NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




stead. Mr. Jacobson died in 1913, leaving a family of eight children: Angeline, the wife of Herman Runquist, of Deuel county; Amanda, the wife of Ed Olson, of Deuel county, and the following children who are single; Horner, Archie, Edith, Floyd, Gladys and Bertha. When Mr. Swanson left Sweden he brought with him an eight year old boy whom he adopted, Nels, who now lives in California.
   Mr. Swanson is a Republican and a member of the Swedish Lutheran Church. He has been successful in his business and today is regarded as one of the good solid men of his district.

    RICHARD E. BEAN, commonly known as Dick Bean, was born in the state of Arkansas in 1853. He moved with his father to Heneretta (sic), Texas, when he was two years old, and lived with his father on a farm until he was about fifteen years old. He then ran away from home, and hired to a trail herd coming to Ellsworth, Kansas. He returned to Texas and worked on trail herds between Texas, Kansas, and Nebraska until 1874, working on Texas ranches during the winter months and leaving for the north on trail herds about the 1st to the 15th of March, during this period. The last trip he made up the trail he drove to Lowell, Nebraska.
   He then began working on the northern ranches, and from then on became identified with the northwest Nebraska country. From 1874 to 1876 he worked on various ranches between Lowell and North Platte City. After this date he accepted employment with Bosler Brothers & Company, located on the north side of the North Platte river. Their range was the river front from Brown's creek to Blue creek and north to Bronco Lake where Alliance is now situated. This company ranged about forty-five thousand head of cattle. In this herd were about twenty. different brands of cattle and several brothers interested in different propositions which made it difficult for the ordinary brand man at the shipping season. It was in this line that Dick Bean rapidly developed, he and Gene Hall working together. He developed this into a science which was phenominal (sic). He developed a facility wherein he could remember cattle like some men today remember men. Whenever a cow passed in front of his vision it was not uncommon for him to remember this cow for a period of a year and would not need to look at the brand to dentify (sic) it. These cattle were always classified in what was commonly called Lone Tree Bottom about twelve miles northwest of Ogallalla, where they were rounded up and sorted as to brands.
   This job of classifying cattle was handled the same as cattle are counted on the range today, the counter or classifier took his place at the head of the string and as the cattle passed by him would call out the different brands to two tally men, (usually owners); this position was always occupied by Dick Bean in this outfit. He was always backed up by one top hand, usually Gene Hall, a personal friend and partner of Dick Bean. It was his job to keep the stringing cattle from breaking back of the classifier; hence the following little story by Gene Hall, today a prominent cattleman residing at Alliance, Nebraska. These cattle were wild as deer; while working them, and in spite of all he could do, there were times when as high as seven to ten head would break around him, and it would be Hall's job to spot these cattle. His correct position would be on the left side, and as all these cattle were branded on the left side it makes the following statement regarding Bean even more remarkable. When a break of this kind occurred, whenever possible, Bean would block the string and glance over the cattle from the right side and call the cattle such as: "four B bar," "three half circle B," and three O. B. O." and holler out to Gene Hall, "let 'em go." Mr. Hall used to try to catch Dick Bean in a mistake on this work, as he would always be on the left side, (and which was his job to do so), but makes the statement in all their work together he never knew him to make a mistake in this way, which shows Dick Bean's wonderful memory for individual cattle.
   He developed into the most valuable employee on the Bosler Brothers & Company ranch and was often tendered the foremanship, but declined every overture of this nature. On account of his mother's death when he was three years old he was deprived of an education, and did not feel he was capable of handling this outfit, but whenever anything of importance came up Dick Bean was consulted and his judgment and ideas were always followed out by the management. In December, 1884, the Ogalalla Land & Cattle Company was organized, the first herds purchased being the W. A. Paxton and Ware herds, and the Shiedly Brothers herd. In August, 1884, Dick Bean left the employ of Bosler Brothers & Company and was immediately employed by W. A. Paxton and Ware and when the Ogalalla Land and Cattle Company was organized was placed in charge of their outfit on the north side of the Platte river. A peculiar instance occurred here



wherein Bean refused to accept this position unless they agreed to furnish him a bookkeeper to handle this end of the work, as all that Bean could write at this time was his own name. In February, 1885, the Ogalalla Land & Cattle Company bought out the Bosler Brothers & Company outfit, which threw Bean back in direct control of the old brands and a herd with which he won his reputation as a cowman. This outfit branded into one of the biggest cattle outfits in the northwest, their books calling for seventy-seven thousand head of cattle. This outfit was operated by three foremen, Dick Bean from Blue Creek east, Mac Radcliffe on the south side of the North Platte river, and Gene Hall from Blue creek west. Dick Bean continued in the employ of the Ogalalla Land & Cattle Company until the latter part of 1888, then took a homestead on White Tail creek and went into the ranch business for himself and became well to do. He intended to be married in the year 1894, and went to the town of Ogalalla, and on the way home with a load of lumber to build a new home for his porspective (sic) bride, his team ran away on what was known then as Seven Crook Hill. The lumber not being bound on the wagon came loose and a two by four caught in the wheel, whirled around and struck him on the side of the head, killing him instantly, which ended the life of one of the greatest cowmen that was ever in the northwest.

    EMMETT JAMES was born in Goliad, Texas. His parents died when he was a small boy and he had his living to make alone. He rode race horses for four or five years and in 1877, came up the Texas trail with a herd of cattle and upon his arrival at Ogalalla, entered the employ of the Bosler Brothers Cattle Company, and remained with this concern until the fall of 1883. He was a great friend of Dick Bean. After leaving the Bosler Brothers, he engaged with the Heart Cattle Company, which was owned by W. A. Paxton and W. H. Parker, as foreman, and then was taken over by Paxton and Bosler. He remained foreman for this company until the summer of 1886, when this company was bought out by the Ogallala Land & Cattle Company. This was Mr. James last experience as a range "Cow man," he located on a small ranch in the sand hills about fifteen miles cast of Alliance, Nebraska. Having saved about thirty-six hundred dollars in nine years of range work, he bought about a hundred head of cattle as a start in the live stock business. Mr. James was of a peculiar temperament, and very quick to take offense, often without any provocation, and just as quick to recover his equanimity, and apologize for his hasty temper and was a very conscientious man, being honest to the penny, and above reproach. He, like Dick Bean, had only education enough to sign his name. Dick Bean was level headed, and never got excited without cause, but both men were well liked and courageous to the limit. Emmett James was married in June, 1889, and died the following November. He was buried in Alliance. His death resulted from an injury caused when he fell from a wagon.

    ASA REMSBERG was reared and educated in the historic old state of Maryland, where he was born in Frederick county, September 24, 1853, but in following out the course of his youthful ambition he came to the west when about twenty years of age, his first definite action being to assume as soon as possible the prerogatives and dignities of a cowboy. He was thus employed about one year in connection with the herding of cattle under the conditions of the great open ranges in the Lone Star State, but after an experience of about one year he trailed a "bunch" of cattle through from Texas to Ogallala, Nebraska, and shortly after his arrival he entered the employ of the Chadley Brothers Cattle Company, of Big Springs, now in Deuel county. He continued as a valued member of the outfit of this pioneer cattle company from 1878 to 1884, and thereafter he was in the employ of the Ogallala, Company until 1887,--principally in the capacity of wagon boss. He then made a trip to Texas in the interest of the Rush Creek Cattle Company, and at this time he assembled and shipped up to Nebraska headquarters of the company about thirteen hundred head of cattle.
   In 1887, Mr. Remsberg, who had gained full knowledge concerning this western country and its possibilities, decided to make his appreciation one of somewhat more definite order, and accordingly he took a homestead claim in that part of old Cheyenne county that is now comprised in Morrill county. He proved up on this original homestead, as did he also on a preemption claim and a tree claim in the same locality, and there he gave his attention principally to the raising of cattle and horses. Finally he sold his land on the south side of the North Platte river, and on the ranch which he purchased on the north side of the river he continued his successful cattle and horse industry until 1903, when he sold



his stock to the Rush Creek Cattle company, in the employ of which representative corporation he has since continued, his position being that of foreman of the outfit and his broad and varied experience make him an authority in the multifarious details of the live-stock business. Mr. Remsberg now owns some land in Garden county, and on the Belle Fourche river in South Dakota he owns about seven hundred acres of valuable grazing land. Mr. Remsberg owns the Ford garage buildings and the pool hall building in the village of Lisco, as well as an attractive residence property in this thriving town. He is well known throughout this section of Nebraska and is a pioneer citizen who can muster his friends in veritable battalions. His political support is given to the Republican party and he is a popular and appreciative member of Alliance Lodge, No. 963, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Alliance. His name remains boldly emblazoned on the list of eligible bachelors in Garden county.
   In conclusion it may be stated that Mr. Remsberg is a son of John and Adaline Remsberg both of whom passed their lives in Maryland; where the father was a farmer by vocation, he having been about eighty years old when he passed from the stage of mortal life, and the mother of the subject of this review having died when fifty years of age.

    JOHN R. WERTZ, president of the First National Bank of Chappell, well known pioneer business man and successful real estate dealer of the Panhandle, is one of the practical, self-made men of this section and Deuel county who have so materially helped in the development of western Nebraska. He was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, January 1, 1872, the son of John W. and Jane (Oliver) Wertz, both natives of the same county, the former born there in 1828 and the mother in 1832. The father was a farmer in his native state, spent his life there and died in 1872. The mother survived until 1904. Mr. Wertz voted the Democratic ticket but never held office. He and his wife were members of the Lutheran Church. There were seven children in the family, of whom four are living, but John R. is the only one in this part of the country.
   In his youth Mr. Wertz had but little opportunity to obtain a good education as he attended the public schools for only about two months each year. At the age of eighteen he started out for himself, coming west in 1890, he located here in Deuel county on a homestead on which he never proved up. After locating the claim he erected a sod house with board roof, bought a load of furniture which was installed and had his home ready for occupancy, but during an absence of ten days some other settler stole the roof and furniture so he never lived there, came to town and never went back. For about two years Mr. Wertz owned and ran a livery stable but sold the barn, house, three lots, teams, buggies and horses for eight hundred dollars and later the same property was sold for eight thousand. In 1892, Mr. Wertz opened a hardware store in Chappell, carrying a line of furniture, farm implements, and for sixteen years was known as one of the leading progressive merchants of the county. He made many warm friends and was elected county treasurer on the Democratic ticket in a county that is known to be overwhelmingly Republican, but political lines were not thought of when his business ability and high standing in the community were of value to the citizens. Soon after leaving this office, in 1909, Mr. Wertz opened a real estate business in which he has since been engaged. Since first locating in the county he has taken an active part in public affairs and for more than seven years has been the president of the First National Bank, holding a large block of stock and it has been due largely to his able direction of the policies of the bank that it has gained the confidence of the people as a sound financial institution. For several years Mr. Wertz served on the town board and during his office advocated many improvements for the municipality.
   November 15, 1909, Mr. Wertz married Miss Blanche Francoeur, the daughter of Adolphus and Alma Francoeur, early residents of Deuel county, the former now deceased but the mother still makes her home here. Two children have been born to this union: John D. and Paul R.
   Mr.. Wertz is a member of the Masonic order, has held all offices in the organization and for the past two years has been past master of the lodge at Chappell. He is one of the self-made men of this section who has made good in the Panhandle, for today he is recognized as one of the leading bankers and best known real estate men in western Nebraska where he conducts a large and profitable business.

   JACK G. McCORMACK, the efficient county treasurer of Deuel county, is a native son of Nebraska of Irish extraction and the saying that the Irish-American "always succeeds" in whatever line of endeavor he may choose



for life work has been ably exemplified in the career of this official, who while still a young man stands high in his community and holds a position of trust.
   Mr. McCormack was born at Crete, Nebraska, November 15, 1885, the son of Christ and Maggie (Wood) McCormack, both natives of Ireland who came to America while still young people. Soon after landing on our shores they came west and in the spring of 1886 took up a homestead near Big Springs, Deuel county. The father had been a farmer in his native land, so followed the same vocation here, meeting with many hardships but, still persevering. After eleven years on the homestead the family moved to Lewellen where the parents still live, retired. Two of the sons now manage the home place. Mrs. McCormack was a well educated woman; taught school in her home several years and later had charge of the district school a mile away, taking her younger children along with her and often times carrying one that distance. Mr. and Mrs. McCormack are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; they helped organize the earliest in this section and have been two of its main supporters. Mr. McCormack is a Republican in politics but has never cared for public office.
   There were six children in the family, of whom the following are living: Jennie, the wife of Cal Orr, of Lewellen; Jack, of this sketch; Edward, who married Birdie Eggers, lives in Lewellen; Robert, on the old homestead; and James, who married Wanda Beddo, also on the old farm. In the early days the family suffered all the trials of drought and had only one crop in eleven years, but kept the farm and made a living by keeping twenty milk cows and selling the cream.
   Jack McCormack was educated in the public schools at York and later took a business course at a business college at Grand Island. When only twenty-two years of age he started out in life for himself and can be said to be self-made. He taught school two years before being elected county clerk, a position he efficiently filled seven years, acting in the capacity of judge for nearly two years in addition to his other duties. On January 12, 1919, Mr. McCormack was elected county treasurer of Deuel county on the Republican ticket and is still in office. For about eight years he has been abstractor of the county, keeping most careful records, and giving entire satisfaction.
   On August 8, 1913, Mr. McCormack married Miss Charlotte Davis, the daughter of David and Emily (Chambers) Davis, pioneer settlers of this county. Two children have been born to this union: J. Weldon and Byron Eugene. Mr. and Mrs. McCormack are members of the Methodist Church and the latter of the Ladies' Aid Society and Home Craft Society, both church organizations. Mr. McCormack is a member of the Masonic Order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, having been through all the chairs of this lodge. For some years he has been treasurer of the county high school and is regarded as one of the substantial and rising men of his community.

   HARVEY I. BABCOCK. -- There has been naught of austerity, doubt or indirection in the progressive career of the able and popular cashier of the First National Bank of Chappell, Deuel county; for he has been content to employ effectively the means at hand and has by his own ability and efforts risen to a place of prominence as one of the representative figures in financial circles in western Nebraska, which has been his home since he was a lad of about sixteen years and in which he is a scion of a sterling pioneer family.
   Mr. Babcock was born at Ridgeport, Iowa, September 19, 1870, and is a son of Reverend William H. and Luceba (DeWolf) Babcock, the former a native of the state of New York and the latter of Illinois. The father was a man of high attainments, having not only been a skilled physician and surgeon but also having long given devoted service as a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was engaged in the practice of his profession in Iowa until he came with his family to Nebraska and engaged in practice at Bradshaw, York county. In 1886, he came from that county to that part of old Cheyenne county that now constitutes Deuel county, and became a pioneer physician at Chappell, where he also established and conducted a drug store. A man of noble character and unbounded human sympathy and tolerance, he endeared himself to all with whom he came in contact in his various ministrations and other activities in the pioneer community, and a deep feeling of personal loss and bereavement was felt by the community when he died June 18, 1895. In the year of his arrival in the present Deuel county he organized the first church and Sunday School within its borders, and he served several years as pastor of this church, now the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Chappell. He was a staunch Republican and by virtue of his broad views and sterling character was well equipped for leadership in community thought and action. He served several years as coun-

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller