Resource Center, On-Line Library
MR. JOHN A. ORR AND WIFE.
is a native of Ireland. Mr. Mintle settled in Mills county, Iowa, in 1867, and here he reclaimed and improved a pioneer farm, to the supervision of which he continued to give his attention for many years. He is a staunch Republican in politics and both he and his wife are zealous members of the Holiness church.
Thomas C. Mintle was afforded the advantages of the excellent public schools of Glenwood, Iowa, and in his native county he continued his active alliance with farm enterprise until 1909, when he came to Scottsbluff county, Nebraska, and purchased a relinquishment to the land that constituted his farm, one hundred and sixty one acres of it being supplied with excellent irrigation facilities and all improvements and accessories being well arranged to insure his success as a vigorous exponent of agricultural and live-stock industry in one of the best counties in the state of Nebraska. In 1919, Mr. Mintle moved to Zillah, Nebraska, and purchased a fruit farm, to which he is now giving his attention. He is independent of political partisan lines but is always ready to support the various enterprises that tend to conserve the communal welfare and advancement. He and his wife hold membership in the Holiness church, in the faith of which he was reared.
1891, the dual bonds of matrimony united the life destinies of Mr. Mintle and Miss Stella Barbee, who likewise was born and reared in Iowa, and the three children of this union are Harry E., Everett and Floyd. Everett Mintle was married to Miss Blanche Tanner, March 1, 1919, and a little daughter was born to them, December 31, 1920.
JOHN A. ORR. -- To the stranger or interested visitor in Scottsbluff this busy, beautiful, growing city would seem many years older than it actually is, for it lacks none of the facilities for modern comfortable living and none of the opportunities for commercial enterprise. Many might also be surprised to learn that the pioneer business man of the city is still in active business and still engages very successfully in large commercial affairs. He is John A. Orr, who conducts one of the largest seed houses in this section and also sells more real estate than many of his competitors. A man past eighty-four years of age, he is busy every day in his office, does his own writing and attends personally to the details of his various business affairs with perfect possession of all his faculties and enthusiasm.
He was born on the Hudson river, in the state of New York, September 9, 1835. His parents were Benjamin J. and Mary S. (Folger) Orr, who spent their entire lives in New York. Of their thirteen children but two are now living, namely, John A. and Sarah E. The latter's married name is Jackson, and she lives at Glenns Falls, New York. By trade the father was a shoemaker. Until 1858 he was a Democrat in politics, but then became affiliated with the new Republican party and continued to approve of its principles as long as he lived. Both parents of Mr. Orr were sincere members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
As one in a large family when money was not very plentiful, John A. Orr had but limited educational advantages in his youth, beginning to work on a farm when he was twelve years of age, and following that occupation until the fall of 1856. But he cherished an ambition for a wider field of effort, and when he was twenty-one years old he decided that he wanted to see the new western country in his native land. He went to Chicago, then a small town, and continued on west to Galena, Illinois, the terminus of the railroad. From there he took a Mississippi river boat to Minneapolis, Minnesota, which only had two or three houses at that time. He continued his journey by stage to Sauk Rapids, Minnesota, about eighty miles from Minneapolis. There he worked a short time in a sawmill, and when that shut down he helped in the building of a church, and the following spring he took a contract to build five houses. His equipment for this task consisted mostly of good American nerve, for he had no capital and was not an expert carpenter, but having put in a bid and had the contract awarded to him. He knew no such word as give up. Procuring the lumber and other material on credit, he finished his contract, and with this start he continued in the contracting business at that point for about two years, and then returned east to visit his mother.
In 1860 Mr. Orr went to West Pawlet, Vermont, where he engaged in mercantile business for four years, then was appointed postmaster and served in that office and also as justice of the peace for eight years. He was married there and made his home in Vermont for a number of years. In 1888 he again came west and settled in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he was connected with an electrical supply house until he came to Scottsbluff county. He came here in the interest of the Farmers Canal Company and conducted a store for the company, transporting goods from Lincoln. This was a large irrigation enterprise which in later years has been carried to completion and has fully justified the ambitions of those who started it, but
in the early years of its progress it became involved in financial difficulties, and in 1896 Mr. Orr turned his attention to farming in the new country where he had cast his lot. He bought eighty acres of land and rented other lands. Later he sold his land at a very substantial profit, and came to the place where now is the city of Scottsbluff. He put up the first new dwelling house under contract that was built in Scottsbluff, operated the first lumber yard, and in connection with William H. Wright conducted the first real estate and loan office. He was one of the committee that raised the money to build the first Presbyterian church of Scottsbluff, that cost $5000, when there were only seven members. He took the district warrants and built the first school building in the city, which is still standing. In his loan business he has loaned money on land for outside investors, according to his own judgment, and although the amounts have been large and the loans many in number he has never lost a dollar for his clients. He continues in the real estate business, and few men in the North Platte Valley are better informed along that line than he. In addition he conducts his large seed business, the extent of which is proved by his books that show sales of seeds of all kinds in the present year amounting to over $12,000.
Mr. Orr was united in marriage with Miss Lucinda Whedon in 1862. She was a native of Pawlet, Vermont, and died at Scottsbluff February 1, 1907. She was reared as a Baptist, but on coming to Scottsbluff where there was no Baptist church she and her husband united with the Presbyterian church, of which she continued a devoted member during her life. She was a loving wife and mother and an admirable woman in every relation of life. To this union were born four children, namely: Horace W., who is in the hardware and plumbing business in Boston, Massachusetts; Alice D., principal of one of the public schools of Omaha; David A., who is in the plumbing business at Whitehall, Montana, and Andrew J., a prominent business man of Scottsbluff.
Mr. Orr is a member of the Masonic order and has always been a staunch Republican in politics. He has always been a temperate man and a strong advocate of temperance, and can point to himself as an example to prove his faith--hale and hearty and active in business in his eighty-fifth year.
Andrew J. Orr, youngest son of John A. and Lucinda Orr, was born at West Pawlet, Vermont, January 31, 1877. He obtained his education in the public schools of Lincoln, Nebraska, after which he followed farm work in Scottsbluff county until 1910. He then embarked in the Plumbing business at Scottsbluff, under the business style of the A. J. Orr Plumbing & Heating Company, which he has developed into a very important institution. The company does all kinds of tin and repair work, furnace and steam pipe fitting, and plumbing, a general contracting business being done in this line.
In 1904 Andrew J. Orr was united in marriage to Miss Ethel Sawyer, who was born in Weeping Water, Nebraska, and they have four children, namely: John Clifton, Vivian, Lucille, and Alice May, their ages ranging from twelve years to fifteen months. Like his parents, Mr. Orr is rearing his own family within the folds of the Presbyterian church. He is a Republican in politics and belongs to the Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows, and Modern Woodmen. For seven years he served as a member of the city fire department.
GEORGE H. HILLS has been a resident of Scottsbluff county since 1906, and has reclaimed and improved one of the valuable farm properties, situated near Scottsbluff. In addition to giving his careful supervision to all department of his farm enterprise, in which he has proved very successful as an agriculturist and stock-grower, Mr. Hills has served for the past five years as ditch rider and inspector in connection with the governmental irrigation system of the county, his own farm having excellent irrigation facilities. He took up the homestead of one hundred and fifty acres in 1906, and he still continues the work of improvement on the place, which he intends to make one of the model farms of this section of the state. He came here with practically no financial fortification and has achieved substantial and worthy success, while he holds secure place in popular confidence and esteem in his community. He is a Democrat in politics and while still a resident of Illinois he served two terms as township assessor. He was the promoter of the establishment of the first rural mail delivery route out of Scottsbluff and has been influential in connection with the affairs of the county water board, which has general control of the irrigation system in the county. He holds membership in the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Hills was born in Brown county, Illinois, and is a son of Charles and Rebecca (Farrington) Hills, who passed their entire lives in that state, where the father was a successful farmer until his retirement, when he established his home at Mount Sterling, where he passed his declining years. He was a staunch Democrat, served as county supervisor
and assessor, was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and both he and his wife were zealous members of the Baptist church. Of their eight children two are living. George H. Hills continued his residence in Illinois until his removal to Nebraska, and in the meanwhile he had availed himself of the advantages of the public schools, besides gaining practical experience in farm enterprise. Upon coming to Butler county, Nebraska, he engaged in farming, and there he remained until 1906, when he removed to Scottsbluff county, as has been previously noted in this context. He is one of the substantial men of the county and his course has been such as to commend him to the good will of all with whom he has come in contact.
In 1878, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hills to Miss Pauline Green, who likewise was born and reared in Illinois and whose death accrued (sic) in 1915 and who is survived by three children: Edna Meyer, of Scottsbluff; Myrtle, who is the wife of H. O. McKinnon, of Scottsbluff county; and Charles, is a successful farmer in this county.
GEORGE W. MOORE, one of the prominent early day railroad men of Cheyenne county and the Panhandle, was born near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He was educated in the public schools and at Madison, Wisconsin. While still a young man Mr. Moore came west arriving in Cheyenne county in 1870, where he became associated with the Union Pacific Railroad and was a railroad man until his death. For a time the rush to the Black Hills was on when gold was discovered, Mr. Moore engaged in the freighting business to the Black Hills. He owned sixteen outfits for this business, all teams of oxen and made a success of the enterprise. He was so occupied for several years, then returned to the employ of the railroad, worked up and became one of the prominent men in this field of endeavor, being assigned to the locomotive department.
In 1876, Mr. Moore married Miss Jane Sweet, a native of Wisconsin. They came west after their marriage to settle in Cheyenne county and became the parents of two children: Arnold, deceased, and George W., who lives in Sidney. Mr. Moore died in 1880. He was a member of the Methodist church.
Later Mrs. Moore was married to Dr. S. W. Boggs, who was born in Alleghany City, Pennsylvania. Dr. Boggs was educated in the public schools of his native state and then entered Jefferson Medical College, where he graduated. After completing his medical course the doctor was at Bellevie (sic) Hospital for special work to fit him for his profession. He came west in 1874, and became the pioneer physician of Cheyenne county, locating in Sidney. Dr. Boggs became a prominent man in this community was one of the most popular physicians who ever located here and took an active part in the development of the county and town. He devoted all his time to the practice of medicine but was also active in helping to build up Sidney.
1882, occurred the marriage of Dr. Boggs and Mrs. Moore and they had one child, Samuel W., who is a railroad man living in Sidney, being a conductor. Dr. Boggs was well and favorably known here until his, death, which occurred after many years of service here. He was a Mason and a member of the Presbyterian church.
Mrs. Boggs was later married to Arthur Ragon, who was born in Indiana in 1852. He was reared and educated in that state and after finishing his schooling learned the carpenter trade which he followed. Coming west in 1900, Mr. Ragon engaged in business in Sidney and was active as a contractor and builder until the time of his death. He built many of the fine buildings that are the pride of Sidney today and was one of the well known and well to do men of the community. Mr. Ragon was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and of the Christian church. He died in September, 1907. Mrs. Boggs is a member of the Lutheran church. She is one of the pioneer women who has lived to see Sidney develop from a small town to the prominent city of the Panhandle that it is today and has been a part of this for many years.
J. H. FERGUSON.-- In according recognition to the early settlers of Scottbluff (sic) county, mention should be made of J. H. Ferguson, for while he came here as a youth, he has been a resident of the county for nearly thirty-five years and has not only been an eye witness of the great changes that have taken place but with his father has been an important factor in the development of the industries of the valley.
Mr. Ferguson was born near Clarence, Cedar county, Iowa, in 1875, being the son of James and Isabella G. (Anthony) Ferguson, both natives of the Empire state, where they were reared and received their education advantages before coming west. James Ferguson learned the photography business in his youth, a vocation he followed several years before he determined to avail himself of the
cheap land to be had in the states of the west and emigrated from New York. The family first located in Iowa where the father engaged in general farming operations, but in 1886 they came to the Panhandle, becoming pioneer settlers of Scottsbluff county, as James Ferguson located on a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in old Cheyenne county. He began to raise potatoes, being the pioneer man in this enterprise of the upper valley. Later he disposed of the home farm and bought other land where he engaged in general farming and stock-raising. Mr. Ferguson and his wife were members of the Wesley Methodist church, he was a Prohibitionist in political belief and a man who took active part in the affairs of the community, having been precinct assessor at one time. There were seven children in the Ferguson family: Charles D., a real estate dealer of Scottsbluff; William E., a railroad man located in San Francisco; Fanny, the wife of James McKinley, of Scottsbluff county; Mary D., married F. G. Fanner, a farmer near Scottsbluff; J. H., of this review; C. B., a contractor of Minatare, Nebraska; and Minnie the wife of C. F. Shawver a farmer near Glendale, Arizona.
Mr. Ferguson was reared during early boyhood on his father's farm in Iowa, he attended the common schools of his district and accompanied the family to the Panhandle when he was eleven years old, then attended school in old Cheyenne county. After finishing school and when he had acquired sufficient capital Mr. Ferguson purchased three hundred acres of land near Gering in section twenty-four, township fifteen, most of which is under ditch. He has devoted considerable study to intensified farming under irrigation and has adopted modern methods and is well equipped with the latest type of machinery for his business. He now raises varied farm products and also is becoming a well known stock-raiser of his district. Mr. Ferguson is one of the progressive men of the Gering community who takes an active part in county affairs, he is a Republican in politics, served as county clerk from 1912 to 1916, and then assumed the office of register of deeds in 1917, serving one term and established a fine record as a public official.
In 1897, Mr. Ferguson married Miss Edna A. Lovelace, a native of Wisconsin and to them one child was born, Ruth, deceased.
JEFFERSON DAVIS FUGATE. -- The life of a professional or literary man seldom exhibits the striking or exciting incident that call public notice and fix attention upon a man. His character is generally made up of the many qualities and qualifications which are necessary for the successful prosecution of his duties of his vocation, though such mien are largely responsible for the formation of public opinion as they play such a large and important part in shaping it. Jefferson Fugate, editor and owner of the Henry Mesesnger (sic), may not deviate from this general rule but since attaining maturity his life has been a full one for he has had a varied career, has followed different occupations in several parts of Nebraska, for he has in turn been student, pharmacist, ranchman, promoter of a town, postmatser (sic), and now it the popular editor of one of the best edited sheets in Western Nebraska. In these several field his versatility his assisted him to well deserved prosperity.
Mr. Fugate was born in Missouri, March 31, 1863, during the closing years of the Civil War, and it may be that the spirit of that memorable conflict entered into his make up and given him the high courage, resourcefulness and determination that was a characteristic of the members of the armies, whether they fought under the Stars and Bars or the Stars and Stripes, for each fought for that high ideal which he believed was right. Mr. Fugate was the son of Elbert M. and Nancy C. (Hollcroft) Fugate, the former a native of the Old Dominion and a worthy representative of an old Virginia family that located in that state during its period of early settlement, while Mrs. Fugate was a Hoosier and had all the gracious characteristics of the daughters of that state. Seven children formed the Fugate family: James T., who resides in Missouri; Charles W., living in Greentop, Missouri; Jefferson, of this review; Robert, now a resident of Iowa; Isabella, who married Jefferson D. Fowler, of Greentop, Missouri; William E., who lives at Lovila, Iowa; and Drusilla, the wife of O. E. Campbell also of Greentop, Missouri. Elbert Fugate was a well to do farmer of Missouri, where he was known as a man of means and weight in the community. He lived to be an old man, passing away on December 21, 1918, having survived his wife who died in 1907. Both Mr. and Mrs. Fugate were members of the Primitive Baptist church.
As his father was a prosperous man young Jefferson was given excellent educational advantages. He first attended the public schools near his home in the country and being a farm boy grew up self reliant, resourceful and full of a determination to get ahead in the world. At an early age he realized that a good educa-
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller