Resource Center, On-Line Library
some years then moved to Illinois in 1860, locating an a farm in Shelby county. He had been in Cook county, over the site of the present city of Chicago, then far from a great city. There were ten children in the Zalman family, eight of whom survive, but Godfrey, of this review, is the only one in Deuel county. The parents were members of the Lutheran Church.
Mr. Zalman was educated in the public schools of Illinois, and learned farm business under his father. When only twenty-two years of age he began his independent financial career as an agriculturist, a vocation he has followed all his life. November 15, 1882, Mr. Zalman married Miss Anna Barth in Shelby county, Illinois; she was the daughter of John and Margaret (Hauk) Barth, residents of Illinois, now deceased. Six children were born to this union, of whom five live: Bertha, the wife of Jack Bottles, of Oshkosh, Nebraska; Louis, of Deuel county; Myrtle, the wife of Nicholas Kollsen, of Denver, Colorado; Maggie, the wife of Martin Wendt, of Garden county, and Edna, at home.
Mr. Zalman came to Deuel county in the fall of 1893, took up the homestead where he still lives near Big Springs, starting with little equipment. There was a small shack on the place and a well, which was important. He says that he started farm life with a team and old wagon; one horse soon died and he later bought a span of mules. He admits that he is self-made, had practically nothing to start with and today has a well equipped farm with good buildings, is comfortably situated financially, and all is due to his own good work and determination to succeed. The first years were hard; then came a few years of good crops, but he had to work during haying time to help buy supplies in the poor years. Their fuel was buffalo chips and all had to work hard. They milked cows and sold butter at ten cents a pound, which shows what the times were. Today Mr. Zalman operates a farm of sixteen hundred and eighty acres, mostly range land, but he has the latest machinery for that farmed. He is a Democrat, has been moderator of his school district for many years, is a member of the Farmers Elevator Company in which he holds stock, at Big Springs, and with his wife is a member of the Lutheran Church.
CHARLES P. CHAMBERS. -- There is no man more widely known and no man more closely concerned with educational and public affairs and county developments than the man whose name is announced by this title line.
In a wide circle of the county he is known to everyone as "Judge Chambers." No history of Cheyenne county or the state of Nebraska would be complete without his name. For more than a third of a century this scholarly man has made his home in the vicinity of Sidney, where he has engaged in his educational profession. He has been connected, from first locating here, with the educational interests of the county, and by sheer force of character, learning and ability of a high order he has imbedded his name deeply and permanently in the school history of the county and the Panhandle.
While pride of ancestry is not a marked characteristic of the American citizen, it is, nevertheless, not only natural but highly commendable that one should feel a just pride in the fact that he has descended from ancestors who were well known in their day and generation. With this thought in mind it is hoped that a brief account of the parents of Charles Chambers will not be deemed inappropriate in the sketch of their son.
His father, Jobe Chambers, was a native of New Jersey, descended from some of the first settlers who located in this eastern state at an early day, of excellent European blood, while his mother Anna Jones, was born in England, and represented some of the best traits of the inhabitants of that tight little island who have played such a great and important part in colonizing the entire world. Mrs. Chambers was but eleven years of age when brought to the United States by her parents, and though she had already attended school in England completed her education after landing in America. Jobe Chambers was born in New Jersey and was but six years of age when his parents removed to the then wilds of Indiana, and there he passed his childhood and youth, receiving his educational advantages in the state of his adoption, grew to manhood and when his school days were over engaged in business. He came of healthy, sturdy stock and has already passed beyond the psalmist's span of "three score years and ten" as he is still living in Indiana at the advanced age of eighty-three years and takes an active interest and part in the life of his, community.
Charles P. Chambers was born in Bowling Green, Indiana, November 12, 1858. His boy hood was passed on his father's farm, where he attended the public schools of his locality in the winter and during the summers found occupation on the farm. His father being an educated and cultivated man he gave his son every advantage in training to fit himself
for the battle of life. After completing the course in the local institutions the young man matriculated at the Central Normal College of Danville, Indiana, and upon graduating from the college, animated by an ambition to give full scope to his abilities, he entered a business college in Indianapolis, Indiana. At the close of this course of special study, Mr. Chambers entered the pedagogic profession by accepting the position of teacher in Indiana, where he was engaged in professional service for three years before removing farther west to the state of Iowa, where he again became the guide and instructor of the rising generation of that commonwealth. Having been reared on a farm and being experienced in the practical management of agricultural business Mr. Chambers after coming west decided to become a land holder himself, and, in 1885, chose Nebraska for his future home. After looking about for the best location he settled on a homestead eleven miles southeast of Sidney in a valley of a branch of Lodgepole creek. Thus he became one of the pioneers of this section. More than thirty-four years have passed since Mr. Chambers first came to Cheyenne county, which at that time, while not the veritable wilderness of the early seventies, was still sparcely (sic) settled, habitations were few and civilization was still in primitive form. He first establshed (sic) a home for his family and made such permanent, improvements on his land as was possible so far from sources of supply. Money was a scarce commodity at this period on the plains and very soon he saw that it would be necessary to have more capital to carry on the improvements he had planned for his farm. Having been a successful teacher farther east, he turned to his profession in this time of stress and assumed the duties of preceptor in the district school and later in the town of Lodgepole. His marked ability could not pass unnoticed and within a short time Mr. Chambers was elected county superintendent for four years, where he displayed such admirable qualities that the voters of the county showed their appreciation of his ability by placing him in office as deputy clerk of Cheyenne county. Following close upon the discharge of his duties in this capacity he was again elected county superintendent of schools, serving two years before coming to Sidney to accept an excellent position in the city school, but after four years here was forced to give up professional life as his health had been materially assailed by the indoor life and close confinement incident to his duties to the community, and being advised by his physician to live out doors, Mr. Chambers went out onto his ranch. As his capital had increased the original Kincaid homestead had been augmented by other tracts which Mr. Chambers purchased in the vicinity, so that by this time his landed estate consisted of over twelve hundred acres. He at once assumed active management of the farm which already had excellent improvements in the way of a comfortable home, excellent farm buildings and late and improved farm machinery for the lightening of labor about the place. For years Mr. Chambers had given much attention to farm industry, had studied up on the best crops for this semi arid climate and what kinds of stock thrived best and were the best money makers. All this store of knowledge he applied to his farm business upon locating in the country and within three years his marked success as a diversified farm producer and stock-raiser was recognized throughout this district which is well known for its progressive agriculturists and stockmen. After regaining his health Mr. Chambers returned to Sidney to establish his home as he wished to give his children the benefit of the excellent educational advantages afforded in town, though he still continued the active management of his ranch and thus gained the benefit of the outdoor life which this entailed. In 1915, however, he rented the ranch as the year before he had been elected county judge, and in order to devote his time and energies to the duties of this exacting office gave up the management of the place. Judge Chambers was elected on a non-partisan judicial ticket, which shows how high is his standing in the community which has called upon him to serve it, and filled the office with such credit that he was re-elected in the fall of 1916 and again in 1918, and still again in 1920, with no opposition.
The public school has been a favorite realm of the judge as we know and since coming to Sidney as a permanent resident he has served on the school board, the advocate of every advanced educational movement for the permanent betterment of system, school buildings, good salaries for good teachers and modern methods. No man in Cheyenne county has responded more liberally to the calls of the public than this pioneer of the Panhandle; no man has contributed more cheerfully to every public enterprise, or lent a greater service to the development of his county and community, for he has been a public figure since first coming to our great state. During the war his influence was given to the furtherance of its prosecution
and to the assistance, of the government in every manner as he was chairman of the Council of National Defense of the county, was a heavy buyer of Liberty Bonds and took an active part in every Liberty Bond drive in Sidney and Cheyenne county.
All his life the judge has been a supporter of the Democratic party and has taken an active part in shaping party policy in his community, and it was on the Democratic ticket that he was elected county superintendent; but his popularity was so great that his election to the bench was due to no party influence, but a spontaneous appreciation of the community as he ran on a non-partisan judicial ticket with no opposition. Fraternally the judge is affiliated With the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, while he and his wife are members and liberal supporters of the Episcopal church in which both are active workers.
On November 7, 1880, Judge Chambers married Miss Sarah Stevens, a native of Indiana, who died in 1884, leaving one son, William Ezra, a young but prosperous ranchman of Cheyenne county. February 3, 1885 the judge married Miss Susan Sanderson, also a Hoosier by birth, and they have nine living children, one having died in infancy: Clarence F., the manager of the Central Elevator Company of Sidney; Robert O., the editor of a newspaper at Minatare, Nebraska; Guy Cleveland, who volunteered for the service of his country when the United States entered the World War and saw service in France as a lieutenant, but has already returned, received his honorable discharge and taken up the pursuits of peace as assistant attorney for the Chicago, Rock Island and, Pacific Railroad; Anna Rebecca, the wife of J. D. Emrock, of Alliance, Nebraska, where she holds the important position of superintendent of schools; Eunice Viola, who married Oscar A. Olson, a rancher of Cheyenne county; Charles Allen, who enlisted in the army at the age of sixteen and was sent to a training camp in Maryland and though so young was advanced to the position of corporal of his company, but peace was declared before he saw service in Europe; Ray C., Vera Ellen and Arthur Dale, all of whom are still under the happy family roof tree.
PETER SODERQUIST, well known ranchman of Deuel county, is one of the early settlers of this region who has suffered all the hardships and privations incident to living in a newly opened country in the way of drought, blizzards and lack of water, as well as finding it hard to get money to buy supplies, but he believed in the future of this western country, stuck and today is the owner of seventeen hundred and twenty acres of land, over seven hundred of which are under irrigation as the land lies along the Lodgepole creek.
Mr. Soderquist was born near Malmo, Sweden, February 24, 1867, the son of Lars and Hanna (Monson) Soderquist, both natives of that country, where the father was a farmer. While serving in the army he was regimental saddle and boot maker, a trade which he learned from his father. After leaving the army he farmed in the summer time and followed his trade in the winter season, and died in 1911, aged eighty-two years. There were seven children in the family, of whom six survive: Andrew, of Montrose, Colorado; Lewis, of Vernal, Utah; Peter, of this sketch; Betty, the wife of Nels Martinson, of La Mar, Colorado; Ola and Anna, in Sweden, and one that died in infancy. The parents were members of the Lutheran Church. Peter Soderquist was educated in the public schools of Sweden and came to the United States in 1883, locating in Wahoo, Nebraska, but remained there only one winter before going to Julesburg, as one of his brothers had gone them shortly before. He and another brother started for the south divide, driving some cattle, when a storm came up and they spent the night in the snow just a few rods from the dugout prepared by the first brother, the storm preventing them knowing it. They erected sod buildings and then Peter and one brother went to Colorado seeking work. They had a hard time as so many men were out of work and few jobs were available; suffering from cold and lack of food on the way to different towns, they finally secured work with a farmer who watched them with a gun to see that they did not run off. Several months later Mr. Soderquist returned to Saunders county, Nebraska, as foreman of a ranch, remained two years before going west to make charcoal in the mountains but in 1892, took up land near Julesburg which he bought a year before. On November 4, 1892, Mr. Soderquist married Miss Hildah Anderson, the daughter of Jens and Anna (Nelson) Anderson, of Deuel county, and they became the parents of the following children: Louis, deceased; Anna A., Percival A., Addie E., Edith E., Edna N., Selma N., Grace L., and George J., all at home. Mrs. Soderquist was born a half mile from the home of her husband in Sweden but they did not meet until
years later here in Deuel county. After living on the farm a year Mr. and Mrs. Soderquist became disgusted as they were so far from town and water, and in the spring of 1893, came to Deuel county to buy land, living here since. With prosperity Mr. Soderquist bought more raw land, erected good buildings, sold and again bought, so that today he is one of the large landholders of the section. He put in his own irrigation system and is a progressive man, using the latest machinery.
Mr. Soderquist is a Republican; he ran for county commissioner being defeated by only two votes. He has been school trustee of three districts and was instrumental in securing the new court house for Chappell. He reads widely and is well posted on public affairs and can tell many reminiscences of being out in storms in the early days and the different experiences of those times.
WILLIAM W. FAUGHT, who is now living retired at Oshkosh, Garden county, is to be attributed with the distinction of pioneer honors in this county, where he established his residence more than thirty years ago, when it was still an integral part of Cheyenne county, and where he reclaimed and improved the valuable ranch property of which he is still the owner. A pioneer citizen of substantial worth and unqualified popularity, he well merits recognition in this history of the Nebraska Pan handle.
William Wilson Faught was born in Sandusky county, Ohio, January 17, 1850, and in the old Buckeye state were also born his parents, who were representatives of pioneer families of that commonwealth. He whose name introduces this review is a son of Levi and Rosanna (Miller) Faught. The father was born and reared in Perry county, Ohio, and in his native state he became a prosperous farmer. In 1864, he removed with his family to St. Joseph county, Michigan, and there continued his activities as an agriculturist about twenty years, as one of the honored pioneers of the county. Finally he removed to Goshen, Indiana, where he continued to reside until he was venerable in years, when he came to Nebraska to make his home with his son William W., of this sketch, arid three months after coming to Oshkosh he died, at the age of eighty-six years. His wife passed the closing years of her life at Three Rivers, St. Joseph county, Michigan, where she died at the age of eighty-eght (sic) years, both having been earnest members of the church, and his political faith having been that of the Republican party. Of the six children two sons and two daughters are now living.
William W. Faught acquired his rudimentary education in the public schools of his native state and was about fourteen years old at the time of the family removal to Michigan, where he continued to attend school, at the same time he contributed his quota to the work of the home farm. At the age of nineteen years he rented his father's farm, in St. Joseph county, Michigan, and there continued operations five years. He then removed to Fremont, Ohio, and for the ensuing two years was engaged in selling the celebrated, J. I. Case threshing machines throughout his assigned Ohio territory. Thereafter he developed a prosperous contracting business, in the construction of bridges and drainage ditches, with which line of enterprise he was identified in Ohio, until the spring of 1887, when he came to Nebraska and became a pioneer settlers in what is now Garden county. He shipped his household goods by railroad to Lodgepole; Cheyenne county, whence he transported them overland to the present Garden county, then a part of Cheyenne county. Here he filed entry on homestead, pre-emption and tree claims, to which he perfected his title in due course of time, and here girded himself most gallantly for the work of reclaiming and improving his land, to which he eventually added, by purchase, until he figured as the owner of a fine ranch property of eight hundred acres, improved with modern buidlings (sic) and showing every other evidence of thrift and prosperity as the passing years contributed their largeness. He continued in the active supervision of this ranch until 1910, when he rented the property to his son and son-in-law and removed to Oshkosh, where he has since lived virtually retired, although he retains the ownership of the valuable farm which he developed as a pioneer agriculturist and stockgrower of the county.
Influential and loyal in community affairs Mr. Faught served one term--three years--as county commissioner of Deuel county, prior to the erection of Garden county, and he gave several years of effective service as a member of the school board of his district. His political allegiance is given to the Republican party, and he gives liberal support to the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which his wife is an active member.
March 12, 1869, recorded the marriage of Mr. Faught to Miss Eva Stults, who was born in Sandusky county, Ohio, a daughter of James and Matilda (Johnson) Stults, the
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller