Resource Center, On-Line Library
EDWARD W. SAYRE AND FAMILY.
agement of the old home place; and Florence, Mary and Dora, who remain at home, are attending the public schools of Gering.
EDWARD W. SAYRE. -- The pioneer families of the Panhandle who played their parts in the vital drama that has turned this section of Nebraska into a paradise for the homeseeker, developing the wild rolling prairie into one of the richest farming sections of the western hemisphere, dotted with thriving communities, have reason to hold themselves responsible for much of the present day progress and prosperity, for it was their leadership and courage that opened what was for so many years known as the "Great American Desert," to settlement. While many of those who experienced the actual hardships and privations incident to the early days have passed away, there still remain many, who, through sheer force of will and determination, and the necessary energy, brought out of primeval conditions what have become twentieth century actualities. Among these is found Edward Sayre, who came with the homesteaders and took a pre-emption in old Cheyenne county in the year 1888.
Mr. Sayre was born in far off India, in 1865, being the son of Edward H. and Mary C. (Hulfish) Sayre, the former born in South Hampton, England. The father was a Presbyterian minister who devoted his life to God's work as a missionary, being sent to India, where his son, Edward junior, was born and received his early educational training. Reverend Sayre was a fine student and after taking up his residence in India devoted much study and time to the languages of that country, becoming one of the recognized authorities of the Hindustan language from the literature of which he made many and valuable translations into English. After serving many years in the foreign fields as a representative of the Presbyterian church Edward Sayre retired from the ministry and is now spending the sunset years of his life at Gering.
Edward W. Sayre, after finishing his elementary education, took a four year's course in the high school and then spent one year in the Davenport College, at Davenport, Iowa, thus laying the foundation of the exceptionally fine education to which he has ever since been adding by his wide reading of the best English literature, a deep study of the subjects in which his business interests have led him and by keeping abreast of the present day trend of events in the periodicals.
Mr. Sayre was only nineteen years old when he began his mercantile career in Illinois. In July, 1888, Mr. Sayre bought the mercantile stock of Kiefer, Hastings & Company at Gering, which he ran until thirteen years ago when he became the first merchant of Morrill. Mr. Sayre was the first man to build a brick store in the town, as he saw it had a future and his faith has been justified.
More than ten years ago he bought a quarter section of land in section 16, 23, 59, which he has since managed. Mr. Sayre was one of the first officers of the irrigation company, of which he was a promoter; he has served his county in the capacity of treasurer for two terms, and for some years was president of the village board of Gering. Mr. Sayre's fraternal relations are with the Masonic order, of which he has been a member for many years. Politically he casts his vote with the Republican party, of which he is a staunch supporter, though his influence is given to the best man for office in all local elections.
In 1889, Mr. Sayre married Miss Margaret Wood, who was born and reared in Iowa, where she received her education. Nine children came to bless this union: Edward D., who served in the Ninety-first, the Wild Cat Division, during the war with Germany; Ruth, the wife of William S. Proudfit; Kenneth, Doris, Faith, Harry, Margaret, Elizabeth and William all of whom are still at home with their parents. All of the children have been given good educational advantages. Mr. and Mrs. Sayre have proved themselves good friends to the schools, and are the advocates of all improvements that tend to the uplift and development of the civic and communal life of their section.
JAMES O'KANE, deceased, one of the pioneer residents of Cheyenne county who took a prominent part in the business and agricultural development of this section and a man to whom pioneer honors are due, was a constructive builder here. He not only was one of the men connected with the railroad, that opened up the county to settlement, but he later became a prominent and successful business man, who took part in the civic affairs of Cheyenne county and Sidney, always assisting in all movements for the general good of his country and community.
Mr. O'Kane was born in Indiana, January 11, 1848, the son of Joseph C. and Mary (Davis) O'Kane, to whom were born eight children. Five of them are living. Mr. O'Kane was reared and educated in his na-
tive state, but like so many young men of that period, believed there were more opportunities for a man in the new western country, and in 1873 came to Sidney, where he was employed in the freight office of the Union Pacific Railroad for a number of years. Following this position he was engaged in other railroad work for a time, but saw openings worth while in stock raising, which was at its height at the time, and invested in that business. He was a man of excellent business ability, made money on his cattle in the days of the open range, became recognized as one of the prominent live stockmen of his day and was farsighted enough to dispose of his interests when the open range days were over and thus made money by selling at an opportune time. After this he bought and sold property in Sidney; he knew this county and the country of the Panhandle well and was able to give his clients the best of advice and the benefit of his knowledge and experiences. The real estate business was a success and Mr. O'Kane handled large land deals involving many thousands of dollars. He became one of the prominent figures in the financial circles of Sidney and western Nebraska, a position he held to the time of his death.
In 1878, Mr. O'Kane married Miss Bridget Brown, a native of Ireland who came to the United States in 1870, and to them were born six children: Mayme, who married Fred Bard, of Aberdeen, Washington; Francis J., who lives at Casper, Wyoming; James, of Great Falls, Montana; Gertrude, the wife of E. S. Stokes, of Sidney, and two who died in infancy.
Mr. O'Kane died December 21, 1902. He was a member of the Catholic church and a Democrat.
CHARLES M. HADLER**, one of the well known and successful business men of Sidney, who is engaged in handlng (sic) real estate on an extensive scale and also owns an abstract office, is a leading spirit in the development of the town and Cheyenne county.
He was born in Elho (sic), Nevada, May 14, 1875, the son of James S. and Mary E. (Byerley) Hadley, the father being a native of Indiana, and the mother of Ohio. To them nine children were born: William H., who lives at Fort Russell, Wyoming; Samuel A., lives at Loveland, Colorado; Clarence E., resides at Steamboat Springs, Colorado; Charles M., of this review; Florence E., married Dr. B. W. Frazey, and lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming; James F., lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming; Mary E., is the wife of John Bowman of Sidney: Bertha L. married Nathan Mack, of Wymore, Nebraska, and Albert J., of Cheyenne, Wyoming.
James S. Hadley was a contractor who engaged in that line of business for a number of years before moving to Cheyenne county in 1886. He took up a homestead here on Pumpkin creek were (sic) he spent the remainder of his life. Mr. Hadley died in Sidney May 10, 1905, being survived by his wife until May 31, 1918. He raised stock after coming to the Panhandle, and was an active man to the time of his death. Mr. Hadley was a member of the Odd Fellows, the Methodist church and a Republican.
Charles M. Hadley was reared and attended the public schools of Cheyenn (sic) county; when old enough he became a cow boy and engaged in handling cattle for a few years, then entered the official life of the county as assessor in 1903. He served four years, during which time he became familiar with the country and business. Upon leaving office Mr. Hadley opened a real estate and abstract office where he has won a high reputation as a business man and success from a financial point of view. He is popular in the business circles of Sidney, being progressive in ideas and a booster for this section of Nebraska. Since locating in Sidney Mr. Hadley has taken an active part in all civic and communal life and helped build up the town. He is a Democrat in politics.
**Surname HADLEY throughout article.
ANDREW K. GREENLEE, a pioneer settler of Cheyenne county who has played an important part in the development and settlement of this section of the Panhandle, is the principal owner of the largest department store in western Nebraska, and vice-president of the First National Bank of Sidney. Mr. Greenlee has taken an active part in all the changes that have taken place here and is one of the constructive men who have made the present prosperity possible. He was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, October 25, 1860, the son of Albert Keith and Martha (Barnes) Greenlee, both natives of Pennsylvania. To them were born three children: Andrew, of this review; Ernest, who lives in Fostoria, Ohio, and Ralph, deceased.
The faher (sic) was a successful farmer who was gaining a high standing as an agriculturist as a young man. He died when Andrew was seven years old and was survived by his widow who reared the family. Mrs. Greenlee lived until June 30, 1918. The father was a Re-
MRS. JULIA SCANLON AND HUSBAND.
publican in politics and a member of the Baptist church; his wife was a member of the Methodist church.
Andrew Greenlee attended the elementary public schools, then entered the normal school at Edinborough, Pennsylvania, later taking some courses at Valpariso Normal School, Valpariso, Indiana. Soon after leaving that institution he came west to York county, Nebraska, to engage in the milling business, which he followed one year, then moved on west to Cheyenne county when this part of the state was little settled. Mr. Greenlee took up a homestead here in 1885, which he still owns, engaged in farming on his land which was seven miles southwest of Sidney and remained there until 1893, when he moved into the town. For a time he worked for a merchant; learning the mercantile business thoroughly. He then started a store of his own, later entering into partnership with H. P. Benson. Their trade was good from the first. They enjoyed the business and weathered the hard years of the early '90s, remaining the leading merchants of Sidney from first establishing themselves. Late in 1908 the business of F. L. Van Gorder, a merchant of Sidney, was merged with that of Greenlee & Benson, and early in 1909 the business was incorporated under the name of The Sidney Mercantile Co. F. W. Vath, F. L. Van Gorder and A. K. Greenlee, incorporators; H. P. Benson later purchased a block of shares.
The business continued to prosper and The McLernon corner which had been purchased, became too small. At this time Mr. Greenlee turned in the Urbach property adjoining and in 1916 both of these locations were covered with the present modern and substantial building, than which there is none better in the western part of the state. The second story of this splendid brick structure is now leased to, and ably conducted by Voclav, Kline and wife.
Following the death of Mr. Benson in 1909, that of Mr. Vath in 1918, and the retirement of F. L. Van Gorder in 1920, Mr. Greenlee purchased the holdings of each, so that now the entire business is owned by the Greenlees, (named above) and Glen D. Van Gorder, a promising young business man.
They have made a department store of the business and now carry the largest stock in western Nebraska. Mr. Greenlee is a keen, far-sighted business man who has dealt squarely with all his customers, has the confidence of the people and is today rated high in the mercantile business of the state. He has not confined his energies to one line of endeavor but has entered the banking business, owns a block of the stock of the First National Bank and is vice-president of that flourishing institution. He is constructive as a banker and many of the successful policies of the bank have been adoped (sic) at his suggestion. He still is the owner of a large amount of land in the county which he believes is a valuable asset.
May 20, 1888, Mr. Greenlee married Miss Elizabeth McAlester, a native of Ireland, and they have had five children: one died in infancy; Martha R., Catharine, Albert D., and Roy E.
Mr. Greenlee is a member of the Masonic order, of the Odd Fellows, the Rebeccas (sic), the Workmen and of the Episcopal church. In politics he is a Republican. All the years of his residence in Cheyenne county and Sidney, Mr. Greenlee has taken an active part in civic affairs and given of his time and energies to assist in the development of this section. He has been a prominent figure in many good works, including the activities of the county in the World war.
DENNIS JOSEPH SCANLON, deceased, one of the pioneer settlers of Cheyenne county and Sidney, was a man who did much for the opening up and development of this section of the county and the town, as he was the first druggist in all this western country and as there were few doctors here then Mr. Scanlon was relied upon by the people to prescribe for them when a physician's services could not be obtained. He did not confine his energies to his drug house alone but became one of the first and ablest bankers of the Panhandle where his constructive talents, high integrity and foresight assisted many homesteaders in settling here.
Mr. Scanlon was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, February 9, 1849. He was reared and educated in his native land, but like so many young, ambitious Irishmen, wished to get ahead in the world and came to the United States in 1873, to seek his fortune. Soon after landing here he enlisted in the army where he served ten years as a hospital steward. It was while with the United States forces that Mr. Scanlon was stationed at Sidney Post, now Sidney, in 1881. He liked this western country, believed there was a great future for this section and when his last term of enlistment was finished, he settled in Sidney, opening the pioneer drug store here in 1885, which served a wide territory. People came to have great confidence in Mr. Scanlon as his long term as
hospital steward had given him practical knowledge of both drugs and medical practice and for years he served the people in this dual capacity and it was fortunate that the early settlers had such an able man in the drug business for there were many times when he saved lives in emergencies. The value of this work can not be estimated but was shown by the residents of this section in their love and faith in him. After Sidney began to grow and the country to settle up, Mr. Scanlon saw opportunities it financial circles and was one of the men who instigated and organized the early bank which later became the First National Bank of today. He bought a large block of the stock of the bank and became its first president, an office he held to the time of his death. Mr. Scanlon developed marked talents as a financier, was constructive in his policies, won the confidence of the people which is so necessary in the furtherance of banking business and became one of the prominent figures in the business circles of the Panhandle, where he was always helping men to become established. It was through him that many homesteaders were able to locate in Cheyenne county, prove up and become established farmers and ranchers. The amount of good which Mr. Scanlon did in this manner will never be known but he must be considered one of the great developers of his day. When he died it was a loss to the community and the county, as well as the business world.
March 21, 1880, Mr. Scanlon married Miss Julia Conelly, a native of Ireland, who came to the United States in 1872. She was married in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, and in May, 1881, came to Sidney, Nebraska, and spent the remainder of her life here. Mr. Scanlon died August 10, 1912, after living more than a quarter of a century in the Panhandle and Cheyenne county. He lived to see all the marvelous development here, and was a part of it, for, he took an active part in all civic affairs and those which have made Sidney the city of prominence it is today. He was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, belonged to the Catholic church and was a Republican.
JAMES W. JOHNSON, vice-president and cashier of the American State Bank of Sidney, comes of a banking family, as his father was a financier all his life. Mr. Johnson has taken an interest in Cheyenne affairs for many years, long before he came here to live, and today is one of the prominent and successful bankers of the Panhandle. He was born in Iowa, December 26, 1878, the son of Frank C. and Jane (Armstrong) Johnson, the former a native of Canada, while the mother was born in Ireland. There were nine children in the Johnson family, of whom three are living: Sarah, married Spencer M. Brooks and lives in Omaha; Ruby also lives in Omaha, and James W., the subject of this review. Frank C. Johnson engaged in banking when a young man, became associated with other prominent men in financial affairs in Omaha, where his rise as a banker led him to become interested in other banks, and he was president of the Midland State Bank and the Citizens Bank of Omaha. He severed his connections with the banks in Omaha but continued in the banking business in Iowa, also becoming a large landholder and the owner of some fourteen hundred acres of fine farm land there. He was a member of the Odd Fellows lodge, was a Democrat in politics, and a communicant of the Methodist church. Mr. Johnson died in 1896, being survived by his widow until 1913.
James W. Johnson was reared in Omaha and attended the public schools, graduating from the high school in 1896. Soon after this he entered the Omaha National Bank where he remained four years, learning the practical side of banking business. Following this Mr. Johnson accepted a position with the First National Bank, of Omaha. During this time he had become a proficient bank man, had studied the various branches of finance and became vice-president of the bank at Spearfish, South Dakota, where he put his excellent policies into practice, gaining a reputation as a constructive man of affairs, whose policies were progressive yet conservative. His reputation as an able banker became known and Mr. Johnson was offered and accepted the office of treasurer of the Guarantee Trust Company of Chicago. For four years he held this position of responsibility and trust, and by his ability assisted materially in the management and policies of the company. For some time Mr. Johnson had been identified with interests in Cheyenne county, as he became interested in banking business here in 1902. He made several trips. a year to the Panhandle, oftentimes four, and in 1918, came to Cheyenne county and Sidney to live. He saw that there was a future in the banking circles of the Panhandle which were so rapidly developing. Mr. Johnson bought a large block of stock of the Sidney State Bank, after coming west, at once introduced many good idease (sic) in its management, as he was vice-president. The bank was consolidated later with the American Bank and Mr. Johnson assumed the duties of vice-president and cashier. Under his able guidance the bank has grown, is
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller