NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




laundry of reinforced concrete with a floor space of forty-five by one hundred feet, and two stories high. This is one of the modern and best equipped laundries in the state.

    GEORGE LAUCOMER, one of Scottsbluff's capitalists and a prominent citizen, has been identified with many important undertakings since he came to Nebraska thirty-five years ago, having already behind him years of success, failure and again success in the Pennsylvania oil fields. Bearing with him, also, Mr. Laucomer had testimonials of which he might well be proud, proving how valiantly he had fought as a boyish soldier in defense of his country and won promotion because of his gallantry. It is the duty of the biographer to recall these days from the past and give them a true setting.
   George Laucomer was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, October 4, 1848, the son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Reed) Laucomer, who were born in Pensylvania (sic) of German parents. They spent their lives in Lancaster and Mr. Laucomer remembers that his father for many years was a man highly esteemed, acting as sexton of the German Reformed church, an office of great dignity. Of his ten children but two are living, George and Caroline, the latter being a widow and living at Sheffield, Pennsylvania.
   A schoolboy when the Civil War was precipitated, George Laucomer determined from the first that he would enter the Union army and defend the liberties endangered, and possibly when he succeeded in becoming a member of the One hundred ninety-fifth Pennsylvania volunteer infantry, in October, 1862, he was one of the youngest soldiers in the entire army organization. Nevertheless he bore himself as a man, serving under gallant General Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley and with such efficiency that when he was honorably discharged in June, 1865, he was corporal although the youngest member of his company.
   Mr. Laucomer did not return to school to complete his interrupted education, but he went back to Lancaster and served an apprenticeship of three years to the blacksmith trade and, according to the trade rule of the time, worked one year as a journeyman. Those were the busy days of oil development in his state and he soon drifted to Oil City, where at first he worked in a refinery, but later ventured into the business on his own account and made a fortune that a further venture caused him to lose just as quickly. He remained in the oil fields for fifteen years and during that time again made a comfortable fortune, after which he came to Nebraska, buying a ranch in 1884, in Frontier county, and for many years he was engaged in the stock business there. In 1907 he came to Scottsbluff county, bought a cattle ranch and additionally a large acreage, and continued in the stock business until 1909. He still owns a large amount of land that is worth $200 an acre. Mr. Laucomer is financially interested in the Independent Lumber Company and for some years was president of this important concern.
   In 1872 Mr. Laucomer was united in marriage with Miss Catherine Snader, who died in 1905, the following of their five children surviving: George, superintendent of an oil company in Montana; Charles, a prominent ranchman in Sioux county; Minnie, the wife of Henry Clingnian, of Ogden, Utah, and Dora, the wife of Arthur Jack, a merchant at Tekawah, Nebraska. In 1907, Mr. Laucomer married Miss Emma Frances Shroad, who was born at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Fred E. and Frances (Roth) Shroad, natives of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Laucomer's father was born April 6, 1846 and died in 1904. He served in a cavalry regiment in the Civil War. Of their nine children only two live in Nebraska, Mrs. Laucomer and Samuel, who farms a portion of Mr. Laucomer's land. Mr. and Mrs. Laucomer have one son, Franklin George, who was born June 15, 1914. In politics Mr. Laucomer is a Republican and at times has served in local offices and for six years was a justice of the peace. For some time he was president of the Farmers' Alliance of Dawson county. He has always taken great interest in the Grand Army of the Republic and has served as quartermaster of his post. Mr. Laucomer is known in many sections of Nebraska but since 1907 has resided in Scottsbluff, where he is held in universal esteem. He has always liberally supported local enterprises, has done much in the way of charity and has been generous to the Lutheran church of which he is a member.

   WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE, one of the owners of the Chadron Furniture Company of Chadron is a practical furniture man of many years experience, as he has been associated with the manufacturing and sales department of the furniture industry nearly all his business life and though a new merchant in this section is making good in his special vocation. Mr. White was born at Salem, Dent county, Missouri, January 7, 1885, the son of Ransom A and Martha (Buckner) White, both natives of Mis-



souri. William was the second of the five children born to his parents. His father was a veteran of the Civil War, having served in the army three years under General Marmaduke and participated in Price's Raid in Missouri and many battle and skirmishes. He farmed for several years and the family then lived in the country. Later the family moved to St. Louis and then to Springfield, Missouri, where the children attended school. After completing his course in the public schools Mr. White went to work for the Springfield Furniture Company in the factory and thus learned the business from the bottom up. He first swept sawdust up, advanced from that to more important work and then became foreman of the shipping department. After holding that position three years he entered the main office of the company and in six months was made time-keeper and assistant bookkeeper. Following this he went on the road as a salesman for the company and continued to travel for eleven years. His territory covered Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Iowa and Colorado. In this line he was very successful and built up a fine trade which led him to engage in an independent business in 1917, traveling for different kinds of furniture supplies but selling on a commission basis. He liked the independence of an enterprise of his own so well that in 1920, Mr. White came to Chadron where he already was well acquainted with the commercial outlook and purchased a third interest in the Chadron Furniture Company. From selling in this territory he knew that business was good and located here. Since coming to Dawes county he has taken an active part in the management of the store and inaugurated many policies that have increased business and though one of the later residents of the town has a bright future from the present outlook.
   July 4, 1920, Mr. White married Miss Louise Horine, who was born in Springfield, Missouri. She is a graduate of the high school there and Loretto Academy, specialing (sic) in languages. After finishing school she was assistant in the Carnegie Library in Springfield for a year.
   Mr. White is a member of the Knights of Pythias having taken the highest degree of that organization. He is a man of energy, knows the furniture business thoroughly, both manufacturing and salesmanship and is an addition to the commercial element that is building up and developing Chadron.

   MICHAEL CHRISTENSEN, Pioneer settler of Dawes county, prosperous ranchman and a man who has served as a public official with benefit to the county and credit to himself, is today one of the large landholders of the Panhandle who is regarded as one of the substantial and progressive men of his day. He has played his part in the opening up and development of Dawes county both in his private business and as county commissioner, and deserves place in the history of the county, where he has been well known for more than thirty years and is highly esteemed. Mr. Christensen was born in Denmark, October 27, 1859, the son of Chris and Christine (Mikkelsen) Christensen, both of whom were born, reared and spent their lives in their native land. Michael was the fourth in a family of seven children born to his parents. His father was a small farmer and brick maker. The boy was reared on his father's land and early displayed business ability as he would secure some article and trade it for something better and keep this trading up, always gaining on each deal. He attended the public school in the winter time and worked in the summers. At the age of twelve years he began to work in the brick yard and learned the trade of brick maker. He remained at this occupation, going to school at the same time, until he was fifteen then obtained his parents' consent to work for a large farmer for two years. He did not draw his salary but let it accumulate but made some money in trading deals. When seventeen years old, Mr. Christensen's father called him home to take charge of the brick yard where he was engaged two years. He then ran a small farm of his father's for a winter before attending college for a time. He had heard of the many opportunities for a young man in America and in 1882, came to the United States. Coming west, Mr. Christensen reached Cleveland, Ohio and as he did not understand English found it hard to secure work. He found a Dane with whom he could talk and who promised to help him, but his money was gone and he finally found a place in a stone quarry mill, where the stone was cut in blocks. At first he worked for very little, but soon learned some English, showed his ability and within a short time he was advanced. The second year he was made foreman of the mill.
   December 6, 1882, Mr. Christensen married Miss Catharine M. Albertson, at Cleveland, who was born in Germany, of Danish parents, Christian and Catharine (Smidt) Albertson and was the fourth of their six children. Mr.



and Mrs. Christensen have had eight children: Catharine, deceased; George C., a farmer near Chadron; Albert, a farmer near Chadron; Christiana M., in New York learning the millinery business; William B., married Alice Manchester of Chadron, and spent over a year in France during the World War, is now running his father's ranch on White river; Mike F., who farms with his brother; Franklin R., married Vernice M. Robinson and owns a farm southwest of Chadron; and Marion B., deceased.
   Remaining in Cleveland until 1886, Mr. Christensen came to Chadron, then the end of the railroad and took a pre-emption on White river on which he proved up, then took a homestead adjoining. He at once began improvements on his ranch where he lived until 1898. The Christensens passed through all the hardships and privations of life in a new country. Wheat was introduced, he became one of the fine farmers and also, a stock man. With increased capital he began to buy more land, as he saw there was a great future in the Panhandle and now owns about five thousand acres, used for farming and grazing purposes. After accumulating a comfortable fortune he retired from the active work of the ranch, leaving that to his sons and now lives in his comfortable home in Chadron, honored and respected by all his business associates and friends. With his sons Mr. Christensen is interested in raising registered Hereford cattle of the Anexiety Fourth strain. They have from three to four hundred head all choice registered cattle on the ranch and will have about the same amount the next year, as they find them profitable and make money from beef cattle. In addition there is about four hundred acres planted to alfalfa, and many acres to other farm crops. The Christiansen ranch is one of the fine properties in Dawes county; it is well watered, has good buildings which have cost about fifteen thousand dollars; is fenced and cross-fenced and the hay land cuts from five to six hundred tons a year.
   Mr. Christensen has not confined all his time to his personal business but has taken an active part in public life, as he was elected county commission in 1914, on the Democratic ticket and served four years. During his term of office he was instrumental in putting in the first road grading in the county and also took part in other County matters of benefit to the people, for he is progressive in his own business and applied the same methods to the affairs of the county, giving them the benefit of his shrewd business judgment and executive ability. The various public works he inaugurated in Dawes county stand as a monument to him, for he is a booster for his county and community and is every ready to assist every good movement that will benefit the people. Mr. Christensen is a man who has made good in this section of the state and proved that a man of energy and the determination to succeed can overcome all obstacles and has builded (sic) wisely and well.

    JOHN H. GLENN, a retired farmer of Chadron, who for many years was engaged in the teaching profession in Ohio and later here in Nebraska, is a man who has won a high place in the esteem of the people whom he served long and faithfully. He was born in Cleremont county, Ohio, November 11, 1861, the son of John W. and Martha (Creamer) Glenn, the former a naive of Scotland, while the mother was born in Cleremont county, Ohio. John Glenn was the youngest in a family of six children and is the only one living. His father was a United Brethren minister who preached for fifty years. John Glenn spent his boyhood in his native county in Ohio and attended the public schools there until he was nine years old, when his parents moved to Clinton county, near the town of Blanchester, where they lived the remainder of their lives. When only seventeen years old John Glenn had a certificate to teach, but as it was against the law to allow anyone under twenty to have charge of a school he attended the State University, at Lebanon, Ohio, for two years and began his first term of school when twenty years old and has taught thirty-two years altogether. Mr. Glenn progressed in his chosen vocation and was in charge of various schools in Ohio where he won a reputation as a fine teacher.
   December 24, 1882, occurred the marriage of John Glenn and Miss Isabella Goodwin, at Blanchester, Ohio. Mrs. Glenn was the daughter of Levi and Hannah (Runyon) Goodwin both American born but of Irish parentage. Mrs. Glenn was next to the oldest in a family of ten children, all of whom are living and there were eighteen grand-children but one small child died and Raymond Goodwin was killed in action in France, in 1918. Another brother, John Goodwin was wounded by the shell that killed his brother. Mr. and Mrs. Glenn have one child, Bertha, and Eva Hazel Bowen, who was adopted by them when five weeks old.
   The Glenn family moved from Ohio to South Dakota in 1908, and located near Buffa-



lo Gap on a homestead. They remained there about twenty months, proved up on the land and sold it to advantage. Coming to Chadron Mr. Glenn accepted a position in the railroad yards of the Northwestern railroad in the summer and continued his old profession of teacher in the winter. Remaining in Chadron until 1914, the Glenns then took a homestead eight miles south of the town, which they still own. Mrs. Glenn says that she feels she earned her share of the farm as they had a well a hundred and seventy-six feet deep where she assisted in pumping the water for nine head of stock, as well as for household use. Mr. Glenn continued to hold his position with the railroad in Chadron walking eight miles back and forth from the farm each day for a time. Then they bought a horse and buggy and later a car. In 1918, the Glenn family moved into Chadron and rented the Old Foster building where Mrs. Glenn and her daughter kept a rooming house. They made a success of this business and in 1920, bought the building known as the McFadden Building on Eagan street, where Mrs. Glenn and her daughter are running an up-to-date rooming house and now serve excellent meals in a cafe which is connected with it. They are capable business women and have won a high place in the town since engaging in hotel business. They have many friends in Dawes county and are substantial reliable citizens. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church while Mr. Glenn belongs to the Masonic order, is an Odd Fellow and a Pythias as well as the Modern Woodmen, having filled all the different chairs in these lodges.

    WILLIAM H. REYNOLDS, the mayor of Chadron and well known dealer in real estate here, is one of the pioneer settlers of this section whose figure stands out prominently in political and municipal affairs of the county as he has taken an important part in the settlement and development from first locating here. Few men are better known and liked and few have willingly assumed so many of the burdens of public life for the benefit of the citizens of Dawes county and the town of Chadron. Mr. Reynolds was born in Morgan county, Illinois, July 13, 1849, the son of James M. and Amelia (Hand) Reynolds, the former born in Virginia, while the mother was a native of Illinois. To them twelve children were born, William being the tenth in order of birth. He spent his younger days in Morgan county, worked on the farm in the summer time and attended school during the term. His mother died when the boy was six years old and his father when he was eleven years old. He worked as a farm hand during the summer months, and attended country school in the winter time. Later he attended Whipple Academy and Illinois College, paying his way by working in a store. After leaving college at the age of twenty-three, he went to Missouri, locating on a farm in Harrison county, where he engaged in farming for himself. Two years later, in February, 1875, Mr. Reynolds married Miss Elizabeth Waltz, a native of Ohio, a daughter of John W. and Susan (Swan) Waltz, the latter born in Ohio. One child was born to this union, Eleanor B. who married Reverend Fred Hall, a Presbyterian minister of New Jersey. Mrs. Hall is a graduate of the normal school at Chadron and Doane College, of Crete, Nebraska. Mr. Hall is also a graduate of Doane College, and took a graduate course at Yale University. During the World War he spent eighteen months in government service with the Y. M. C. A., being assigned to work in Ireland, England, and was one of the few Y. M. C. A. men to accompany the American forces to Arch Angel, Russia.
   Mr. Reynolds came to Dawes county in 1884, while it was still unorganized territory, being secretary of the Missouri Colony which settled near the present site of Chadron. He built a log house on Bordeaux creek and was fortunate in always having an abundance of water. With his wife he suffered all the hardships and privations of frontier life and in 1884 and 1885 the settlers were forced to get supplies from Valentine, a hundred and thirty-five miles distant. During that winter there was a heavy fall of snow which laid long, the mercury was very low and the people ran short of provisions so that it was necessary to make the trip for supplies. On the way back the teams were stuck and Mr. Reyonlds (sic) and H. S. McMillan took a four horse team and scoop shovel and helped rescue the party. In the spring the settlers gathered enormous supplies of bones from the prairie which they exchanged for groceries.
   For seven years, Mr. Reynolds lived on his homestead, then in 1890 became clerk in the Government Land Office at Chadron; in 1992, he was elected county clerk of Dawes county on the Republican ticket and served two terms. When Dawes county was organized in 1885, Mr. Reynolds was active and played an important part in county affairs and organization. He was elected State Senator from dis-

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller