indiana, January 3, 1874, a son of George and Louisa (Heath) Thompson. The father was born in Indiana and the mother in Ohio. Her death occurred when she was fifty years old. The father engaged in general farming during his active years, but retired and lived in California until August, 1919, when he returned to Omaha, and in June, 1920 came to Morrill county, where he died November, 1920.
James N. Thompson was reared in his parents comfortable home in Shelby county and obtained his education in the public schools. Believing that land is the real source of wealth, he started out for himself with the determination to acquire it, locating first in Gentry county, Missouri, where he engaged in general farming until 1909, when he came to Nebraska and secured a homestead of two hundred acres in old Cheyenne, now Morrill county. There were many hardships to endure before Mr. Thompson found himself in easy circumstances, but through cheerful courage and industry they were overcome. He improved his first tract of land and has added until he now owns three hundred and sixty acres, ninety-six acres being irrigated and surprisingly productive and the rest fine grazing land. He does an extensive business in raising stock.
On September 24, 1902, Mr. Thompson was married to Miss Emma Harmon, who was born in Missouri, October 2, 1867, a daughter of Peter M. and Caroline (Coy) Harmon. Her father was born in Tennessee, where he was a general farmer before moving to a farm near St. Joseph Missouri, where his death occurred at the age of sixty-four years. Mrs. Thompson's mother was born in Missouri and still lives in St. Joseph. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have two children, a son and a daughter: Harmon, who was born July 3, 1904, and Mildred, who was born October 19, 1909, both of whom are being given excellent educational advantages. Mr. Thompson and family belong to the Presbyterian church. He has never felt inclined to take a very active part in politics but keeps well informed on all public questions. He is a man of honest motives and sterling character.
CLARENCE V. McRAE. -- It is not always the amount of land owned that makes a farmer of Morrill county, financially independent, but rather its location, its intelligent tillage and improvement and its development in the way of irrigation. The eighty acre farm of C. V. McRae, situated on section fifteen, town twenty-one, is an example. Mr. McRae has made the excellent improvements on the land himself and has fulfilled other conditions and now has one of the most productive farms of the county, where, as a citizen, he is held in high esteem.
Mr. McRae was born in Doniphan county, Kansas, December 17, 1880. His parents were Alexander and May (Bender) McRae, the latter of whom was born in Missouri and now resides in Washington county, Kansas. Mr. McRae's father was born at Toronto, Canada, came from there to the United state in 1860, and settled in Doniphan county Kansas. He was a general farmer and died in Washington county, Kansas, at the age of sixty-two years. Of his seven children, Clarence V. is the youngest surviving.
Mr. McRae had school advantages in his native state and was reared on his father's farm in Washington county. He continued a farmer in Kansas until 1907, when he came to Nebraska and for three years engaged in general farming in the eastern part of the state. In 1910, he came to Morrill county and home-
steaded, and has prospered ever since through industry and good management, He has always been a hard worker and his steady, earnest efforts have brought deserved reward.
In Washington county Kansas, Mr. McRae was married to, Miss Grace Grout, who was born there July 6, 1881. She is a daughter of Elmer and Mary (McAlister) Grout. The father was born in the state of New York and was a successful farmer in Washington county prior to his death. The mother was born in central Indiana and still lives in Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. McRae have the following children: Pearl, Lester, Opal, Genevieve, Luella, Mary Jane and Amy, a fine, representative Morrill county family. The Methodist church holds the family membership. An independent voter, Mr. McRae gives his political support to candidates of whom his judgment approves, and always may be found heartily co-operating with other good citizens for the general welfare.
ELWIN M. SPENCER, whose well improved farm of seven hundred and twenty acres is favorably situated in Morrill county, is not one of the old settlers of this section but is a native of Nebraska, born at Wymore, in Gage county. He is a son of William Isaac and Ida Bell (Henry) Spencer, who came from Fremont county, Iowa, to Nebraska in 1869. They settled first in Johnson county but later moved to Gage county.
Elwin M. Spencer was reared and educated in the neighborhood of Wymore, Nebraska. He was brought up on a farm and has always followed agricultural pursuits. He started for himself in Gage county and remained there for sixteen years, at the end of that time removing to Kansas, in which state he continued farming for ten years. In 1913, Mr. Spencer came back to his native state and bought six hundred acres of land to which he has added until he now has seven hundred and twenty acres, all ditched. He. has developed this land from the sod, has placed substantial improvements here and is prospering as a general farmer and extensive feeder of stock.
On August 28, 1910, in Republic county, Kansas, Mr. Spencer was married to Miss Ethel C. Donner, who was born in Kansas. They have three children: Lucile B., Otho D. and Paul J., all of whom are at home, the older children attending school. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer are members of the English Lutheran church. He is one of the directors of the Farmers Irrigation Canal project. In politics he votes independently according to his own judgment, and fraternally is identified with the Odd Fellows and Woodmen of the World. He is one of the county's representative men and good citizens.
S. W. DANIELS, deceased, was a resident of Morrill county for more than twenty years. He stood well with all who knew him. He came here an experienced farmer, homesteaded on section twenty-six, greatly improved his property and was numbered with the substantial and dependable men of the county. He was born in Pennsylvania, July 30, 1854.
Mr. Daniels obtained his education in the public schools and grew up on a farm. When he left Pennsylvania he went to Iowa as a farmer, later to Kansas and before coming to Nebraska, was a resident of Michigan. In February, 1900, he homesteaded where he lived and had one hundred and sixty acres of well developed, ditched land. He carried on general farming and raised pure bred Shorthorn cattle. While in Iowa Mr. Daniels was married to Miss Rhoda Eckley who was born in that state. At her death Mrs. Daniels left three children: Leo, who is a farmer in Morrill county; John, deceased; Mrs. Sadie Eckhart, who lives at Edison, Nebraska; and Mrs. Lyda Smith, who lives in Morrill county. In 1913, Mr. Daniels was married a second time to Miss Ada Van De Venter. Mrs. Daniels is a member of the Presbyterian church. In political life Mr. Daniels was a Republican. Mr. Daniels died January 30, 1920, leaving a sorrowing family and friends. His funeral was held at the Presbyterian church, and he was laid to rest in the Bayard cemetery after a long and useful life.
Leo Daniels, the eldest son of S. W. Daniels, was born in Nenominee county, Michigan, August 7, 1884. He was educated in the public schools and remained with his father, accompanying him to Morrill county in 1900. In 1910, he homesteaded for himself and now has a very good property consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, all ditched. He carries on general farming and takes much interest in his Shorthorn cattle, all thoroughbred. He annually feeds many hogs and raises horses and poultry for home use. He is considered one of the very successful young farmers of this section of the county.
Mr. Daniels was married March 11, 1918, to Miss Josephine Hoag, who was born near Blue Hill, Nebraska. Mr. Daniels has substantially improved his farm and they have very pleasant and comfortable surroundings. Like his father, Mr. Daniels is a Republican in politics.
HARTSON A. MARK has been progressive, both as a citizen and official in Garden county, and is most ably serving as county surveyor, with headquarters at Oshkosh.
Special interest attaches to the career of Mr. Mark by reason of his being a native of Nebraska and a member of one of the pioneer families. He was born at Belvidere, Thayer county, on June 17, 1875, a son of David and Delilah H. (Durfee) Mark, who were born and reared in the state of New York, where their mariage (sic) was solemnized and whence, they came to the west about 1870. The father filed entry upon a homestead in Thayer county, Nebraska, and in due time proved up on the property and developed it. He was one of the representative farmers and valued citizens of that county until he came to Scottsbluff county and established his residence at Gering, where he passed the remainder of his life and died at the age of seventy-three years, his widow now residing at Mitchell.
Hartson A. Mark was educated in the public schools of his native county, including the high school at Belvidere. When about eighteen years of age he rented land and began to farm in Thayer county, where he continued until he became of age. He then, in 1896, after having previously been employed in a blacksmith and general repair shop at Belvidere, came to the Panhandle country and settled at Gering, and became associated with his brother, G. E. Mark, who, without any previous experience, had purchased the Nebraska Homestead at Gering and embarked in the printing business. In the autumn of 1897, he, then having suffered from typhoid fever which left him too weak to continue the printing business, became apprenticed in a photographic studio at Gering, and finally purchased the establishment, which he ran until 1901. He then purchased a similar studio at Alliance, but in the following year he sold out, after which he was for a time manager of a photographic studio at Lead, South Dakota. Upon his return to Nebraska Mr. Mark located at Lincoln, where he was similarly engaged until the spring of 1905, in charge of the engraving department of the Cornell Photo Engraving Company. During this time he devoted himself to the study of concrete or cement engineering, and by 1905, had become well informed in the practical and scientific details of this industry, and established himself in business, as a contractor in concrete construction work, at Mitchell, Scottsbluff county. He erected the first concrete business block in the North Platte valley, at Mitchell. Mr. Mark continued his contracting business until 1907, when he established himself on a reclamation homestead near Morrill, Scottsbluff county. In the meanwhile he did a considerable amount of concrete contracting work. In 1907, he became one of the associate editors of the Nebraska Farmer. In 1911 he perfected his title to his reclamation claim and in the same year he rehabilitated the Gering Canal and did important work in the surveying of the Alliance irrigation canal, near Bayard, Morrill county. In the meanwhile his health had become somewhat impaired and in the spring of 1912, he found opportunity for gaining less strenuous open-air occupation, by going out on the land office retracement survey in Thomas and Grant counties. His health compelled him to abandon this work. In 1912 he founded and became editor and publisher of the Hammer, "The Builders' Tool, not a Brick-bat," a semi-monthly paper which was issued at Morrill and later moved to Gering and which gave special attention to shedding light on the reclamation service. In 1913, Mr. Mark went to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he accepted the position of efficiency engineer in the office of Up-To-Date Farming, a farm paper and the official publication of the Farmers' Society of Equity. Later he resigned to accept the position of engineer for the National Concrete Company, of Indianapolis. He retained this place until physicians advised him to leave Indiana, on account of the condition of his health. He then entered the service of the Illinois Bridge Company, as foreman of construction work. He was assigned to work on an important contract at St. Joseph, Michigan, and there, in August, 1913, he met with a serious accident, which disabled him and which led to his return to his home, at Gering, Nebraska.
In October, 1913, Mr. Mark established his residence at Oshkosh and after a few months in the office of the Oshkosh Herald, was empoyed (sic) to edit a magazine--Production--they were about to establish. This new publication being delayed, he taught one term of district school in this locality. He was then appointed deputy county surveyor, in June, 1914, and served until the following autumn, when he was elected county surveyor. The best evidence of his efficiency in this office was shown in his re-election in 1916 and again in 1918, and holds the post to the present time. In 1918, be became the owner of a tract of four acres adjoining Oshkosh, and has made good improvements there.
In politics Mr. Mark is a stalwart advocate
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller