NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library











ment left Camp Dodge, and he received his discharge January 3, 1919. In march (sic) following he came to Bridgeport with William Ritchie, Jr., and has been engaged in the practice of law here ever since with encouraging success. He is locally in charge of the land belonging to the Belmont Irrigating Canal & Water Power Company. In politics Mr. Canaday is a Democrat and fraternally a Mason, belonging to Lodge No. 19, A. F. & A. M. at Lincoln. He belongs to the Christian Science church.

    CYRUS, VAN PELT. -- Probably no pioneers of Banner county are better or more favorably known than the Van Pelts, and the records show that Mrs. Nancy (Lucas) Van Pelt was the oldest living homesteader in the county when she died June 23, 1920. In association with her son, Cyrus Van Pelt and her daughter, Mrs. Sarah J. Johnston, who have been long identified with county affairs and development, they owned five thousand, five hundred acres of valuable land.
   Cyrus Van Pelt was born in Marion county, Iowa, April 18, 1858, a son of Thomas C. and Nancy (Lucas) Van Pelt. The father was born in Highland county, Ohio, and moved from there to Iowa in 1856, where he engaged in farming until the outbreak of the Civil War. He enlisted in the Fortieth Iowa Infantry, later came home on furlough on account of sickness, then returned to his regiment and died in camp on July 14, 1863. He was a man of sterling character, industrious in peace and brave in war. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and gave his political support to the Republican party. Mr. Van Pelt's mother was born in Highland county, Ohio, March 12, 1825, and resided in Banner county, esteemed and beloved by all who knew her. There were six children in the family: Sarah J., who is the widow of Samuel B. Johnston, resided many years, with her mother; Jonathan, who died in 1880, married Rose Plummer; Mary, who is the widow of A. B. Stanfield, lives at Greybull, Wyoming; William, who lives in Banner county, married Blanche Snyder; Cyrus, of Banner county; and Thomas, who is deceased, is survived by his widow, Mrs. Lottie (Brookheart) Van Pelt, who lives near Flowerfield.
   Cyrus Van Pelt attended school in Iowa and remained at home with his people in Marion county until fifteen years old, then lived in Page county for seven years, afterward was in Maryville, Missouri, for two and a half years, and in Des Moines, Iowa, for four and a half years. In 1887, Mr. Van Pelt came to Cheyenne, now Banner county, homesteaded and bought a tree claim. He now operates his own and his sister's land, raising cattle extensively. For the first few years after coming here, the Van Pelts engaged in crop raising but when the long season of drought fell in the Nebraska country, they turned their attention to cattle and it was not unusual to have five hundred head a year. Climatic changes have been brought about, a change in agriculture, and during the past few years Mr. Van Pelt has been farming on a large scale, assisted by the latest improved machinery including tractors, threshers, trucks and modern farm implements of all kinds. He raises about two hundred and thirty head of cattle since devoting more land to farming purposes.
   Mr. Van Pelt, in recalling early days here, mentions the necessity of hauling water a distance of four miles for about four years. His first well went down two hundred and fifty feet and the water was drawn in the old fashioned way with an upright shaft to which a horse was attached. James Campbell had the first windmill in this neighborhood. Wood was plentiful in the near by canyons and logs were cut there, from which houses and barns were built that are yet in good repair. Many settlers left the country during the days of drought and Mr. Van Pelt was able to buy their wire fencing for a comparatively small amount, and today has twenty-five miles of such fence on his ranch. Many cattle were lost in the early blizzards that visited this section and on many occasions Mr. Van Pelt had to cover a territory of twenty-six miles to get his cattle back in the home corral. Among other changes in the country the growth of Gering and Scottsbluff are worthy of note. In 1891, when he visited Gering the only hotel was a poor log affair where now stands a palatial structure, and Scottsbluff was only a small hamlet.
   When Mr. Van Pelt came to Banner county his mother accompanied him, with his sister and a brother, and they homesteaded their land cornering together, so that their log house, sixteen by thirty-two feet with an ell, could rest on the corner of all three homesteads, thus all lived in the same house and at the same time on their own homesteads. In all the plans and decisions, the mother was a leading factor. Despite her ninety-four years, she continued to enjoy good health, had a very retentive memory and excellent eyesight, and enjoyed church attendance and social intercourse as if she were many years younger.



   Cyrus Van Pelt was married March 26, 1890, to Miss Jennie W. McKee, a daughter of David S. and Sarah A. (Savage) McKee, who came to Banner county in 1885. Mrs. Van Pelt is the youngest of their six living children, the others being: Alexander, who lives in Pennsylvania, married Sallie Patton; James S., who lives in Banner county, married Malinda Ferguson; David, who lives at Council Bluffs, Iowa, married Ida Bolton; Robert W., who lives at Council Bluffs, married Fannie M. Wheeler; and William S., who lives, at Denver, married Alma Sutton.
   Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Van Pelt: Carl P., who married Bessie Try, who died in November, 1918, of influenza, has lived at home since then; Luella, is the wife of Franklin Schumaker, of Banner county; and Edna, who died when aged fifteen years. Mrs. Cyrus Van Pelt is. a member of the Presbyterian church, and Mr. Van Pelt not only was very helpful in the organization of the church in this neighborhood, but also of school district number thirty-five, of which he has been treasurer for a number of years. He has served in other positions of responsibility in the county, being the first county treasurer, in which office he served two terms. From an accident in childhood, Mr. Van Pelt has been somewhat handicapped all his life, but in his relations with others has never taken advantage of this, nor has ever claimed relief from social, neighborly duties, or citizenship responsibilities. He is held in universal respect and esteem.

    WALTER A. CANADAY, second son of Hon. Joseph S. and Mary Jane (Winters) Canaday, was born at Minden, Nebraska, March 22, 1893. He was graduated from the high school of Minden in 1913, after which he took a commercial course in Boyle's Business College at Omaha. He then went on his father's farm in Kearney county and remained interested there until in August, 1917, when he joined a medical corps for service in the World War, accompanied the American Expeditionary Force to France, where he served form August, 1918, until May, 1919, when he was discharged. He returned home and visited one week, then came to Bridgeport and embarked in the real estate business in partnership with R. C. Neumann. Mr. Canaday's business future looks bright. Like his brother he belongs to the Masonic lodge and Christian Science church. Both are held in the highest possible esteem.

    JOHN S. EMERSON. -- Many men are moulded by the circumstances of life, as lack of early opportunity oftentimes changes a man's entire career. Not every youth can or does overcome obstacles and make his way along the path to success as has Mr. Emerson, whose real estate operations and extensive farm interests make him one of the very responsible men of western Nebraska.
   John S. Emerson was born near Afton, Iowa, September 25, 1875, the son of W. J. and Christian J. Emerson. The father was born in Ohio and the mother in Montreal, Canada, and they had six children, four of whom are living, but John S. is the only one in the middle west. When he was only seventeen years old, circumstnces (sic) gave Mr. Emerson the care of his mother as well as the support and education of his two sisters in addition to finishing his own education. While most boys of this age have at least a part of their time for some diversion, Mr. Emerson had to keep steadily at work and was rewarded later by seeing both his sisters graduate from school and to find himself the possessor of a good, practical education. In order to earn money for the family and himself Mr. Emerson, while very young learned the photograph (sic) business which he followed with success for several years. While working in this line at Crete, Nebraska, he also attended Doane College, taking four lines of study. This not only took all his day time but his evenings and many times a good share of the night for study. He was then twenty-five years old.
   Later Mr. Emerson located at Hartington, Cedar county, Nebraska, where he had a photograph studio and before long he owned and operated two studios and two hotels. He gave personal supervision to each and made all show good returns. A good opportunity came to sell and Mr. Emerson disposed of his business after running them four years. While taking a much needed vacation in the northern part of the county he believed he saw a good opportunity and on the spot purchased the general mercantile store owned by August Krouse in the old inland town of St. James, near the Missouri river. Mr. Emerson immediately took charge of the eight thousand dollars stock and a fourth class post office. He built up a good trade by hard work and good business judgment and was making money but was not contented to live and rear his family in an inland town without the educational and other advantages. He could not sell his business or trade it for anything paying



as well because St. James was so far from a railroad. He believed it was a case of moving his store to a railroad or building a road to the town and he chose the latter course. In three years this was accomplished, a thing that the citizens of St. James had been trying to accomplish for forty years, for they had made every effort to get the Northwestern Railroad to come into the town and had given it up. After the line was completed and extended and the new towns of Maskell, Obert and Wynot were established, Mr. Emerson found not only a ready sale for his store but also for his half interests in the new town sites which he had acquired in the railroad building operations. The country through which the line was built was well settled, the towns grew rapidly; Wynot being at the end of the line grew especially rapid, gaining five hundred inhabitants in a few months. After selling his store Mr. Emerson moved to the new town and also disposed of most of his real estate interests in Cedar county. He was still looking for business opportunities and while on a trip through the southwestern portion of Nebraska was impressed with the need of more railroads there and the consequent development, so he moved west and became identified with this section. He purchased a large ranch in Banner county, which he still owns and though conditions have not been favorable to railroad building he is glad he came. After spending a few years on his ranch, where he recuperated in health from the strenuous years of hard work, Mr. Emerson moved to Scottsbluff where he is extensively engaged in a real estate and farm loan business, establishing the Emerson Land Company. He has shown his faith in the Panhandle by investing heavily in farm lands until he now owns forty-five hundred acres located in Scottsbluff, Banner, Kimball and Sioux counties.
   Mr. Emerson is a quiet, unassuming man who delights in his family and friends. On December 31, 1902, Mr. Emerson married Miss Florence I. Averill, the daughter of Dr. G. A. Averill, of Corning, Iowa. Three children have been born to this union: Ruth, Beatrice and Rex, all of whom are being trained in the school of Democracy, the American public school, and Mr. Emerson expects to send them to college.
   The Emerson family are members of the Methodist church and Mr. Emerson is a Republican. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and is a Thirty-second degree Mason.

    EDWARD D. SCHICK. -- The improvements which have been made in almost every line of industry within recent years, have been kept pace with in plumbing and gas-fitting. New methods are being used and more durable parts taking the place of many of the old construction materials, while modern devises (sic) have added to comfort, safety and sanitation. The plumbing house that his skilled workers who carry on the business along modern improved lines, is the one the discriminating people of Scottsbluff prefer to deal with and this is evidenced by the success that has visited Edward D. Schick and his partner since they established ther (sic) busness (sic) here in 1918.
   Edward D. Schick was born at Cleveland, Ohio, February 4, 1872. His parents were Otto and Mary (Krabach) Schick, the former of whom was born at Baden, Germany, and died aged seventy-nine years, in 1918, and the latter born in Ohio and residing at Columbus Grove. They had the following children: Fannie, who is the wife of Fred Fisher, of Toledo, Ohio; Frank, who is a steamfitter at Cleveland; Edward D., who is a respected citizen of Scottsbluff; Fred, who is a machinist at Cincinnati; and Bertha, who is the wife of Cass Clouson, a bookkeeper with Marshall Field & Company, Chicago, Illinois. The family was reared in the Roman Catholic church. By trade the father was a cooper but afterward became a farmer and for forty years lived on his own farm near Defiance, Ohio, then sold and retired to Columbus Grove.
   After his school day Edward D. Schick learned the plumbing and steamfitting trade and went to Denver, at the age of seventeen years, after which he worked at his trade until 1893, when he engaged in mining in Colorado until 1901. Then he operated a shop of his own for eight years in Denver. In 1915, Mr. Schick came to Scottsbluff and immediately bought a residence on the edge of town. It now is well within the town limits and he and his family have many near neighbors, so rapid has been the growth of Scottsbluff. This growth has been profiable (sic) to Mr. Schick for his skilled work is needed in the construction of both residences and business buildings of any pretention (sic). In 1918, with Mr. Ray, Mr. Schick established his plumbing and heating business and has prospered, giving close attention to his work and is doing well.
   In 1895, Mr. Schick was united in marriage to Miss Maude Dufoe, who was born in Iowa, and is a daughter of Alexander and Emma (Doyle) Dufoe. The mother of Mrs. Schuck resides with her at Scottsbluff, but, in 1888, the family had moved to Denver and there



the father died, being then aged ninety-four years. Mr. and Mrs. Schick have the following children: Thelma, who is the wife of C. L. Ray; Paloma, who is the wife of Jack Brashier, a farmer in Scotts Bluff county; and Vernon and Beatrice, both of whom are in school. Mr. Schick and family belong to the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he in an independent voter, and fraternally he belongs to the Woodmen of the World. He is one of the representative business men of the city.

    THOMAS KNAPP, who is one of the younger business men of Scottsbluff, in point of time, is firmly established here in the automobile repair and painting busness (sic) and is proprietor of the Baxtrom Auto Paint Company and its branches. Mr. Knapp was born at Omaha, Nebraska, May 18, 1880.
   The parents of Mr. Knapp were Jarred M. and Ellen M. (Edwards) Knapp, both of whom were born near Columbus, Ohio, in which state they were married. They came west and located first at Council Bluffs, Iowa. He was appoined (sic) an Indian agent and had many exciting adventures. He drove the third express on the Oregon trail and made trips to Salt Lake, Utah, in the early days. Three time (sic) the Mormons kidnapped his two brothers and twice he succeeded in reclaiming them, but failed in the third attempt. He acquired land in Nebraska on which a part of the city of Omaha now stands and engaged in farming there. He died at Omaha, where the mother of Mr. Knapp yet lives, having resided on the same place for over forty-three years. In politics the father of Mr. Knapp was a Republican. He belonged to the Masonic fraternity, was a Knight of Pythias and an Odd Fellow, and was active in the organization known as the Knights of Labor.
   Thomas Knapp was the only child born to his parents. He grew up near and in Omaha, and attended school until he was eleven years old. Since that age he has, unaided, earned his own way in the world and through industry has prospered. For twelve years he worked for the Samuel Lee Orchard Carpet Company, Omaha, and then eight: years for the Union Outfitting Company, making a very creditable record in that his services were so long retained by these two representative firms. During a cyclone that swept Omaha, he lost property valued at many thousands of dollars. On May 7, 1918, Mr. Knapp came to Scottsbluff and started his present business with two assistants, while he now requires seventeen skilled men. Mr. Knapp is head of the largest auto painting, body building, and top making concern in the west, known as the L. A. Mann Company. This firm will operate twelve places of business before the close of 1921, and have plans all made for a three story building in Scottsbluff, size forty-eight by one hundred and sixty-six feet. Mr. Knapp knows eighty percent of the residents of Scottsbluff and Morrill counties by name and is known as a success wherever he goes, as is shown by the many branches he has taken as a failure and made big successes with them. Mr. Knapp lives with his hand in his pocket for anyone he can help and is known as "Chrismas (sic) basket Knapp" on account of his personal efforts to the poor at Christmas time.

    WILLIAM A. GORDON. -- There is not any doubt but that the real estate man of today succeeds by reason of the confidence placed in him by his clients; therefore the most prosperous men and firms in the real estate business are those who are able to advise wisely and willing to deal honestly. A very successful real estate man at Scottsbluff is William A. Gordon, the head of the Gordon Realty Company, that is doing much work for the upbuilding of the city along lines of beauty as well as utility. Mr. Gordon came to Scottsbluff in 1915, but has been a resident of Nebraska since boyhood. He was born in Jones county, Iowa, in 1872.
   The parents of Mr. Gordon were William P. and Mary (Lawrence) Gordon, who were born, reared and married in Iowa. Of their six children, William A. is the first born, the other being as follow: Anna, who lives at Denver, is the widow of Lee Young; Etta, who is the wife of L. W. Douglass, now of Nemaha county; Bessie, who is the wife of Samuel Stone, a restaurant and bakery man of Minneapolis; Charles F., who is a promising young newspaper writer of Scottsbluff; and Ella, who resides with her widowed mother in this city. By trade Mr. Gordon's father was a blacksmith and worked at the same in Iowa, then in Nebraska and in Kansas; in 1874, he went back to Iowa, but returned to Nemaha county in 1879. At one time he was a heavy breeder of Hambletonian horses. Mr. Gordon owned a shop at Johnson, Nebraska, and did fairly well as a business man and died at that place. He was a staunch Democrat in politics but never consented to hold office.
   William A. Gordon attended school at. Johnson and then learned the barber's trade which he followed until 1894, when he went into the grain business at Glenrock, Nebraska, where

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller