NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




Kenneth W. McDonald was educated in the public schools at Pierce and graduated from the high school in 1892, then read law under a local attorney and completed his course in the Boston Law School. He entered upon the practice of his profession at Pierce, where he remained until 1913, a period of seven years, during which time he served Pierce county in the office of deputy county attorney for one year. At fiirst (sic) Mr. McDonald was alone in his practice at Bridgeport but subsequently admitted his brother-in-law, George W. Irwin, to a partnership. The firm is considered a very strong one and handles a large percentage of the important court business. In 1914, Mr. McDonald was elected county attorney on the Democratic ticket, was re-elected in 1916 and again in 1918.
   At Creighton, Nebraska, in March, 1913, Mr. McDonald was united in marriage with Miss Ethel G. Irwin, who was born at Creighton. Mr. and Mrs. McDonald have an adopted daughter, Margaret Elaine. They are members of the Episcopal church. Mr. McDonald is an advanced Scottish Rite Mason. He is a man of high personal character, has many times proved the sincerity of his citizenship in advocating worthy enterprises at Bridgeport, and during periods of great general concern and national stress, he has heartily cooperated with his fellow citizens in bearing the burdens.

    MILES J. MARYOTT has achieved high reputation as an artist and taxidermist and as a painter his technical skill is remarkable because his talent as an artist has been developed without instruction in either coloring and designing. Like Charles Russell and other celebrated western artists, he is entirely self taught, and his creative genius has found expression in many beautiful canvasses that have received the highest of critical commendation. The career of this native son of Nebraska may well be said to have been far aside from the beaten path and he had added to his laurels a remarkable record as marksman and as a baseball player. He and his widowed mother now reside in an attractive home at Oshkosh, Garden county, and it is gratifying to be able to give in this publication a brief review of his career. Mr. Maryott was born at Tekamah, Burt county, Nebraska, September 4, 1873, a son of Asahel K. and Emily (Herrick) Maryott. The former was born in Brookfield, New York and the latter in Chautaugque, New York in 1842. Their respective parents were early pioneer settlers at Hustisford, Wisconsin. Ashel K. Maryott began to farm in his native state, and came to Nebraska in 1865, before the admission of the territory to the Union. He was one of the pioneers of Burt county, where he took up a homestead, near the present village of Decatur, where he developed a productive farm. He continued his activities as an agriculturist and stock grower until 1884, when he sold his farm and removed to the vicinity of Cozad, Dawson county, where he secured a tract of land and continued farming on a more extensive scale, There he passed the residue of his life as his death having occurred in 1907. His political allegiance was given to the Republican party. His marriage was solemnized in Wisconsin, and his widow now lives at Oshkosh at the age of seventy-eight. They became the parents of five sons and four daughter, of whom the subject of this review was the seventh in order of birth.
   Miles J. Maryott was educated in the public schools of Cozad, Dawson county. He early developed marked skill in connection with the American "national game," and in baseball outside of Nebraska was made when he entered professional baseball activities, as a member of the team of Mankota, Minnesota. He played with this team in the seasons of 1895 and 1896, was with the Galesburg, Illinois, team for the ensuing season, and the Fort Collins, Colorado, team claimed him as a member for the season of 1898. For the three following years he played with the Kearney, Nebraska team, and for the first half of the season of 1902, was with the Keokuk team, of the Iowa state league, the remainder of that season he served with the Sioux City team, in the Western League. He terminated his professional career in baseball with the Wichita team, (Kansas), of the Western Association.
   In the meantime Mr. Maryott had not neglected his talent as an artist, and he has made a specialty of pictures of animals and birds, his work being principally in oils and many fine paintings stand evidences of his talent. He is conceded to be one of the best artists in the state and that in spite of the fact that he never has taken a. single lesson in painting. The same condition holds good in connection with his skill as a taxidermist, in which field of work he has been licensed both by the United States government and the state of Nebraska. He has one of the finest collections of native birds in Nebraska, besides which he has assembled one of the largest and most interesting collections of Indian relics to be found in the state. His, prowess as a marksman led to



his being retained in the service of the Peters Cartridge Company in 1907, in the capacity of expert marksman. In june (sic) of that year, in a contest held in the city of Chicago, Mr. Maryott tied for first place in the grand American handicap, and he has the reputation of being one of the foremost all-round marksmen in the world.
   Mr. Maryott has made the passing years bear to him an interesting and varied tribute, and he has maintained his home at Oshkosh since 1909. Here he is the devoted companion of his loved and venerable mother, and here he finds ample demands upon his time and attention in connection with his art and taxidermic work. He took four hundred and eighty acres of land under the provisions of the Kinkaid law, and has proved his title to this property, upon which he has made improvements that mark it as a valuable Garden county farm. In politics he supports the Republican party.

    WILLIAM L. LAW, who is now serving his second term as county commissioner of Garden county, established his residence here when the county was still a part of Deuel county, and has developed and improved one of the valuable farms of four hundred and eighty acres which is well situated twelve miles north of Oshkosh, the county seat. Here Mr. Law has secure vantage ground as one of the enterprising agriculturists and stock-growers of the county and the confidence in which he is held by the community is demonstrated by the office to which he was elected. As county commissioner he has advocated and supported measures that have furthered the civic and material welfare of the county, and he is known as a wide awake and progressive business man.
   William L. Law was born in Van Buren county, Iowa, on December 21, 1876, the second in order of birth in a family of three sons, his elder brother, Charles E., and his younger brother, John M., both being residents of Seattle, Washington, the mother having maintained her home at Seattle and Sumas, that state, since 1899. Mr. Law is a son of Lorenzo and Eliza (Meredith) Law, both were born in Iowa, where the respective families settled in the pioneer days. The father prepared himself for the medical. profession, and after his graduation from a medical college engaged in practice in Iowa until he removed with his family to Long Pine, Brown county, Nebraska, where he conducted a drug store until the time of his death, which occurred when he was fifty-one years of age. Dr. Law was a man of sterling character and high intellectuality and he was successful in the exacting work of his profession, having continued in active practice after engaging in the drug business at Long Pine. He was a Democrat in politics.
   William L. Law was educated in the public schools of Iowa and Frontier county, Nebraska, and began his career by engaging in farm enterprise, to which he gave his attention for a period of about eight years. For the ensuing two years he was engaged in the livery business at Lexington, Dawson county, and he then removed to Deuel county and took up a homestead in what is now Garden county. On this homestead, to the area of which he has since added, he has continued his vigorous activities as an. agriculturist and stock-grower and his able management has brought him success. He has made the best of improvements on his farm property. Mr. Law is one of the influential men of his community, has served thirteen years as school director of his district and is serving at the present time winter of 1919-20--his second term as a member of the board of county commissioners. Well fortified in his views concerning economic and governmental policies, he gives his political allegiance to the Republican party and is influential in its local councils in his county.
   In October, 1898, Mr. Law wedded Miss Mamie A. Sprague, who was born at Danville, Illinois, and who was a girl at the time of the family removal to Frontier county, Nebraska, where she was reared and educated, her father, John T. Sprague, a native of Indiana, having been a pioneer in Frontier county, where he took up and improved a homestead and where he continued his farm enterprise until 1909, since which year he has lived retired at Oshkosh, Garden county. Mr. and Mrs. Law have five sons and five daughters: Connie, Arthur, Lola, Sydney, Vera, Clyde, Rex, Ralph, Virginia, Vivian.

   WILLIAM F. GUMAER is a representative of one of the prominent and influential families of Garden county and the name which he bears has been most closely identified with the development and upbuilding of this section of Nebraska, as may be seen by reference to the sketches concerning his elder brothers, Judge Alfred W. Gumaer and Henry G. Gumaer, on other pages of this publication. Mr. Gumaer has been actively identified with industrial and business interests in Garden county and is now one of the principal stockholders and active executives of the Oshkosh Mercantile Company, which conducts an extensive and

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller